• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxgt

Banned
So what's the deal with being invaded by the Darkmoon Covenant? I was in Dark Anor Londo for about 2 hours just to get invaded and have some PvP, and I was only invaded by red phantoms, probably 12-15 altogether. Was I just unlucky or are there special conditions that need to be met? Both Gwynevere and Gwyndolin are dead. It doesn't really make a difference to me whether they are red or blue, but I thought it was odd.

I was in Darkmoon covenant before I switched to Gravelord and I found it really hard finding anyone to invade :|

Always got failed to invade messages

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So what's the deal with being invaded by the Darkmoon Covenant? I was in Dark Anor Londo for about 2 hours just to get invaded and have some PvP, and I was only invaded by red phantoms, probably 12-15 altogether. Was I just unlucky or are there special conditions that need to be met? Both Gwynevere and Gwyndolin are dead. It doesn't really make a difference to me whether they are red or blue, but I thought it was odd.

They can invade you at will if you kill the princess. (you have to make anor londo dark)

Otherwise they invade based off of guilty people in the book of indictment.

I'm about to switch from darkwraith to darkmoon, but I want to be able to keep using this dark hand. It's a great magic shield.

Mephala

New update: So, I travelled into the Depths area, fought the crazy butcher and died at the giant rat in the sewers. Tried again, found a side entrance, wich lead me to a water monster thing that hangs around the ceiling and likes to drop on you. Then I made it to another bonfire using the master key. Guess Ill be spending the next few hours in the sewers.

Any tips on clearing the sewers?

Deeper down there are these creepy little enemies with bulging eyes. They look kind of furry, like dogs. In any case, they don't really hurt, instead they spit out smoke which causes a status known as Curse. AVOID SMOKE. When you enter the smoke the status bar will build up just like all the other statuses and if you're careful it won't be a problem, just do not get careless. By far the most depressing status to suffer if unprepared. Also can be a bitch to cure.

In one of the earlier rooms with the butchers, there is an NPC stuck in a barrel. Roll into him to free him, don't swing your weapon.

Before killing the boss, if you run around the sewers as a human you will be invaded by an NPC red phantom. He'll invade twice more later and give some goodies. If you're worried about getting invaded by humans you can do this whilst offline.

Some boss tips. You can summon both Solaire and Lautrec to help. The boss is slow and has a lot of HP, just be patient and wittle him away, pretty easy. You can get an item to drop by attacking its tail until it comes off. Having allies makes this a little easier but isn't hard without them. Also,
kill the mage upstairs before fighting the boss

J-Roderton

Did you make it to Quelaags cave yet? And lol at your post along with your avatar. that combo made me laugh :)

Yeah. Knocked that out tonight. took a few tries to kill her too. Just made it to Sen's Fortress. Feels like the game is finally picking up.

As far as blighttown goes, i Never want to go back to that hell hole again. Lol

Andor Lando has some mad shit going on. I am at the boss door area now but to be honest I think I might hang around for a while. I still can't kill the headless/legless demon in the room yet - he's really tough right now, much tougher than the one at the entrance to Dark Root (although that might be because of the tight space)

I noticed that the two huge guards in the Great Hall not only respawn, but they shit out 3k each and also drop Titan Chunks! I was carrying my Gold Serpant Ring which probably helped, but still. Lightning Claymore +4 here I come :)

Also, I found a Great Bow (!!) by a window but my DEX isn't high enough to use it yet, so I think that's my next mission. I've spent so much time getting STRENGTH up that I've kinda ignored DEX side of things.

I never got into World of Warcraft because I knew it would suck up my life, and now I've gone and done it with Dark Souls anyway :)

notenoughhoursintheday.

Soulhouf

I had many strange behaviors lately in the forest (in the covenant area).
- When I was trying to invade someone as a blade of the darkmoon, the invasion worked but I was a normal red phantom instead and I gained a humanity instead of a souvenir of reprisal.
- I placed my white summon sign and instead of being summoned as a friendly phantom, I was a red hostile phantom in the host's world. But the most weird thing was when I placed my white summon sign a message poped saying that I was invading as a dark spirit but when I arrived in the host's world, a message told me that the host returned home (wtf) and I was disconnected. This happened to me many times. What the fuck is going on?

mxgt

Banned
Damn, Brass Armor looks amazing. best looking set I've found so far

Also lightning gargoyle halberd+4 with hornet ring produces some absurd backstab/parry damage

Audioboxer

Any point in pumping DEX over 50 on my thief? Using a +15 iaito just now. Pretty decent damage.

Got Priscillas dagger for the first time ever, don't know if it works out better than a bandits knife for backstabs.

Using the armour that gives lots of bleed resistance, it's very light, looks like ninja armour. My reasoning behind this was fast roll, but also because I'm going to wield priscillas scythe and I think it hits you with bleed damage each time you use it.

Any tips on where to go next for a dex char? First time playing as one

IMG_20111219_115447.jpg

I'm just thinking more vit?

Tomodachi

My LVL23 sorceress just got invaded by a player who punched me to death (single blow) wearing ornstein's armor and the ring of stamina regeneration (i can't recall the name right now) . Good times.

Tomodachi

which stats affect movement? Can't you do backflips?
Endurance, since it affects equip load. There are three speeds, very fast if you're equip load is below 25% of your maximum (affected by endurance, one point per endurance point), fast if it's between 25% and 50%, slow if it's above 50% (you can't run nor roll if you're above 100%).
Also, your rolling and recovering speed is affected by this parameter. You can easily understand in which range you are by rolling: if you immediately stand up you're below 25%, if you lose a bit of time recovering you're in the middle range, if the controller vibrates while you're rolling you're above 50%.

edbrat

eh help me DaS GAF, on my third character, made a glass cannon focussing almost purely on Int - lvl 50 and I put pretty much every point from starting as a pyro into Int save a few into Str and Dex to enable me to one hand the moonlight greatsword. As a result I hit like a truck with magic but so much as fart in my direction and I'm in trouble, exciting build though.

Four kings are kicking my ass - what would be a good strategy? Went lightweight to try and dodge and deal damage and I just cannot stay alive long enough. Keep getting grabbed and wasted. Iron Flesh presumably is no longer viable, is there anything else I could try with my build or should I just stick 20 levels into Vit and try again?

Soulhouf

eh help me DaS GAF, on my third character, made a glass cannon focussing almost purely on Int - lvl 50 and I put pretty much every point from starting as a pyro into Int save a few into Str and Dex to enable me to one hand the moonlight greatsword. As a result I hit like a truck with magic but so much as fart in my direction and I'm in trouble, exciting build though.

Four kings are kicking my ass - what would be a good strategy? Went lightweight to try and dodge and deal damage and I just cannot stay alive long enough. Keep getting grabbed and wasted. Iron Flesh presumably is no longer viable, is there anything else I could try with my build or should I just stick 20 levels into Vit and try again?
According to your description, you lack stamina. If you are still rocking with your initial stamina stats, you can't do much in close combat.

tc farks

I got pretty lucky with titanite chunk drops in New Londo. I read that the darkwraith titanite chunk drops are rare but I got 3 of them. Then lo and behold there's a chest in the corner of the room with 1 more. Go down to the Abyss, almost beat the 4 Kings on my 1st try. Seemed like there was more than 4 of them though. But in failure I went back to the Asylum and got the titanite slab from the Stray Demon. Lighting Claymore +5 is a beauitful thing.

Those kings don't stand a chance later today.

Will then go get a taste of the Catacombs.

I got pretty lucky with titanite chunk drops in New Londo. I read that the darkwraith titanite chunk drops are rare but I got 3 of them. Then lo and behold there's a chest in the corner of the room with 1 more. Go down to the Abyss, almost beat the 4 Kings on my 1st try. Seemed like there was more than 4 of them though. But in failure I went back to the Asylum and got the titanite slab from the Stray Demon. Lighting Claymore +5 is a beauitful thing.

Nice. I have just upgraded my Claymore to Lightning +4 and it's fooking SWEET. I am not sure what to go for when it comes to a Divine weapon. I have a butchers "axe" (from The Depths) which is pretty rad. I almost feel bad for not trying out other weapons but I just love the Claymore, it's badass!

Might go and try the Asylum boss myself soon, is he a toughie?

Are Crystal weapons worth it? Perhaps just for boss fights due to lack of durability. The crazy thing is any weapon can be turned in any way you like which is awesome, but daunting!

tc farks

Nice. I have just upgraded my Claymore to Lightning +4 and it's fooking SWEET. I am not sure what to go for when it comes to a Divine weapon. I have a butchers "axe" (from The Depths) which is pretty rad. I almost feel bad for not trying out other weapons but I just love the Claymore, it's badass!

Might go and try the Asylum boss myself soon, is he a toughie?

For my divine weapon I downgraded the occult club you find in Anor Lando
in the fireplace
. Makes it divine +5 and seems decent enough, haven't tried it yet.

And yeah the stray demon is tough. He has massive range, so getting right up on him 2-handing your weapon is a great strategy. He will then jump up in the air and you will need to book it away from him.

I have my Eagle Shield at +7 and I found out I can actually block his hits. As a sorcerer, this allowed me to stay back and absord his ranged melee attacks, hit him with some homing crystal spells and like usual I finish them off with the Claymore. Makes things a little more personal and satisfying.

tc farks

I've never made a crystal weapon but I also don't plan on it, due to not being able to repair them. I did go through all of Big Hat Logan's story, so I can just cast crystal magic weapon if the need arises.

Saya

I can't get enough of this game. I'm flying through NG++ now. Killed Gwyn on my first try in NG+ too. Once you figure out his attacks and openings he's a piece of cake. Just rang the first bell again and killed the Capra demon. Just need to make the cursed great sword and then I'll have all trophies too... Feels good :)

The only thing I'm a bit bummed about is that the diffference in amount of souls you get from killing enemies from NG+ to NG++ is not so big... seems about the same?

EasyMode

The Iron Flesh plus Stone/Havel's armor strategy is viable even at level 1 with the latest patch.
Maybe bring along the Crest Shield to block that homing magic attack they do from a distance. Also, don't forget that you can damage them even after you "kill" one. Just keep attacking even though it's vanishing.

I've never made a crystal weapon but I also don't plan on it, due to not being able to repair them. I did go through all of Big Hat Logan's story, so I can just cast crystal magic weapon if the need arises.

Oh oh, I rescued someone called Big Hat Logan from a prison cage, does he have his own quests I can do now?

What is the club called? Is it hidden behind a fireplace?

edbrat

According to your description, you lack stamina. If you are still rocking with your initial stamina stats, you can't do much in close combat.

it is v low, so in my attempts so far I rocked the grass crest shield and munched some green grass stuff before jumping in, would this not address my puny END sufficiently?

edbrat

The Iron Flesh plus Stone/Havel's armor strategy is viable even at level 1 with the latest patch.
Maybe bring along the Crest Shield to block that homing magic attack they do from a distance. Also, don't forget that you can damage them even after you "kill" one. Just keep attacking even though it's vanishing.

mmm thanks I will have a go with iron flesh then if I can't make any progress tonight, all the ranged attacks and the close up hug screw me up, I do ok dodging the slashes.

lunlunqq

Oh oh, I rescued someone called Big Hat Logan from a prison cage, does he have his own quests I can do now?

yes, he is the trainer for advanced Sorceries and you get a few very good pieces of socery equipment if you follow his quest line to the end.

tc farks

I would suggest checking out the Big Hat Logan Wiki page if you're interested. Because it gets a little extensive. I'm assuming you just got him out of Sen's Fortress? and he will be at Firelink Shrine now. There's still plenty more to do concerning him once you reach the Anor Lando area and eventually open up Duke's Archives. It's a must do if you're a mage build.

Yes, and its been upgraded to an occult club already. Just take it to the Giant Blacksmith (any blacksmith works) and downgrade it. Goes from occult to divine +5.

tc farks

I'm pre-patch, and I had forgotten to grab the antiquated skirt after saving Dusk of Oolacile. Rocking the Big Hat Logan's armor set I substituted the skirt in and it works perfectly. I don't even have to look like a fairy lady.

I would suggest checking out the Big Hat Logan Wiki page if you're interested. Because it gets a little extensive. I'm assuming you just got him out of Sen's Fortress? and he will be at Firelink Shrine now. There's still plenty more to do concerning him once you reach the Anor Lando area and eventually open up Duke's Archives. It's a must do if you're a mage build.

Yes, and its been upgraded to an occult club already. Just take it to the Giant Blacksmith (any blacksmith works) and downgrade it. Goes from occult to divine +5.

Cheers. I am at the boss door in Anor Lando, not seen anything to do with him there. Or will I need to activate the quest for him first? Obviously not been back there yet as I went straight to Anor after Sen's.

Sullichin

I have never made myself human. Am I missing out?

Well for one, you cant kindle bonfires unless you're human. So for that reason alone, yes. You're also missing out on NPC summons/summoning help from others/being invaded by nerds who are decked with crazy equipment but keep their levels low. Sometimes the game is easier as a hollow so you don't have to deal with the phantoms.

Sullichin

Definitely this. The game is NEVER illogical or cheap. Just use your eyes and your brain at all times (something other games really never ask us to).

Yeah, and it's also very similar to a part in Demons Souls. If you walk slowly up to where the bridge is scorched, and then start sprinting, you'll survive. Sometimes it's possible to do this without the dragon even attacking.

Wool

Really? Nobody has any thoughts about this?

I have no idea about that, but I'm curious about those big goblet looking things on the platform right behind the one you are one. The stairs go down a little bit, then they drop off. It seems like they could be multiplayer statistics like the Nexus had in Demon's, but there is no way to get there.

Try using the pendant!

tc farks

Cheers. I am at the boss door in Anor Lando, not seen anything to do with him there. Or will I need to activate the quest for him first? Obviously not been back there yet as I went straight to Anor after Sen's.

After you beat S&O and get/place the Lordvessel you will open up the Duke's Archives area. Which is to your left of the bonfire in Anor Lando. You will run into him there.

How do you make a Crystal weapon? When I made my Lightning Claymore it didn't ask me if I wanted to make it Crystal, but the path looks the same:

smaller-guide.jpg

Different Blacksmith? I am in Anor Lando.

Sullichin

I'd love to see an improved / streamlined weapon upgrading system in the next game. Crystal weapons are a useless path, and I still see no reason to make an occult weapon. it's also nearly impossible to figure out how to upgrade weapons without outside help. It could really do with some better explanation. I would also like if most of the boss weapons didn't suck.

mxgt

Banned

They aren't really rare. With an optimal route, serpent ring and some humanity you can get 2-3 every few mins.

It's the damn slabs that are extremely rare. Luckily I got one off a pesky crystal lizard to get my lightning garg halberd to +5

tc farks

It didn't seem like they were rare. But that's what the wiki said. It also mentioned slab drops as very rare.

I was just happy because I wasn't using the ring, had no humanity consumed, and was actually avoiding a bunch of those darkwraith knights because I just wanted to get to the Abyss.

The stray demon having a 100% drop rate for the slab is great. Doing the storyline for Catarina is a ship that has long sailed. I probably will not have another fully upgraded weapon unless I get a very lucky drop.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'd love to see an improved / streamlined weapon upgrading system in the next game. Crystal weapons are a useless path, and I still see no reason to make an occult weapon. it's also nearly impossible to figure out how to upgrade weapons without outside help. It could really do with some better explanation. I would also like if most of the boss weapons didn't suck.

They don't all suck. Moonlight Greatsword is awesome.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
For the Catacombs, does any weapon with a Divine score work or does it have to be a "Divine" weapon? Like, does Astora's Straight Sword work or should I just use this Divine Club +5 I made by rolling back the Occult Club?

Figuring what's worth it. My faith is only +8 so don't know if I want to take the time to make it 14 to use that sword.

I tried to do New Londo but was having a hard time on too many Darkwraiths, so figured I'd try another area and do that later

Sullichin

They don't all suck. Moonlight Greatsword is awesome.

Yeah pick the one that I never got. :p

Still, there seems to be tons of useless/nearly useless ones.

For the Catacombs, does any weapon with a Divine score work or does it have to be a "Divine" weapon? Like, does Astora's Straight Sword work or should I just use this Divine Club +5 I made by rolling back the Occult Club?

Figuring what's worth it. My faith is only +8 so don't know if I want to take the time to make it 14 to use that sword.

I tried to do New Londo but was having a hard time on too many Darkwraiths, so figured I'd try another area and do that later

not sure about Astora's straight sword, but the divine club will be fine. The skeletons don't have a crazy amount of health so you don't need a beastly weapon. And really, it's only for your first trip there. Once you kill the necromancers you can use whatever weapon you want. I probably wouldn't waste stats you wouldn't use otherwise just to pump up Astora's Straight Sword.

Dresden

anything with a divine score works. THe divine club +5 works perfectly well for that place though.

Sullichin

The beginning of Anor Londo by the first bonfire?

most of the pvp action in my experience has taken place in the room before O&S / the interior rooms leading up to that. If your Anor Londo is dark, you can't rest at that first bonfire; and if its Dark, you probably did so to get invaded. Also if your Anor Londo is dark, you can summon white phantoms again at the second bonfire (although they might be leaving their sign assuming they'll be placed in a game to co-op O&S)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom