• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. I've got a 125 build. PSN lionhart13.
Thanks for the offer, I went down to New Londo and summoned two phantoms pretty quick, one died before the fight started (not wearing the ring I guess, d'oh I've done that myself as a phantom!), but we did it and only had 4 Kings show up, on NG+ I had a fifth show up just before the health bar was gone.

Thanks any way :)

Soulhouf

I just beat S&O in my SL1 no upgrade run in my second try.

IMG_0313.jpg

I was using from the beginning the Reinforced Club and now I realize how amazing this weapon is when 2 handed. Even when it is not upgraded, the fact that the enemy staggers after 2 hits gives you a great advantage. An advantage that I used against this boss
Not to mention the bleeding effect.
I also used pyromancy (with dusk's crown) to deal some damage. It's not bad even with a pyro glove which is not upgraded (combustion does ~80 damage to Orstein)

I'm really surprised how well I was doing despite the strict restrictions (I don't even allow using upgraded weapons I found such as the occult club).

Feel good man.

The big challenge(4 Kings) is approaching. I never had any problem with that boss before but given that the key to victory is to have a weapon that deals good damage (which I don't permit), this can become a nightmare. We shall see.

i-Lo

I just beat S&O in my SL1 no upgrade run in my second try.

IMG_0313.jpg

I was using from the beginning the Reinforced Club and now I realize how amazing this weapon is when 2 handed. Even when it is not upgraded, the fact that the enemy staggers after 2 hits gives you a great advantage. An advantage that I used against this boss.
Not to mention the bleeding effect.

I'm really surprised how well I was doing despite the strict restrictions (I don't even allow using upgraded weapons I found such as the occult club).

Feel good man.

The big challenge(4 Kings) is approaching. I never had any problem with that boss before but given that the key to victory is to have a weapon that deals good damage (which I don't permit), this can become a nightmare. We shall see.

Should you want, I can help you out. What is your SL?

Thanks for the offer, I went down to New Londo and summoned two phantoms pretty quick, one died before the fight started (not wearing the ring I guess, d'oh I've done that myself as a phantom!), but we did it and only had 4 Kings show up, on NG+ I had a fifth show up just before the health bar was gone.

Thanks any way :)

Since you are already in NG+, can you kindly tell me what happens to items stored in BB and the ones that are on you when you finally make the transition?

i-Lo

SL1, no upgraded weapon/gear allowed.

0_____________________o'

Wow, people have trouble with the four kings even in three digits SL (I did). Sorry and good luck finding another who will fight alongside you at that level (not meant to be sarcasm).

EDIT: Also, are you playing NG+?

Soulhouf

0_____________________o'

Wow, people have trouble with the four kings even in three digits SL (I did). Sorry and good luck finding another who will fight alongside you at that level (not meant to be sarcasm).

EDIT: Also, are you playing NG+?

I already beat them in a previous SL1 run. It wasn't too hard since the chaos reinforced club did the trick. But this time, with a simple reinforced club, it will not be the same.

And no, I'm playing in NG. I don't think NG+ is possible with these restrictions. If I manage to beat the game, that will be one of my biggest achievements.

I already beat them in a previous SL1 run. It wasn't too hard since the chaos reinforced club did the trick. But this time, with a simple reinforced club, it will not be the same.

And no, I'm playing in NG. I don't think NG+ is possible with these restrictions. If I manage to beat the game, that will be one of my biggest achievements.

I don't know how you do it, man. That's absolutely amazing. Although I guess some of the pressure is released since it doesn't matter when or where you die since you aren't using your souls for anything. Still, though, it's a testament to the design of Dark Souls that a SL1 run is even possible. To all the people who say the game is unfair or cheap, yeah, no, all it takes is skill.

Soulhouf, that's amazing. How long did it take to beat S&O?

Since you are already in NG+, can you kindly tell me what happens to items stored in BB and the ones that are on you when you finally make the transition?
You keep all your gear, BB and magic - but lose keys (except master key if you had it as a starting gift) and items like repair, upgrade boxes, crest of Astoria, Lord Vessel etc. Oh and the lava ring - I think that is the only actual item you lose.

Soulhouf! Nice! But I see you upgraded your flask. Gotta restart your playthrough!
yeah your HP is so low it doesn't change a thing. Bien joué!

Yo Gotti

Banned
I've been back into this game pretty heavily since all the talk around the PC version, seeing it on the front page just makes me think about it and hop back in. A game hasn't had a hold on me like this in forever.

Right now, my 3 characters are all beastly strong, having just beaten Smough & Ornstein, one on NG+, and for some reason I get stuck at this point on every one of them. I'm just not mentally ready to conquer Demon Ruins and New Londo Ruins. I love both of those areas but I just know some of the toughest enemies in the game are down there, and that I'm going to die a TON of times.

So I get stuck in a constant loop of trying to find the perfect gear and setup for each character, stopping by Anor Londo to do coop/PVP, helping people beat bosses, etc.

Shit. This damn game.

Soulhouf

I don't know how you do it, man. That's absolutely amazing. Although I guess some of the pressure is released since it doesn't matter when or where you die since you aren't using your souls for anything. Still, though, it's a testament to the design of Dark Souls that a SL1 run is even possible. To all the people who say the game is unfair or cheap, yeah, no, all it takes is skill.

Actually I spend my souls to buy black fire bombs and other useful items. The key in this kind of playthrough against the regular enemies is the good use of items. That's what makes this run interesting, it made me use some items I don't use usually.

Soulhouf, that's amazing. How long did it take to beat S&O?

I didn't measure it but I would say more than 10 minutes. It took me for sure more time (and more tries) to beat Iron Golem, which is crazy.

Soulhouf! Nice! But I see you upgraded your flask. Gotta restart your playthrough!
yeah your HP is so low it doesn't change a thing. Bien joué!

Yeah the rule only applies to equipments.

Currently everything is going like I planned. The only question mark is 4K. If I keep failing miserably I think I have an idea that doesn't break my rules.
Kill the Giant Blacksmith and use his hammer. When 2 handed, it does more than 300 damage I believe.

I've been back into this game pretty heavily since all the talk around the PC version, seeing it on the front page just makes me think about it and hop back in. A game hasn't had a hold on me like this in forever.

Right now, my 3 characters are all beastly strong, having just beaten Smough & Ornstein, one on NG+, and for some reason I get stuck at this point on every one of them. I'm just not mentally ready to conquer Demon Ruins and New Londo Ruins. I love both of those areas but I just know some of the toughest enemies in the game are down there, and that I'm going to die a TON of times.

So I get stuck in a constant loop of trying to find the perfect gear and setup for each character, stopping by Anor Londo to do coop/PVP, helping people beat bosses, etc.

Shit. This damn game.

Yeah, that's basically where I am now. All I have left in terms of achievements is the all miracles/all rare weapons achievement, which I'm trying to do on my latest playthrough. But I'm having so much fun helping other people beat Smough & Ornstein that I don't want to level up my character past what he already is at, which means I don't want to head into any new areas, so I'm just chilling in Anor Londo helping people, at 125k souls and counting from numerous boss thrashings.

i-Lo

You keep all your gear, BB and magic - but lose keys (except master key if you had it as a starting gift) and items like repair, upgrade boxes, crest of Astoria, Lord Vessel etc. Oh and the lava ring - I think that is the only actual item you lose.

Ah, thank you. Now, I have yet to traverse the Kiln of the first flame. I have all the prerequisite soul shards to traverse it but I wanted to know if there is a bonfire there from which I can warp. I have heard that it's good place to farm coloured titanite chunks from black knights.

Also, if one fails to defeat the final boss (or commit suicide by boss if he/she traversed the fog gate by accident) then can the person carry on farming as aforementioned?

Ah, thank you. Now, I have yet to traverse the Kiln of the first flame. I have all the prerequisite soul shards to traverse it but I wanted to know if there is a bonfire there from which I can warp. I have heard that it's good place to farm coloured titanite chunks from black knights.

Also, if one fails to defeat the final boss (or commit suicide by boss if he/she traversed the fog gate by accident) then can the person carry on farming as aforementioned?

The altar serves as a warpable bonfire .

Also if you die in the boss room you are free to roam the world.

Lost Izalith is the first place in the game that has made me say "fuck it, I'm going home".
I entered a building in the middle of the lava field when I noticed one set of huge legs moving outside. That's when I noticed there were a shitload of these.

I homeward boned the hell out of there and warped back to Firelink. I'm going through the archives and I'm keeping Izalith for the end. These scary fucking legs.

In other news, I dropped 2 Balder Side Swords by killing 3 knights in the Parrish. That left me a bit salty, mostly because I had to farm the one I'm still using for something like 2 or 3 hours.

Anth0ny

Lost Izalith is the first place in the game that has made me say "fuck it, I'm going home".
I entered a building in the middle of the lava field when I noticed one set of huge legs moving outside. That's when I noticed there were a shitload of these.

I homeward boned the hell out of there and warped back to Firelink. I'm going through the archives and I'm keeping Izalith for the end. These scary fucking legs.

It took a while, but I ended up killing all those mother fuckers. They don't respawn.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you get up on the bridge you can basically take them out safely with bows and magic. They're pretty easy once you know how to run through the lava to get up high.

Wired

Need some weapon recommendations, just reached Anor Londo so what should I look to get once I reach the Giant Blacksmith here? Some sort of lightning weapon or some such? I've been gone so long from the game that I have no idea what I was planning to get before I took my long ass break :p

NBtoaster

Soo..there are still a couple of pieces in the art book that haven't featured in the game with the PTDE, notably the fat official on a boar and the faceless female gargoyle thing.

Chance for more DLC? ;)

i-Lo

By the way, what's difference between:

1. Magic weapon and Enchanted weapon?

2. Fire and chaos weapon? I know that the chaos fireball spells leave behind lava residue for additional damage, is it the similar when it comes to melee weapons?

By the way, what's difference between:

1. Magic weapon and Enchanted weapon?

2. Fire and chaos weapon? I know that the chaos fireball spells leave behind lava residue for additional damage, is it the similar when it comes to melee weapons?
1. Magic is higher base damage and decent int scaling. Enchanted is lower base damage and high int scaling.

2. Chaos fire scales with humanity you have in your counter.

edgefusion

Something odd happened last night and hopefully someone here can explain it:

I became human to get Solaires help for the gargoyle fight when I got invaded right before traversing the white light. The red phantom jumped on me and pinned me down for a good 5 seconds, doing only minor damage, then got back up before kneeling down doing some kind of magic. Attacking him was totally ineffective. Then all of a sudden he disappears. What gives? I've no idea what happened or what was so supposed to happen in that little encounter.

i-Lo

I became human to get Solaires help for the gargoyle fight when I got invaded right before traversing the white light. The red phantom jumped on me and pinned me down for a good 5 seconds, doing only minor damage, then got back up before kneeling down doing some kind of magic. Attacking him was totally ineffective. Then all of a sudden he disappears. What gives? I've no idea what happened or what was so supposed to happen in that little encounter.

I assume he used black separation crystal to get back to his own game world.

Something weird happened to me yesterday while farming twinkling titanite from man eater clams in the crystal cave. I have filled up Purging stone to the max (incl. bottomless box). Hence I can't pick it up. So they end up looking like little gold pouches (you know what I'm on about). Bizarrely enough, after coming back from bonfire to restart farming, I tried to pick up the same package but what I got was a Lloyd's Talisman.... wtf!?

pringles

Holy hell Darkroot is a bloodbath of PvP battles.
Just got here on my NG+ run and can't go 5 seconds without being invaded in the Forest Hunter area. I only wanted to go through this, not farm or anything, but have earned about 200k souls and a bunch of humanity from killing off invaders. I summoned a helper to fend off an invader and then when I thought the coast was clear I sent him home. But before I could even get back to the bonfire 2 phantoms invaded and killed me.

On my 1st playthrough I was almost never invaded here so this is surprising. Fun though.

Yo Gotti

Banned

Sounds like he Dark Hand gripped you, stole your humanity and left. lol.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

You got jacked for humanity, son.

purg3

slept with Malkin
started getting some new builds ready for the upcoming DLC. Based on the PC pvp soul level brackets, you think it would be best to focus on SL 100 builds?

Anteater

oh god I'm so lost in this duke's archive place

and I just killed this npc in a hat because i'm swinging my sword at a pile of books and I didn't see him, haha

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
apparently i'm pretty lucky to have gotten a titanite poll from the very first titanite demon, because now i'm 1-4 shotting everything in the game.

that capra demon everyone was warning me about went down like a chump.

Oops, you can get absolved for hitting Logan right? You'll want to go through his full 'quest' line if you want the good spells.

I'm just starting NG+++ Capra Demon down first because I still hate him. There was a stray summon sign down so I summoned, the player got 1-hit killed, I'm guessing they didn't expect it to be NG+++. On to the Depths. Don't think I will take this all the way to NG+4 but it's still so much fun, I'll just start a new character either way, can't stop playing and the DLC will only strengthen that :)

Anteater

Hope you weren't planning on using sorceries!

Probably not, I didn't really try some of them since I didn't know where all the spells are, maybe next game.

Well found my way to the crystal cave,
walking on air
like I usually do, wait wut.

Edit: and killed the boss, woo, time to explore

First time I've found messages actually being useful.

Phew, finally beat the game. It took me way too long but that's my OCD to explore and gather every possible treasure. I managed to get all sorceries and pyromancies on that playthrough. I'll try to get all the blessings on the next one but some of them look like a headache (ugh, souvenir of reprisal). This is a really amazing game.

I restarted the game and the beginning, where I remember suffering a lot, was a breeze. I got out of the asylum without using an estus and didn't die until I ran like a moron into the dragon fire.
Watching the intro again, I was wondering, what ever happened to
the pygmies
? Did I miss something in the game?

Edit: and killed the boss, woo, time to explore
I retried that bastard 15 times to cut his tail. Once I got his tail, I discovered he's pretty easy if you aren't going for the tail. Well, now at least I know how to run from the bonfire to the boss in something like 3 minutes.

What did I do screwy and out of order this time to make Lautrec not kill the Firekeeper but still disappear after I left Blighttown?

This is the order of what I'd done so far: Pinwheel > Capra Demon > Gaping Dragon > Queelag.

I used him for the Gaping Dragon, so I'd already let him out and spoke to him at Firelink. When I came back to Firelink after ringing the Blighttown bell, he had gone, but the Firekeeper was still there and I could speak to her. Huh. Just arrived at Anor Londo, so once I get the Lord Vessel, I will warp back and expect I can pick up the Blackeye Orb then.

Anteater

I retried that bastard 15 times to cut his tail. Once I got his tail, I discovered he's pretty easy if you aren't going for the tail. Well, now at least I know how to run from the bonfire to the boss in something like 3 minutes.

:( I didn't try cutting its tail. I read a message telling me "Try the tail" (something like that) before i break that crystal thing but I ended up just killing it and forgot all about that.

Just ordered a copy of this game along with a box of Depends, since I've heard that the rape I'll experience will leave me incontinent. Does it matter if I have Xbox Live or not? I know I'll miss out on being killed by others, but what else will I miss out?

Just ordered a copy of this game along with a box of Depends, since I've heard that the rape I'll experience will leave me incontinent. Does it matter if I have Xbox Live or not? I know I'll miss out on being killed by others, but what else will I miss out?
Co-op, invasions, invading - just the general fun and longevity of playing the game online.

It's still a fantastic single player game, but online adds so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom