• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyno

Gwyn
seems like he's going to be pretty tough to take down. Thankfully I read that
once you beat him you automatically start new game+, glad I read that before I got serious about beating him.
Mostly upgrade-wise, I need to find some titanite slabs, a couple regular and a red one. Anyone have any tips on where I can find those?

Red Titanite Slab:

In Lost Izalith. There is a large room with a roof and a treasure. It is rare to find a roof over your head in Lost Izalith so it shouldn't be hard to discern. BEWARE! The floor gives out and you will tumble below. It won't kill you but now you're trapped! There may be a way to set off the floor without falling in but I fell for it. There are those large chaos beasts inside. They stand in poisonous waters to have your Rusty Ring handy. Inside are many red titanite chunks and a chest with a red slab. There are flattened roots that will allow you to walk out of this pit. You may be able to walk down them as well if you set off the trap but don't fall in.

Dyno

Played in Lost Izalith at the second bonfire and to my delight I found out it is a Sunbro haven! I was summoned to assist in many games. My symbol was being picked up only a few seconds after putting it down. Helped kill the Bed of Chaos around four times (plus other failed attempts) before I decided it was my turn.

After a few hours of playing just around that bonfire I put my Str. from 46 - 50 and my End. from 30 - 33. Now I can run around with the awesome Havel's Shield! Though heavy, that shield replaces almost all my other shields. Between Havel and the Great Shield of Astorias I am set for defense.

Woorloog

Banned
I recently got Dark Souls, while it is a bit different from what i expected, it is interesting nonetheless. Though i still need to figure out a playstyle i like.
One question though, what advantage does holding a weapon with two hands confer? Stronger attacks with reduced defense?

I recently got Dark Souls, while it is a bit different from what i expected, it is interesting nonetheless. Though i still need to figure out a playstyle i like.
One question though, what advantage does holding a weapon with two hands confer? Stronger attacks with reduced defense?

More damage but blocking with the weapon will cut through your stamina faster and, usually, weapons does not block 100% of the damage, so even though you blocked with the weapon, you may take some hp as well as stamina.

Frank

Also, you can use weapons you don't have yet stats for to 1H. And, less equipped weight if you commit fully to 2H a weapon -- possibly meaning the fastest roll/movement depending on your equipement. No shield, no secondary weapons. Just the armor and the weapon.

Not that I would recommend this approach, especially to a first timer. But occasionally playing like this can teach you a few things about reading the patterns of enemies, and about evading, baiting and attacking.

And thank you to the guys giving hints about how to better use the Zwei during PvP matches. Roll + R1 is a beast, and it does take a lot of people by surprise as it has quite a long reach. Managed to poke to death even a couple of high Poise fighters, both bully and aggressive and betting a lot on their armour. The Zwei being Fire +10 also helps, as it deals a ridiculous amount of damage.

MechaX

Does anyone have any suggestions on good looking helmets?

I'm currently rocking the Brass Helm, and that looks cool, except for being quite off-color from my character's other attire (black knight armor, hard leather gloves, blood-stained dress).

Zertez

I'm currently rocking the Brass Helm, and that looks cool, except for being quite off-color from my character's other attire (black knight armor, hard leather gloves, blood-stained dress).
I think helm designs in Dark Souls is one of the most disappointing things about the game. I like the look of Crimson Hood, but it has low stats. The Dark Wraith mask looks nice, but I missed out of the covenant to get it. The Dark Knight is also pretty nice looking as well. I use the Elite Helm most the time, but it is pretty plain looking.

Played in Lost Izalith at the second bonfire and to my delight I found out it is a Sunbro haven! I was summoned to assist in many games. My symbol was being picked up only a few seconds after putting it down. Helped kill the Bed of Chaos around four times (plus other failed attempts) before I decided it was my turn.

After a few hours of playing just around that bonfire I put my Str. from 46 - 50 and my End. from 30 - 33. Now I can run around with the awesome Havel's Shield! Though heavy, that shield replaces almost all my other shields. Between Havel and the Great Shield of Astorias I am set for defense.

What SL are you? I might have to head there for some co-op. I need to kill bed of chaos anyway.

My favorite setup is this:

gold hemmed black hood
gold hemmed black cloak
golem gauntlets
golem leggings

Black Iron set is also pretty nice but it depends on the lighting.

RyanDG

I use the mask of the father in most my builds, mostly because it's one of the more entertaining looking masks and fits well with my PvP/Invasion builds.

Mxrz

Almost all my characters use either the thief mask, maiden hood, or painting guardian hood. Don't really care for the full helms on female characters. It was the same with Demon's.

I want to try a Firebomb & Throwing knife run. Wonder if bosses would even be possible with the 99 inventory limit. But I bet there already videos.

Red Titanite Slab:

In Lost Izalith. There is a large room with a roof and a treasure. It is rare to find a roof over your head in Lost Izalith so it shouldn't be hard to discern. BEWARE! The floor gives out and you will tumble below. It won't kill you but now you're trapped! There may be a way to set off the floor without falling in but I fell for it. There are those large chaos beasts inside. They stand in poisonous waters to have your Rusty Ring handy. Inside are many red titanite chunks and a chest with a red slab. There are flattened roots that will allow you to walk out of this pit. You may be able to walk down them as well if you set off the trap but don't fall in.

Yup, got it. Thanks for the advice.

2AdEPT

Those are the scariest times in this game. Because now you have to be super extra careful. Good luck.

I tried to look for the Painted World today but didn't find anything. I guess its back to the Tomb of The Giants. Place gives me the creeps though.

For painted, it is painted it is called "painted" world for a reason...if you have made it to the archers in anor londo you have passed right by the paint in order to open the gargoyle bridges that get you there. Ohters that said "painted" guardians are nearby I thought gave too mcuh info, as indeed they are guarding something painted.......but if you are still having trouble...I will ask again:

DO you have the special item that you need in order for the prompt to enter the world to register? Otherwise you could be standing right in the correct spot and not even know you are there. Ensure you ahve a
small doll
in your inventory or you will not be able to enter the world and you likely have passed right by numerous times ohterwise.

edit just askl if you need the doll location.

Mxrz

People don't fall for chameleon any more. The lighting looks off in the forest.

I forgot to check with swamp witch when I made this character, and now she doesn't seem to spawn. Bit of a shame, wanted to use my excess souls to eventually try out pyromancy in pvp.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just went through Dark Souls |OT| (the original one)... fucking depressing :lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, where to go next? Most recently i beat Anor Londo for the Lordvessel, went and did New Londo Ruins, drained the water and beat 4 kings. Then i went to Dukes Archives did that and Crystal Caves and beat Seath. I cant think of where to go next, or how to get there...lol I hear you guys talking about Valley of the Giants and Lost Izalith (sp) but i dont know where they are...??

genjiZERO

Ok, where to go next? Most recently i beat Anor Londo for the Lordvessel, went and did New Londo Ruins, drained the water and beat 4 kings. Then i went to Dukes Archives did that and Crystal Caves and beat Seath. I cant think of where to go next, or how to get there...lol I hear you guys talking about 1 Valley of the Giants and 2Lost Izalith (sp) but i dont know where they are...??

through catacombs
through demon ruins

there's also a hidden area you may have missed....
in Blighttown, by the leeches, up a tree, behind a couple of hidden walls behind a treasure chest...

AEGISX

Banned
Black Knight is heavier with good physical and fire defense. I prefer to wear Black Iron if I'm going that route. I also found out last night that the Ornstein Set is excellent! Well worth purchasing from Domhall.

Also I forgot to mention that Gargoyle Helm is better than most of the heavy armour helms. Only when you get to Super Heavy armours does it's numbers get outclassed. Gargoyal is great for all-around defense and resitances so it will compliment most any other suit you wear for only 3.5 pounds. A real bargain!

Awesome info man. Black iron is too heavy for 40 endurance though. Since Havel ring is a must, might as well be using the best yet the heaviest armor set - the Havel set.

I think helm designs in Dark Souls is one of the most disappointing things about the game. I like the look of Crimson Hood, but it has low stats. The Dark Wraith mask looks nice, but I missed out of the covenant to get it. The Dark Knight is also pretty nice looking as well. I use the Elite Helm most the time, but it is pretty plain looking.

Ornstein's just looks so...empty without the plume.

I'm happy with Mask of the child, I wear it with full Ornstein's. I almost feel like stats for head slot don't matter, where whatever looks best!

2AdEPT

Also, you can use weapons you don't have yet stats for to 1H. And, less equipped weight if you commit fully to 2H a weapon -- possibly meaning the fastest roll/movement depending on your equipement. No shield, no secondary weapons. Just the armor and the weapon.
most often you get a different move set for two handing as well.

I personally like the Giant's helm and gauntlets with the Ornstein torso and leggings.

For looks and bad assness with tonnes of poise, not sure anything beats havels gauntlets and leggings, with Darkwraith hat and armour.

Ornstein's just looks so...empty without the plume.

I honestly like the player version of Ornstein's set WAY better than his version. Ours has the shoulders pointing down which looks way more badass than his which go out to the sides and look clunky, and ours is a baller silver/gold hybrid color.

The plume is missed, but I don't even wear a helmet so it doesn't bug me that much.

Mik2121

Jeez.. I'm horrible at this game :p

I just rented it (free) from work (working at a game company has some cool perks lol) for the weekend and I'm enjoying it. I might even buy a copy for myself, but I'm still not sure. Also, the copy I'm playing now is PAL, whereas I'd only be able to get the Japanese version.

Anyway, I only played like 10 mins of Demon's Souls and this is the first time playing Dark Souls. I'm on Undead Burg, on the bonfire next to a very short bridge with two guys throwing fire bombs (whatever they're called...) and now I can seem to only find two paths, either one where there's this Taurus Demon which destroys me in a second, or another path with a smaller guy (still bigger than me) looking to the opposite side, that also destroys me with his bullshit sword.

I think I have to go kill the smaller guy because the Taurus Demon is way too much...

But I might go and buy a copy for myself first, because otherwise whenever I get it after playing this more, I would have to start from the beginning again.

Also, what item (think it was called a gift?) would you guys choose when you create a new character?

xmShake

Neo Member

I just rented it (free) from work (working at a game company has some cool perks lol) for the weekend and I'm enjoying it. I might even buy a copy for myself, but I'm still not sure. Also, the copy I'm playing now is PAL, whereas I'd only be able to get the Japanese version.

Anyway, I only played like 10 mins of Demon's Souls and this is the first time playing Dark Souls. I'm on Undead Burg, on the bonfire next to a very short bridge with two guys throwing fire bombs (whatever they're called...) and now I can seem to only find two paths, either one where there's this Taurus Demon which destroys me in a second, or another path with a smaller guy (still bigger than me) looking to the opposite side, that also destroys me with his bullshit sword.

I think I have to go kill the smaller guy because the Taurus Demon is way too much...

But I might go and buy a copy for myself first, because otherwise whenever I get it after playing this more, I would have to start from the beginning again.

Also, what item (think it was called a gift?) would you guys choose when you create a new character?

By smaller guy could you be perhaps referring to the black knight? You can just fight him later when you're stronger, he doesnt actually lead to anything besides a not so good ring.

If you're having trouble with the taurus demon, trying using firebombs or any spells / pyromancies you have. Wait for him to attack, get out of range, then attack him real quick when his axe hits the ground.

The best gift is the master key. All the other ones are fairly useless.

Best gift IMO is the Master Key, lets you unlock several doors that you would otherwise have to hunt down a key for. For example, a room in the Undead Burg right before that aforementioned "smaller guy with the bullshit sword". XD

As for Taurus Demon, you're gonna have to get past him so here's how you do it:

Before you run up to where he jumps down from his perch, go up the ladder behind you (on the tower that you came in at) and kill the two Hollows up there. Then go back down and trigger him to jump out. As soon as you do haul ass for the ladder and climb up, by the time you get to the top he should try to jump and swing at the ground below.

When this happens, drop off the ledge and plunge attack him (like they showed you in the tutorial area against Asylum Demon), hits for huge damage. Depending on how much life you took out of him you can either go toe-to-toe or climb back up if you get an opening and repeat. Just watch out because if you take too long he can and will jump up to the top of the tower after you.

Zertez

Is it possible to trade in this game? Found out tonight you can not repair crystal weapons if broken. Got hit with acid and broke a Crystal Avelyn. Only got to use the weapon for less than 20 minutes. :/ Im SL 83, on PSN if anyone can help.

M.D

I love CO-OP so much

Had a great time doing Four Kings and Dukes+Seath with 6for8 (WTF Is that supposed to mean? lol), and he also gave me some great items :) Thank your kind sir, I had a great time! Would love to co-op again.

I'm still a noob, even in my third plathrough lol :p

SL95 - 22 VIT, 22 END, 14 STR, 40 DEX, 44 INT
I'll use the build Booshka suggested, but I'm unsure if I should stay at this level until NG+, or level all the way to 120 in this playthrough

Also, holy shit the spells you buy from Logan at Dukes are powerful. CMW is amazing :p Gonna kick some ass in PVP now. I hope :)

I'm happy with Mask of the child, I wear it with full Ornstein's. I almost feel like stats for head slot don't matter, where whatever looks best!

yeah, i use Hollow Thief's Hood (with its shitty stats) just because it looks the best on my main character. i even used a slab on it to upgrade it to +10 :p

I went through Duke's Archives with my archer character and picked up Avelyn (after four failed attempts, the last of which when I managed to open the chest but then got shot by the archers). I then proceeded to beat Seath... but it was rather tense. I got killed by the maneaters and had 25k souls there, but I used a humanity to try and summon someone. Then as I approached the Crystal Caves I was invaded, so I had to rush all the way down there and start the bossfight. As an extra, one of the maneaters entered the fight with Seath so I had to fend him off while the dragon was approaching.

Now I've made Avelyn divine, but before I go into catacombs I'm gonna do Lost Izalith as usual, to get some proper light. Is it possible to snipe the Bed of Chaos orbs somehow without going in there?

Black knight armor and Velka's helm looks God-tier awesome. Also Silver Knight with cleric helm/ balder helm/ iron helm all look great. Gargoyle helm is also very nice on Ornstien's armor when non-hollowed.

Mike M

Nick N
Is it possible to trade in this game? Found out tonight you can not repair crystal weapons if broken. Got hit with acid and broke a Crystal Avelyn. Only got to use the weapon for less than 20 minutes. :/ Im SL 83, on PSN if anyone can help.

You took it Crystal? Oooooouch.

Can you upgrade a broken weapon? I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure upgrading a crystal weapon resets it's damage counter.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Will I still be able to talk to the giant black smith if I
kill the Darkmoon Covenant boss ?

Yep. He's a pretty chill guy. Nothing you do short of attacking him directly will piss him off.

Mik2121

By smaller guy could you be perhaps referring to the black knight? You can just fight him later when you're stronger, he doesnt actually lead to anything besides a not so good ring.

If you're having trouble with the taurus demon, trying using firebombs or any spells / pyromancies you have. Wait for him to attack, get out of range, then attack him real quick when his axe hits the ground.

The best gift is the master key. All the other ones are fairly useless.

Best gift IMO is the Master Key, lets you unlock several doors that you would otherwise have to hunt down a key for. For example, a room in the Undead Burg right before that aforementioned "smaller guy with the bullshit sword". XD

As for Taurus Demon, you're gonna have to get past him so here's how you do it:

Before you run up to where he jumps down from his perch, go up the ladder behind you (on the tower that you came in at) and kill the two Hollows up there. Then go back down and trigger him to jump out. As soon as you do haul ass for the ladder and climb up, by the time you get to the top he should try to jump and swing at the ground below.

When this happens, drop off the ledge and plunge attack him (like they showed you in the tutorial area against Asylum Demon), hits for huge damage. Depending on how much life you took out of him you can either go toe-to-toe or climb back up if you get an opening and repeat. Just watch out because if you take too long he can and will jump up to the top of the tower after you.

Thanks guys! I ended up buying the game myself so I have to start again from the beginning. This time around though, I can get through the tutorial and the first couple small areas without dying. So much difference compared to my first playthrough earlier this weekend (late Saturday night here) where I kept dying all the time. I will also remember to go the Taurus Demon way.

Also, the Japanese version seems to only have texts in Japanese, and all the locations have Japanese names, so it will be a bitch when asking here, having to search for the English names and whatnot :p

it is possible to descend the weapon down to regular Avelyn when it is broken?

Mik2121

Ok guys, got an important question!

I just killed the Taurus Demon and my hands are still shaking (LOL.. yes.. first time playing as I've said a bunch of times here already). I got close to 8000 souls which might not be much (or maybe yes?) whenever you get further along, but for me right now sounds like a lot..

Anyway, I wanna use it all to level up, but I fear I might have to backtrack a lot. If I do so, whenever the enemies show up again, do I still need to kill the goddamn Demon again? Or he won't show up anymore?

Ok guys, got an important question!

I just killed the Taurus Demon and my hands are still shaking (LOL.. yes.. first time playing as I've said a bunch of times here already). I got close to 8000 souls which might not be much (or maybe yes?) whenever you get further along, but for me right now sounds like a lot..

Anyway, I wanna use it all to level up, but I fear I might have to backtrack a lot. If I do so, whenever the enemies show up again, do I still need to kill the goddamn Demon again? Or he won't show up anymore?

Taurus Demon won't show up again.

Mik2121

Jeez.. I don't know what happened right now. Some guy was supposed to join my world (?) but the connection failed. Then after a bit I saw that someone else joined my world. I was all happy thinking I would get some help, and before I know and after getting quite far from the closest bonfire, just as I was looking at some nice vistas, I get killed from behind by some guy glowing in red with what seemed to be quite the strong weapon and heavy armor.

Anyway, fuck this guy. Shit's not cool :(

Is there a way to prevent idiots from joining my world? I'd rather just have to care about the normal enemies rather than having to stay around with some guy trying to kill me just because.

soultron

Banned
Jeez.. I don't know what happened right now. Some guy was supposed to join my world (?) but the connection failed. Then after a bit I saw that someone else joined my world. I was all happy thinking I would get some help, and before I know and after getting quite far from the closest bonfire, just as I was looking at some nice vistas, I get killed from behind by some guy glowing in red with what seemed to be quite the strong weapon and heavy armor.

Is there a way to prevent idiots from joining my world? I'd rather just have to care about the normal enemies rather than having to stay around with some guy trying to kill me just because.

You were invaded. If you're not in human form (glowing white numbers in the circle next to your life and stamina bars) you won't be invaded. /thumbsup

I'm playing offline exclusively for my first playthrough because I'd rather deal with online jackassery in NG+.

So I'm at an impasse. Not really a dead end, but I don't know where to go next. I used some of my inventory soul items to get to 20K so that I could purchase the Crest of Astorias. I don't have to go down through DRB, past the Hydra lake, and all that to get back up into my relatively unexplored section of DRG. Pretty awesome. I might take on the boss near Alvina/Forest Covenant soon.

Or I could go into VOD and muster up the courage to walk past the
dead dragon on the cliff.

Or I could go into the Catacombs. But that shit was scary. I think I'm going to get Cast Light before I bother going there.

Or I could go into what I think was Blighttown... I took an elevator down from Firebrand to get there. But I'm scared to go down there too. Haha.

Why did I do the happy/beautiful shit first? I should've done BT and Cata first! Now my second half of the game is going to be super depressing and scary. Hahaha.

I also have a few questions about Firebrand, since returning. I spoke with Lautrec, and he seems cool, but his dialogue leads nowhere. Is there something I need to kill before he'll speak with me further? Also, when I was moving to the Catacombs, the gigantic crow perched over that shallow pool started making noise (subtitles appeared that sounded like snoring?) but I have no clue why.

Any idea why the Miracles trophy doesn't unlock even though I collected them all ? I just checked in my inventory looking at the wiki at the same time, I'm not missing any. Is it a bug ? apparently there is 23 miracles and I count 22 in my inventory, yet I can't find the one that I don't have. Wtf lol

keep at it. I'm sure you will be able to find out which one.

MechaX

Good inputs about the helmets. I'll probably go off to find the Velka's Mask soon.

And even after a half-year of playing this game, the Blight Town wheel still manages to be my biggest source of deaths. Would it have killed From to make the platform just a little bit closer?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
You were invaded. If you're not in human form (glowing white numbers in the circle next to your life and stamina bars) you won't be invaded. /thumbsup

I'm playing offline exclusively for my first playthrough because I'd rather deal with online jackassery in NG+.

So I'm at an impasse. Not really a dead end, but I don't know where to go next. I used some of my inventory soul items to get to 20K so that I could purchase the Crest of Astorias. I don't have to go down through DRB, past the Hydra lake, and all that to get back up into my relatively unexplored section of DRG. Pretty awesome. I might take on the boss near Alvina/Forest Covenant soon.

Or I could go into VOD and muster up the courage to walk past the
dead dragon on the cliff.

Or I could go into the Catacombs. But that shit was scary. I think I'm going to get Cast Light before I bother going there.

Or I could go into what I think was Blighttown... I took an elevator down from Firebrand to get there. But I'm scared to go down there too. Haha.

Why did I do the happy/beautiful shit first? I should've done BT and Cata first! Now my second half of the game is going to be super depressing and scary. Hahaha.

I also have a few questions about Firebrand, since returning. I spoke with Lautrec, and he seems cool, but his dialogue leads nowhere. Is there something I need to kill before he'll speak with me further? Also, when I was moving to the Catacombs, the gigantic crow perched over that shallow pool started making noise (subtitles appeared that sounded like snoring?) but I have no clue why.

Catacombs
are a pretty bad choice right now. Heading down there is a dead end at the moment, there are some useful things in there but the only way out after getting them will be to take the heel-toe express right back up the way you came, which isn't a lot of fun.

The place you found at the bottom of the elevator is
New Londo
. Place is brutal, and you can't finish it yet unless you're willing to be a bit of a dick. It's a place best saved for later.

Have you been to the
Lower Undead Burg
and fought
Capra
yet? If you haven't that should be your next stop. That'll get you the key to
the Depths
, which lead to everybody's favorite area,
Blighttown
, which should be your ultimate objective. When you finish it the game will make your next destination clear.

Lautrec's just waiting at the moment. Keep playing and he'll take action eventually. The snoring wasn't the crow; you'll meet what was making that sound in due time.

Staying in Hollow form keeps you from being invaded. As long as you don't spend Humanity to change to Human form you'll be safe from invasions, though being Hollow also prevents you from summoning allies. There are a lot of invaders who hang out in the early areas kitted out with late-game gear just to ambush new players. Even if he hadn't snuck up on you it's highly doubtful you would've stood a chance.

In general you should keep in mind that if another player enters your game and you didn't explicitly summon him he's going to be hostile. Co-op is invitation-only, PvP isn't. If you get a message out of the blue that someone else is in your world they are not your friend.

soultron

Banned
I had no idea there was more to the UDB. I will go back there, ixix! Thanks for your tips!

Also, what's the best way to use the (Darkroot Garden boss item spoiler)
Soul of the Moonlight Butterfly
?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I had no idea there was more to the UDB. I will go back there, ixix! Thanks for your tips!

There is another path near where you met Solaire by the big bridge. It's kind of cool because it lets you see how connected Undead Burg is.

soultron

Banned
There is another path near where you met Solaire by the big bridge. It's kind of cool because it lets you see how connected Undead Burg is.

I really need to go back and explore around there, yeah. I'm probably going to explore all the way from Firebrand (the way you originally get into the Burg) rather than going through DRG/DRB and back via the UDP where the blacksmith is.

mxgt

Banned

Also, what's the best way to use the (Darkroot Garden boss item spoiler)
Soul of the Moonlight Butterfly
?

It can be used to make a decent int scaling weapon for magic based users until you can get Moonlight Greatsword later in the game

At least that's what I used it for on my sorcery based character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom