• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

I'm still level 19 and I got some guy into my world who absolutely destroyed the gargoyle boss. I got 10k souls plus some 4k that I already had, and then I died :(

And then on my way back to collect it, I died again.. so now I lost those 14k souls right? Feels so horribly bad :(

Zertez

Dont worry to much about losing souls. At first losing 10k plus souls seems like a lot, but you can make them back quick as you progress. You can always co-op and help others beat the gargoyle boss. You get around 6k souls and a humanity each time you kill him. I was helping others kill them earlier and before I knew it, I had over 30k souls. This game gets better the more you play through it. This last time around I learned how useful fire bombs help early on. You can breeze through the first 4 or 5 levels with them.

If you have any points in int, you can probably use the light spell. I think you need around 14 int to use it. It helps a lot with TotG.

soultron

Banned
Got a pyro spell from a character I rescued but can't use it. It didn't look like it had faith or intelligence reqs.

Do I need a talisman or affect to cast it?

Leezard

Got a pyro spell from a character I rescued but can't use it. It didn't look like it had faith or intelligence reqs.

Do I need a talisman or affect to cast it?

You need the Pyromancer flame, which you got from the character you rescued. You equip it like a talisman.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I equipped it and my character puts whatever hand it's on out and then scratches his head. My thoughts exactly.

What Laurentius gave you was the Pyromancy Flame, which functions for Pyromancy the way Catalysts and Talismans function for Sorcery and Miracles, respectively. If you try to use the Flame without any Pyromancy equipped you get the confused reaction that you witnessed.

Laurentius gives you the Flame for free, but to actually cast anything with it you gotta pay. If you talk to him again he'll sell you a selection of Pyromancies that you can purchase then equip at a bonfire by selecting Attune Magic and slotting the spells into your Attunement slots. With a Pyromancy equipped in your active Attunement slot use the Flame again and watch the fireworks.

soultron

Banned
What Laurentius gave you was the Pyromancy Flame, which functions for Pyromancy the way Catalysts and Talismans function for Sorcery and Miracles, respectively. If you try to use the Flame without any Pyromancy equipped you get the confused reaction that you witnessed.

Laurentius gives you the Flame for free, but to actually cast anything with it you gotta pay. If you talk to him again he'll sell you a selection of Pyromancies that you can purchase then equip at a bonfire by selecting Attune Magic and slotting the spells into your Attunement slots. With a Pyromancy equipped in your active Attunement slot use the Flame again and watch the fireworks.

He gave me the crack but I need to buy my own needles?

Haha. Thanks for the info. I only have one attunement slot, IIRC, so it might not even be worth it.

Does this mean I can't have my sword or bow equipped when I want to use pyromancy? (I've never used any magic/miracles/talismans/catalysts/etc. before, so I'm not certain how it works just yet.)

ixix

Upgrading the flame and buying all the Pyromancies costs almost half a million souls. If you want to become a master Pyromancer you pretty much gotta put Laurentius' kids through college.

It is truly a devious scheme he has concocted.

AEGISX

Banned
Not really, no. Here are my current stats:

Level 40
VIT 17
ATT 11
END 20
STR 12
DEX 29
RES 15
INT 11
FAI 8

About to turn the game on and get another hit. This game is supes-addictive. I love it.
You don't want to put any points into res. it's a waste.

soultron

Banned
You don't want to put any points into res. it's a waste.

I haven't since the start of the game, IIRC. I find that most armour pieces have good enough resistances to certain effects. c:

I'd like to have better curse resistance, however. That shit sounds scary.

Also, I have a strange question. Does the Evil Eye Ring have any negative consequences? I just feel weird wearing it.

ixix

I haven't since the start of the game, IIRC. I find that most armour pieces have good enough resistances to certain effects. c:

Also, I have a strange question. Does the Evil Eye Ring have any negative consequences? I just feel weird wearing it.

There are, I think, all of two or three areas in the game with enemies that can Curse you, and one boss. If you've gotten the Ring of the Evil Eye then the most likely place to get cursed is already behind you. It's a nasty effect but it's actually exceedingly rare.

There aren't any negative effects to wearing the Ring of the Evil Eye. It just sounds nasty 'cuz Dark Souls is morbid like that.

Took my archer character through Catacombs and Tomb and suddenly I'm having all kinds of chunks available, so I farmed a bit more and upgraded weapons to max Fire and Occult. Now I just need Magic, Enchanted and Chaos. My sorcerer is already at +4 Enchanted, I just need a slab on her and one more character. I guess I need to find that one in the Crystal Caves.

Then I need the final sorceries (getting on the sorcerer once I get to Archives), the final miracles (I can get the rest on another character rather than on the one I have on NG+, right?) and then I'll cheese the rare weapon trophy by simply borrowing the stuff off a friend, if that works.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Took my archer character through Catacombs and Tomb and suddenly I'm having all kinds of chunks available, so I farmed a bit more and upgraded weapons to max Fire and Occult. Now I just need Magic, Enchanted and Chaos. My sorcerer is already at +4 Enchanted, I just need a slab on her and one more character. I guess I need to find that one in the Crystal Caves.

Then I need the final sorceries (getting on the sorcerer once I get to Archives), the final miracles (I can get the rest on another character rather than on the one I have on NG+, right?) and then I'll cheese the rare weapon trophy by simply borrowing the stuff off a friend, if that works.

Have fun getting that blue slab. You get of the markers just before the cave, you really need them.

Like Ixis said, it's pretty rare, but I think it might help to know this; if you do get cursed there are at least two people who sell cures. So yeah, it sucks, losing half your HP, and you can't become human again while cursed(thus can't summon peeps to your world), but it's not permanent or anything.

And armor can make a big difference. My friend and I were playing through around the same level, and when were both in one of the main areas where you can get cursed, his curse meter was longer than mine, and filled a lot slower.

2AdEPT

Like Ixis said, it's pretty rare, but I think it might help to know this; if you do get cursed there are at least two people who sell cures. So yeah, it sucks, losing half your HP, and you can't become human again while cursed(thus can't summon peeps to your world), but it's not permanent or anything.

And armor can make a big difference. My friend and I were playing through around the same level, and when were both in one of the main areas where you can get cursed, his curse meter was longer than mine, and filled a lot slower.

the best armour for curse early on is the all red set that's on the other side of the tree bridge in blighttown. I suggest doing a quick hoeward bone run to demon's ruins and geting the gold hemmed set though...its poisons nand fire is top notch, and it s curse and magic although less still gives enough to get by.

Arthrus

Throwing knives are also helpful for getting the blue slab. I keep all the ones I pick up in Anor Londo and take a homeward bone along (or the miracle, but I've never used miracles).

BTW, a strange thing happened to me with the Centipede Demon. I was merrily hacking away at his limb (when he's still standing in the lava) and suddenly I killed it, getting the Orange Charred Ring before the boss itself was dead. Is this normal?

Also, at that point, Solaire started running into the lava taking very minor damage and tanking the boss away from me, so I could wear him down with arrows. Very strange.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I returned to this game after a few months being put aside. Lvl 76, tomb of the giants, Nito owned me, i was not prepared for that fight at all. Seath owned me earlier, which was one reason i went to the totg. Should i focus on New lando? Im not sure where i should go for an easier and smooth ride to level up.

I returned to this game after a few months being put aside. Lvl 76, tomb of the giants, Nito owned me, i was not prepared for that fight at all. Seath owned me earlier, which was one reason i went to the totg. Should i focus on New lando? Im not sure where i should go for an easier and smooth ride to level up.

I'd say Seath is the easiest. You can practically just circle around it, 2H hit it until you run out of stamina and repeat.

In Nito fight just stay in the area you get dropped in so you don't have to deal with the big skeletons.

NLR is pretty short but it can be challenging.

BTW, a strange thing happened to me with the Centipede Demon. I was merrily hacking away at his limb (when he's still standing in the lava) and suddenly I killed it, getting the Orange Charred Ring before the boss itself was dead. Is this normal?
Yeah it is pretty much intended to happen.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Hell yes! I just beat Nito. I decided to kindle the last ToTG bonfire to +15 flasks and went for Nito. Got attacked by paladin leeroy hehe. Defeated him, and rushed past all the skeletons and floating thingies straight to Nito's room. Just had to slash away with the Queelag's +5 and drink flasks (had plenty). I guess i'll try Seath next.

rocK`

Banned
hey guys - I want to start this game up. Does anyone have a good guide / info on where I can go to start getting items that might make the start easier? I've heard about a drake sword, but I really don't know how to get it, etc.

dosh

There's especially one situation in which getting cursed becomes a nightmare:
getting smoked by the frogs at the absolute bottom of the Great Hollow on your first visit, while trying to go back up to Blighttown from the bonfire in Ash Lake, and not being able to warp because you don't have to Lordvessel yet
. That happened to me on my first playthrough, and it was a long, hard and painful journey back home.

Wowbagger

Keep your humanity stat at 30+ and you don't have to worry about it. Easier said than done, I know. With experience, and some Rings of Sacrifice, you'll eventually be able to keep the stat at 99 at all times, though.

I'd say Seath is the easiest. You can practically just circle around it, 2H hit it until you run out of stamina and repeat.

Don't you risk getting hit by his tail doing that? I've lost count of how many phantoms have died trying to cut off the tail for me after I've tried to get across I have no interest in it by hacking away at his stomach. His tail attack hits really hard.

I prefer staying in front of him at all times when not interested in the sword. You can just keep hacking away at his stomach while he does the half circle crystal attack, but back away when he is about to do the large area one.

In Nito fight just stay in the area you get dropped in so you don't have to deal with the big skeletons.

And don't forget that Nito is a necromancer. Use a divine weapon to permanently kill the normal-sized skeletons that rush you at the start of the fight, while you wait for Nito to close the distance.

Booshka

Keep your humanity stat at 30+ and you don't have to worry about it. Easier said than done, I know. With experience, and some Rings of Sacrifice, you'll eventually be able to keep the stat at 99 at all times, though.

Don't you risk getting hit by his tail doing that? I've lost count of how many phantoms have died trying to cut off the tail for me after I've tried to get across I have no interest in it by hacking away at his stomach. His tail attack hits really hard.

I prefer staying in front of him at all times when not interested in the sword. You can just keep hacking away at his stomach while he does the half circle crystal attack, but back away when he is about to do the large area one.

And don't forget that Nito is a necromancer. Use a divine weapon to permanently kill the normal-sized skeletons that rush you at the start of the fight, while you wait for Nito to close the distance.

Yep, I just attack Seath's gut, it does more damage as well, so you can get the fight over with quicker, just gotta watch out for his huge AOE he'll do if you stay at his stomach for too long.

The thing is to stay so that you are behind the first leg and make sure that Seath is slowly turning all the time. If he decides to do a faster turn/attack, back off and start from the top. Dunno, works for me.

Alucrid

Banned
So what's a good place to lay down my summoning sign to farm down the req for the warrior of sunlight covenant? I've only just rung the second bell.

2AdEPT

So what's a good place to lay down my summoning sign to farm down the req for the warrior of sunlight covenant? I've only just rung the second bell.

solaire counts as a sunbro so I would hope he gets summoned with you on gaping....depending on the soul level you ar at gargoyles would be abother option....if your too high then go to centipede.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
hey guys - I want to start this game up. Does anyone have a good guide / info on where I can go to start getting items that might make the start easier? I've heard about a drake sword, but I really don't know how to get it, etc.
When you're under the bridge the drake is attempting to roast you on, you can shoot arrows at it from the right side until you get the sword (it just pops up and you have it in your inventory).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I haven't played this since before the big patch. Think I'm at the bonfire just before Demon Firesage. I'd like to get back to it, but I'll be damned if I remember anything about the game. I'd have to relearn everything. :lol

MechaX

Oh man, the lag on some of these PvP players is absolutely ridiculous. This one player in Anor Londo using Gwyn's gear for some reason was literally teleporting from one spot to the next like he was a Dragon Ball Z character. Managed to kill him with spells (since I damn sure couldn't catch him with weapons).

But it's kinda disappointing; high level Darkmoon play has been almost nonexistent so far.

But something more interesting just happened. I decided to invade in the forest (bad idea, I know). And as soon as I get in, I see two other people barreling towards me. I think "Oh lord, gankers." But both of the guys are literally running from this Darkmoon member (or he could have been a forest covenant guy who was about to get double teamed) who was spamming the shit out of WotG. It was funny because I have never, ever actually seen a 2v2 before, so I helped out the Darkmoon guy instead of turning it into a 3v1 for him.

There's especially one situation in which getting cursed becomes a nightmare:
getting smoked by the frogs at the absolute bottom of the Great Hollow on your first visit, while trying to go back up to Blighttown from the bonfire in Ash Lake, and not being able to warp because you don't have to Lordvessel yet
. That happened to me on my first playthrough, and it was a long, hard and painful journey back home.

Yeah that sounds shitty. My experience was that I became cursed, and was under the impression that only
the female undead merchant, and the dude in the red robes in New Londo
were the ones I could get purging stones from. I had
accidently pissed off the female merchant, and didn't have any transient curses....as my next destination was blighttown(second bell), I then proceeded to not play the game for months. After looking at the wiki I then found out about Oswald, and all was well.

Oh man, the lag on some of these PvP players is absolutely ridiculous. This one player in Anor Londo using Gwyn's gear for some reason was literally teleporting from one spot to the next like he was a Dragon Ball Z character. Managed to kill him with spells (since I damn sure couldn't catch him with weapons).

But it's kinda disappointing; high level Darkmoon play has been almost nonexistent so far.

I had a similar experience fighting at the
landing when you first enter The Kiln of the First Flame. I fought the same gravelord 3 times in a row, and he was teleporting(lag) quite a bit, into my favorite where he looks like he's in front of you, but then in the next second he is backstabbing me, and I'm dead.

Mxrz

I hate farming baby skeletons. Feels like more humanity poofs than gets picked up. Are the rats the only other option?

I tried for some jolly co-op today, but didn't get much at this level. The few summons I had were weird. Iron Golem fight with the grenade golem still active, some guy who msg'd me "Can I have your stuff?" and the like.

Should level up, but not too sure what I want to do with it. Was going to do 40 dex and stop, but meh. Almost seems pointless without any buff spell. I'd go mage, but all that's left is Nito and Seath, and I've not much interest in another NG+.

Interested in starting a pure mage, but aren't spells mostly limited up until Dukes /Big Hat?

Akainu

Has anyone been hit with acid surge? I've been trying to use it but I'm not sure if it's working. Does it pretty much destroy a person weapon/equipment?

MechaX

Holy shit, gankers really camp at the Forest Covenant entrance something fierce. Tried invading twice, and it was literally three guys with lightning weapons just hanging out at the steps where invaders usually spawn both times.

maomaoIYP

But something more interesting just happened. I decided to invade in the forest (bad idea, I know). And as soon as I get in, I see two other people barreling towards me. I think "Oh lord, gankers." But both of the guys are literally running from this Darkmoon member (or he could have been a forest covenant guy who was about to get double teamed) who was spamming the shit out of WotG. It was funny because I have never, ever actually seen a 2v2 before, so I helped out the Darkmoon guy instead of turning it into a 3v1 for him.

You got lucky man, what's been in fashion recently is the host getting a friend to come in as a friendly phantom to help, then getting another friend to invade as a forest/darkwraith to help him and prevent it from becoming a 2v2.

When I see things like that and I'm a darkwraith, I just flat out roll off the cliff. No bloodstain = nothing for the host.

Mike M

Nick N
I hate farming baby skeletons. Feels like more humanity poofs than gets picked up. Are the rats the only other option?

The octopus-headed things clustered outside Logan's cell in the Archives have a better drop rate than rats (maybe even baby skeletons). Plus they're relatively passive and clustered in one spot for easy pyromancy dispatching.

Downside is that it's kind of a pain to get there, and running up and down the stairs to the nearest bonfire is time consuming, even with Homeward.

solaire counts as a sunbro so I would hope he gets summoned with you on gaping....depending on the soul level you ar at gargoyles would be abother option....if your too high then go to centipede.

i think he means to reduce the faith required to join the covenant, in which case anywhere he can get co-op will do. of/c if solaire is summoned and he gets medals that's a nice bonus :)

Interested in starting a pure mage, but aren't spells mostly limited up until Dukes /Big Hat?

Nope, you'll be tearing shit up well before reaching dukes. Early on
grab the dusk crown and bellowing dragoncrest ring
for a hefty damage boost. Plus you can start making magic weapons as soon as you find some green titanite.

Akainu

Holy shit, gankers really camp at the Forest Covenant entrance something fierce. Tried invading twice, and it was literally three guys with lightning weapons just hanging out at the steps where invaders usually spawn both times.
The most I've ever gotten are two. Sometimes if I'm real awesome I take them both out. Kind of kills the fun though but, when my black knight sword powers through their defenses and destroys fools. It feels really good.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Have fun getting that blue slab. You get of the markers just before the cave, you really need them.
Like with most of the game, you have to be super patient and not at all stingy with your resources.

I tried going for it for the first time the other day, and ended up using 15 of the 20 Prism Stones you pick up in the Archives.

There were times when I thought I had the path figured and would have just gone for it, but managed to stop myself, drop another Prism stone, and watch it fall to its crystally end (instead of me). Just take it slow, and make sure you play online so you have the additional bonus of messages.

soultron

Banned
SUNBROS!

May I cross-post a grossly-scrubby posting for thou to feast thine hungry eyes upon?

BEHOLD:

Games enthusiast press is beyond stupid. [In response to someone quoting a gaming journalist comparing Dark Souls to Symphony of the Night, in a thread proclaiming Dark Souls as excellent as the NES Zelda games, no less. -soultron]

The only thing Dark/Demons souls bares a resemblance to are shitty Roguikes of years past. Those games were niche for a reason, because they're terrible.

Being unbalanced, brutal, cheap and forcing players into grindy, trial and error based gameplay is a broken model that was abandoned for good reason.

Just say no to the blight that is Demons Souls.

I just thought you guys would find this funny. It's not a call to arms or anything dumb like that. To each their own, but damn...

I think Dark Souls would only be trial and error if the player goes in on a complete blackout AND plays recklessly.

Personally I would have any new player go over a few of the mechanics pages on the wiki. Basic stuff like backstabs/parries, uses for humanity, character/weapon stats, the process to equip and cast a spell, etc... should be given knowledge. I feel like the game is a bit too stingy with basic mechanical information - an in-game codex for controls, combat techniques, etc... would have been useful. The intro stage is an overload of information with only the plunging attack (of all things) being specifically highlighted in gameplay. I'd bet that if the game required the player to perform even single backstab, many players' early game woes would disappear.

That said, if a player is aware of most of these things, their chances should be pretty good. I guess I would just be interested to see if the game would still be considered to be so difficult by the masses if the mechanics were clearer.

soultron

Banned
You're right. I feel that the audience DS appeals to is one that's well-informed and knows how to reference the existing community and/or wikis, however.

Had this game been released in the age before internets, it'd be infuriating.

mxgt

Banned
SUNBROS!

May I cross-post a grossly-scrubby posting for thou to feast thine hungry eyes upon?

BEHOLD:

I just thought you guys would find this funny. It's not a call to arms or anything dumb like that. To each their own, but damn...

Sounds like he's pretty bad at games

I don't even consider Dark Souls to be that difficult and I'm hardly a vidya game master. If you take your time, are patient and are able to realise and learn from mistakes then the game is pretty easy.

Too many people want to rush in, mash shit and win ala Assassin's Creed and that's why this series will never be as popular as it should be.

I think Dark Souls would only be trial and error if the player goes in on a complete blackout AND plays recklessly.

Personally I would have any new player go over a few of the mechanics pages on the wiki. Basic stuff like backstabs/parries, uses for humanity, character/weapon stats, the process to equip and cast a spell, etc... should be given knowledge. I feel like the game is a bit too stingy with basic mechanical information - an in-game codex for controls, combat techniques, etc... would have been useful. The intro stage is an overload of information with only the plunging attack (of all things) being specifically highlighted in gameplay. I'd bet that if the game required the player to perform even single backstab, many players' early game woes would disappear.

That said, if a player is aware of most of these things, their chances should be pretty good. I guess I would just be interested to see if the game would still be considered to be so difficult by the masses if the mechanics were clearer.

Heh, this reminds me how I pretty much did not know how to backstab until I was in Kiln. I had done it by accident multiple times but that's when I learned to do them every time. Every other bit was explained in the loading screens for me which was nice.

And I agree with the difficulty, it has a rather long and steep difficulty curve, but if you get to Anor Londo boss alive then the difficulty settles down a lot. I'd say Sen's Fortress is the single hardest place depending on your equipment because that's the point where the weapons you start with (also including Drake Sword) get old.

Soulhouf

A weird invasion encounter happened to me last night.
I am in NG+5, SL120 character playing with a friend. At that level your constantly being invaded while you try to progress into the level, besides enemies hit really hard.
So I think it's fair to kill the invaders 2VS1 at that point right?
Anyway, we were invaded 3 times in a row by this dark wraith BP. He was putting a giant set with mask of the mother, flipping around and seemed to be having stats much higher than someone you would expect in that level: WotG hit really hard and he was 1H wielding Smough's Hammer (which means he has at least 58 str).
It was kind of suspicious to me but the best part is that my friend wasn't able to see him and the game never notified us of his invasion.
My buffed Demon Great machete barely took 1/10 of his health.
Is the PS3 version also victim to these asshole cheaters now?

dosh

Heh, this reminds me how I pretty much did not know how to backstab until I was in Kiln. I had done it by accident multiple times but that's when I learned to do them every time. Every other bit was explained in the loading screens for me which was nice.

And I agree with the difficulty, it has a rather long and steep difficulty curve, but if you get to Anor Londo boss alive then the difficulty settles down a lot. I'd say Sen's Fortress is the single hardest place depending on your equipment because that's the point where the weapons you start with (also including Drake Sword) get old.

I love how things suddenly get WAY harder when you reach Sen's Fortress, basically telling the player that everytime he feels strong enough to take on the whole world, well he really isn't.
But at the same time, it offers you your first lightning weapon, a taste of the kind of power you'll eventually get your hands on later in the game.
I felt that the "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT DARK SOULS?! -> Getting crushed all over again -> TOTAL DESPAIR -> glimpse of hope" combo was very nicely done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom