• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakkidis

Doing my sorcerer second run and I'm very underwhelemed by magic in this game. Areas that I should be clearing quickly, I'm dying a lot. Magic just doesn't hold my interest as much sword and shield. The problem is that combat in this game requires some versatility and agility and using magic forces you to stand still and finish the cast. Anyways, I'm in blightown, my most hated area of the game by far.

Croc

Banned
Could someone try and explain Humanity and Bonfires/Kindling to me a bit? I've read the wiki but I still don't really get the purpose and I just feel like I'm missing a big part of the game cause I have not done anything with any of those.

Could someone try and explain Humanity and Bonfires/Kindling to me a bit? I've read the wiki but I still don't really get the purpose and I just feel like I'm missing a big part of the game cause I have not done anything with any of those.

There are two kinds of humanity, loose and solid item form. Loose is what is in the topleft corner of the screen and which you will lose if you die and don't collect them back. You can get loose humanity from enemies randomly (like 0.001% chance) or from the items.

You need Humanity to revert to human form. When you gain your humanity, your humanity counter will glow white and your apperance improves. If you aren't a human you can't Co-op and you can't be invaded either. You also need humanity to kindle the fire, which you can only do when you are human. When you kindle a fire, you get more Estus Flasks. Fires stay kindled forever.

Loose humanity also raises your active stats, such as improving defence and item finding chances. You can also use humanity to level up various covenants.

Initially the humanity is best used on Kindling the flames IMO.

Hope that helps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
When in doubt: C4. When hitting a wall: KINDLE ALL THE BONFIRES.

Worst Bossfight in the game down thanks to 20 Estus flasks with no change in equipment. So much for the "Pyromancy won't carry you."

Of course, I leveled from 55 to 63 so that may have a factor in it

Whoever said to kindle all the bonfires to 20 Estus given for maximum cheese wasn't kidding.

Got the warp ability. Where do I go now since it seems a dead end with that Convent person that gave me the ability with no way forward from there? Unless I'm missing something on the ground floor?

Got the warp ability. Where do I go now since it seems a dead end with that Convent person that gave me the ability with no way forward from there? Unless I'm missing something on the ground floor?

The serpent tells you where to go and what to find. The places are around the world, after areas you have visited already.

TheSeks

The serpent tells you where to go and what to find. The places are around the world, after areas you have visited already.

Wait, that serpent in the shrine? I'm kinda ignoring him to open that one shortcut, break the convent I'm in and then go to the one convent that I have to basically ignore him to get into to do then kill them and do other convents...

After getting the Lordvessel your goal is to offer the 4 souls of the later game bosses to it in order to open up the final area of the game - So you can choose to do any of the areas still left to do, it's pretty much up to you at this point.

I'd probably do Dukes Archives or the Painted World.

I guess you could go to Demon Ruins next (the area after Quelaag) and take care of the shortcut, then once you're done with that area
(up to Bed of Chaos)
you can go to New Londo Ruins and kill
the Four Kings
. If you do this before talking to Frampt in Firelink Shrine you can access that covenant you're after.

TheSeks

Yeah, I was going to say: Just checked and I think my route is taking me back to that area to do the Demon's Ruins. Shouldn't be too bad since I kindled the bonfire at that Convent/Daughter of Chaos Warp to 20 so worst case scenario I have to abuse those a little bit so far.

fuck yeah i beat gaping dragon with the help of a phantom NPC i summoned and some other player is summoned. AND i got his tail cut off so i have this sweet weapon that i'll never be able to use because the STR rating is at 50 lulz

Pollux

So you're going for a heavy strength build?

It's definitely a viable way to play. My first character was pure melee as well. Get at least 40 in VIT, STR, and END. Those are the stats you want focus on. I'd put points into VIT last since I don't need the HP until I start doing PvP, but since this is your first time in the game you might want to invest in HP earlier. Up to you. Strength will let you use those big weapons and do more damage with them. Endurance will increase your equip burden so that you can wear heavy armor without losing mobility.

Good to know. Thanks man

2AdEPT

I'm on the first level and keep getting killed by this pig covered in spikes...wtf do I do?
You can hit him in the ass but his armour is very tough...there are some skull items on the ledge spanning the area...throw one of those int eh fire and see what he does.

FOr a STR build STR is ONLY useful for meeting stat requirements..it doesn't actually make you stronger or faster unfortunately (or at least no more stronger than any other stat boost...all stat boosts do mimimal raises to your overall attack power and defense.) VItality and endurance make you better wayy more than STR ass they do the minimal upgrades PLUS they give you more health and stamina to wield the big shit. SO the minimum is 36 STR for most weapons to TWO hand. I have never taken ANY character past 36 as I prefer other stats to boost and stay low level for PVP. YOu can go to 50 if you wnat to one hand , but experienced players don't onehand anyway so my suggestion is to try it out at 36 first and use more stats in STR only if for som estrange reason you MUST one hand your weapon...you can still use a shield with two handing its just that you have to tap triange (ps3) to let go of your sword momentarily then clikc agian to attack.

Does anyone have a strategy for killing invading DragonHead glitchers? Tried keeping my distance and using pyro and arrows but they are deflected. Maybe wrath of god but I would prefer something else.
good video out there of a guy that had to beat an unlimited health glitcher...didn't even have a health bar...he fianlly got him by baiting him near a cliff.....awesome vid bit no link here at work so just search for "glitched" on youtube...it has 60k hits so will come up even by searching Dark souls pretty quick..that's how I found it in the first place. Just shows that when there s will there is a way.

Just a quick question.

What is the best light armor and the best weapon for a 50 strenght character?
Too many options to mention.....there are literally 30-40 suits of armour in the game and you can mix and match parts...Im no probabilty expert but with 4 armour options...that means a shit load of possible combos (thousands I am guessing.) Just find stuff that allows you to roll fast...if you roll and get up slow, or just fall on your back...its too heavy....rule number one for this game is stay at <25% of you overall burden which is governed by your endurance. Raise endurance so that you can wear more and more arnour and still FAST roll...the type or style is your choice becuase no matter what aermour you choose a fiully upgraded set will be close to the heaviest armour wihtou upgrades...don't feel limited by poor intiial stats..upgradiong will make it better. Kepp in mind that thera re some crazy peices like the antiquated dress and the gold hemmed set that have unreasonably high magic, poison or curse defense...trading out these pieces will greatly enhance certain aspects and make blighttown a breeze or getting cursed a non-factor.....I have never bought curse control items as I hve never been cursed since wearing the dusk crown for near all of my characters. Certain rings also help with staying light on your feet, one in partuicular helps in the swamp.
After getting the Lordvessel your goal is to offer the 4 souls of the later game bosses to it in order to open up the final area of the game - So you can choose to do any of the areas still left to do, it's pretty much up to you at this point.

I'd probably do Dukes Archives or the Painted World.

HE wants to do the covenants, so we recommended he avoid Farmpt and go to Kaathe first so that he can do that covenenat...otherwise he will miss it.

So to update the horror I finally felt in my SL1 (no upgrades allowed) run I realized I had tripped the deepest bonfire in TOmb of the giants, didn'te get the sanctus i was looking for, aggroed Patches, didn't kill the clerics, and basically, not only did I have ot find a way up in the dark never doing it before, but I had ot save enough estus and pyro to climb all the way through catacombs as well or the whole character is fucked. Fuck.

BUt I am thankful I didn't quit the character and remember hearing that it was POSSIBLE to get out backwards....although I never remembered hearing about any idiot trying to do this as a SL1 no upgraded character with no light. BUt true to my advice "whenthere is a will there is a way" i give to readers of this thread, I had to enduure...FIrst had to get by the friggin dogs and black knight back to the bonfire closest to the door, and from there I knew I could get the lantern from down below. Somehow tried only 5-6 "runs" and ran by dogs and was able to get black knigh to chase me and jump off a cliff....went to get the lantern only to face Patchers again....this fucker had to die but his eagle shield was no match for my low level equipment with no upgrades..so I baited him near the cliff and recoiled him of the cliff with my shield. GOt lantern. DOne and done. Knew my way to bonfire from there tried once to kill clerics - didn[t work - so moved on to bonfire. THE lantern really helped as I could at least see where to go...but still didn't find the small path along the cliff that leads to the ladders out without GREAT difficulty....which is guarded by four giant skellies and who knows how many archers..... Fianlly Just ran by the first two then aggroed one at a time on top and then went back DOWN the ladder..they jumped down after me and stayed down there with teh other skellies...home free...I died lots tryong to fight and even made it once...but when I died in catacombs arbitratily and hadf ot do it all over I realizxd needed full power to get by these guys with no cost was important...back to the drawing board after spending a few hours just getting out...only to be mobbed by two peice of shit skellies inteh catacombs...ARRGH. No matter, learned ot draw out bonewheels one at a time, fought great axe black night and lived, fianlly finally finally got to the place where the archers adn a giant skelly guard the Darkmoon seance ring....and died climbing the ladder from a friggin arrow.....third time lucky, but by then I actually felt like IW as getting the hang of this trek and methodically got through it without losing too much health...I did burn my last 2 humanity to get human and kinlde the last bonfire though just in case! ;)

All in all I have not felt like this since the good old DEmon's days and first Virgin run through Dark......this no upgrade masochism even if I end in failure has been worth it so far for the experience.....escaping near death miraculously is hard to do as an OP mage or darkmoon...and even as a fully upgraded SL1 character you are really only reducing your defnse by 20-30% or so (if you average 200 defense as a level 50 I was still able to boost to 170 with stone armour darkwood and havels for roll....and of course a huge cut in attack power, but at least you can get a system down and it just takes longer............but as a SL1 no upgrade the thrill can return....using wierd rings that seem pointless otherwise, using the crossbow and trying the different bolts etc............not worrying too much about souls as well...there isn't much to upgrade....although you need some for tones of bolts and initially to buy the pyro...................I recommend it to everyone!

@french movie you wrote: fuck yeah i beat gaping dragon with the help of a phantom NPC i summoned and some other player is summoned. AND i got his tail cut off so i have this sweet weapon that i'll never be able to use because the STR rating is at 50 lulz

Seee above, you only need 36 to two hand that puppy...only do it if you wnat to be a strength guy not dex, but if you do.... it has an awesome R2 that does splash damage even if you simply smash the earth near the enemy and not even right on it...if you hit right on with that attack I recall doing 800 damage to a silver knight.

You can hit him in the ass but his armour is very tough...there are some skull items on the ledge spanning the area...throw one of those int eh fire and see what he does.
I've killed him with the fires around there before, but never thought to use the alluring skulls, never used them at all actually. Such amazing game design that they put them there to use, I wonder how many completely miss that like me!

From Software <3

TheSeks

I've killed him with the fires around there before, but never thought to use the alluring skulls, never used them at all actually. Such amazing game design that they put them there to use, I wonder how many completely miss that like me!

From Software <3

Well it isn't like Soul remains (er-"Alluring Skulls") were particularly useful in Demon's Souls...

god damn i hate the fucking frogs that can curse you. why would they put this shitty enemy in the game! i thought i was through with them but then they show up in the great hollow -_-

TheSeks

god damn i hate the fucking frogs that can curse you. why would they put this shitty enemy in the game! i thought i was through with them but then they show up in the great hollow -_-

Move backwards from them as soon as they jump. Their attack is totally telegraphed. You only have yourself to blame if they get you into those clouds to curse you.

Move backwards from them as soon as they jump. Their attack is totally telegraphed. You only have yourself to blame if they get you into those clouds to curse you.

well i was going down this giant tree and i dropped down and they had me cornered between the path and basically plummeting to my death.... i had no where to move

TheSeks

well i was going down this giant tree and i dropped down and they had me cornered between the path and basically plummeting to my death.... i had no where to move

I haven't been there yet, but surely you can take a step or two backwards. They spew that cloud and then their AI will bumrush you to attempt to spew another cloud, that's when you take advantage of them coming through that cloud to slash forward once or twice and kill them.

Alternatively, IIRC there's a ring that'll build up curse resistance along with armor that has curse resistance and failing that get a bunch of humanity (farm it) and you'll get a minor (but if you have 99 humanity in "stock" it's major) buff in resistance from having them on you.

I haven't been there yet, but surely you can take a step or two backwards. They spew that cloud and then their AI will bumrush you to attempt to spew another cloud, that's when you take advantage of them coming through that cloud to slash forward once or twice and kill them.

i was literally at the edge and trying to avoid getting touched by the fog and trying to get around to the path. guess it was just bad luck on where i landed!

I've never ever been cursed, the meter build up is so slow. I don't use heavy armor though, I'm guessing I've always used equipment that has a high curse resistency and that a lot of the popular heavy armour isn't so resistent?

I do laugh when I see all the cursed bodies where people have suffered from frog-overload :D

Maybe I'll take a trip down to the Depths and get cursed just to see it happen.

is there anything worthwhile in the great hollows? this level is fucking annoying. first there's a bunch of those frog guys. i get much further down the tree and there are these giant mushrooms that killed me in one punch -_-

There are chunks of each variety (Blue, white, red, titanite), the Cloranthy ring (faster stamina regen) can be gotten by falling not far from the bonfire at the top.

More importantly it leads to Ash Lake, an optional but cool looking area that has a boss
another Hydra
, a miracle, a covenant
a tail sword
and the final event with Siegmeyer, the dude in the onion armour. Can also be used to farm Twinkling Titanite and Purging Stones from the clam monsters if you haven't been to Crystal Cave yet. The covenant bonfire is a warp point, so you can come back without going through the Great Hollow again.

You can run past the mushrooms they won't follow you to Ash Lake.

There are chunks of each variety (Blue, white, red, titanite), the Cloranthy ring (faster stamina regen) can be gotten by falling not far from the bonfire at the top.

More importantly it leads to Ash Lake, an optional but cool looking area that has a boss
another Hydra
, a miracle, a covenant
a tail sword
and the final event with Siegmeyer, the dude in the onion armour. Can also be used to farm Twinkling Titanite and Purging Stones from the clam monsters if you haven't been to Crystal Cave yet. The covenant bonfire is a warp point, so you can come back without going through the Great Hollow again.

You can run past the mushrooms they won't follow you to Ash Lake.

i'll head down there after i beat this spider queen boss. funny thing about that is i tried FOUR TIMES to get to this boss and got invaded every time! one time, i summoned this dude to help me and we're making our way to the lair when i get invaded. well, we kill the invader and are almost there when ANOTHER person invades and kills me! it was almost to the point where i just disabled the network features on the ps3 because i literally couldn't even get over to the boss!

then i finally got to the boss and i think after losing twice to her i have her pattern down. took off 3/4ths of her health bar but then i walked back into some lava she sprayed before and got trapped :(

Don't go to Ash Lake yet unless you specifically want something from there early on. It's a long way back up through the tree. Better to save it until you have the lordvessel.

Soulhouf

@2AdEPT: Wow that sounds like an awesome experience. I have to try a SL1 run without any upgrade sometime. It must feel like playing Shadow Tower.
Please keep telling us about your progress.

2AdEPT

From Software <3
2BH Iam relatively certain I did not figure this out myself....A poster on gaf likley hinted that there was a reason the wierd items you find occur at certain spots...like the coloured stone thingys....found in a chest right before teh crystal caves, where there happends ot be invisible paths....b ut then once you learn their use...they are useful ohter places like in TOTG. Pretty sure I have seen a wiki outline all enemies affected by skulls...not a very extensive list...the boar and a couple others....most don't even blink at them.

@2AdEPT: Wow that sounds like an awesome experience. I have to try a SL1 run without any upgrade sometime. It must feel like playing Shadow Tower.
Please keep telling us about your progress.
I will, and it is amazing that certain areas feel so much harder than others....yet when you think a place will just be impossible...it isn't bad, For example TOTH even without light is no biggy as I was able to figure out a way to psyche out all dogs and big skellies,,,they were just too stupid.....so once I conquered my fear and got the method set up...it was actually irrelevant what my stats were....running fast was the only factor at first, the later running in small bursts and inching forward at other times.

That said, I have never solo'd O and S before and am feeling a little meek not even able to get by the giants and keep Solaire alive long enough to get in the door! I will try it out but the rules are that I can summon one friend instead of the NPC as long as they are SL1 and no upgrades....so consider yourself invited...Sullichin added me but we haven't met up yet...are you on PS3???? You and several others were the inspriation to do this in the first place!!!!!

BTW...can anyone confirm if even though the Sanctus has faith requirement of 18, that it will still give the health boost? I don't care if it blocks shit....one hit and dead with the tearstone ring set up I wan tto try anyway...but if i can get even a few more seconds of power within AND tearstone, AND dusk crown, and bellowing...the fireballs will start taking ORn down a lot faster as if it were full upgrade me thinks....just a guess?!?!?!?

other notes I forgot to include earlier:

Archers in Anor Londo! First time ....tried to draw out to the middle ramp so that the one on right would fall down.....positioned wrong and got stabbed before making it back down median walkway....second try .....just rolled as normal past first arrow on the right, hit iron flesh, then held shield up as long as it took for him to fall off...sort of pushed forward as I wasn;t afraid with iron flesh and stone armour on and it only took two hits of my shield (wooden or grass crest I think) and he fell off.....felt great as wasn't able to use poison arrows and had no fog ring then.....traded the lantern for fog ring...possible mistake as you can't grind for that drop...but might get sunlight magggot if the sanctus is still a viable option...ah who cares...can kinda do it in the dark anyway now!!!!
Sigh...Capra demon making me want to throw my controller.

yep saving for later til after queelag is great as I love melting capra with chaos lava and electrocuting dogs with lightning....but then no lautrec gor Gaping....decisions decisions?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm thinking about making a magical archer for my next build. Basically a very long-range based character that using almost exclusively magic and bows.

What's the best bow if I'm not going to put much into DEX? Composite and Darkmoon I guess.

I admit the stats bonuses kind of confuse me - looking at the wiki and the stats bonuses give a letter grade, but how does that translate into actually power - since magical weapons kind of suck in this game, is it worth making a magic weapon if it gives a A or S buff from magic, or is it still better to go with say, +14, lightning or chaos because these often give the highest base damage before stat bonuses? How many lvl points do you have to plow into INT before you start seeing the benefits from a A or S grade stat boost. My head hurts!

Soulhouf

I will, and it is amazing that certain areas feel so much harder than others....yet when you think a place will just be impossible...it isn't bad, For example TOTH even without light is no biggy as I was able to figure out a way to psyche out all dogs and big skellies,,,they were just too stupid.....so once I conquered my fear and got the method set up...it was actually irrelevant what my stats were....running fast was the only factor at first, the later running in small bursts and inching forward at other times.

That said, I have never solo'd O and S before and am feeling a little meek not even able to get by the giants and keep Solaire alive long enough to get in the door! I will try it out but the rules are that I can summon one friend instead of the NPC as long as they are SL1 and no upgrades....so consider yourself invited...Sullichin added me but we haven't met up yet...are you on PS3???? You and several others were the inspriation to do this in the first place!!!!!

BTW...can anyone confirm if even though the Sanctus has faith requirement of 18, that it will still give the health boost? I don't care if it blocks shit....one hit and dead with the tearstone ring set up I wan tto try anyway...but if i can get even a few more seconds of power within AND tearstone, AND dusk crown, and bellowing...the fireballs will start taking ORn down a lot faster as if it were full upgrade me thinks....just a guess?!?!?!?

other notes I forgot to include earlier:

Archers in Anor Londo! First time ....tried to draw out to the middle ramp so that the one on right would fall down.....positioned wrong and got stabbed before making it back down median walkway....second try .....just rolled as normal past first arrow on the right, hit iron flesh, then held shield up as long as it took for him to fall off...sort of pushed forward as I wasn;t afraid with iron flesh and stone armour on and it only took two hits of my shield (wooden or grass crest I think) and he fell off.....felt great as wasn't able to use poison arrows and had no fog ring then.....traded the lantern for fog ring...possible mistake as you can't grind for that drop...but might get sunlight magggot if the sanctus is still a viable option...ah who cares...can kinda do it in the dark anyway now!!!!
What is your PSN ID? I don't remember seeing it in this thread.

As for the sanctus, you get the HP regen even if you don't have the requirement to use it.

Question: do you use power within? It's a must with this kind of challenge or else 4 Kings will be impossible to beat with an non-upgraded weapon.

Mxrz

I'm thinking about making a magical archer for my next build. Basically a very long-range based character that using almost exclusively magic and bows.

What's the best bow if I'm not going to put much into DEX? Composite and Darkmoon I guess.

I admit the stats bonuses kind of confuse me - looking at the wiki and the stats bonuses give a letter grade, but how does that translate into actually power - since magical weapons kind of suck in this game, is it worth making a magic weapon if it gives a A or S buff from magic, or is it still better to go with say, +14, lightning or chaos because these often give the highest base damage before stat bonuses? How many lvl points do you have to plow into INT before you start seeing the benefits from a A or S grade stat boost. My head hurts!

Why wouldn't you want dex with a magic build? Cast speed helps. Bows are awful for damage. Even with sl120 stats, its unlikely to 1-shot anything more than a hollow. They're useful to pull, or exploit/poison at least. The Avelyn works. The bolts get expensive --especially if you go Lightning + lightning--but by the time you get it, you're rolling in souls anyway.

Magic / Enchanted / Divine / Occult aren't terribly effective with a MR/AR split, even less so against players. The Moonlight Spear and Moonlight greatsword are better options due to range/stunlock. But a mage can get much higher damage off a +15 weapon buffed with Crystal or Greater Magic weapon than any thing else.

I used a magic scimitar early on until I got the moonlight spear, and then later a +15 R. Rapier. But I ignored everything to bump INT to 40-50 early.

Mxrz

What's the highest NG+ you guys have gown into?

With PvP being a little borked, I've thinking about seeing how far I can get. My First character is in NG+++, I believe. But I don't care for her build. I'd rather take one of my others. Either a Mage/Dex, Dex/Buff, Pure STR/Resin, or make a new Faith/Buff, maybe.

Ok, question time:

I accidentally killed Priscilla while trying to cut off her tail (she went invis and I lobbed a fireball at her to reappear and she died). Can I fight her as co-op summon help and get the tail there? Obviously I'd have to hope the host doesn't kill her first.

Ok, question time:

I accidentally killed Priscilla while trying to cut off her tail (she went invis and I lobbed a fireball at her to reappear and she died). Can I fight her as co-op summon help and get the tail there? Obviously I'd have to hope the host doesn't kill her first.
Only if the host gives you the dagger, the drop goes to the host not phantoms, and they would have to do it before killing her since you leave their world as soon as a boss is defeated. Basically you're screwed unless someone gives you one :p

Why wouldn't you want dex with a magic build? Cast speed helps. Bows are awful for damage.
Honestly have no idea, I was just thinking of putting everything into VIT/END/INT, but I guess DEX helps with both bows and casting speed - I didn't think.

Just want to use bows because I like using them, PvE I've used them a lot in every playthrough, so I wanted to concentrate specifically on long range magic/archery for this character, see how it goes with PvP - will use a sword of some sort too when needed. I've never used Rapiers, so that might be something else to add, I usually just fall back on old faithful Uchigatana.

In PvP my weakness is close combat - Basically I suck at straight up duelling, so magic weapon buffs aren't something I use. I prefer to have people chase me around, using the environment and wittle them down with occasional hits, bolts, arrows, poison, dung etc, they get desperate and make mistakes after a while, that's basically my winning strategy.

Dresden

...what? Summon who?

I'm sorry ive only been playing this game for a couple hours. I'm on a PS3 how do I summon NPCs? Sorry for this probably terrible question.

There's an NPC summon right before the fog door there if you're in Human form. Get up there, activate the sign, then go through the door.

TheSeks

...what? Summon who?

I'm sorry ive only been playing this game for a couple hours. I'm on a PS3 how do I summon NPCs? Sorry for this probably terrible question.

If you saw the PRAISE THE SUN dude and saved Laurtic (which is close by), go back to Firelink Shrine. Talke to Laurtic. Then go back there in human form (rush to avoid invasions, not sure if you'll be invaded though at a low level. I wasn't) and you'll see two signs as you're going up the ladder. Hit those. It'll say "do you want to summon PRAISE THE SUN!/Laurtic" say yes to it and wait a couple of seconds as they spawn.

Also if you want to cut the tail off (any applicable boss) don't lock on. Walk around the boss and strike at the tail itself.

To summon you have to be in human form (Reverse Hollow at a bonfire if you are not human already, using one active humanity - the big number top left), if you are hollow (not human) you just won't see the summon signs. In human form you can summon NPC helpers if there are any for that boss fight, or other players (but as human you can also be invaded).

joelseph

Out of Painted World. Beat the boss on my first attempt. Took down Anor Londo boss few hours later after only a handful of attempts. Only died once to the archers!

Now what?!
Go after the 4 souls to fill the lordvessel?
I am a strength build weilding a +10 Zweihander. Any easy upgrades recommended?

Jhoan

I spent most of my day playing the hell out of this game yesterday (into today). I have to say, I've grown to love it despite dying and losing a huge amount of souls every now and then. I love helping people take on O&S and fending off their invaders; I even get a thank you every now and then. I haven't invaded people yet but I will soon. It's definitely one of the best the games I played from last year's bunch. I'm glad that From gave us 360 players a chance to experience it; PC gamers are in for a treat. I'm really looking forward to Artorias of the Abyss now more than ever.

Any way, my approach after getting the Lord Vessel has been Drained New Londo Ruins (going with Darkstalker Kaathe to get the bad ending)-->The Duke's Archives/Crystal Caves--> The Catacombs (killed Pinwheel a lot earlier in the game)/Tomb of the Giants--> Lost Izalith which is what I'm currently working on. It seems that the last four areas were poorly designed so I'm pretty disappointed in that regard. It's almost as if they were designed at the last minute; the majority of these areas have cheap enemies and extremely annoying ways of traversing them.

The Duke's Archives is hard if only because the enemies dole a huge amount of damage and like to hide in blind spots. But like I said before, it's one of my favorite places in the game because it reminds me of the Castlevania games. Now I have the library song from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night playing in my head.

I hated the Crystal Caves; definitely one of the worst areas in the game. It wasn't that bad; in fact surprisingly short plus it has an abundance of Titanite lizards and tons of clam monsters to farm Twinkling Titanite shards. I hate the cheap deaths I got from straying off the path. I had to summon two other players to help me distract Seath so that I could cut off his tail. Otherwise, I doled out most the damage including the final blow. He was pretty easy although the tail slam/whipping combo was pretty strong; I died twice as a result of it.

Tomb of the Giants wasn't much better. Walking around in the darkness without a light source was a pain in the ass; I traded one Skull Lantern to the crow at the Undead Asylum much earlier in my run. Once I got the Skull Lantern though, it was much easier to navigate through the environment. I hate games that have pitch black places; they scare me and make me incredibly paranoid. I hated the cheap archers that shot me in the dark and the dog skeletons who are extremely strong but surprisingly weak; they were no match for my Quelaag's Furysword+5 and my Pyromancy fireballs.

Leeroy destroyed me though initially. Then I became human again, and got the last laugh by tossing him two Great Chaos Fireballs and the rest was history. I took advantage of farming Humanity from the baby skeletons (getting toxic is not cool however). Because of this, I was able to get the maximum rank for the Chaos Servant Covenant and opened up the shortcut to Lost Izalith (more on that later) and kindled a few Bonfires to the max.

Nito was surprisingly easy (but it's probably because I'm overpowered). I made light work of him despite using a few attacks that left me with 1/4 of my health. It pained to have to take him out because of the Covenant thing.

So now that leaves me with Lost Izalith. I opened up the shortcut like I said because I want to save Solaire (AKA Sun Bro) so I could join the Covenant as well as team up with him with the last two battles that remain. I'm gonna take out the maggots like the instructions in the Wiki indicate, quit, then go in. I think I might have to switch out Quelaag's Furysword for another weapon for the Demon Firesage battle.

Jhoan

Wait so if I have a 01 or higher next to my HP bar then I'm human and can summon help?
No, you have select the "Reverse Hollow" option at a Bonfire to revert back to human. This allows you to see and summon other players and NPC's; Lautrec in your case for the Bell Gargoyle fight. This also means that you're vulnerable to getting invaded by another player and NPC's in certain areas.

If you met Solaire already and got the White Soap Stone, then you can leave a summoning sign (typically near a Bonfire) to get summoned into another player's game. You do not have to turn human to get summoned to another person's game; I do it all the time in Hollow form. But you do have to turn human in order to invaded another player's game using two certain items; a consumable and a key item that you get much later in the game.

Like someone else mentioned, the 01/number counter is the Humanity that you have in stock; the higher the amount of humanity you consume and have in stock, the higher the drop rate of rare items and the higher your stats. It also affects unique weapons' stats such as the frequently mentioned Quelaag's Furysword.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wait so if I have a 01 or higher next to my HP bar then I'm human and can summon help?

No. You have to go to a bonfire and use that humanity point to reverse hollow. You can tell you're human if you don't look like a zombie ;)

Beaten.

I've relatively new to the game as well. Is there any way to farm humanity? I'm always dying and losing my points lol

Only if the host gives you the dagger, the drop goes to the host not phantoms, and they would have to do it before killing her since you leave their world as soon as a boss is defeated. Basically you're screwed unless someone gives you one :p

Oh shit! Ok thanks for the answer, no big deal anyway as I'm focusing on pyromancy and sorcery this run anyway. The completionist in me winced a bit though.

Jhoan

No. You have to go to a bonfire and use that humanity point to reverse hollow. You can tell you're human if you don't look like a zombie ;)

Beaten.

I've relatively new to the game as well. Is there any way to farm humanity? I'm always dying and losing my points lol
If you already got the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring (which is found inside a mimic box in Sen's Fortress; increase the item drop rate), then you can farm in either one of two places. The rats typically drop humanity. The Depths (near a Bonfire) has a nice amount of rats that you can kill over and over again, and the aforementioned baby skeletons much later on in the game in the Tomb of the Giants.

Another good and easy way to get humanity is by getting summoned into another player's game. By helping the host player defeat the area boss and/or fend off invaders in the host player's game, you can get humanity easily as well as a good amount of souls. It also has the benefit of lowering the amount of Faith required to join the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant which is a co-op focused Covenant that allows you to get summoned into players' games more easily. Since you're in the beginning places in the game, I would recommend you do this; especially if you're having a hard time defeating a boss to learn how to fight it.

Also, get the Drake Sword by shooting arrows at the giant red dragon's tail below the bridge where it can't see nor hit you. It's a pretty powerful sword to have early on in the game as it only requires 16 STR and 10 DEX. Don't bother upgrading it though because you get much more powerful and better weapons later on in the game. Also do not use the two handed strong attack because the sword will deteriorate faster. You can use it maybe 3-5 times I would say but be prepared to pay a decent amount of souls to repair it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom