• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some info on something a bit odd that happened earlier this afternoon. I was in the Forest using the Cat Covenant Ring, got dropped into someone's world. Every single one of my attacks barely damaged this guy (Divine Claymore +5, about 32 Faith). He was also able to somehow always get behind me. He would constantly backstab me without a weapon (assuming his fist?) but I was not receiving any damage.

Has anyone experienced this? It was a bit annoying since we danced around for about 10 minutes and I was backstabbed nearly the entire time. Seriously, this dude would roll to the left and would then just suddenly appear behind me in prime back stabbing position.

FtHTiny

No, I don't need a quest item. I went through these doors a few nights ago. I had to quit and now I can get through the doors.
I believe it's the first bonfire if that helps. I'm freh outta ideas.

You want to go down to havel i think? You need the master key to do that.

I can drop you tons of upgrade items too if you want, this character is on NG+++++++ so I have a ton of stuff I don't need.

I think I'm okay on upgrades. I even got the Channeler's Trident (twice!) I'm just having trouble farming the Silver Knight Straight Sword. Just need the souls for all the boss weapons, really, along with a Gwyn Soul for Sunlight Spear.

No, I don't need a quest item. I went through these doors a few nights ago. I had to quit and now I can get through the doors.
I believe it's the first bonfire if that helps. I'm freh outta ideas.

Are you talking about the first-first bonfire? If you're talking about the Asylum Demon, you can't go through until you've killed the demon. You have to go to the left and around, first. Unless you already killed it, then you should have the key to open it in your inventory already.

BearChair

Two questions:

I'm on my second play though (not NG+, just a new character), and I'm trying some new things. Is there a way to know how many humanity I've fed the chaos daughter. I want to open the shortcut to Izlith, and I know I need to give her 30 humanity, but I have no idea how many I've given her. I know that I have leveled up the covenant at least once, so I need less than 20, but is there way to conclusively find out if I need a specific number?

Second, my first character was a tank. Now I'm am playing and DEX/Attunement focused pyromancer. What light armor should I be looking for? Right now, I have the gold-hemmed hood on and the rest is the crimson set from Blighttown. I've got the crimson set to +3 or +4 and I just delivered the Lord Vessel. Should I be looking for a better light armor? I got to Duke's Archive last night, and it was definitely a lot harder than with my first build.

Two questions:

I'm on my second play though (not NG+, just a new character), and I'm trying some new things. Is there a way to know how many humanity I've fed the chaos daughter. I want to open the shortcut to Izlith, and I know I need to give her 30 humanity, but I have no idea how many I've given her. I know that I have leveled up the covenant at least once, so I need less than 20, but is there way to conclusively find out if I need a specific number?

No. not really. Humanity is kinda easy to farm anyway so just keep feeding her until you level up.

krakov

Two questions:

Second, my first character was a tank. Now I'm am playing and DEX/Attunement focused pyromancer. What light armor should I be looking for? Right now, I have the gold-hemmed hood on and the rest is the crimson set from Blighttown. I've got the crimson set to +3 or +4 and I just delivered the Lord Vessel. Should I be looking for a better light armor? I got to Duke's Archive last night, and it was definitely a lot harder than with my first build.

I think you can buy something called a servant roster from the egg dude and look at how many humanity you have given her, but I guess it only works if you have leaderboards on for that char and can take a while to update.

Most light armors are similar in stats. I would recommend using something that upgrades to +10 as it usually outclasses armor that can't be upgraded or is upgraded with twinkling titanite (+5 max). Might as well go for looks.

You could try to weave in some heavy armor pieces for poise though.

Baconbitz

Banned
You want to go down to havel i think? You need the master key to do that.

I think I'm okay on upgrades. I even got the Channeler's Trident (twice!) I'm just having trouble farming the Silver Knight Straight Sword. Just need the souls for all the boss weapons, really, along with a Gwyn Soul for Sunlight Spear.

Are you talking about the first-first bonfire? If you're talking about the Asylum Demon, you can't go through until you've killed the demon. You have to go to the left and around, first. Unless you already killed it, then you should have the key to open it in your inventory already.
I will try this when I get home tonight though I highly doubt it'll work.

Anteater

Reached Lost Izalith, this lava place looks really cool, but am I seeing giant dinosaurs on these lava?

and oh hai sunbro, just chilling out and maxing relaxing all cool

edit: ha found a bonfire from fighting a stupid dinosaur and got cornered on a wall, thought I was gonna die, I mean all according to plan.

BearChair

Reached Lost Izalith, this lava place looks really cool, but am I seeing giant dinosaurs on these lava?

and oh hai sunbro, just chilling out and maxing relaxing all cool

edit: ha found a bonfire from fighting a stupid dinosaur and got cornered on a wall, thought I was gonna die, I mean all according to plan.

A strong, upgraded longbow and arrows takes those guys out from a distance pretty easily. If you aggro several and hide with the bonfire, their attacks damage one another.

I think my most loathed boss is the centipede demon. You hear about people hating O&S, Bed of Chaos, Capra Demon etc - but never this shitbird.

I think the worst thing is once he gets close the lock on goes to complete shit. I just beat him on NG+4 and it was definately the toughest opponent I've faced yet. Luckily there was a summon sign at the bonfire, because Solaire goes down in seconds at this fight. Even with a co-op helper it was still a long fight.

I've never used a bow in this game ;_;
Oh my. I live for bows in DS. I'd use bows exclusively if I could!

I've never used a bow in this game ;_;
If you are a dex guy the Pharis bow is amazing. If faith the Darkmoon bow is nice. Stupid range.

On the other hand crossbows are useless. I wish FROM would make them manual aiming too. I would love to snipe for headshots with the crossbows in the game.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Bows are integral to the way I play the game.

-They help to weaken/eliminate enemies that attack from afar (fire and poison arrows are irreplacable)

-test those you've never faced before (how quick does it move, is that chest really a chest, etc.)

-are really helpful for pulling enemies away so you can fight them in smaller groups

Strategy is strength!

Just finished Siegmeyer's story line (on my second playthrough). That was pretty cool and the reward is nice.
I tried doing Solaire right this time and I somehow botched the last condition again. That last requirement is downright byzantine.
I got the sunlight maggot but Solaire is still in the shortcut, mumbling insane shit.

Finally got cursed for the first time ever. Seath on NG+4 - I had no respect for him, just plowing away two-handed, but got caught out and cursed/died.

Man this game is awesome. Bought it on release, but didn't play it for a good while.
stopped at the capra demon.:p

Now I have a Sl85 pyromancer, and a Sl47 warrior builds. Using a guide for the pyro, but would like a little help on the warrior(fun playing a different way then your use to).

Got the zweihander form the graveyard near firelink, upgraded to +5, and pretty much steamrolled all the bosses.
poor capra didn't stand a chance.:3

Close to Anor londo and wondering which path I should take my weapons. Should I just upgrade the zweihander to the max and not put any element on it? Also is upgrading your armor a good idea? Never tried it even in Demon's Souls. Would Orenstein's set be a good one?

Baconbitz

Banned
Ok, I knew I was right. There is nothing to the left. If you don't know where the first bonfire is it is the one after you climb up the latter. I still don't know what to do or where to go.

Edit: to be more specific I mean the "Northern dead asylum"

Edit: this is not the first bonfire. I was confused.

6for8

Ok, I knew I was right. There is nothing to the left. If you don't know where the first bonfire is it is the one after you climb up the latter. I still don't know what to do or where to go.

Edit: to be more specific I mean the "Northern dead asylum"

You climb the ladder head 'north' and rest at the bonfire. 'North' of the bonfire there is a large set of doors. Are these the doors you can't open? Have you beaten the boss on the other side? Maybe it's a glitch that I have never seen.

Normally you go through the doors, the boss drops down and a small door opens on the left and you run through it to find another bonfire.

Baconbitz

Banned
You climb the ladder head 'north' and rest at the bonfire. 'North' of the bonfire there is a large set of doors. Are these the doors you can't open? Have you beaten the boss on the other side? Maybe it's a glitch that I have never seen.

Normally you go through the doors, the boss drops down and a small door opens on the left and you run through it to find another bonfire.
Those are the doors I'm talking about. Sounds like I'm going to have to create a new character.

6for8

Those are the doors I'm talking about. Sounds like I'm going to have to create a new character.

There are user created bugs that cause the second set of large doors to remain locked but I have never heard of a problem with the first. Not sure how far you got before you quit but near the bonfire there is a small door to the right. If its open, or you can open it, you can continue with your character from there. Did you get the flask yet? Go into that room and see if there is something to be picked up. If that door is locked as well, create a new character and make sure you take the pendant as a gift. It's soooooo good.

Not serious. Take the master key.

Yeah, so I'm trying to get the ring of fog in the Darkroot Garden, and I'm getting destroyed. Players are just waiting with their summoned friends,(run into the same groups all the time). Easy way to get souls, I guess. :/

edit: Woo! Got it! Manage to get it after running into some solo players(shocking!) Time to fight that giant wolf.

Baconbitz

Banned
So, I had previously talked to the knight after the boulder made the hole in the wall. I didn't have the key. I had to kill him to get it again. Started a new game.

ArynCrinn

Banned
So, I had previously talked to the knight after the boulder made the hole in the wall. I didn't have the key. I had to kill him to get it again. Started a new game.

Sounds like it was just bugged, you're ALWAYS supposed to get the key by talking to him. Probably better you started a NG.

Anth0ny

Block and attack?

I'd probably be able to get by now, but when I first encountered them after about an hour of gameplay, I remember running into 3 rats and getting FUBAR'd. They got me stuck in an infinite, basically. And I was poisoned. Ouch.

Then I learned how to use a bow, and take them out one at a time. Problem solved :)

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'd probably be able to get by now, but when I first encountered them after about an hour of gameplay, I remember running into 3 rats and getting FUBAR'd. They got me stuck in an infinite, basically. And I was poisoned. Ouch.

Then I learned how to use a bow, and take them out one at a time. Problem solved :)

Also rolling to the side as they attack and two-handing them works well.

Anteater

There is no way you can get passed those giant poisonous rats near the beginning of the game without the bow.

I refuse to believe!

The ones under the bridge? I just avoid their attacks and kill them 1 by 1, if not I try to block them (which still poison me a bit if I remember correctly but they wear off quicker it seems), I just spam my heal until the poison wears off because I didn't have any of those moss on me back then, lol.

bows are for lamers

just run through that shit, there aren't enough zombie hindquarters to catch you

Yea I didn't bother with them, I just killed 2 because I walked by them and just moved on after finding the bonfire.

Man this game is awesome. Bought it on release, but didn't play it for a good while.
stopped at the capra demon.:p

Now I have a Sl85 pyromancer, and a Sl47 warrior builds. Using a guide for the pyro, but would like a little help on the warrior(fun playing a different way then your use to).

Got the zweihander form the graveyard near firelink, upgraded to +5, and pretty much steamrolled all the bosses.
poor capra didn't stand a chance.:3

Close to Anor londo and wondering which path I should take my weapons. Should I just upgrade the zweihander to the max and not put any element on it? Also is upgrading your armor a good idea? Never tried it even in Demon's Souls. Would Orenstein's set be a good one?
Upgrade your armour for sure.

People tend to say that elemental weapons are better earlier and fully upgraded 15+ weapons are better later in the game. I wouldn't disagree, although usually people will say that because they're buffing weapons, which is great if you are faith or int build and have those buffs - if not you're using resins, and personally I find having to buff just gets me backstabbed! The choice is yours, some weapons you can't buff, so if you take a fancy to one of those, the decision is made for you, and the upgrading is usually easier too (black knight weapons use twinking titanite iirc, which is the easiest thing to come by - when fully upgrading a weapon - imo).

i-Lo

How many of you guys are using Ring of Favour? Because it breaks when you remove it I'm contemplating whether to use it at all.

How many of you guys are using Ring of Favour? Because it breaks when you remove it I'm contemplating whether to use it at all.

It's damn good. But make sure you don't ever remove it. Character planner comes in handy here. Not sure how useful it will be after the patch, though.

With my sorcerer run-through I killed Lautrec as soon as he was in Firelink and used it for most of the early game. Late game I found two other rings better suited my overall build and losing the stat boost wasn't a big deal at that point so I just broke it. The way I see it is if you need a new one for NG+ he'll be there and you can pick it up again.

EDIT: Also there aren't that many terribly great rings in the first half of the game so until you've got your character all planned out and closer to the final build it doesn't hurt to wear it for the early stat boost.

Fuck 4 Kings on NG+4 is brutal and nasty. I had problems with them on NG+2, breezed NG+3 because I had 2 magic users, but I had no magic users for NG+4 and I got slaughtered.

First helper went down so fast, me and the second helper lasted till about half the lifebar was down, but once 4 of the fuckers are active it's basically a lost cause! Seriously 4 of them, 3 on my phantom helper, then they went down, then all 4 came at me - no chance, lol!

Upgrade your armour for sure.

People tend to say that elemental weapons are better earlier and fully upgraded 15+ weapons are better later in the game. I wouldn't disagree, although usually people will say that because they're buffing weapons, which is great if you are faith or int build and have those buffs - if not you're using resins, and personally I find having to buff just gets me backstabbed! The choice is yours, some weapons you can't buff, so if you take a fancy to one of those, the decision is made for you, and the upgrading is usually easier too (black knight weapons use twinking titanite iirc, which is the easiest thing to come by - when fully upgrading a weapon - imo).

Thanks. Hmm... Already have my Zweihander at +10, and it's pretty beastly. Been killing enemies in 2-3 shots. Might upgrade to lighting. Yeah I'm just using magic as support, a few miracles, and maybe some pyromancy, later on. I can get twinking titanite, from those clam things near the hydra right?

Just got past the , Anor Londo archers. Only took five tries this time! Took at least twenty last time...

Dreading going up against Ornstein & Smough with this build. Hopefully I can summon some help without getting invaded. :/

Edit: YES! Ornstein and Smough defeated! Had to do the fight solo last time with Sol, and kept getting invaded. That took FOREVER! Much easier with help. :3

Duo014

Hi guys, just read through this thread reminding me that I'm still not very= good. NG+
So I want some advice. I have a sorcerer build.

He is SL 124

vit30
att30
end8
str16
dex14
res8
int72
faith25

I have a magic rapier+10.. and the dragon crest shield +logan's catalyst + velkas talisman.

what would be the best armor for me and weapons? I'm wearing everything from the moonlight thingie. but I want to exceed, I am seeing allso people who keep theire pawns at level 125, why?

Hi guys, just read through this thread reminding me that I'm still not very= good. NG+

He is SL 124

vit30
att30
end8
str16
dex14
res8
int72
faith25

I have a magic rapier+10.. and the dragon crest shield +logan's catalyst + velkas talisman.

what would be the best armor for me and weapons? I'm wearing everything from the moonlight thingie. but I want to exceed, I am seeing allso people who keep theire pawns at level 125, why?

Get a Silver Knight Straight Sword and Richards Rapier. Use crystal magic weapon on them, that damage buff will be more than the smithed weapon.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Welp. Just put my red soapstone down at level 90 in
the Kiln
for some jolly PvP and I find myself faced with a host and his buddy. I turn to look at each of them, and the host backs off to let me fight the phantom.

Things are going well when a Darkwraith invades. I am cautiously optimistic of his presence, thinking if I fail he will simply be the next to fight, and continue duking it out. I wind up the pitch for a Chaos Fireball and BAM, backstabbed by the invader.

I watch on the 'YOU DIED' screen as the white phantom bows to me, and the host (who has also wandered into the shot) gets backstabbed as well.

Sometimes this game is really confusing...

Holy crap at the Claymore. Why didn't I start using this weapon earlier!? Might not hit as hard as the Zweihander, but with my endurance I can swing faster and more often. Upgrading this with lighting as back up.

NBtoaster

He is SL 124

vit30
att30
end8
str16
dex14
res8
int72
faith25

I use a Moonlight Greatsword (from Seath's tail), I find it to be better than any +10 magic or enchanted magic weapon.

People don't go much above 120 because then there are far fewer players in the level range, and those that don't are very overpowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom