• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably
the Black Eye Stone vibrating. If you use it you'll invade Lautrec's world, and if you kill him you'll get the Firelink Fire Keeper's soul. If you don't use it to upgrade your flask you can take it to Firelink and use it on her cage to revive her.

Oh that sounds quite important, I noticed she was dead last time I went back. So is Lautrec another boss in addition to whatever is at the end of Andor? I was considering joining the Covenant at the end of this level (Princess), would killing Lautrec affect that?

J-Roderton

So I'm exploring around Blighttown, trying to find out where the hell to go, and I find this huge parasite thing stuck on the wall. My guide book just says kill it. Well arrows are doing 0 damage to it. So I find a tunnel the leads to a ladder down that lets me walk right up to the bastard and slashing it with my sword is doing 0 damage. I assume its blocking my path. So how do I kill this thing?

So I'm exploring around Blighttown, trying to find out where the hell to go, and I find this huge parasite thing stuck on the wall. My guide book just says kill it. Well arrows are doing 0 damage to it. So I find a tunnel the leads to a ladder down that lets me walk right up to the bastard and slashing it with my sword is doing 0 damage. I assume its blocking my path. So how do I kill this thing?

I used hard attack (R2 on PS3) with my Claymore to damage its tummy (coming from the circular pit behind). I couldn't kill it with arrows either.

J-Roderton

I used hard attack (R2 on PS3) with my Claymore to damage its tummy (coming from the circular pit behind). I couldn't kill it with arrows either.

Okay, I'll go back and try that. It's strange, because it wasn't even showing that my shots were making any damage. No meter or anything.

Also, this new Shadow set I found is awesome.

MMaRsu

Fire

lunlunqq

Okay, I'll go back and try that. It's strange, because it wasn't even showing that my shots were making any damage. No meter or anything.

Also, this new Shadow set I found is awesome.

you are doing damage. it's just that its health bar is displayed so high above it, when you are locked onto it you cannot see it. it's weak against fire. use fire-based attack will make it much faster.

roxya

Oh that sounds quite important, I noticed she was dead last time I went back. So is Lautrec another boss in addition to whatever is at the end of Andor? I was considering joining the Covenant at the end of this level (Princess), would killing Lautrec affect that?

He is more of a side quest and you can wait and do it later if you want. He doesn't affect anything.

God. Damnit. I've never been so intimidated/daunted by a game before. I started yesterday, beat the first demon after dying about 15 times and now it seems I'm just running around into different, yet equally impassable groups of skeletons with a massive bird spectating.

This game is so proudly reluctant to hold your hand and I respect it for that, but I really don't know if I can handle it. I mean, I'm half an hour in and I'm already losing my shit (this probably also speaks volumes for how "hand-holdy" video games are today).

Anyway, any broad tips? I was told to go into this game knowing as little as possible and I'd prefer it that way; I don't want to have to come into this thread screaming "HELP!" at the top of my lungs every 20 minutes, but it's kind of seeming that way.

Grazie.

Yo Gotti

Banned
God. Damnit. I've never been so intimidated/daunted by a game before. I started yesterday, beat the first demon after dying about 15 times and now it seems I'm just running around into different, yet equally impassable groups of skeletons with a massive bird spectating.

This game is so proudly reluctant to hold your hand and I respect it for that, but I really don't know if I can handle it. I mean, I'm half an hour in and I'm already losing my shit (this probably also speaks volumes for how "hand-holdy" video games are today).

Anyway, any broad tips? I was told to go into this game knowing as little as possible and I'd prefer it that way; I don't want to have to come into this thread screaming "HELP!" at the top of my lungs every 20 minutes, but it's kind of seeming that way.

Grazie.

If you're running into enemies that you can't beat, try going back and trying a different path.

Grazie.

Engage one enemy at a time and don't mash attack. Keep your shield up and only let it down when you need to recover stamina. Let the enemy make the first move as they are usually hyper aggressive. Then they are open for attack.

Grazie.

OK, the Skeleton route is super tough, I've been playing the game for 50 hours now and I still haven't tackled that area. Head up the steps to Undead Burg. The skeletons are super hard bastards!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Does STR effect the damage of a weapon if it doesn't have any modifier?

I'm trying to tweak this int build and I have 50 int but the damage on the moonlight sword seems like less than it should be.

OK, the Skeleton route is super tough, I've been playing the game for 50 hours now and I still haven't tackled that area. Head up the steps to Undead Burg. The skeletons are super hard bastards!

Wait until you get tho the point that this game is your bitch, well until some of the bosses in NG+ and above.

Arken2121

Is it just me or is the multiplayer still a little bugged? I'm going on my 2nd play through on a new toon and i'm getting invaded by people who have armor and weapons late game while i'm still level 9. Is this intended?

Ill Saint

Is it just me or is the multiplayer still a little bugged? I'm going on my 2nd play through on a new toon and i'm getting invaded by people who have armor and weapons late game while i'm still level 9. Is this intended?

It's not a bug, but it is a pretty big problem, unfortunately. People have started making low level builds with maxed-out late level gear to grief new players. It's not difficult to do with an ascended pyro flame, master key, and good knowledge of where to go to get the right gear. Fucking stupid, but some people get their jollies from it.

sikkinixx

Grazie.

I kinda caved in and read a wiki. Not a walkthrough but just an idea of all the mechanics (classes, abilities, stat meanings, how flasks work, etc.) and I feel a bit better. I'm not very far but I agree it's fucking tense. I just go really really slow!

Arken2121

It's not a bug, but it is a pretty big problem, unfortunately. People have started making low level builds with maxed-out late level gear to grief new players. It's not difficult to do with an ascended pyro flame, master key, and good knowledge of where to go to get the right gear. Fucking stupid, but some people get their jollies from it.

You're telling me. I like to keep myself alive and connected for the "extra" challenge but this out of control.

tc farks

I can't trade with Hawk Girl. I drop my item in her nest, then I just pick the item back up. Yet the trades never work and I just pick my original item back up. What's going on?

I'm pre-patch btw, if that matters.

ETA: Also, the game won't even let me drop blooming purple moss clump.

Ill Saint

I can't trade with Hawk Girl. I drop my item in her nest, then I just pick the item back up. Yet the trades never work and I just pick my original item back up. What's going on?

I'm pre-patch btw, if that matters.

Drop item in the nest, quit, reload, and your new item will be waiting for you to grab. If you can't drop something it might be because you have it equiped.

I'm beaten. I definitely see the potential beauty in this game, but I'm too jaded and frustrated to uncover it. I just made my way through Undead Burg only to be burnt to a crisp out of nowhere by some huge fucking dragon. I don't think that's fair at all.

So, yeah. I tried. It's just way too full-on for me. On a positive note, the music that plays whilst you make your character is very awesome.

Ill Saint

I just made my way through Undead Burg only to be burnt to a crisp out of nowhere by some huge fucking dragon. I don't think that's fair at all.

Heheheh. The true Dark Souls starts here!
I hope you come back to it in the future. It's an immensely rewarding game.

CatPee

I'm beaten. I definitely see the potential beauty in this game, but I'm too jaded and frustrated to uncover it. I just made my way through Undead Burg only to be burnt to a crisp out of nowhere by some huge fucking dragon. I don't think that's fair at all.

So, yeah. I tried. It's just way too full-on for me. On a positive note, the music that plays whilst you make your character is very awesome.

Uhhh...

Hide behind the little wall by the staircase, wait for it to jump down, then run to the bonfire.

Uhhh...

Hide behind the little wall by the staircase, wait for it to jump down, then run to the bonfire.

Haha. Dude. I was witnessing my body writhe in flames before the dragon even came into view. If being a clairvoyant is a prerequisite for playing this game, then I simpy don't qualify.

UFRA

Finally, I just got my END to where I want it so I can use some weapons of mine without having to use Havel's Ring.

Now, at Level 109, I can finally proceed with Lost Izalith and then finish the game lolol....

Still on my first playthrough. :D

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Haha. Dude. I was witnessing my body writhe in flames before the dragon even came into view. If being a clairvoyant is a prerequisite for playing this game, then I simpy don't qualify.

That dragon fire death is not very typical of the game in general. Usually you will see the thing that kills you before it kills you.

If you can make it to the staircase on the right, you'll be able to open a shortcut from the first bonfire in the Burg straight to that dragon bridge. You also don't have to kill the dragon to proceed.

Before you give up entirely, consider looking at a walkthrough or faq for some clarification about your potential goals at any given time. The game is still fun and rewarding even if you're not completely ignorant of what's going on.

mxgt

Banned

That's literally the only cheap death I've encountered so far and I've now played almost 50 hours.

In any case I picked it back up tonight after some days off to play The Old Republic. Beat Seath after a few deaths learning how he operates and also got Gravelord Sword to +5, it's pretty rad.

sixghost

Did you guys realize there is a hidden path behind the first Butcher in the Depths? You drop down, and it brings you to the ledge above the area where you fight the giant rat. It makes that fight incredibly easy because you get a free plunging strike, and then you can slide down the waterfall and you're practically at the gaping dragon.

lol, the bridge dragon is such a dick move on FROMs part, especially because it's right after the taurus demon and such a long way away from the bonfire. You can open up a shortcut down to the undead burg bonfire if you make it to the staircase in the middle of that bridge, don't let the dragon win. For future reference though, that's the only super-cheap death like that in the game.

tc farks

The dragon on the bridge early on was definitely cheap. When I first got the game and was struggling to get through the Burg, it was pretty deflating to die from a giant flame I couldn't avoid. I think it happened 3 times before I finally got to the staircase alive. I wanted to punt the game out the window.

80+ hours later and I have to force myself to quit to get adequate sleep.

New update: So, I travelled into the Depths area, fought the crazy butcher and died at the giant rat in the sewers. Tried again, found a side entrance, wich lead me to a water monster thing that hangs around the ceiling and likes to drop on you. Then I made it to another bonfire using the master key. Guess Ill be spending the next few hours in the sewers.

Any tips on clearing the sewers?

Wallachia

Awh dude!?! Don't quit yet! As stated, get to that staircase on the dragon bridge. Get to the lower sections of the Burg. The rewards this game yields for perseverence, are the best I've experienced since CV: SotN. Have you gone into human form yet and summoned other players to help you? That is imperative, and one of the coolest aspects..

"Never give up.."
- Altered Beast

Wallachia

New update: So, I travelled into the Depths area, fought the crazy butcher and died at the giant rat in the sewers. Tried again, found a side entrance, wich lead me to a water monster thing that hangs around the ceiling and likes to drop on you. Then I made it to another bonfire using the master key. Guess Ill be spending the next few hours in the sewers.

Stock up on humanity, find the boss at the bottom, summon help. Use ranged attacks and lightning weapon.

mxgt

Banned

The boss isn't too hard but be wary of the basilisks, they can curse you quite easily. they look like mutated frogs

Wallachia

The dragon on the bridge early on was definitely cheap. When I first got the game and was struggling to get through the Burg, it was pretty deflating to die from a giant flame I couldn't avoid. I think it happened 3 times before I finally got to the staircase alive. I wanted to punt the game out the window.

80+ hours later and I have to force myself to quit to get adequate sleep.

I'm always relieved to read that I'm not the only addicted hollow.

PS. That undead female merchant with the crush STILL creeps my shit out... "Ohh you left me high and dry for a while there dearie.."

Dresden

Thinking about using the transfer-item glitch thing to make Ornstein and run him through NG from the start, helping people along the way. I wonder how his spear stacks up later on; it sure looks fucking cool.

Wool

So what's the deal with being invaded by the Darkmoon Covenant? I was in Dark Anor Londo for about 2 hours just to get invaded and have some PvP, and I was only invaded by red phantoms, probably 12-15 altogether. Was I just unlucky or are there special conditions that need to be met? Both Gwynevere and Gwyndolin are dead. It doesn't really make a difference to me whether they are red or blue, but I thought it was odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom