• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosh

I should probably buy that 20K crest to unlock the door in Darkroot Garden. The forest gets so expansive and the only two fires I have in the area are the cliffside cave that leads to VotD and the blacksmith catacombs that leads back to the UP.

Once you're past the thrill of exploration in this area, the crest is a safe investment: it makes everything much faster and smoother to access. At some point, 20k souls become almost trivial anyway.

QP3

Well... just
defeated the Capra Demon and now heading into the Depths for the first time

This game is can be very frustrating, but the satisfaction of finally advancing is very addictive.

Also, just a curious question I have for those who have beaten the game: How long do you think DS would take to beat if the game wasn't so hard?
i.e. if DS was the exact same game, but you could adjust the difficulty to make it so that the average boss/area only took 2-3 tries to complete?

Mike M

Nick N
I remember the first time I had to go thru 3-1 in Demon's Souls. After moving inch by inch in the level, I realized that my hands were actually shaking and sweating, that never happened to me in any game I played before, I was like 'holy shit I'm fucking shaking!' THIS GAME...!!

I get the same feeling from time to time when playing Dark Souls. The first time I got to the wooded area between Crystal Cave and the Archives, I stopped to read a message that said "Be wary of left" only to be jumped a half second later by the crystal golem that had indeed been hiding off to my left. I dispatched him like a boss, only to rotate the camera and find a second one of the bastards had snuck up behind me and was in mid-windup to clobber me. I used the last of my stamina to dodge back and actually screamed a little bit.

My wife just gave me a weird look and said that she didn't understand how playing this game was supposed to be relaxing...

Dyno

after the Elite Knight set nerf, is the default Knight class armor set worth upgrading?

And interesting question! I've been paying special attention to armours to the point where I'm even stating them out and making comparisons. I do this to keep my armour set modest but effective, plus I haven't minded the extra souls from feeding lackluster suits to Frampt.

Knight Set was for all intents and purposes equal to Elite Knight but weighed less. It pales however to a variety of sets available in the game. Pound for pound I found the Caterina set to have some excellent numbers for the weight and if you get that set I bet you will wind up wearing it more and more.

Black Iron Set is worth looking into, as is Silver Knight and Paladin. If you're wearing Havel's Ring and can easily get into the super-heavy stuff then Stone Armour is easy to find and very powerful overall.

Got my humanity back from the forest, I just ran for it!

Then went on to do the four kings, I went through the fog door and then realised I couldn't go back, so thought - well might as well go for it. Beat them no problem, I even had to wait a little while for the fourth one to show up. At lvl 93 I am probably very overpowered at this point, the bosses I've done recently Smough/Ornstein, Sif and Four Kings have all been far easier than I was expecting.

Now I have the red eye orb, I will give it a try, but at lvl 93 and only having invaded once, my experience is far, far lower than my opponents who have probably been handling PvP since the start, so at least you don't lose anything as an invader, which is a comfort!

Got my humanity back from the forest, I just ran for it!

Then went on to do the four kings, I went through the fog door and then realised I couldn't go back, so thought - well might as well go for it. Beat them no problem, I even had to wait a little while for the fourth one to show up. At lvl 93 I am probably very overpowered at this point, the bosses I've done recently Smough/Ornstein, Sif and Four Kings have all been far easier than I was expecting.

Now I have the red eye orb, I will give it a try, but at lvl 93 and only having invaded once, my experience is far, far lower than my opponents who have probably been handling PvP since the start, so at least you don't lose anything as an invader, which is a comfort!

NG+ is where its at. NG+ Four Kings is best king.

Also, just a curious question I have for those who have beaten the game: How long do you think DS would take to beat if the game wasn't so hard?
i.e. if DS was the exact same game, but you could adjust the difficulty to make it so that the average boss/area only took 2-3 tries to complete?

This is just my opinion but: the thing is that the areas can be navigated very quickly if you know what you are doing and/or don't care about picking up all the loot. I don't think that it's really the difficulty that makes the game long, but the fact that it leads you off the main path all the time on purpose.

If you get out of the mentality that you need to beat every enemy again after dying on the first playthrough and stay on the main path on purpose (which I don't really recommend)... maybe 20-25 hours? I know I spent at least 20 hours just doing side things, playing co-op and invasions and collecting weapons.

So I just lost 120,000+ souls and 7 humanity because apparently I rested at a bonfire too soon. :/

I died in as a BP in an invasion, my souls were on top of the bonfire practically, so I collect them it says "RETRIEVAL" on the screen as always, and I must've pressed the button more than once as I sat down at the bonfire, but the souls and humanity didn't tally up and stayed at zero. So I'm kind of pissed now after finally seeing the fun side of PvP for the first time, sigh.

krakov

So I just lost 120,000+ souls and 7 humanity because apparently I rested at a bonfire too soon. :/

I died in as a BP in an invasion, my souls were on top of the bonfire practically, so I collect them it says "RETRIEVAL" on the screen as always, and I must've pressed the button more than once as I sat down at the bonfire, but the souls and humanity didn't tally up and stayed at zero. So I'm kind of pissed now after finally seeing the fun side of PvP for the first time, sigh.

It may be a bug but it shouldn't work that way. When you invade it's quite easy to forget your bloodstain when you lose and just go for another invasion without picking it up. That would result in an empty bloodstain, but as I said, could be a bug as well.

It literally happened like that - I came back in the room - Anor Londo cathedral(?) bonfire, the bloodstain was almost right on the bonfire, picked it up - the words retrieval came up on screen and I sat down at the bonfire, my souls stayed at zero. I even went back to the area where I died in the other player's world to make sure, nothing there. I quit and reloaded - nothing there. Definately a (very shitty) bug!

AEGISX

Banned
And interesting question! I've been paying special attention to armours to the point where I'm even stating them out and making comparisons. I do this to keep my armour set modest but effective, plus I haven't minded the extra souls from feeding lackluster suits to Frampt.

Knight Set was for all intents and purposes equal to Elite Knight but weighed less. It pales however to a variety of sets available in the game. Pound for pound I found the Caterina set to have some excellent numbers for the weight and if you get that set I bet you will wind up wearing it more and more.

Black Iron Set is worth looking into, as is Silver Knight and Paladin. If you're wearing Havel's Ring and can easily get into the super-heavy stuff then Stone Armour is easy to find and very powerful overall.

Nice data man. Why silver knight but not black knight?

2AdEPT

Well... just
defeated the Capra Demon and now heading into the Depths for the first time

This game is can be very frustrating, but the satisfaction of finally advancing is very addictive.

Its only hard for noobs....YOU adjust the difficulty to easy by learning from mistakes.....there is a learnign curve for the game but once you learn the controls and develop a favourite move-set and strategy for the different bosses it becomes very easy....even without equipment. There are SL1 speed runs that take less than 20 hours....I have never watched on you tube in entirety but if my memory serves the record is around 6-8 hours?
Yeah that part almost made me give up the game. So unpolished. It's like world 5 in demons but worse in every aspect.

Im not sure unpolished is the word you mean...hate it or like it, the challenge is intentional, and that level took a lot to develop...same with 5 in Demon's. I hated both worlds at the time on firfst run through ....but now they are cakewalk........ this is genius development....lost izallith gets more deserved criticism for being unpolished. I don't think there was a better momen for me personally than figuring out on my own there was a hidden staircase in 5-2 in demon's where I also inadvertantly decided to hack away at a slug nest I saw up there...only to see a bright shining sword appear where the nest dropped...a unique sword, unlike any other in the game that ignored shields...holy fuck that was the feeling of reward for sticking with that level. I ran into a noob online that said he was ready to quit cause he didn't like 5-2 so I co-op'd with him and let him enter my game. I laready had my sword from a previous playthrough, so when we got the drop and I messaged him that he could pick it up....and keep it....he was overjoyed and ended up finishing the game.....if 5-2 wasn't so punishing, I would never have had these experiences. Demon's Crack it is....and as such DARK was almost overanticipated and a let down at times....but the open choices and the back door secret routes more than made up for any detractions. Blighttown had its part in this brilliance.

AEGISX

Banned
I say unpolished because it's exactly like 5 in demon, copy and paste. Plus the single digit frame rate. At least the frame rate wasn't that bad in demon

krakov

Just recently played Demon's Souls for the first time and I loved Valley of Defilement. Blight Town is still alright though, even with the less than stellar frame rate.

MechaX

I say unpolished because it's exactly like 5 in demon, copy and paste. Plus the single digit frame rate. At least the frame rate wasn't that bad in demon

The frame-rate was indeed terrible, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it copy-and-paste. Enemies were meticulously, annoyingly well-placed (like how the toxic dart guys are positioned just in the right areas, and there are variety in the enemy places).

If you want to see some true copy-and-paste, look at Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'm liking the game a little more as I get further into it, just still surprised at how much more the world layout is like the first God of War rather than Demon's Souls. The combat and boss fights are still great although (old news incoming) the frame rate seems a lot worse than Demon's Souls.

Is there a merchant or wizard/witch type character that I should be keeping an eye out for more pyromancer abilities? I've found the blacksmith near the Undead Parish cathedral and the merchant in Blight Town, but nothing that will increase the eight fire attacks I have inbetween visits to a campfire.

I'm liking the game a little more as I get further into it, just still surprised at how much more the world layout is like the first God of War rather than Demon's Souls. The combat and boss fights are still great although (old news incoming) the frame rate seems a lot worse than Demon's Souls.

Is there a merchant or wizard/witch type character that I should be keeping an eye out for more pyromancer abilities? I've found the blacksmith near the Undead Parish cathedral and the merchant in Blight Town, but nothing that will increase the eight fire attacks I have inbetween visits to a campfire.

Once you find a room with 2
butchers,
, keep an eye out for a sideroom with lots of barrels. Remember: roll, don't swing, you'll get the bling; swing, don't roll, you won't get a thing!

Also, in Blighttown, the
pillar closest to the spider's nest.

M.D

Why do people rarely summon me?

I put my summon sign yesterday in front of Quelaag fog gate (You don't need help if you got to the bonfire in the cave) for like 30 minutes and nothing :(

I remember doing co-op with WOWBagger, and he got summoned a lot of times before I could summon him

I thought you rarely see summon signs, but when we did co-op, I saw a lot of summon signs pretty much everywhere.

Gwyn
seems like he's going to be pretty tough to take down. Thankfully I read that
once you beat him you automatically start new game+, glad I read that before I got serious about beating him.
Mostly upgrade-wise, I need to find some titanite slabs, a couple regular and a red one. Anyone have any tips on where I can find those?

krakov

I put my summon sign yesterday in front of Quelaag fog gate (You don't need help if you got to the bonfire in the cave) for like 30 minutes and nothing :(

I remember doing co-op with WOWBagger, and he got summoned a lot of times before I could summon him

I thought you rarely see summon signs, but when we did co-op, I saw a lot of summon signs pretty much everywhere.

I would recommend placing the sign at the bonfire, SL 30 is fine for the area. I usually put my sign down for a few rounds of slug farming and still get summons now and then.

Mostly upgrade-wise, I need to find some titanite slabs, a couple regular and a red one. Anyone have any tips on where I can find those?

Titanite slab: Stray Demon drop, Siegmeyer quest, Great Hollow Crystal Lizards, Darkwraith drop (rare).
Red Slab: Chest in Lost Izalith, Trade with snuggly (Ascended pyro glove), Octopus thinge drop (rare).

Both can take forever to farm, get the easy ones and move on I'd say.

Titanite slab: Stray Demon drop, Siegmeyer quest, Great Hollow Crystal Lizards, Darkwraith drop (rare).
Red Slab: Chest in Lost Izalith, Trade with snuggly (Ascended pyro glove), Octopus thinge drop (rare).

Both can take forever to farm, get the easy ones and move on I'd say.

Damn. The red slab sounds particularly hard to come by. Which chest in Lost Izalith are you referring to?

If I recall, it's in the poison area (where you meet Onionbro), up on a ledge. You have to drop into the poison pit and go up the stairs to reach it.

It´s in the pit with the 5 octopus-things for the siegemeyer-quest. Run on the outsides of the room.

Gotcha. I know where that is, I helped my friend out in that area and now I do recall him getting a red slab when we were down there. Thanks guys.

Most signs for Blighttown are next to the bonfire, where Maneater Mildred tries to jump you. I get summoned all the time from there at level ranges as high as the 40s.

So can someone explain diving weapons for me? I'm in anor londo right now and I've been using the lightning rod/ iato combo...why would I want to decrease the attack?

krakov

So can someone explain diving weapons for me? I'm in anor londo right now and I've been using the lightning rod/ iato combo...why would I want to decrease the attack?

I'm guessing you mean divine weapons, which scale with faith, if you have high faith it will do decent damage. They are also useful for skeletons as they won't revive when killed by divine weapons. However, they are mostly useless and not very good compare to other upgrade paths. Occult is similar but with better faith scaling.

Magic/Enchanted is the same, but scales with INT instead of FAI.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So, in the PC version, we'll get to fight
Artorias.

...I need to buy a new PC. GIGATON.

I'm pretty enthused about the PC version, but I wish they hadn't given that away. I'd have preferred my first time seeing the man himself to happen in the game.

Before 1.05 it was pretty standard to drop signs before boss doors, but after 1.05 with the connectivity improvements and concomitant increase in invasions most people want to have their phantoms with them during the trip to the boss in case there are unwanted guests. You'll have far more luck getting co-op action if you put your sign down near bonfires instead of boss doors.

Finally upgraded my Bastard Sword to +15 last night. That plus Crystal Magic Weapon equals unstoppableness of an unstoppably unstoppable proportion.

Daigoro

finished the game last night. lv 83 at around 84 hours. i lit the fire. last boss was cool, but still pretty easy with my equipment. cool fight though.

started playing NG+ and couldnt stop for a while. found the Gravelord covenant first thing then went and beat Capra Demon and cleared the Depths.

brilliant game. i really enjoy it very much. i rarely play and enjoy RPG's, but everything about this game is just amazing. i love it.

elohel

finished the game last night. lv 83 at around 84 hours. i lit the fire. last boss was cool, but still pretty easy with my equipment. cool fight though.

started playing NG+ and couldnt stop for a while. found the Gravelord covenant first thing then went and beat Capra Demon and cleared the Depths.

brilliant game. i really enjoy it very much. i rarely play and enjoy RPG's, but everything about this game is just amazing. i love it.

agreedo

Jarlaxle

I'm looking for a little help with my build. I'm a sorcerer and using mainly magic.

I have Vit 22, Att 28, and Int 50. The only other stat I've added anything else to was Str +1 to get to 10 so I could use a certain catalyst. I've heard that adding more points to Int after 50 might not really be worth it so I'm not sure what stats to level up next. Is adding points to Dex worth it for faster spellcasting? Should I add more End so I could wear something heavier and still roll around or should I just keep pumping points into Int?

I just got to Sen's Fortress last night. I went in there once and got knocked right off by the swining blades upstairs. I plan to really dig in this weekend. Thanks for the help and I'm still loving the game.

krakov

I'm looking for a little help with my build. I'm a sorcerer and using mainly magic.

I have Vit 22, Att 28, and Int 50. The only other stat I've added anything else to was Str +1 to get to 10 so I could use a certain catalyst. I've heard that adding more points to Int after 50 might not really be worth it so I'm not sure what stats to level up next. Is adding points to Dex worth it for faster spellcasting? Should I add more End so I could wear something heavier and still roll around or should I just keep pumping points into Int?

I just got to Sen's Fortress last night. I went in there once and got knocked right off by the swining blades upstairs. I plan to really dig in this weekend. Thanks for the help and I'm still loving the game.

I would recommend getting a good melee weapon. First of all, get the required stats, then think about leveling up dex/str for scaling. You can enchant most weapons with magic which makes them very powerful, even if they are bad without it. End and Vit is always useful, it's up to you to decide.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

I would definitely recommend cutting off the tail of a certain dragon
Seath the Scaleless
to obtain the Moonlight Greatsword. It scales with INT and is overall pretty bad ass. You might need a bit more STR to use it.

Otherwise go for something quick and light, like an elemental Shotel or the Balder 'Swag' Sword. Getting your endurance and vitality to at least 20 is fairly recommended and I would definitely wear the Ring of Favor and Protection until you get those stats higher. Don't worry about levelling Dex for the moment, just put some points in before SL 125.

Main points:

-look into a Moonlight Greatsword or a light and fast weapon you can use your enchantments on.

-get some more endurance so you can find a nice set to wear that keeps you under 50% weight. fAp ring recommended.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Don't put any more points into Int. Beyond 50 diminishing returns start kicking in hard, and 50 Int is enough to use any Sorcery in the game.

For a heavily Int-focused character I recommend getting your Strength to 16. That's the minimum requirement for what is easily one of the best weapons for an Int build unless you're planning on using weapon enchantments instead. It also takes 10 Dex, but if you started as a Sorcerer that's a non-issue. Just make sure to be diligent in cutting off tails to ensure you get it. It scales with Int, so don't worry about taking your Str and Dex beyond the minimum requirement.

Other than that getting your Endurance to 40 is a fine investment on any character, after 40 you stop gaining increased Stamina so it's not really worth it unless you really want to increase your maximum equipment load. Vitality is always a fine choice as well; you can always use more HP.

And though it's too late to do anything about it, your Attunement is probably higher than it needs to be. Bonfires aren't so distantly spaced that there's any urgent need for 7 Attunement slots, I've always found four or five to be perfectly sufficient. That's mostly a matter of personal preference, though.

And on a somewhat tangential note you're a pretty high level. Those stats should put you at SL 60-something, which I think is about twice the level of my first character at that point in the game.

I was going to get back my 120,000 lost souls from last night by turning Anor Londo dark and farming the dudes waiting for you in the main hall, but as I started I realised I needed lvl 18 Faith to use Homeward miracle and I was only at 11, so I used what homeward bones I had to do that for a bit, then I decided to do PvP instead.

Definately not a good idea to do PvP when there are a lot of Japanese players online they just trashed me in seconds in Anor Londo. I had much more luck in the forest - it seems you can get summoned (white) or invade much easier there, where as almost as soon as you materialise in Anor Londo you're being invaded yourself.

I invaded the same guy a few times in a row, he must've kept going human, I felt kind of bad, but he was an easy target, which is rare. As soon as I see a 3-on-1, I just use the shrug gesture and let them have it for free, it's pointless even trying!

As soon as I see a 3-on-1, I just use the shrug gesture and let them have it for free, it's pointless even trying!

This I can't do. If I ever invade and see that many against me, I just draw them to an area with bad footing. Usually I can get them to lose one to a fall, and, if I'm lucky, I can toxic one of the others. As long as you're not in blighttown, people don't usually have the moss on a quick select. From there, it's just patience, skill, and a little bit of luck.

Jarlaxle

And though it's too late to do anything about it, your Attunement is probably higher than it needs to be. Bonfires aren't so distantly spaced that there's any urgent need for 7 Attunement slots, I've always found four or five to be perfectly sufficient. That's mostly a matter of personal preference, though.

And on a somewhat tangential note you're a pretty high level. Those stats should put you at SL 60-something, which I think is about twice the level of my first character at that point in the game.

Yeah, I've spent many hours just collecting souls to level up. I can't remember what SL I'm at but I think it takes about 26,000 or so to go up a level now which basically only happens when I beat a boss or just farm for souls. It's kind of sad that I still die so easily in the game. lol

The reason I wanted more attunement slots is that I really don't use any weapons at all. I haven't swung a sword once in the game so far. Therefore, I really wanted enough slots to never have to worry about running out of spells. I don't plan on putting anymore points in this though.

Thanks everyone else for the help.

M.D

I would recommend placing the sign at the bonfire, SL 30 is fine for the area. I usually put my sign down for a few rounds of slug farming and still get summons now and then.

Most signs for Blighttown are next to the bonfire, where Maneater Mildred tries to jump you. I get summoned all the time from there at level ranges as high as the 40s.

Before 1.05 it was pretty standard to drop signs before boss doors, but after 1.05 with the connectivity improvements and concomitant increase in invasions most people want to have their phantoms with them during the trip to the boss in case there are unwanted guests. You'll have far more luck getting co-op action if you put your sign down near bonfires instead of boss doors.

I try to co-op entire areas with people I know (=GAF Members :p), so I try and get summoned just for the boss. Tried to put a sign in Anor Londo (second) bonfire, and waited there for some time. No luck :(

I did so much today.. Man, I should really take a break from this game lol

Finished Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo, Painted World and Darkroot Basin. I joined the forest covenant and actually used it for PVP.
Man, everyone acts like a dick out there in the forest :p It's always a couple of guys on one, and there are always more people invading. I actually got quite a few invasions in the hidden bonfire in front of the entrance, but when I tried to get invasions in Firelink/Second bonfire after it, I got none.

Oh, also did New Londo Ruins. Tried to beat Four Kings a couple of times, but no luck. It will probably be a lot easier just using magic, but I'm trying to do melee it as much as I can.

I think I found my favorite weapon in the game. I used Uchigatana for a long time with my first character and loved it. I remember reading how much better is the Iaito, and that it has a useful R2 attack unlike Uchi.

I gave it a try, and while it decent, I much prefer the Uchi move-set from what I remember.

I then listened to all the people praising Balder Side Sword, and what do you know... They were right! I LOVE THIS THING. Amazing weapon, love it's move-set, and it's got pretty good base damage and A scaling with DEX which I currently have at 31.

I'm going to take this weapon to +15.

Also, need a bit of advice. I'm currently SL 57-62

14 VIT
13 END
14 STR
31 DEX
35 INT

My plan is to level all the way to 120, and I want this character for PVP. Do you suggest leveling to 120 in this playthrough, or waiting to NG+ and finish the game at around 90? I know the VIT and END are low, but I'm actually doing fine with those ATM. I also recently equipped the ROFAP

Soulhouf

Yeah, I've spent many hours just collecting souls to level up. I can't remember what SL I'm at but I think it takes about 26,000 or so to go up a level now which basically only happens when I beat a boss or just farm for souls. It's kind of sad that I still die so easily in the game. lol

Even at SL200 you'll still die. The level is not very important.
The very first enemy who killed you the first time can still kill you now if you don't pay attention.

Dyno

Nice data man. Why silver knight but not black knight?

Black Knight is heavier with good physical and fire defense. I prefer to wear Black Iron if I'm going that route. I also found out last night that the Ornstein Set is excellent! Well worth purchasing from Domhall.

Also I forgot to mention that Gargoyle Helm is better than most of the heavy armour helms. Only when you get to Super Heavy armours does it's numbers get outclassed. Gargoyal is great for all-around defense and resitances so it will compliment most any other suit you wear for only 3.5 pounds. A real bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom