• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
WTF is the sword that looks like a dragon bone that can stunlock you through your shield and give you toxic?

That shit is OP as hell.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Yes, got Priscilla's tail pretty easy in NG+. Here's how I did it:
Crown of Dusk + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Pyro glove+15, did Great Combustion on the tip of her tail and it came off clean in one cast.

Pygmy the Forgotten from the intro; was she ever mentioned/seen ingame at all? I found nothing regarding her.
Darkstalker Kaathe tells you that you are the furtive pygmy's direct descendant and as a result able to become The Dark Lord .

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Counter it with a Shotel.

If the Gravelord Sword wielder was staggering through a shield he was probably using it two-handed and the shield-piercing ability of the Shotel wouldn't accomplish much.

Depending on Poise either soaking a hit and going for a pivot backstab during the swing recovery or baiting a swing and rolling through it for a backstab is how I handle pretty much all varieties of greatsword wielders in PvP. A Faith build can also bait a swing then use Wrath of the Gods when they whiff. Greatsword wielders are usually going for stunlock, not backstabs, so convincing them to commit to an attack is usually a lot easier than it is for the dedicated backstabbers.

So more developments today (I think the game finally clicked today)

I had two very interesting online experiences.

1)Summoned a fellow player who helped me with the boss in lower undead burg (the things with the tail and two dogs) which dropped the key to the depths.

2)Went to the depths (had about 7000 souls on me) and came across a weird butcher, just as I was about to head to fight him, I got invaded by some super strong player who killed me. Grrr, I lost those souls. Can I get them back???

Otherwisem the game is awesome. Should I continue into the Depths?

ixix

So more developments today (I think the game finally clicked today)

I had two very interesting online experiences.

1)Summoned a fellow player who helped me with the boss in lower undead burg (the things with the tail and two dogs) which dropped the key to the depths.

2)Went to the depths (had about 7000 souls on me) and came across a weird butcher, just as I was about to head to fight him, I got invaded by some super strong player who killed me. Grrr, I lost those souls. Can I get them back???

Otherwisem the game is awesome. Should I continue into the Depths?

The Depths is where you should be headed at this point, yeah. When you're killed by an invader you leave a bloodstain same as any other death, so head back to where you died and nab it. The Depths are one of the game's griefing hotspots, as you've discovered. It's crawling with level-suppressed invaders using endgame gear. You'll probably want to stay hollow for the duration, though there's an NPC invader you'll probably want to fight before you take on the boss, which you can do in offline mode if you don't want to deal with being human online down there.

The Depths is where you should be headed at this point, yeah. When you're killed by an invader you leave a bloodstain same as any other death, so head back to where you died and nab it. The Depths are one of the game's griefing hotspots, as you've discovered. It's crawling with level-suppressed invaders using endgame gear. You'll probably want to stay hollow for the duration, though there's an NPC invader you'll probably want to fight before you take on the boss, which you can do in offline mode if you don't want to deal with being human online down there.

Thank you. :)

Gosh, Dark Souls is really a great game. I spent about 5 hours playing straight. Havent done in a long while.

Wool

Ive been playing online on PS3 the past few days without any problems...

Is there any point in getting INT over 50? Finally got all of the sorceries. I have INT50, Logans Catalyst, Dusk Crown, Bellowing Dragoncrest ring. Am I maxed out in terms of magic damage output?

Increasing your INT wouldn't help, but you aren't technically maxed out in terms of damage output. You could wear the red tearstone ring and keep your health below 20%, adding a 50% damage boost. I think you could also use that dragon stone and turn into a lizard man, and that adds a 25% damage boost. I don't think either of those are very practical for PvE, but in PvP it seems like glass cannon types of builds work really well.

Been playing Dark Souls on and off for the past week. Currently level 25. I just arrived at the gargoyles fight. Shit's hard. I get closed at killing the first gargoyle, then the other one murders me. :(

Not usual the type of game I would play, but I'm digging it. I told myself I'll played for two and a half hours straight, which is weird this I was only planning to play an hour of it.

Ill Saint

Been playing Dark Souls on and off for the past week. Currently level 25. I just arrived at the gargoyles fight. Shit's hard. I get closed at killing the first gargoyle, then the other one murders me. :(

Try using pine resin on your weapon. Go human and summon Solaire and / or a partner.

cj_iwakura

Great art in the OP. More! (Ideally of Izalith.)

Also, my favorite PvP ground is Duke's Archives. So many places to invade and duel.

It's my new Shrine of Storms.

J-Roderton

It gets easier. Take it slow, you'll be able to blitz the place once you have it down.

Once you hit the swamp, rush along the right wall, bonfire, you're home free.

Yeah, my roomie that has already made it through keeps telling me to keep working my way down. Every corner, it seems like I'm being ambushed. I look forward to getting out of this shit hole. I will hate this game until then.

Woohoo, I beat one of those Black Demon Knights with the horns. That was a tough fight though. He dropped a cool sword but I cant use it yet cuz my stats arent up to snuff.

purg3

slept with Malkin
finally went back and finished my NG+ play through after an extended break from the game. First time playing post patch as well. Damn they weren't joking about the iron flesh nerf, no more easy mode with some bosses.

Only 4 more achievements to go, not sure if I'm going to bother with them or not, especially the weapon one. I seriously spent like an hour trying to get Seath's tail before moving on. Really annoying.

Just wanna make sure before I go in and don't really want to risk spoilers by checking the wiki, but does the final boss have a cuttable tail?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That glitch to keep your shit on a new character works btw. I'm well on my way to a decked out sorcerer build.

Int caps at 50 right?

Darkstalker Kaathe tells you that you are the furtive pygmy's direct descendant and as a result able to become The Dark Lord .
Wow, not sure how I missed that tidbit in my attempt to get Dark Lord.
Apparently
Reah (or the Player if started with specific gift) is Pygmy's descendant as they are in possesion of the pendant. But not sure how they could connect the pendant with Pygmy, as the pendant description is so vague

So, I just fired this game up today and being a complete modern Action RPG noob, to say that I'm out of my depth would be a total understatement. That being said, I'm extremely excited and intrigued.

First things first, the character movement feels so ridiculously spot-on; never has a combat roll felt so good.

Also, speaking of the combat roll, the area in which I learnt of it introduced an extremely sporadic frame rate. Going on the last OT's title... Welcome to Dark Souls?

Anor Londo is so badass, the enemies have taken a proper upgrade from the last area.

The larger guards with the Great Bows are insane, they have knocked me off the little walkways when I was trying to get back my 20k Souls + 15 Humanity, oh well! Those white flying creatures too, fuck me they are hard work if you happen to alert more than one of them, although weirdly if you knock them off of the edge of the platform they fall to their death - maybe they can't proper fly, just sort of fall with style ;)

The area inside the Castle looks like a decent grinding area once you open the locked door from the other side and can get back to the Bonfire. Every enemy pumping out either 1k or 1.3k in Souls seems like a winner. There is a HUGE enemy down below which I assume I'll visit soon. There is a NPC at the 2nd Bonfire (not the Fire Keeper lady), there are messages on the floor to kill him lol :)

Question regarding Covenants:

I am currently in the Chaos Covenant (the one after killing Quelag) and will probably try and join the Princess Guard when I get the chance.

If I join the Princess Guard, will I be hated by the Egg dude in the Chaos Covenant and will that mean I can't buy the anti-egg curse from him? I guess that might be a problem if I get the egg hat.

I can't find a bond fire in the Depths/Sewers which will make fighting the boss impossible with my level 30 Warrior without being a human with players to summon. I refuse to stay human going through the Depths because I can OWN every enemy easy but annoying people keep invading and nobody drops their soul sign in that area.

I can't find a bond fire in the Depths/Sewers which will make fighting the boss impossible with my level 30 Warrior without being a human with players to summon. I refuse to stay human going through the Depths because I can OWN every enemy easy but annoying people keep invading and nobody drops their soul sign in that area.

The Bonfire in the Depths is near the start, even closer if you have the Master Key.

When you go into the Depths down the steps and into the room with the Butcher, you can take him out (if you wish) and the dogs and make your way through the water in the area there (more dogs and zombies). Get out of the water and turn right and follow it round (another Butcher will attack). Keep going down the passages until you get to a very long corridor with slimes hanging from the ceiling. At the end of that room is the entrance to the Bonfire. IF you have the master key you can use it there. If not, it's best to take on the first Butcher and at the back of that room is a little hole you can fall down which drops you into a huge room with a massive rat. The key is in that room. Follow the passage ways and eventually you'll get back to the Bonfire (via a different route obv.)

It took me a few tries to get there but it's not too bad.

After that, the boss is very close to the Bonfire down a couple of corridors.

The Bonfire in the Depths is near the start, even closer if you have the Master Key.

When you go into the Depths down the steps and into the room with the Butcher, you can take him out (if you wish) and the dogs and make your way through the water in the area there (more dogs and zombies). Get out of the water and turn right and follow it round (another Butcher will attack). Keep going down the passages until you get to a very long corridor with slimes hanging from the ceiling. At the end of that room is the entrance to the Bonfire. IF you have the master key you can use it there. If not, it's best to take on the first Butcher and at the back of that room is a little hole you can fall down which drops you into a huge room with a massive rat. The key is in that room. Follow the passage ways and eventually you'll get back to the Bonfire (via a different route obv.)

It took me a few tries to get there but it's not too bad.

After that, the boss is very close to the Bonfire down a couple of corridors.

Sweet. Ill try that. Whats good about the sewers is that once you take out the butchers you are pretty much home free till that boss.

sikkinixx

okay, so I started the game as a Pyromancer and now I'm exploring around the Undead Burg, I spent too long grinding souls near the start to afford the Heal miracle, only to find I needed 3 levels of Faith to use it (d'oh) but now to use it, with my fire and an axe/shield I can't use my bow. I'm feeling like I should have picked the warrior dude instead since I use melee a lot and to use any decent weapons I need to crank up my strength/dex a lot but if I do that I neglect my pyro/miracle strength a lot. I feel like I need to start over again and go all light weapons as I like to roll around like crazy.

Also: should I be spending my humanity all the time? I didn't know you lose it when you die and don't reach your soul corpse so that seems to me I should be spending them? And large souls gems? Do I use them? Sell them? I have a bunch but I'm just kinda hanging onto them along with a shit ton of crappy loot.

Sullichin

okay, so I started the game as a Pyromancer and now I'm exploring around the Undead Burg, I spent too long grinding souls near the start to afford the Heal miracle, only to find I needed 3 levels of Faith to use it (d'oh) but now to use it, with my fire and an axe/shield I can't use my bow. I'm feeling like I should have picked the warrior dude instead since I use melee a lot and to use any decent weapons I need to crank up my strength/dex a lot but if I do that I neglect my pyro/miracle strength a lot. I feel like I need to start over again and go all light weapons as I like to roll around like crazy.

Also: should I be spending my humanity all the time? I didn't know you lose it when you die and don't reach your soul corpse so that seems to me I should be spending them? And large souls gems? Do I use them? Sell them? I have a bunch but I'm just kinda hanging onto them along with a shit ton of crappy loot.

A couple of things:

Your pyromancy flame is not affected by ANY stat. It might say it scales with intelligence on one of the menus, but it's only for the melee attack which you will probably never even use. The power of the flame can be upgraded by pyromancy trainers, one of which you can encounter in the area after lower undead burg.

And you shouldn't really spend your humanity all the time. You only lose the "loaded" humanities (number in the upper left corner) when you die. I'd make sure to spend them by reverse hollowing/kindling bonfires. I wouldn't use them just to heal yourself just yet.

Those soul pickups are just worth a certain # of souls. when you use them you'll get that number added to your soul count. So, it's safest to use them in front of a bonfire/merchant/whatever when you want to spend the souls.

Trophy Questions:

Knights Honor - Do all rare weapons have to be on the SAME character?
Bond of a Pyromancer/ Wisdom of a Sage/Prayer of a Maiden - Do all spells have to be on same character?

Halp!

Woot! I rung the first bell-tower. I never thought I would like this game as much as I do. \

Is it weird that I've been having dreams about Dark Souls and forming plans in my mind to beat enemies (I had a dream about beating the two gargoyles)?

Woot! I rung the first bell-tower. I never thought I would like this game as much as I do. \

Is it weird that I've been having dreams about Dark Souls and forming plans in my mind to beat enemies (I had a dream about beating the two gargoyles)?

One of things I think about the most when I am not playing Dark Souls is Dark Souls. I am getting both Zelda and Batman for Xmas and I don't really care about either of them right now. I know they are good, but I just want to play this game forever!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Nope, not weird this game is that good.

I really hope the next one focuses more on multiplayer, it COULD be so much better. Oh, and PVP balance.

Sullichin

87% of trophies now, probably never going to get Knights Honor.. seems like such a massive pain in the ass.

started a low level run, just upgraded my str and dex enough to use an uchigatana because I love that weapon. I should probably get the dragon crest shield before attempting the gargoyles again.. lol I'm not cut out for a low level run, shit is hard.

Frank

Been playing a bit of Demon's Souls these last couple of days because after so much Dark Souls I wanted to refresh and separate more clearly the Demon's experience.

And two things became apparent quite fast.

I'll go through it all again. Damn game, so good.

And, it's beautifully noisy with the other players, moreso then Dark Souls. White ghosts evrywhere! I forgot how good it feels to catch your breath before a boss fog door, the eyes of the creature waiting for you glowing ahead, and suddenly see a white phantom push through the door beside you. And then, another. You smile and you push through too. A good fight is waiting!

But. A lot less luck at summoning anyone. Been playing pretty much alone so far. Which matches my initial playthrough, but not my wants. I haven't tried much putting my sign down though, next on the list.

And I went for Flamelurker as soon as I could :) Needed a good dose of heart attack paranoia and he's one of the best to-go in the series so far.

Edit. Actually, I'm confused now. There's ghosts at the boss doors too in DkS, right? :/ It's one of those high traffic areas where you see the ghosts easily. Anyway, here -- they're evryfuckinwhere.

I had a weird message pop-up today.

I am in Andor Lando and I went into the Great Hall where there are two huge guards. I got a message come up on screen which was rather odd (can't remember what it said now!). I am not Human and it wasn't from a red message on the ground.

Is that a normal thing? Was it from the huge guards in that room?

Oh, I have a Lightning Claymore +1 now, it's sick.

sikkinixx

A couple of things:

Your pyromancy flame is not affected by ANY stat. It might say it scales with intelligence on one of the menus, but it's only for the melee attack which you will probably never even use. The power of the flame can be upgraded by pyromancy trainers, one of which you can encounter in the area after lower undead burg.

And you shouldn't really spend your humanity all the time. You only lose the "loaded" humanities (number in the upper left corner) when you die. I'd make sure to spend them by reverse hollowing/kindling bonfires. I wouldn't use them just to heal yourself just yet.

Those soul pickups are just worth a certain # of souls. when you use them you'll get that number added to your soul count. So, it's safest to use them in front of a bonfire/merchant/whatever when you want to spend the souls.

Ahh thanks! I didn't know if I should be using those soul gems or not to level up/buy stuff.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It blows my mind that a game can have great multiplayer, and terrible multiplayer at the same time.

ixix

I had a weird message pop-up today.

I am in Andor Lando and I went into the Great Hall where there are two huge guards. I got a message come up on screen which was rather odd (can't remember what it said now!). I am not Human and it wasn't from a red message on the ground.

Is that a normal thing? Was it from the huge guards in that room?

Oh, I have a Lightning Claymore +1 now, it's sick.

It's probably
the Black Eye Stone vibrating. If you use it you'll invade Lautrec's world, and if you kill him you'll get the Firelink Fire Keeper's soul. If you don't use it to upgrade your flask you can take it to Firelink and use it on her cage to revive her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom