• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc farks

you need elemental weapons. lighting or fire. they hit much harder than any scaling weapons at your level. based on your status, an elemental greatsword (bastard sword, claymore, flamberge) katana (uchi) or halberd should do the work.

You're saying just go with the lightning claymore into the catacombs? And just kill them multiple times and forget about going divine? I have some good elemental weapons, just not a good divine one.

Thanks for the replies, I'm definitely running through New Londo instead of the Valley now, I just didn't think about it after opening up the Valley shortcut, figured it was better.

Sullichin

You're saying just go with the lightning claymore into the catacombs? And just kill them multiple times and forget about going divine? I have some good elemental weapons, just not a good divine one.

Thanks for the replies, I'm definitely running through New Londo instead of the Valley now, I just didn't think about it after opening up the Valley shortcut, figured it was better.

I think he means use your lightning weapon on the NL boss fight. I just beat that boss a couple of days ago with a lightning claymore.

EasyMode

Did you pick up the
occult club from Anor Londo? If you take that to a blacksmith he can downgrade (the rightmost menu) it into a divine club +5. Not an amazing weapon, but it'll serve for putting down those skeletons in the catacombs.

lunlunqq

no, i was talking about the 4 kings. just use a hard hitting elemental weapon on them. for the catacombs, any divine weapons will do. you only need to run through the catacombs once to kill all the necromancers (6 in total iirc). they don't respawn. once they are dead, the skeletons won't revive not matter what weapon you used to kill them.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So I was careful to leave the Forest Convenant via Oswald and absolved any sins I had, but when I joined the Forest Hunters again Shiva and the Ninja don't show up now? I take it I have to go into NG now to get Dark Wood Grain.

one85x

So I was careful to leave the Forest Convenant via Oswald and absolved any sins I had, but when I joined the Forest Hunters again Shiva and the Ninja don't show up now? I take it I have to go into NG now to get Dark Wood Grain.
That's pretty weird. Maybe they just went straight to Blighttown?

tc farks

Did you pick up the
occult club from Anor Londo? If you take that to a blacksmith he can downgrade (the rightmost menu) it into a divine club +5. Not an amazing weapon, but it'll serve for putting down those skeletons in the catacombs.

Yeah I did. I think this might be the best idea.

After killing the 6 necromancers, like just mentioned, a divine weapon will be useless again so that's a good amount of effort to put into it.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice

I'm 99% sure you'll find them at their Blighttown spot
near the waterwheel.

no, i was talking about the 4 kings. just use a hard hitting elemental weapon on them. for the catacombs, any divine weapons will do. you only need to run through the catacombs once to kill all the necromancers (6 in total iirc). they don't respawn. once they are dead, the skeletons won't revive not matter what weapon you used to kill them.

If you don't have a particularly strong Divine weapon, just equip it along with a weapon that is strong. To permanently kill a skeleton you only need to deliver a final blow with a Divine weapon. So, you can soften them up with the weapon of your choice, do a quick weapon change, and finish 'em off with the Divine one.

shiroryu

Blighttown and second bell rung in 1 hour of play. With the help of the New Londo shortcut for quick access to the bonfire and the help of a phantom for Quelaag. The guy was taking the heat off me very well, but he got oneshotted towards the end. Wow. Guess I dodged a bullet there.

But both bells are now rung, and I need stay in 15fps town only for the loot and to buy stuff from Shiva.

Ok I finally made it out of Blighttown and killed Quelaag (really easy with NPC summon). Is it ok to upgrade my flasks at that bonfire or does that Firekeeper soul I found back there serve another purpose?

Next destination before Sen's is probably going to the Basin and co-op the Hydra. I need to get the Dark Wood Grain Ring as well. Does the bodyguard still appear in Blighttown if I get Oswald to abandon my Covenant or will I be stuck farming souls to absolve my sins?

Tomodachi

BTW, you don't need to kill ALL 6 necromancers to stop the skeletons from respawning. Each one of them "is responsible" only for the skeletons nearby, so if you for instance kill the first one, then die, you can use any weapon to kill the first skeletons, they won't respawn.

Also, as somebody else said, it's a good technique to soften them up and then deliver the final blow with a divine weapon, just make sure you don't overdo it, it can be a pain to kill them again (also, they sometime can get killed from the exploding heads or from falls, so be careful because they will respawn that way).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I invaded someone for the first time as a Darkwraith last night in Anor Londo.

All I did was open the shortcut door to the boss because I was too afraid to fight him and his phantoms.

I can't decide if Im a nice Darkwraith or a complete coward.

Sullichin

So, is it considered bad form to use an estus in PVP? I'm not talking kiln here, but I am playing with PVP in mind - waiting to get invaded in dark anor londo.

I use estus for me and my phantoms because a) there's often a shit ton of souls at risk, b) for some reason I always spawn at the first AL bonfire when I die, c) the invaders could have heal or heal using humanity, d) I don't have a massive amount of VIT or wear heavy armor in PVP. I don't spam estus like crazy, and often healing during a match is a death wish anyway.

J-Roderton

Off to kill the Gaping Dragon, which I guess is really the only thing to do in the depths. How can I get the the mage that shoots at me during that fight?

scosher

Off to kill the Gaping Dragon, which I guess is really the only thing to do in the depths. How can I get the the mage that shoots at me during that fight?

From the bonfire in the Depths, go down the ramp to the right and straight to the hallway with all the rats. Follow the straightforward tunnel all the way to a fog door that you should see, which leads to the Channeler. Kill him so he doesn't interfere in the boss fight.

J-Roderton

From the bonfire in the Depths, go down the ramp to the right and straight to the hallway with all the rats. Follow the straightforward tunnel all the way to a fog door that you should see, which leads to the Channeler. Kill him so he doesn't interfere in the boss fight.

Thanks. Let's go give this a shot.

Wool

So, is it considered bad form to use an estus in PVP? I'm not talking kiln here, but I am playing with PVP in mind - waiting to get invaded in dark anor londo.

I use estus for me and my phantoms because a) there's often a shit ton of souls at risk, b) for some reason I always spawn at the first AL bonfire when I die, c) the invaders could have heal or heal using humanity, d) I don't have a massive amount of VIT or wear heavy armor in PVP. I don't spam estus like crazy, and often healing during a match is a death wish anyway.

If you are just playing through the level planning to beat the boss and get invaded, I think estus is acceptable. If you are PVPing on purpose, it is bad form IMHO. You can heal after the fight if you win, but it's entirely your fault for not wearing heavy armor and having low VIT. If you're also fighting 3 v. 1 with two phantoms you've got quite an advantage anyways. Obviously nothing is going to happen to you because of bad form, but I personally don't do it.

If the invaders are being jerks though, I'll estus away. I kind of let the opponent make the first un-sportsmanlike move before I do so.

Wallachia

If you are just playing through the level planning to beat the boss and get invaded, I think estus is acceptable. If you are PVPing on purpose, it is bad form IMHO. You can heal after the fight if you win, but it's entirely your fault for not wearing heavy armor and having low VIT. If you're also fighting 3 v. 1 with two phantoms you've got quite an advantage anyways. Obviously nothing is going to happen to you because of bad form, but I personally don't do it.

If the invaders are being jerks though, I'll estus away. I kind of let the opponent make the first un-sportsmanlike move before I do so.

340x.gif

FUCK THAT. SMOKE IF YOU GOT EM! YOU are the one being invaded anyway!

Grinchy

Banned
People have estus etiquette? Lol F that. Someone is invading you. Kill them however you must. Though, I do bow to people.

So, people just discovered a new glitch that allows to transfer all the contents of the Botomless Box from one character, to a newly created character.

Example: My newly created Level 1 Pyro, will have all the gear of my Level 300 character.

Here's how:

1. old character - transfer all your items into the bottomless box
2. create and fill all your characters slots (10 slots)
3. create a new character after filling all the slots - this will be your "new" character you will transfer to.
4. when asked to delete one character choose ok, highlight the one you want to transfer all gears from.
4. press triangle to toggle display
5. then press X
6. buy the bottomless box
7. all your stuff from the old character should be in the box.

VIDEO

http://youtu.be/iT9BEOwocaA

Thread here, several people confirming it works.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/61373232

2AdEPT

If they're letting you have the time to estus, it's probably their fault.

I'm more along the lines of this.....I EXPECT estus use by my adversary and use the animation time to get a backstab or at very least a couple stun lock or klnowckdown opportunities...even a full health bar replenishment pales in comparison to the advantage gained........... if you now how to take advantage that is.

Just beat Sen's Fortress. Two easy but enjoyable boss fights. There is a ring on the ground which I assume will take me to the new area. Question is, I am carrying 50k in souls just now (10+40 from Golem), is there a Bonfire near in at the start of wherever this rings take me? Don't want to lose 50k!

edit: Nevermind, found it.
FUCK, the enemies are huge here, and oddly haven't attacked me yet!

Looks like there will be another fire keepers soul here taking me to +3, there is a lady by the Bonfire.

Sullichin

People have estus etiquette? Lol F that. Someone is invading you. Kill them however you must. Though, I do bow to people.

The "moral qualm" comes from the fact that I already beat Anor Londo and I made it dark and I'm waiting to be invaded. But still. If I'm chugging an estus you can backstab the fuck out of me and possibly 1 hit me. And you can very well use a humanity or heal miracle to get all of your hp back. And as a phantom if you die, you don't lose anything. I don't really want to purposefully not use an estus flask just so i'm being "fair" and then start hollow without any souls or humanity all the way on the other side of the map. And really, if I'm invading someone else, it really seems like everyone's using their estus flasks. Then again most people I fought pre-1.05 used the fog ring :p

KennyLinder: yes, there's a boss near the beginning of the next area. The large enemies you'll encounter have a very close aggro rate so you can run by and safely find the bonfire.

So, people just discovered a new glitch that allows to transfer all the contents of the Botomless Box from one character, to a newly created character.

Example: My newly created Level 1 Pyro, will have all the gear of my Level 300 character.

Here's how:

3. create a new character after filling all the slots - this will be your "new" character you will transfer to.
4. when asked to delete one character choose ok, highlight the one you want to transfer all gears from.
5. then press X

VIDEO

Wow, that has some game breaking implications. I might not mind using it for pve use though to mess around or use a weapon I once got legitimately with another character.

2AdEPT

Here's how:

5. then press X

VIDEO

this is huge. it may cause some unfair early builds, but I am extemely interested in ensuring my special weapons like channelers trident, prowling demon's, etc. get to an appropriate new character as I always seem to get these rare weapons for characters whose stats don't align right to take best advantage of them. It is simply not fun grinding for these weapons, nor the avarice head, which helps in grinding but does not prevent it much. i'm into figuring out good stratgies......not into grinding inthe least...reminds to much of work.

UFRA

What is a good path to upgrade a Longbow? I've got 40 DEX so would it be best to just go +15?

I would upgrade it to +10. Then, use the soul of Gwyndolin to make a Darkmoon Bow. From there, you use Demon Titanite to get it to +5 and it is the highest damaging bow in the game (excluding the dragonslayer greatbow I think).

I have it to +5 and it's awesome. It does like 365 damage, half of which is magic damage too! You having such high DEX will mean it will probably be like 400+ damage for you. I only have 20 DEX.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Wow, that has some game breaking implications. I might not mind using it for pve use though to mess around or use a weapon I once got legitimately with another character.

I don't think it'll prove particularly game-breaking. There's nothing you can transfer using that glitch that you can't get at SL 1 anyhow, and you can't transfer spells and key items so it's useless for getting multiple copies of limited-availability spells and sequence breaking.

It doesn't strike me as a very worthwhile glitch, personally. At least until they figure out other ways of manipulating the Bottomless Box.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Ugh, I shudder at having to get her tail, especially in NG+. It's the only weapon I'm missing outside a couple soul weapons in NG++ for the rare weapons trophy. I tried like 10 times in NG to get it and never was able to.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ugh, I shudder at having to get her tail, especially in NG+. It's the only weapon I'm missing outside a couple soul weapons in NG++ for the rare weapons trophy. I tried like 10 times in NG to get it and never was able to.

The first time I just wanted her dead because she was hard, the second time I killed her so quick I thought she was yard trash, lol.

malfcn

Same shit on a few Sif runs. I start mowing him down, and then without touching me I die. Did I get stepped on? Annoyed.

Jhoan

I finally got through Sen's Fortress earlier myself and am now in Anor Londo. It took me several tries to beat the boss because he kept knocking me off the tower. I used Fireball, the stronger Fireball spell, and the Pyromancy spell that you get for joining the Chaos Servant Covenant, along with some melee attacks.

I finally found a worthy replacement to the Drakesword in the form of the Lightning Spear that you get from the mimic box; it's bad ass. I've been tearing enemies apart with it along with the Pyromancy spells. Is there no way to leave or do I have to play through the entire area in order to leave? I want to go back to the Northern Undead Asylum to get the doll, as well as buy a couple of spells. Oh, and I did read the spoilers for what you get from that area that will allow you to leave.

Here's how:

5. then press X

VIDEO

Jesus. I thought the twinked out gankers were bad before; after this they're gonna be EVERYWHERE.

But at least on the flip side, this also means that the PvE folks trying to counter said griefer can just put their inventory in too and fight them with just as broken gear.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Eh, the griefers usually have people to help them transfer stuff from one account to another anyway, I don't see it as such a big deal. It won't be any different than Demon's Souls when people with uber gear deleveled to pick on noobs. It's actually good for people who want to start a new character after botching their last one but wanting to keep the stuff from the botched character.

tc farks

I finally got through Sen's Fortress earlier myself and am now in Anor Londo. It took me several tries to beat the boss because he kept knocking me off the tower. I used Fireball, the stronger Fireball spell, and the Pyromancy spell that you get for joining the Chaos Servant Covenant, along with some melee attacks.

I finally found a worthy replacement to the Drakesword in the form of the Lightning Spear that you get from the mimic box; it's bad ass. I've been tearing enemies apart with it along with the Pyromancy spells. Is there no way to leave or do I have to play through the entire area in order to leave? I want to go back to the Northern Undead Asylum to get the doll, as well as buy a couple of spells. Oh, and I did read the spoilers for what you get from that area that will allow you to leave.

Well I wouldn't, but if you really want you can backtrack if you want to. In Sen's you make the jump over the broken walkway in the middle area of the roof to get to the merchant in the tower. Then go down the stairs and find the cage key, giving you the shortcut to the bottom of Sen's (the 2 elevators you run into on the way to the Iron Golem).

Just beating S&O and getting the Lordvessel, then going back for Painted World and Dukes is optimal though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Busy day, killed a dude from singapore 3 times. Made orenstine's spear, the crystal shield, got my murakumo to +13, almost have the sword from sif's souls made, same with the spider sword.

Think I'm going to try 4 kings again tomorrow. They raped me my first try in NG+, I'm probably going to have to buff my armor up and use iron skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom