• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
45 minutes of farming in New Londo Ruins and I'm now the proud owner of a Ghost Blade. :)

Will I ever use it? Probably not, but it's nice to know they exist!

I never thought to hop down the elevator shaft - This is DS, you see a dark drop, you expect to die!

Also in the same video - it was a vegeta311 video, I liked his quick method of dropping down through the Catacombs to Pinwheel without even turning either bridge. I usually turn the first one and drop down to Vamos, but this is even quicker and cuts out most of the skeleton wheels, great for an early run down there.

Some of those shortcuts are really interesting and would make for a cool Dark Souls speedrun. I'm not sure how many I'd actually use in a normal playthrough, though, unless I was just trying to quickly finish a New Game+.

ezekial45

Banned
What's a good strategy for the boss fight against the twins in Anor Londo? My character is about lvl 60 Soul lvl, and I have him at strength endurance focus. I'm wearing the heavy armor too. Should I ditch it for something lighter?

What's a good strategy for the boss fight against the twins in Anor Londo? My character is about lvl 60 Soul lvl, and I have him at strength endurance focus. I'm wearing the heavy armor too. Should I ditch it for something lighter?

Focus on one in the first part, since the other gets their health restored anyway. Smough is easier in the second half because his moves are telegraphed and easy to dodge if you know what's coming. It's probably better to be able to dodge since I think both have unblockable attacks in their super form. If you need help, restore humanity and summon Solaire (his call sign is on the left landing in the big hall proceeding the boss door). He can pretty much distract/tank one of the duo while you focus on killing the other.

So apparently in the new PC version the BB glitch doesn't work and the DWGR only works with 25% equip load now. I hope the BB glitch isn't patched out of the ps3 version but the DWGR nerf is much needed. Now only light armor wearing, low poise builds can flip around.

Zzoram

So apparently in the new PC version the BB glitch doesn't work and the DWGR only works with 25% equip load now. I hope the BB glitch isn't patched out of the ps3 version but the DWGR nerf is much needed. Now only light armor wearing, low poise builds can flip around.

What is the BB glitch? What is BB?

Mxrz

That would be huge. I don't want the bb glitch gone either. Its the only real way to even things out with the mule beggers. DWGR nerf will be funny.

Bottomless Box Glitch - Its a way to transfer the contents of one characters bottemless box to a brand new character. It frees up a lot more experimentation since nothing takes as long to build.

Zzoram

Behold Dark Souls PC: Prepare to Die Edition

ds1.png

i929cm9FNXGWa.png

itMZQgsraPp5l.png

iRGPbeK6uB3L3.png

The best NPC in Dark Souls 2 better be named Durante.

That would be huge. I don't want the bb glitch gone either. Its the only real way to even things out with the mule beggers. DWGR nerf will be funny.

I can understand nerfing the DWGR because of its abuse in PVP, but that'll radically alter my mage since I used the DWGR so I could optimize my mage's armor and I don't really do PVP unless people invade me. I'll have to build up his endurance now. :(

Wow, that Dark Wood Grain Ring change, if true (and I'm not surprised if it is), is a very big alteration. Presumably this change will also occur when the patch is released with the DLC for the PS3 and 360? If so, that could lead to people having to drastically alter their builds as so many people (myself included) rely on it for builds. The only thing I fear is that this may lead to an increase in use for the Hornet Ring but it's still much better than the Dark Wood Grain Ring.

Also, sorry if it's been mentioned but how will spoilers in this thread work with regards to the Artorias of the Abyss DLC? Will discussion related to that (from the PC version) be spoiler marked so those of us who want to go in without knowing anything are able to or is unmarked discussion relating to it going to be allowed after a few weeks of the Prepare to Die Edition?

EDIT: TheSeks, The Dark Wood Grain Ring is gotten from the ninja in the forest covenant. This ring allows you to do a cartwheel instead of a normal fast roll, and I have heard it has more i-frames than the fast roll too. Unlike the fast roll though, which requires your equip load to be less than 25% of the maximum, the cartwheel works at 50% of your maximum equip load. Essentially, it means you can get the best roll while wearing very heavy armour since it works up to 50% as opposed to 25% (or at least, before the Prepare to Die Edition).

The Bottomless Box glitch allows you to transfer all your items from one character to a new character. After filling up all ten character slots, in your main character, you remove all items and put them in the bottomless box. You then go to new game and press Triangle/Y (the info/status button) on your main character and press Triangle/Y again (WITHOUT DELETING HIM!). You then press X/A on another character slot and make your character as normal. Then you run to the Merchant in the Undead Burg and buy the Bottomless Box (you should have enough from the Asylum Demon). Everything from your main character will then be in the Bottomless Box, allowing you to very easily, and quickly, make builds. This is very significant for the aforementioned reason. For example, if you wish to make a Chaos Blade build, normally you'd have to beat the Bell Gargoyles, defeat Quelagg, get the Large Embler from the Depths (defeating Capra Demon), defeat the Iron Golemn, progress to the end of Anor Londo and forge the weapon. With the Bottomless Box Glitch, none of that is necessary. You can just quickly run through the tutorial, to the merchant and (in combination with the new Dragonhead Glitch) level up to Level 120 (putting the points in the appropriate stats), at which point you're good to go.

Mxrz

Well, there is a PC OT now. I imagine most talk of the new stuff will be there until the DLC hits. Hopefully no one pops in here with a huge "OMG THE PC WAS ATORIAS ALL ALONG" for cool points. Could maybe ask for the other/new OT to mention something about not spoiler bombing this thread until the DLC hits. But it probably won't be an issue.

I like the DWGR change because suddenly there is a drawback to being a heavy poise tank. As it is now, the DWGR completely tossed out any sense of balance not only between the armors, but also heavy vs fast weapons. With Havel, Giants, etc. not being able to fast roll, Heavy/strength weapons might become viable again.

Well, there is a PC OT now. I imagine most talk of the new stuff will be there until the DLC hits. Hopefully no one pops in here with a huge "OMG THE PC WAS ATORIAS ALL ALONG" for cool points. Could maybe ask for the other/new OT to mention something about not spoiler bombing this thread until the DLC hits. But it probably won't be an issue.

I like the DWGR change because suddenly there is a drawback to being a heavy poise tank. As it is now, the DWGR completely tossed out any sense of balance not only between the armors, but also heavy vs fast weapons. I.e. You can wear Giants armor still, but now have a good shot at hitting you with a great axe.

Ok, thanks for that. I'll read with caution from here on out but hopefully, as you've said, nobody will do such a thing.

The DWGR is definitely a big positive though, I don't think many people would dispute that. As you've stated, before, everybody was able to hit the high poise limit without "a drawback" but that finally isn't the case. Hopefully this doesn't lead to everybody just wearing the Gold Hemmed Set but that is a starting point at least, definitely better than everybody wearing Giants set with Mask of the Mother, RoFaP and DWGR. As you've mentioned, it should be very interesting to see how it alters the balance between the weapons, armours and rings, hopefully in a positive way.

The DWGR nerf is great, hated seeing the Havels/Father mask/ Murk invaders. It is a waste of time to fight them.

Also I hope they tighten the combustion hit box too.

Yeah, I'm just staying out of the PC thread until the DLC is released for consoles. I was assuming people who were playing the version with new content would stick to that thread, so I hope people who get to the new content put it in spoilers here at the very least.

The DWGR is definitely a big positive though, I don't think many people would dispute that. As you've stated, before, everybody was able to hit the high poise limit without "a drawback" but that finally isn't the case. Hopefully this doesn't lead to everybody just wearing the Gold Hemmed Set but that is a starting point at least, definitely better than everybody wearing Giants set with Mask of the Mother, RoFaP and DWGR. As you've mentioned, it should be very interesting to see how it alters the balance between the weapons, armours and rings, hopefully in a positive way.

I think it's overall a big positive, it's just going to be a pain because I was using a mage and have already maxed out my favorite armor, and it's about 33-40% of weight because I went for a low-END build so now most of my NG+ levels are basically going to go into pumping endurance so I can still use my armor. But since normal fast dodging is 25% too, as a mage I won't absolutely need the DWGR so it actually will end up freeing up my accessory slot for something else.

Soulhouf

Really? I'm glad they fixed 2 of the most annoying issues IMO. YES!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like the DLC will be out around Halloween. Bit longer than I'd like, but somehow fitting too.
Sounds like Halloween? That's end of October, right? Much sooner than expected if so ^^

Oh, and great to know about those fixes - that DWGR nerf had to be done. It's not even a nerf, really. It just makes far more sense.

Obviously we have yet to see how it fully works, but I think if you've got separate arenas for PvP, you shouldn't need to be duping/glitching to create a character in the main single-player world.
Patching out the BB glitch would remove twinking characters out and trolling people at low levels. That's a good thing in my opinion.

Wowbagger

The DWGR nerf is fantastic news. Seems you can warp to more bonfires as well (the ones in Undead Parish and the Depths, at least).

Having to wait months for console DLC is gonna be torture.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Playing the PC version with a 360 controller feels...awkward. It's throwing off my game a bit. I might switch to the MLG controller PS3-style. But even then the 360-style RB/LB just don't feel right compared to my feel of the PS3 controller, too clicky... I'd use a Dualshock 3 but there's no way I'm using Motionjoy again.

Anyway, onto the DLC tomorrow after work, should be fun.

Roche

Playing the PC version with a 360 controller feels...awkward. It's throwing off my game a bit. I might switch to the MLG controller PS3-style. But even then the 360-style RB/LB just don't feel right compared to my feel of the PS3 controller, too clicky... I'd use a Dualshock 3 but there's no way I'm using Motionjoy again.

Anyway, onto the DLC tomorrow after work, should be fun.

You can use a PS3 controller there's a program that lets you emulate an Xbox controller. I think it's called DS3.

2AdEPT

45 minutes of farming in New Londo Ruins and I'm now the proud owner of a Ghost Blade. :)

Will I ever use it? Probably not, but it's nice to know they exist!

NOt use it?????? Try R2 quickly followed by another R2 (but must have tonnes of stamina.) There are several nPC's who will get this attack upon level clearing time!!! I still haven't found an appropriate enemy that just walks around (hollows etc. ) that can take any more than the first two hits of the second r2...the last two hits are always into air......would be GODLY if I could use it in PVP situation, but it seems that most opponents have enough poise to break out of it.

I suppose the lizards in sens might be good candidates!!!!.....but the novelty of it for me is that the swings come in just about FACE level!

NOt use it?????? Try R2 quickly followed by another R2 (but must have tonnes of stamina.) There are several nPC's who will get this attack upon level clearing time!!! I still haven't found an appropriate enemy that just walks around (hollows etc. ) that can take any more than the first two hits of the second r2...the last two hits are always into air......would be GODLY if I could use it in PVP situation, but it seems that most opponents have enough poise to break out of it.

I suppose the lizards in sens might be good candidates!!!!.....but the novelty of it for me is that the swings come in just about FACE level!
Yeah the R2 attack does look pretty cool, the psycho stabbing R2 of the Jagged one does too!

I must be having a brain block, I can't think of where the lizards in Sen's are.

MechaX

Even though DWGR's nerf kinda ruins my Darkmoon character (it used the Brass Armor on top of sorcery), I can't argue against the fact that the nerf was really needed. Too bad none of the roll options are really anywhere near as fluid as the roll in DeS.

But I know this isn't even going to put a dent in the Burger King/Mom's & Havels cookie cutter builds.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Even though DWGR's nerf kinda ruins my Darkmoon character (it used the Brass Armor on top of sorcery), I can't argue against the fact that the nerf was really needed. Too bad none of the roll options are really anywhere near as fluid as the roll in DeS.

But I know this isn't even going to put a dent in the Burger King/Mom's & Havels cookie cutter builds.

Lmao Burger King, I never thought of that.

wake_up_with_the-_king.png

HAHA

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Urgh, I didn't want to double dip but had to get the PC version because frickin DLC's won't come to PS3 until sometime in winter. :'(

Sullichin

For those not checking out the PC thread:

The Dark Wood Grain ring is nerfed. I tried it myself. Can only flip when you're at 25% equip. Hopefully this change will make it to consoles.

Guevara

For those not checking out the PC thread:

The Dark Wood Grain ring is nerfed. I tried it myself. Can only flip when you're at 25% equip. Hopefully this change will make it to consoles.
Think the DLC will come with these changes? I guess that means they'd only have to pay the patch tax once, but it might split the user base.

Some more changes: Eagle Shield is now 95% physical reduction

I guess it made other greatshields look bad before, given its super low weight and 84 stability. Still, not many players use greatshields these days. They're like training wheels.

pringles

Some more changes: Eagle Shield is now 95% physical reduction

I guess it made other greatshields look bad before, given its super low weight and 84 stability. Still, not many players use greatshields these days. They're like training wheels.
Nooooooo... it's all I've been using for most of the game. I have it at +14. Been a lifesaver.

Though the Black Knight Shield is quite nice as well, I'll move to that I guess.

ArynCrinn

Banned
You can use a PS3 controller there's a program that lets you emulate an Xbox controller. I think it's called DS3.

Yeah, that's Motionjoy, which I'm not using. I used it for a while and all I ever got was driver conflicts with my 360 controller and all kinds of other bugs. I say no to Motionjoy.

I'm also hearing that greatswords have been slowed down? Maybe just Claymore.

Also a new sword with S dex scaling.

Would you be able to supply my information on the new sword with the S Dexterity scaling by any chance (if you have more information of course)? The base stats, requirements, sword type and more for example are something I'd really appreciate as this would be very big for a pure Dexterity build assuming the base stats are high enough so that it doesn't need a buff.

Mxrz

There's no cost for updating on PS3, so isn't much of an issue there. Dunno about XBL these days, but I doubt Namco wouldn't pay if they need to.

PC version is basically next-gen Dark Souls.

The game is ridiculously beautiful on PC.
It is the same assets. All that is changed is the higher resolution. It would be incredibly disappointing if that was all we get on PS4/etc.

If BB-glitch is gone, they need to nuke 'trading' entirely. All the forums were full of people mule-begging before, and likely will be again. It won't curb any low level invading since there isn't going to be a character wipe, and staying low level isn't all that difficult now days. Still if it has to go, I hope a lot of other things are as well. The Dragonhead needs to be either removed or reworked entirely. If there are any exploits in the future, it'll involve it in some manner.

Okay, since the PC thread is full with noobies raging at Taurus Demon, I think it's better to discuss the new areas here, where people may actually have reached them already. I'm gonna spoiler everything, just in case.

I've fought three bosses so far:
1)
Chimaera boss (Sanctuary Guardian), just inside the sanctuary. Pretty fast and nasty, but I got it with my +5 Fire Washing Pole.

2)
Artorias! Really hard fight, I upgraded to +8 Fire and eventually switched to my +5 DKGS, but still needed another player to help. He's Sif+Ornstein on speed. Very fun, but annoyingly hard. Sometimes he oneshots you for lols.

3)
Manus, Father of the Abyss. This is the hand thing that grabs you into Oolacile to begin with. He reminds me of Taurus Demon + Centipede Demon, doesn't seem that complex. Quite a run from the nearest bonfire though, but there are few enemies.

The areas get more and more interesting as you go. MAJOR AREA/CHARACTER SPOILERS!
First area is Darkroot Forest Remix (Royal Woods), basically just to get you to the town. Mostly old enemies in new shapes. Second area is Oolacile Township. It's packed with insane, mutated men and caster women. Pretty unsettling. This area heavily reminds me of Demon's Souls. Also a new NPC invasion and you get to meet all three remaining knights (including Artorias). After getting to the bottom of the city, I found a shortcut elevator. Then it's Tomb of the Giants 2 (Chasm of the Abyss), which is inhabited by freaky humanity ghosts which simply walk into you to kill you. I was lucky to have brought my maggot helmet. There is a shortcut back up to the forest so I'm using that, since I'm not sure how to get to the boss from the first bonfire in the area.

Overall, there's a hefty dose of new content, but not many new items so far. I got two awesome daggers (which I don't use...) and pieces of a tank set.

It's so hard to not watch videos of the new content on youtube.

FROM, please release that DLC soon.

Yes, seriously. I want to highlight all that spoilered stuff ugh.

I can't decide if I want to play through as a character now and be all set up and ready to take on the new content when it's released, or wait until there's a release date and start playing closer to then.

Put enough into Intelligence and Faith so you can at least learn spells/miracles. Then you can use your excess souls to buy advanced spells/miracles.

It's a great way to save your souls and on NG+ you might want to start using spells and miracles.

EDIT: And pyromancy too. I never used pyro my first play through, but used excess spells to get as much as I could for my second game.

How much faith and int do I need to use some decent spells? Im going for at least 20 each in either anyway for Artorias' greatsword, will that be enough?

Zaventem

Overall, there's a hefty dose of new content, but not many new items so far. I got two awesome daggers (which I don't use...) and pieces of a tank set.

A lot of the content is hidden.
the guy that sells armors of bosses in dark souls sells Artorias armor.You haven't faced the Dragon and there's a special pendant that actually does something!

Also
lightning weapons got nerfed and hornets dagger only does 30% now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom