• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

Did The Catacombs and Demon Ruins up to the fog door - From the easiest boss Pinwheel to probably the hardest so far - Ceaseless Discharge - he is a bitch! I had huge problems rolling out of the way of his attacks, had all my best fire defense stuff on inc. some of the Gold Hemmed, AND Flashsweat and still ran out of Estus, thought I was done for!

The Catacombs is a pretty big area. Made a divine Utchigatana for the skeletons and didn't really have any trouble except the bonewheel skeletons, urgh! One at a time is no problem, but any more and it can lead to a very quick death. At one point, after killing them all once, then using a bonfire, I was on the ledge with the item, had 4 of them underneath, I had to wait for each one to de-aggro so I could hit them with an arrow, then wait again. I hate those fuckers, and have to deal with them again to do Tomb of Giants.

re discharge = he can be cheesed....I did it by accident so I don't feel cheap!

re: catacombs - if you have not killed the pinwheel boss its always preferable to bring Paladin leroy with you for the pinwheel skellies....you can actaully get there quick from the first bonfire by
falliln off first bridge to left midway,fall the reverse direction off that subsequent walkway toward the centre(there is a protrusion to aim for) finally fall off the right side of the protrusion toward a summon sign (leroys) on a ledge below, summon him, aggro pinwheels from the ledge with pyro etc. BUT STAY ON LEDGE....leroy goes down and fights.
...you can join him and 3/4 of the time he will heal himself enough to help with pinwheel boss...I know it is unnessary, bu it is fun to use all NPC summons in the game ...Leroy is classic

incidentally this method is actaully good for skipping large chuncks of catacombs bit enables you to go from the bottom up to get to vamos, great scythe, and other treats.....I usually like to get the patches stuff done right though and that pretty much requires doing the prelim/regular path.

Dark Souls online will live forever, it's mostly P2P

I'm gonna start new game early May

when does the dedicated server get axed? Yeah I will go on to try to show support, although I have played way more hours of demon's already over Dark......there is something sentimental about the best game ever made....although there were some improvements in Dark, there will only be one virgin playtrough for a souls game, and that was demon's for me....I signed up on gaf at release of demon's at end of 2009, didn't get to reply to posts until 2011, but took a break before doing another demon's run in prep for Dark. Notwithstandig I recognize you, oracrest, yoshi, cyclops, and others as some of themost prolific posters at the time of release.....really solidified my experience. Thank you.

PS - have you tried the witcher series??? NOt quite as good combat as souls, but pretty close and really awesome story/characters/graphics. I am preoccupied with tw1 abd tw2 enhanced edition right now but should be done for May.

@PetriP-TNT - surely there is a "grestet hits" or used copy of demon's out there for <$20 no?? The original has its magic and must be played with co-op enabled...so much fun/memories....I remember taking a noob through my 5-2 and showing him where the
great sword of moonlight
was. I was keeping my soul level low and was already in NG+ so I already had one....when I gave it to him he couldn't beleive it....started swinging it around immediately and became a prolific player...he was ready to quit as 5-2 was getting him down. Ah yes co-op on demon's is a must experience!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Only discovered the thread now, currently in Tomb Of Giants at Patches' bonefire. Found Nito and got destroyed, I'll clean the caverns right before him first before giving the boss another try...

I abandonned Demon's Souls because of 5-1 but I'm going to show this game who the boss is :D

Mxrz

I wouldn't give up on Demon's Souls cause of world 5. It really isn't much of a pain if you crack brightness up and don't want most of the items. Blighttown is basically world 5 again, but with a weaker frame-rate.

Invasions were a lot more fun in Demon's, at least for the stealthy-sneaky types. Dark Souls levels just don't have all the fun little hiding spots like Boletaria, Stonefang, or Latria.

Farming the forest NPCs might be cheesy, but meh. I'm in a hurry this time. - That NPC with the pharis bow is a damn pain though. His arrows beat my (weak) spells. Been trying to angle them around trees, but often the treant things pop up and ruin my day.

Only discovered the thread now, currently in Tomb Of Giants at Patches' bonefire. Found Nito and got destroyed, I'll clean the caverns right before him first before giving the boss another try...

I abandonned Demon's Souls because of 5-1 but I'm going to show this game who the boss is :D
I almost did the same thing in 5-2, I hated that area, but I did grind it out, level up and finish the game after my tantrum @ 5-2.

Blighttown is an area in Dark Souls quite like world 5 in Demon's, BUT the worst thing about it is the noticable, but still completely playable, drop in the framerate. You come across it far sooner in the game than Demon's (usually, but it's up to you since it's more open world), but the whole issue of getting poisoned is a none-issue in Dark as health depletes so slowly, it's rare to heal up unless you're new to the area or are down there for a long time. The one worry is getting toxic which is like super-poison, but I've never gotten toxic, or cursed for that matter - The enemy that toxifies you is easily delt with.

The level design of Blighttown is much more fun than world 5 IMO, Blighttown is one of my favourite areas in the game, also there is an item that lets you move freely in the swamps that is available from very early on, although it's not apparent where it is - the Rusted Iron Ring is one thing you probably should look up on a FAQ just to make Blighttown a breeze.

All the mud thrown at Blighttown is over-rated IMO, the framerate dips, but it's not like Skyrim pre-patch or anything, it's just a little more choppy and the place is nothing like world 5 other than apprearances basically :)

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I wouldn't give up on Demon's Souls cause of world 5. It really isn't much of a pain if you crack brightness up and don't want most of the items. Blighttown is basically world 5 again, but with a weaker frame-rate.
For some reason, Blighttown was less scary to me than 5-1. That level scared me shitless. Somehow Dark Souls made me feel more empowered at that point in the game so I just went with it's headache inducing drops in framerate.

The ennemies might be easier but what I think helps a lot are bonefires.

Soulhouf

but the whole issue of getting poisoned is a none-issue in Dark as health depletes so slowly, it's rare to heal up unless you're new to the area or are down there for a long time.

I completely disagree. In Demon's Souls you can equip 3 items that significantly regenerate your HP (blessed weapons, regenerator's ring and adjudicator's shield) which you don't have in Dark Souls (you have only Sanctus but it's not effective at all and you get it very late).
Wold 5 in Demon's Souls is my absolute favorite. It has the best level design and contains the best materials and weapons especially if you make a faith build.

IMO if people suck at that level, it's because of poor management. They missed something and didn't understand how things work because the game/and level design is so brilliant and so well done so that given you prepare yourself, that place become really enjoyable.

For some reason Blighttown doesn't give me the headache that most of the other games give me when they constantly run at slow framerates. For instance, I couldn't play Shadow Of The Colossus more than 20 minutes in a row without getting so motion sick that I had to go lay down which ate the enjoyment out of the game for me.

It's not my favorite place (I always go in from the backside now) but it's manageable.

RaginRoss

Beat Gwyn first try last night. Going to go play Witcher 2 before possibly coming back and doing a NG+.

Absolutely loved this game, I was really struggling at the start around the Undead Burg/Parish, but since getting past there I really hit my stride and kicked some ass.

I completely disagree. In Demon's Souls you can equip 3 items that significantly regenerate your HP (blessed weapons, regenerator's ring and adjudicator's shield) which you don't have in Dark Souls (you have only Sanctus but it's not effective at all and you get it very late).

I really, really wish Regenerator's Ring was in Dark Souls. That would make my Chaos Blade build perfect. :/

For some reason, Blighttown was less scary to me than 5-1. That level scared me shitless. Somehow Dark Souls made me feel more empowered at that point in the game so I just went with it's headache inducing drops in framerate.

The ennemies might be easier but what I think helps a lot are bonefires.

I just charged through World 5 like a boss the other night on my replay of Demon's, that's one of the easiest levels in the game. Only one that really irks me is World 4 because you constantly have to deal with gank attempts.

casabolg

Banned
So my guide if you guys want to play the original From Soft games that the Souls series is based off of.

-What is the best From Software first person dungeon crawler?
Shadow Tower.

-I want to play the King's Field series!
Just read this.
www.kings-field.com/history.html
The King's Field games have aged horribly.

-I want to play the King's Field games despite how badly they have aged!
Play King's Field 1-3. They are the main canon. You'll most likely need a translation patch for 1. KF1 in the US was canonically KF2.

-I want something different!
Play Echo Night.

-I want something hard!
You should be fine with everything else already mentioned but if you do want harder, try Shadow Tower: Abyss. Not only is it tough but, to my knowledge, there still isn't a translation patch. You are alone in a deadly and foreign world and don't even know the language. There is nothing that solely depends on needing to know what is said so you can still beat the game.

-I want more!
Play Eternal Ring or the fan made Sword of Moonlight games

My personal list of quality is:
Shadow Tower > Echo Night > Eternal Ring > King's Field 2 > King's Field 3 > King's Field 1
Though ST, EN, and KF2 are easily my favorite. 2 is ridiculously memorable from way back in the PS1 days.

Soulhouf

So my guide if you guys want to play the original From Soft games that the Souls series is based off of.

-What is the best From Software first person dungeon crawler?
Shadow Tower.

-I want to play the King's Field series!
Just read this.
www.kings-field.com/history.html
The King's Field games have aged horribly.

-I want to play the King's Field games despite how badly they have aged!
Play King's Field 1-3. They are the main canon. You'll most likely need a translation patch for 1. KF1 in the US was canonically KF2.

-I want something different!
Play Echo Night.

-I want something hard!
You should be fine with everything else already mentioned but if you do want harder, try Shadow Tower: Abyss. Not only is it tough but, to my knowledge, there still isn't a translation patch. You are alone in a deadly and foreign world and don't even know the language. There is nothing that solely depends on needing to know what is said so you can still beat the game.

-I want more!
Play Eternal Ring or the fan made Sword of Moonlight games

My personal list of quality is:
Shadow Tower > Echo Night > Eternal Ring > King's Field 2 > King's Field 3 > King's Field 1
Though ST, EN, and KF2 are easily my favorite. 2 is ridiculously memorable from way back in the PS1 days.

Thanks!
I really want From Soft to release these games on the US PS Store.
Is there anything to do so they consider releasing them?

casabolg

Banned
I have no idea how to do that.
Besides, even if they will only sell few hundreds copies, it's free money for them.

I agree. I'll go to the site there was petitions before and make on later today. I'll spread it onto 4chan, Neogaf, and Reddit. Hope for the best.

Soulhouf

I agree. I'll go to the site there was petitions before and make on later today. I'll spread it onto 4chan, Neogaf, and Reddit. Hope for the best.

That would be wonderful.
With Demon/Dark Souls success many players would be interested in playing those so I'm sure that it could work.
I'll try to contact From Soft directly on twitter and some publishers like Monkey Paw Games who would be interested to publish these titles.

MechaX

I swear, it seems like every time I get an invader, it elicts a "Really dude?" reaction from me.

In case point, I was in Painted World this morning with my (incomplete) Faith/Str character. It was news to me that invaders could actually interrupt bonfire time, but it happened. I thought to myself "Usually invaders usually start near or behind you... so I wonder..." and made a beeline to the bridge that you start at. Lo and behold, an invader was spawning right at that moment. Unfortunately for him, he was cornered between me and the end of the broken bridge. Plus, I had the Greatshield of Artorias, so his weapon wasn't cutting it. He pulls out a Shotel, which did a decent amount of damage, but I was banking on having the poise I needed to be able to attack him. In this case, I was wielding a Lightning Zwei and used R2 attacks. I definitely had the poise to tank through his shotel swings.

Just as I am about to get the killing blow, he either disconnects or uses the Black Crystal to return home. I mean, even if he lost, wouldn't he just not actually lose his human form and could just go back and retrieve his lost souls in 30 seconds? It's not that serious.

Canova

Banned
I haven't! I would want to before the servers go down but I am strapped on cash right now.

Also Gwyn + BK Greataxe+5 is a joke really, every attack pretty much stunlocks him heh.

Demon's Souls is only 15-18 bucks nowadays, but that's still a lot of money, if you're strapped for cash

Demon's Souls is only 15-18 bucks nowadays, but that's still a lot of money, if you're strapped for cash

Yeah it's not a lot, most of my spare money goes to buying records (Dark Souls is the only game I have bought this year) but currently the record budget is pretty nil too eeh.... I guess I'll just order it next payday!

Think I might cry..

I haven't finished Dark Souls yet, thought I've had it since launch. I've spent exactly 96 hours in the game so far, this happened to me with Demons Souls as well. Played it for nearly 100 hours, then took 3 months off to get back into it and finish it.

So I decided it's time to finish Dark Souls, being the magnificent game that we all know it is. I make it to Lost Izaleth, and happen across the lovely knight from Catarina, whom I've encountered numerous times across my 96 hour journey and have come to admire and respect. Of course, I'm also dead set on earning whatever item he has in store once I satisfy his story.

Long story short, I followed a guide that was supposed to best ensure my success. I fall into the pit of Chaos Eaters with only 1 alive, strike to kill it and end up hitting him. Now he wants me dead, I run to avoid conflict and fall down a pit.

I blew it, pretty sure that story won't materialize in this playthrough. Oh well, guess there's new game+.

Just as I am about to get the killing blow, he either disconnects or uses the Black Crystal to return home. I mean, even if he lost, wouldn't he just not actually lose his human form and could just go back and retrieve his lost souls in 30 seconds? It's not that serious.
Don't understand that at all, other than being salty - you lose nothing from invading, the risk is all on the person being invaded.

Dyno

Was goofing around Dukes Archive looking for the last of the treasures. Wound up losing over 40K souls. Then went to the Crystal Caves and the exact same thing happened. Didn't even find much stuff.

Some days it just doesn't pay to play this game and drink beer at the same time.

Thank goodness, I had my sins absolved (so glad that lowered the fee through the patch!) and the knight from Catarina was waiting for me in the pit in good spirits.

So glad I managed to fix my blunder.

Now to finish this crazy game.

About to do Bed Of Chaos, having watched some fights on youtube, I expect to die at least once or twice, so looking to spend my all souls first on upgrade materials.

I haven't levelled up in a long time, I'm lvl94, and at this point it seems like upgrading weapons is a bigger boost than levelling up. Feels quite nice actually running around with 250,000+ souls and not being too worried about losing them, remembering back early in the game where a few thousand seemed like a huge amount.

About to do Bed Of Chaos, having watched some fights on youtube, I expect to die at least once or twice, so looking to spend my all souls first on upgrade materials.

I haven't levelled up in a long time, I'm lvl94, and at this point it seems like upgrading weapons is a bigger boost than levelling up. Feels quite nice actually running around with 250,000+ souls and not being too worried about losing them, remembering back early in the game where a few thousand seemed like a huge amount.

I am currently lvl 40 and I feel unsure running in unexplored areas with 10k souls and 5 x lvl2 flask :/
About to enter Blighttown more than 10 meters like the 2 times in went past there. The "beware strong poisen" messages and the promised < 5 framerate kinda scare me away from there.

Mike M

Nick N

Bed of Chaos is kind of weird in that the fight doesn't start over when you die, you maintain your progress. Simultaneously easy as pie and maddeningly infuriating at the same time.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I am currently lvl 40 and I feel unsure running in unexplored areas with 10k souls and 5 x lvl2 flask :/
About to enter Blighttown more than 10 meters like the 2 times in went past there. The "beware strong poisen" messages and the promised < 5 framerate kinda scare me away from there.

Blighttown builds character. You'll emerge from the swamp a better person than you were when you entered it.

And then you will never use the front entrance ever again.

Now I join the ranks of you that own a platinum trophy from Dark Souls! Took me 68 hours + some hours on another character according to the save file. Never could have done it without the wiki though...

First I beat S&O, then went to the depths to get the large embmer, I got the last weapon, then I noticed that this (main) char is missing Darkmoon Blade-miracle, Graveload Greatsword Dance and Sunlight Spear. Luckily I had 10 Eye Of Deaths and the soul of Gwyn from NG+. I was missing 5 Souveniers Of Reprisal, so I had to go to Asylym to get the doll, beat the demon for another Slab, went to Painted World and didn't even have to fight the enemies. That place is a Darkmoon hotspot even on my lvl (115 currently. So eventually I got the Souveniers from the enemies, went out of the place and blink, 1 platinum trophy for me heh!

I'm feeling rather exhausted now, so maybe I take a break... or maybe I just try lvl 1 challenge next :)

soultron

Banned
Blighttown builds character. You'll emerge from the swamp a better person than you were when you entered it.

And then you will never use the front entrance ever again.

I'm at the swamps right now. Haha. IIRC, it's the first time I've died and then died again that caused me to lose a significant (17K) amount of souls.

Just found the sewer bonfire there though, which is a saving grace. Hella poison resist gear also makes the swamp quite easy. I almost find it more effective to just get poisoned, wait it out, and then use a flask if needed. Purple flower moss clumps are too precious to use willy-nilly, IMO.

Sullichin

I'm at the swamps right now. Haha. IIRC, it's the first time I've died and then died again that caused me to lose a significant (17K) amount of souls.

Just found the sewer bonfire there though, which is a saving grace. Hella poison resist gear also makes the swamp quite easy. I almost find it more effective to just get poisoned, wait it out, and then use a flask if needed. Purple flower moss clumps are too precious to use willy-nilly, IMO.

You can buy moss from the undead female merchant in the aqueduct from firelink shrines -> lower undead burg. It's cheap.

So anyone else curious about how they will implement the new pvp zone? Sounds like something I have really been craving but can't wrap my head around what they will do.

dosh

After some time, Blighttown will feel like home. Every time I go back there it's "Hey strange mutants! Hey mosquitoes! Hey slugs!" slice, slice, slice, gather shards "Ok, see you everyone! Ho, hey
Mildred
!" slice.

ixix

This is a much saner approach than really worrying about the poison, honestly. At the base of Blighttown poison's so ubiquitous that trying to avoid it is pointless. Better to just accept it, plunge headfirst into the swamp, and tank the damage with endlessly renewable Estus than squander consumables and worry about dashing from one miniscule island to the next. I save the Purple Moss until I know that I'm done playing in the mud for a while.

You can buy moss from the undead female merchant in the aqueduct from firelink shrines -> lower undead burg. It's cheap.

Cheap isn't the same thing as free. If it ain't Estus I ain't using it unless I have no other recourse. Souls don't grow on trees, after all.

When I do co-op in Blighttown I never use any moss to cure poison and just accept that my health is going to be ticking away while fighting the boss. Sometimes a host drops some moss for me to use and I'm like "Hey, free moss!"

And then I don't use it.

Bed of Chaos is kind of weird in that the fight doesn't start over when you die, you maintain your progress. Simultaneously easy as pie and maddeningly infuriating at the same time.
Infuriating indeed! It took 7 attempts but I finally did it, and grabbed my humanity/souls every time. I never fell down the gaps in the floor, but every time I jumped across to the middle I got swept up by the hand attacks and plunged to my doom.

Biggest bullshit boss so far for me, not since the first Capra Demon have I had to make so many attempts at a boss. 100,000 souls though, nice reward.

Kinda sad that I only have Tomb Of Giants left to do I think before the final boss.

Mxrz

Reading these interviews, it sounds like it is up to Namco to decide whether the new stuff is DLC or not. I bet Namco will use that to try and sell us the new edition. Bleh. That annoys me a lot. Much as I like From & the series, I'm not buying the same game twice within a year for retail price.

I lost track of time and spent way too long playing lastnight. New mage is up and running, but a bit over leveled being 40 at Sens. (Great) Heavy Soul arrows doing great damage at least. Also snagged enough green rocks for a Magic weapon. Maybe a Scim or Falchion.

- Not entirely sure how I'll kill the Hydra (and get to Dusk) with the casting times on spells. Hrm.

- Fun moment. Walking all the way back to Fireshrine from Blighttown, only to then remember you forgot to ring the bell.

ixix

- Not entirely sure how I'll kill the Hydra (and get to Dusk) with the casting times on spells. Hrm.

Spells are ridiculously difficult to land on the Hydra on account of the lock-on targeting the body, not the heads. But you really don't need them anyhow. All you need is a shield that can absorb a bite and some patience and you can easily take out the Hydra without taking any damage. I've killed it twice on level 1 characters armed with nothing more than a Heater Shield and a Reinforced Club. If you have trouble getting close enough to get it to stop spitting water at you you can go through the Crest of Artorias door and go down the ladder to the lake and be up in its grille without having to worry about making the approach through the basin proper. I actually find it a bit easier to gauge where the drop-off is when I approach it from that direction.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Those cats in Dark Root do not fucking mess around in NG+. They were scary enough the first time. After making the mistake of trying to run by I just used my Pharis bow to slay them before dropping down to reclaim my souls.

I'm so close to platinum I can almost taste it. All I need is the Gwyn's Greatsword but I am not looking forward to having to go all the way through to Anor Londo in NG++ to be able to do it. If anyone here can trade it to me I would be hugely apprecaitive and could offer a slab, channeler's trident of anything else you could think of in return.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Defeated Seath (cut its tail too!)

Now im about to do four kings. Am i bound to cry? :(

edit- well i beat it after 2nd try, didnt lose my souls. Yay! Bed of chaos, Nito, Seath, and four kings down. I guess its time to find every nook and cranies.

FUCK Tomb of Giants!

I just lost 10 humanity from accidently dropping in the room with tons of giant skeletons, I did grab the ember down there though. Thought I could run back in to get my bloodstain and use a homeward bone, but I was just mauled before I could even reach it! Urgh.

I did go farming for a Titanite Slab from the Darkwraiths in New Londo and got one on my first run through along with a bunch of chunks (which is why I had 10 humanity to lose in ToG!)

AEGISX

Banned
In anor londo, two knights on a catwalk shooting at you with dragons layer bow. That part is no trial and error, that part is plain luck based crap. How the fuck they came up with this shit? Doesn't matter how skilled you are at the game, if you are unlucky, you gonna die here guaranteed

maomaoIYP

In anor londo, two knights on a catwalk shooting at you with dragons layer bow. That part is no trial and error, that part is plain luck based crap. How the fuck they came up with this shit? Doesn't matter how skilled you are at the game, if you are unlucky, you gonna die here guaranteed

Hmm? If you understand the combat system well, it's pure skill. Run past the arrows on the catwalk section, roll through the arrows on the ledge, then parry the BK's attack for the kill.

ixix

And thus did the archer twins make yet another new friend.

The safest, absolutely 100% guaranteed no-risk way to handle them is
to use poison arrows. If you stand at the back end of the platform that the gargoyle demons were on you'll be outside of their range. Technically they're outside your range as well, but if you use poison arrows and aim significantly above them and slightly to the left your arrows will hit them anyway. They'll deal no damage, but the poison will still take effect. Once both are poisoned just wait for them to die. Absolutely no risk to you with this method.

The vastly more entertaining way to handle them is
to just stone cold bum-rush them. Charge straight up the buttress and don't stop for nothing. When you reach the top bear right and roll to dodge the arrow of the knight then get right up in his face. How you dispatch him from here is up to you. Kick him off the edge, parry him, hit him with Force or Wrath of the Gods, or just let him pull his sword out and tumble over the edge under his own power. Once you actually reach him the hard part's over.

It may be hard to tell at first blush, but there's actually nothing luck-based about it.

krakov

If you have a decent bow, you can poison them without running any risk of dying. The miracle force and/or great combustion works well also. Just run up to the right side, dodge or take an arrow, then use whatever you have to take him down. You can block until he falls off if you are ill equipped.

I haven't! I would want to before the servers go down but I am strapped on cash right now.

Also Gwyn + BK Greataxe+5 is a joke really, every attack pretty much stunlocks him heh.

no probs, pick up the asian edition for super-cheap and play on the most active (and likely longest to stay up) server.

After some time, Blighttown will feel like home. Every time I go back there it's "Hey strange mutants! Hey mosquitoes! Hey slugs!" slice, slice, slice, gather shards "Ok, see you everyone! Ho, hey
Mildred
!" slice.

I like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom