• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

Thanks all for the advice on Sen's. Is there a good place to farm large titanite shards at this point? I'm current using an Uchigatana +7 and I'd like to upgrade it to +10 because I think the blacksmith that can do lightning upgrades is in Sen's (?).

edit: I just looked on the Wiki and apparently Sen's is the best place to farm large titanite shards. Into Sen's I go I guess.

Dresden

Thanks all for the advice on Sen's. Is there a good place to farm large titanite shards at this point? I'm current using an Uchigatana +7 and I'd like to upgrade it to +10 because I think the blacksmith that can do lightning upgrades is in Sen's (?).

edit: I just looked on the Wiki and apparently Sen's is the best place to farm large titanite shards. Into Sen's I go I guess.

Eh, not quite. The best place by far is the swamp in Blighttown, specifically those leaping slugs.

Yeah this style is absolutely no upgrades....start as SL1 pyro and no leveling either.....but you CAN use whatever weapons or Armour you find and have the stats to use...which isn't much....inevitably the best weapon found is the occult club downgraded to divine for the catacombs. The beauty of this style is you have to really strategize about how to approach things..its like getting a new game. Not to sound cocky, but doing a SL1 run with full upgrades barely changes the game at all, where not allowing upgrades changes it quite a bit. Cheese tools and miracles/pyro etc. become hot commodities...if you have the stats! Red Tearstone ring, power within, dusk crown, dusk ring, light crossbow, all become staples. I suggest that you CAN hire help as long as they are NPC or if a real player that they should be observing the same rules....hiring two helpers is stretching it, but i am willing to accept one NPC plus one real player observing the rules. I intend to do O&S with help but did queelag solo with the NPC.

That's pretty interesting. I may try it after I play through a castlevania/belmont game, although the whip is pretty terrible as a weapon so I don't know when I'll finish with that.

You can just buy them at either Sen's or the giant blacksmith himself. The giant blacksmith should be cheaper, and I'm pretty sure running through and killing the giant guards at the gates on the way in would earn you enough to buy a couple already.

Quikies83

Could anyone hook me up with some humanity?? I don't really feel like farming it for hours and I have items to trade :)
Couple divine blessings and Boss Souls that I could part with.
I'm SL66 on PSN -- NG+

I lost a ridiculous amount from fighting 4 Kings and getting my Chaos Covenant to level 2. Would anyone be willing??

i-Lo

I am in need of a few titanite slabs (I have been tirelessly farming those wraiths with item discovery of 410 without avail) and a guy on NG+ (and I am still on my first playthrough) was nice enough to aid me for free. The problem occurred after we defeated Ornstein and Smough. He could NOT resummon me and neither I could summon him. We could not see the signs from each other. I even asked him to place the sign in New Londo Ruins (before the two bridges at the beginning of the level) and I also placed my sign just in case. Our efforts were in vain.

Any idea why this is happening? I really need titanite slabs.

Hey guys, just started playing this gem again because I was inspired by this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484543

A quick update on my own situation, which I have already posted in previously mentioned thread: I gave up months ago after hitting the catacombs, I put no real thought into my character while levelling up (both character and weapons). As a result I was stuck with a drake sword wielding noob with no pyro, no miracles, no reinforced estus flasks, no elementally enhanced weapons, no NOTHING.

Needless to say, after doing plenty reading of Dark Souls threads and the wikidot, I've gone in with a much better understanding of the game. I've started from the beginning with a pyro. Rang the first bell, been using the drake sword while upgrading the halbert to eventually make it a divine weapon and the claymore to make it lightning based. Got the normal healing miracle going on, and already reinforced my estus once.

Posted a few questions in the other thread, that I also wanna drop in here to get your advice

- Am I correct in assuming the Giant blacksmit in Anor Londo is the only one who can imbue lightning to weapons?
- In the grand scheme of things, how important is it to upgrade armor as opposed to upgrading stats? Should I be putting more souls into armor, considering I'm nearing lvl 30?
- I definitely want to upgrade my Pyro, once I find either Laurentius or Quelaana, so how important is it that I invest souls in my INT? Right now I've hardly touched that stat in favor of VIT, END, and FAITH (and also STR and DEX to eventually so I can wield the Claymore and Halbert, when I've upgraded them enough).

Thanks a bunch in advance!

2AdEPT

Could anyone hook me up with some humanity?? I don't really feel like farming it for hours and I have items to trade :)
I'm SL66 on PSN -- NG+

I lost a ridiculous amount from fighting 4 Kings and getting my Chaos Covenant to level 2. Would anyone be willing??
It doesn't take hours to farm humanity....in the depths wear the covetous serpent ring with 1 minimum, max 10 in the ticker and you will get 20 in 20 minutes 30 in 30 minutes, 40 in 40 etc. Bonfire->kill all rats->bonfire ->etc.
I am in need of a few titanite slabs (I have been tirelessly farming those wraiths with item discovery of 410 without avail) and a guy on NG+ (and I am still on my first playthrough) was nice enough to aid me for free. The problem occurred after we defeated Ornstein and Smough. He could NOT resummon me and neither I could summon him. We could not see the signs from each other. I even asked him to place the sign in New Londo Ruins (before the two bridges at the beginning of the level) and I also placed my sign just in case. Our efforts were in vain.

Any idea why this is happening? I really need titanite slabs.
you sometimes have to cycle through the servers to find your specific friend. Do this by replacing the summon stone every 10-15 seconds...some wait 30 seconds to give the summon a chance to seee it and hit it if they do....others drop and re-drop continuously and swear that works better....the point i s clear though...if you don't see what should be there you are are on different servers and must switch a few times to collaborate.

Hey guys, just started playing this gem again because I was inspired by this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484543

A quick update on my own situation, which I have already posted in previously mentioned thread: I gave up months ago after hitting the catacombs, I put no real thought into my character while levelling up (both character and weapons). As a result I was stuck with a drake sword wielding noob with no pyro, no miracles, no reinforced estus flasks, no elementally enhanced weapons, no NOTHING.

Needless to say, after doing plenty reading of Dark Souls threads and the wikidot, I've gone in with a much better understanding of the game. I've started from the beginning with a pyro. Rang the first bell, been using the drake sword while upgrading the halbert to eventually make it a divine weapon and the claymore to make it lightning based. Got the normal healing miracle going on, and already reinforced my estus once.

Posted a few questions in the other thread, that I also wanna drop in here to get your advice

- Am I correct in assuming the Giant blacksmit in Anor Londo is the only one who can imbue lightning to weapons?
- In the grand scheme of things, how important is it to upgrade armor as opposed to upgrading stats? Should I be putting more souls into armor, considering I'm nearing lvl 30?
- I definitely want to upgrade my Pyro, once I find either Laurentius or Quelaana, so how important is it that I invest souls in my INT? Right now I've hardly touched that stat in favor of VIT, END, and FAITH (and also STR and DEX to eventually so I can wield the Claymore and Halbert, when I've upgraded them enough).

giant is the only lightning smith
Armour>levels - stay at SL 1 if you want you can still beat the game easy with good armour and weapons.
don't raise everything.... you don't need lots of vitality or endurance once you know how to avoid getting hit...no hit = no need for these stats...you still want to hit hard though so raise your offense by specializing in either dex or str, and/or either INT or faith. Pyro is not affected by stats ....simply max out pyro by buying upgrades from vendors.

Each blacksmith has special trees, and yes the Giant Blacksmith is the only one that can do the Lightning upgrades. As for armor, you don't need to upgrade it until you choose the armor you want for the end game. You get better and better pick ups for armor the further you get in the game, depending on what class you're playing as, so I wouldn't upgrade armor until you're sure you've found the best armor for your character/playstyle.

Pyro power isn't affected by stats, you increase power by upgrading the glove. Faith you only need if you're using miracles or specifically using a faith-based weapon. Similarly, only upgrade Int if you're using sorceries or an Int-scaling weapon.

Anyone else have problems with trading items with snuggly the crow? Just won't work with me.

Working on my last miracle (Darkmoon Blade) for my last achievement. I suck at PVP so im trying to trade pendants with snuggly.

Anyone else have problems with trading items with snuggly the crow? Just won't work with me.

Working on my last miracle (Darkmoon Blade) for my last achievement. I suck at PVP so im trying to trade pendants with snuggly.

You can very easily grind Souveniers of Reprisal from those winged demon's in Painted World Of Ariamis too!

That said, I have yet to get the trading to work and I am 100% sure I do it right, so I just gave up eventually.

Mxrz

Are you dropping it in the right nest? I actually dumped things in the nest at Firelink my first time. Otherwise, make sure your character is standing inside the nest when you drop the item.

You need to drop the items in Asylym?

emot-stare.png

Zozobra

Hey guys, I was looking to start up an archer/ranger-type class, mainly for PVE, but it doesn`t seem like the most viable class. I basically want to have a bow or crossbow as a primary weapon, but then also a good melee weapon for when things get tight. Does anyone have any recommendations on build or gear?

Anteater

Went back to the tutorial area for the ring so I could walk in water faster

ground collapsed and I fell into the tutorial boss that one shot me

laughing79f9q.gif

Anteater

just remember that all you have to do is stay on its butt.

I stick to the butt for everything, but I'll come back later, I wanna get to Sen's fortress.

I ran into the fat dude npc in Sen's but he won't talk to me when I press x

I'm going to skip him too, hope I'm not missing anything

So can someone clarify if Prepare to Die is getting a physical release for 360/PS3? I'm looking for a Dark Souls relapse and I'm wondering if I just shouldn't trade my copy in and get PTD.

I had a hard time in Blighttown with one of these Barbarian assholes. Went back, got a Balder side sword, upgraded it, went through Darkwood Garden and Basin, equipped the Elite Knight set (I can still roll with it). Thanks for the Balder advice, guys!

I came back to Blighttown and trounced everything in my way, including invaders. That felt amazing after hours of frustration. Except for the part where it was in slo-mo obviously.

I will probably take a detour before Sen, just can't decide where yet. Any tips?
I like my current armor set because it looks pretty badass. Any armor I should look for? I'm using the 2 rings that increase the load ATM and have something like 19 or 20 END.

i-Lo

you sometimes have to cycle through the servers to find your specific friend. Do this by replacing the summon stone every 10-15 seconds...some wait 30 seconds to give the summon a chance to seee it and hit it if they do....others drop and re-drop continuously and swear that works better....the point i s clear though...if you don't see what should be there you are are on different servers and must switch a few times to collaborate.

Wow, thanks it worked. That said, I kind of got ripped off. Out of the kindness of my heart I volunteered to give (because he said he'd part with some titanite slabs for free):
  • 4 twin humanities
  • 35 twinkling titanite
  • 25 red moss
  • 25 purple moss
  • 15 blooming purple moss
  • 30 Purging stones
  • 15 transient curses

And in return he tells me that he is unable to find them. FUUUckkkkk. Because of my kind nature. All I wrote back to him that I was disappointed and that I was still willing to help him with 4 kings boss fight.

Now is anyone selfless and willing enough to help me out?

Cheddahz

Banned
I just defeated the gargoyles, when I slayed the last one... I felt so good

Anyways, I just returned to the last bonfire I was at (the one right by the blacksmith), what am I suppose to do next?

Are you dropping it in the right nest? I actually dumped things in the nest at Firelink my first time. Otherwise, make sure your character is standing inside the nest when you drop the item.

I drop the items between the two eggs then save and quit, but never get any items. Even tired dying then checking with no luck.

Will just grind I suppose.

just remember that all you have to do is stay on its butt.
I just went through this boss, it took me like 10 tries to figure a nice pattern. His fire attacks tended to mess me up but I finally got the distance right. I went from getting pulped 9 times to destroying him the 10th.

Anyways, I just returned to the last bonfire I was at (the one right by the blacksmith), what am I suppose to do next?
I guess you rang the bell right after the gargoyles?
IIRC, you should have a key that will let you access the lower part of the town. The door to that part was right before the dragon, on the bridge.

Cheddahz

Banned
I guess you rang the bell right after the gargoyles?
IIRC, you should have a key that will let you access the lower part of the town. The door to that part was right before the dragon, on the bridge.
Yeah, of course I rung the bell, lol. I know what part you are talking about, I went down there a little too early and I ended up getting killed pretty easily. Looks like I'll be heading there now!

2AdEPT

Hey guys, I was looking to start up an archer/ranger-type class, mainly for PVE, but it doesn`t seem like the most viable class. I basically want to have a bow or crossbow as a primary weapon, but then also a good melee weapon for when things get tight. Does anyone have any recommendations on build or gear?
Avelyn is the best crossbow and its been confirmed that lightning is the best path apparently. the best bows are debatable depending on your situation. darkmoon bow is good as long a pump faith, and pharis bow is great if you have high dex. Butif you go elemental the bow that gives the best range is best...cant remember if thats long bow vs. pharis.

explore!!!

take a run through the valley of the drakes
Check out the garden/basin
go to blightown/the hollow/ ash lake
search further in the burg

tougher areas but doable and at lest get a few items on suicide runs:
catacombs
new londo ruins

Cheddahz

Banned
I slained the Capra Demon, have died numerous times in the depths, finally found a bonfire, and killed a huge rat. Yeah, I'm in love with this game

soldat7

I slained the Capra Demon, have died numerous times in the depths, finally found a bonfire, and killed a huge rat. Yeah, I'm in love with this game

Yeah it's so good. I'm at 80 hours and still going strong. Love it. Except the Four Kings. I don't love them... :(

Wowbagger

I drop the items between the two eggs then save and quit, but never get any items. Even tired dying then checking with no luck.

You'll know you've found the right nest by Snuggly speaking to you as you approach it. A third way to trigger the exchange after you've dropped an item is to use a homeward bone.

2AdEPT

You'll know you've found the right nest by Snuggly speaking to you as you approach it. A third way to trigger the exchange after you've dropped an item is to use a homeward bone.

another possibility is that if you use the BB glitch that the game "remembers" your previous trades and disallows you form trading items you have already traded in your previous life.

You can only trade one of each item, and you can only trade one item at a time as well. I don't know if that might be causing you trouble as well.

You're definately using the right nest?

You arrive back at the Undead Asylum, and it is off to the left about halfway from the cliff end and the entrance to the asylum.

Drop one item from the select items tradeable, she will give a little caw-caw, you quit, reload and the item is switched for the traded one.

I've never had any problems trading items with Snuggly, whether I've used the BB glitch or not.

i-Lo

I really wish they'd take backstabbing out of the game or at least improve its response time. Hate getting lagstabbed so frequently.

You're definately using the right nest?

You arrive back at the Undead Asylum, and it is off to the left about halfway from the cliff end and the entrance to the asylum.

Drop one item from the select items tradeable, she will give a little caw-caw, you quit, reload and the item is switched for the traded one.

I've never had any problems trading items with Snuggly, whether I've used the BB glitch or not.

Yep, done all you said plenty of times. Never used any glitches either.

I'll just grind them since I think I'm in love with this game. ^_^

Wowbagger

I'm SL66 on PSN -- NG+

Still need humanity? I can help. Just send me a message on PSN (ID is W0Wbaggr).

That PvP arena is disappointing. It's just a small square area. I was hoping for a real level, like Sen's fortress. Imagine doing team battles there.

Anteater

Yea so like, really blighttown was my favorite area so far, those traps sucks in sen's fortress and it took me a while to find the god damn bonfire

I'm just not good with traps and directions man.

and why is the 3rd powling demon has so much more defense than the first two down the sewer in sen's :(

I really wish they'd take backstabbing out of the game or at least improve its response time. Hate getting lagstabbed so frequently.
It can be frustrating at first.

The best thing to do is not lock on so much. Not locking on will allow you to do those run past me backstabs and magic lagstabs easier too.

Or make use of the longer ranged weapons. Lagstabbers HATE when you use bow and arrows. It's so satisfying poisoning someone with arrows/dung pie and then taking pot shots at them. Oh the hatemail I get for using poison arrows!

Long range/quicker swords like the Washing Pole also help a lot, you don't have to let them get in to backstab range to get your hit in. Make use of running attacks too for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom