• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldat7

Not interested in glitching for souls, but I am curious....couldn't you delete the game and start a new character offline without patching? Then glitch and perform the patching, no? Not like your soul level would be stripped, right?

In that room right before the bridge is a breakable wall that will lead you back to the top of the Catacombs.
Whaaaaat?! I know about the breakable wall, with the sarcophagus, statue etc I was down there - I never knew it led back to the start! o_O

Just did it - I usually skip that section, so I'd never noticed the path leading to the tranquil walk miracle, I've never picked that miracle up before, wow lol!

STILL finding things about this game! :)

Just saw this...

A retail edition of the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition including Dark Souls™ original game and the new in game content -Artorias of the Abyss- will be coming to Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 on October 26th.

199818_375536249186092_490657385_n.jpg

The additional content will also be available as a paid DLC 'Artorias of the Abyss' the very same day for owner of the original Dark Souls game on Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3.

Dark SoulsTM: Prepare to Die™ Edition include sprawling new maps and environments; new boss characters, enemies and non-playable characters; an arsenal of new weapons and armour; and additional challenging content for stalwart heroes to face as they return to the deadly world of Lordran. It also offers an untold chapter in Dark Souls lore set in the dying kingdom of magic known as Oolacile. Unwillingly taken by the abyss and sent back in time, you will become the only one who can save Oolacile from the spreading darkness that threatens to engulf the kingdom and all of its people.

Anteater

well nothing too interesting from tomb of the giants other than it's dark as fuck, worst area in the game so far!

Time to wreck some shit at the opened up anor londo place

Anteater

ToG is atmospheric as fuck and seeing Izalith on one side, Ash Lake on the other is just mindblowingly awesome.

I couldn't see shit :(, maybe my brightness was too low

The times I've dropped to my death in that 1 area must've exceeded the total deaths I had the entire game

I'm also incredibly bad at directions

I couldn't see shit :(, maybe my brightness was too low

The times I've dropped to my death in that 1 area must've exceeded the total deaths I had the entire game

I'm also incredibly bad at directions
There are a couple spells/ items that help you. If you got a skull lantern from the catacombs you could use that, otherwise there is helm or spells that illuminate.

Also I've seen a spell that has lights on the walls of placed, what is that?

Anteater

There are a couple spells/ items that help you. If you got a skull lantern from the catacombs you could use that, otherwise there is helm or spells that illuminate.

Also I've seen a spell that has lights on the walls of placed, what is that?

Yeah I got the skull lantern then it was ok for the second half, I couldn't find the first bonfire for the longest time (seriously, I spent the entire night looking for it, and I figure it out that it was like 3 skeletons into the level lol).

So I spent a lot of time just running around getting ganged up by skeletons and dropping into a bottomless abyss, I couldn't even tell you how I got out of there

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Invading a lot the past couple of days. Trying a couple of new builds out that I'm saving for the patch. Trying to play with barely any poise / no DWGR against people with poise + DWGR = lol

Once you learn the layout of TotG it's not so worrysome to go there, even in the dark. There are all those twists and turns down though, I always forget where they are/which one I'm at if I'm running through.

I used to hate Lost Izalith too, but after spending a whole evening farming red titanite chunks and demon titanite I got to be quite fond of it - I just wish there was more to do there, it's spacious, but not much going on there once you've run through once. I should do some invading there, I don't even know where the spawn points are, don't think I've ever been invaded in LI.

I used to hate Lost Izalith too, but after spending a whole evening farming red titanite chunks and demon titanite I got to be quite fond of it - I just wish there was more to do there, it's spacious, but not much going on there once you've run through once. I should do some invading there, I don't even know where the spawn points are, don't think I've ever been invaded in LI.

If the entirety of Lost Izalith was like the second half, I think a lot of people wouldn't have had a problem with it. My biggest issue with Lost Izalith is the retina-searing lava and the giant dinosaurs that blend in with the background colors because of the retina-searing lava. But once you get past that, it's a pretty neat little area.

Started up my paladin runthrough, joined the Sunbro covenant and did some jolly co-operation for a few hours in the Undead Parish. Managed to beat the gargoyles twice out of about eight summons...the other six times the host was invaded and either died or I died protecting them. Would probably be a lot more effective if I had better armor than the priest's starting robes, but oh well. Having fun doing assistance since I need the Sunlight Medals to get all the miracles. (That and the rare weapons achievement is all I have left.)

Speaking of rare weapons, I was dicking around in my game while I was waiting to be summoned....killed the Channeler in the Parish and guess what drop I get? Yup, trident, first try, after I spent a good hour in my sorcerer build trying to get it. Oh well, I have to do several games to get the miracles, looks like I'm going to be getting the rare weapons with my paladin.

The_Monk

All the new contents will be released on DLC or will they be only possible with a new physical copy of Dark Souls Prepare to die Edition fellow GAFfers?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
All the new contents will be released on DLC or will they be only possible with a new physical copy of Dark Souls Prepare to die Edition fellow GAFfers?
IIRC all the content will be with the DLC. Not sure why they wouldn't have specific features available.

The_Monk

IIRC all the content will be with the DLC. Not sure why they wouldn't have specific features available.

Thanks for answering, I hope it's the case too. Will post in the future some problems I've been having with this game since now I'm back after so much time.

I got the LE on Day one and got in here with all the hype (I still remember a GAFfer cutting himself with a sword that he put in his couch or something, ha)

zewone

Without giving too much away, can anyone who has completed the new content give me an idea of how long in length is the new content? 2,3,4, etc hours?

I'd like to know how much my $10-20 is going to get me. Thank you.

krakov

Speaking of rare weapons, I was dicking around in my game while I was waiting to be summoned....killed the Channeler in the Parish and guess what drop I get? Yup, trident, first try, after I spent a good hour in my sorcerer build trying to get it. Oh well, I have to do several games to get the miracles, looks like I'm going to be getting the rare weapons with my paladin.

Also got the trident in Burg a few days ago, only took me about 50 characters!

I'm pretty amazed at how active the 360 (the lesser) community is. Red eye stone nets constant invasions at SL43 and SL101 in Anor Londo, summon signs are plenty everywhere and you see a lot of interesting stuff. The bug that let's you enchant weapons that normally can't be enchanted is very common these days. Really looking forward to the dlc and it's changes. PvP will be completely different once the DWGR is nerfed.

Bed Of Chaos never fails to make my blood boil. I write off my souls every time, but it still smarts to lose 5+ million + 61 humanity. Fuck.

The schadenfreude of reading when the new PC players get to Bed Of Chaos for the first should be some compensation at least!

Yo Gotti

Banned
Just now realized how badass the Silver Knight Straight Sword is.

Using it on my 50 Faith build with Sunlight Blade, with a Lightning Ricards Rapier as backup. The strong attacks are almost as fast as the normal attacks and do twice the damage.

I've been playing this game for a year and I'm still finding new things to do with builds that make the game feel fresh.

Guevara

Using it on my 50 Faith build with Sunlight Blade, with a Lightning Ricards Rapier as backup. The strong attacks are almost as fast as the normal attacks and do twice the damage.

I've been playing this game for a year and I'm still finding new things to do with builds that make the game feel fresh.

Straight Swords for life. I just love the SKSS moveset.

Yes, yes, yes ! I use it with my Dex-Int build and is godly. Amazing base damage, quick strike, and you can inbue it.

Edit: Look at the Barbed Sword too. You also get bleed effect with the spell.

MechaX

Invading a lot the past couple of days. Trying a couple of new builds out that I'm saving for the patch. Trying to play with barely any poise / no DWGR against people with poise + DWGR = lol

You are a better man than me. I think I'm just going to wait until the DLC comes out and just try a new build. That way I know the game well enough where I can just gouge Endurance at the expense of Vitality.

I'm pretty amazed at how active the 360 (the lesser) community is. Red eye stone nets constant invasions at SL43 and SL101 in Anor Londo, summon signs are plenty everywhere and you see a lot of interesting stuff. The bug that let's you enchant weapons that normally can't be enchanted is very common these days. Really looking forward to the dlc and it's changes. PvP will be completely different once the DWGR is nerfed.

Yeah, I've been having a ton of fun with this character as a co-op buddy, even though I'm still tweaking my paladin build a little bit. I've successfully helped three people with the Bell Gargoyles and two with the Capra Demon. Almost added a Moonlight Butterfly to my resume but the summoner didn't know how to dodge the Butterfly's shots and died before me and the other phantom could kill it with lightning spears.

Is there anything better for faith builds early game than Astora's Straight Sword? I'm going to switch to something else later but right now it seems to be doing okay by me. It seems like to get all the good miracles you have to do a lot of co-op/PVP. I think getting the Souvenirs of Reprisal is going to be the biggest bitch of them all, although Blade of the Darkmoon is my favorite covenant, so no real problems there.

krakov

Yeah, I've been having a ton of fun with this character as a co-op buddy, even though I'm still tweaking my paladin build a little bit. I've successfully helped three people with the Bell Gargoyles and two with the Capra Demon. Almost added a Moonlight Butterfly to my resume but the summoner didn't know how to dodge the Butterfly's shots and died before me and the other phantom could kill it with lightning spears.

Is there anything better for faith builds early game than Astora's Straight Sword? I'm going to switch to something else later but right now it seems to be doing okay by me. It seems like to get all the good miracles you have to do a lot of co-op/PVP. I think getting the Souvenirs of Reprisal is going to be the biggest bitch of them all, although Blade of the Darkmoon is my favorite covenant, so no real problems there.

You should go get the sunlight blade asap and then work for the darkmoon blade in ng+ or so. A good scaling weapon +15 with sunlight/darkmoon blade is the best bet for a faith build.

Just saw this...

Oh my god, does this contain physical items with it (as opposed to the digital map and portion of the guide in the Limited Edition)? If so, a quadruple dip on this game may be in order.

Also, Yo Gotti (sorry if I spelt that wrong), have you checked out the Balder's Side Sword since you enjoy Straight Swords? I'm not sure how it scales with Faith (but then again, that might not even matter too much since you could bring it to +15 and buff it with the Darkmoon Blade or Sunlight Blade) but it's move set when combined with it's speed makes it a formidable weapon. The only problem is that it doesn't inflict Bleed status but even still it might be worth trying out.

Doing my first NG++ and at first it didn't seem much different to NG+ but I found Sif quite a challenge, his double 360 attack insta-killed me 3 times before I learned to be more patient. O&S weren't much different, never had much problem with them though, prefer to take fatty out first.

I've had a few odd NPC happenings I hadn't seen before because of doing things 'out of order'. Often I have to reload to get Solaire to show up at the bridge because I never kill the Taurus demon, but this time I left him completely until I got the Lord Vessel and warped back. I didn't know his summon sign would appear without you speaking to him first, but it was in the Depths and Anor Londo, so I guess he's happy to help whether he's your Sunbro or not (he wasn't by the Anor Londo bonfire either).

Lautrec - I did Blighttown before the Parish, so by the time I came to his cell, he wasn't there and I didn't have an option to even open the cell door.

Rhea - this is the weirdest one. I met her in TotG, then bought her miracles in the Parish and then killed her as per. Then killed Petrus. When I came back to Firelink to put back the Firekeeper's soul, she was alive and aggro'd in the area where she appears at Firelink - I definately remember killing her and have the Ivory Talisman from her drop. Thought this was odd, killing her twice.

microtubule

Whoa at the Prepare to Die edition! Backlog-itis prevented me from purchasing Dark Souls at launch but looks like I have this to look forward to!

I'm about to start Blighttown again. Hated it during my first playthrough as a Pyromancer and I'm thinking I'm going to hate it more as a Knight. Definitely saying screw it and just going through the Valley of Drakes entrance.

Prodigal

Banned
If I bring my copy of DS over to a friend's house and start a new guy, can I throw it on a usb stick and bring it home to play on my own Ps3? This is a brand new copy so I could just throw the entire thing on there.

Soulhouf

I'm about to start Blighttown again. Hated it during my first playthrough as a Pyromancer and I'm thinking I'm going to hate it more as a Knight. Definitely saying screw it and just going through the Valley of Drakes entrance.

You will miss the best pyromancy spell that way and one of the best shield/katana as well.

You could go through the back entrance, do Queelag and then put down your summon sign whilst you explore the rest - free souls, humanity and get the goodies at your leisure.

I always use the Valley Of Drakes entrance but still go and get at least Power Within, even if I don't want the other treasures in the area, it's a super short trip up. Not that it's a difficult kill, but you can also take out that weird monster that guards Power Witihin with a couple of posion arrows right from the other side just below the chest with New Londo key. Just above that monster is also an easy potshot of one of the regular enemies up there, it's funny to fire off one arrow and watch him fall to death, a la the Painted Guardians in the painting room roof walkway.

This is kind of related to Blighttown, but also completely unrelated: I was thinking about making a character and plowing points in to Resistance just to see the results. Say take it to SL120 and put points into VIT/END/RES and the usual few in STR/DEX just to unlock some weapon choices. Wear high resistance armour for full role play effect. Maybe it's not a completely useless stat after all, or maybe it is! :)

Bumhead

Banned
Would anyone be able to assist me with defeating Quelaag? Having a few problems and running short on humanity for the inevitable re-attempts at trying to do this in human form so I can summon.

Not really sure on the procedure or protocol here (never summoned a human player before) but I'm a level 33 Pyromancer, PS3 version. Anyone be able to assist?

Man, it's like night and day comparing how I played Dark Souls the first time to how I'm playing it now. My first runthrough I pretty much solo'd everything because I was too afraid of messing up when people were helping me, had a really difficult time and got really frustrated at parts. I also would get rid of humanity and souls as soon as I got to a bonfire because I was scared of losing them.

Cut to now, on my third playthrough as a strength/faith build, I'm doing full co-op everywhere. I think I've helped another player beat every boss except the Taurus Demon through S&O. I'm strolling around with tons of humanity and souls and don't give a crap. I'm having so much fun with this melee/faith build it's crazy. I just spent the last three hours hanging around the S&O bonfire helping other people beat them. I've gotten so good at kiting that if there's three of us, I usually just lead the one they want alive around the arena while the other two beat up the other one.

I think that's what makes me love Dark Souls so much: the fact that if you enjoy a boss battle/area, you don't have to start a new playthrough and work your way back just to enjoy those five minutes again. You just plop down a summoning sign and hang out and enjoy replaying it over and over. It's like a choose-your-own boss rush. I really hope they don't change anything about the co-op system in the next game. It's so much fun to just help out random people.

Also, I know there are probably better armors statistically in the game, but damn if Ornstein's Set isn't my favorite looking armor. Aesthetically, I think I'm going to just stick with the full Ornstein Set as my main armor simply because I just love the way it looks...and it's not low-tier by any means. Too bad his spear isn't great, otherwise I'd become a mini-Ornstein.

Just got completely destroyed by the first King at 4 Kings on NG++ 2 hits I was dead, one of my white phantom helpers got 1-hit KO'd by the AOE blast just as my 'YOU DIED' came up. I think, this is going to be difficult :/

Not really sure on the procedure or protocol here (never summoned a human player before) but I'm a level 33 Pyromancer, PS3 version. Anyone be able to assist?
Be in human form yourself and hang around the bonfire in the sewer, you're about the right level for Blighttown, so there should be summon signs frequently. You can also use Maneater Mildred who's sign is right outside the fog door to Queelag.

2AdEPT

Without giving too much away, can anyone who has completed the new content give me an idea of how long in length is the new content? 2,3,4, etc hours?

I'd like to know how much my $10-20 is going to get me. Thank you.

reports are coming in anywhere from 2-10 hours...lol

I think the 2 hour guy rushed through though with a high SL cannon...8-10 hours is the developers idea including every last thing you could possibly do so maybe a little over -assessed, most say 4-5 hours....But depends on hom many times you attempt bosses and wheter you bring a decked out character or a developing one.

I have spent over a 1000 hours playign souls games over 3.5 years doing different things etc. so how long it takes me to do things is largely irrelevant....but I noticed no-one else anwered your question!! ;)

CatPee

If I bring my copy of DS over to a friend's house and start a new guy, can I throw it on a usb stick and bring it home to play on my own Ps3? This is a brand new copy so I could just throw the entire thing on there.

DS's saves are copy-protected, so no.

Bumhead

Banned
Be in human form yourself and hang around the bonfire in the sewer, you're about the right level for Blighttown, so there should be summon signs frequently. You can also use Maneater Mildred who's sign is right outside the fog door to Queelag.

Yeah, I've been using Maneater without much joy. Can you summon phantoms as well as human summons to fight boss battles? I was under the impression you could only have one or the other for some reason.

Yeah, I've been using Maneater without much joy. Can you summon phantoms as well as human summons to fight boss battles? I was under the impression you could only have one or the other for some reason.
You can have two summons total, any mix of NPC/human.

Mildred can be completely useless sometimes the AI can often crap out and she will just stand there at the door, other times she will tank it like a champ!

I'm down there right now lvl 30 if you're still online and need help, PS3 - wearing my onion head!

Just got completely destroyed by the first King at 4 Kings on NG++ 2 hits I was dead, one of my white phantom helpers got 1-hit KO'd by the AOE blast just as my 'YOU DIED' came up. I think, this is going to be difficult :/

Are you on ps3? What SL? I can help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom