• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
It can be used to make a decent int scaling weapon for magic based users until you can get Moonlight Greatsword later in the game

At least that's what I used it for on my sorcery based character

I'm more of a DEX character (Wanderer) so should I just consume it, in that case?

Can somebody help me with summoning others for the gargoyle fight? I met Solar and rescued Lautrec but I can't see their summon signs or the ones of other players. I have 1 humanity and got summoned once to help another guy with the gargoyles.
edit: I think I know why it doesn't work. I'm just holding the humanity and didn't activate it at the bonfire.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm more of a DEX character (Wanderer) so should I just consume it, in that case?

Do you have any interest in getting the trophies/achievements? If you want to get them all there are two items that can be made with that soul and you need them both. If you don't have any particular desire to finish Ye Olde Arbitrary Video Game Checklist then that soul is of little use to a non-Int character.

And actually it's pretty useless to an Int character too. Neither item you can forge from it is particularly good.

Can somebody help me with summoning others for the gargoyle fight? I met Solar and rescued Lautrec but I can't see their summon signs or the ones of other players. I have 1 humanity and got summoned once to help another guy with the gargoyles.

If you can't see signs you're in Hollow form. Visit a bonfire and choose to Reverse Hollowing to consume a point of Humanity and change to Human form. Then you'll be able to summon help.

Mxrz

Solarie's summoning sign is right outside the gargoyle fog gate, I believe. No clue about Lautrec, never actually summoned him.

I was invading New Londo today, and having a lot of luck hiding as a pot inside the room next to the first platform/elevator. Then I invaded one guy, ran past him and his friends, took my usual spot and waited. Then a few moments later "Boss challenged, returning home!" - Huh. So I took a look around in my world, and found how he did it. Never thought of trying that before.

Picked up a couple kills in the forest with a whip. Feels good to kill higher levels with such a terrible moveset. The second R2 seems like it has good range? Just takes most of my stamina to use it.

I only tried Four Kings once with this character, and got my butt kicked with my standard gear. I wasn't able to just straightout beat them down like with my others. I'm terrible at judging weapon range in this fight. So half the time I'm swinging at nothing.

M.D

Do you have one in the counter on the top left or in the inventory? If it's in the inventory, use it and then select "Reverse Hollowing" when you rest at a bonfire. If you have on in the counter you just need to select that option in the bonfire.

Humanity in the counter on the left is what considering active humanity, and you can get it in different ways, and you also get it when using humanity in the form of an item. It can be used for many different things.

Be careful though, if you die you'll be hollow again, but if you can get your bloodstain, you will regain you're humanity (It'll be in the counter). Also, when you're in human form, you can get invaded by other players.

Once you do this you'll be able to summon NPC's in certain boss fights, and summon players who put down their summon signs (Most do in the bonfires)

What level are you right now?

Great, I got 1 humanity at the bonfire, went to the sign of Solar, decided to go quickly to the toilet before the fight and got invaded and killed while being afk :D

M.D

Great, I got 1 humanity at the bonfire, went to the sign of Solar, decided to go quickly to the toilet before the fight and got invaded and killed while being afk :D

What a dick :p

The rats under the bridge with the dragon have a decent chance to drop humanity

What level are you? I'll be glad to help you, but I'm SL95 with my character, that's probably too high :\

What a dick :p

The rats under the bridge with the dragon have a decent chance to drop humanity

What level are you? I'll be glad to help you, but I'm SL95 with my character, that's probably too high :\
Thanks but I already killed the gargoyles with the help of Solar and rang the bell. I'm a lvl 22 Wanderer.

Is there any place or time where I am safe from invasion while in human form? Can't find anything at the Dark Souls wiki pages and I don't want to be killed again while being afk :/. Started to play the game yesterday and I can't stop :)

mxgt

Banned
Is there any place or time where I am safe from invasion while in human form? Can't find anything at the Dark Souls wiki pages and I don't want to be killed again while being afk :/. Started to play the game yesterday and I can't stop :)

Any area where you've killed the boss = safe from evil invaders!

Yeah, or wait until later in the game when you can 'sell' them.

The other item you can make is some gimmicky shield with a crystal attack but it's utter garbage for blocking anything.

M.D

Is there any place or time where I am safe from invasion while in human form? I don't want to be killed again while being afk :/. Started to play the game yesterday and I can't stop :)

If you're AFK, just quit the game from the game menu. You'll be back at exactly the same spot and state as you were when you quit.

You can also log off PSN/XBL, but you won't be able to summon other players unless you're online (You could still summon an NPC if he can be summoned for that fight)

I'm not sure if resting at a bonfire means you can't be invaded...

Any area where you've killed the boss = safe from evil invaders!

This is my third playthrough and I didn't realize this until now.

Now I know why I never get invaded in the burg while invading others.

Quick Question - If you're at the
forest covenant
, do you need to be at the forest to get summoned? I got summoned quite a few times while I was near the forest, but when I was at other places I never got summoned.

I wanted to do some PVP, so I joined
Darkwraiths
although I hate most of them lol

Invading in the burg only, and always keep it honorable, unless the other guy is being a dick. I like how they never expect me to bow :)
I wish there were some PVP mode in the game where you can select maps, or if you invade/invaded, you'll be in a smaller space. I hate when I invade I have go looking for the guy.
Sure it creates tension when you're invaded in the middle of the game, but most of those fights end up being shitty as you're not in an ideal place to fight.

That's why I like to invade the burg. %90 of the time the guy is waiting to be invaded.

ixix

If you're AFK, just quit the game from the game menu. You'll be back at exactly the same spot and state as you were when you quit.

You can also log off PSN/XBL, but you won't be able to summon other players unless you're online (You could still summon an NPC if he can be summoned for that fight)

I'm not sure if resting at a bonfire means you can't be invaded...

You can be invaded while resting at a bonfire. If you're resting and an invasion happens you'll automatically stand up and the bonfire will become inaccessible.

I once got invaded while I was in the middle of equipping spells. I was less than pleased.

I have a couple of questions which I'd be super happy if someone could help us out :)

1. Do Sunlight Medals carry across to NG+? I want to join the covenant but probably not until NG+ now, just wondering if I'll have to earn them all again. Or, if I join now, will the Covenant stay open when I start NG+?

2. A friend of mine was telling me it's possible to start NG+ with +7 flasks. Does that mean you have to collect 5 flasks throughout the game then kill two Firekeepers? That would put the fires out though.. ?

mxgt

Banned
1. Do Sunlight Medals carry across to NG+? I want to join the covenant but probably not until NG+ now, just wondering if I'll have to earn them all again. Or, if I join now, will the Covenant stay open when I start NG+?

They carry over. Everything does except embers, keys, the ring to the abyss and a few other items IIRC

2. A friend of mine was telling me it's possible to start NG+ with +7 flasks. Does that mean you have to collect 5 flasks throughout the game then kill two Firekeepers? That would put the fires out though.. ?

Pretty much. It's not like it matters if you kill the firekeepers to boost to +7 right before fighting the last boss with the intention of starting NG+. If you don't do the Lautrec event then I think the max you can get is +6 in the first playthrough, not sure though.

ixix

I have a couple of questions which I'd be super happy if someone could help us out :)

If the Sunlight Medals are in your inventory when you finish the game they'll carry over to NG+. With a few exceptions everything you're holding when the game ends comes with you. If you've turned the Sunlight Medals in at the altar and you're a Warrior of Sunlight when the game ends you'll still have credit for all turned-in medals when you begin NG+. If you leave the Warriors of Sunlight after turning in Sunlight Medals then rejoin it you'll retain credit for half the number of Medals you turned in. So if you join the Covenant, turn in 8 Medals, then leave the covenant by talking to Oswald, then rejoin the covenant you'll still have credit for turning in 4 medals.

You can't start NG+ with a +7 Flask to the best of my knowledge.
There are four "loose" Firekeeper souls and 3 Firekeepers in a single playthrough. If you collect all four souls then kill 2 Firekeepers to bring your flask to +6, then kill the final Firekeeper you'll have enough souls to upgrade to +7... but all the Firekeepers are dead so you can't complete the final upgrade until you reach Firelink and talk to Anastacia in NG+. It's close to starting with it, but technically it's not quite there. You'll have to go through the Asylum with a +6 at the least.

In practice it's quite easy to get 3 of the 4 loose Firekeeper Souls as soon as you start NG+, so if you get the 4 freebies in a single playthrough you can easily have a +7 incredibly early in NG+ without ever killing a Firekeeper.

Brilliant, thanks guys. It's been a while since I last played Dark Souls (apart from tonight) so I can't really remember where they are, will have to check the wiki (if I go the not killing fire keepers route).

1 in Parish
1 in Frametown
Can't think where the other one is. I am on +3

Anyway, I have just got to a new area, I think it's the "right" route to take. I last killed 4 Kings then went on a Dark Wraith farm and got 4 Titanite Slabs! I have now gone to a new area beyond Anor Lando, but it's name hasn't popped up yet. I just fought two Tusks and got to the Bonfire. My friend warned me of the upcoming boss... :) Can't wait to see what he or she is all about :)

mxgt

Banned
then went on a Dark Wraith farm and got 4 Titanite Slabs!

Please tell me you're confusing slabs with chunks! if not you're crazy lucky. I farmed those bastards for 2 hours and got no slabs. ;_;

You're starting Duke's Archives now. Awesome area, probably best in the latter part of the game.

Please tell me you're confusing slabs with chunks! if not you're crazy lucky. I farmed those bastards for 2 hours and got no slabs. ;_;

You're starting Duke's Archives now. Awesome area, probably best in the latter part of the game.

Slabs! Took five hours or so in total (mostly back in January). Played for 30mins tonight and one dropped. Just got lucky I guess!

Cool, look forward it!

Mxrz

Just how rare are slabs from Darkwratihs? Like pure bladestone level of rareness?

If you wearing the Cat ring, and are with the forest hunters, you can get summoned from anywhere. I generally do this when I'm farming stones.

Beat the 4Kings with witchy. I was going to use 'Power Within' but I forgot you can't use it with the curse-buff thing. Rushed them with the shotel and it surprisingly worked. Long as they don't do that big magic spell of theirs, they normal swings don't do much damage. I was surprised when I killed the 2nd one before the 3rd spawned.

20 Dex & 25 INT + Crystal Magic weapon on a +15 weapon is probably more damage than 40 Dex & a +15, right? Sort of sucks dex scaling is so bleh. I'm tempted to shelve this character and start a dedicated mage.

Just how rare are slabs from Darkwratihs? Like pure bladestone level of rareness?

If you wearing the Cat ring, and are with the forest hunters, you can get summoned from anywhere. I generally do this when I'm farming stones.

Beat the 4Kings with witchy. I was going to use 'Power Within' but I forgot you can't use it with the curse-buff thing. Rushed them with the shotel and it surprisingly worked. Long as they don't do that big magic spell of theirs, they normal swings don't do much damage. I was surprised when I killed the 2nd one before the 3rd spawned.

20 Dex & 25 INT + Crystal Magic weapon on a +15 weapon is probably more damage than 40 Dex & a +15, right? Sort of sucks dex scaling is so bleh. I'm tempted to shelve this character and start a dedicated mage.

They are pretty rare! Like I said, I spent around five hours to find the ones I got. Most of the time they don't drop anything, then they'll spit out Chunks and Dark Hands. I had about 50 Dark Hands at one point!

dosh

Not that rare, no. But experiences seem to vary a lot. I once landed 2 slab and tons of chunks going back and forth from Firelink to New Londo for a little over two hours. Three days later, I played under the exact same conditions (covetous gold serpent ring+17 humanities), and I painfully got three titanide chunks while being showered in Dark Hands.
You'll get one, eventually.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Is there a quicker way to get rid of the skeletons in the Catacombs for good than luring them near an edge and bashing them over? The frame rate goes into power point mode if one of them follows you over to an area where more are hanging out. :-\

Shit. So can anyone confirm that if you beat
Bed of Chaos
before you meet
Quelana of Izalith
that she won't appear at all? I hope I'm wrong. I need her to ascend my pyromancy.

Is there a quicker way to get rid of the skeletons in the Catacombs for good than luring them near an edge and bashing them over? The frame rate goes into power point mode if one of them follows you over to an area where more are hanging out. :-\

I'm going to assume that you already know about the
necromancers
right?
If not, you gotta find them and take them out to keep the skeletons from coming back indefinitely.

VICTORY ACHIEVED MY BROTHERS! Praise the sun! I just earned the platinum trophy! Umbasa! The real dark souls starts here!

Nice!

dosh

Shit. So can anyone confirm that if you beat
Bed of Chaos
before you meet
Quelana of Izalith
that she won't appear at all? I hope I'm wrong. I need her to ascend my pyromancy.

I made the same mistake on my second playthrough, and she never appeared.

necromancers
right?
If not, you gotta find them and take them out to keep the skeletons from coming back indefinitely.

That, or you can just use
a divine or occult weapon.

I'd still check her place in Blighttown. It's entirely possible I just lucked out.

Yeah, I'm going to, and I hope so. It'd be nice if there were at least one other person who could ascend pyromancy just in case, but from what I understand, she is the only one.

Speaking of Blighttown, if I'm going to be heading back to that goddamn place, I might look into The Great Hollow. Is it worth it? From what I understand it is entirely optional to go there, but I'd imagine there might be some cool gear or items or both there.

Deadstar

Yeah, I'm going to, and I hope so. It'd be nice if there were at least one other person who could ascend pyromancy just in case, but from what I understand, she is the only one.

Speaking of Blighttown, if I'm going to be heading back to that goddamn place, I might look into The Great Hollow. Is it worth it? From what I understand it is entirely optional to go there, but I'd imagine there might be some cool gear or items or both there.

I'd check it out. There is definitely some good stuff in there and a lot of crystal lizards. It's also one of the coolest looking places in the game.

Nowhere near, that damn Bladestone was like winning the lottery.

I've gotten two slabs farming Darkwraith NPCs in New Londo. Just kill 4K, then run through the area killing all of them with max Humanity and the Gold Serpent Ring equipped. Jump into the Abyss and warp out when all are dead and repeat.

The Great Hollow mostly has Crystal Lizards which are hard to kill due to the terrain, but it does have a couple of other nice things in it like (minor spoilers:)

Cloranthy Ring, and the path to Ash Lake that has a covenant, Dragon Greatsword and Great Magic Barrier (which is amazing if you have a Faith build).

I once got invaded while I was in the middle of equipping spells. I was less than pleased.

That's one of those times that I fully endorse Quit Game on their ass. It's really annoying when you're trying to organize or something and get blocked by some would-be ganker. As soon as you see the character stand up just Quit, reload and go back to what you were doing. XD

soultron

Banned
Sunbros, I need your guidance with crafting.

My scimitar is currently +5, but I got a new ember and some green titanite shards, which now means I have three options:

Go to +6
Go "raw"
Go divine

What do you guys think I should do? Is it worth it to level it past +6 before I go either raw or devine? I'm guessing devine means a hit in physical damage because it's also going to do devine damage. But what does going raw :)lol) do?

I have a tonnnnnne of crafting materials and I just want to get the best possible result.

For the first time(as far as I can remember anyway) I just found a
Very Large Ember, it was in New Londo
.....ok. So how is that different from
just a large
one?

Nevermind I found out what it's for.

Alucrid

Banned
How do I exit blighttown if I came from the depths? I don't think I can make it through the swamps to the waterwheel to go through the valley of drakes.

How do I exit blighttown if I came from the depths? I don't think I can make it through the swamps to the waterwheel to go through the valley of drakes.

I haven't figured to get out that way either. As for the swamp, you can hold circle/B to jog through it. I made it out the Valley of Drakes exit without any poison cure items or the rusted iron ring so it's definitely possible.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
necromancers
right?
Yeah I've been killing them, I guess I've just been hoping against hope that the game would stop throwing more shit on the screen than it can handle. I played Demon's Souls to completion and then halfway through NG+ and never ran into nearly as many technical problems.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Tomb of the giants =

cant-see-shit.jpg

Is there even a bonfire in this hellhole?

Tomb of the giants =

Yup, two that I know of. There's also an item you can get that will help you see down there, well, besides the
skull lantern
that is. I didn't find out about it until after I had beat TOTG. If you want to know what it is then click here.
It's an item you can get in Lost Izalith, which is past the Demon Ruins. It's called the sunlight maggot and apparently you wear it on your head and it lights up the surrounding area, allowing you to use you weapon and have your guard up at the same time.

Yeah I've been killing them, I guess I've just been hoping against hope that the game would stop throwing more shit on the screen than it can handle. I played Demon's Souls to completion and then halfway through NG+ and never ran into nearly as many technical problems.

The price we pay for one giant open world as opposed to having something like the nexus in Demon Soul's I suppose.

I personally didn't have many issues with the skeletons and frame rate, but I could see how if you had more than 3 or 4 following you and then went into a particular area of the catacombs, you might get some serious slowdown.

The Great Hollow mostly has Crystal Lizards which are hard to kill due to the terrain, but it does have a couple of other nice things in it like (minor spoilers:)

Cloranthy Ring, and the path to Ash Lake that has a covenant, Dragon Greatsword and Great Magic Barrier (which is amazing if you have a Faith build).

Good to know, thanks.

Sunbros, I need your guidance with crafting.

My scimitar is currently +5, but I got a new ember and some green titanite shards, which now means I have three options:

Go to +6
Go "raw"
Go divine

What do you guys think I should do? Is it worth it to level it past +6 before I go either raw or devine? I'm guessing devine means a hit in physical damage because it's also going to do devine damage. But what does going raw :)lol) do?

I have a tonnnnnne of crafting materials and I just want to get the best possible result.

Raw is the same as crating to +6 to +15, with an emphasis on less scaling and more base power. However, it's rubbish maxed out compared to a +15, so if you want that sort of thing just make the +6.

Divine makes weapons scale with the Faith stat and gives them Divine magical damage (aka the ability to perma-kill skeletons without having to gank the Necromancers first). Only good for a Faith build and even then a +15 or a Lightning/Fire is preferable because they do more damage (because the crafting system in this game is broken and kinda sucks).

Pretty much all you need to know with crafting is:

Are you a STR or DEX build who is going to hit 40 on either stat (or both)? +15.
Are you a hybrid build, a mage, or trying to be badass at lower levels? Lightning/Fire/Chaos +5.
Is it a boss/special weapon that uses Twinkling Titanite? +5.

Two of them. One you will find near an NPC when you proceed down the main path, and a second which is on a small winding road further in (past most of the skele-dogs, but before you see sunlight from Ash Lake).

soultron

Banned
Raw is the same as crating to +6 to +15, with an emphasis on less scaling and more base power. However, it's rubbish maxed out compared to a +15, so if you want that sort of thing just make the +6.

Divine makes weapons scale with the Faith stat and gives them Divine magical damage (aka the ability to perma-kill skeletons without having to gank the Necromancers first). Only good for a Faith build and even then a +15 or a Lightning/Fire is preferable because they do more damage (because the crafting system in this game is broken and kinda sucks).

Pretty much all you need to know with crafting is:

Are you a STR or DEX build who is going to hit 40 on either stat (or both)? +15.
Are you a hybrid build, a mage, or trying to be badass at lower levels? Lightning/Fire/Chaos +5.
Is it a boss/special weapon that uses Twinkling Titanite? +5.

Two of them. One you will find near an NPC when you proceed down the main path, and a second which is on a small winding road further in (past most of the skele-dogs, but before you see sunlight from Ash Lake).

I'm L40 right now with 30 DEX. I'll do the +15. Thanks for the helpful information! c:

Alucrid

Banned
I haven't figured to get out that way either. As for the swamp, you can hold circle/B to jog through it. I made it out the Valley of Drakes exit without any poison cure items or the rusted iron ring so it's definitely possible.

Exit??
LOL there is no exit. Either backtrack or be doomed forever.

Thanks. I was able to make it out without any problems.

Got the Eagle Shield and WOW. +5 Eagle Shield made the Sif fight waaaaaay easier. I mean, that's the reason why I stopped playing the game for a while. :lol

Anyways, beat that boss and then felt really bad as it limped around and fell on its side. :(

soultron

Banned
Wow, are you having trouble surviving? I didn't touch dex until I had 30 vitality and endurance.

Not really, no. Here are my current stats:

Level 40
VIT 17
ATT 11
END 20
STR 12
DEX 29
RES 15
INT 11
FAI 8

About to turn the game on and get another hit. This game is supes-addictive. I love it.

mxgt

Banned
Thanks. I was able to make it out without any problems.

Got the Eagle Shield and WOW. +5 Eagle Shield made the Sif fight waaaaaay easier. I mean, that's the reason why I stopped playing the game for a while. :lol

Anyways, beat that boss and then felt really bad as it limped around and fell on its side. :(

Eagle shield is a beast, I have one at +15 and it's amazing at blocking. Only thing I don't use it for is fights with a lot of fire damage and when I want to parry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom