• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my last achievement! Feels good man.
I'm thinking about going for 1000 but for my first playthrough, I want to experience the game as naturally as possible. Is there anything I should absolutely do on my first run? I've read about boss souls and having been keeping them. Specifically, I think I'll need to kill Sif 3 times or something. Is there anything else?

I'm thinking about going for 1000 but for my first playthrough, I want to experience the game as naturally as possible. Is there anything I should absolutely do on my first run? I've read about boss souls and having been keeping them. Specifically, I think I'll need to kill Sif 3 times or something. Is there anything else?

Find all of the covenant's, also find and forge the majority of the rare weapons and spells. For Spell/miracles you'll have to interact with certain NPCs and be invaded at specific points.

But most of all just enjoy it and work on the achievements on NG+ and NG++ ^_^

gdt

Who created the original OT for this game? No one is making a OT for the pc version. I was gonna do it, got lazy, then Mr. Orange said he'd tackle it. Then he got banned. I'm just more or less gonna copy this OP, and add some new stuff for the new content/pc version. I just want pm him/her to see if they want to do it, or get their permission to use the OP.

Edit: nevermind, found him.

Zzoram

Someone really needs to make the PC OT in Gaming. We will need a thread to discuss the new content and to guide all the noobs that will be playing their first Souls game.

Someone really needs to make the PC OT in Gaming. We will need a thread to discuss the new content and to guide all the noobs that will be playing their first Souls game.

Now that it's all sorted out, I'll be putting it up in a few days. It will have some updated information from my original.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I just played a practice run to be ready to hit the ground running when the PC version comes out. I'm pretty much planning on quasi-speedrunning the front half of the game to get to the new stuff as quickly as possible. Even with all sorts of onerous self-imposed and possibly unnecessary restrictions I don't think I'll have any trouble getting to the new bits in 2-3 hours.

And then I'll have so much time to read all those new item descriptions. Oh joy.

I'm so close to the platinum trophy on this... on my NG++ run right now and I'm destroying invaders left and right with my Chaos Uchigatana. Life is good.

pringles

Just made it through Sen's Fortress. Wow that was a great area. Only died twice, once from an invader at a really annoying time and once from the boss managing to knock me over the edge.

Onto Anor Londo..

Beckx

Just made it through Sen's Fortress. Wow that was a great area. Only died twice, once from an invader at a really annoying time and once from the boss managing to knock me over the edge.

Onto Anor Londo..

Yeah, something about Sen's Fortress makes it one of my favorites. I think it's because it's so demanding at first, but over time really conveys that feeling of mastery that makes Dark Souls so great.

Orayn

Seems like he plans to do it. Hopefully he gets it up for Aug 23 because that's when it comes out for Australia.

I missed that post. Good to hear! Apparently they moved the release date up to the 23rd for North America as well, if Steam release dates are to be trusted.

Yeah, something about Sen's Fortress makes it one of my favorites. I think it's because it's so demanding at first, but over time really conveys that feeling of mastery that makes Dark Souls so great.
Sen's is definately one of the strongest areas. I always delay my run through to the boss and spend time invading/co-oping because it's just such a great design and fun to play.

Anteater

It's the AI path finding that kills that area, while Anor Londo has pretty much nothing going on at most parts so it's not that surprising.

makes sense, it's kind of interesting because the player can't really tell since blight town is just so dark lol

Got a set of black iron armor, it seems pretty cool and has better stats than my upgraded elite knight armor, maybe I'll just wear them, can't equip the shield though even with the havel's ring :(

zewone

Some of the NPC quests you have to do at certain times to be able to buy certain spells.

Beckx

So yesterday I introduced a friend of mine to Dark Souls. Told him all about the philosophy, etc., then sat him down to play, with very little coaching.

We talked about the game design, how there's no hand holding, and that the message "Get Away" on the floor of the Asylum is the last bit of help from the devs in the game. He was enthused about the whole thing and picked it up when he went home.

Here's thing. He's a mostly new gamer - new, meaning that the first console of his adult life was an Xbox 360 three years ago. 99.9% of his gaming has been AAA blockbusters - CoD, Assassin's Creed.

This is either going to open new worlds for him, or I am going to get a stream of angry messages very, very soon.

2AdEPT

Starting a new game...Beat it as a magic build

Thinking about doing a faith or dex build...which would be better?

If you are comfortable with your playstyle and abilities you can scrimp on Endurance and vitality and do both!

This is what I call the skywalker build - 40 dex 30 fatih - attunement enough for : emit Force (pretty star wars if you ask me) lightning spears (darth vader or emperor shock treatment), and Darkmoon blade. The glowing blue light sabre and emit force are the two main miracles...I never use WofG much.

oh yeah, the washing Pole, Logan armour with a gold hemmed hoody rounds out the Jedi look.

well I think I just found my P2D build! Although I may be too low level for using everything at the point I arrive at the new content....really wondering how much exploration or jaunting of order they will allow down there?!?!?! Not expecting much so any at all will be a pleasant surprise.

6for8

Finally finished the Siegmeyer and Solaire storylines to the end. After so many attempts and following wikis to the letter, it would always end in failure. No sign and no slab. Needed to quit and reload to get the slab presenter to appear. Thought something went wrong again but was there after a warping and reload.

I need a titanite slab. Anyone care to trade?

If you are on ps3, I can give you a few. psn is in my profile

cnizzle06

Banned
Finally finished the Siegmeyer and Solaire storylines to the end. After so many attempts and following wikis to the letter, it would always end in failure. No sign and no slab. Needed to quit and reload to get the slab presenter to appear. Thought something went wrong again but was there after a warping and reload.

If you are on ps3, I can give you a few. psn is in my profile

Friend request sent!

BearChair

I had to kill Solaire last night and felt really bad about it. I would have let him live if that had been an option. It's my first play through the game.

That portion of the game is really difficult. You get hit with the daughter of chaos, the spiky armor invader, the lightning shooting demon and Solaire one after another. At least that is what happened to me.

I beat Bed of Chaos and then went to to the Catacombs. I think its my favorite area so far. I might have been over leveled though. The boss at the end was a pushover. I've made it to the first bonfire in Giants Tomb, and I'm not liking it as much yet. I'll probably hit the Hollow when I get through Giant's Tomb.

Was Dark Souls successful enough to get a sequel this generation? I know the DLC is coming, but I'm just curious.

Mxrz

Unless the DLC launches on the same day, some of us will be avoiding a new OT. People will want to talk about the new content, and that screws up going in blind. Not being able to talk or post about the game will be annoying tho.

Was Dark Souls successful enough to get a sequel this generation? I know the DLC is coming, but I'm just curious.
It sold well enough, but From mostly does want they want to do. Sony or Namco might try paying for another one, but it'll come down to whether From wants to do another game. Unless Sony goes with Studio Japan or something.

This generation? Probably not. We'll almost assuredly see another Souls game next generation, but I don't think there's enough time this generation for From to make a whole new game, especially if they've been working on the DLC all this time.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I really think From would be more inclined to do a sequel to Demon's before doing a Dark sequel. At least that's what I would want. That or a whole different game.

But no, there's really no chance of a sequel to either coming this gen. From will probably do a next-gen game and release it on all the systems plus PC, maybe minus Wii U depending.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the wait for DLC is painful enough and now you guys put the idea of a next gen Souls game into my brain...

I'd like to see From do the same again, i.e. use the same principles and "formula" in a completely separate world, with some interesting new touches (like Covenants - such a cool idea).

I wouldn't complain if they made a true sequel to either game, but letting them just rock it their own way seems to have worked fine so far.

Zzoram

FROM could just go the Final Fantasy route and call a game Dark Souls 2 but have no story or world connection to Dark Souls, only some game concepts.

I really think From would be more inclined to do a sequel to Demon's before doing a Dark sequel. At least that's what I would want. That or a whole different game.

But no, there's really no chance of a sequel to either coming this gen. From will probably do a next-gen game and release it on all the systems plus PC, maybe minus Wii U depending.
I thought Sony had some hold over the name Demon's Souls and that is why the next game was called Dark Souls?

From do sequels, so I see no reason at all why what must be their biggest hit in the west, (or anywhere? -- just guessing) wouldn't get a sequel.

Zzoram

The name Demon's Souls is owned by Sony.

FROM wanted to go multiplatform so they had to make a new name. That's Dark Souls.

Zaventem

I hope they don't go back to either of them soon.Someone mentioned final fantasy and the great thing about that series is the self contained worlds.The did mentioned that they'll do more souls games and going back to their roots with kings field.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...-success-changed-its-approach-to-making-games

At GDC this week, I spoke with Masanori Takeuchi, head of R&D at From Software, and Eiichi Nakajima, executive producer and director of business development, about the developer's plans for the future. We talked about the future of the Souls series and its game development plans, which included talk of making games for devices like the iPhone and iPad.

"We've always been about making games for the core gamer," Nakajima explained. "And they weren't necessarily games that did well financially, which is too bad. The success of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, which have each sold over a million [copies] per title worldwide, has made us shift our thinking internally to not just core gamers, but to globalize our products, that they can be successful on a worldwide scale. That's now one of the key pillars we consider when we develop games in the future."

I asked Takeuchi and Nakajima about the future of its Souls line, which they say will continue.

"Of course, it's not over yet," Takeuchi said. "You have to go back to our roots, which is King's Field. We've made many games in that series. We've always been enamored by dark fantasy action RPGs. That's just been our core DNA and I think we'll continue to utilize that."

Zzoram

I wouldn't mind them making an iOS Souls game before making their next-gen Dark Souls 2 with a self-contained world. It would give time for next-gen consoles to build an install base too.

I wouldn't mind them making an iOS Souls game before making their next-gen Dark Souls 2 with a self-contained world. It would give time for next-gen consoles to build an install base too.

I'd rather see demon souls ported to the Vita. Couldn't imagine playing any game like dark/demon souls on a touch screen.

Mxrz

If I'm using a lightning spear what stat do I level up? STR or DEX?

Not sure what to level up aside from VIT and END.

Neither. Lightning, like Fire, doesn't scale with any stats. Chaos gets a boost from humanity, but it ignores the other stats as well. If you plan to stick to them, you only need enough str/dex for weapon reqs.

BadWolf

Neither. Lightning, like Fire, doesn't scale with any stats. Chaos gets a boost from humanity, but it ignores the other stats as well. If you plan to stick to them, you only need enough str/dex for weapon reqs.

Ah, so I should just concentrate of leveling up VIT and END till the end of the game?

I'm at
Anor Londo
right now.

Ah, so I should just concentrate of leveling up VIT and END till the end of the game?

I'm at
Anor Londo
right now.
You might want to pick a better weapon than lightning spear soon enough, so I would hold off on a decision for a short while.

Use whatever you enjoy using, but lightning spear isn't so great that you'd want to take it to the end of the game, even if you like spears.

BadWolf

You might want to pick a better weapon than lightning spear soon enough, so I would hold off on a decision for a short while.

Use whatever you enjoy using, but lightning spear isn't so great that you'd want to take it to the end of the game, even if you like spears.

The silly issue with this series is that you always have to spend the souls you have (or risk losing them due to dying), you can't store them and level up later. So I have to level up something whether I want to or not.

That's why I'm kind of unsure what to level up, at the very least VIT and END are useful throughout I guess.

It was easy for me in demon souls since the magic stat powered both my magic and my sword.

Put some in to END/VIT now and either STR or DEX later on - It's quite limiting to put everything into just END and VIT, although it would make you a total tank - high END means you can use the heaviest armour.

What I do is get up to a level with VIT where I feel comfortable that I can tank a few big hits and then plow everything else into one of the other stats depending on my build. If you're not using magic or miracles a lot, that leaves STR or DEX, so decide what sort of weapon you like - fast and stabby or slow and smashy - then choose STR or DEX accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom