• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Is it a helmet? I don't seem to have it :/

Yeah, it's a helm, which is dropped by a certain group of maggots in Lost Izalith. It's located out of the main path if you don't take the Chaos shortcut, though.

If it's your first time in Tombs it's well worth it to go back and grab it.

cnizzle06

Banned
Yeah, it's a helm, which is dropped by a certain group of maggots in Lost Izalith. It's located out of the main path if you don't take the Chaos shortcut, though.

If it's your first time in Tombs it's well worth it to go back and grab it.

Eh, so far the lantern seems sufficient. These skeleton dogs suck though.

Alucrid

Banned
Only need two more rare weapons but NG+ Four Kings is kicking my ass. Any tips? I'm a dex char using a +10 fire uchigatana.

I had a great invader kill though. Ran down an elevator and he jumped down after me, ran out and attacked him a bit, then ran back into the elevator. He didn't get on in time so I waited at the top for him to use it and then just did a plunging attack as he came up.

Im trying to get the Dark Wood Grain Ring. Does it matter where I kill Shive of the East and his body guard to get it? A lot of online guides have stated that you kill him at the Darkroot Garden and not in Blightown. I went back to Darkroot garden to kill him after buying his wares and now he isnt there. Is there something Im missing?

cnizzle06

Banned
Im trying to get the Dark Wood Grain Ring. Does it matter where I kill Shive of the East and his body guard to get it? A lot of online guides have stated that you kill him at the Darkroot Garden and not in Blightown. I went back to Darkroot garden to kill him after buying his wares and now he isnt there. Is there something Im missing?

I killed him in Blightown and got the ring.

So the fire has been lit and the door has opened. The only question is are there other things I should accomplish before passing through the fog?

Dresden

Kill him in blighttown, you only kill him at darkroot if you don't want to bother with buying the merchandise.

Soulhouf

as mentioned there are always ways to glitch....but I have not bothered with the new way to get souls....souls are not important for me because I love PVP and am interested to experience each level of multiplayer as I go along and I don't upgrade as much either anymore. Last character I did was a no-upgrade no level SL1 pyro. Was able to get stone Armour working early with DWGR and Havels and found the occult club and downgraded to Divine so it would work in catacombs. Stuck at O &S and will likely summon but only someone that is also doing a similar SL1 or 2 run.....got a new rig so diverted my attention there obviously but will come back to it.

yeah your scythe is a well acclaimed weapon...but I have not used the bleed affect of any weapon much....similar to what happens to you though, the bar has to build past a certain point and will decrease quickly if you don't throw another swing...hence a flurry of combo shots...I would guess three or four are needed to trigger the bleed.

yeah no worries about your leveling....each to their own....but I have found a lot of fun in starting over and re-experiencing the lower levels again rather than do NG+'s although really there is not much difference anymore especially if you bottom box glitch (this glitch I still use on occasion as it is more valuable to have certain gear as it is to have it leveled high.)

I will soon start my no upgrade/no level up run.
I have a question though. Is there any exception to what you upgrade, like say, the pyro flame, or the rule is "use the weapons/armors you find and never upgrade them". So when you find an already upgraded weapon (like the occult club) it's fine.

Just hit 60 hours, the last twenty of which I've plugged in since Friday. Haven't played the game since last December or so... man... why did I quit this game?

Level 42 Thief. Cleared the Capra Demon, Moonlight Butterfly, Darkroot Garden, 3/4 of the Catacombs, 3/4 of the Depths... all in a Friday evening and Saturday marathon. On my way to Blighttown soon enough, after I beat the dragon in the Depths. I love this game.

Still apprehensive of doing any more boss fights for a while though. I've got my Humanity up to 13 to get some rarer item drops (shards to upgrade armor and weapons) and I don't want to accidentally lose it all. Although those Rats in the Depths are awesome for dropping Humanity.

I'm thinking of tackling Pinwheel next. Is he relatively difficult?

Also, one other question. The dark souls wiki page shows the Thief Mask as having a hood. Mine only has the mask. Does the actual armor piece change in appearance as you upgrade it? Or is their picture bunk?

gotoadgo

I'm thinking of tackling Pinwheel next. Is he relatively difficult?
If you have any fire based magics/weapons use them and watch him go down in about 5 seconds flat. The first time I fought him I didn't even realise he was coming up. Smoked him before he got any of his attacks off.

If you have any fire based magics/weapons use them and watch him go down in about 5 seconds flat. The first time I fought him I didn't even realise he was coming up. Smoked him before he got any of his attacks off.

I have about 30 firebombs and learned the basic fireball spell from the Pyro I saved in the Depths (to kill those goddamned slimes easier).

Good to know. I'll tackle his ass tomorrow.

2AdEPT

That's a great idea actually, I'll stick to upping 3 stats then (like I did in Demon Souls) and use magic via pyromancy. In terms of weapons I'll go for swords and spears and save Katanas and rapiers for another playthrough (along with magic like Soul arrow etc).

Thanks bro.

Will do *jots ID down*

And you weren't kidding about the lightning spear, the damage is so sweet even at just +2. Drake sword abandoned. Really diggin the extra range on a spear.
like I said I am not on much as I am working through some PC games right now but will dust off the PS3 if you PM me first here.

He stays on blightown if you trigger him there...must kill him there now....although not sure what will happen if you aggro, do not kill then absolve sins?

I will soon start my no upgrade/no level up run.
I have a question though. Is there any exception to what you upgrade, like say, the pyro flame, or the rule is "use the weapons/armors you find and never upgrade them". So when you find an already upgraded weapon (like the occult club) it's fine.

Not too picky, but my idea was not to upgrade anything....no pyro, no weapons, no armour. Yes, I justified the occult club downgrade to divine as it was the way I found it it and down grading is allowed where upgrading is not! ;) I am thinking of allowing a SL2 cleric in though as with even one level in dex so many weapons open up....PM me on here first if you wanna do S&O. I am off work another week and loving my new rig so am not on the ps3 a lot lately.

He stays on blightown if you trigger him there...must kill him there now....although not sure what will happen if you aggro, do not kill then absolve sins?

I didnt kill him just his bodyguard. I read that if you absolve your sins hes goes back to being a merchant as if nothing happened.

Soulhouf

Not too picky, but my idea was not to upgrade anything....no pyro, no weapons, no armour. Yes, I justified the occult club downgrade to divine as it was the way I found it it and down grading is allowed where upgrading is not! ;) I am thinking of allowing a SL2 cleric in though as with even one level in dex so many weapons open up....PM me on here first if you wanna do S&O. I am off work another week and loving my new rig so am not on the ps3 a lot lately.

I see... Ok I will stick to that rule and see what I can do, thanks.
Cleric dex is only 8 (pyro dex = 9). How stats are distributed for the cleric make him harder to use than the pyro if you want to do a starting SL run.

Also, one other question. The dark souls wiki page shows the Thief Mask as having a hood. Mine only has the mask. Does the actual armor piece change in appearance as you upgrade it? Or is their picture bunk?
Some items look different on male/female characters. I'm not sure about the Thief mask, but this is probably the case, pretty sure I've only ever used it on a female character and it's just a mask.

Pharis' hat also changes from a little hat to a longer Robin Hood type cap on men.

MedIC86

When the pc port is coming next week im gonna replay DS since launch (i have it on PS3). I finished the game a couple of times and ending up with a SL172 pyro. When i was playing there werent any patches so i missed all that stuff.

My question: Did anything major was removed/added during the patches (i believe 1.05 now). I've read most patch notes and didnt find anything to big (except the nerfing of gold hemmed set nooo :(). Maybe you guys noticed some special stuff or things that annoyed you.

cnizzle06

Banned
Been playing as the dark moon covenant which has been pretty enjoyable. I've had my ass handed to me more than a few times :p.

Think I'm gonna push back through blight town then go through The Hollow to join that other covenant down there and possibly try to kill that giant water creature (think I have that right). Is there anything I should know before doing so? Also, I abandoned the darkmoon temporarily to get the light/sun convenant trophy. Does that completely restart my contributions count?

2AdEPT

I see... Ok I will stick to that rule and see what I can do, thanks.
Cleric dex is only 8 (pyro dex = 9). How stats are distributed for the cleric make him harder to use than the pyro if you want to do a starting SL run.
oh ok that sucks.....I really believe it is more important a handicap to not allow upgrades vs. SL...even SL 5 or 10 is no big deal really as the difference is minute. I don't want to sound like a tight ass but I did want to try to do this in a way that was seriously compromised....not just mildly nerfed. That said I know there are much better players than me out there that probably would not have much of a problem doing the O&S and 4 kings this way....I am just not that great a player!! :p
My question: Did anything major was removed/added during the patches (i believe 1.05 now). I've read most patch notes and didnt find anything to big (except the nerfing of gold hemmed set nooo :(). Maybe you guys noticed some special stuff or things that annoyed you.
For the most part patch 1.05 made things more balanced and better imo.
Been playing as the dark moon covenant which has been pretty enjoyable. I've had my ass handed to me more than a few times :p.

Think I'm gonna push back through blight town then go through The Hollow to join that other covenant down there and possibly try to kill that giant water creature (think I have that right). Is there anything I should know before doing so? Also, I abandoned the darkmoon temporarily to get the light/sun convenant trophy. Does that completely restart my contributions count?
not really anything to warn about...once its all over though you can get the dragon scale you need form only several sources....I never got much action doing the online duels....but with high sorcery and the dusk ring (gives extra uses) I was able to farm the drakes in the valley up pretty good. As for darkmoon you always have the miracle once you get it, so just re-join the covenant and it should allow you to continue using it...if you didn't get it yet, then you will get half of your progress from before the switch apparently.

Anteater

Well took a detour and killed that havel guy, now back to the depths and found the bonfire, it was right there all along behind some door.

... went in and fight this ugly dragon dude but died after my weapon broke, i need to be more careful, it was almost dead too.

CYFwA.jpg

but good news is that I could still repair the weapon, I thought I lost it forever

cnizzle06

Banned
oh ok that sucks.....I really believe it is more important a handicap to not allow upgrades vs. SL...even SL 5 or 10 is no big deal really as the difference is minute. I don't want to sound like a tight ass but I did want to try to do this in a way that was seriously compromised....not just mildly nerfed. That said I know there are much better players than me out there that probably would not have much of a problem doing the O&S and 4 kings this way....I am just not that great a player!! :p

For the most part patch 1.05 made things more balanced and better imo.

not really anything to warn about...once its all over though you can get the dragon scale you need form only several sources....I never got much action doing the online duels....but with high sorcery and the dusk ring (gives extra uses) I was able to farm the drakes in the valley up pretty good. As for darkmoon you always have the miracle once you get it, so just re-join the covenant and it should allow you to continue using it...if you didn't get it yet, then you will get half of your progress from before the switch apparently.

Yeah...30 dragon scales for the torso? I'm not sure I feel like working towards that. Might rejoin the Dark Moon. I'm at SL 65, should I just leave it at that?

Also, I need a titanite slab to upgrade my Iato to +5 lighting. So if anyone has an extra they could drop... :3

2AdEPT

Yeah...30 dragon scales for the torso? I'm not sure I feel like working towards that. Might rejoin the Dark Moon. I'm at SL 65, should I just leave it at that?

Also, I need a titanite slab to upgrade my Iato to +5 lighting. So if anyone has an extra they could drop... :3

yeah dragon covenant isn't really worth it where Darkmoon is more than worth it.....the difficulty to acquire the shit should be reversed for sure.

Your SL is fine where it is....depends on what you want to do with your character, but 65 is plenty to complete with if you area good player. You can nickel and dime up to 75 if you want though, but from now on ward you will be diminishing the amount of quality PVP potential you can get.

cnizzle06

Banned
yeah dragon covenant isn't really worth it where Darkmoon is more than worth it.....the difficulty to acquire the shit should be reversed for sure.

Your SL is fine where it is....depends on what you want to do with your character, but 65 is plenty to complete with if you area good player. You can nickel and dime up to 75 if you want though, but from now on ward you will be diminishing the amount of quality PVP potential you can get.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I wisely chose my stat-build. Kinda new to RPGs of this depth. Had my first dragon eye pvp. Got destroyed :/ ha.

Question: Should I kill
Gynevere
?
I'd do it first chance you get, well join the covenant for the item, then do it and rejoin your old covenant, which is easy now you can warp.

Killing her switches on the "Anor Londo blue phantom scrubs please invade me" neon sign.

Beat Pinwheel's ass like nothing. Not a single hit. Firebomb'd his clones and coated my dagger with lightning and he went down like a wet blanket.

Now it's back to Depths to farm some more Large Titanite Chunks and then kill that dragon.

Speaking of the Depths, however, I met a weird "person" down there. He was covered in crystal and just randomly posed/stood still. He changed locations several times and then disappeared. I didn't attack him, simply because he wasn't aggressive. Kind of weirded me out.

2AdEPT

I'd do it first chance you get, well join the covenant for the item, then do it and rejoin your old covenant, which is easy now you can warp.

Killing her switches on the "Anor Londo blue phantom scrubs please invade me" neon sign.

although I would recommend to anyone that they get darkmoon blade first before turning the place dark.

Beat Pinwheel's ass like nothing. Not a single hit. Firebomb'd his clones and coated my dagger with lightning and he went down like a wet blanket.

Now it's back to Depths to farm some more Large Titanite Chunks and then kill that dragon.

Speaking of the Depths, however, I met a weird "person" down there. He was covered in crystal and just randomly posed/stood still. He changed locations several times and then disappeared. I didn't attack him, simply because he wasn't aggressive. Kind of weirded me out.

those are remnants of other players...who fearlessly lost their life for the cause...by way of cursed frog breath......'ribbit, ribbit, ribbit.....croaaak.''

Beckx

Oh, Dark Souls.

Working on my new Xbox character today. Kill the boar in the Parish and no helmet drops. Get summoned, help a guy kill the boar, and a few seconds later he's donned the helmet.

/cry

Is there a way to get Ornstein's Set if i killed him first? I had no idea how killing one last is what you get to buy from a vendor. I really want Ornstein's set bad but I killed Smough first.

zewone

Is there a way to get Ornstein's Set if i killed him first? I had no idea how killing one last is what you get to buy from a vendor. I really want Ornstein's set bad but I killed Smough first.

Find someone to trade it to you, or play though again and beat it the correct way on NG+.

Mxrz

I'm not really getting why time travel needs to be involved with the new DLC areas. Unless the world is suppose to be populated or something. Hopefully the possible trainwreck with the PC version doesn't delay it or anything.

cnizzle06

Banned
I'm not really getting why time travel needs to be involved with the new DLC areas. Unless the world is suppose to be populated or something. Hopefully the possible trainwreck with the PC version doesn't delay it or anything.

So the consoles are getting the DLC as well?

I'm so fed up with these auto-backstabs during PvP!

BearChair

I'm posting here just to vent for a momnet. I am stuck at those two knight archers in Anor Lando. I got to them once last night and four or five times tonight. I've made it face to face with the knight on the right three times. I've made it to the end of the flying buttress several times but am usually hit by an arrow and knocked off the ledge. I've even worked my way back to Firelink Shrine to buy poison arrows, and tried to poison them, but I don't have a longbow and don't know where to get one. I bought the push miracle hoping if I get close enough I can knock the knight off the ledge, but haven't bee able to do it yet. This portion of the game is just so frustrating. I've looked at a walkthrough and know as soon as I get past this guy I am home free. Sorry, but I just have to vent about these two knights. If that ledge were a hair wider than it would be so much easier.

I had the oddest invasion earlier. A red phantom invaded in Dark Anor Londo, I was in the O&S room taking out the larger of the two aggro-NPCs. I ran to the doorway from one side and saw the invader run in, but completely ignore me (may have not seen me, but I'm pretty sure I was in his field of vision) and run towards the NPC. I carried on running out down to the lift and was not followed. A blue invader pops in near the lever - despite my arrows telling him where I was, he runs into the main hall. I see nothing of them for a good 5 minutes, so I go down to the painted room, take out all the painted guardians thinking the lifebars would alert them to where I was - nothing.

So I go back up to the O&S room and these two phantoms are running around the NPC - did they think it was me?! BOTH of them?! I run back out and down the stairs outside, a second blue phantom invades - Again I never see him, another few minutes go by, I mess around with the lift hoping to get their attention, it doesn't - I go back up the steps, FINALLY all 3 are running down the steps after me - Benny Hill style. Well, it didn't look like it was going to be an honourable duel, so I quit - 3vs1 no point and dying in Anor Londo is annoying since you have to start from the first bonfire again.

Really odd though, I can't believe all 3 invaders thought the NPC was a human player? o_O

I'm posting here just to vent for a momnet. I am stuck at those two knight archers in Anor Lando. I got to them once last night and four or five times tonight. I've made it face to face with the knight on the right three times. I've made it to the end of the flying buttress several times but am usually hit by an arrow and knocked off the ledge. I've even worked my way back to Firelink Shrine to buy poison arrows, and tried to poison them, but I don't have a longbow and don't know where to get one. I bought the push miracle hoping if I get close enough I can knock the knight off the ledge, but haven't bee able to do it yet. This portion of the game is just so frustrating. I've looked at a walkthrough and know as soon as I get past this guy I am home free. Sorry, but I just have to vent about these two knights. If that ledge were a hair wider than it would be so much easier.
This is a hurdle all first time DS players face, it is frustrating.

If you have a stable shield like the Eagle shield you can stand your ground or push the one on the right off. Or parry/repost I guess. Stamina regen items help here too.

Or you can use posion arrows, there's a long bow in Darkroot Basin I think - I like bows in this game, so this is my method, any time I can go longrange, I will. If you have the ring of fog, it's even easier as you can go up to the middle ledge and fire from there. Head shots mean they can't even recover between hits, so it doesn't even need to be poison arrows. This is how I do it now, I used to stand at the bottom and get the trajectory for 3 poison shots then wait it out/deal with invaders.

I passed this area by sprinting up and attacking the knight on the right. Make sure you're under 25% equipment load.

Longbow can be found on a corpse in Darkroot Garden.

2AdEPT

archers are annoying but surmountable with the methods mentioned. Use a spear to to kill the guy on the right while holding your eagle shield up works, as does using the Grant AOE or force miracle to knock off the one on the right. Parrying is hard but works well also. Ensure you remember that rolling by the arrows will enable you the invincibility to refrain form getting knocked off by their arrows. My favourite method is to use the dragon slayer great bow and give them a taste of their own medicine with those knock down arrows...you can hit them easily form the bottom of the ramps, out of range of their shots if you stand as far back as possible..... but your character will need 20 Dex and quite a bit of strength to two hand the bow.

I assume you meant you killed smough last....you get the armour of the guy you killed last. If indeed you wish ornsteins armour that bad (looks good but can't be upgraded and is not anywhere near the best Armour stat wise an equivalent in coolness is the kirk armour which you can only get through a series of NPC encounters) you can always start over...most are flabbergasted how quick it is to go through the game if you don't die like a noob all the time....I can get to O&S on a new character in a few hours....plus then you can do it RIGHT this time and experience getting the good equipment earlier, upgrade only the stuff you want etc. Hiring help on each bosss and as soon as you enter levels makes for a firestorm path through the game. speed runs which run by lots of enemies and such usually make it to O&S in less than 45 minutes.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I had the oddest invasion earlier
They were probably waiting for you to come down and duel. Dark Anor Londo is a popular high level pvp area and most invaders don't like to Mickey Mouse around with the hide and seek bs. They were probably just running around killing time waiting for you to stop hiding.

They were probably waiting for you to come down and duel. Dark Anor Londo is a popular high level pvp area and most invaders don't like to Mickey Mouse around with the hide and seek bs. They were probably just running around killing time waiting for you to stop hiding.
That's the thing though, I wasn't hiding. I can't believe the first one didn't see me. Then when I went back I watched them both, I use grass crest shield so they must've seen me, and the life bars of the painted guardians. Oh well it was funny.

I got a msg today too from a defeated invader who congratulated me on using tactics other than fishing for lag-stabs, so there are some people out there who appreciate a good chase around the map!

Anteater

Framerate in blighttown is worse than I thought

I guess I'll level up my faith and learn some miracles, meleeing is getting a bit boring

Can anybody around SL97ish help me with Lord Gwyn? Tired of getting fucked up no matter what I try.

Pyro? If not, Stay close and try and parry him and stab the eff outta him.

I used a +15 Uchigatana and the havel armor.

On NG+++ and working on the last miracles and weapons for my 1000/1000 achievements.

One questions: Is it normal to be on LVL 228 on NG+++? I've been farming souls like a mad man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom