• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still level 19 and I got some guy into my world who absolutely destroyed the gargoyle boss. I got 10k souls plus some 4k that I already had, and then I died :(

And then on my way back to collect it, I died again.. so now I lost those 14k souls right? Feels so horribly bad :(

Lost 500k with 8 humanity yesterday. Feels bad man.

What are the Crystal Butterflies in the Crystal Cave weak to? I've tried arrows and soul arrow, but neither registered a hit. Couldn't get close enough to hit with Pyromancy.

Just beat Seath the Scaleless first try, either I was very lucky, or one of the easiest bosses?

dosh

What are the Crystal Butterflies in the Crystal Cave weak to? I've tried arrows and soul arrow, but neither registered a hit. Couldn't get close enough to hit with Pyromancy.

Just beat Seath the Scaleless first try, either I was very lucky, or one of the easiest bosses?

They hate fire. Two of them can be hit with pyro if your walk very slowly towards them. Are you trying to get another blue slab? (if that's the case, don't waste too much time there, the drop rate is terrible)

Seath battle is not that hard, but it can become quite infuriating if you got for its tail :)

I found Sen's Fortress pretty easy first time around.

It's pretty much a one big combat puzzle. You can get rid of most enemies with traps in the level and it's more about teaching you finesse with your movement than throwing monsters at you. And getting Lighting Spear doesn't hurt either.

One tricky part was figuring out the somewhat hidden bonfire.

It's pretty much a one big combat puzzle. You can get rid of most enemies with traps in the level and it's more about teaching you finesse with your movement than throwing monsters at you. And getting Lighting Spear doesn't hurt either.

One tricky part was figuring out the somewhat hidden bonfire.

I think the first 2 (3?) snake guards at the entrance nearly made me quit the game...the rest of the fortress didn't help my "patience" level at all.

dosh

It's mostly very intimidating. The location, the huge gate, everything you had to do to open it...
And as soon as I finally set foot in the Fortess itself for the first time, the spear trap hit me, and the first two snakes nearly tore me apart. As I miraculously managed to get to the next room, I made a stupid movement trying to dodge a Mage Snake spell, one of the pendulums struck me and I fell to my death. The last thing I saw was a Titanide Demon slowly crawling towards me.
That made me very cautious during my following attempts :)

RaginRoss

Ready to fight Gwyn for the first time as soon as I get home from work tonight.

Killed everything else in the game, used up all my soul items to level up all my equipment and SL and got the Estus Flask up to +6.

Going in with a full set of Ornstein armour, fully upgraded Furysword, Eagle Shield and Pyro Glove. I've got a few humanity items left so i'll be sure to use those also to get the damage boost on the Furysword.

Hopefully he's not too bad.

Zertez

I hate farming baby skeletons. Feels like more humanity poofs than gets picked up. Are the rats the only other option?

Interested in starting a pure mage, but aren't spells mostly limited up until Dukes /Big Hat?
Baby skeletons are the fastest way to get humanity, once you get it down. I found fighting them on the ramp easier than standing in the pit. First you run around the pit to get a train of them, then get a group of them lined up and kill them in one swing with a spear. Standing in the pit you have to worry too much about the humanity disappearing.

Mage spells in general are pretty limited. Pyromancer has more of a variety and balance of spells to fit different situations. Soul arrows and spears are pretty similar, both are magic bolt type spells. You get several kinds of soul arrows after finding Griggs, then you find Big Hat in Sens, and he opens up a few more options. Spells at Dukes are just high level versions of existing spells, outside of Winters. Pure mage builds do well, but it can get boring after awhile. Even when I play my mage build, I find myself using melee weapons a lot to break up the boredom.

McHuj

I think if I had to pick a "Game of the Generation", Dark Souls would be it.

I have not played a game since Baldur's Gate that has kept me up late into the night for two months now. I'm at the last boss now and about 65 hours in. I'm just trying to kindle all my bonfires now for NG+.

Looking back on it, I almost quit several times, but I'm glad I really stuck with it. I think the toughest parts for me were:

1. Early in the game, Getting from the bonfire at the undead burg to the undead parish bonfire
2. Capra Demon Boss - I had to grind here for a while until I could kill the dogs with one hit
3. Tomb of the Giants - I really hate this level due to the limited sight.

Dyno

Dukes Archive is another great looking place! I think the Sens Fortress/Anor Londo/Dukes Archive is my favourite run in the game thus far.

I think I've also found my sweet spot when it comes to equipment. I can equip Black Knight Sword, Havel's Shield, the full Ornstein Set, with Havel's Ring and a Ring of Favour. I'm at half encumbrance with that load-out so I can roll.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I think if I had to pick a "Game of the Generation", Dark Souls would be it.

I have not played a game since Baldur's Gate that has kept me up late into the night for two months now. I'm at the last boss now and about 65 hours in. I'm just trying to kindle all my bonfires now for NG+.

Looking back on it, I almost quit several times, but I'm glad I really stuck with it. I think the toughest parts for me were:

1. Early in the game, Getting from the bonfire at the undead burg to the undead parish bonfire
2. Capra Demon Boss - I had to grind here for a while until I could kill the dogs with one hit
3. Tomb of the Giants - I really hate this level due to the limited sight.

Im there now and its not the darkness that bothers me, since i have that lantern item (some shrunken head) that i hold in my left hand and it lights up the area when i hit L1. My issue is me ending up in spots where im gang attacked by 2-3 giant skeletons and i have no room/time to defend myself and i die. I still havent found the 1st bonfire in this area, but i think i know where it is now. It wont be so bad once i hit the bonfire and dont have to retread so much ground to get back to where i was.

The area just before Seath is great for farming Twinkling Titanite, I only had 1 humanity, but the clams are consistently dropping 3 or 4 per run through, with the bonfire so close it seems made for farming, gonna stay here for a little while before warping so I can put them to good use.

Damn, I killed the Gaping Dragon on my first try and missed to get the King Dragon's Great Axe :/
Will most likely go for NG+ and try to get my first ever Platinum with this game, so fun.

Can anyone help me out with Gwyn? The dude keeps handing me my ass. I'm not sure if I got sloppy or if he's just that brutal on NG++. On the plus side I have about 25 titanite chunks now.

PS3 SL 165

M.D

Can anyone help me out with Gwyn? The dude keeps handing me my ass. I'm not sure if I got sloppy or if he's just that brutal on NG++. On the plus side I have about 25 titanite chunks now.

PS3 SL 165

I could help you, but only tomorrow :/

Can a SL136 co-op with your level?

I've killed about 4 merchants from agro'ing them trying to steal humanity with the dark hand, trying to kick them first to make them stand up, but normal attack coming out instead. Oops! I did buy all the spells/pyro before I did it and my pyro glove is 15+ - I think the only item I don't remember seeing anywhere other than one of the NPCs I've murdered is the talisman things, but never used them so...

Just hanging around in Blighttown now on my way to do the Great Hollow, and it reminds me how much I like it down there, I think this was the area I was in when the game really clicked with me. There's no way it's anywhere near as bad as 5-2 in Demon's. Throwing knives for the mosquitos and everything else is fine.

Mike M

Nick N
Gwyn is the first boss to give me trouble >: (

Solaire's summon was nowhere to be found despite my talking to him in Izalith, so he's no help. Seems like the entire battle is dependent on parrying his attacks, which I'm terrible at.

Shit.

dosh

Solaire's summon was nowhere to be found despite my talking to him in Izalith, so he's no help. Seems like the entire battle is dependent on parrying his attacks, which I'm terrible at.

It's a good time to learn: you have five knights before the boss room to train, and parrying is something you'll carry over in pvp.
The timing is really not that hard to get, and the sweet sound of a successful parry is a reward in itself :)

M.D

Shit.

I think you weren't supposed to talk to him in Izle after the Centipede Demon fight, unless you went from the shortcut and saved him without ever fighting Centipede Demon.

If you talked to him, he would appear at the same spot where you can save him if you came from the shortcut, only know he's gone mad with a Sunlight Maggot on his head.

I don't remember having much trouble with Gwyn. Just hide behind those rocks. I didn't use parry at all.

Are you on PS3? What SL are you? I could probably help you tomorrow, if you'd like.

It's a good time to learn: you have five knights before the boss room to train, and parrying is something you'll carry over in pvp.
The timing is really not that hard to get, and the sweet sound of a successful parry is a reward in itself :)

Parrying is is a risk-reward thing.
It will probably make the fight extremely easy, but if you're not really good... one hit is all that it takes to make you lose.

Mike M

Nick N
Beat him. Just ran away and dodged like crazy and chugged estus flasks (Which would usually get interrupted and accomplish nothing.). Got my hits in after whiffed grabs and leaping slashes and wore him down slowly.

Next build, I'm pumping more levels into vitality...

Beat him. Just ran away and dodged like crazy and chugged estus flasks (Which would usually get interrupted and accomplish nothing.). Got my hits in after whiffed grabs and leaping slashes and wore him down slowly.

Next build, I'm pumping more levels into vitality...

There was another cheap way found to beat him other than parrying him.
Great Combustion will hit him & cause him to immediately side jump & you can repeat this non-stop until he dies.

Mxrz

SUNBROS!
May I cross-post a grossly-scrubby posting for thou to feast thine hungry eyes upon?

I cringe a little when I see another Dark Souls thread. I don't know what it is exactly, but they tend to end up depressing or infuriating in some manner. I liked the world better when people didn't really talk about From's games, or at least played them for more than half a day before proclaiming to be an expert about the games, the company, and the industry in general.

I shelved my other character and started a pure mage. Then I took a look at the Sorcerer's starting stats, did some quick arithmetic, and picked Hunter. I'm guessing From thought starting with high INT/Atn made up for being subpar in everything else.

I just did a near perfect run Kiln -> Gwyn -> NG++ -> Asylum Demon -> Firelink -> Undead Burg -> Havel -> Sif -> Gargoyles -> NLR -> Blighttown -> Quelaag -> Firelink -> Sen's Fortress -> Anor Londo -> Giant Blacksmith.

Then I noticed that I don't have a Greatsword with +10 to make the Cursed Sword Of Astoria with me. I was 100% sure I had one but I guess not. Dang. So close to that trophy. Gotta go back to Depths to get the ember... Tried beating Orstein and Smough and it was super easy, then I got sloppy and Smough 1 hit killed me with the lightning attack with no health left o_o

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I shelved my other character and started a pure mage. Then I took a look at the Sorcerer's starting stats, did some quick arithmetic, and picked Hunter. I'm guessing From thought starting with high INT/Atn made up for being subpar in everything else.

Sorcerer's a good starting class if you're taking Intelligence all the way to 50 and planning on using your spells as your primary offense. Something like Str/Dex of 10/12 for the Rapier and Dragon/Grass/Crest Shield, then 50 Int, and 40/40 Vit/End is best on a Sorcerer. I think if you roll with that spread but take 16 Str for the Moonlight Greatsword it's tied with Pyromancer, and if you aim for 20 Dex for Ricard's Rapier it's tied with Wanderer, but it's always at least tied for first place so long as you're going Int-heavy.

It's similarly either the best or tied for best starting class if you plan on stopping at 25 or 31 Int for CMW or full-power Soulmass spells.

It's never a bad choice if you're planning on rolling with Sorcery, really.

Never got Great Combustion on account my I agrroed the vendor, and she was dead by the time I absolved my sins : (

You say "she was dead" as though you were not in any way responsible for her demise. How suspicious.

Just spent ages going round in circles in the Dukes Archives looking for the lift back up to where
you first meet Seath, to kill Big Hat Logan
- Even though I went past the lever countless times, I had to look it up on YT, then I saw the lever from the floor above, grrrrr!

There was another cheap way found to beat him other than parrying him.
Great Combustion will hit him & cause him to immediately side jump & you can repeat this non-stop until he dies.
I'm taking note of this for future reference!

Mike M

Nick N
You say "she was dead" as though you were not in any way responsible for her demise. How suspicious.

She was alive when I left, just pissed off at me (I was fighting one of the boulder guys, and hit her with the killing blow). Consensus was that she probably stepped in the water and got poisoned.

Totally screwed over my pyromancer build : /

Mxrz

It's never a bad choice if you're planning on rolling with Sorcery, really.

The way I was looking at it I'd have to raise the non-INT attributes more for requirements & breakpoints than I would have to raise Int & Atn on the Hunter. This last character has me addicted to staying as low as possible.

Playing with the calculator, it looks like I could have the same build at SL60 with both Hunter & Sorcerer, but with 3 more points in res as a Hunter. I'm not entirely sure what weapons i want to use yet, so I just plugged in 16 STR & Dex for the Moonlight great sword and Velka's.

Guh. Now I'm confused about what I want to do. 50 INT for all the spells. Dex/Str for weapons reqs, and maybe some END/Vit, maybe. I don't really want to reroll at this point. I already blitzed the bells lastnight.

It was kind of suspicious to me but the best part is that my friend wasn't able to see him and the game never notified us of his invasion.

I had this happen to my friend and I multiple times the other day....he could not see the phantom when in my world and I could not see the phantom when I was in his world multiple time....anybody have any idea if this is something that's happened a lot in the past?

Alucrid

Banned
depends on your level. see this chart: http://www.abload.de/img/darksouls-co-opguidep163z.jpg

find the place in your level range and try there. from personal experience Sens fortress is pretty quiet but anor londo (esp. the second bonfire) is usually busy.

solaire counts as a sunbro so I would hope he gets summoned with you on gaping....depending on the soul level you ar at gargoyles would be abother option....if your too high then go to centipede.

Thanks. Seemed that I over-leveled a bit :lol

She was alive when I left, just pissed off at me (I was fighting one of the boulder guys, and hit her with the killing blow). Consensus was that she probably stepped in the water and got poisoned.

Totally screwed over my pyromancer build : /

Which vendor are you referring to? I was having an issue with pyromancy and leveling it up lately, during which I found out that
you could go to Queelan or Quelana for pyromancy
I believe.

Mike M

Nick N
Which vendor are you referring to? I was having an issue with pyromancy and leveling it up lately, during which I found out that
you could go to Queelan or Quelana for pyromancy
I believe.

Quelana.
I think
Queelan
can, but only if you have the
Old Witch's Ring
, which I didn't, and I think is only obtainable by trading an item that only drops once per playthrough that I'd rather keep.

No matter, I'm on NG+ now and can make a beeline to the swamp.

ixix

The way I was looking at it I'd have to raise the non-INT attributes more for requirements & breakpoints than I would have to raise Int & Atn on the Hunter. This last character has me addicted to staying as low as possible.

Playing with the calculator, it looks like I could have the same build at SL60 with both Hunter & Sorcerer, but with 3 more points in res as a Hunter. I'm not entirely sure what weapons i want to use yet, so I just plugged in 16 STR & Dex for the Moonlight great sword and Velka's.

Guh. Now I'm confused about what I want to do. 50 INT for all the spells. Dex/Str for weapons reqs, and maybe some END/Vit, maybe. I don't really want to reroll at this point. I already blitzed the bells lastnight.

If you take Strength to 16 you'll be able to use the Moonlight Greatsword as well as one-hand Avelyn. I've never liked Velka's Rapier, personally. I've always been better served with a Chaos Rapier or Estoc. Lower stat requirements, better damage, and diversifies your damage sources so you're not all magic damage, all the time. If you're going Dex you're best off going all the way and taking it to 20 for Ricard's Rapier and its crazy synergy with weapon enchantments. Velka's is kind of an unpleasant middle ground.

I'm not having any luck finding a build where Hunter has any sort of advantage in an Int-heavy build at SL60. Sorcerer, Wanderer, and Pyromancer are pretty much always the top of the heap at 50 Int according to the class comparison calculator.

Canova

Banned
Any of you plan to play Demon's Souls in the last month of the North American servers?

Any new Souls fan here never played Demon's Souls?

Mxrz

Oof. Maybe I borked the stats and should reroll since I only have 90 mins on it. Might look into this bottomless box stuff.

The hardest part of Dark Souls is that street that leads to the Capra Demon in lower Undead Burg. The Capra fight is also a nice "Screw yall" moment for anyone without a good weapon. Just beat it doing a Benny Hill-esque skit running up the stairs, dropping off and poking the demon in the ass before running past it on the stairs.

I've thought of making a new Demon's Souls character before the server plops. I went on last night and couldn't get an invasion at sl 60 anywhere other than 4-1.

ixix

Oof. Maybe I will reroll. Might look into this bottomless box stuff. All that comes over are items, right?

The hardest part of Dark Souls is that street that leads to the Capra Demon in lower Undead Burg. The Capra fight is also a nice "Screw yall" moment for anyone without a good weapon. Just beat it doing a Benny Hill-esque skit running up the stairs, dropping off and poking the demon in the ass before running past it on the stairs.

If it makes you feel better I once abandoned a character for no other reason than I had chosen an average build at character creation and wanted to use the Brass Armor, which looks terrible on non-slim builds. That was about 75% of the way through the game.

If you want something a bit more specific to work toward, this is essentially the refined, SL120-optimized version of the Intelligence build that I earned the platinum trophy with. Lots of magic, can use a Fire or Chaos Claymore through
Duke's Archive
before switching to the Moonlight Greatsword with the Avelyn as a fallback weapon for enemies with high resistance to magic. It served me well through about NG+++++.

I've never used the BB glitch, but to the best of my understanding yes, items are the only thing that carries over.

Mike M

Nick N
Any of you plan to play Demon's Souls in the last month of the North American servers?

Demon's Souls was on my wish list for when I got around to getting a PS3, but that's not happening.

Does Dark Souls have dedicated servers at risk of eventual shut down, or did they implement it differently?

RyanDG

Yeah - I'm starting up a new run in Demon's Souls before the servers go down. I'm also planning on breaking out my old backstabbing ninja thief character for some invading in 3-1.

Canova

Banned
Demon's Souls was on my wish list for when I got around to getting a PS3, but that's not happening.

Does Dark Souls have dedicated servers at risk of eventual shut down, or did they implement it differently?

Dark Souls online will live forever, it's mostly P2P

Yeah - I'm starting up a new run in Demon's Souls before the servers go down. I'm also planning on breaking out my old backstabbing ninja thief character for some invading in 3-1.

I'm gonna start new game early May

Did The Catacombs and Demon Ruins up to the fog door - From the easiest boss Pinwheel to probably the hardest so far - Ceaseless Discharge - he is a bitch! I had huge problems rolling out of the way of his attacks, had all my best fire defense stuff on inc. some of the Gold Hemmed, AND Flashsweat and still ran out of Estus, thought I was done for!

The Catacombs is a pretty big area. Made a divine Utchigatana for the skeletons and didn't really have any trouble except the bonewheel skeletons, urgh! One at a time is no problem, but any more and it can lead to a very quick death. At one point, after killing them all once, then using a bonfire, I was on the ledge with the item, had 4 of them underneath, I had to wait for each one to de-aggro so I could hit them with an arrow, then wait again. I hate those fuckers, and have to deal with them again to do Tomb of Giants.

Mxrz

The bottemless box stuff looked like too much trouble for a few humanity / upgrades. Rerolled. Up to Gargoyles. This time I went past the Estoc and grabbed the fire keeper soul in New Londo too. Then I grabbed the sword & shield in the valley of the dragons, and the crest shield while running to Andre. That seems to be about all the easy to get early stuff. I don't recall anything good in the top of blighttown or the catacombs.

But is there any quick way to level up before the forest hunter npcs? Usually after the gargoyles I'm 10k or so short of the crest. Maybe I should rewatch the speed runs.

Mike M

Nick N
The bottemless box stuff looked like too much trouble for a few humanity / upgrades. Rerolled. Up to Gargoyles. This time I went past the Estoc and grabbed the fire keeper soul in New Londo too. Then I grabbed the sword & shield in the valley of the dragons, and the crest shield while running to Andre. That seems to be about all the easy to get early stuff. I don't recall anything good in the top of blighttown or the catacombs.

But is there any quick way to level up before the forest hunter npcs? Usually after the gargoyles I'm 10k or so short of the crest. Maybe I should rewatch the speed runs.

At that point in the game I think the best soul farming is running up and down from the bridge to the bonfire and letting the drake toast the hollows up there. Only nets 555 souls or so per round though.

Alternately drop a summon sign and coop a boss.

okno

I. Can. Not. Stop. Playing. This. Game! I've played for a solid nine hours today, my longest stretch I've ever gone and I have no plans on stopping anytime soon. I got to Anor Londo a little bit ago, and I definitely see what everyone is raving about now, haha. Accidentally got myself into Painted World of Ariamis, though :X Oh well. The area isn't difficult at all, just killed the Undead Dragon and now dealing with the Phalanxes.

Question about leveling up, I'm currently a 61 Pyromancer and I have been pumping in stats into Dex, Str, and Vit mostly (27, 22, 22, respectively), is that right? Should I be focusing much on INT or FAI? I know that the glove gains some minor INT scaling after I level it up enough, but I figured I would just wait until I level up the glove enough for that to matter.

CatPee

I. Can. Not. Stop. Playing. This. Game! I've played for a solid nine hours today, my longest stretch I've ever gone and I have no plans on stopping anytime soon. I got to Anor Londo a little bit ago, and I definitely see what everyone is raving about now, haha. Accidentally got myself into Painted World of Ariamis, though :X Oh well. The area isn't difficult at all, just killed the Undead Dragon and now dealing with the Phalanxes.

Question about leveling up, I'm currently a 61 Pyromancer and I have been pumping in stats into Dex, Str, and Vit mostly (27, 22, 22, respectively), is that right? Should I be focusing much on INT or FAI? I know that the glove gains some minor INT scaling after I level it up enough, but I figured I would just wait until I level up the glove enough for that to matter.

The INT scaling is only for the physical punch with the glove. Otherwise, the actual pyromancies are affected only by the glove's level. If you're only sticking with pyromancy and no other magic, don't increase INT or FAI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom