• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

Put enough into Intelligence and Faith so you can at least learn spells/miracles. Then you can use your excess souls to buy advanced spells/miracles.

It's a great way to save your souls and on NG+ you might want to start using spells and miracles.

EDIT: And pyromancy too. I never used pyro my first play through, but used excess spells to get as much as I could for my second game.

The silly issue with this series is that you always have to spend the souls you have (or risk losing them due to dying), you can't store them and level up later. So I have to level up something whether I want to or not.

That's why I'm kind of unsure what to level up, at the very least VIT and END are useful throughout I guess.

It was easy for me in demon souls since the magic stat powered both my magic and my sword.

Put it in VIT. END should be increased when you find yourself getting hampered by the weight limit. The others should only be increased when you know there's a specific weapon/item/spell you want to use and you need to reach it's required level.

Anteater

This archer part blows in anor londo, I could barely walk straight as it is, let alone blocking/dodging those fuckers, what is this, super monkey ball!?

Zzoram

This archer part blows in anor londo, I could barely walk straight as it is, let alone blocking/dodging those fuckers, what is this, super monkey ball!?

It's one of those parts that's hard until it clicks with you, then you'll probably never fall there again.

The trick is to just run until you get to the ledge and then raise your shield and inch towards the ledge archer. Ignore the first archer.

Dresden

Just remember that archers can't hit you if you run at a normal speed. When you reach the top just roll through arrows or align your body so getting knocked back doesn't knock you off into the abyss. Get up to the knight on the right and he'll start meleeing. Parry or kick or do whatever to push him off.

BearChair

I was having this same problem last week. If you have the longbow, go buy some poison arrows from the lady behind bars in the aquaduct by Firelink Shrine. Buy several, but it only takes two shots to poison them. I was able to just take out the one of the right and make it by, but you could always take out the one on the left too if he is giving you too much trouble.

It is good to get used to some ranged battle now. You won't really need it in Anor Londo, but it will be very helpful at getting strong enemy's attention later so you can take them out one by one.

BadWolf

Really appreciate all the help guys.

Put some in to END/VIT now and either STR or DEX later on - It's quite limiting to put everything into just END and VIT, although it would make you a total tank - high END means you can use the heaviest armour.

What I do is get up to a level with VIT where I feel comfortable that I can tank a few big hits and then plow everything else into one of the other stats depending on my build. If you're not using magic or miracles a lot, that leaves STR or DEX, so decide what sort of weapon you like - fast and stabby or slow and smashy - then choose STR or DEX accordingly.

In terms of weapons I'm only interested in swords (the one's like long sword, drake etc.), spears, rapiers and maybe katanas. Is DEX the way to go for these?

Put enough into Intelligence and Faith so you can at least learn spells/miracles. Then you can use your excess souls to buy advanced spells/miracles.

It's a great way to save your souls and on NG+ you might want to start using spells and miracles.

EDIT: And pyromancy too. I never used pyro my first play through, but used excess spells to get as much as I could for my second game.

Someone suggested pyromancy earlier to me in the thread because it scales with the glove so that's what I went with. Its not very good yet but I'll keep leveling it.

I have enough stats for heal in terms of magic and I'm thinking of maybe stopping there with it for this play through, as I'm using pyro for offense based magic.

Put it in VIT. END should be increased when you find yourself getting hampered by the weight limit. The others should only be increased when you know there's a specific weapon/item/spell you want to use and you need to reach it's required level.

Yeah I just found the Black Iron armour and the stats look nice, its too heavy for me though so definitely eyeing END (and VIT of course).

Anteater

It's one of those parts that's hard until it clicks with you, then you'll probably never fall there again.

The trick is to just run until you get to the ledge and then raise your shield and inch towards the ledge archer. Ignore the first archer.

Just remember that archers can't hit you if you run at a normal speed. When you reach the top just roll through arrows or align your body so getting knocked back doesn't knock you off into the abyss. Get up to the knight on the right and he'll start meleeing. Parry or kick or do whatever to push him off.

Cool, thanks yeah I got past them, guess they're just there to troll me before I reach the bonfire!

I was having this same problem last week. If you have the longbow, go buy some poison arrows from the lady behind bars in the aquaduct by Firelink Shrine. Buy several, but it only takes two shots to poison them. I was able to just take out the one of the right and make it by, but you could always take out the one on the left too if he is giving you too much trouble.

It is good to get used to some ranged battle now. You won't really need it in Anor Londo, but it will be very helpful at getting strong enemy's attention later so you can take them out one by one.

:( doh I didn't want to use range, I'll think about it, it does sound kind of useful

Anteater

haha I attacked the giant blacksmith by accident when I put down my controller, fuck my life.

m1RKY.png

Guys?

Best armor sets at 40 endurance for under 25% burden?

haha I attacked the giant blacksmith by accident when I put down my controller, fuck my life.

m1RKY.png

Thank god for the absolution guy, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to learn decent pyromancy, as I accidentaly attacked the first pyro guy after freeing him in the Depths, lol...

Anteater

Will there be an official thread for the PC release this week?

I think so, people are talking about the thread title in one of the PC release threads.

Thank god for the absolution guy, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to learn decent pyromancy, as I accidentaly attacked the first pyro guy after freeing him in the Depths, lol...

I'm usually careful not to hit them, but god damn it I hate the shoulder buttons on the dualshock :(

Anteater

damn right, killed the fatty and skinny duo boss at anor londo, killing the fast dude first seems to be the right decision since the fat guy is slow as hell and only has a jump attack that's threatening

Killed them with no flasks left again :lol, time to move on! Fun and awesome looking place but I fell to my death a lot :(

ArynCrinn

Banned
I thought Sony had some hold over the name Demon's Souls and that is why the next game was called Dark Souls?

From do sequels, so I see no reason at all why what must be their biggest hit in the west, (or anywhere? -- just guessing) wouldn't get a sequel.

I honestly don't think FROM would have put it on anything other than PS3 if they had their way, I think that was just pressure from Namco and everything else. So I could totally see FROM being 100% fine doing another PS3/Sony exclusive. But neither Demon's nor Dark need or would benefit from pure sequels or prequels, I'd like to see the mechanics and world building continue to evolve in a brand new game. I can think of a few fresh ideas they could try without bootstrapping to a existing IP. Shadow Tower x Souls on PS4, anybody?

pringles

So when does this game become difficult? :p
4 kings down on the first try, aww yeahh. Do weapons get much better than Black Knight Sword +5? Been using it for ages and figured it would get outdated in late game but here I am and it's still dominating.

Not sure where to next, gotta farm some titanite chunks from the Darkwraiths first atleast..

damn right, killed the fatty and skinny duo boss at anor londo, killing the fast dude first seems to be the right decision since the fat guy is slow as hell and only has a jump attack that's threatening

Killed them with no flasks left again :lol, time to move on! Fun and awesome looking place but I fell to my death a lot :(
I actually thought killing Smough first was much easier. First time I did that I beat them 3rd attempt overall) and I've been helping others on that boss and killing fatty first has pretty much 100% success rate while the other way is maybe 50-75%.
Hi Gwynevere

http://www.abload.de/img/animation1dfg2zq7ggauxz.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Amazing chest ahead

2AdEPT

I hope they don't go back to either of them soon.Someone mentioned final fantasy and the great thing about that series is the self contained worlds.The did mentioned that they'll do more souls games and going back to their roots with kings field.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...-success-changed-its-approach-to-making-games

Weren't they also trying to do a title called "Dark Forest?"

www.nowgamer.com/.../dark_souls_dlc_rumoured_could_be_forest_of_darkness.html -

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-10-30/from-software-files-dark-forest-game-trademark

Guevara

Off topic a bit but what were the Anor Londo Archers of Demon's Souls? Seems like that game didn't have one obvious pain point for most players.

2AdEPT

Off topic a bit but what were the Anor Londo Archers of Demon's Souls? Seems like that game didn't have one obvious pain point for most players.

Some pople really hated the maneaters as well as flamelurker...and one person recently on the "Iwant ot give Dark another chance" thread said he got stuck at the blue dragon just before Allant in Demon's......but YEah I guess as far as a non-boss trouble spots the red-eyed knight and old king Doran are earlier game ones; but the closest comparison I heard complaints of was likely the Giants in 5-2, as they guarded the bottelneck entrance to the 5-2 boss....not quite as prolifically hated as the archers, however all these eneimes are not tough with a good strategy, cheesed or otherwise!!!

Zzoram

The Anor Londo archers aren't even hard once you realize you can just run up the beam and ignore the first archer and be fine.

Then you just put up your shield and walk to the ledge archer, it will pull out a sword and step forward to attack you but fall to its death. You then go around the corner and get your bonfire.

Alucrid

Banned
The Anor Londo archers aren't even hard once you realize you can just run up the beam and ignore the first archer and be fine.

Then you just put up your shield and walk to the ledge archer, it will pull out a sword and step forward to attack you but fall to its death. You then go around the corner and get your bonfire.

It's still annoying if you get hit as you're turning onto the same beam that the left one is on and get hit off by an arrow, or if you get hit with one as you're running up against the wall. There's also some annoying times where the guy on the right won't stop shooting despite you being right next to him.

Don't you guys get hit in the back by the archer on the left?

That's what always happens to me if I don't take him out. This is mainly why I use arrows/ring of fog combo since it wasn't the archer on the right I had trouble with, but getting sandwiched in between blocking his hits and getting knocked down from the back by the other one.

Mxrz

1-1
1-2 Dragon/dogs.
1-4 Tower/Dragon
False King
Flame Lurker
Maneater
4-2 Reapers/invis/skeletons on the ledge.
5-2. Walking into the bp.
Old Monk during prime time.

Saw mention of a new covenant in the DLC. Weird stuff.

Ah, so I should just concentrate of leveling up VIT and END till the end of the game?

I'm at
Anor Londo
right now.
50 Vit, and 40 Endurance are the usual hard cutoffs. Very little return on going higher than that on Endurance, and Vit starts giving less too. If you want to stick to elemental weapons but ditch the basic spear, then pick a weapon you like get enough str/dex to use it, and then upgrade it to whatever element.

Faith is a waste unless you get enough for Sunlight or Darkmoon blade. So 30+ or nothing. 15 in INT gives you the utility spells. Which aren't super useful outside of Light and Greater Magic Wep (Which you can't use on elemental).

Elemental weapons, Pyromancy, 3-4 attunement slots, high vit (50) and high stam (40) can carry you through the first 2-3 cycles without much trouble. That usually lands somewhere around SL80, so still 40 points left to work with before sl120.

Anteater

That's what always happens to me if I don't take him out. This is mainly why I use arrows/ring of fog combo since it wasn't the archer on the right I had trouble with, but getting sandwiched in between blocking his hits and getting knocked down from the back by the other one.

Yeah, I think they both shoot about the same time, so rolling will allow you to avoid both shots, it's just the matter of not falling and it could take a few tries, it's a tight space so it's easy to mess up especially with big weapons.

I actually thought killing Smough first was much easier. First time I did that I beat them 3rd attempt overall) and I've been helping others on that boss and killing fatty first has pretty much 100% success rate while the other way is maybe 50-75%.

Amazing chest ahead

Smough was easier to kill, but the small guy wouldn't leave me alone with his dashing moves so I had to kill him first, lol

Sullichin

Never once. I just run up and get in the right archer's face after rolling through one arrow.

Dresden

I honestly don't think FROM would have put it on anything other than PS3 if they had their way, I think that was just pressure from Namco and everything else. So I could totally see FROM being 100% fine doing another PS3/Sony exclusive. But neither Demon's nor Dark need or would benefit from pure sequels or prequels, I'd like to see the mechanics and world building continue to evolve in a brand new game. I can think of a few fresh ideas they could try without bootstrapping to a existing IP. Shadow Tower x Souls on PS4, anybody?

Well, if you ignore FROM's history, sure.

Beckx

For me Enraged Ornstein is scarier, Smough telegraphs everything so much.

But when helping others I just let them lead the show. Whoever they charge, I assume that's what they want for kill order. Don't want to screw up someone's armor attempt.

Probably nothing new to most of you, but I was just watching a youtube video and saw the player drop down the elevator shaft in Firelink Shrine to a shortcut to the treasure chests - never knew about that way, I just always drop down from the same way you get to the nest, lol. Still finding things out after all this time! :)

Blue Dragon for me. But I think Demons has a lot more just straight up bullshit like that. I never found the archers hard to get by. You just....run. What's the big deal? Sure, use a bit of finesse when killing that archer on the right, but come on, you don't need to be super skilled. I've died way more by falling off the rafters in the painting room.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Well, if you ignore FROM's history, sure.

I'm not ignoring FROM's history, sure, they have developed for a variety of platforms. But the fact is most of their highest profile games have been on Sony products, specifically games in the vein of Souls/King's Field/Shadow Tower type stuff. Most of it has been on Sony platforms, and I doubt Dark Souls would have been different if their wasn't a push for multilatform. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. So I stand by my assertion that FROM would have zero scruples making the next game exclusive to PS3/PS4. Money and publisher might feel different, but as a developer I don't think FROM would care.

Ironically, if there hadn't been a 360 port, there probably wouldn't have been a PC port either.

Zaventem

Probably nothing new to most of you, but I was just watching a youtube video and saw the player drop down the elevator shaft in Firelink Shrine to a shortcut to the treasure chests - never knew about that way, I just always drop down from the same way you get to the nest, lol. Still finding things out after all this time! :)

I didn't either a few months ago i thought it was a drop of death lol

Yo Gotti

Banned
I'm not ignoring FROM's history, sure, they have developed for a variety of platforms. But the fact is most of their highest profile games have been on Sony products, specifically games in the vein of Souls/King's Field/Shadow Tower type stuff. Most of it has been on Sony platforms, and I doubt Dark Souls would have been different if their wasn't a push for multilatform. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. So I stand by my assertion that FROM would have zero scruples making the next game exclusive to PS3/PS4. Money and publisher might feel different, but as a developer I don't think FROM would care.

Ironically, if there hadn't been a 360 port, there probably wouldn't have been a PC port either.

You're kind of making shit up here. FROM has always supported more than one platform.

Sony made some kind of publishing deal with them for Demon's Souls. Simple as that.

Turned out to be the greatest deal this generation IMO.

ArynCrinn

Banned
You're kind of making shit up here. FROM has always supported more than one platform.

Sony made some kind of publishing deal with them for Demon's Souls. Simple as that.

Turned out to be the greatest deal this generation IMO.

How is that making shit up? I already said FROM has supported a variety of platforms, but most of their highest profile stuff has been on Sony systems, that's just a fact. Take a look at their entire release history and compare the ratio of Sony products to everything else. They have always supported multiple platforms, I'm not trying to say their Sony faithfuls or anything, but their most touted stuff (in the west at least, King's Field, Souls, etc) have been on Sony platforms, and most successful on I believe. Maybe that changed, but in any case that's all I was saying.

Anyway, for me personally, I think the best case scenario for future FROM games is all consoles plus PC, simultaneous releases.

2AdEPT

I just roll off the stairs on to the partition between the Petrus roof and the path to the elevator BEFORE the elevator shaft! you can get to those chests within 9 seconds of materializing in Firelink!!!!

edit: unless you need the DWGR...with all the bb glitching etc perhaps I haven't tried doing it with the old rolls?!?!?!!?? Meh...I doubt it....still say get that shit within 10 seconds even with normal roll.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I was always so scared to drop down there because it looked so dark and I was certain I'd just die. Don't know what took me so long to just man up and check down there xD

I never thought to hop down the elevator shaft - This is DS, you see a dark drop, you expect to die!

Also in the same video - it was a vegeta311 video, I liked his quick method of dropping down through the Catacombs to Pinwheel without even turning either bridge. I usually turn the first one and drop down to Vamos, but this is even quicker and cuts out most of the skeleton wheels, great for an early run down there.

... So I've been messing about with 3 new builds the past couple of days - a pure DEX build, pure STR build and a DEX build that may have a little magic, but only using rapiers.

The pure STR build is not really for me, the big weapons/armour don't gel with my playstyle, I was having a lot success in PvP two handing a Man Serpent Sword, but then I thought I'd get out of my comfort zone altogether and put on the heaviest armour I had and forget about keeping a decent equipment load and speed - well that was the end of my PvP success! Speed is definately my best asset in PvP. Took this character up to lvl65 and Crystal Caves, but moved on to the next build.

Rapier build I wanted to use because I've never used the weapons but always thought they looked cool. I'm using the Estoc until I get Ricard's Rapier, and liking it a lot. Don't know how it will go in PvP. Bosses have been more challenging than usual.

Is Ricard's the best rapier to use if I'm really only concentrating on DEX, Velka's seems like it's built for a DEX/INT build which is interesting, I may take it that direction if I go all the way up to lvl120.

Speaking of the elevator shaft, I was convinced that there would be something in the well next to Firelink. I mean, it's rather tricky to manage to jump inside. It would make a cool bonus.

You die.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Everybody jumps down the well at some point. I still do on occasion, to remind my characters that I can destroy them any time I please and that just because I created them does not mean I love them.

Is Ricard's the best rapier to use if I'm really only concentrating on DEX, Velka's seems like it's built for a DEX/INT build which is interesting, I may take it that direction if I go all the way up to lvl120.

Ricard's Rapier is easily one of my favorite weapons in the game. It's a solid PvP weapon, but it requires quite a bit of practice before you can use it properly and it's heavily reliant on weapon enchantments to maximize its potential. If you're going totally pure Dex it might not really be the best choice; Crystal Magic Weapon or Darkmoon Blade are what really makes it sing. If I were using it on a full-scale Dex build I think I'd still take my Int to 15 and use Great Magic Weapon on it with the Ivory Catalyst, personally. I played around with a Lightning Ricard's Rapier on a character who only took just enough Dex to wield it and while it worked I wouldn't call it good.

It's still tons of fun to use even if you don't ruthlessly maximize its damage potential, but to really use it the way its meant to be used you'd be best served with a hybrid Dex/Int or Dex/Fai build.

Zaventem

I never thought to hop down the elevator shaft - This is DS, you see a dark drop, you expect to die!

Also in the same video - it was a vegeta311 video, I liked his quick method of dropping down through the Catacombs to Pinwheel without even turning either bridge. I usually turn the first one and drop down to Vamos, but this is even quicker and cuts out most of the skeleton wheels, great for an early run down there.

Holy shit some of those i never even knew.

It's still tons of fun to use even if you don't ruthlessly maximize its damage potential, but to really use it the way its meant to be used you'd be best served with a hybrid Dex/Int or Dex/Fai build.
Thanks, I'm not big on weapon buffs, because I switch out weapons a lot during a fight forgetting that the buff disappears, but should try them just because I never use them.

I never use miracles either, at all. usually killing the monk guy at Firelink at some point without even buying his spells. Right now, I'm into making odd, funny, interesting or unique builds. Since I never use Faith, I should take a look.

Zozobra

Hey DS vets and those knowledgeable about the game's stats: I seem to remember reading somewhere that putting 50+ points into any given stat will start to result in significantly diminished returns - so much so that it's not worth using the levels on. I've got an Intelligence build that I'm using the Moonlight GS with and I'd like to max out damage on that as much as I can. I'm currently sitting at 51 Int with my character, would it be a waste to increase that stat any further?

Also, any links to further reading on stat theory and such would be rad as well. Thanks everyone!

Guevara

Hey DS vets and those knowledgeable about the game's stats: I seem to remember reading somewhere that putting 50+ points into any given stat will start to result in significantly diminished returns - so much so that it's not worth using the levels on. I've got an Intelligence build that I'm using the Moonlight GS with and I'd like to max out damage on that as much as I can. I'm currently sitting at 51 Int with my character, would it be a waste to increase that stat any further?

Also, any links to further reading on stat theory and such would be rad as well. Thanks everyone!

Seems like most people actually recommend more like 40 as cutoff. There are online calculators that can better answer your question.

MrWisker

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators

Should be all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom