• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Yeah fuck TOTG Ember room. I've lost some serious shit there. What in the world is this about? Merchant build? What does that even mean?He's on a path that runs behind where you come down the ramp but he can aggro you as you are coming down so as you're moving forward he'll just come running up behind to blam your innards.

Also, If you take a few steps after the white fog door in ToTG, you can hear that motherfucker running for you. You can wait for him to come to you and not have to worry about aggroing other enemies.

Max

I am not Max
Fuck the Demon Firesage.

Spent all last night trying to kill the stupid thing with my +1 Lightning Zweihander. He has this one-hit KO leap attack if I get far enough away to use spells. But if I'm too close he either butt-slams me or uses the fire blast nonsense. UGH.

Mike M

Nick N
Fuck the Demon Firesage.

Spent all last night trying to kill the stupid thing with my +1 Lightning Zweihander. He has this one-hit KO leap attack if I get far enough away to use spells. But if I'm too close he either butt-slams me or uses the fire blast nonsense. UGH.

That fight was a nail biter, but I was being very sloppy and got really lucky that he never capitalized on his opportunities to finish me off when I had to chug estus. Pretty sure I ate every last explosion move to the face every time. I was always too close to avoid it in time, presuming I ever saw him hit the wall with his axe, or whatever the hell he was doing...

Sullichin

Maybe I'll just try and farm chunks to upgrade my sword, and then try

He's susceptible to bleed if you have a weapon that inflicts it, it takes a good chunk of his health. Also, try using the crest shield to block in case you're too close to get away from that blast attack, it has good magic resist. Try to stay behind him. If he looks like he's about to smash his weapon into the ground get the hell away from him.

MMaRsu

Guys i would LOVE some help.. i started ng+, im in the depths now and i want to upgrade my lightning zweihammer to+ 5 asap.. whats the best way to go? Im lvl 103 with 40vit using a lighting iato+5.

Canova

Banned
Guys i would LOVE some help.. i started ng+, im in the depths now and i want to upgrade my lightning zweihammer to+ 5 asap.. whats the best way to go? Im lvl 103 with 40vit using a lighting iato+5.

dont you need a titanite slab then? why u running around in depth, go back to the asylum

Sullichin

What's it at now?
You can trade snuggly a rubbish for one chunk, kill the black knight in undead burg for another. You can try the early crystal lizards. Other than that you'll need to progress in the game. The fire boulder throwing giant in Sen's Fortress drops one. There's a chunk across from the blacksmith in AL. The royal sentinels in the room before O&S have a chance of dropping them. Drained New Londo has a treasure chest or two with chunks and the darkwraiths can drop them. If you're at +4 and just need a slab, kill the asylum demon.

I farmed about 20 titanite chunks in New Londo Ruins in about 6-7 runs, running from Firelink down to the shortcut, killing all the wraiths down there and then teleporting back. Also got a slab in that time.

Later with another character I cleared out the lizards in Great Hollow and got pretty much crap, none of the magic stuff I needed... except a titanite slab there too.

Nothing compared to my friend though. He got THREE slabs on a single clear of Great Hollow.

Booshka

It seems my PS3 is blessed. I never had any problem getting a weapon to drop. I got Channeler's Trident twice, when I got to Duke's Archives for the first time (First playthrough and NG+).

Slabs from Darkwraiths on the other hand.... FUUUUUUU

For your Dex/Int build I just messed around with a character builder and came up with this one.

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=244612124

It's pretty solid, you can adjust the stats to your liking, but I would keep Dex at 40 and Int at 44, then mess with the other ones. The armor is whatever, but it will get you 56 poise and decent resistance with the sorcery boost of the Dusk Crown.

Mxrz

Fuck the Demon Firesage.

He's one of the bosses where you just keep rolling either left or right. Keeping them at enough of an angle means you'll be behind them when they attack. Run in, hit, etc. Just watch out on the wave-explosion thing, there's a bit of it that comes comes behind him. Give it a second then rush in.

Pretty much anything with a heavy/slow swing can be taken by just circling. The AI will attack even if it can't hit you.

Canova

Banned
Fuck the Demon Firesage.

here's a trick, his fire attack is actually magic attack. so if you have high magic resistance shield or armor you're good to go

I farmed about 20 titanite chunks in New Londo Ruins in about 6-7 runs, running from Firelink down to the shortcut, killing all the wraiths down there and then teleporting back. Also got a slab in that time.

Later with another character I cleared out the lizards in Great Hollow and got pretty much crap, none of the magic stuff I needed... except a titanite slab there too.

Nothing compared to my friend though. He got THREE slabs on a single clear of Great Hollow.

I got 2 slabs in my recent plunge in the Great Hollow. I was sporting Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and Symbol of Avarice.

Hey do you guys have any tips on how not to get back stabbed during PVP? Every time I get in a duel I get hit in the back some how, even though it appears my character is too far to even get hit at all
Its annoying and I always lose matches like that. At first I thought it was lag but it constantly happens. Any tips?

CatPee

Hey do you guys have any tips on how not to get back stabbed during PVP? Every time I get in a duel I get hit in the back some how, even though it appears my character is too far to even get hit at all
Its annoying and I always lose matches like that. At first I thought it was lag but it constantly happens. Any tips?

Unfortunately, it IS lag, and it's even worse when you're playing with a JP player if you're on PS3. The only thing you can do is anticipate for it.

-You'll have to adapt the mindset that they're actually a couple steps closer to you than what's on your screen.
-Don't try to roll if they appear to be right next to you and about to backstab, but take a swing with your weapon towards them instead.
-Equip a piece of the Armor of Thorns and roll towards them if they try to backstab you.

Unfortunately, it IS lag, and it's even worse when you're playing with a JP player if you're on PS3. The only thing you can do is anticipate for it.

-You'll have to adapt the mindset that they're actually a couple steps closer to you than what's on your screen.
-Don't try to roll if they appear to be right next to you and about to backstab, but take a swing with your weapon towards them instead.
-Equip a piece of the Armor of Thorns and roll towards them if they try to backstab you.

I wish they had servers like in Demons Souls :(
Will the armor of thorns prevent back stabs or does it just cause damage? I've never used it before
One tactic I use that I hate doing is using the wrath of gods miracle to get them to back off. I would prefer a fair duel with no cheap back stabs but most people online don't give a damn.

CatPee

I wish they had servers like in Demons Souls :(
Will the armor of thorns prevent back stabs or does it just cause damage? I've never used it before
One tactic I use that I hate doing is using the wrath of gods miracle to get them to back off. I would prefer a fair duel with no cheap back stabs but most people online don't give a damn.

Dark Souls has a strange mechanic where if you hit the other player with something right before or as they're about to backstab you, they'll do no damage and not go through with the stab animation. Your character will get knocked down with the animation though.
It's perfectly fine for you to do so. They're already being cheapasses by fishing for stabs anyway.

Dark Souls has a strange mechanic where if you hit the other player with something right before or as they're about to backstab you, they'll do no damage and not go through with the stab animation. Your character will get knocked down with the animation though.
It's perfectly fine for you to do so. They're already being cheapasses by fishing for stabs anyway.

Yeah that happens a lot. Eventually though one of the back stabs gets through though and there goes my health :(
Hopefully they fix that in the PC version when I double dip

Mike M

Nick N
I was farming Darkwraiths for chunks (You always have that hope that the little flame will actually be a slab, but if never is...) utilizing my new found power of backstabbing to get one hit kills, and I ran into some weirdness where I would try and get in position and hit RB, but there would be a looooooong delay between input and a regular attack finally coming out, and in the meantime I couldn't move and was a sitting duck.

WTF was that about? It was like the game de used to keep me in one spot for the duration of a backstab that never happened...

Booshka

Don't strafe in the same direction, cut in back and forth, you can manipulate the lock-on and strafe to backstab players, so it's best not to strafe in one direction. Unfortunately good backstab fishing players will probably get you, especially if it is laggy, which it usually is. Best to just keep moving and keep it unpredictable. Watch out for Poise backstabs too, this is where players just have a ton of poise to tank a hit then go for your back. Look at your opponents armor, if it is heavy, hit then immediately roll and don't try to combo too often, unless you have a strong weapon that can stagger high poise.

Don't strafe in the same direction, cut in back and forth, you can manipulate the lock-on and strafe to backstab players, so it's best not to strafe in one direction. Unfortunately good backstab fishing players will probably get you, especially if it is laggy, which it usually is. Best to just keep moving and keep it unpredictable. Watch out for Poise backstabs too, this is where players just have a ton of poise to tank a hit then go for your back. Look at your opponents armor, if it is heavy, hit then immediately roll and don't try to combo too often, unless you have a strong weapon that can stagger high poise.
I've been using velkas rapier +5 and I've had trouble with those poise back stabbing dudes. It's especially annoying when I invade against 2 people and bow, signifying a duel. At first they honor it and duel 1 on 1 but when I start getting the upper hand I get back stabbed by the other phantom. It's so discouraging and rage inducing :lol

Booshka

I've been using velkas rapier +5 and I've had trouble with those poise back stabbing dudes. It's especially annoying when I invade against 2 people and bow, signifying a duel. At first they honor it and duel 1 on 1 but when I start getting the upper hand I get back stabbed by the other phantom. It's so discouraging and rage inducing :lol

Or if you are fighting the phantom and he gets close to death, the host starts chugging, I've seen it all.

Soulhouf

I finally managed to get some dragon summing PvP in the Painted World.
To my big surprise I didn't run into assholes who use cheap techniques.

maomaoIYP

This seems like a fun build, but I can't imagine this working out in the areas that I tend to PVP in (mostly burg, + painted world). Maybe in the forest or dark londo where you can more easily make some space. But going pure caster in PVP just seems like suicide to me :p

I play mostly in the forest and anor londo. But you're right, this doesn't work well in burg and painted world, I use melee builds for those. I made the caster builds specifically to take on 2v1 and 3v1 camping douchemuffins, there's quite a few times when the host approaches, and I time a cast so that I can lock on the instant he comes into range and take him out with a single crystal soul spear. I also like to roll around, wait for them to get disoriented with all the frantic swinging with their buddies, and pierce right through them with a csp, killing the host. It's also useful to instakill the dude who tries to cast twop.

Speaking of twop, I beat both all three dudes last night who tried, the first cast it in backstabbing range. I counter casted twop on the second, and parried his attack with a sliver of health left for the riposte. The last was a 2v1, the host's phantom casted, and when he saw me counter casting he ran right off. I got a free backstab on the host, then wog-ed both of them to death. Feels good man.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Farmed some chunks from darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins and was able to get my lightning spear +5, and the trophy.

After dying about 6 times prior, i went and did 4 Kings again and destroyed their ass easily this time. Damn i love this game!!!

Thinking now of tackling Dukes Archives...good idea or no? I havent been there yet, or Valley of the Drakes plus other places, but those are the two most accessible right now.

Mike M

Nick N
Farmed some chunks from darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins and was able to get my lightning spear +5, and the trophy.

After dying about 6 times prior, i went and did 4 Kings again and destroyed their ass easily this time. Damn i love this game!!!

Thinking now of tackling Dukes Archives...good idea or no? I havent been there yet, or Valley of the Drakes plus other places, but those are the two most accessible right now.

Valley of the Drakes isn't really much of an area, more of a glorified shortcut linking Blighttown, Darkroot Basin, and upper and lower New Londo Ruins.

Duke's Archives is full of mostly familiar enemies, but they all hit much harder now. Awesome, unique area. Recommend you have the Cursebite ring...

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I just had what I think is the single strangest co-op experience I've ever had in Dark Souls. I got summoned at the interior bonfire of Anor Londo. I was the first phantom summoned and the host was looking for another one. After two failed summons the host just stops moving for a couple of minutes. After shrugging and looking skyward a few times I decide to kill some time by taking the silver knights to school and discover that the host has yet to do anything in the level. That's no biggie, so I just set to work clearing out the silver knights on the first couple of floors. Around the time I finish off the last one up pops a message that a dark spirit has invaded. I book it back to the bonfire room to discover the host standing in the exact same position he was in when I left five minutes ago and showing absolutely no intention to start moving again.

At this point I decide that I might as well make the most of things and try to have some fun with the situation. So I close the door to the room and go looking for the invader. Upon reaching the second floor landing where the two mimics are I spy with my little eye something glowing red and wearing Havel's gloves and leggings and a Pinwheel mask while doing cartwheels. That's an invader all right.

He goes for a backstab while locked on, I go for a backstab while not locked on, and so the invader becomes an ex-invader. I go back and check on the host. He hasn't moved.

So I start depopulating Anor Londo. All the silver knights and all the giants die to my phantom. I leave behind the unique enemies for the host to kill personally, but everything that respawns goes. After finishing off the two tabard-wearing giants in the main hall I start heading outside to deal with the gargoyles. As I reach the blacksmith I get a notification that a dark spirit has invaded.

It's the same guy as before.

We meet on the balcony above the main door to the cathedral, overlooking the main hall. Showing the sort of admirable adaptability I have come to expect from invaders he goes for a backstab while locked on. I go for a backstab while not locked on. That's an invader all right.

With the interloper dead for the second time I head back to check on the host. He hasn't moved. I smash all the furniture in the room to express my frustration, then shrug and look skyward at him a few times. He doesn't move. I decide to finish off the gargoyles then black crystal out, and if an invader shows up after I'm gone then, well, they can have him.

As I near the main hall I get a notification that a phantom is being summoned. I rush back to the bonfire. The host is moving. The no longer absent host, the new phantom, and I run through the level in short order, killing the unique enemies as we go. A mimic drops a Symbol of Avarice. The host puts it on. When we reach the main hall a notification pops up that a spirit of vengeance has invaded. The host makes a beeline for the blacksmith.

With an invader in the game.

While losing HP every second from the Symbol of Avarice.

He starts shopping. Slowly.

The other phantom and I amuse ourselves emoting at one another. The host finally finishes his shopping and immediately starts charging up the stairs. The other phantom and I follow, lagging behind a bit. When we reach the top we find the host facing off with the invader on the same balcony where I dispatched my old Darkwraith friend. The host has his shield up and is circling. The invader is spamming parries at thin air. Suddenly and inexplicably emboldened, the host charges his chain-parrying foe head-on and, in an unforeseeable turn of events, is riposted and instantly killed. The invader makes a come at me bro emote even though the bro has, in fact, already come at him. That's an invader all right.

Goodbye, host. Had I bothered to look at your PSN name I swear that I would remember you for the rest of my days.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier when I was in a few strange PVP matches. It was the host and his phantom and from the looks of it they were just farming fights because I invaded them 4-5 times. The strange thing that happened was when they would gang up on me and kill me.
They would taunt and somehow a mimic item box would appear on their heads? It would eat away at their health. Anybody know what that is about?

Booshka

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier when I was in a few strange PVP matches. It was the host and his phantom and from the looks of it they were just farming fights because I invaded them 4-5 times. The strange thing that happened was when they would gang up on me and kill me.
They would taunt and somehow a mimic item box would appear on their heads? It would eat away at their health. Anybody know what that is about?

This is what most people do, farm invaders, the mimic chest boosts the amount of souls you get. So, if you put it on, along with the ring right after a kill, you get 40% more souls.

Solaire and Siegmeyer both
died
within minutes of each other. I'm pissed because I saw Siegmeyer looking over the pit and remembered that I had to do something special to avoid this outcome, so I homeward boned myself out of there. Once I returned Solaire attacked me. :(

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
He goes for a backstab while locked on...
... Showing the sort of admirable adaptability I have come to expect from invaders he goes for a backstab while locked on.

The invader makes a come at me bro emote even though the bro has, in fact, already come at him.
These bits gave me a chuckle :) You're a pretty good writer!

Nice story. I wonder if the host even noticed you took the trouble to clear out the entire level for him. From the sound of it, he didn't even notice he had phantoms with him!
This is what most people do, farm invaders, the mimic chest boosts the amount of souls you get. So, if you put it on, along with the ring right after a kill, you get 40% more souls.
Wow! I thought the Symbol of Avarice only ate health. On a couple of occasions I've seen an invader equip/unequip after they killed me, and I thought it was just the new fashionable troll face xD

I did not even know of such a thing lol I just looked it up right now and how to get it
I could have swore it was glitch haha

Fuck the Demon Firesage.

Demon Firesage
(and Stray Demon)
are easy as all get out. Charge at him and roll forward without locking on when he does the two handed attack, then stay behind him and hit him until he does the butt slam or the fire AoE (which is visible by his animation, he sticks the staff into the ground). When he does either one of those, move away and run back behind him when he's done, keep attacking, repeat until dead. Don't lock on to him in this fight, it gets you killed a lot easier.

Max

I am not Max
I beat the Firesage as well as Stray demon's earlier. I found that actually blocked the magic blasts they do was more effective than trying to roll away which resulted in taking twice the damage.

Straight heavy zweihander'd them to death from behind

Soulhouf

There is a pretty annoying bug going around Siegmeyer's quest in Lost Izalith (that place is definitely fucked up).
It actually happened to me twice as well as to a friend of mine.

After you get rid of all the chaos eater things except one that you leave with a little bit of health you go and speak to Siegmeyer. He jumps and start attacking the monster but his health doesn't go down.
The first time Siegmeyer was eaten by the monster (I didn't realize that he was invincible at that point) so after I helped him (only me could damage the monster)
he committed suicide because his health was too low.
The second time, as soon as I noticed the monster didn't die, I helped Siegmeyer and his life was full, so theoretically the quest was successful until then but it wasn't the case.
He didn't show up in Ash Lake.

I don't know if this bug is widely known so I wanted to share it.

There is a pretty annoying bug going around Siegmeyer's quest in Lost Izalith (that place is definitely fucked up).
It actually happened to me twice as well as to a friend of mine.

After you get rid of all the chaos eater things except one that you leave with a little bit of health you go and speak to Siegmeyer. He jumps and start attacking the monster but his health doesn't go down.
The first time Siegmeyer was eaten by the monster (I didn't realize that he was invincible at that point) so after I helped him (only me could damage the monster)
he committed suicide because his health was too low.
The second time, as soon as I noticed the monster didn't die, I helped Siegmeyer and his life was full, so theoretically the quest was successful until then but it wasn't the case.
He didn't show up in Ash Lake.

I don't know if this bug is widely known so I wanted to share it.

for me it was the case that
he still had about 90% of his health from memory, if not full, and when i got to ash lake he was dead
. so yeah i dunno. I've only seen it all the way through once, usually forget something/lose him somewhere.

Dyno

I made much progress this Easter weekend. The game is falling into place nicely.

Anor Londo is a great place overall. Beautiful levels, lots of loot and ability to improve. Plus there is that amazing treasure chest at the end (hurr de durr durr!)

Catacombs was more unsettling than hard. Tomb of Giants is bad place. I was glad to be out of there. Nito wasn't a big problem.

Demon Ruins gave me a bit of a problem with those ceiling worms but the bosses went down easy. I'm in Lost Izalith right now. I feel the game is drawing to a close.

For high strength weapons I'm looking at Demon Great Axe or Dragon Great Axe. What are people's favourites in that range? Mostly I use a Black Knights Sword +5 and it seems hard to beat. Soon I'll be able to use Havel's Shield but it looks like the defensive power doesn't go up, only the attack power. Is that the only benefit to upgrading that sheild?

Mike M

Nick N
Soon I'll be able to use Havel's Shield but it looks like the defensive power doesn't go up, only the attack power. Is that the only benefit to upgrading that sheild?

Upgrading shields improves stability and any resistance stats it may confer.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Not for Havel's. Havel's Shield starts with 84 Stability and never increases. The only thing you get for upgrading it is a stronger shield bash. The same is true of the Greatshield of Artorias and Stone Greatshield.

Sullichin

upgrading havel's does not increase its stability. It's not worth upgrading. The L2 provides a defensive buff, not sure if that gets increased when you upgrade, i've never used it.

EDIT: Well I was late posting that. I guess I'll reply to something else. My favorite STR weapons are black knight greataxe (can't enchant), and demon's great machete / large club / great club (can enchant). Pick whatever has the moveset you like most and upgrade that, they are all viable.

On another note, finally got my balder side sword. Took an hour over two days, possibly longer than farming for channeler's trident. Had enough souls just from killing parish balders to absolve my sins and level up like 6 times. This should have been part of the rare weapons trophy for sure.

Started a new character last Friday. I've been rolling with a Zweihander +10 for a while now (I'm at Dukes Archieves right now). Absolutely addicted again.

Are there any better greatswords in this game? My first time playing a slow, heavy type of character.

Frank

I've been rolling with a Zweihander +10 for a while now. Are there any better greatswords in this game? My first time playing a slow, heavy type of character.

I've been through the game quite a few times, and the Zwei remains without a doubt my favourite weapon when it comes to PvE. I never manage to do well in PvP with it, though -- but, thinking about it now, my failure might come from my over-reliance on the Zwei's R2-attack & StepBack+R1-attack. Which I love. Feels awesome to bait and evade until there's a window to just flatten the enemy, 1 shotting it into the ground.

Got 5 different Zweis, upgraded along different paths, between my main 2 characters... :)

So, I guess I'm one of its fans.

MechaX

That was a pretty entertaining PvP story, ixix.

I usually don't try to go for PvP that much anymore, especially after I made the mistake of entering the forest covenant area in human form. Pretty much back-to-back waves of 2v1 Invader matches.

Although, when I was helping my friend recently, he did get invaded. We were in the depths at the time and I noticed that a certain door was open that wasn't supposed to be. I went down the steps to see if he was hiding around the corner somewhere. I was on the phone with my friend at the time and I told him to watch the rear. Out of nowhere, the invader just sprints after us. My friend just says "hey, watch out!" and the invader owns us both.

With a lightning claymore.

At level 25.

Got 5 different Zweis, upgraded along different paths, between my main 2 characters... :)

So, I guess I'm one of its fans.

Yeah I totally destroyed my first invader with it and was really surprised by it. After that I couldn't let go.

Any upgrade path recommendations? I'm just too lazy right now to start digging into wikis.

Sullichin

Yeah I totally destroyed my first invader with it and was really surprised by it. After that I couldn't let go.

Any upgrade path recommendations? I'm just too lazy right now to start digging into wikis.

You're at +10, at Dukes, easiest is to go back to Anor Londo and make it a lightning Zwei.

Hey isn't that shitty facebook wall supposed to fall today? So Namco can tell us what we learned from german magazine scans. Moranz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom