• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
72 is a bit high for first time in Londo, so I don't expect you'll see many signs until you get to the next stage of the game after beating Smoug & Orn.

Also once you finish Anor Londo you'll be roughly 1/3 done with the main game not counting optional areas.

I'd say you just hit the 1/3 point. 1/4 after the expansion.

Hmm really? Later game spoilers
I know you have to fill the Lord Vessel, but that doesn't seem like it would take too much time. Is there really that much more content after Anor Londo? I'm right before Smough and Orn

2AdEPT

I'm finding it slightly annoying that there's no real quick way to get to Vamos. It seems like all the other Blacksmiths have a relatively quick path from a warp point, but if there is one for Vamos, I don't know it - right now I'm coming from Firelink Shrine -> Catacombs whenever I want to get to him.

yeah Vamos is only tricky the first time...once you get him to open the hole in the wall he is only 30 seconds away. AS mentioned above, from bonfire drop left off the first bridge onto one below, then drop right off that one toward the protrusion below, drop right off the protrusion and you are a tt eh bottom. THere will be pinwheels there but the final rock you drop onto is above the pinwheels and safe and you can summon Leroy there if you have not killed the pinwheel boss.

NOw that I think of it, you could avoid pinwheel skellies by goign inside off that 2nd ledge and just go down the original way to Vamos...you can fight your way back up or homeward. Neither path takes any time at all once you know where you are going as enemies do not have to be engaged for themost part.

I really like fire and chaos weapons so I have left pinwheel intact simply for this purpose...you can summon leroy 100 times if you want as long as you don]t kill the boss, or..... let him die....which only happened once to me as he heals himself most of the time.

HAS anyone bothered with the EARLY patches appearance in Firelink by
doing the running of the bridge fiasco in catacombs?

casabolg

Banned
Hmm really? Later game spoilers
I know you have to fill the Lord Vessel, but that doesn't seem like it would take too much time. Is there really that much more content after Anor Londo? I'm right before Smough and Orn
The areas actually are pretty lengthy overall. They still seem rushed but it will take you a while.

Mike M

Nick N
I would characterize the end of Anor Londo as closer to the halfway mark rather than 1/3rd of the way through the main game, but the open endedness of the game makes that an extremely fuzzy number.

I would characterize the end of Anor Londo as closer to the halfway mark rather than 1/3rd of the way through the main game, but the open endedness of the game makes that an extremely fuzzy number.

I'd say it's pretty much on the dead center but the game changes a lot when you finsih Anor Londo for obvious reasons.

I agree Anor Londo feels about halfway.

Just did Nito who was the last of the Chaos Lords for me, so I'm on the home stretch now. Quite the boss fight, not hard per se, but I got too close to the big skeletons at one point trying to avoid the poison(?) wave, so lots of juggling weapons between my lightning spear and divine uchigatana. Cool design on Nito himself.

On weapons, I've pretty used the lightning spear since I got it way back in Sen's Fortress. I have had Quaalag's Fury Sword as back-up, but largely just stuck to the spear. I think I was the same in Demon's Souls that I really couldn't get into using the bigger weapons, I don't like the extremely slow speed they hit, and I don't really put that much into strength, so it takes me a while to get up to having enough to even use them, if at all.

This seems to be the minority vote though since almost everyone I've seen online is using big ass weapons. I am thinking about playing a new character rather than NG+ and going for a strength build to see how I go using all the heavy armour and shields, should be fun and maybe make PvP easier?

Just had multiple Sun Bros runs through
Kiln of the first flame, taking out Gwyn each time.
Good way to get a large amount of souls pretty quick. Being a Sun Bro is pretty awesome so far!

Also, I agree that Anor Lando seems about halfway through the game, but of course with the way the game is structured, that could vary a little one way or the other.

dosh

maybe make PvP easier?

Not necessarily. It's possible to rely a lot more on speed, roll and lunge than on big ass weaponry and fat armors (even though I admit it's a bit silly to say since the darkwood grain ring will make people equiped with huge weapons/armors really fast and agile anyway).
My beloved +15 Great Scythe doesn't require high STR, does great damages, and offers a very good range, moderately fast attacks, along with super sweet moves (in particular the forward+R2, bane of many opponents).

Just had multiple Sun Bros runs through
Kiln of the first flame, taking out Gwyn each time.
Good way to get a large amount of souls pretty quick. Being a Sun Bros is pretty awesome so far!

This. I remember last year when lots of people were asking for a way to farm souls easily on the DkS wiki chat, complaining that the Darkroot farming spot wasn't enough, while all they had to do was to spend an evening putting down summon signs in front of the Iron Golem arena and watch as the souls and humanities pretty much gathered themselves. Way funnier and more rewarding than grinding in the forest.

Alucrid

Banned
Not necessarily. It's possible to rely a lot more on speed, roll and lunge than on big ass weaponry and fat armors (even though I admit it's a bit silly to say since the darkwood grain ring will make people equiped with huge weapons/armors really fast and agile anyway).
My beloved +15 Great Scythe doesn't require high STR, does great damages, and offers a very good range, moderately fast attacks, along with super sweet moves (in particular the forward+R2, bane of many opponents).

This. I remember last year when lots of people were asking for a way to farm souls easily on the DkS wiki chat, complaining that the Darkroot farming spot wasn't enough, while all they had to do was to spend an evening putting down summon signs in front of the Iron Golem arena and watch as the souls and humanities pretty much gathered themselves. Way funnier and more rewarding than grinding in the forest.

Ooh. Gonna try that tonight then.

I kept trading shit to Snuggly then as I was backing out of the menus getting a backdash when pressing B which sent my flying off the edge and back to Quelagg's domain. :|

Zertez

Then I better don't equip the ring I got from killing Lautrec.

The only weapons that cant be repaired if broken is Crystal weapons. Crystal weapons can not be repaired with spells, blacksmith or powders. The only way to repair them is to upgrade them when they get low on durability. You can not modify them or change them into other weapon types either, or I havent found a way to do it. Once you go down the Crystal path, you are stuck with it. You need a max Crystal weapon for the trophy, so use a weapon you dont mind losing.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I agree with the 1/2 assessment as well, it really depends on your current progress and whether you tackle bonus areas and shortcuts.

Sen's Fortress is definitely a highlight for me as well as most players. It's a dangerous and devious place but none of it feels cheap. It is full of secrets, treasures and surprises and it's a fun challenge to solo, co-op and pvp with.

Also want to throw out another quick ask (more like beg) about the Great Lord's Greatsword or (end game spoiler)
Gwyn's Boss Soul
. If anyone has the sword and could let my character pick it up for the Knight's Honor trophy I would be immensely grateful and can offer literally any other rare weapon in the game in return. The dude with the stash is SL 55 ATM but I can always BB to trade at a lower soul level.

PSN = Surreal_Blue

soultron

Banned
It depends what else you did before getting there. If you did the Forest and the Asylum you're probably closer to 1/2 than 1/3.

If by the Forest you mean Darkroot; I've done a bit. The last thing I did there was get the Crest to open the short cut from the Undead Parish blacksmith bonfire. I'm currently a part of the Forest Hunters covenant. I have to do the boss that's nearby as well, still. (The one with the sealed door with
the light coming through the crack
; opened the door but wussed out and haven't gone in yet.)

I made it to the area with the cats, killed all of them like a boss (not before thinking there was only one... and get nearly mauled to death by the other 2!!!!!!!!!) and then kept exploring there. The forest there is so huge though. The framerate really dips there and the treant trashmobs there seem to be stronger than the ones in the lower areas of Darkroot Garden, so I haven't really done much exploring in there just yet. Still, the short cut is opened with the Crest so that it makes exploring in there a lot easier now for when I do decide to return.

Also, I've not been
back
to the Asylum yet, if that's what you're mentioning.

The areas I've done so far, for the most part, include:

Some of Darkroot Garden and Basin.
Undead Parish and Burg. (Including lower Burg.)
Blighttown.
The Depths.

... and that's kind of it. I'm just getting into Sen's Fortress now.

2AdEPT

The areas I've done so far, for the most part, include:

Some of Darkroot Garden and Basin.
Undead Parish and Burg. (Including lower Burg.)
Blighttown.
The Depths.

... and that's kind of it. I'm just getting into Sen's Fortress now.

YEah, the only thing I dislike about the beloved soul games is that often you get stuck figuring out what equipment you want on your virgin playthrough (only one virgin run people) late in the game, and you only find out after the fact what stuff would be great for what boss etc. BUt reallkythe linear progression idea is to blame for this not the developers. Often gaining this equipment is posible WITHOUT killing the boss of all levels. For example Soultron could pick up the
sunlight maggot, gold hemmed set, and two embers
from demon's ruins without having to fight a boss in that level, and he could have done queelag almost immediately after the asylum. SOme would say noobs can't do this owing to having to learn the game on the linear path, but as an experienced demon's die hard this did not interest me as much as exploring to find items.

I really encourage all new players to consider oracrest's recommendation to explore as much as possible yourself before diving through the boss doors..obviosuly you have no choice but to ring both bells to get to sens and beyond that way, but you do have access to almost half the game immeditely at Frelink. Almost HALF, but MORE than half if you consider that Darkroot, valley of drakes, berg, parish, catacombs, new londo ruins, the hollow ash lake, asylum revisited, blighttown can all be entered fully and looted without killing a boss. Killing just queelag enables you to do more than half the game with a very wide range of equipment/covenant choices. Gleaning what equipment from parts of the levels that typoically are considered "hard" is most of the fun IMO.

I feel this is a juncture where people seem to have the understanding that when you enter a level you must go throughthe whole thing linearly and do the boss in one sweep or its a failure. This is not it at all.

I think it does make a difference "how much" of the game has one covered, but only because you best figure out what equipment you want to use and get it early..this will happen without wiki only if you search everywhere and collect everything. I really beleive this is waht the developers were going for with Dark vs. Demon's and the master key combined with unlimited carrying capacity speak toward this idea holding water.

I also understnad that griefers use this strategy to grief at low levels but griefers will exist whether you wnat them to or not..Fight FIRE with FIRE! I have had the gold hemmed set, lightning spear, eagle shield, darkwood grain ring, havels ring, and maxed pyro as low as level10 or so just to help noobs do their linear path through taurus and gargoyles etc....but I have been asked to help on sif in early games also....
he burns real easy[/spoler], but no one would know that unless they had the guts to try. I don't use stuff that I could get at DUkes like the magic stuff b/c I want the new player to be able to get what I have quickly if they so choose at low levels.

rant over:p

soultron

Banned
I've only consulted the wiki a few times for in-depth item descriptions of stuff I already own. I consulted YouTube for exactly how the waterwheel shortcut worked because I knew it had to be a shortcut.

Aside from that, I've had a really great time just going in blind. I read some of the stuff you guys post in here but the great thing is that the equipment and area posts here aren't really spoilery unless you go into specifics.

It still blows me away that I'm not even half way done the game. I'm level 43 right now, having sunk 20 hours. Any regular game would've been done 8-10 hours ago. I have a feeling that this game will easily last me 50-60 hours for my first go-through. After that? I'm thinking that the real playthrough (NG+) will be fun too.

And yeah, it's not really a hard game at all. I feel like some of the Ninja Gaiden games are hard. I feel like its reputation of being this frustrating, hard, ugly experience only for the hardcore is a bit of an urban legend amongst us gaming enthusiasts. :p

need to make a hires/non-gifsoup version when i have the time..

happy-channeling_o_gi7fuea.gif

^^^

Hahaha, that is awesome.

Man, I just helped someone beat
Gwyn
and it must have been at least new game+ as I got 77,000 souls! Holy shit, that was crazy.

2AdEPT

I've only consulted the wiki a few times for in-depth item descriptions of stuff I already own. I consulted YouTube for exactly how the waterwheel shortcut worked because I knew it had to be a shortcut.

Aside from that, I've had a really great time just going in blind. I read some of the stuff you guys post in here but the great thing is that the equipment and area posts here aren't really spoilery unless you go into specifics.

It still blows me away that I'm not even half way done the game. I'm level 43 right now, having sunk 20 hours. Any regular game would've been done 8-10 hours ago. I have a feeling that this game will easily last me 50-60 hours for my first go-through. After that? I'm thinking that the real playthrough (NG+) will be fun too.

And yeah, it's not really a hard game at all. I feel like some of the Ninja Gaiden games are hard. I feel like its reputation of being this frustrating, hard, ugly experience only for the hardcore is a bit of an urban legend amongst us gaming enthusiasts. :p

Good work soultron..this virgin playthrough you only get once. Make sure you try some co-op but make sure the "helpers" know what your goal is ahead of time.

I suppose I am somewhat of a radical but between both souls games I have prolly put in 700 hours with at least 100 hours per charcter on 7 dedicated and purposeful non-scrapped playthroughs. I finally got my fill and tried to get through skyrim but put it down "halfway" through for withcher 1 and 2 on PC......but all this talk on souls has me getting ready to return, and prepare for the PC version in August...can't wait!

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Started over with a Warrior - works much better with the way I approach the game (I played as a Thief in Demon's Souls). Is it a better idea to go through the Darkroot Forest/Basin area first or deal with all the necromancers in the catacombs? I don't have a transient curse yet so New Londo Ruins doesn't look like an option at the moment.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Killed Nito! Now on to clean stuff up and I can take care of Gwyn.

I can do it!

I bought the remaining spells from Big Hat Logan, was made his bitch by his soulmass spell and won a free travel to the prison! yay! Any against him?

I'll also need to find the Onion Dude, I didn't get his reward in Anor Londo so he might still be hanging there.

Alucrid

Banned
what are those items? shards?

Also made it through NLR. Pretty easy but didn't go for the boss just yet, also got one of the ghost weapons to drop so no more stupid transient curses. I really thought the entire level was going to be ghosts, not just like...half. Probably gonna spend some time helping people with bosses then upgrade some gear before taking on that boss.

someone needs to gif the dude leaving.

aFIGurANT

Started over with a Warrior - works much better with the way I approach the game (I played as a Thief in Demon's Souls). Is it a better idea to go through the Darkroot Forest/Basin area first or deal with all the necromancers in the catacombs? I don't have a transient curse yet so New Londo Ruins doesn't look like an option at the moment.

You want to do the garden first and clear it up to the giant glowing door. Easier to farm and gives you more vendors/covenants than the shitty catacomb which has one blacksmith and not a lot else. Plus you can come back later with an upgraded weapon that kills the skeletons in one shot and that will lessen the difficulty a good amount.

That video is awesome and I think that's the prism stone which is always a random color to start with. Great idea though to glitch that of all items, lol.

In the related videos. I laughed.

Haha, I enjoyed the part where it somewhat circled around Petrus, haha. And the end.

How the hell did he get that many prism stones? Nuts.

Also, I discovered how to do the Channelers dance, didn't know that the player could actually do it with just
the trident
. Thing was, I didn't have the stats to properly equip it, so I pull it out, do the dance, and it breaks, hahaha.

Thing was, I didn't have the stats to properly equip it, so I pull it out, do the dance, and it breaks, hahaha.

dancing casts a short (20 sec) buff on any other characters you are playing with (yourself not included), and uses up some of the durability which would be why it broke. buffs attack power by a substantial amount though.

This must be the ultimate trident dance video.

On a related note, one of my friends got the trident of the first channeler in parish today.

haha awesome.

This must be the ultimate trident dance video.

On a related note, one of my friends got the trident of the first channeler in parish today.

Hahahahahaha, thanks for that. Awesome.

dancing casts a short (20 sec) buff on any other characters you are playing with (yourself not included), and uses up some of the durability which would be why it broke. buffs attack power by a substantial amount though.

That makes sense, and will be good to know in the future. Thanks.

sixghost

What? Even with that he has already got
the catacombs, the tomb of the giants, the Duke's Archives, Anor Londo, the Kiln, New Londo, Painted World Ariamis, Lost Izalith, the deep Darkroot Forest, the Demon Ruins, and the rest of Sen's Fortress
and has only gotten done
The burg, the early forest, the lower burg, the depth, the parish, Blighttown and possibly the Asylum
done. That's well more like 2/3rds of the game left.

Not everyone's playthrough is the same. If you're new to the series, New Game through Sen's is going to take you a long ass time, because you're getting used to the game, and figuring stuff out. I took about 25-30 hours to finish Sen's, then wrapped up the game around 60.

On subsequent playthroughs, you're right. Sen's is about 1/3 of the way through, because you blow through those early areas.

M.D

I'm at the end of the game with my second character. I'm SL102 right now, but will probably level it to 120 at some point. Just doing invasions in the burg and co-op with gaffers :)

Pretty happy with the INT/DEX build, although I felt way overpowered for most of the time using spells. Almost felt like cheating. Using DEX scaling weapons is great. I love my Swag Sword +15 + CMW in PVP :> I also use some Chaos weapons, and they are godly :D

I don't know what to do with my next character. Maybe a pure melee character? I want to experience the game using just melee.

What about this build? Starting class - Cleric

SL120

VIT - 48
END - 40
ATT -12
STR - 50
DEX - 20
FAI - 14 (DEF)

Lots of VIT and END, 2 spell slots, 50 STR for scaling and 20 DEX to be able to hold various weapons.

Starting as cleric for the faith, to be able to use healing spells. I don't mind not having healing spells, but I don't see why not. Does this look like a good build? The thing I'm not sure about is when leveling STR becomes useless. Is it 40 or 50? If there's no point taking it to 50, I could put it into something else or end at a lower SL.

I want this to be a PVP character.
The one thing I'm worried about is the fact that even with 50 or 40 STR you can be overpowered by someone who uses Sunlight Blade, Darkmoon Blade or CMW.
Either way, I think I'm gonna take a break from the game very soon. I spent 200+ on my two characters, and haven't played anything else since getting it.

I'll come back for the new content :)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm at the end of the game with my second character. I'm SL102 right now, but will probably level it to 120 at some point. Just doing invasions in the burg and co-op with gaffers :)

Pretty happy with the INT/DEX build, although I felt way overpowered for most of the time using spells. Almost felt like cheating. Using DEX scaling weapons is great. I love my Swag Sword +15 + CMW in PVP :> I also use some Chaos weapons, and they are godly :D

I don't know what to do with my next character. Maybe a pure melee character? I want to experience the game using just melee.

What about this build? Starting class - Cleric

SL120

VIT - 48
END - 40
ATT -12
STR - 50
DEX - 20
FAI - 14 (DEF)

Lots of VIT and END, 2 spell slots, 50 STR for scaling and 20 DEX to be able to hold various weapons.

Starting as cleric for the faith, to be able to use healing spells. I don't mind not having healing spells, but I don't see why not. Does this look like a good build? The thing I'm not sure about is when leveling STR becomes useless. Is it 40 or 50? If there's no point taking it to 50, I could put it into something else or end at a lower SL.

I want this to be a PVP character.
The one thing I'm worried about is the fact that even with 50 or 40 STR you can be overpowered by someone who uses Sunlight Blade, Darkmoon Blade or CMW.
Either way, I think I'm gonna take a break from the game very soon. I spent 200+ on my two characters, and haven't played anything else since getting it.

I'll come back for the new content :)

If having Miracles isn't much of a concern to you it'd almost certainly be better to start as a Bandit for a Strength build rather than a Cleric.

Taking Dexterity to 20 is mostly pointless unless you're planning on using the Iaito, Priscilla's Dagger, or Ricard's Rapier, none of which are well-suited to a Strength build. 18 is a sufficient Dex stat to use any of the Black Knight weapons, and if you're not planning on using one of those you probably needn't put anything into Dex at all.

If you want to have some Miracle access on a Strength build you could consider going for a Grant build. Drop your Vitality to 40 and Dex to 12 and put the resulting 16 spare points into Faith to hit the requirements. Grant actually scales better with Faith than Strength, though, so I'm generally inclined to think that taking Strength to 34 and Faith to 50 and just accepting that you'll always have to use it two-handed is better for a Grant build.

That's the best advice I can think of. I've only ever really run a single character that was somewhat Strength-focused, and that character supplemented big honking swords with Sorcery. A full-blown Strength build isn't something I have any real experience with.

McHuj

Beat it. ~70 hours. I started NG+ it took me about an hour to ring the first bell. It's amazing how easy (I know that's not the appropriate word, but) the game is when you know where to go, what to do, and how to fight effectively with the various weapons.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Gravelord Nito tips?

Ive got a lightning spear +5, a drake sword +4, and some flame weapon +5. I also heard there was a bonfire right outside the boss room in that area with those little tiny skeletons..which i somehow missed??

Any good farming opportunities there?

Mike M

Nick N
Gravelord Nito tips?

Ive got a lightning spear +5, a drake sword +4, and some flame weapon +5. I also heard there was a bonfire right outside the boss room in that area with those little tiny skeletons..which i somehow missed??

Any good farming opportunities there?

He's weak to fire, but you need a divine weapon to permanently kill the skeletons. I seem to remember if you stick close, his sword swings go right over your head, but you need to bail when he hunches over to do his miasma attack. Get too far away and he starts doing the sword from the ground deal.

There's a bonfire a ways before his chamber, and one that appears after he's dead so you can warp out (Also serves as a nearly useless warp destination), but nothing outside his chamber.

Baby skeletons spawn infinitely and occasionally drop humanity, but it disappears quickly.

Soulhouf

If having Miracles isn't much of a concern to you it'd almost certainly be better to start as a Bandit for a Strength build rather than a Cleric.

Taking Dexterity to 20 is mostly pointless unless you're planning on using the Iaito, Priscilla's Dagger, or Ricard's Rapier, none of which are well-suited to a Strength build. 18 is a sufficient Dex stat to use any of the Black Knight weapons, and if you're not planning on using one of those you probably needn't put anything into Dex at all.

If you want to have some Miracle access on a Strength build you could consider going for a Grant build. Drop your Vitality to 40 and Dex to 12 and put the resulting 16 spare points into Faith to hit the requirements. Grant actually scales better with Faith than Strength, though, so I'm generally inclined to think that taking Strength to 34 and Faith to 50 and just accepting that you'll always have to use it two-handed is better for a Grant build.

That's the best advice I can think of. I've only ever really run a single character that was somewhat Strength-focused, and that character supplemented big honking swords with Sorcery. A full-blown Strength build isn't something I have any real experience with.

I approve this except for your comment on dex. I don't say you're not right but there is actually a very good reason to up your dex to 20 and it's called Dragon slayer Great Bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom