• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the chances I'll get the Man serpent great sword from the first two serpents in Sens? Its so tedious lol.
Have you ventured any further into the Fortress yet? There is a ring in there that will increase your item discovery rate. Wearing this + 10 humanity will usually net at least one or two drops from the lizards in the Fortress - both the Flamberge and Man-Serpent Sword are good weapons. MSS looks badass too!

Pakkidis

Seems like I misjudged sorcery in the beginning. The more I play the more I like sorcery. I'm near the end, just have to do the demon ruins and the catacombs and sorcery has been a big help in a few areas, specifically, anor londo, and a few boss battles.

Right now, I have all the spells, with 50 INT. Defeated 4 kings on my first try.

Croc

Banned
I just made it to Blighttown and it is reeking of 5-1 from Demon's Souls. I really hated that level so I'm guessing I won't like this area much. I've only tried a couple of times but I made it in to where I was on some stone wall and then to the next wooden plank area, I killed some giant octopus thing and then one of those big dudes from earlier in the area surprised me with a slam and when my character was performing the animation to stand back up he slid off of the edge.

I haven't had too much trouble with the area, the wooden planks just annoy me cause one wrong move and you're off the edge.

Edit: Went through again and this time made that jump across the gap. If it goes to the same stone wall I was at last time then I missed a bonfire. Looks like this'll be a bit easier now.

Sajjaja

I just got ganked by the Lower Undead Burg Thieve's Guild... managed to scrape out victory... retreated because I had too many souls to risk leaving down there...

This game rules.

Having to get to the capra demon through that path is the most annoying shit ever man. On top of that, you get invaded by douches who know the turmoil everyone goes through in that area....

Have you ventured any further into the Fortress yet? There is a ring in there that will increase your item discovery rate. Wearing this + 10 humanity will usually net at least one or two drops from the lizards in the Fortress - both the Flamberge and Man-Serpent Sword are good weapons. MSS looks badass too!

Yeah, I just got it last night. It's pretty cool.

Having to get to the capra demon through that path is the most annoying shit ever man. On top of that, you get invaded by douches who know the turmoil everyone goes through in that area.....
I found a shortcut between Firelink Shrine and Lower Undead Burg... no more ambushes!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I have a character (SL125) in NG+7 with more than 70 sunlight medals. If you want I can give you some since I have no use for them.

If you can do 5PM EST tonight, I can swing that. Let me know.

Jhoan

I played a ton more yesterday. I took out the Bed of Chaos in three tries; it was surprisingly easy. The damage that it deals out though is insane but otherwise, I wouldn't consider it a "boss" fight; it was more of a puzzle. I wonder why people were having a lot of trouble with this one; the Daughter of Chaos gave me more of a run for my money than this thing. But I imagine that in NG+, its hits are probably one hit K.O's.

I also explored a bit of the Kiln of the First Flame (should I spoiler that?). Visually, it looks cool but it's surprisingly short like Crystal Caves is. I took out all the Black Knight (super easy at this point), but I turned back because I'm not ready to call it in just yet.

I also completeled the Big Hat Logan side quest, made a new boss weapon, the Lifehunt Scythe, and finally got the godsend that is the Dark Wood Grain Ring. I did it by aggroing the fire monster in Blighttown which ended up getting stuck between the wall that separates the body guard and Shiva of the East killing him. Unfortunately, I had to take out Shiva of the East after his bodyguard's death caused him to aggro (I bought most of the stuff that he sells).

Now I'm contemplating on what to make with the last three boss souls that I have left (Sif, Iron Golem, and Moonlight Butterfly) and what else to do.

I've tried getting summoned in Anor Londo after joining the Sunlight Covenant but no dice (maybe 360 players just don't want to summon people).

I suppose at this point, all I can do is try to acquire any spells that I can get from the Covenants, get a couple of weapon related achievements, and invade people (using the upgraded Vega style Claw sounds like trolling fun). I might call it a game and take on Gwyn if I get really bored of doing any of that stuff.

Dyno

Now I'm contemplating on what to make with the last three boss souls that I have left (Sif, Iron Golem, and Moonlight Butterfly) and what else to do.

Sif's soul and a +10 Shield makes a great item. No effects build up from things like bleeding, poison, toxin, and curse - though only for direct attacks.

Very helpful for a second playthrough.

Croc

Banned
Awww yeah the time I finally beat Quelaag I beat her without getting hit once. It seemed like one of those fights that just seems very intimidating at first but actually isn't that difficult once you get that pattern down.

Croc

Banned
What am I supposed to do after defeating Quelaag? It showed a cutscene of that gate opening up above but there's also the area right after the belltower in Quelaag's domain. Is one significantly easier than the other?

TheSeks

Okay, so I'll ask again: Where is a good place to be summoned five times at soul level 100-120?

What am I supposed to do after defeating Quelaag? It showed a cutscene of that gate opening up above but there's also the area right after the belltower in Quelaag's domain. Is one significantly easier than the other?
You can have a look around the Demon Ruins but most of it is out of bounds until you do the next boss down there - you can go for that if you feel like doing another boss straight away.

Since the cutscene tells you Sen's Fortress is now open, that is the logical route. It's also one of the best areas of the game IMO.

Jhoan

Sif's soul and a +10 Shield makes a great item. No effects build up from things like bleeding, poison, toxin, and curse - though only for direct attacks.

Very helpful for a second playthrough.
Will do. I was thinking of either making the Greatsword of Artorias or the shield but I'll go with the shield.
Are you dropping it in the bonfire room? That's the place most people look for summons.
Yeah that's where I drop them at but it takes ages to get summoned. Some times, I'll remove the sign and place it again but no dice. I thought that covenant was supposed to make it easier to get summoned but it seems that people don't need to summon.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I recall reading somewhere that you earn humanity when people +1 your messages. Is this accurate? Does it just automatically go into your humanity bank or does the game notify you in some way? I don't think anyone has rated my messages yet lol

Can you only place summon markers in certain areas (i.e. for boss fights) or can they actually be placed at the start of a level and you basically co-op the entire area through the boss fight? Getting owned in Sen's fortress so far...heh

Sometimes I wish I didn't have to read a FAQ just to learn about certain game mechanics but I guess that's part of the draw to the game...you're supposed to learn about the game and world by experimenting and exploring.

CatPee

O&S's battle music is so good. I could listen to it all day.

I recall reading somewhere that you earn humanity when people +1 your messages. Is this accurate? Does it just automatically go into your humanity bank or does the game notify you in some way? I don't think anyone has rated my messages yet lol

Can you only place summon markers in certain areas (i.e. for boss fights) or can they actually be placed at the start of a level and you basically co-op the entire area through the boss fight? Getting owned in Sen's fortress so far...heh

Sometimes I wish I didn't have to read a FAQ just to learn about certain game mechanics but I guess that's part of the draw to the game...you're supposed to learn about the game and world by experimenting and exploring.

You get 1 Estus with a + rating, not Humanity. You sometimes get Humanity (up to 10) from defeating an enemy in an area where you haven't beaten the boss.

You can slap the sign down at the beginning. Most people prefer that since they like help throughout an entire area, not just with the boss.

RedAssedApe

Banned
O&S's battle music is so good. I could listen to it all day.

You get 1 Estus with a + rating, not Humanity. You sometimes get Humanity (up to 10) from defeating an enemy in an area where you haven't beaten the boss.

You can slap the sign down at the beginning. Most people prefer that since they like help throughout an entire area, not just with the boss.

Ah that probably explains the random Estes flasks I sometimes get during the game. Lol

Pakkidis

I just beat the game a second time with the sorcerer. Crystal homing soulmass makes boss battles a joke. The last boss was nothing compared to my first play through with a knight.

Any recommendations for a third play through. Obviously something very different than a pure knight or spell warrior?

NBtoaster

I might be having the luckiest playthrough ever.

First, guy invades me (while I'm level 2 or so), and gives me a Demon's Spear+5
Then I get Black Knight Sword from the first knight
Then the Channeler in the Parish drops the Trident.
Now I just got the Gargoyle halberd, Helmet and shield from the two in Anor Londo.

Go me ;p

Sajjaja

I just beat the game a second time with the sorcerer. Crystal homing soulmass makes boss battles a joke. The last boss was nothing compared to my first play through with a knight.

Any recommendations for a third play through. Obviously something very different than a pure knight or spell warrior?

Dex/Faith glass cannon.

What's this icon on my screen?... looks like a scroll with a blue arrow pointing up under my fatigue bar

Edit: It's my Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring buff

The funniest message I've seen so far - In the painting room in Anor Londo, at the feet of the statue of Gwynevere, it read: "Forest ahead" !!

Ah that probably explains the random Estes flasks I sometimes get during the game. Lol
If you're near a bonfire when someone else kindles it you get an Estus too - you've probably noticed occasionally a random sound effect and white/orange flash above/sucked into your character.

TheSeks

Well, finally 120 SL. Build done in a fashion, but the sword only does 314 damage against the starting Undead Burg zombies. :/

If you're near a bonfire when someone else kindles it you get an Estus too - you've probably noticed occasionally a random sound effect and white/orange flash above/sucked into your character.

It's last used, your kindle, next used. Actually.

TheSeks

Yeah, or at least that's what the wiki says. I can't confirm next used personally.

Croc

Banned
Could someone bother explaining catalysts to me? I don't really understand how to tell if one is better than another or what difference using another one will make. I'm in Sen's Fortress and still using the starting one so I dunno if I should have upgraded awhile ago or what.

xmShake

Neo Member
Could someone bother explaining catalysts to me? I don't really understand how to tell if one is better than another or what difference using another one will make. I'm in Sen's Fortress and still using the starting one so I dunno if I should have upgraded awhile ago or what.
Basically you just need to look at the magic adjust stat. Higher magic adjust = more damage. You'll get more magic adjust depending on int stat scaling so be sure to take that into account.

2AdEPT

The dusk oolacile catalyst is better (by quite a bit actually) than the starting one. It is acquired through purchase but you have to kill the hydra in the garden first, then figure out how to save a maiden in distress within the immediate area...also gives the DUsk crown which boosts magic furhter and is indespensible actually.....hold all progress until acquring these items and enjoy being more powerful through more of the game. You will eventually get more cataylsts to choose from as the game progresses. I fyou are a magic character you prolly already made it too far for it to be useful but there is one in Blighttown that can be used as a stab weapon that deals big damage for magic characters and is better than the startign one for magic as well. There is a fire damage one later and others that give huge damage boost for stats and/or bonus/penalties for use....so in certain situations one will be beat anohter, but not in all situations. You will be trading your catalysts in and out to maximixe their usefulness.

TheSeks

Man, stats start to scale at 50 don't they? Grinding levels out and hit 50 in STR and it seems to not give a huge boost in stats...

MechaX

I might be having the luckiest playthrough ever.

First, guy invades me (while I'm level 2 or so), and gives me a Demon's Spear+5
Then I get Black Knight Sword from the first knight
Then the Channeler in the Parish drops the Trident.
Now I just got the Gargoyle halberd, Helmet and shield from the two in Anor Londo.

Go me ;p

Lucky bastard. I still don't have that Trident and I have been playing since launch.

My first playthrough was with a thief/pyromancer build. The bosses were tough but the regular enemies were a cakewalk, most of the time.

Doing a second playthrough now as a pure sorcerer build, and I'm finding the common enemies are a lot tougher but the bosses are a breeze. So far the only boss that gave me trouble was the damn Capra Demon. Of course, I just got to Ornstein & Smough so we'll see how that goes. Also, I've been trying to get summoned to help with boss battles (currently waiting outside O&S with no luck at lvl 42) but have yet to be summoned once. Sad day.

For my third playthrough I'm definitely going to go paladin build with heavy armor + faith. However I'm not sure if I should start as a Knight and build my Faith up, or start as a Cleric and build my Strength up. Thoughts?

EDIT: Sonuvabitch. Fighting O&S, had another player + Solaire helping me. Didn't get hit the entire battle, except at the very end, Smough literally had like one or two hits left, and he gets me with his hammer charge and kills me in one hit. DAMMIT.

I just explored the nasty Depths and slew the Gaping Dragon... I opened the gate to Blighttown but I don't wanna go in... anywhere else I should go first?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just explored the nasty Depths and slew the Gaping Dragon... I opened the gate to Blighttown but I don't wanna go in... anywhere else I should go first?

Blight Town is fun when you realize that the poison dart shooters stay dead permanently.

TheSeks

lol dude's not that bad once you beat him. In fact he becomes your bitch later on when there's clones of him.

And he's pretty bad if you continue to fuck up the first dodge.

My goal for my next build is to be set-up so I can just tank the first attack instead of having to fucking dodge every time.

Also, is there a point to doing anything in the Forest Hunter covenant if you aren't lvl 100/have a PvP build ready? Because I tried a few invasions and had one success and the rest were teams that kicked my ass. I knew the Forest was PvP hunting grounds, but thought I'd give the covenant a try. I think I prefer Blade of the Darkmoon/Gravelord Servant.

Kogepan

Ugh. Capra demon can go fuck himself.

run the the stairs in the back right after u enter. Capra demon will follow u up....jump down.
Demon will then jump down as well, you can get free shots in on him when he lands. Rinse and repeat.

oh, first trip down u need to kill his dogs.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Can anybody absolutely confirm that pumping 45 Dex improves pyro casting times? I'm already at 40 and would rather pump into Faith if it's not worth it.

Stats are:

Vit = 60
Att = 23
End = 40
Stg = 50
Dex = 40
Res = 10
Int = 10
Faith = 34

I'm basically a melee character that relies on a Ascended Pyro Flame +5 quite often, but I'm currently pumping more into faith to make full use of those cool abilities (lightning spears, homeward, sunlight & darkmoon blade). So I'm trying to get faith up to 50. Any other areas I should try to focus on? Although I'm not interested in a 58 Stg just to wield Smough's Hammer.

krakov

Can anybody absolutely confirm that pumping 45 Dex improves pyro casting times? I'm already at 40 and would rather pump into Faith if it's not worth it.

Stats are:

Vit = 60
Att = 23
End = 40
Stg = 50
Dex = 40
Res = 10
Int = 10
Faith = 34

I'm basically a melee character that relies on a Ascended Pyro Flame +5 quite often, but I'm currently pumping more into faith to make full use of those cool abilities (lightning spears, homeward, sunlight & darkmoon blade). So I'm trying to get faith up to 50. Any other areas I should try to focus on? Although I'm not interested in a 58 Stg just to wield Smough's Hammer.

You don't seem to be aiming for a specific SL, so just do whatever and then do the other stuff later. My suggestion though would be to reroll and do something different.

ArynCrinn

Banned
You don't seem to be aiming for a specific SL, so just do whatever and then do the other stuff later. My suggestion though would be to reroll and do something different.

Thanks for the input, I just didn't know if a 45 Dex made pyro casting tangibly better. But yeah, I'm not really aiming for a specific SL for PvP/PvE, I'm just rolling the exact same character playthrough through playthrough. On NG++++ now, so any improvements here or there I could use. That's why I'm focusing on Faith, no way to really accrue enough souls to grind a 30-50 Int at my level, without glitching... :(

TheSeks

Shit. I accidentally hit the Giant Blacksmith and made him hostile. Please tell me there's a way to unhostile him? D: Otherwise do any of the boss souls I don't consume or have used yet carry over to NG+?

lilty

Shit. I accidentally hit the Giant Blacksmith and made him hostile. Please tell me there's a way to unhostile him? D: Otherwise do any of the boss souls I don't consume or have used yet carry over to NG+?

Talk to the guy below the first bell (Gargoyles) and you can request absolution. Just avoid the blacksmith until you do that and you'll be find. Bring a lot of souls though, it's quite expensive.

Edit: Boss souls will carry over. All items do except the Artorias ring and the rite of kindling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom