• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
Just went through Sen's Fortress. It was pretty easy, I mean the hardest part was the stupid balls. Didn't expect to get instantly teleported to the next area though. Oh, what's with the giants? I hit one and didn't do anything.

Can anyone suggest what I should be leveling next? Right now I'm using a +1 BK sword. Should I level up my +10 zwei to a +1 lightning?

Vit 11
Att 12
End 26
Str 32
Dex 21
Res 10
Int 12
Fai 14

WX3

Blighttown is one of my favorite areas of the game regardless of the frame rate. I remember barely being able to make it to the first bonfire when I first started the game. That was using the entrance coming from the Depths, avoiding every encounter I could, and arriving with no humanity to up my flask total!

Now that I have been putting extensive hours into the game, every area I conquer I can pretty safely explore without worry if I wish to farm some areas. I like that sense of progression in not only the game itself, but my playstyle overall understanding of the systems at work in this game.

Learning to play better has me wondering if I'd rather start a new character than play NG+ once I finally beat it.

Alucrid

Banned
Blighttown is one of my favorite areas of the game regardless of the frame rate. I remember barely being able to make it to the first bonfire when I first started the game. That was using the entrance coming from the Depths, avoiding every encounter I could, and arriving with no humanity to up my flask total!

Now that I have been putting extensive hours into the game, every area I conquer I can pretty safely explore without worry if I wish to farm some areas. I like that sense of progression in not only the game itself, but my playstyle overall understanding of the systems at work in this game.

Learning to play better has me wondering if I'd rather start a new character than play NG+ once I finally beat it.

Yep. I pretty much strolled through The Catacombs and Sens Fortress with ease, especially considering that it's my first time through there.

WX3

Just went through Sen's Fortress. It was pretty easy, I mean the hardest part was the stupid balls. Didn't expect to get instantly teleported to the next area though. Oh, what's with the giants? I hit one and didn't do anything.

Can anyone suggest what I should be leveling next? Right now I'm using a +1 BK sword. Should I level up my +10 zwei to a +1 lightning?

Vit 11
Att 12
End 26
Str 32
Dex 21
Res 10
Int 12
Fai 14

I'd probably concentrate on VIT for a while, then DEX. I'm sure others will offer better advice, but thats how I would roll. Other than FAI, your numbers look relatively similar to what I was playing with for a while until my relatively low HP wouldn't allow for parry mistakes!

WX3

Yep. I pretty much strolled through The Catacombs and Sens Fortress with ease, especially considering that it's my first time through there.

I remember making the incorrect choice of venturing toward the Catacombs and having to run back to the bonfire just because I couldn't handle the skeletons in the graveyard! And that was with a Drake Sword! I just ran through the Catacombs last night with a Devine Longsword +5 that I had been working on specifically for that area and was let down when I smacked Pinwheel literally six times with it and he was dead! I was way overpowered for that part of the game I think.

One aspect of the game I completely underestimated was the weapon modification portion. When I first played the game, the Drake Sword was all I thought I would need. Now I find myself modifying anything that remotely looks interesting, and fed Frampt the Drake Sword! Highly unlikely I thought, was me of all people using a spear for the latter half of the game. I have been stuck on my RAW Halberd +5 even though I have a few other swords that are better. I just love it's moveset, and it compliments my build and playstyle perfectly.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I swear ive invented new cuss words trying to get through Tomb of the Giants....what a pain in the ass to get through in practically pitch black. Hell, even with the shrunken head thing when you use it you have no way to protect yourself, so sure i can see further, but those damn bone dogs tear me apart before i can switch to my shield and block.

I swear ive invented new cuss words trying to get through Tomb of the Giants....what a pain in the ass to get through in practically pitch black. Hell, even with the shrunken head thing when you use it you have no way to protect yourself, so sure i can see further, but those damn bone dogs tear me apart before i can switch to my shield and block.

Go through Lost Izalith yet?

soultron

Banned
:lol @ Sen's Fortress. It's easy, but one misstep of carelessness means it's basically all over. Hahaha. I love it though, at the same time. It's really retro in terms of enemy placement and stuff. :p

Worst thing was that I wasn't even killed by a trap, spike elevator, or an enemy. I was killed by a seemingly innocent
treasure chest.
I kind of laughed when it happened though. I'm going to attack every single one from now on. ;]

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Vit 11
Att 12
End 26
Str 32
Dex 21
Res 10
Int 12
Fai 14

Your most pressing concern at the moment should be your Vitality. At 11 you're running a very real risk of being one-shotted by some of the later bosses. I'd start focusing on that until hitting about 30 or so, personally. That'll sit you at 1100 HP unmodified, which gives you pretty dramatically improved survivability.

Beyond that, it looks like you're pretty thoroughly focused on Strength. If you bring that up to 36 you'll be able to one-hand the Black Knight Greataxe, which hits hard, has a long reach, and has a remarkably fast moveset for a Strength-focused weapon. I'm not a big fan of ever taking Strength beyond 36. None of the weapons that require anything higher have a good enough moveset to warrant the stat investment in my estimation.

I started a new character after finishing the game with my first one, and I don't regret it. I don't think anybody's ever completely satisfied with their first character. I know mine was a bit of a mess, though I suppose I could've done much worse.

Character number two was dramatically improved, but I don't think I ever came up with a build that I considered entirely satisfactory until number three.

Not yet...should i before doing this?

You can
get a helm in Lost Izalith that functions as a permanent light source without taking up one of your hands. You can also learn the Cast Light spell from Dusk of Oolacile if you have 14 Intelligence. The lantern is easily the worst of the three options available for lighting up the Tomb.

On the other hand, though, doing the Tomb with the Lantern builds character just like Blighttown. I wholeheartedly recommend doing it at least once.

maomaoIYP

Vit 11
Att 12
End 26
Str 32
Dex 21
Res 10
Int 12
Fai 14

Don't increase both Str and Dex. Also don't increase both Int and Fai. If you like your slow weapons, stick to Str. Making your zwei lightning will lose its stat bonuses, but zwei never had good stat bonuses in the first place, so by all means do so if you intend on using it in the long run.

Mike M

Nick N
Tomb of the Giants without the
Sunlight Maggot
is as character building as a kick to the nuts, I wouldn't recommend either.

Has there ever been a horror game where the primary mechanic is enemies lurking unseen in barely penetrable darkness until the last moment? Closest I can think of is Silent Hill's fog, but that wasn't as pants-shittingly terrifying as plumbing the stygian depths of ToG only to have a spasming skeledog come flailing at you out of the darkness.

As long as I'm on the subject, right before the bonfire and patches, there seems to be a giant skeleton archer perched atop a mound on top of the tomb containing the ember and gang of giant skeleton guarding it. Can you get to that fucker? I've never even actually SEEN him, let alone found a way up there.

2AdEPT

make sure not to aggro each dog...you can sneak by half of them...on the ones you do engage, make sure to sneak up and use a weapon that will kill them in the fewest amount of hits before they react...for me this was Fire Zweihander, chaos Great Scythe. (Upgraded to near full of course.)

AEGISX

Banned
What is the best dex build armor ?

light armor sets with decent poise (greater or equal to 40) and resistence
default knight set +10 (good luck finding 4 titanite slabs)
ornstein set (No upgrade needed, but you have to make a tough boss battle even tougher)
brass set +5 (will make you permanent sin for that playthrough)
Silver knight set +5 (easiest one to obtain, including upgrade material)
favor set +5 (tough battle, and needs to upgrade)
dark set +5

My world was gravedlorded for a while. The area that is ridiculous is the area before the Butterfly boss. All the regular Stone guy exist and haven't been awaken, but 4 Black Phantom Stone guy are already awoken and approaching you when you get in the area :|.

NG++ This guys does like 90% of my hp in one hit (1.4K hp).

AEGISX

Banned

Vit 11
Att 12
End 26
Str 32
Dex 21
Res 10
Int 12
Fai 14

my first time playthrough was a very smooth ride. Never had problem being one shotted by anything. not like Demon's, pure mage doesnt work in this game, so I made my character as sturdy as possible.
I put some points into str and dex just for weapons, I prioritise in end and vit. By the time I beat the game my SL was around 90 and my stats was something like this:

Vit 40
Att 16
End 40
Str 16
Dex 16
rest on default

You can increase Str dex int or faith in NG+ where souls are a lot easier to obtain than in NG

dosh

Tomb of the Giants without the
Sunlight Maggot
is as character building as a kick to the nuts, I wouldn't recommend either.

Has there ever been a horror game where the primary mechanic is enemies lurking unseen in barely penetrable darkness until the last moment? Closest I can think of is Silent Hill's fog, but that wasn't as pants-shittingly terrifying as plumbing the stygian depths of ToG only to have a spasming skeledog come flailing at you out of the darkness.

On my first descent into that hell, I didn't even have the skull lantern. When I finally found the first bonfire, I fell trapped in that classic "Can't really go back, don't really want to go on" way. I went on anyway (I curse at thee, damn pride of mine), dying countless times, overcoming everything TToG was throwing at me, not once breaking down in tears... only to find out the access to Nito's room was blocked by an orange-yellowish fog I should have unlocked first. Fun times.

As long as I'm on the subject, right before the bonfire and patches, there seems to be a giant skeleton archer perched atop a mound on top of the tomb containing the ember and gang of giant skeleton guarding it. Can you get to that fucker? I've never even actually SEEN him, let alone found a way up there.

I think you get past him on your way down, but you don't even notice him at this point. You certainly run into him if you exit by going back to Pinwheel room from the first ToG bonfire.

Soulhouf

Those cats in Dark Root do not fucking mess around in NG+. They were scary enough the first time. After making the mistake of trying to run by I just used my Pharis bow to slay them before dropping down to reclaim my souls.

I'm so close to platinum I can almost taste it. All I need is the Gwyn's Greatsword but I am not looking forward to having to go all the way through to Anor Londo in NG++ to be able to do it. If anyone here can trade it to me I would be hugely apprecaitive and could offer a slab, channeler's trident of anything else you could think of in return.

What level are you? I will happily give you mine.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The thought of doing Tomb Of Giants without light... Lucky I got the light helmet while unlocking the shortcut in Demon's Ruin.

On my first descent into that hell, I didn't even have the skull lantern. When I finally found the first bonfire, I fell trapped in that classic "Can't really go back, don't really want to go on" way. I went on anyway (I curse at thee, damn pride of mine), dying countless times, overcoming everything TToG was throwing at me, not once breaking down in tears... only to find out the access to Nito's room was blocked by an orange-yellowish fog I should have unlocked first. Fun times.

Holy shit. That would have sucked soooooo bad.

Also, you guys were right, Great Hollow and Ash Lake were definitely worth checking out. Was the first time I had run into those
fucking mushroom men.
Even with my eagle shield at +14, they teamed up and knocked my defense to mush and proceeded to beat the shit out of me, murdering me before the tree gods.

So covenant-wise, I just joined the Sun Bros(praise the muthafuckin' sun!), mainly because I finally could. I had been a way of the white follower since the beginning by default(knight). I considered joining the dragon covenant, and the forest covenant, as well as blademoon(bloodmoon?), but man, overall I got a sense from reading up on them that none of them really offer much of anything worthwhile to me. Am I missing something or do most covenants just offer eventual items that are more for those into miracles? That seems to be a reoccurring thing that I saw across most of them.

I got gang-banged in that tomb last night - twice! I'm sure there is a path going up behind the tomb where the ladder down is? (Not 100% sure might be somewhere else).

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I got gang-banged in that tomb last night - twice! I'm sure there is a path going up behind the tomb where the ladder down is? (Not 100% sure might be somewhere else).
Don't think so, I handled the gang of skelettons by staying on the ledge, targetting one of them and hitting them with pyromancy. You can do it!

AEGISX

Banned
how can you get ganked? i only get ganked by enemy mob when the game force you to face multiple enemies simultaneously during one battle (ie: Bell Gargoyles, ornstein and smough, etc)
normaly i walk slow and draw one enemy at a time, if i draw more than one, I know its my fault. even if I did draw more than one enemies' attention by accident, i simply run back and wait for them to reset back to their spawn point, this will work 99% time.

Zertez

Spent most the night playing co-op and helping people with Smough and Ornstein, it was a lot of fun and saw some crazy builds, weapon combinations and insane damage for this point in the game. One guy was dual wielding Avelyns with the robin hood hat and saw another guy using a fire halbred that could backstab for 1300 damage. No idea what lvl he was, but at lvl 38 I thought I was doing good with 400 damage backstabs. The game gets better with each playthrough and seems like Im learning a new trick or way to fight a mob or encounter every time I start a new game.

Alucrid

Banned
Your most pressing concern at the moment should be your Vitality. At 11 you're running a very real risk of being one-shotted by some of the later bosses. I'd start focusing on that until hitting about 30 or so, personally. That'll sit you at 1100 HP unmodified, which gives you pretty dramatically improved survivability.

Beyond that, it looks like you're pretty thoroughly focused on Strength. If you bring that up to 36 you'll be able to one-hand the Black Knight Greataxe, which hits hard, has a long reach, and has a remarkably fast moveset for a Strength-focused weapon. I'm not a big fan of ever taking Strength beyond 36. None of the weapons that require anything higher have a good enough moveset to warrant the stat investment in my estimation.

I started a new character after finishing the game with my first one, and I don't regret it. I don't think anybody's ever completely satisfied with their first character. I know mine was a bit of a mess, though I suppose I could've done much worse.

Character number two was dramatically improved, but I don't think I ever came up with a build that I considered entirely satisfactory until number three.

You can
get a helm in Lost Izalith that functions as a permanent light source without taking up one of your hands. You can also learn the Cast Light spell from Dusk of Oolacile if you have 14 Intelligence. The lantern is easily the worst of the three options available for lighting up the Tomb.

On the other hand, though, doing the Tomb with the Lantern builds character just like Blighttown. I wholeheartedly recommend doing it at least once.

Don't increase both Str and Dex. Also don't increase both Int and Fai. If you like your slow weapons, stick to Str. Making your zwei lightning will lose its stat bonuses, but zwei never had good stat bonuses in the first place, so by all means do so if you intend on using it in the long run.

my first time playthrough was a very smooth ride. Never had problem being one shotted by anything. not like Demon's, pure mage doesnt work in this game, so I made my character as sturdy as possible.
I put some points into str and dex just for weapons, I prioritise in end and vit. By the time I beat the game my SL was around 90 and my stats was something like this:

Vit 40
Att 16
End 40
Str 16
Dex 16
rest on default

You can increase Str dex int or faith in NG+ where souls are a lot easier to obtain than in NG

Thanks all. Looks like I should start with Vit now. :lol

Soulhouf

If you bring that up to 36 you'll be able to one-hand the Black Knight Greataxe, which hits hard, has a long reach, and has a remarkably fast moveset for a Strength-focused weapon. I'm not a big fan of ever taking Strength beyond 36. None of the weapons that require anything higher have a good enough moveset to warrant the stat investment in my estimation.
It depends. You'll gain a significant amount of damage if you bring it up to 40.
If you went as far as 36, why not invest 4 more points in that? (You'll be able to 1H Demon Great Machete as well).
You can also stop at 27-28 and 2H these weapons without being really penalized damage-wise.

chunk3rvd

Having a re-think of my build before I finalise my levels and was hoping for some advice. I've been working ona 40 DEX / 40 INT build and have the following stats planned so far:

VIT 30
ATT 12
END 40
STR 16
DEX 40
RES 12
INT 40
FAI 8

SL 115

I'm planning on going to SL123 so that gives me 8 points to distribute, allowing me to pick between 2 of the following 3 options:

- 4 in ATT to take me to 4 attunement slots
- 4 in STR to allow me to wield Dragonslayer Greatbow and one hand the Washing Pole for enchantment with CMW
- 4 in INT to allow me to use Crystal Soul Spear

I'm thinking STR and INT may be the best options as a few pages back somebody said that you only need 2 ATT slots for this kind of build anyway - one for CMW and another for HCSM/CSS. Any advice would be appreciated

dosh

I've just made it to Undead Burg, should use the humanity I have in my inventory or is it smarter to wait?

Wait, get the lay of the land, die, use it when you feel you really have to (= when you NEED to be human, either because you want to summon another player or because you want to trigger an event that is only available in human form).

Jarlaxle

So, I'm about halfway through Anor Londo. How far am I into this game? How much do I have left to do?

I know I'm a little overlevelled (SL 71) but I barely ever see any summon signs. Is there no one else around this level at all where I'm at or are they also just primarily going through the whole game by themselves?

Astra

I finally picked this game up after Demon's Souls became boring for me. Loving it so far, and glad to be playing a fresh Souls game where I don't know enemy placement and strategy. 20 hours in so far, and competed Sen's fortress. I died many times when first starting out, but deaths became much less frequent.

Blighttown wasn't bad at all. Hearing about it on GAF had me thinking it was unplayable, but it was just a slight annoyance. Was about as bad as parts of the Valley of Defilement from Demon's.

Picked a Thief as my starter class, and put most of my points into Dexterity. Found an Iaito in Blighttown, upgraded it to a +15 and now I fuck everything up with little effort.

Now I am currently in The Painted World, and having a bit of a rough go of it as I have nothing to cure toxic. Am hoping to find some blooming moss here, or a piece of equipment to boost my resistance.

So, I'm about halfway through Anor Londo. How far am I into this game? How much do I have left to do?

I know I'm a little overlevelled (SL 71) but I barely ever see any summon signs. Is there no one else around this level at all where I'm at or are they also just primarily going through the whole game by themselves?

I'm around level 62 and going through Anor Londo now. Beautiful place, I love it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

72 is a bit high for first time in Londo, so I don't expect you'll see many signs until you get to the next stage of the game after beating Smoug & Orn.

Also once you finish Anor Londo you'll be roughly 1/3 done with the main game not counting optional areas.

casabolg

Banned
What happpes when a sword, armor or ring breaks? Will it be unavaiable and destroyed for ever or can you repair it for souls and use it again?
Rings don't break unless it's a feature of the ring itself. If it does break, it's gone. Weapons and armor can be repaired.

soultron

Banned
I'd say you just hit the 1/3 point. 1/4 after the expansion.

This game...

iJY1J3OL9CyqW.gif

casabolg

Banned
It depends what else you did before getting there. If you did the Forest and the Asylum you're probably closer to 1/2 than 1/3.
What? Even with that he has already got
the catacombs, the tomb of the giants, the Duke's Archives, Anor Londo, the Kiln, New Londo, Painted World Ariamis, Lost Izalith, the deep Darkroot Forest, the Demon Ruins, and the rest of Sen's Fortress
and has only gotten done
The burg, the early forest, the lower burg, the depth, the parish, Blighttown and possibly the Asylum
done. That's well more like 2/3rds of the game left.

dosh

Whoa, I'm only at Sen's Fortress now. You mean that I'm not even 1/3 of the way through this game?

Not only that, but starting with Sen's is a part of the game that's often mentionned by players as one of their favorite in DkS. Some of the fights and places you're about to get into might be the only reason mankind invented the concept of epic.

I'm finding it slightly annoying that there's no real quick way to get to Vamos. It seems like all the other Blacksmiths have a relatively quick path from a warp point, but if there is one for Vamos, I don't know it - right now I'm coming from Firelink Shrine -> Catacombs whenever I want to get to him.

Sullichin

I'm finding it slightly annoying that there's no real quick way to get to Vamos. It seems like all the other Blacksmiths have a relatively quick path from a warp point, but if there is one for Vamos, I don't know it - right now I'm coming from Firelink Shrine -> Catacombs whenever I want to get to him.

If the bridges are lowered, you can roll off the lowest one onto a ledge and be near where you drop into Vamos' area. But yeah it's not that quick.

AEGISX

Banned
Then I better don't equip the ring I got from killing Lautrec.

Why not? 20% increase is a lot mid game and beyond, consider how much increase you get for putting points into stats. Especially true for stamina. Its maxed out at 40 end, which is 160. With that ring you get 192. That is one extra attack, roll or block. Once I go ring of favor I never go back.

Late in the game you can warp into the gravelord cave, then coffin out of the cave and vamos is close. I think...

I started a new game, this time LVL1 challenge. I am running around with Battle Axe+5 and Kite Shield and I am doing fine. So far I have killed Taurus Demon and the Gargoyles (and Lautrec and Titanite Demon #1 and done some side questing things). One hour in and about 5 deaths later I am at Darkroot. I could have just gone to Quelaag but for some reason I decided to go there. If that backfires then backdoor to Blighttown here I come.

MechaX

Well shit. Now that I actually have a character to wield the Dragon Greatsword, I painfully find out that it's actually kinda bad (and looks less like a sword as opposed to "Dragon Lump of Slab").

Man, I kinda miss the Dragon Bone Smasher from Demon's Souls now. DkS is making it very hard to pretend I'm Guts from Berserk.

casabolg

Banned
Well shit. Now that I actually have a character to wield the Dragon Greatsword, I painfully find out that it's actually kinda bad (and looks less like a sword as opposed to "Dragon Lump of Slab").

Man, I kinda miss the Dragon Bone Smasher from Demon's Souls now. DkS is making it very hard to pretend I'm Guts from Berserk.

Well you have a pure str build I suppose. That can't be bad. Any greatsword in one hand and a pike in the offhand.

Why not? 20% increase is a lot mid game and beyond, consider how much increase you get for putting points into stats. Especially true for stamina. Its maxed out at 40 end, which is 160. With that ring you get 192. That is one extra attack, roll or block. Once I go ring of favor I never go back.

Well I tend to die in some stupid ways pretty often at the moment so I don't want to risk to lose the ring :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom