• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croc

Banned
Okay I am having some trouble with the Capra Demon. I have fought him 3 or 4 times and I can't even get past him to get away from the initial attack. Every single time I've gotten to about even with him (like 2 steps in the arena pretty much) and then his attack dogs surround me, trapping me and killing me.

Roche

Okay I am having some trouble with the Capra Demon. I have fought him 3 or 4 times and I can't even get past him to get away from the initial attack. Every single time I've gotten to about even with him (like 2 steps in the arena pretty much) and then his attack dogs surround me, trapping me and killing me.

Try switching up your gear to allow you to roll faster to get out of the way, generally heavy rolling will get you killed. I find the best tactic is to roll behind him right out the gate, head up the stairs (this allows you to kill his dogs) once the dogs are taken care of you can avoid his attacks easier by rolling and taking it slow.

Croc

Banned
Try switching up your gear to allow you to roll faster to get out of the way, generally heavy rolling will get you killed. I find the best tactic is to roll behind him right out the gate, head up the stairs (this allows you to kill his dogs) once the dogs are taken care of you can avoid his attacks easier by rolling and taking it slow.

My equip load is 16.5/63.6 so I think I'm as light as I can get. Also I was always rolling for the stairs (except for the first time maybe) but he still keeps on trapping me. I think I might just wait outside his door and see if I can get someone that I can summon.

A summon can be useful, but it's such a tight space, if you're having trouble you can get smacked as you walk through the fog just like if you do it solo before the helper has even come through themselves.

Rolling is definately the way to go - it's not difficult at all to dodge his attacks because you see them coming so early - rolling into him or past him, not backwards is the thing to do. Then take out at least 1 dog whilst he is recovering. Once the dogs are gone, there should be no problem at all. But as I said on the last page, it doesn't matter how many times you do Capra, you can still get smashed by him, it's just a case of keep on trying and using the roll and stairs to your advantage.

It's fresh in my mind since I just did it with my mage-archer, I used a dagger which I wouldn't recommend, but it has speed which I think is important for this boss.

Jhoan

Anyone know what the state of PvP on the 360 is? It's been a few months since I last played so I've been out of the loop. Are there still new players coming in or does it seem to be a lot of veterans and this point?

Any new cheese builds I should know about?

I think it's still going strong. I got invaded by some pretty strong players who took me out with either back stabs or usually in one blow last week. I'm not quite sure if new players invade. I've come across a few weak ones after getting summoned into another player's world although one took me out with one spell. Co-op is going strong too.

For the most part the biggest trend right now is players using the Dark Wood Grain Ring but I don't know if that's really a cheese. I haven't come across any players decked out in Havel Armor (which is good).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Getting a summon from the cat, transforming into a tree and watching the host kill invaders that aren't me, and then disconnect after an hour of trying to find me never gets old.

I just wish I'd get souls for the invaders that aren't me that die. :( No good farming this way, I think I need to just get the last two weapons this dude sells and then kill him.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Getting a summon from the cat, transforming into a tree and watching the host kill invaders that aren't me, and then disconnect after an hour of trying to find me never gets old.

I just wish I'd get souls for the invaders that aren't me that die. :( No good farming this way, I think I need to just get the last two weapons this dude sells and then kill him.
Lol wth. How do you turn into a tree. Something to do with the forest covenant?

TheSeks

"YOU CAN'T CUT FUNDING RUN FROM OUR CAT CONVENT! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!" *Chaos Fireball two, kill both the bitches in Blighttown*

"Yeah, as if I'm stepping foot in that town until NG+ again. Thanks for the swords."

Got a Murakumo and shield. Meh.

Now to look up the online convents required for miracles and weapons.

Gravelord only requires 10 eye of deaths (farm from Baslisks in depths) for their miracle.
Sunbros only requires one more medal (join and get that I guess)
Darkmoon: Join don't need the blade or Talisman. Simply join and then leave. Simple.

Guess I'll join Princess Guard really fast and then I need to worry about getting to the Ash Lake for the Dragon Convent and then that leaves these three to do...

Soulhouf

So sad...

IMG_3305.jpg

The voices in this game are so good.

BTW I got 4 slabs in the Great Hollow for the first time in like 20 runs through the game or so. This is the very first time I bother killing all the Cristal lizards there, that's why I guess. I didn't know that every one had a chance to drop a slab...

Grinchy

Banned
My brother and I have been playing co-op a lot lately. We even made brand new characters together to co-op every possible area together. This is a whole different game when you are always in human form. It's also a lot different when you always have a co-op partner.

The only annoying thing is the people who use the glitch where they start a new character with all the items from another character. There are like level 12 people running around ganking everyone with unobtainable gear.

Pollux

I've decided to do a little more exploring before going back towards the Capra Demon and I've ended up in a place called Darkroot Garden...is this a viable path or should I just turn back and fight Capra?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I've decided to do a little more exploring before going back towards the Capra Demon and I've ended up in a place called Darkroot Garden...is this a viable path or should I just turn back and fight Capra?

Maybe you could just watch a youtube tutorial so you can get a visual of what you need to do and the timing for the Capra demon fight?

Darkroot Garden and Basin are both OK early on. I wouldn't do any of the bosses - except Moonlight Butterfly maybe, it is one of the easiest in the game. Easy to take out very early on if you're a magic user or good at rolling/being patient for non-magic users, the NPC summon can pretty much do it solo for you!

There are some respawning NPCs in the forest that can be used to farm souls too and plenty of loot around. The crest of Astoria purchased from the blacksmith opens a shortcut door so is useful for farming but does cost 20,000 souls (you make more than that back in just two runs of NPC farming).

The Garden is big for invading though, so expect phantoms at pretty much any level.

TheSeks

All convents done. Just need to get one last Sunbro medal but I'm sticking with the PRAISE THE SUNS.

Now to finish mopping up the miracles, pyromancies, and spells. Which means continuing further into the game. :/ And then worry about the weapons right before the end. :/

Sajjaja

Fucking hate Capra demon....SO MUCH. ALL OF LOWER UNDEAD BURG IS SHIT. New character , faith/str based... its so hard compared to dex....

The only annoying thing is the people who use the glitch where they start a new character with all the items from another character. There are like level 12 people running around ganking everyone with unobtainable gear.

oh it's obtainable stuff, i've got a number of builds that you'd say look like I've done that trick but it's all legitimately gotten. but i agree it can be a pain especially to newcomers.

Mxrz

Does iron flesh actually do anything. I tried it out just for fun when fighting the stray demon boss and he still one hot me. Lol

Its really good vs the 4 Kings. It ups your defense & poise a fair amount. Before it was nerfed, it was a little too good.

If you're having trouble with the Capra, try upgrading your weapon a bit. You can also ignore the fog gate, run down the stairs, around and up the tower, into the water way, and find the female undead merchant who sells charcoal resin. Not as good as pine/lightning resin, but every little bit helps.

TheSeks

Fuck. Apparently I need to rank up in Darkmoon to get a miracle. So I had to drop sunbros (after getting their two miracles) and go back to Darkmoon.

Is there any offline way to get the items to rank up Darkmoon or am I fucked and have to invade?

Holy shit, I just saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfBLMp7FYTI&feature=g-vrec

I had no idea this weapon even existed. It has a fucking uppercut!

Hahaha, I got that today with the bosses soul (Giant Golem or something like that), but haven't used it. Fists in the Souls series is hilarious if you put time and energy into upgrading their damages. People don't expect you to bare-fist beat them down.

Fuck. Apparently I need to rank up in Darkmoon to get a miracle. So I had to drop sunbros (after getting their two miracles) and go back to Darkmoon.

Is there any offline way to get the items to rank up Darkmoon or am I fucked and have to invade?

The crow people in painted world drop souvenirs.

TheSeks

I've been neglecting the painted world. Guess I chart course there tomorrow to get these items to rank the convent up. After that, everything I need is either treasures or drops. >_>

So I've discovered the joy of clearing out an area, dying, respawning at a distant campfire, making my way back to may bloodstain, then getting murdered by enemies that I didn't take as seriously the first time, because, hey, I already beat these dudes.

smh

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I've discovered the joy of clearing out an area, dying, respawning at a distant campfire, making my way back to may bloodstain, then getting murdered by enemies that I didn't take as seriously the first time, because, hey, I already beat these dudes.

smh

At least you didn't roll off a cliff.

TheSeks

I've been using the Dark Wraith armor. Worthy upgrade from Elite Knight set or?

Roche

I've been using the Dark Wraith armor. Worthy upgrade from Elite Knight set or?

I used that set for a while myself, I really liked the look of it and it has some decent stats but when I started to PvP I soon learned there was much better results to be found by mixing and matching different sets.

I usually mix bits and pieces from heavy sets such as Havel's or the Giant Set for the poise with stuff from the lighter to mid sets such as the Paladin's set or something from the Armor of Thorns for some mobility.

I don't really know where you're at in terms of choice but I do think you should mix it up a bit.

2AdEPT

I'll play around with it a bit. I had 50 faith on my first character, and I don't recall lightning bolts one-shotting the skeletal dogs & Giants. I've never seen Wrath of God do much damage outside of low levels. People seem to use it more for the knockdown. I've seen people try to spam it for damage at the high level, and its just funny, especially with higher m.defense.

I use G.Combustion & Chaos fireball a lot in pvp at the mid levels. The lava aftereffect has been great for spacing hosts and phantoms, even if it only last a second or two, people tend to react to it. I don't know if I'd try mid fight, even with high dex. Its more for baiting.

* Dorked around with the Hallows and the Baldur Knights at the Parish in NG+++ or so. The damage between Greater Lightning Spear and Chaos fireball (1st/initial hit) are about the same, given armor. This is with 50 Faith & Darkmoon talisman, and a +5 pyro flame.

563w, 542b - Greater Lightning spear
551w, 533b - Chaos fireball

691w, 681b - Greater lightning spear w/ First born ring.
706w, 671b - Chaos fireball w/ Dragoncrest ring.

961w, 841b - Chaos storm w/ ring.
541w - Emit force w/ ring
608w - Wotg w/ring.

Didn't test Sunlight spear since you need to be a sunbro to use it, and I use this character for muling now. I don't recall it being all that big an improvement over Greater. Anyhow I'd still say thats pretty big advantage since you don't need any stats to get it vs a full 50 faith. Should try my mage, but i know I've cracked 1k damage with her with 50 int w/ rings. And she's only in NG+ so weaker enemies, too.

** 1369w - Crystal soul spear w/ ring. Heh.
Yeah there are advantages to pyro but the worst is the uses....at least with spears and emit force you get a tonne of uses...adding up the TOTAL damage from a good three or four attunement slots obviously favours Magic or faith over pyro....not saying I hate it or antythign as I use it all the time....just that faith often gets ignored and unjustly so....defintely try the sunlight spears sometime...

The garden is great...if you make your way to the basin there are loads of cool items and an NPC to find, as well as a scary looking but actually beatable at any level demi-boss. YOu are definitely on teh right track now that you are exploring...indeed form there you can find the backway to blighttown...check it out..teh worst that can happen is you homeward bone out of there and go back to Capra, but it is worth checking out either way.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This game makes me feel like I suck at video games. LOL. Its weird though...difficulty spike is all over the place. I really hate when you run into a new enemy and they are able to just one shot or two-shot you. Sigh...at this rate the only time I can level up is after I beat a boss or from soul item pickups.

Time to slowly grind through Sen's fortress. Frigging traps...

This game makes me feel like I suck at video games. LOL. Its weird though...difficulty spike is all over the place. I really hate when you run into a new enemy and they are able to just one shot or two-shot you. Sigh...at this rate the only time I can level up is after I beat a boss or from soul item pickups.

Time to slowly grind through Sen's fortress. Frigging traps...

I'd say there are 1 & ½ big difficulty spikes in the game: first one being Sen's Fortress and the other is Duke's Archieves because the enemies are plentiful, fast and have super poise.

On my first playthrough I had to grind in Anor Londo, because I trusted too much on Drake Sword and boy does it get weak when you hit Sen's

TheSeks

Well, fuck, I forgot my leaving sunbros resets the rank. So that's 10 medals down the drain.

Where is a good place to be summoned at like 100-110 in the game so I can get these ten medals again and then worry about Gwyn for this last convent miracle. :|

Soulhouf

Well, fuck, I forgot my leaving sunbros resets the rank. So that's 10 medals down the drain.

Where is a good place to be summoned at like 100-110 in the game so I can get these ten medals again and then worry about Gwyn for this last convent miracle. :|

I have a character (SL125) in NG+7 with more than 70 sunlight medals. If you want I can give you some since I have no use for them.

krakov

4K or Gwyn is probably your best bet. Be ready for NG+ games mostly.

Redd

If you need Sunlight medals fast you can just farm those bugs on the shortcut path to Izalith. You might have to be rank 2 in the Chaos Covenant though.

I think there is a mismatch sometimes between the turning tower in Anor Londo because sometimes you see invaders walk across thin air there - like they're at at ground level when the tower is all the way up, unless there is an invisible path?

Also, so many salty messages from invaders who don't like when you're not just going to "duel" or stand there waiting for them to lagstab you - yeah, we're going to have a little game of tag ALL OVER this map, you have to work for your supper! Hornet ring won't help you in this battle! XD

TheSeks

I think there is a mismatch sometimes between the turning tower in Anor Londo because sometimes you see invaders walk across thin air there - like they're at at ground level when the tower is all the way up, unless there is an invisible path?

You can get into the "ledge"s before the thing stops turning. There's a small "ghost" section that follows the turning for the sake of lag compensation. Are you talking about that?

You can get into the "ledge"s before the thing stops turning. There's a small "ghost" section that follows the turning for the sake of lag compensation. Are you talking about that?
Not really no. Say when I'm on the top level, and the tower is all the way up too, sometimes invaders will materialise down where the lever is at the bottom of the stairs to the two giants at the door. They will walk across thin air, where the tower would connect if it was down at that level, but it isn't there. The same goes for the opposite side where you fight the first gargoyle, which is the other spot for invaders to enter.

Either there is an invisible walkway, or in their game they are seeing the tower at their level, not mine. Weird.

lilty

If you're going for the souvenirs of reprisals don't bother in the painted world. Just be a dick and invade in Sen's Fortress or something.

Dude Abides

Banned
Picked this back up after putting it down for several months and fucking Smough and Orenstein are owning my ass. I can kill Smough no problem but super Orenstein just spams his lightning butt stomp if I get close enough to wack at him. Solaire is next to useless and it doesn't help that I get invaded 75% of the time that I use humanity.

Jb

Picked this back up after putting it down for several months and fucking Smough and Orenstein are owning my ass. I can kill Smough no problem but super Orenstein just spams his lightning butt stomp if I get close enough to wack at him. Solaire is next to useless and it doesn't help that I get invaded 75% of the time that I use humanity.

Why not kill Ornstein first? Unless you want his armor obviously.

On an unrelated note, is there any point in getting to rank 4 for the chaos covenant (spider lady)? I'm thinking I might drop it and join the dragon team now that I reached Ash Lake.

2AdEPT

It doesn't fully reset...gives you half of what you had before...you won't need as many as you think.

Remember there are quite a few laying around...three in the chest in the room accross from the bonfire in anor lando is a start if you haven't gotten those already....and as was mentioned there are a few to get from the bugs in the passage to izalith....plus Queelag is the higher level of the two bell bosses and tends to get lots of action from sunbros (despite solaire not a possibility.) It won't take very long to get the medals; i have never had a problem getting medals in a playthrough eve switching out like you did...but I do co-op a tonne.

TheSeks

If you're going for the souvenirs of reprisals don't bother in the painted world. Just be a dick and invade in Sen's Fortress or something.

Didn't take more than 45 mins in Painted World NG for me. Wasn't that bad.

don't need as many as you think

I still need 5 in that case to get back to Rank 1 to where I can offer Gwyn's soul and get the last Convent related spell I need. Which is still tedious. I may take up that offer on just being given those medals.

Kogepan

Didn't take more than 45 mins in Painted World NG for me. Wasn't that bad.

I still need 5 in that case to get back to Rank 1 to where I can offer Gwyn's soul and get the last Convent related spell I need. Which is still tedious. I may take up that offer on just being given those medals.

Just lay down ur summon to help with the Orstein and Smough boss. I helped 4-5 guys beat the boss within an hour and a half and got a nice number of souls as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom