• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Started a new character last Friday. I've been rolling with a Zweihander +10 for a while now (I'm at Dukes Archieves right now). Absolutely addicted again.

Are there any better greatswords in this game? My first time playing a slow, heavy type of character.

Man-serpent greatsword and Demon Great Machete both have better stat scaling, so are probably better in the long run than a Zweihander, claymore, or greatsword. MSGS is weaker, but faster.

Frank

You're at +10, at Dukes, easiest is to go back to Anor Londo and make it a lightning Zwei.

+1.

And later on, you can think again about what to do with it.

Either keep it on the Lightning path, or downgrade to +10 and then go Normal path up to +15 (which actually I don't recommend much -- the scaling on the Zwei is not that great), or once you're done with Demon's Ruins (Large Flame Ember & Chaos Ember are there) you can take the Zwei to Vamos in the Catacombs, downgrade it to +5 and then upgrade it along Fire (my current favourite for the Zwei) or Chaos paths.

Man-serpent greatsword and Demon Great Machete both have better stat scaling, so are probably better in the long run than a Zweihander, claymore, or greatsword. MSGS is weaker, but faster.

A good point, these are also worth checking out. However, I still believe the moveset (especially the R2) on the Zwei is quite an impeccable fit for PvE, and the difference of damage due to the better scaling is really not that much of a difference, especially when it comes to late-game content, or when doing high level PvP.

I might be biased, though :)

Dyno

I've put into a variety of weapons to see what I like the best and how they develop.

Black Knight Sword +5 - go to weapon. It's never let me down.
Quellag Furysword +5 - decent weapon against fire weak foes and fast.
Lightning Spear +5 - good enough for the first playthrough. Economical.
Manserpent Greatsword +10 - pet project. Decent. May turn it into something else.
Fire Greataxe +6 - work in progress. Over 600 damage as is.
Chaos Greatsword +1 - work in progress. Surprisingly meaty damage.
Demon Greataxe +5 - surprised that normal titanite is good enough. Will see how it goes.

I have lots of dragon scales but haven't committed them to a weapon because it is very expensive to upgrade. What's your favourite dragon weapon? The Dragon Tooth is the only one I've found with stat scaling (D Str.)

Sullichin

I've put into a variety of weapons to see what I like the best and how they develop.

Manserpent Greatsword +10 - pet project. Decent. May turn it into something else.
Demon Greataxe +5 - surprised that normal titanite is good enough. Will see how it goes.

I have lots of dragon scales but haven't committed them to a weapon because it is very expensive to upgrade. What's your favourite dragon weapon? The Dragon Tooth is the only one I've found with stat scaling (D Str.)

Moonlight Greatsword. S scaling with INT when upgraded.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Drake Sword. I currently have it at +4 and its a great "go to" weapon when i run into a situation that my other stuff cant handle.

Soulhouf

Chaos Zweihander +5 is the absolute strongest weapon for low level PvP.
I did handreds of PvP but since I switched to that weapon, I didn't loose a single 1vs1 PvP.

+Very good moveset
+Decent output damage (738)
+The stunlock is incredible. There are only a couple of armors that can not be stunlocked with one hit.

You have to 2 hand it though.
That + power within and you'll 1-2 shot most of your opponents.
I can't believe I discovered that only now.

MMaRsu

I'm just mostly using my lightning iato+5 for pvp.. lol

Combine that with some chaos fireballs and in enclosed spaces, dudes cant keep up with me. Sure sometimes I lose but mostly I win and I love it. I really want to beat the
4kings
and get to
Kaathe
this time ( ng+ ) to get the red invasion orb. I mean damn I've been wanting that the entire last playthrough and I found out at the end I fucked myself over for talking to the wrong primordial serpent. That sucked..

But now that I'm in the lvl 105 range I can invade so many people with the blue stone, and I get invaded more as well. I really want to build out my pvp dude, or maybe start a new build from scratch? I've already put 120 hrs in this build though, and I love it. I got a bunch of swords like the moonlight greatsword or whatever but dont have the stats for it.

I already have 40VIT and 38 end, what lvl should I be to beat the 4 kings?

Just did Painted World - surprisingly fun and quite short area. The boss at the end was probably the easiest I've faced yet, although maybe I'm a little over-leveled (lvl 88).

And, I only just realised you can still use the white stone even if you're hollow, doh! This changes everything, means I can do co-op stuff without the risk of getting invaded in my own world.

I haven't invaded anyone yet as a BP, I know there are 1-use items to do that, but when/where do I get the item that has unlimited uses?

Sullichin

I'm just mostly using my lightning iato+5 for pvp.. lol

Combine that with some chaos fireballs and in enclosed spaces, dudes cant keep up with me. Sure sometimes I lose but mostly I win and I love it. I really want to beat the
4kings
and get to
Kaathe
this time ( ng+ ) to get the red invasion orb. I mean damn I've been wanting that the entire last playthrough and I found out at the end I fucked myself over for talking to the wrong primordial serpent. That sucked..

But now that I'm in the lvl 105 range I can invade so many people with the blue stone, and I get invaded more as well. I really want to build out my pvp dude, or maybe start a new build from scratch? I've already put 120 hrs in this build though, and I love it. I got a bunch of swords like the moonlight greatsword or whatever but dont have the stats for it.

I already have 40VIT and 38 end, what lvl should I be to beat the 4 kings?
Go kill 'em now! it's more about your equipment than anything.

Just did Painted World - surprisingly fun and quite short area. The boss at the end was probably the easiest I've faced yet, although maybe I'm a little over-leveled (lvl 88).

And, I only just realised you can still use the white stone even if you're hollow, doh! This changes everything, means I can do co-op stuff without the risk of getting invaded in my own world.

I haven't invaded anyone yet as a BP, I know there are 1-use items to do that, but when/where do I get the item that has unlimited uses?
You have to speak to Kaathe in the abyss (after beating the four kings) before placing the lordvessel.

lol, was I not supposed to?! It's not like there's anything telling you not to!

If you don't kill her, you can keep painted world open for invasions. Fun PVP area. As for nothing telling you not to, she gives you a free pass to leave if you just left her alone ;)

Dyno

Chaos Zweihander +5 is the absolute strongest weapon for low level PvP.
I did handreds of PvP but since I switched to that weapon, I didn't loose a single 1vs1 PvP.

+Very good moveset
+Decent output damage (738)
+The stunlock is incredible. There are only a couple of armors that can not be stunlocked with one hit.

You have to 2 hand it though.
That + power within and you'll 1-2 shot most of your opponents.
I can't believe I discovered that only now.

I like my shield too much to two-hand weapons. For PVP I was thinking of going full-on dick mode. I built the Lifehunter Scythe (500 bleed) and found the Gravelord Sword (300 poison.) I haven't upgraded them but that wouldn't be a huge problem. I was thinking that when I get the invasion notice I would quickly slot in those two weapons and try to bleed/poison invaders. See how they deal with that.

I made much progress this Easter weekend. The game is falling into place nicely.

Anor Londo is a great place overall. Beautiful levels, lots of loot and ability to improve. Plus there is that amazing treasure chest at the end (hurr de durr durr!)

Catacombs was more unsettling than hard. Tomb of Giants is bad place. I was glad to be out of there. Nito wasn't a big problem.

Demon Ruins gave me a bit of a problem with those ceiling worms but the bosses went down easy. I'm in Lost Izalith right now. I feel the game is drawing to a close.

For high strength weapons I'm looking at Demon Great Axe or Dragon Great Axe. What are people's favourites in that range? Mostly I use a Black Knights Sword +5 and it seems hard to beat. Soon I'll be able to use Havel's Shield but it looks like the defensive power doesn't go up, only the attack power. Is that the only benefit to upgrading that sheild?

Black Knight Greataxe+5 will own everything in PvE.

Today I beat Nito and Four Kings and thought I was free to go beat Gwyn to get my last trophy...

and now I read this topic and remembered Bed Of Chaos. Goddammit. I hate Lost Izalith.

Soulhouf

Well I've seen worse abominations in fairness.

Ceaseless Discharge, Gaping Dragon etc.

Actually I feel bad every time I kill Ceasless since I learned who he was and what was he doing there.
But Priscillia, no. All the item descriptions tell awful things about her.

Any tips on the Wolf? His 360 attacks keep killing me even though I block :c

Eagle Shield is a good choice, but I always do it like it that I avoid all the attacks until he does the 360 spin, then run under him and two hand attack until he jumps away and repeat. Takes some time but usually I can do it with near zero damage.

M.D

For your Dex/Int build I just messed around with a character builder and came up with this one.

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=244612124

It's pretty solid, you can adjust the stats to your liking, but I would keep Dex at 40 and Int at 44, then mess with the other ones. The armor is whatever, but it will get you 56 poise and decent resistance with the sorcery boost of the Dusk Crown.

I like this build :p

I wonder should I keep the ROFAP for the stats boost, or put on something else, but that would also make me take off Havel's armor pieces. Don't they cause stamina regen slowdown?
I don't think there are any must-have rings in the game except for certain situations that you need a stats boost?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Actually I feel bad every time I kill Ceasless since I learned who he was and what was he doing there.
But Priscillia, no. All the item descriptions tell awful things about her.

The item descriptions basically just call her names, though. None of them relate anything about her doing something bad, it's all just bitching about how she's got a lizard for a parent. It's not like she even looks like a dragon or nothing, all the prejudice against her is just some bullshit Lordran "one drop" rule. If anything, the Lifehunt Scythe description implies that her real problem is that the gods thought she was just too awesome.

Then you've got Ceaseless Discharge, a whiny oaf who spends all day blubbering about how he lost his ring and one of his sisters died before she could turn into a bug. He just sits around blubbering and throws a tantrum when you steal his sister's clothes.

Notice that Quelana, still un-insectified and in full possession of her mental faculties, seemingly wants nothing to do with him. Ceaseless Discharge is a clumsy incompetent prone to bouts of hysteria disowned by his family for being so gormless and repugnant.

It ain't even a competition. Priscilla is the innocent victim of shamefully outmoded mores concerning miscegenation and a reprehensible anti-dragon propaganda campaign. By comparison Ceaseless Discharge is a boorish lackwit who lost the most valuable gift his sisters gave him and now spends all day wondering why they don't return his calls while staring at the corpse of one of them and breathing heavily.

Keikoku

Banned
Fucking Stray Demon is a pain the ass, most annoying boss in the game. The Crest Shield doesn't even seem to reduce his magic damages, it's no different than my Greatshield of Artorias actually.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The item descriptions basically just call her names, though. None of them relate anything about her doing something bad, it's all just bitching about how she's got a lizard for a parent. It's not like she even looks like a dragon or nothing, all the prejudice against her is just some bullshit Lordran "one drop" rule. If anything, the Lifehunt Scythe description implies that her real problem is that the gods thought she was just too awesome.

Then you've got Ceaseless Discharge, a whiny oaf who spends all day blubbering about how he lost his ring and one of his sisters died before she could turn into a bug. He just sits around blubbering and throws a tantrum when you steal his sister's clothes.

Notice that Quelana, still un-insectified and in full possession of her mental faculties, seemingly wants nothing to do with him. Ceaseless Discharge is a clumsy incompetent prone to bouts of hysteria disowned by his family for being so gormless and repugnant.

It ain't even a competition. Priscilla is the innocent victim of shamefully outmoded mores concerning miscegenation and a reprehensible anti-dragon propaganda campaign. By comparison Ceaseless Discharge is a boorish lackwit who lost the most valuable gift his sisters gave him and now spends all day wondering why they don't return his calls while staring at the corpse of one of them and breathing heavily.
All salient points to be sure, but also, the Ceaseless Discharge looks like this:
wuado.jpg

Priscilla looks like this:
s2UV4l.jpg

To me the choice is easy.

M.D

Fucking Stray Demon is a pain the ass, most annoying boss in the game. The Crest Shield doesn't even seem to reduce his magic damages, it's no different than my Greatshield of Artorias actually.

Don't lock on, and try to stay behind him.
He's attacks are very predictable, so when he starts his magic attacks, which is really the only attack that hits you hard, but is also very visible, be sure not to be locked on him and run behind him.

It's also helps that the bonfire is probably the closest in the game to any boss :)

Question about Quelaag and her family - When her mother did what she did, and they all turned into some sort of demons (except for Quelaana), did they all keep their sanity? When you fight her, is she sane? Becuase one of EpicNameBro videos suggests that she is, and she's trying to get Humanity for The Fair Lady, which looks sick (And there's a reason for that as well).

It's interesting to know if she's actually "evil" or if she's even sane when you fight her.
I mean, even Ceaseless doesn't attack you until you take his sister's cloths or attack him.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Queelag attacks you pretty unprovoked... and I guess I don't know what being a "Chaos Queen" entails but sanity is probably not a prereq.

ixix

Don't lock on, and try to stay behind him.
He's attacks are very predictable, so when he starts his magic attacks, which is really the only attack that hits you hard, but is also very visible, be sure not to be locked on him and run behind him.

It's also helps that the bonfire is probably the closest in the game to any boss :)

Question about Quelaag and her family - When her mother did what she did, and they all turned into some sort of demons (except for Quelaana), did they all keep their sanity? When you fight her, is she sane? Becuase one of EpicNameBro videos suggests that she is, and she's trying to get Humanity for The Fair Lady, which looks sick (And there's a reason for that as well).

It's interesting to know if she's actually "evil" or if she's even sane when you fight her.
I mean, even Ceaseless doesn't attack you until you take his sister's cloths or attack him.

Quelaag's probably not crazy. There are unused subtitles in the game for dialogue she was going to have where she calls you a "sacrifice" and a "bringer of meat." It's pretty stilted and awkward which is probably why it was cut, but it shows that she was intended at some point to be lucid and sane, or at least as sane as anybody in Dark Souls. The general sentiment seems to be that Quelaag is killing people to feed their Humanity to her sister, but her cut dialogue sounds pretty gleeful so maybe she's just a territorial jerk.

The Witch of Izalith and the Daughters of Chaos in general are one of the most ambiguous parts of the game on the whole. I think it's kind of noteworthy, though, that there's a recurring insect motif in their designs. Quelaag and the Fair Lady both have spiders where their legs and lady parts ought to be, Ceaseless Discharge's ring became a malevolent bundle of centipedes and his own right arm is replaced by what looks a bit like spider legs, and the Bed of Chaos, at its heart, is a scrawny little beetle thing.

I don't know what sort of implications are intended by that particular visual theme, but it's consistently employed.

All salient points to be sure, but also, the Ceaseless Discharge looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/wuado.jpg

Priscilla looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/s2UV4l.jpg

To me the choice is easy.

Such shallow reasoning!

That artwork also further reinforces my already strongly-held sentiment that Ceaseless Discharge's imposing design is wasted on such an easy boss.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Take a strong weapon, equip with two hands, and get behind him and stay there as much as possible. He only really has one attack you have to watch for, that magic blast thingie and he gives you a few seconds warning time with his animation before he does it. Just back away when he does, and then run right back behind him again and attack.

Keikoku

Banned
Yeah I was locking him, much easier without locking indeed. Still a shitty, annoying boss.

On an other matter : will Quelana disappear after I buy all her pyromancies/upgrade my pyro flame to the maximum level ?

ixix

Yeah I was locking him, much easier without locking indeed. Still a shitty, annoying boss.

On an other matter : will Quelana disappear after I buy all her pyromancies/upgrade my pyro flame to the maximum level ?

Nope. She sticks around until you
kill the Bed of Chaos. When you talk to her after that she'll give you the Fire Tempest Pyromancy then leave.

Mike M

Nick N
The utility of the Lost Izalith shortcut is dramatically lessened the the presence of a respawning super Prowling Demon taking up the width of the entire corridor : |

I didn't lose any souls in the process, but this fucker has killed me at my most powerful more times than any other encounter with these chumps. I had dreams of farming him for demon titanite too, but he's a royal pain I. The ass. Maybe I'll just Iron Flesh it out... But then he'd just jump away at some point...

Man, fuck this guy...

Soulhouf

Your argument is solid about Priscilla but you forget something: if she was banished simply because she is half a dragon, why Seath is still there? To me she clearly did something. With that said, Dark Souls world is really weird and sometimes, it doesn't make sense based on our thinking. You can't trust anybody in a world like this.
Anyway I can't find a reason to appreciate Prscilla. To me she is like Maiden Astrea in Demon's Souls so don't be fooled by her pretty appearance, she's a demon hidden behind a pretty looking thing.

Ceasless Discharge at least has an elaborate story which is a lot more meaningful to me.

Mike M

Nick N
The item description of the Peculiar Doll makes it sound less like she was banished and more like it was self-imposed exile in a place that others were banished to.

M.D

Your argument is solid about Priscilla but you forget something: if she was banished simply because she is half a dragon, why Seath is still there? To me she clearly did something. With that said, Dark Souls world is really weird and sometimes, it doesn't make sense based on our thinking. You can't trust anybody in a world like this.
Anyway I can't find a reason to appreciate Prscilla. To me she is like Maiden Astrea in Demon's Souls so don't be fooled by her pretty appearance, she's a demon hidden behind a pretty looking thing.

Ceasless Discharge at least has an elaborate story which is a lot more meaningful to me.

Seath betrayed his own kind and helped to fight the dragons.

ixix

Seath's still around because he was a friend of Gwyn, to the point where Gwyn gave him part of his Lord Soul. He's best buds with the big man on campus, he's officially a Duke in the city of the gods, and he's grouped in with Gwyn, Nito, and the Witch of Izalith as one of the baddest SOBs in the world. He's a bit of an exception to the rules concerning dragons, and if dragons are generally classified as such due to possessing the scales of immortality it's debatable whether he even really counts as one, technically.

I don't think she's really intended as an analogue to Astraea except possibly superficially; Demon's Souls is unambiguous about Astraea being pretty abhorrent. The descriptions of the spells you make from her soul in Demon's Souls flat-out call her the most impure demon of all. It's nothing like Priscilla's situation, where the game never says anything seriously negative about her other than that the gods feared her and that a cross between a dragon and whatever her other half is is an affront to all life.

And I might as well just say this straight-up: I really don't like that the artbook flat-out says that CD is the brother of the Daughters of Chaos. I like the game's ambiguity and how indefinitely it presents its narrative, and I dislike ancillary materials undermining what I view as one of the great strengths of the game. I much preferred Ceaseless Discharge before From went and stated on the record that he was a big crybaby.

ixix

Wasn't Astrea clearly enslaving a ton of undead?

The description of one of the archstones in Demon's Souls says that the inhabitants of the Valley of Defilement offer her their souls to be freed from their suffering. And the place where you fight her is a horrific menstruation-themed sacrificial pit/altar surrounded by Depraved Ones in the throes of rapturous adulation.

Astraea's not portrayed as a good person very much at all.

QP3

So finally bought this game and love it. I just defeated the two gargoyles, but here is my question...

Humanity seems important, especially to get those good drops. I currenty have a "9" in the upper left corner. Is this how much humanity I have? If so, is there any way I can store it? I am afraid of dying and losing it...Could someone expelling all of this for me? Thanks!

Nope. She sticks around until you
kill the Bed of Chaos. When you talk to her after that she'll give you the Fire Tempest Pyromancy then leave.

Pretty sure that in 1.05 she will stick around until you buy all the pyromancies from her too.

Humanity seems important, especially to get those good drops. I currenty have a "9" in the upper left corner. Is this how much humanity I have? If so, is there any way I can store it? I am afraid of dying and losing it...Could someone expelling all of this for me? Thanks!

Yeah, that is how much humanity you have. There are two kinds of humanities: loose (that are on your humanity counter) and the item variety kind. You will lose the loose humanities if you die and don't recover your bloodstain but that will happen so don't worry about it that much. Loose humanity increases your item discovery rate, curse resist and every kind of damage resist, but it's not exactly needed in the main playthrough. The main thing you will be spending your humanities on removing hollow status and kindling the fires. You need to be un-hollowed to spawn co-op players, to get invaded and to kindle the fires, which increases your Estus Flask count by +5.

You will get good amounts of humanity (solid and some loose) on your playthrough but they are also farmable, so don't worry if you lose a humanity or two.

In the past 4 hours of my NG+ I have lost about 80 humanities for various things.

Mike M

Nick N
So finally bought this game and love it. I just defeated the two gargoyles, but here is my question...

That's your active humanity, you will lose if if you die, just like souls. You can pick up a consumable item called Humanity that will not be lost, but it doesn't do anything until you use if to give yourself an active point of humanity. No way to reverse the process (ie no turning active humanity into item humanity).

Humanity can be "spent" on kindling flames or leveling up in some covenants if you're afraid of losing it. Otherwise it ups resistance, defense, item discovery rates, and chaos damage.

QP3

That's your active humanity, you will lose if if you die, just like souls. You can pick up a consumable item called Humanity that will not be lost, but it doesn't do anything until you use if to give yourself an active point of humanity. No way to reverse the process (ie no turning active humanity into item humanity).

Humanity can be "spent" on kindling flames or leveling up in some covenants if you're afraid of losing it. Otherwise it ups resistance, defense, item discovery rates, and chaos damage.

Ok so it is kind of gambling when carrying it around? It makes you stronger and gives better drop rates, but if you do you lose it all unless you can recover it? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom