• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Ok so it is kind of gambling when carrying it around? It makes you stronger and gives better drop rates, but if you do you lose it all unless you can recover it? Thanks again.

Yep, that's exactly it.

Also, you gain active humanity from killing enemies in an area where the boss has not yet been defeated.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Pretty sure that in 1.05 she will stick around until you buy all the pyromancies from her too.

That's entirely possible. I don't think I've ever gotten that far into the game without buying out her entire inventory beforehand, so I've never really had the opportunity to check. Good to know, though.

ixix

Joke post, or is there another Dark Souls patch coming?

1.05 is the current version of the game. The 1.05 patch is the one that came out a few months ago that improved the online connectivity, fixed a bunch of glitches, and made some balance changes.

In writing this post I just realized how long ago 1.05 came out. It's kind of shocking to me to think that there are large numbers of people who have played through Dark Souls never seeing the dancing phantoms of people performing the dragon head glitch.

dosh

It's kind of shocking to me to think that there are large numbers of people who have played through Dark Souls never seeing the dancing phantoms of people performing the dragon head glitch.

Or not thinking "That's it, I'm never beating Four Kings ever again" after hearing about Iron Flesh getting emasculatd.

By the way Ixix, you must be thrilled: new armors and weapons in the pc version mean new items descriptions!

ixix

Or not thinking "That's it, I'm never beating Four Kings ever again" after hearing about Iron Flesh getting emasculatd.

By the way Ixix, you must be thrilled: new armors and weapons in the pc version mean new items descriptions!

I'm pretty much planning on making a character for the express purpose of rushing through the game to the new content as quickly as possible as soon as the PC version comes out just to get my hands on those delicious new item descriptions. I'll be sure to set aside some time to make a version 5 of my list when I do.

Considering who's confirmed to be in it already I am expecting some juicy revelations.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can someone give me a hint where the "Painted World"is? Thanks.
Not far after you've engaged the two most annoying archers in the game in Anor Londo...

Not far after you've engaged the two most annoying archers in the game in Anor Londo...
It's before them technically?

and
It's in Anor Londo, but not by normal means. If you have met the white robed guardians, you are very close.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Yoshichan

:( What did Yoshi do now?!

I'm sorry :_:

Yoshichan

Yoshichan

Thanks! Guess I can go search Anor Londo a bit more to find it. Looking forward to somewhere pretty lol.
Look forward to somewhere grey :3

dosh

I'm pretty much planning on making a character for the express purpose of rushing through the game to the new content as quickly as possible as soon as the PC version comes out just to get my hands on those delicious new item descriptions. I'll be sure to set aside some time to make a version 5 of my list when I do.

Ho please do, I think everyone loved that list :D

Considering who's confirmed to be in it already I am expecting some juicy revelations.

Very much so. And since at least a portion of the new content is probably stuff that was cut in the first place (like the Chimera, its design being printed in the CE artbook), I'm really hoping we'll finally get some of the missing links required to fully understand the lore.
Maybe even something related to the pendant, who knows.

Look forward to somewhere grey :3

Grey and AWESOME. I loved this place almost as much as I loved Boletaria.

Yoshichan

Yeah the Painted World was definitely a good part of Dark Souls. Especially after the shit-fest that was Anor Londo :3

M.D

Yeah the Painted World was definitely a good part of Dark Souls. Especially after the shit-fest that was Anor Londo :3

HOW DARE YOU

21JW

Mike M

Nick N
I'm so torn... I love Dark Souls, and would kill for an extended edition. ESPECIALLY if they fixed things like everything wrong with Gravelording and added back in cut content like Oswald's convenent.

But I don't have a gaming PC and I don't think this much content will be DLC : (

ixix

Very much so. And since at least a portion of the new content is probably stuff that was cut in the first place (like the Chimera, its design being printed in the CE artbook), I'm really hoping we'll finally get some of the missing links required to fully understand the lore.
Maybe even something related to the pendant, who knows.

I like the Pendant just the way it is. If they make it do anything it'll lose its most charming feature.

I'm so torn... I love Dark Souls, and would kill for an extended edition. ESPECIALLY if they fixed things like everything wrong with Gravelording and added back in cut content like Oswald's convenent.

But I don't have a gaming PC and I don't think this much content will be DLC : (

I wouldn't give up hope on console versions just yet. What with their mention that it was the petition that convinced them to release a PC version along with how substantial the new content seems to be I'm more inclined to believe that the new stuff was already planned and in the works and it's just being temporarily re-purposed to serve as a selling point for the port. If nothing else making it PC-only would cut vast swathes of the Japanese fanbase out of the loop, and I sincerely doubt From is interested in doing that.

Sullichin

It seems more likely to me that the prepare to die edition will be a re-release retail edition for consoles rather than having the new content patched in via DLC. It makes sense that they're not talking about it now to make the PC version more appetizing.

Not played this since getting made redundant in January, really want to get back into it.

IIRC I was last hunting for slabs with Dark Wraiths and my next move is to head to.... Hmmm the boss who kills you first time. Still on my first play through of the game.

Hope to play again this weekend :)

M.D

Anybody who can help me with the 4kings on ng+? In sl111 please place your sign outside the boss door....

I'm SL136 on PS3.
I can't do it right now, but would love to help tomorrow. What time zone are you in? I live in Israel, so I hope it can work out.

^damn, I just quit, I could have helped you but too tired to play more right now.

I did the rest I was supposed to and some more today, finally got Kirk's equipment too. Now I pretty much own every item in the game except for Cursed Sword Of Astorias I guess. Tomorrow I'll go beat Gwyn, then NG++ Sif, Gargoyles and Quelaag, maybe O&S too and leave the rest open for invading. Maybe I'll start Gravelording even.

Really stoked about the new areas/bosses/things in the PC version, hopefully they come to

MMaRsu

Im in the gmt timezone so its 11pm right now. If i cant kill them tonight i will call upon your help good sirs.

Mxrz

The news threads for the pc version read like something off 4chan, but I'm starting to feel that way about most news threads. Fanboyism vs elitism vs 'I'm just going to post a large image meme.'

Anyway. Hopefully if they're planning on bringing anything over it'll happen sometime before late Summer. Game could use a bit of an injection. I'd rather it be DLC rather than an entire new edition. But Looking at the CE right now, and after the whole last second switcharoo digital download, I'm a little annoyed at the thought of having to buy the game again.

Soulhouf

Seath's still around because he was a friend of Gwyn, to the point where Gwyn gave him part of his Lord Soul. He's best buds with the big man on campus, he's officially a Duke in the city of the gods, and he's grouped in with Gwyn, Nito, and the Witch of Izalith as one of the baddest SOBs in the world. He's a bit of an exception to the rules concerning dragons, and if dragons are generally classified as such due to possessing the scales of immortality it's debatable whether he even really counts as one, technically.

I don't think she's really intended as an analogue to Astraea except possibly superficially; Demon's Souls is unambiguous about Astraea being pretty abhorrent. The descriptions of the spells you make from her soul in Demon's Souls flat-out call her the most impure demon of all. It's nothing like Priscilla's situation, where the game never says anything seriously negative about her other than that the gods feared her and that a cross between a dragon and whatever her other half is is an affront to all life.

And I might as well just say this straight-up: I really don't like that the artbook flat-out says that CD is the brother of the Daughters of Chaos. I like the game's ambiguity and how indefinitely it presents its narrative, and I dislike ancillary materials undermining what I view as one of the great strengths of the game. I much preferred Ceaseless Discharge before From went and stated on the record that he was a big crybaby.

Isn't Prescilla Seath's daughter? If so, that doesn't make much sens to me.
In this particular case I would like to see more hints about this character, because comm'on, Seath is one of the most important characters in the game and a very important figure in King's Field.

Edit
:

Holy shit. I was right about Artorias being in the PC version..

ixix

The Dark Souls PC threads have certainly been rather exuberant, it's true.

On the subject of all the new Dark Souls interest, though, I think we should go back to being a bit more judicious in our use of spoiler tags. We've sort of gotten in the habit of leaving plot discussions unmarked in this thread and with the renewed interest in the game I wouldn't be surprised if there's an influx of new players. I'm going to go back to using them a lot more often, personally.

Isn't Prescilla Seath's daughter? If so, that doesn't make much sens to me.
In this particular case I would like to see more hints about this character, because comm'on, Seath is one of the most important characters in the game and a very important figure in King's Field.

There's not really any evidence for Priscilla being Seath's daughter beyond the fact that they're both white. It's not impossible, but it's far from confirmed.

sixghost

All salient points to be sure, but also, the Ceaseless Discharge looks like this:
[IG]http://i.imgur.com/wuado.jpg[/IMG]

Priscilla looks like this:
[IG]http://i.imgur.com/s2UV4l.jpg[/IMG]

To me the choice is easy.
You're right, it is.

I'll be taking that lifehunt Scythe

Mxrz

I never drew any direction connection between them.

For whatever reason, I had the impression Priscilla went into the painting a long time ago. That she was a mix between some dragon & god long before most of the Gods skipped town.

But apparently I missed out on a lot of stuff. Ceaseless Discharge being brother to the daughters of chaos blew my mind.

I still feel like an ass for having to
kill Priscilla for her tail
. Damn you, trophies. Astraea was a different vibe altogether. There, it felt like my character becoming this badass Demon that needed her soul one way or another. Since it was my last world too, it sort of played into the ending.

ixix

For whatever reason, I had the impression Priscilla went into the painting a long time ago. That she was a mix between some dragon & god long before most of the Gods skipped town.

But apparently I missed out on a lot of stuff. Ceaseless Discharge being brother to the daughters of chaos blew my mind.

. Damn you, trophies. Astraea was a different vibe altogether. There, it felt like my character becoming this badass Demon that needed her soul one way or another. Since it was my last world too, it sort of played into the ending.

It's really hard to get a fix on much chronologically, with how vague the game is about time.
From Frampt we know that about a thousand years have passed since Gwyn linked the flame, we can conclude from the Lord Soul descriptions that at that time New Londo was thriving under the Four Kings and Seath was sane, and from the Black Knight equipment we can conclude that the Witch of Izalith called the demons into the world at around that same time. The merchant in Sen's Fortress is our other main clue, and from him we can deduce that the emergence of the undead began in force about a century before the start of the game, leading to the attempts of Rendal and Tarkus to reach Anor Londo.

So there's about a span of 900 years where we can obviously conclude that things started going to hell in a handbasket in Lordran, but placing anything precisely in that timespan -- including Priscilla -- is next to impossible.

krakov

The utility of the Lost Izalith shortcut is dramatically lessened the the presence of a respawning super Prowling Demon taking up the width of the entire corridor : |

I didn't lose any souls in the process, but this fucker has killed me at my most powerful more times than any other encounter with these chumps. I had dreams of farming him for demon titanite too, but he's a royal pain I. The ass. Maybe I'll just Iron Flesh it out... But then he'd just jump away at some point...

Man, fuck this guy...

That guy is the worst. I'd recommend farming him in NG since it will only get worse from there.

soultron

Banned
Darkroot Garden and Undead Parish spoilers: Beat
Moonlight Butterfly
after adding a longbow into my arsenal -- on my first few deaths (your body/souls gets stuck past the white barrier!) I figured I would need some sort of ranged weapon or I'd never take it down. From that battle, I also learned that I need to get some sort of magic defense and/or resistance.

After that, I returned to the UP and managed to beat the 2
Bell Gargoyles
on my first try! The summoned
sun knight guy
took their aggro and kited them away, which was awesome.

I did some random exploring in Darkroot Basin, cleaned it out, found the awesome Wolf Ring (Mega poise boost, fuck yeah!) and then moved back down to where the Hydra is. Still need to beat it but didn't feel like facing another boss in the same sitting since I already defeated 2 (well, 3) today. Remembered that I now have the Watchtower Key, so I used that while I was near the shore of the lake, and then proceeded to get destroyed by the
knight with the club sword
that hides by the door. I don't do enough damage to him right now (and one of his attacks can OHK me if I have any less than 100% stamina) so I just ran the fuck past him back up to the Undead Burg.

Before that, when I was in Darkroot Garden, I actually managed to explore to the Valley
of the Drakes.
I took down a bunch of the drakes but couldn't open the massive fortress door. I figured with how long it took me to kill one of the drakes, I probably wasn't ready for whatever was past that door anyway. While I was there, there was a
(dead?) dragon
on the side of a cliff. I snuck up, snatched the soul item that was in its hands, and then ran away as quickly as I could because I'm a giant wuss I didn't want to face another boss.

I feel like I had quite the adventure today. Really getting the hang of the game now. It's not terribly difficult. It just requires lots of patience. Thanks to everyone who recommended going for an agile character rather than one with super heavy armour. Being mobile is so much more important, you're right. c:

Mike M

Nick N
You should definitely kill the guy at the bottom of the tower as soon as possible, his drop is pretty amazing.

There are a variety of ways to cheese him to victory at low levels.

soultron

Banned
You should definitely kill the guy at the bottom of the tower as soon as possible, his drop is pretty amazing.

There are a variety of ways to cheese him to victory at low levels.

I had him below half HP the first time I fought him but since I only do 25-35/hit to him, it was really slow going. I just lacked the patience since I had already been playing for about 3 hours in that sitting. I'll go back and get him the next time I play! :p

I've still not consistently mastered the art of backstabs either. Is it LS forward + light attack when not defending with a shield? I've done them before, but usually only on trash mobs that I sneak up on from behind.

Also, IIRC, I'm level ~27-30.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Just started playing this today, a few questions:

01. Is there nothing like the Nexus from Demon's Souls? I'm a few hours in and it is just one slog forward so far. Being able to choose what order you tackled worlds was one of my favorite things about the original.

02. Is there a lot less invading and co-op going on? There is no server to log into like the original, and I'm seeing far fewer blood stains and player ghosts running around.

03. Do they introduce anything like soul form later on? So far you just go back to the bonfire and you retrieve souls but the whole element of running around as a stealthy soul version of yourself is gone.

genjiZERO

I felt nothing wrong with killing any of them. The whole world was corrupt, including all the gods, and I felt as though I was ridding the world of corruption.

01. Is there nothing like the Nexus from Demon's Souls? I'm a few hours in and it is just one slog forward so far. Being able to choose what order you tackled worlds was one of my favorite things about the original.

02. Is there a lot less invading and co-op going on? There is no server to log into like the original, and I'm seeing far fewer blood stains and player ghosts running around.

03. Do they introduce anything like soul form later on? So far you just go back to the bonfire and you retrieve souls but the whole element of running around as a stealthy soul version of yourself is gone.

01. Sorta, but not really... and later in the game. Just play the game in whatever order you want. You beat sections of "levels" slowly in pieces. It should become profoundly less linear very shortly. Also, if you think it's linear.... you probably haven't explored very much....

02. I played my first game entirely offline. In game+ I get invaded regularly. You only get invaded when you are in human form. You have to put down your summon soapstone if you want to be called in for co-op.

03. In this game Human/Hollow is the same as Human/Soul form from Demon's Souls. While I think ghosts are more interesting than zombies, in the end, the mechanic works better in this game. However, you do get equipment later on that lets you play stealthily if you want.

soultron

Banned

It's open world-y now. Like Metroid or Castlevania. You'll open up shortcuts that reduce backtracking.

Start in the Undead Burg and it's pretty easy to progress, IMO.

Being in Human form means a higher drop rate. Might be better drops... not sure.

You can also sacrifice your humanity at bonfires to gain additional Estus flasks.

Mike M

Nick N
I had him below half HP the first time I fought him but since I only do 25-35/hit to him, it was really slow going. I just lacked the patience since I had already been playing for about 3 hours in that sitting. I'll go back and get him the next time I play! :p

I've still not consistently mastered the art of backstabs either. Is it LS forward + light attack when not defending with a shield? I've done them before, but usually only on trash mobs that I sneak up on from behind.

Also, IIRC, I'm level ~27-30.

Backstabbing is accomplished by keeping LS *neutral* actually. Took me forever to find that out.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
01. Sorta, but not really... and later in the game. Just play the game in whatever order you want. You beat sections of "levels" slowly in pieces. It should become profoundly less linear very shortly. Also, if you think it's linear.... you probably haven't explored very much....

02. I played my first game entirely offline. In game+ I get invaded regularly. You only get invaded when you are in human form. You have to put down your summon soapstone if you want to be called in for co-op.

03. In this game Human/Hollow is the same as Human/Soul form from Demon's Souls. While I think ghosts are more interesting than zombies, in the end, the mechanic works better in this game. However, you do get equipment later on that lets you play stealthily if you want.

OK thanks for the response (thanks Soultron as well). I guess I was expecting something a lot more like Demons' Souls structurally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom