• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarlaxle

So I played for a little over an hour last night and completed absolutely nothing at all. I now know what some of you were talking about with the two archers on anor londo. I just wish there was a bonfire right before trying to go up the side of the building. It's such bullshit to walk all the way there, kill the two big sentry guys, the lightning demons and then to try to get past the archers just to get knocked off almost immediately. This is legitimatley the first place I've actually felt frustrated at in the game. Oh well, I'll try again tonight.

Alucrid

Banned
So I played for a little over an hour last night and completed absolutely nothing at all. I now know what some of you were talking about with the two archers on anor londo. I just wish there was a bonfire right before trying to go up the side of the building. It's such bullshit to walk all the way there, kill the two big sentry guys, the lightning demons and then to try to get past the archers just to get knocked off almost immediately. This is legitimatley the first place I've actually felt frustrated at in the game. Oh well, I'll try again tonight.

For me (I'm pure melee) I just ran to the one on the left, ran past him so that the tower was blocking the other one, and just killed him in two hits. Then slowly advanced towards the other (make sure to face to the right so the arrow knockback hits you into the wall) and then killed the other.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I approve this except for your comment on dex. I don't say you're not right but there is actually a very good reason to up your dex to 20 and it's called Dragon slayer Great Bow.

I've never thought too highly of the Dragonslayer Greatbow because the 500 soul cost of every single arrow is an affront to my miserly nature. I try to enjoy using it, but every time I release the trigger I feel like I'm watching my hard-earned dosh flying off into the distance. I suppose if you're not quite so illogically attached to every single soul you earn it's a lot more pleasant to use.

It is a lot of fun to use it to snipe the archer twins off their perches, though. That's up there with using Undead Rapport on the Undead Parish Channeler's minion swarm in terms of perversely satisfying Dark Souls experiences.

krakov

You can run past all of the enemies up to the middle pillar before the final approach. Just make sure you move fast and it's not that hard. Though the lightning mobs can push you off edges if you're unlucky.

dosh

Run all the way. After a while, I didn't even bother killing the giant knights and the gargoyles anymore. Just run/roll past everyone until you're past the last two gargoyles. You can take a break behind the small tower at the center of the catwalk.

MechaX

Gravelord Nito tips?

Ive got a lightning spear +5, a drake sword +4, and some flame weapon +5. I also heard there was a bonfire right outside the boss room in that area with those little tiny skeletons..which i somehow missed??

Any good farming opportunities there?

At this point, just ditch the drake sword. You can upgrade a lot of other weapons (lightning weapons) that will be better with less effort.

But outside of the advice people have already mentioned, do not chase him. Just stay near the entrance and let Nito come to you. You do not want to fight Nito + 10 skeletons.

Canova

Banned

poison.arrows.

Shoot one of them from the place you kill 2 gargoyles, and watch him die slowly

Zertez

As others have mentioned, run past most of the mobs until you get to the first big pillar. Wait for the archers to stop shooting, then run up the ramp. Go towards the right guard, keeping pressed against the left wall and rolling through the arrows. When you get close to the guard he will switch to a sword, run back to the ramp and hide behind the post. It will block you from the archer on the left and the guard you pulled will lose his footing and fall to his death most the time. Do the same for the archer on the left, if you want to grab the item. It is optional though. It is just as easy for the mobs to lose their footing as it is for you, make use of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bahaha. I wish I had a video of how I handled the Anor Londo archers. Granted I had been warned about them in this thread's predecessor.

2AdEPT

the trident dancing gif actually inspires me to find one of those poles, I'm gonna make that my mission

Very cool and funcitonal weapon particularly if you are high INT. It has a great reach, and the spinning threee prongs on the end are very cool indeed. I like the dance thing, and have used it in co-op, but miss having an extra R2 attack in its place though.

Can anyone confirm how much attack power you really get, some reports say "a lot" but becuase others are getting it when I use it I cna't say for sure?...no one has ever boosted my attack power in other words...only me for them.

RE: archers: also effective in addition to the strategies above is to bring a shield with high stability like a semi-upgraded Eagle SHield and use the lightning spear to poke the archers off WHILE KEEPING YOUR SHEILD UP. Only spears and the Estoc allow you to do this but it is a strategy that really increases your chances. Although I am now experienced, I have not died using this strategy the last couple times where previously I had to try a couple attempts at least. I imagine having armour that has high poise may help as well with this so wear the wolf ring if you have space as well. Chewing the grass that increases endurance regen is also a very helpful practice with this as taking blows with shield up reduces endurance.

2AdEPT

why do people summon me then run into the boss fight before I'm even there?

Once a host sees the message that you will be summoned he/she can assume you are on your way...these people are probably hoping you're around to help at the end more than the beginning I would assume, or, they jsut may have a friend with them and that's all they really need but press on your sign at the fog door becuase it is there and the more the merrier....whether you appear or not may be irrelevant to them but the extra help is great. I never take off until I see the person and bow etc. but I have been summoned many times lie you have mentioned and it is no sweat off my back...I disliked the times when they actually died before I had a chance to help though...that was annoying for sure.

Alucrid

Banned
Once a host sees the message that you will be summoned he/she can assume you are on your way...these people are probably hoping you're around to help at the end more than the beginning I would assume. I never take off until I see the person and bow etc. but I have been summoned many times lie you have mentioned and it is no sweat off my back...I disliked the times when they actually died before I had a chance to help though...that was annoying for sure.

Yeah, but he also summoned me with one of the royal knights on top of me so I took damage before entering the boss room :(

Also hate when I 'fail' sunbros. :(

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
why do people summon me then run into the boss fight before I'm even there?

The most likely answer is that they were invaded, sprinted toward the boss door to send the invader home, and tagged your sign on their way in.

Or else they're counting on you to ambush the boss through the fog door while they draw their attention. One or the other.

I don't think it's possible to have that many people at once is it?

Host, two allied phantoms, and two invaders is the max, I think. Theoretically I think it's possible to have more than five in the Forest and
Dark Anor Londo
or by tagging a duel sign, but I've never actually seen that happen myself and I'm not sure if the game eventually puts a hard cap on the number of human players in a single game.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
You want to do the garden first and clear it up to the giant glowing door. Easier to farm and gives you more vendors/covenants than the shitty catacomb which has one blacksmith and not a lot else. Plus you can come back later with an upgraded weapon that kills the skeletons in one shot and that will lessen the difficulty a good amount.
Thanks for the info. I'll go that route. The game is a lot more fun with high strength and endurance.

AEGISX

Banned
Gravelord Nito tips?

Ive got a lightning spear +5, a drake sword +4, and some flame weapon +5. I also heard there was a bonfire right outside the boss room in that area with those little tiny skeletons..which i somehow missed??

Any good farming opportunities there?
Iron flesh + fire spells cheese him to death.

okno

Yep, me too. Just ran back to Undead Burg to get some poison arrows after dying for the 15th time in a row. Haven't gone back yet, though. Decided to go back down into Blighttown and gather everything I missed out on the last time (Sever, Green Titanite Shard, Plank Shield, The Great Hollow entrance), then on my way out I decided to run through the Valley of Drakes for revenge on those bastards. Feels really good to be able to run through the world and just annihilate everything in my path.

Tried farming humanity in The Depths, but none of the giant rats ever dropped a single one... Normally, one of the three giant rats just in front of the front entrance to Blighttown would drop one every single time, but I spent a good half hour down there with nothing, AND I had the Covetous Serpent Ring equipped! Is there a better place for me at the moment? I only have one humanity and one twin humanity on hand :( Lost a bunch trying out PvP in Painted World (horrible idea, but I learned a lot from it and now understand the grief on backstab bastards).

I am getting frustrated with the Tomb of The Giants. I really love the atmosphere though. Anyway, I have reached a room with three giant skeletons below. Is this the right way? Because those three destroy me. It's either that way, or I missed another route somewhere in the darkness and need to backtrack. I did help the girl on the lower levels.

Zertez

Yep, me too. Just ran back to Undead Burg to get some poison arrows after dying for the 15th time in a row. Haven't gone back yet, though. Decided to go back down into Blighttown and gather everything I missed out on the last time (Sever, Green Titanite Shard, Plank Shield, The Great Hollow entrance), then on my way out I decided to run through the Valley of Drakes for revenge on those bastards. Feels really good to be able to run through the world and just annihilate everything in my path.

Tried farming humanity in The Depths, but none of the giant rats ever dropped a single one... Normally, one of the three giant rats just in front of the front entrance to Blighttown would drop one every single time, but I spent a good half hour down there with nothing, AND I had the Covetous Serpent Ring equipped! Is there a better place for me at the moment? I only have one humanity and one twin humanity on hand :( Lost a bunch trying out PvP in Painted World (horrible idea, but I learned a lot from it and now understand the grief on backstab bastards).
Farm all the rats, not just the giant ones. There is about a dozen rats total in a small path to the giant rats. It takes about 3 minutes to finish a run and I average a humanity per run with Serpent ring equipped and 2 humanity.

Mike M

Nick N
I am getting frustrated with the Tomb of The Giants. I really love the atmosphere though. Anyway, I have reached a room with three giant skeletons below. Is this the right way? Because those three destroy me. It's either that way, or I missed another route somewhere in the darkness and need to backtrack. I did help the girl on the lower levels.

There's more than three down there, and it's a dead end. There's an ember down there, though.

The way forward is to follow the wall along the right of the pit Patches punts you down.

Alucrid

Banned
well fuck me. I remember hearing a long time ago that elite knight armor was the shit

apparently after the last patch it aint

and i upgraded

shiiit

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That's up there with using Undead Rapport on the Undead Parish Channeler's minion swarm in terms of perversely satisfying Dark Souls experiences.
Oh my word, I never even thought about this. What an amazingly devious ploy!

There's still so much I have yet to try in this game. Feels like I will never be truly done with it. Next I think I want to try a Faith-concentrated build. Fancy wielding some of those lightning bolts as a Sunbro and such. What's the most common way to approach a Faith build? STR/DEX weapons? When all else fails, pump VIT or END?

I just got 60k souls from helping someone with the sens fortress boss. wat?

Was that a NG+ or something?

Possibly. Maybe even NG++. I recently got 70K for helping someone beat
Gwyn
and since it's normally around 35K, I'm guessing each + about doubles the amount you receive.

On that note, I
You Defeated Gwyn!
for the first time. New Game+ here I come!

Man, I'm running through DS again and just got to the New Londo Ruins. God do I wish that entire cavern was the level. When you drain the water, that whole place should open up.

Can anyone confirm how much attack power you really get, some reports say "a lot" but becuase others are getting it when I use it I cna't say for sure?...no one has ever boosted my attack power in other words...only me for them.

likewise i seem to be always the buffing and never the buffed. wiki gives two numbers, something like +95% and +136%. Would be interesting to coordinate with someone for a test.

2AdEPT

likewise i seem to be always the buffing and never the buffed. wiki gives two numbers, something like +95% and +136%. Would be interesting to coordinate with someone for a test.

I'm not playing right now (watching hockey playoffs) but I'll check the SL of the ONE character I think that has it. I'll pm if you have that on once I get on to it. If someone else wants to do it right away go on right ahead.
;{)

(that's my hockey playoff moustache!)

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Anyone knows if the Sun Bro covenant requirement carry over NG+?

What I mean is that I used co-op to be able to become a Sun Bro despite being below 50 Faith, will I be able to enlist right away in NG+ or will I have to helps dudes out again in order to don again the golden hue?

Sweet mo.

I'm in a class at the moment but if you're around in a couple of hours can give it a shot. PS3, I have a bunch of chars at different levels and at least two have the trident so should be able to sort something out

soultron

Banned
Dearest Lautrec: fuck you, buddy.

I'm gonna destroy that fool next time I see him. (I figure that the Black Eye Orb will let me do it.)

What I mean is that I used co-op to be able to become a Sun Bro despite being below 50 Faith, will I be able to enlist right away in NG+ or will I have to helps dudes out again in order to don again the golden hue?

I can't completely answer your question as I haven't attempted anything specifically as a Sun Bro in new game+ yet, but I did just start new game+, and having ended the last game as a Sun Bros, my current status lists me as a "Warrior of Sunlight+1" so I'm guessing that yeah, it does carry over.

Alucrid

Banned

the actual req is only 25 atm

I'm aware of the fun fight I'm walking into. So be it.

Also be aware that, if you want to know before hand of course, then read this
you only have to kill Lautrec, you don't have to kill his friends. Of course you will get souls from killing his friends so it might be worth it to you.

krakov

well fuck me. I remember hearing a long time ago that elite knight armor was the shit

apparently after the last patch it aint

and i upgraded

shiiit

If you want to use only the best your options are pretty slim. Elite Knight is still pretty good and if you like the look, go for it.

soultron

Banned
Also be aware that, if you want to know before hand of course, then read this
you only have to kill Lautrec, you don't have to kill his friends. Of course you will get souls from killing his friends so it might be worth it to you.

I'm going to kill him and his wussy friends.

The emergent narrative in this game is so rad.

2AdEPT

Sweet mo.

I'm in a class at the moment but if you're around in a couple of hours can give it a shot. PS3, I have a bunch of chars at different levels and at least two have the trident so should be able to sort something out

Im startin right now....PS3 id: adepterik2 (i think)

AEGISX

Banned
If you want to use only the best your options are pretty slim. Elite Knight is still pretty good and if you like the look, go for it.
a set with 34 poise is not worth farming for 4 slabs to get max leveled.
default knight armor is the way to go if you want a super light set with high defense and high poise.

AEGISX

Banned
What the fuck is up with the Ceaseless Discharge? I have my highest fire def armor/ring and that bitch can still one hit me

you can kill him without taking any damage.

as soon as he wakes up, run back to the fog door and wait for him to slam his fists on the ground, then you attack couple times and he will die instantly. not sure if its a bug or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom