• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, where is good for fast humanity? The depths or Tomb of Giants with the baby skeletons or whatever?

Mxrz

The best post Anor Londo area is Duke's Archives by far. I think the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants area is my least favorite area in the game, and the thought of eventually having to do it again is what's keeping me from continuing my New Game+ playthrough. I do have the same character creation sickness though. I have a NG+ thief/pyromancer character, a sorcerer character, a wanderer character, and I want to create a paladin so I cover everything.

If you don't care about loot, you can run through these areas really quick. Catacombs is a little slower, but you can drop in 2-3 places even with the bridges unturned. Tombs can more or less be ran through with a quick stop to save Rhea.

Guess I should go to Tomb of Giants. 80 Humanity for better soul sucking. WTF.

I wouldn't bother. You lose that when you change covenants (I do that a lot myself) and the actual attack only seems useful for draining NPCs of humanity before starting a new NG+. Once you're better at the game, you'll rarely lose bloodstains and the humanity counter will pile up anyhow.

TheSeks

Guess I should go to Tomb of Giants. 80 Humanity for better soul sucking. WTF.

Shit. That way seems extremely dangerous to get down towards with 10 humanity. :/ Maybe the rats are better but slower...

I wouldn't bother. You lose that when you change covenants (I do that a lot myself) and the actual attack only seems useful for draining NPCs of humanity before starting a new NG+. Once you're better at the game, you'll rarely lose bloodstains and the humanity counter will pile up anyhow

So, what? Get the sword and then leave since the only thing after that is a more powerful (but apparently lost in breaking convent) dark hand?

the thing that threw me off with ng+ 4 kings the first time around is that after killing the 4th king, i thought i was done, but there were still more i had to kill and i unexpectedly got bumrushed. i can't even imagine ng+++... how many kings would you have to kill?

Same here, at NG+ and after I had to kill 5 kings every time. I only had to hit him 2 or 3 times though to kill the 5th king.

TheSeks

So...Capra Demon just fucked me up. A lot. This'll be interesting.

Nah, they become total bitches outside of that one once you got Pyromancy. Issue is you're fighting that one in a small area and it's speed + the dogs. Run up the stairs, take the dogs out and then just drop/heal/stairs, kill Capra and move past it.

Pollux

Nah, they become total bitches outside of that one once you got Pyromancy. Issue is you're fighting that one in a small area and it's speed + the dogs. Run up the stairs, take the dogs out and then just drop/heal/stairs, kill Capra and move past it.

Good advice, except after 10 tries I can't get to the stairs...I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

Tdog987

Is it possible to kill
Smough and Ornstein at the same time? I noticed that when I used soul spear, they both took damage from one...leading me to believe this may be possible, but very unlikely

Is it possible to kill
Smough and Ornstein at the same time? I noticed that when I used soul spear, they both took damage from one...leading me to believe this may be possible, but very unlikely

No, it's not possible. Even if you managed to kill both at the same time the game will still make one of them super.

So, where is good for fast humanity? The depths or Tomb of Giants with the baby skeletons or whatever?

Best spot in my eyes is at the Undead Burg. The three rats down the "cellar" are near a bonfire (right after the bridge) and with the symbol of Avarice you get humanity pretty easily.

2AdEPT

you are running into the first "punishing" event for not thinking outside the box and ringing both bells firs you still can go the back way to blighttown first and save the depths for later....but no matter....there are a tonne of tricks to beating those guys...to get to the stairs go right first...its counterintuitive, but it draws the capra and dogs away from the landing of the stairs so that you ca n run up...if you use a spear you can hold your shield up and get the dogs while blocking a tthte same time....one out of every 2 or 3 tries the capra will swing from below orrun up the stairs himself and OHK you before you can kill both dogs, but 1-2 times out of 3 you will kill both dogs and can then drop on capra form above for big damage, or just drop down adn lure him back down thte stairs...his attacks are slow and easy ot dodge...he overswings and then you get you r ch
ance to hit him a couple times...rinse and repeat.

you can try the Tomb, but I have never found it a fast endeavor to get in and out of there....there is no warp point in only out....and you are further from the bonfoire than in the depths....depths is more fun for me and lands a good enough crop that you will get enough to make it worth your while.

If you want to, you can also farm Eye of Death from the basilisks while you're at it, they're useful for the Gravelord covenant (you need 10 to get the miracle from them if you don't want to actually take your chances with pvp).

TheSeks

If you want to, you can also farm Eye of Death from the basilisks while you're at it, they're useful for the Gravelord covenant (you need 10 to get the miracle from them if you don't want to actually take your chances with pvp).

Yeah, I'm going to do that later today I guess.

About the Forest Hunter Convent. I can kill the one dude behind the one dude that talks to me (the near invisible one) to get the Ring of Fog, right?

Pollux

you are running into the first "punishing" event for not thinking outside the box and ringing both bells firs you still can go the back way to blighttown first and save the depths for later....but no matter....there are a tonne of tricks to beating those guys...to get to the stairs go right first...its counterintuitive, but it draws the capra and dogs away from the landing of the stairs so that you ca n run up...if you use a spear you can hold your shield up and get the dogs while blocking a tthte same time....one out of every 2 or 3 tries the capra will swing from below orrun up the stairs himself and OHK you before you can kill both dogs, but 1-2 times out of 3 you will kill both dogs and can then drop on capra form above for big damage, or just drop down adn lure him back down thte stairs...his attacks are slow and easy ot dodge...he overswings and then you get you r ch
ance to hit him a couple times...rinse and repeat.

Wait, isn't Capra on the way to the second bell? I'm not looking at anything on line so I'm just running around haha.

Roche

About the Forest Hunter Convent. I can kill the one dude behind the one dude that talks to me (the near invisible one) to get the Ring of Fog, right?

I'm pretty sure that he drops the Dark Wood Grain ring (Flip ring), I think you can get the ring of fog by doing a couple of invasions for the forest people.

Pollux

OK I'm stuck. I'm standing in front of the fog leading to the Capra Demon, I can either go right down some stairs and towards the merchant or back...but both lead to dead ends. The only way forward is the Capra demon. I have no clue where to go, since someone earlier said that the Capra Demon is AFTER ringing the bell in the depths. How the hell do I get to the depths?

Roche

OK I'm stuck. I'm standing in front of the fog leading to the Capra Demon, I can either go right down some stairs and towards the merchant or back...but both lead to dead ends. The only way forward is the Capra demon. I have no clue where to go, since someone earlier said that the Capra Demon is AFTER ringing the bell in the depths. How the hell do I get to the depths?

You kill the Capra Demon to get the key to the depths, it might be a good idea to head to the merchant and continue down the waterway in order to open a shortcut back to the firelink shrine. The door into the depths is just across from the merchant's tower.

Pollux

You kill the Capra Demon to get the key to the depths, it might be a good idea to head to the merchant and continue down the waterway in order to open a shortcut back to the firelink shrine. The door into the depths is just across from the merchant's tower.
Ah...thank you. Now for a hour or two of suffering trying to kill this thing. Despite how often I die, I truly enjoy this game. It's surprising considering I couldn't get past the first level of Demon's Souls. I think once I finish this, I might have to go back and give Demon's Souls another try.

Depths in itself is optional if you have the Master Key, but it's a pretty cool place. It's also essential for starting on pyromancy, improving weapons along most lines, getting a good shield for Blighttown (unless you go way out of your way) and of course farming humanity and Eyes of Death. Also has an epic boss.

Only problem is that most sane people who wish to remain that way have to backtrack up to Undead Burg and go to Blighttown the other way, because early Blighttown sucks.

Roche

Ah...thank you. Now for a hour or two of suffering trying to kill this thing. Despite how often I die, I truly enjoy this game. It's surprising considering I couldn't get past the first level of Demon's Souls. I think once I finish this, I might have to go back and give Demon's Souls another try.

For me personally Capra was probably the hardest boss in the game. Not the it was THAT difficult it's the combination of relative inexperience with the game at that point and pretty sharply raised difficulty level compared to earlier bosses which make Capra a bitch.

So stick with it and don't be discouraged by how cheap it may seem.

Pollux

For me personally Capra was probably the hardest boss in the game. Not the it was THAT difficult it's the combination of relative inexperience with the game at that point and pretty sharply raised difficulty level compared to earlier bosses which make Capra a bitch.

So stick with it and don't be discouraged by how cheap it may seem.

Not discouraged at all. I guess that's what I was trying to say, despite how HARD this game is it's refreshing in a way. I know this has been said many times in this thread but the fact that they just say go ring some bells and then let you do your thing is actually pretty awesome. I like the fact that it's that free and difficult.

Ghizz

Hi guys, just recently got into the game and enjoying it immensely, just a few questions!

Where do I go to after blighttown/the depths? I've killed the gargoyles and not sure where to go now.

Jhoan

Hi guys, just recently got into the game and enjoying it immensely, just a few questions!

Where do I go to after blighttown/the depths? I've killed the gargoyles and not sure where to go now.

Personally, I took out Ceaseless Discharge (disappointingly easy boss battle if you use the cheese) for some good armor and in order to explore Demon's Ruins (even though there isn't much to explore). I got whatever I could get, then I backtracked to Sen's Fortress (did a ton of grinding on the Forest Covenant guardians in between), took out the boss, then went back to the Darkroot Forest to take out Sif then I went back to Anor Londo.

A note though; if you enter the Chaos Servant Covenant entrance/bonfire, do not reflexively kill the monster with the egg sac at the entrance. He's an NPC merchant; I unfortunately killed him as soon I saw that he was a monster because I thought he was a threat. Not that it matters any way, since I was still able to join it without mucking things up.

To simplify it, fight Ceaseless Discharge-->explore a little bit of Demon's Ruins-->Sen's Fortress-->Anor Londo.

I highly recommend that everyone who's starting out buy the Crest of Artorias (in order to open the Darkroot Forest) from the merchant in Undead Burg as early as possible so you won't have to buy it later.

Reading about Capra Demon giving people hell reminds me of the days when I went through it and had a hard time myself.

Like everyone else has already mentioned, taking out the dogs (position yourself atop of the stairs at the corner so that they rush you)first is a must. Since his swings are slow and powerful and he moves slowly, take advantage of it by getting a few hits in then run up the stairs. It's likely that he'll jump off it, so take advantage of it by 2H'ing a good strong weapon (preferably the Drake Sword if you have it) and doing a plunging attack. Rinse and repeat and he's toast. He was surprisingly easy after following that strategy.

What makes Carpa hard is the confined space in which you face him. He's definately a difficulty spike in the early game. I still die to him sometimes because it can be unpredictable what the dogs do, if you kill at least one straight away it can be a fast fight, if they interupt your swings at them, then Capra gets his hits in - you're dog meat!

You might want to buy something from Shiva first before killing him or his buddy. When you are the Forest covenant they will be hanging out in Blighttown under the waterwheel elevator.

He sells some nice weapons, many of them drops, but some not like the Washing Pole. Flamberges are quite nice too, although the lightning-firing lizards in Sen's drop them too.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So who here has rolled, ran off, or been pushed off a cliff resulting in losing all of their souls at their previous bloodstain? ::Raises hand:: So mad at myself when I do silly things that make me lose all the souls I picked up from a boss/mini-boss fight.

I kept dying on this part too. Probably spend like a hour or more. I think I was more frustrated that I had to run all the way back from the bonfire more than the actual boss itself.

Anyhow once you go through the fog gate I immediately started running on the right hand side (don't get caught in the columns or you are dead) and rolled forward at the last second. For some reason the second dog in the back didn't aggro immediately and after the roll I was able to make it up the stairs. I turned around and killed both dogs. In some instances one dog won't aggro and won't follow you up so you should wait until the Capra demon makes his way up the stairs then drop down and get enough distance where you have enough time to kill the other dog.

After that the fight is pretty simple.

Jhoan

So who here has rolled, ran off, or been pushed off a cliff resulting in losing all of their souls at their previous bloodstain? ::Raises hand:: So mad at myself when I do silly things that make me lose all the souls I picked up from a boss/mini-boss fight.
Yup, it happens from time to time when I farm for souls at the Forest Covenant area. I'll get kicked off by the axe wielding dude or get accidentally pushed for making a stupid decision to move forward. It also happened countless times in Anor Londo's notorious archer spot. The most recently one was losing about 135K in souls (part of which I got from Seath) trying to reach my bloodstain that I think was near a spot where you find a Blue Titanite chunk in Crystal Caves. You couldn't imagine how mad I was.

I'm a bit guilty of dealing the killing blow to bosses for players and taking out the enemies as well. I think I'm gonna take a backseat and let the host handle things. With bosses, I'll resort to one handing my weapon and observing the host more. Whenever I summon people though, I always deal the final blows to bosses. One of the funniest things that I saw last week was finding the host player in Anor Londo only to witness him getting eaten by a Mimic box.

It seems that no one rates messages or takes the time to leave a useful mark (at least on the 360 version). I always rate people's messages if it's useful or if it's an "I did it" message after taking out a boss. If it's a generic useless message, I'll ignore it. I also leave marks as well but I've never gotten a rating. It's another way for me to enjoy the game and appreciate the sense of community that the game provides.

Dresden

Easiest way to avoid Capra's rush is to run forward to bait a lunge/swing from the Demon, before rolling back to avoid it. Then run to the stairs. Not locking on and keeping calm does wonders.

Wowbagger

Easiest way to avoid Capra's rush is to run forward to bait a lunge/swing from the Demon, before rolling back to avoid it. Then run to the stairs. Not locking on and keeping calm does wonders.

In my experience, this isn't guaranteed to work. The bulletproof way is to immediately cast Aural Decoy to distract it. Of course, you need 10 Int and a spell slot, so it's not a strategy everyone can use.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Any suggestions on weapons for a sl35 pyro? Seems like some of the more powerful weapons ive picked up arent available to me as I only leveled str and dex enough to use the drake sword and been pumping most of my souls into end and vit. Fire spells seem really weak as well. Pyro glove is +5 and the damage increase for fire spells has been negligible. Is fire orb supposed to be better? Seems like it barely does anymore damage than fireball.

Just beat the hydra and went up the ladder to darkRoot garden and I get owned by the NPC humans. Wanted to try and farm souls here but it guess I suck at melee. Lol

Mxrz

Guessing you mean a normal +5 pyro flame, not an ascended +5. Normal +5 isn't going to give much of a boost. There's technically 21 levels to upgrade the flame. Costing about 350k souls for all.

If you've rung both bells, you can maybe hold out for the lightning spear in Sens. But it is probably time to decide on what weapon you want to use.

Claymore, Zweihander (Derp), Baldur Side Sword, Uchigatana, Falchion, Black Knight Great Axe (or the other bk weapons) - are the most common. Any of those upgraded either normally or elemental should work (Bks follow the twinkling path). - If you don't want to invest heavily in Str or Dex, elemental is the way to go.

TheSeks

I'm pretty sure that he drops the Dark Wood Grain ring (Flip ring), I think you can get the ring of fog by doing a couple of invasions for the forest people.

Yeah, you're right. I can just "Trade: Snuggly for a Skull Lantern" it. I have a spare, IIRC.

I'll head over to blighttown and see what there is in terms of weapon drops, but I'm more interested in the unique weapons more than the non-uniques. Need to upgrade one of the non-uniques for the weapons trophies though. :/ Farming stones seems like it'd be a bitch and a half to do.

Mxrz

Damage wise, Pyro beats Miracles certainly. Some Magic Spells do more damage, but they don't have the AoE of some of the pyro spells, or the speed of combustion. Next time I'm on my mage, I'll compare her spells & pyros. Should be easy enough.

Pyromancy in general is kind hard to judge. The biggest thing is you don't have to invest in levels for it, beyond spell slots. You can have great damage and great utility on any build from it. I'm not sure if I would want that in the next game, but then I'm not sure I can do without it now. It seems like it should be more gamebreaking than it is.

As long as shields with strong fire defense are there, pyromancy isn't game breaking.

I always laugh at guys who keep spamming great combustion or fireball while I just sit back and block with the black knight shield and take like no damage. I'm like dude, it's not gonna work lol.

Mxrz

I really need to make a shield-using character someday. I tend to just slap the grass-shield thing on and go. Lately I've been dropping it for weight, and using grass. Not sure I've ever used a Tower shield. I was going to try it with my strength character, but the crazy weight on strength weapons & the need for 2handing killed that.

Wowbagger

Pyromancy in general is kind hard to judge. The biggest thing is you don't have to invest in levels for it, beyond spell slots. You can have great damage and great utility on any build from it. I'm not sure if I would want that in the next game, but then I'm not sure I can do without it now. It seems like it should be more gamebreaking than it is.

You won't get the most out of pyromancy in PVP unless you invest in Dex, though.

6for8

As far as I know From never actually fixed the Tranquil Walk of Peace glitch since it was theoretically rendered unusable when they fixed the first dragonhead glitch, and that's basically the cheesiest way of using the glitch that there is. If you're not averse to fighting glitches with glitches that's probably the quickest way to beat other glitchers.

Otherwise I'd just disconnect. It's not really worth the frustration. Most of the glitchers seem to be invaders, so if you want non-glitched PvP just stick to duel signs.

Thanks for the info. I googled the glitch you speak of and couldn't get it to work. I noticed claims that it does but will keep my head in the sand until I have the pleasure of the instant death from 100' away.

Tested the range of the repeating torso vs Wrath of God and it appears you can cast Wrath of God outside the event horizon of the dragon head glitch at lvl1. Dragon covenant lvl3 boost? Well, I hope they don't have 80 scales.

2AdEPT

Not discouraged at all. I guess that's what I was trying to say, despite how HARD this game is it's refreshing in a way. I know this has been said many times in this thread but the fact that they just say go ring some bells and then let you do your thing is actually pretty awesome. I like the fact that it's that free and difficult.

You can either use master key or go through the forest to get to valley of the drakes..there is a cave close ot the firelink side of the valley that gives you an entrance to blighttown....you can ringthe second bell first this way and then there are lots of benefits to glean before comng back ot kill capra and do the depths....only drawback is you can't hire Lautrec ot help you on teh bossof the depths...but you still have one weak NPC or ability to hire a real player so it is obviously worth it to ring bells first.
Damage wise, Pyro beats Miracles certainly. .

You haven't tried maxing your lightning, emit force, and possibly even the sunlight spears I gather....using the rign of frist born sun, you can get 1k per spear x5 ...only crystal homing arrows have more potential power bu they miss alot, spears are more accurate and don't miss at close range. Pyro doesn't touch magic or faith for power ...but I get your point about splash if you like firestorm over wrath of god.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone know what the state of PvP on the 360 is? It's been a few months since I last played so I've been out of the loop. Are there still new players coming in or does it seem to be a lot of veterans and this point?

Any new cheese builds I should know about?

2AdEPT

Any suggestions on weapons for a sl35 pyro? Seems like some of the more powerful weapons ive picked up arent available to me as I only leveled str and dex enough to use the drake sword and been pumping most of my souls into end and vit. Fire spells seem really weak as well. Pyro glove is +5 and the damage increase for fire spells has been negligible. Is fire orb supposed to be better? Seems like it barely does anymore damage than fireball.

Just beat the hydra and went up the ladder to darkRoot garden and I get owned by the NPC humans. Wanted to try and farm souls here but it guess I suck at melee. Lol
I'm not sure I know where you are at, but just about every character I do I ring the Queelag bell right away and start working getting the pyro up a bit even befire choosing a weapon path (except pure magic characters where I just fill the slots with sorcery only)....the chaos fireball comes form the covenant just after the bell and all the pyro from Queelana in the blighttown swamp is superior to Laurentius...plus there are situations where you can double up the pyro...orbs or fireballs for example and attune intelligently, slap on the dusk ring, adn all of a sudden you have a tonne of uses...which is good for grinding where you aren't in much danger as the ring chops your health in half.

As for a weapon, I usually get a spear going early...winged spear from the graveyard is good....this allows you to stab and shield at the same time. It also prepares you for the movesetsof a powrful found upgraded weapon in sens fortress once you ring both bells...You can choose a better dex weapon from blight town like the iato, uchigatana or washing pole, but these don't get reall good til fully upgraded. I fyou like strength there are lots of good clubs to use early on as wellas the zwei which was mentioned, as well as allthe drops you could get from black knights.

If you are inteh vacinity of the hydra there is an NPC you should be sure to find at the back of the lake...she sells magic, but her dusk crown (clean her out then kill her and her stuff will be at back of lake) is the shit for pyro's as it boosts all magic, faith or pyro ....the bellowing dragono ring from griggs (lower burg) also boosts pyro and stacks with the crown...your orbs will start doing 2-300 damage in a hurry even ithout much upgrades with this stuff on. Chaos fireballs start doing 400 damage, fully upgraded all around weith equip boosts you shoudl be melting pretty much everything in the game darn fast...even bosses.....especialy capra...he is my favourite to melt with the lava from the chaos balls...only takes 2.

Mxrz

You haven't tried maxing your lightning, emit force, and possibly even the sunlight spears I gather....using the rign of frist born sun, you can get 1k per spear x5 ...only crystal homing arrows have more potential power bu they miss alot, spears are more accurate and don't miss at close range. Pyro doesn't touch magic or faith for power ...but I get your point about splash if you like firestorm over wrath of god.

I'll play around with it a bit. I had 50 faith on my first character, and I don't recall lightning bolts one-shotting the skeletal dogs & Giants. I've never seen Wrath of God do much damage outside of low levels. People seem to use it more for the knockdown. I've seen people try to spam it for damage at the high level, and its just funny, especially with higher m.defense.

I use G.Combustion & Chaos fireball a lot in pvp at the mid levels. The lava aftereffect has been great for spacing hosts and phantoms, even if it only last a second or two, people tend to react to it. I don't know if I'd try mid fight, even with high dex. Its more for baiting.

* Dorked around with the Hallows and the Baldur Knights at the Parish in NG+++ or so. The damage between Greater Lightning Spear and Chaos fireball (1st/initial hit) are about the same, given armor. This is with 50 Faith & Darkmoon talisman, and a +5 pyro flame.

563w, 542b - Greater Lightning spear
551w, 533b - Chaos fireball

691w, 681b - Greater lightning spear w/ First born ring.
706w, 671b - Chaos fireball w/ Dragoncrest ring.

961w, 841b - Chaos storm w/ ring.
541w - Emit force w/ ring
608w - Wotg w/ring.

Didn't test Sunlight spear since you need to be a sunbro to use it, and I use this character for muling now. I don't recall it being all that big an improvement over Greater. Anyhow I'd still say thats pretty big advantage since you don't need any stats to get it vs a full 50 faith. Should try my mage, but i know I've cracked 1k damage with her with 50 int w/ rings. And she's only in NG+ so weaker enemies, too.

** 1369w - Crystal soul spear w/ ring. Heh.

Hey Guys,

Im picking this back up after my PS3 died last year ans ook my saves with it.

Any tips for me?

IIRC people were having joy with the int/dex build...im planning on rolling a pyromancer, with a leveled up Iaito.

would that make things easier for me?

I want to be a battlemage, this might be the way....thoughts?

Mxrz

Well, depends on how much mageness you want in it, and whether you want to do sorcery damage or just buffs.

15 Int: Greater Magic weapon.
32 Int: Crystal Magic weapon & Crystal catalyst.
40-50 Int: Best Spell damage.

32 / CMW / Dex means you sacrifice elsewhere, usually memory slots, vit/endurance. More a pvp duel thing. Greater Magic weapon fares pretty well for relatively little investment in Int. High Int / Pure mage can still melee quite well with elementals, +15 fast weapon with Crystal magic weapon, Moonlight spear, and the Moonlight greatsword.

TheSeks

Is chaos fireball and firestorm any good? Trying to decide if I want to do chaos servant covenant.

Do it simply because Chaos Fireball is a two-hit spell provided they stay in the magma area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom