• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you're wondering why you don't do any damage? Go into inventory, press X on Drake Sword, select Drop and never look back. Then get a decent weapon. Drake Sword doesn't scale with anything, meaning that it doesn't improve as you level up and only gets slightly better when you waste 10000 souls on it and some rare dragon scales.

You should have the Large Ember by now. Go buy Large Titanite Shards from the vendor at the top of Sen's, 10 of them, and 10 normal shards. You're doing Pyromancy so you have rather high dexterity, right? Upgrade any weapon with a good move set (Uchigatana, Balder Side Sword, Longsword, any spear, Claymore) to +10 and you'll kick ass.

Drake Sword tops out at 300 damage and that's with wasting 10 dragon scales and 50k souls. I'd guess it does around 240-260 for you now.

Balder Side Sword at +10 does 160 PLUS a rather nice bonus depending on your dex. If you then improve it to +5 Lightning (after Anor Londo and a visit to Asylum) you do 220 plus 224 lightning damage, which is well worth it unless your dexterity is around 40.

Uchigatana at +10 does 180 damage plus scaling, and then 247 plus 252 at +5 Lightning.

Personally, I don't think Greatsword of Artorias is worth the crazy requirements. To use it you need to waste levels on raising all stats, something the rest of the game doesn't encourage. Getting any spare weapon to +5 and then getting it to +5 Divine is quite enough to deal with the Catacombs.

I'm using a +5 divine reinforced club in the Catacombs at the moment on my SL1 character and it's 1-shotting the skeletons with two handed R2 attack. Don't need anything more than that - once you kill the necromancers you don't need a divine weapon, so start upgrading something else decent now, like SiegfriedFM says.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You should have the Large Ember by now. Go buy Large Titanite Shards from the vendor at the top of Sen's, 10 of them, and 10 normal shards. You're doing Pyromancy so you have rather high dexterity, right?

Not really... it's... 13?

Sullichin

Not really... it's... 13?

You can use the uchigatana at 14 DEX, that's a good one. But really take any weapon you like and upgrade that as much as you can and you'll be better off than the shitty Drake Sword. It's terrible -- it's strong in the beginning of the game so it seems good, but then its usefulness drops off sharply, as you're seeing with Sif. If you don't want to utilize stat scaling you can keep the minimum requirements for the weapons and then make it a lightning weapon later - or take it to +5 and make it a fire weapon in the catacombs, which you can go to at any time.

I really recommend against the greatsword of artorias. You need tons of points in the scaling stats for it to be worthwhile. If you're just hovering near the minimum requirements the sword is going to be seriously underwhelming. Like others have said any old divine weapon will do in the catacombs. You can basically craft one for free in Anor Londo anyway. And if you kill the necromancers you don't need a divine weapon. I wouldn't base your main weapon choice on that.. greatsword of artorias is a big investment for it to be worthwhile.

Anyone wanting to join me on ps3 I would be happy to taje you instead of mildred...but you must agree to bring a SL1 character with no upgraded weapons or armour.

adepterik2

edit: oh yeah here is the strategy I used for farming resin form the daddy mushrooms..seeems to work efficiently:

I'm going to add you. I'd be down for taking out Quelaag.

SL1 Run - Wow, killed Nito first try!

I had problems in TotG getting one-hit killed by the skeledogs until I stopped trying melee and used pyromancy (had to go back to Blighttown to buy them because I still haven't killed Capra Demon to open the Depths). Got to the end of TotG and just thought might as well go for it and mentally wrote off the souls/humanity I had as a lost cause since Nito usually gives me a lot of trouble. Wish I hadn't killed Patches now, I thought there was no chance of getting him back at Firelink so just killed him (Rhea didn't appear also, I do remember I haven't seen her in Firelink yet - does going to the Depths trigger her?)

That stupid Taurus Demon on the first level keeps kicking the shit out of me...
Are you taking out the archers first? Go up the ladder, take them out, go down and trigger the Demon, then run back up the ladder and when he is underneath jump off and do a plunging attack like with the Asylum demon. You can also knock him off the bridge where the wall is broken, but I've never used that method personally. It helps to have co-op too, usually tons of signs outside the Undead Berg bonfire.

Pollux

Are you taking out the archers first? Go up the ladder, take them out, go down and trigger the Demon, then run back up the ladder and when he is underneath jump off and do a plunging attack like with the Asylum demon. You can also knock him off the bridge where the wall is broken, but I've never used that method personally. It helps to have co-op too, usually tons of signs outside the Undead Berg bonfire.

Huh...I'll give that method a try...thanks!

Hey guys, just wondering if you could tell me what the PS3 multiplayer community is like for this game at the minute? I've just bought myself a PS3 after selling my last one some time last year and I'm thinking about picking this title up.
Also, what's it like compared to Demons Souls? I've played that and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Hey guys, just wondering if you could tell me what the PS3 multiplayer community is like for this game at the minute? I've just bought myself a PS3 after selling my last one some time last year and I'm thinking about picking this title up.
Also, what's it like compared to Demons Souls? I've played that and enjoyed it thoroughly.
PS3 is still very active at all levels, dive in!

If you liked Demon's, you'll like Dark Souls - the combat and movement has been refined IMO. I think most will agree when I say Dark is easier, some of the level designs aren't quite as jaw-dropping as first working through all of Boletaria Palace etc, but still just as devilish and some great looking areas and level designs. The world is more or less one big world this time rather than 1-1,1-2,1-3, so there is a little more freedom and travel between areas rather than going to a central hub - the 'hub' is connected to the world this time, though you'll still hit a brickwall if you visit some areas too early first time.

No brainer really, get it now! :)

TheSeks

And you're wondering why you don't do any damage? Go into inventory, press X on Drake Sword, select Drop and never look back. Then get a decent weapon. Drake Sword doesn't scale with anything, meaning that it doesn't improve as you level up and only gets slightly better when you waste 10000 souls on it and some rare dragon scales.

You should have the Large Ember by now. Go buy Large Titanite Shards from the vendor at the top of Sen's, 10 of them, and 10 normal shards. You're doing Pyromancy so you have rather high dexterity, right? Upgrade any weapon with a good move set (Uchigatana, Balder Side Sword, Longsword, any spear, Claymore) to +10 and you'll kick ass.

Drake Sword tops out at 300 damage and that's with wasting 10 dragon scales and 50k souls. I'd guess it does around 240-260 for you now.

Balder Side Sword at +10 does 160 PLUS a rather nice bonus depending on your dex. If you then improve it to +5 Lightning (after Anor Londo and a visit to Asylum) you do 220 plus 224 lightning damage, which is well worth it unless your dexterity is around 40.

Uchigatana at +10 does 180 damage plus scaling, and then 247 plus 252 at +5 Lightning.

Personally, I don't think Greatsword of Artorias is worth the crazy requirements. To use it you need to waste levels on raising all stats, something the rest of the game doesn't encourage. Getting any spare weapon to +5 and then getting it to +5 Divine is quite enough to deal with the Catacombs.

Fat load of good that did. Lighting Spear or any other weapon does like 50 damage and then I get stamina killed and then proper killed.

And that's with summons.

Combustion requires too close for comfort (because of said stamina kill/being killed) casting.

So, basically I'm stuck and I'm going back to the Drake Sword and probably Anor Londo for now.

TheSeks

There, got a second Gargoyal Tail Axe. Upgraded that. It sucks. Upgraded a second Man-eating butcher sword, it sucks. :/

*sigh* Oh if only I could get that stupid wolfs soul for this build, I'd be in business...

There, got a second Gargoyal Tail Axe. Upgraded that. It sucks. Upgraded a second Man-eating butcher sword, it sucks. :/

*sigh* Oh if only I could get that stupid wolfs soul for this build, I'd be in business...

Upgrade the Gargoyle Halberd, it doesn't suck. It's one of my go to weapons now, and I'd highly recommend Fire/Lightning for it. Decent damage, great stat scaling, and relatively decent attack timings.

Don't forget about Quelaag's Fury Sword too (much better than Greatsword of Artorias), was one of my select weapons through three playthroughs. Remember fire has a tendency to own lots of things in this game.

Just out of curiosity...what's the first boss I'm supposed to fight after the Undead Asylum?

Undead Asylum =
Asylum Demon

If you return you fight the Stray Demon, which is a souped up Asylum Demon.

If you're talking about Undead Burg, then it normally goes
Taurus Demon, Gargoyles, Capra Demon.

Pollux

Undead Asylum =
Asylum Demon

If you return you fight the Stray Demon, which is a souped up Asylum Demon.

If you're talking about Undead Burg, then it normally goes
Taurus Demon, Gargoyles, Capra Demon.

Cool, thanks. I'm just making sure I'm on the right track.

PS3 is still very active at all levels, dive in!

If you liked Demon's, you'll like Dark Souls - the combat and movement has been refined IMO. I think most will agree when I say Dark is easier, some of the level designs aren't quite as jaw-dropping as first working through all of Boletaria Palace etc, but still just as devilish and some great looking areas and level designs. The world is more or less one big world this time rather than 1-1,1-2,1-3, so there is a little more freedom and travel between areas rather than going to a central hub - the 'hub' is connected to the world this time, though you'll still hit a brickwall if you visit some areas too early first time.

No brainer really, get it now! :)

Thanks for the info, Red :) It's pretty cheap where I live at the minute, and from what people are saying, £20 is well worth it.

TheSeks

Don't forget about Quelaag's Fury Sword too (much better than Greatsword of Artorias), was one of my select weapons through three playthroughs. Remember fire has a tendency to own lots of things in this game.

I'm guessing that's a drop, which I didn't get.

TheSeks

Where can I get more of that lighting enchancement item? I nearly had Sif to half health with this man-eater great sword with that used on it...

Where can I get more of that lighting enchancement item? I nearly had Sif to half health with this man-eater great sword with that used on it...

You can buy three from Domhnall of Zena (who should be in Firelink by now, or if not the Depths), or farm them from the mushroom men.

But charcoal pine resin should actually be more useful against Sif. And you can buy as much as you want.

TheSeks

You can buy three from Domhnall of Zena (who should be in Firelink by now, or if not the Depths), or farm them from the mushroom men.

But charcoal pine resin should actually be more useful against Sif. And you can buy as much as you want.

Then where do I get the Charcoals?

TheSeks

OMG I did it. Somehow Sif glitched out and I killed him with Pyromancies.

HOORAH. Now to get the sword this build says I should use. >_>

Mxrz

Those Artorias swords have 4 high stat reqs, if I remember right. Kind of derps the scaling. But with all the DMB glitching now, you can probably get obscene damage putting it on all the old unbuffable weapons.

Man, this game needs a patch.

TheSeks

Well, took me hours but reached the blacksmith and forged it. Now to grind the requirements to even USE it.

Jhoan

Finally after months of getting frustrated trying to get past the notorious Anor Londo archers, I did it by simply rolling twice and closing in on the idiot. I got the Fire Keeper's soul back, however since I took out Gwyndolin, I only have a Estus Flask+5. I'm guessing that I should use the Fire Keeper's soul there or take it back to the beginning?

I'm terrified of having to fight Ornstein and Smough. I've seeing videos and read tips, yet it still seems like it's going to be tough (I'm SL 82; 360 version). I know that a ton of people have suggested getting summoned to get a feel for them. What's the ideal equipment to take them on (I plan on taking out Smough first)? The Wiki page says to use the Stone Armor set (which I have), and a weapon with quick recovery. I'm a bit concerned that wearing that armor is going to get me destroyed.

Unfortunately, since I said no to joining the Forest covenant, I screwed myself over with the chance of getting the ring that lets one cartwheel/flip so this thing's going to be much harder. I suppose I'll have to make Quelaag's Furysword to stand a chance or use the Black Knight sword since the Lightning Spear's going to be useless.

well i came back to dark souls for the first time in months after getting cursed and nerd raging about it. i have not gotten uncursed but i'm confused on where i should go. i guess i could go back into the area with those frogs but is there another route i could take instead of that? i'm only at level 28 and i have the drake sword/spider shield. i see above someone said the drake sword sucks but its almost 3 times as powerful as the next weapon i have.

i think my character was a pyromancer, i can't remember. i have 2 attunement slots with 30/30 for the spirit spell and 8/8 for the fire sepll. i suppose if i have to go back into the sewers i will :/

TheSeks

Heh. Got told I'm useless by someone that summoned me after I said sorry. Well, uh, thanks, dude. I'm only 3 (well 6) levels away from the base requirement for the sword I'm going to use and was using you as a shield to help me grind souls. :(

Anor Lando's bosses hit hard. :(

well i came back to dark souls for the first time in months after getting cursed and nerd raging about it. i have not gotten uncursed but i'm confused on where i should go. i guess i could go back into the area with those frogs but is there another route i could take instead of that? i'm only at level 28 and i have the drake sword/spider shield. i see above someone said the drake sword sucks but its almost 3 times as powerful as the next weapon i have.

i think my character was a pyromancer, i can't remember. i have 2 attunement slots with 30/30 for the spirit spell and 8/8 for the fire sepll. i suppose if i have to go back into the sewers i will :/

The drake sword is a trap, it's good for early-game to mid-game but then it sucks and you begin to wish you were just upgrading some other weapon that you can just continue to upgrade. Upgrade some other weapon so it's good enough. You need to head to the UD female merchant (in the aqueduct) to get uncursed. Buy a couple extra ones if you can (they're kind of expensive if I remember right) and just avoid the frogs breath when you head back to the sewers. It's not that tough an area, worth finishing.

If I had the time, I'd make a chart of how the weapons scale as you progress through the game, and it would be all too obvious that Drake Sword is pretty much only useful up until Depths. This game lets you play any way you want, but if you're using it in Anor Londo you're simply doing it wrong.

If I had LOTS of time, I'd make a webpage dedicated to exposing this sword as the evil trap that it is.

Dresden

Artorias is a trap sword, that is a horrible weapon despite looking boss.

Also, I think TheSeks has fallen into the trap of trying to meet its stat reqs, which means that his stats are probably spread out in four different areas with no real focus.

Finally after months of getting frustrated trying to get past the notorious Anor Londo archers, I did it by simply rolling twice and closing in on the idiot. I got the Fire Keeper's soul back, however since I took out Gwyndolin, I only have a Estus Flask+5. I'm guessing that I should use the Fire Keeper's soul there or take it back to the beginning?

I'm terrified of having to fight Ornstein and Smough. I've seeing videos and read tips, yet it still seems like it's going to be tough (I'm SL 82; 360 version). I know that a ton of people have suggested getting summoned to get a feel for them. What's the ideal equipment to take them on (I plan on taking out Smough first)? The Wiki page says to use the Stone Armor set (which I have), and a weapon with quick recovery. I'm a bit concerned that wearing that armor is going to get me destroyed.

Unfortunately, since I said no to joining the Forest covenant, I screwed myself over with the chance of getting the ring that lets one cartwheel/flip so this thing's going to be much harder. I suppose I'll have to make Quelaag's Furysword to stand a chance or use the Black Knight sword since the Lightning Spear's going to be useless.
SL82 seems over-levelled for Orn & Smough, but you should still get summoned/find summon signs - I know on your first playthough it seems a good idea to plough souls into levelling up, but really upgrading your weapons is more important.

Don't worry about backtracking to upgrade Estus or join covenants now, once you kill Orn & Smough, you gain the ability to warp between selected bonfires, making easy a trip back to Firelink, and then to the Forest and Blighttown for the Dark Woodgrain Ring if you still want to. 5 Estus is kind of low, but if you're smart and conservative, you should be OK.

Orn & Smough both use lightning, so I assume they're highly resistant to it, and I always switch to a fire-based weapon for fighting them.

Soulhouf

Which stat are you invested in? Since you use pyromancy, it's good to go the dex path and there are some exceptional weapons for that stat. For example you have now access to Ushigatana, Balder Side sword, Iaito which are all awesome.

Otherwise did you try the Claymore or Zweihander? Even at +5 these 2 weapons will destroy your shitty Drake sword.

These are few examples of good weapons but there are really many of them. I don't understand how you say you didn't find any especially knowing you played Demon's Souls before.
This is I guess why I said previously Drake Sword is a big game design mistake. It prevents you from investing on weapon upgrade early in the game. I see many new players rocking the drake sword until they hit a wall.

TheSeks

Also, I think TheSeks has fallen into the trap of trying to meet its stat reqs, which means that his stats are probably spread out in four different areas with no real focus.

Nope. I'm already at the base minimum. Means I have to raise everything BUT attunement (did that quickly simply to get more spell slots) and resistance (since it hasn't been touched at ALL). I'm already at the minimum to carry that sword. So I just need to raise endurance (for better rolls), health (for more HP), and those stats and maybe maybe the magic/faith stats for the sword.

Well, have fun with the sword since you spent so much effort getting it. There are many other ways to go about it, but I guess there's always room for more alts.

TheSeks

In any case, Pinwheel was pretty easy with the sword. Five swipes and he died.
Of course, I used an AI summon and other player to aggro him/flip his AI out

Got the right of kindling. Maybe it's time to go back to Anor Londo and get the warp ability... Not sure I'd survive the Tomb of Giants pitch-black darkness.

TheSeks

And... O&S is kicking my ass. Tried a few times with summons. AI decides to ignore them and smack me around/trap me in a corner instead of dealing with them. Ugh.

Not due to lack of damage, it's more having to fight two of these bastards and one of them fully heals on the others death and becomes super asshole to kill me.

And... O&S is kicking my ass. Tried a few times with summons. AI decides to ignore them and smack me around/trap me in a corner instead of dealing with them. Ugh.

Not due to lack of damage, it's more having to fight two of these bastards and one of them fully heals on the others death and becomes super asshole to kill me.
the trick for soling is to keep both of them as close as you can. i find it easier to do this without locking on so you can keep an eye on both. their long range attacks are much nastier than their close range attacks. if you're doing it with other people, i find 1 person on each is the best strat.

TheSeks

That's if I can get them to focus on one of the others so me and another can get on the other. But as soon as I get through the gate they're on me and my summons start to wail on them to where they never pull aggro on them. Ugh.

You seem to have the right idea with O&S, just try again.

When I co-op, I usually see who the host is going for first - which probably means he wants to kill the other one last, so I draw the one they want last away and just dodge/block until the host and other co-op partner has killed the first dude - or I'll hack away if it looks like they're doing the opposite. It makes sense to only attack one and just pull the other one away from the action since their health tops back up when they go supersized. This starts at the door - split up - if all 3 of you are huddled together at the door, O&S will both come at you all and not separate.

If your co-op buddies aren't separating them, then let them concentrate on one of them and draw the other one away yourself - use a long range weapon/spell to aggro - it's easy to block/roll through their attacks until the other is dead.

Stay close and make sure that other one always infront of the other one. From there you can just back off and get a hit every now and then or just spam with pyromancies (or if you are feeling really lame-ish, poison arrows!).

That said, I still couldn't beat the lvl1 solo. Well I only tried six times and 4 of those times ended in seconds and other two Super Ornstein beat the me quickly. Whoops.

Sullichin

Poison Cloud doesn't work against them, does it?

I know you can poison/toxic them with poison throwing knives or dung pies so I assume poison cloud will work. It won't win the fight for you but I find it helpful for whittling down Super Ornstein's health in between attacks.

TheSeks

I know you can poison/toxic them with poison throwing knives or dung pies so I assume poison cloud will work. It won't win the fight for you but I find it helpful for whittling down Super Ornstein's health in between attacks.

:( I just need to beat these bastards so I can zip around the bonfires.

Booshka

:( I just need to beat these bastards so I can zip around the bonfires.

It sounds like you are constantly looking ahead to what is next instead of enjoying what is right in front of you. S & O is one of the best boss fights in the game and you should be enjoying the challenge of the fight. Think up strategy on how to beat them and learn from your failures so you are elated when you do finally beat them. If you keep thinking of the game as a chore until you get everything you need for some build you looked up on the internet, you may miss the fun that's hitting you right in your face.

Pakkidis

Alright, I'm about to do my second playthrough of the game. My first time I was a badass Knight now I want to play as a sorcerer.

1) What is the difference between catalyst, why is one better than another for casting magic?

2) What weapon do you recommend, keeping in mind, INT will be my highest stat. I want to be able to do damage with my weapon but also rely on spells as well.

3) What covenant should I join, keeping in mind I'm playing offline.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom