• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Co-op, invasions, invading - just the general fun and longevity of playing the game online.

It's still a fantastic single player game, but online adds so much.

Dark Souls is one of those fantastic, idle-time games if you use the online co-op.

Once you complete a build you enjoy and find a place you like to be summoned at, you just load up your character, plop down a summon sign and then chill. Do work, read a book, chill on the internet until you get summoned, play your favorite area with your favorite build while helping another dude, then when you're done plop down a new summoning sign and repeat. That's what I've been doing for O&S.

Also, for the new content, I found something neat that I'm going to try once it comes out as DLC:

Artorias of the Abyss Challenge
1) Forge the Soul of Sif into the Greatsword of Artorias
2) Don the Artorias Set
3) Equip the Wolf Ring
4) Equip Havel’s Ring/Equip FAP ring/Get enough END to fast roll
5) No Shield

Two Artorias’ enter; One Artorias Leaves

I got my first BP enemies last night. Anor Londo was completely over-run by BP knights. At first I thought it was just a BP giant guard at the front doors, but once I got past the archers and through the fog door, there were BP silver knights everywhere. One with knight behind the stairs, one at the top of the stairs, two either side of the archer in the hallway, two either side of the archer on the roof, and then I got invaded too, trying not to aggro the knights on the roof whilst I took out a crystal soulmass/dragon's breath shooting invader.

I want even more of this in the next game. Cut down the covenants to invading/co-op/shit spreading is enough for me, I think they spread themselves too thin in DS to make each covenant work at it's best.

Zzoram

I got my first BP enemies last night. Anor Londo was completely over-run by BP knights. At first I thought it was just a BP giant guard at the front doors, but once I got past the archers and through the fog door, there were BP silver knights everywhere. One with knight behind the stairs, one at the top of the stairs, two either side of the archer in the hallway, two either side of the archer on the roof, and then I got invaded too, trying not to aggro the knights on the roof whilst I took out a crystal soulmass/dragon's breath shooting invader.

I want even more of this in the next game. Cut down the covenants to invading/co-op/shit spreading is enough for me, I think they spread themselves too thin in DS to make each covenant work at it's best.

Ya, fewer but more refined covenants specific for co-op and pvp would be best.

krakov

Seen a bunch of gravelorded worlds lately invading as a darkwraith. Also a lot of people gravelording. Seems to be just as boring as ever though.

haha, it adds another element of danger for the host player. but it would work better if when you use an eye of death that they got sucked into your world or something, not just a sign on the floor. It's definately borked because it isn't as interactive as most other covenants. The dragon eye one is similar, I hardly ever get summoned.

krakov

haha, it adds another element of danger for the host player. but it would work better if when you use an eye of death that they got sucked into your world or something, not just a sign on the floor. It's definately borked because it isn't as interactive as most other covenants. The dragon eye one is similar, I hardly ever get summoned.

If there was some sort of indication that it was working and maybe a reward whenever someone was killed in a cursed world it would be a lot better. As it is you just stand around waiting with very little activity and you also can't progress without locking out the current area. Dragon eye stone actually works pretty well in some areas at the right SL. At 100ish you should get a lot of action in Kiln/Burg.

pringles

4 Kings in NG+... is this possible?? Honestly I've been breezing through NG+ so far, barely a death, but here I've hit a brick wall. I guess I could do some other stuff first, level up some more and come back.. but fuck, I want to take down these bastards. I'm SL120 I think which should be high enough, right?

Any tips? I didn't have trouble on NG but now they kill me so fast and I can't take even one down before another 2 have spawned. Tried summoning help but that didn't bring much success either.

4 Kings in NG+... is this possible?? Honestly I've been breezing through NG+ so far, barely a death, but here I've hit a brick wall. I guess I could do some other stuff first, level up some more and come back.. but fuck, I want to take down these bastards. I'm SL120 I think which should be high enough, right?

Any tips? I didn't have trouble on NG but now they kill me so fast and I can't take even one down before another 2 have spawned. Tried summoning help but that didn't bring much success either.

On that level they shouldn't be much problem, especially if you summon couple of mages to spam magic there... I suggest using a shield with high magic defense (Grass Crest Shield is the best one if I remember right) so their attacks do pretty much no damage on impact.

Keep your equipment load low too so you can roll dodge the close range attacks more easily, the timing needs some tries to figure out though.

I just did it on NG+, it wasn't much different although I got a 5th King for the first time. NG++ was pretty rock solid for me - I usually just tank hits, sup estus and two-hand melee, but for NG++ I had to stay back using Avelyn and healing my helper whilst they used spells.

Rolling through their hits is the way to go, but I'm not familiar enough with the attack patterns because I'm so used to just tanking their hits.

Just got the miracles achievement. Funny thing is, I am missing the 2 miracles that are dropped from monsters in the Duke's Archives. I guess these don't count.

The Abyss.

Also farming stones (slabs and chunks, really) is a chore. :/
I kind of wonder if farming chunks at the Kiln and just replaying the game (either through NG+ or BB glitch) for slabs isn't more efficient.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just got the miracles achievement. Funny thing is, I am missing the 2 miracles that are dropped from monsters in the Duke's Archives. I guess these don't count.

If you got them on a previous character they count. It's a checklist across ALL characters, IIRC.

I kind of wonder if farming chunks at the Kiln and just replaying the game (either through NG+ or BB glitch) for slabs isn't more efficient.

Kiln can give you the chunks easy. It's getting the slabs that's impossible. :/ I need one more red, one more blue and two white (I don't even THINK I found the White slab treasure drop?)

Kiln can give you the chunks easy. It's getting the slabs that's impossible. :/ I need one more red, one more blue and two white (I don't even THINK I found the White slab treasure drop?)
The white slab is in the tomb of giants, at the end, right before the boss. From what I've seen on my first playthrough, you can get 2 regular (asylum+onion knight), 1 blue (crystal caves), 2 red (Izalith+Sparkly) and 1 white (tomb of the giants) without farming.

Edit: haven't gotten through my PC copy yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they added slabs in the new content.

Baconbitz

Banned
Here goes a noob question. Bought this a few Months ago. Just put it in. The question. What does seeing blood do? I saw blood on the ground and some text came up and went away so fast I wasn't able to read it.

Here goes a noob question. Bought this a few Months ago. Just put it in. The question. What does seeing blood do? I saw blood on the ground and some text came up and went away so fast I wasn't able to read it.
Bloodstains are replays of the death of other players. If you click them you'll see the poor dude's phantom acting his last moments. They can be helpful in showing you what you shouldn't do.

If there was some sort of indication that it was working and maybe a reward whenever someone was killed in a cursed world it would be a lot better. As it is you just stand around waiting with very little activity and you also can't progress without locking out the current area. Dragon eye stone actually works pretty well in some areas at the right SL. At 100ish you should get a lot of action in Kiln/Burg.

I love the idea of Gravelording but yeah, there's no interactivity on your part unless they find your sign. Some tweaks to that covenant would be awesome for the next game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, really? Is this the same for magic and pyromancies? I know it doesn't work like that for the weapons...

I honestly can't say since I can't say with 100% certainity but that's what they wiki said when I looked it up months ago before starting my run (that's been put on hold until the DLC comes to consoles) for platinum. I wouldn't be surprised if From did go that route.

I just had a weird occurrence. I'm in New Londo and was looking to get some help against the Four Kings. I summoned three different people, and all three of them used a crystal and immediately left. What am I missing here?

ArynCrinn

Banned
I just had a weird occurrence. I'm in New Londo and was looking to get some help against the Four Kings. I summoned three different people, and all three of them used a crystal and immediately left. What am I missing here?

Maybe they were trying the arrange a summon with somebody else?

ArynCrinn

Banned
One person, sure, I could see that. But three different summons in a row? Seemed really strange to me.

Does seem kind of weird. I've had people quit on me for no reason too in the past, probably because I was low level on a NG++, and they realized it when the enemies were harder.

But I play 99% of my time without summoning or invading, and the rare time I do lay down a sign it all goes to shit. I've had my sign down for helping people with Nito, on NG++ and beyond, and instead of waiting at the start for Nito to show up they rush forward and ruin everything...they die and it wastes my time.

Maybe they didn't like your outfit ;)

I had someone the other day going crazy over the Solaire summon in Anor Londo, I already had the 2 summons, me and the other were waiting at the O&S fog door for him to come up, so I black crystalled him out of there. I started to wonder "you can only have 2 summons right? I haven't been playing all this time thinking you can only have 2?!" XD

i-Lo

So the weird thing happened again. I have been finding Lloyd's Talisman in Crystal cave once in a while while farming for twinkling titanite. I know that the clams only drop that and purging stones. So where are these coming from?

I took pictures just in case:
Sa452.jpg

umeOz.jpg

& how it appears before you pick it up:

y4Mhc.jpg

Never seen that before, they're drops from the clams?

Unrelated: I'm just about to rap up NG+3 and was going to do the Taurus Demon, I got invaded and used the shortcut jump down to Undead Burg to troll, whilst down there I noticed Griggs was back down there in the room you let him out from, but there was no dialogue option. I killed him, but no drop. I'm 99% sure I did already kill him back at Firelink as I usually do after killing Logan in the Seath room. Either way, I certainly let him out already and bought his spells.

This is kind of like when I killed Rhea twice the other day, once in the chapel and once when she was agro'd at Firelink after killing Petrus, again second time no drop.

I want to make a new character for the DLC trying out new builds. I've settled on making a str/dex (36/24) and faith build. Basically focusing on swords and faith weapons . I wanted to see how quickly he can become very strong and damn by the time I'm at the gargoyles I have:
Astora sword
Dragon crest shield
Elite knight set
Havels ring
Blue tear stone

Complete power as the the Astora sword is 196 dmg so it is as strong as the drake sword. The dragon shield is comparable to the knight shield but weighs 2 pts less. Elite knight and Havels gives me fast roll and great defense.

Beckx

Never seen that before, they're drops from the clams?

Unrelated: I'm just about to rap up NG+3 and was going to do the Taurus Demon, I got invaded and used the shortcut jump down to Undead Burg to troll, whilst down there I noticed Griggs was back down there in the room you let him out from, but there was no dialogue option. I killed him, but no drop. I'm 99% sure I did already kill him back at Firelink as I usually do after killing Logan in the Seath room. Either way, I certainly let him out already and bought his spells.

This is kind of like when I killed Rhea twice the other day, once in the chapel and once when she was agro'd at Firelink after killing Petrus, again second time no drop.

When NPCs glitch out in my game, they get sent to yours. :D

Rescued Rhea the other day, and no matter how many areas I go to, she won't spawn back at Firelink, and
her gear isn't lying around either, so Petrus hasn't killed her
. I suppose I should go see if she blinked all the way to the Archives w/o stopping at Firelink.

Anteater

Well I think I got most of the items in new londo, exploring Demon Ruins now, I'm seeing this demon dude walking on lava from above, wut.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So the weird thing happened again. I have been finding Lloyd's Talisman in Crystal cave once in a while while farming for twinkling titanite. I know that the clams only drop that and purging stones. So where are these coming from?

I took pictures just in case:
It's all so blurry ._. are you using the Durante-mod?

edit: n/m, it looks like the picture is taken off-screen!

pringles

Holy fuck I finally beat 4 Kings in NG+ by the narrowest of margins. I actually died and thought I failed for the 20-somethingth time, but I had managed to take the last king out with me and got the cutscene of him dying before YOU DIED filled my screen as onehundredandsixtythousand souls were filling my soon to be bloodstain. Tears of joy.

Took some tweaking of my gear (Quelaag's firesword +5 was quite effective along with a Crest Shield with 80% Magic block) and after a LOOOOOOOOONG time finding a decent summon who helped a lot with the first 2 kings before dying. Thank you dear sir.

Oh how I've hated the game during this time. I've lost so much humanity (atleast 1 per attempt because of reversing hollowing so I can summon), countless souls and most of my mind. Nothing else in this game has come close to giving me this much trouble.

Does anybody know the drop rate for the Silver Knight Straight Sword? I'm trying to get the rare weapons achievement and I've spent a good deal of time killing Silver Knights and I got the Shield and Spear, but no Sword yet.

I want to make a new character for the DLC trying out new builds. I've settled on making a str/dex (36/24) and faith build. Basically focusing on swords and faith weapons . I wanted to see how quickly he can become very strong and damn by the time I'm at the gargoyles I have:
Astora sword
Dragon crest shield
Elite knight set
Havels ring
Blue tear stone

Complete power as the the Astora sword is 196 dmg so it is as strong as the drake sword. The dragon shield is comparable to the knight shield but weighs 2 pts less. Elite knight and Havels gives me fast roll and great defense.

That's similar to what I'm doing right now, but as forewarning I found the Astora Sword isn't terribly great once you get further into the game. It just doesn't scale efficiently. :( I switched to using Zweihander + Sunlight Blade miracle, but I'm upping my Dex because I'm going to try using Ornstein's Spear for shits and giggles. As much as I love the damage per swing of Zweihander, I want to try out some of the other weapons.

Holy fuck I finally beat 4 Kings in NG+ by the narrowest of margins. I actually died and thought I failed for the 20-somethingth time, but I had managed to take the last king out with me and got the cutscene of him dying before YOU DIED filled my screen as onehundredandsixtythousand souls were filling my soon to be bloodstain. Tears of joy.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to that fight in NG+. After my misadventures in summoning people, I ended up donning Havel's Set, casting Great Magic Barrier on myself, and running in close and just wailing on the Kings. It worked because I never fought more than one at a time, but I don't think that strategy is going to work in NG+.

Soulhouf

What was meant to happen happened. I was slaughtered by Four Kings.
With that setting, fighting the 4 of them at the same time is inevitable. I managed once to kill 2 of them but another 2 showed up which make a total of 6. It seems that they are always 4 when you can't beat them fast enough.
Anyway, I died like 20 times among which 5 time where I didn't even succeed to reach the boss.

At this point I don't see any way to succeed to beat them with these restrictions. I wonder if I kill the giant blacksmith and use his hammer I could make it?
Currently I used combustion and black fire bombs (I almost used 99 of them to take half of the boss's HP).

This is the 1st time in about the 20 runs where I hit a wall. Delicious.

Booshka

If any of you are on 360 and are around SL 125, I have an account that is beastly at beating NG+ and beyond bosses. The Gamertag is DJBIGBILL, so if you need help just send a PM to that account and I'll help if I'm online. My specialty is 4 Kings, I use Power Within, CMW, +15 Falchion with 40 Dex and just go to town. I know their attack patterns, so I can roll through most or block it with the Crest Shield. I use light armor that has very good magic defense so I can actually tank too by just standing close and swinging away.

Pro tip for Four Kings, after you have defeated a King and see it dissipating, keep attacking it for a few seconds for free damage to the main health bar. The King you killed won't show the damage taken, but if you pay attention to the main health bar you will see the damage being dealt. If you do this with every King, you can actually turn the fight into Three Kings, which I do frequently for people.

If any of you are on 360 and are around SL 125, I have an account that is beastly at beating NG+ and beyond bosses. The Gamertag is DJBIGBILL, so if you need help just send a PM to that account and I'll help if I'm online. My specialty is 4 Kings, I use Power Within, CMW, +15 Falchion with 40 Dex and just go to town. I know their attack patterns, so I can roll through most or block it with the Crest Shield. I use light armor that has very good magic defense so I can actually tank too by just standing close and swinging away.

Pro tip for Four Kings, after you have defeated a King and see it dissipating, keep attacking it for a few seconds for free damage to the main health bar. The King you killed won't show the damage taken, but if you pay attention to the main health bar you will see the damage being dealt. If you do this with every King, you can actually turn the fight into Three Kings, which I do frequently for people.

Also another tip is if you have someone tanking let them get grabbed. During the entire grab animation you cam damage the main life bar.

Good to know. I may need that help when I get around to NG+ for my miracles/rare weapons run.

Baconbitz

Banned
At the door where the first big Demon is it says "locked by some contraption". Acording to gamefaqs that means I need to restart. Is that true?

Booshka

At the door where the first big Demon is it says "locked by some contraption". Acording to gamefaqs that means I need to restart. Is that true?

Stop going to gamefaqs and just ask the thread. You're fine, you just need a quest item to unlock those areas.

Baconbitz

Banned
Stop going to gamefaqs and just ask the thread. You're fine, you just need a quest item to unlock those areas.
No, I don't need a quest item. I went through these doors a few nights ago. I had to quit and now I can get through the doors.
I believe it's the first bonfire if that helps. I'm freh outta ideas.

Soulhouf

That's ultra easy mode. But how do you do when you're SL1 and can't upgrade any weapon/armor?
You'll fight 7 or 8 of them that way, no choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom