• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp. Just put my red soapstone down at level 90 in
the Kiln
for some jolly PvP and I find myself faced with a host and his buddy. I turn to look at each of them, and the host backs off to let me fight the phantom.

Things are going well when a Darkwraith invades. I am cautiously optimistic of his presence, thinking if I fail he will simply be the next to fight, and continue duking it out. I wind up the pitch for a Chaos Fireball and BAM, backstabbed by the invader.

I watch on the 'YOU DIED' screen as the white phantom bows to me, and the host (who has also wandered into the shot) gets backstabbed as well.

Sometimes this game is really confusing...
Forest invasions are just as fun lol.

I'm a forest bro and invade a dude and his summon. I wait to attack being outnumbered and a red invader spawns he looks at them and looks at me. I think "cool 2v2." So we face off and the red invader goes in and I. We both makes some swipes in the melee and suddenly the backstab animation starts and the red bro has backstabbed me in the fight.

Rogosh

I use a Moonlight Greatsword (from Seath's tail), I find it to be better than any +10 magic or enchanted magic weapon.

People don't go much above 120 because then there are far fewer players in the level range, and those that don't are very overpowered.

I'm not quite sure how true that will be in the future. With the arena coming out this fall I think anyone who had originally stopped at 120-125 will use the souls they've earned from pvp to level up to be higher level in the 101-200 arena bracket.

Anecdotal evidence that proves absolutely nothing but felt awesome; My level 53 character received ~375,000 souls by invading a player just outside the forest and it felt like i won the lottery.

Soulhouf

Fuck 4 Kings on NG+4 is brutal and nasty. I had problems with them on NG+2, breezed NG+3 because I had 2 magic users, but I had no magic users for NG+4 and I got slaughtered.

First helper went down so fast, me and the second helper lasted till about half the lifebar was down, but once 4 of the fuckers are active it's basically a lost cause! Seriously 4 of them, 3 on my phantom helper, then they went down, then all 4 came at me - no chance, lol!

I'm currently constantly fighting the 4 of them at the same time because the best weapon I have is a Dark Hand lol

I need to find a better strategy other than tank tank tank heal...

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'm currently constantly fighting the 4 of them at the same time because the best weapon I have is a Dark Hand lol

I need to find a better strategy other than tank tank tank heal...

I'll be going into my NG+++ against the Four Kings (on PC) so if I find any new strats I'll let you know. A couple of the DLC items and buffs might be useful, haven't tried yet though. Two-handing with high poise and Fire Halberd +10/Power Within usually does it for me. :p

Maybe pyro is the way to go? Power Within/Iron Flesh - I have a stock of them from each playthrough but never use them. This characters isn't a magic user, I think my INT is only at 15.

Wish there was a way of ensuring you summon high magic users. I'll have to keep a look out for those Dusk crown wearers!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Forest invasions are just as fun lol.

I'm a forest bro and invade a dude and his summon. I wait to attack being outnumbered and a red invader spawns he looks at them and looks at me. I think "cool 2v2." So we face off and the red invader goes in and I. We both makes some swipes in the melee and suddenly the backstab animation starts and the red bro has backstabbed me in the fight.
Damn, haha. I guess it's pretty common. I imagine that scenario would then go on, where they act out an elaborate display as the next person invades - making them think it's a typical fight... Then you know someone is gonna get backstabbed...

Silly red bros. Can't we all just get along?

NG+++++ (5) get!

Finally managed the 4 Kings, had two melee helpers who seemed to know what they were doing, I was just chilling back healing and firing off the avelyn. Did the same with Gwyn after dying 5 times to him trying to parry - which I SUCK at.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So after like 25 + PvP characters, most of which being DEX based and a few being STR or INT, I decided to make some nonsense build revolving around a Greatshield of Artorias + fast roll.

Let me say after never using a greatshield before, you feel invincible in PvE. Was pretty hyped that the GoA blocks poison + toxin AND bleed.

Then I found out that it blocks none of those in PvP (╯︵╰,)

Build trashed, back to other joke builds.

Soulhouf

Maybe pyro is the way to go? Power Within/Iron Flesh - I have a stock of them from each playthrough but never use them. This characters isn't a magic user, I think my INT is only at 15.

Wish there was a way of ensuring you summon high magic users. I'll have to keep a look out for those Dusk crown wearers!
Yes, pyro is very important but with unupgraded pyro flame you won't do much damage and the 16 combustion i have isn't enough to kill even the 1st king...

Hi guys, just read through this thread reminding me that I'm still not very= good. NG+
So I want some advice. I have a sorcerer build.

He is SL 124

vit30
att30
end8
str16
dex14
res8
int72
faith25

I have a magic rapier+10.. and the dragon crest shield +logan's catalyst + velkas talisman.

what would be the best armor for me and weapons? I'm wearing everything from the moonlight thingie. but I want to exceed, I am seeing allso people who keep theire pawns at level 125, why?

My, another fellow sorcerer, I tough i was the only "pure" sorcerer around here.

Im lvl 91, I use Crown of Dusk for magic buffs, then I used several sets like Shadow Set for run, Gold-Hemmed Black Set for poison/toxic and for defense I used the Beatice Set (magi defense) and Inward set. Xanthous Set is quite good to.

After finishing the game for a second time, I figured I'd mix things up a little for my NG+ and go directly to Blighttown after reaching Firelink Shrine. I ended up ringing that bell but the whole ordeal was pretty brutal.

For my first PC playthrough, I'm considering using a pure INT/sorcerer. Is that a viable build? Would it hold in NG+ and beyond? My memory of messing around with sorceries on my first playthrough is that it got really good after freeing Logan and starting to buy the homing stuff. How would that work before Sen? Soul arrows and hope for the best?

Leezard

I'm thinking of picking this up for 360, should I just wait for the Prepare to Die edition?

You should be able to pick up the regular (or even limited edition) of the game for cheap by now. I can't imagine the cheap game + dlc being more expensive than buying the rerelease, unless they launch it at half price or so.

The new content is going to be released as dlc, right?

I've made my way out of Blighttown today. Was such a momentous occasion for me. After months of searching every nook and cranny, dying, dying, finally finding a new bonfire behind an illusory wall, being unsure where to go/which exit to take, getting cursed in the great hollow, falling to my death several times in the hollow and at the water wheel, and making mistakes that equaled death once I made it to the 3 poison brutes up top and after many month long breaks between sessions... I have finally found my way to fresh air. Discovering a sleeping dragon was neat but I'm not falling for it just yet. I got myself killed by some ghosts though. I love this game and my blind knowledge of what the hell is going on.

Grief.exe

Hey guys. PC player, and first time Dark Souls player.

The DLC is amazing, totally worth it. Just beat the whole thing today and I'm on the optional boss
Kalameet the black dragon
. I got him down to about 10% and will finish him off later tonight.

Praise the sun! Having found out that New Londo Ruins isn't where I wanted to be, I trekked from firelink, through NLR without being cursed to retieve my souls with 15 or so ghosts on my trail, turned back and made my way through Blighttown from the top , through the swamp to the bonfire in the great hollow, back across the swamp, fought off the boulder guys, through the spider cave and defeated Quelaag in one go. Phew. My heart is pounding and this feeling I have when playing this game will be hard to match.

Anyway, please tell me there's a bonfire nearby. I don't want to deal with the swamp anymore. I was relieved when I was finally out of there yesterday and going back wasn't exactly a pleasant thought haha.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can not time parries at all. Started a fight with the hollow dude at Firelink Shrine, proceeded to get my SL6 Warrior ass kicked because I could parry once or twice and get him for 99 damage with a longsword only to get stabbed for all my health. :(

i-Lo

Does anyone here use Occult weapons at all? Also what's your favourite genre of elemental weapon if you use any at all?

Does anyone here use Occult weapons at all? Also what's your favourite genre of elemental weapon if you use any at all?

Lightning Weapons are overpowered beyond imagination. I don't think there are any enemies that had lightning resistance anyway.

Anyway, please tell me there's a bonfire nearby. I don't want to deal with the swamp anymore. I was relieved when I was finally out of there yesterday and going back wasn't exactly a pleasant thought haha.
You did see the bonfire in the sewer tunnel area didn't you?

Any way, there are a couple of bonfires, if you look around, just after defeating Queelag.

Mxrz

I've been watching a lot of new player streams, and I'm convinced the game is too easy. Everyone is able to simply back off and heal mid fight by standing behind stuff. When the flask is low, they'll just hit a bonfire. Most of the issues seem to be figuring out where to go in the Burg. It takes all the fun and rage out of watching blind-plays.

You did see the bonfire in the sewer tunnel area didn't you?

Any way, there are a couple of bonfires, if you look around, just after defeating Queelag.
Sewer tunnel area? I didn't get a chance to explore after defeating the boss. I walked up some stairs and quit the game to catch a breather and then posted here haha.

Edit: found it. Thanks. That one and 2 more in Queelag's domain.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey folks,

seeing as this is the official thread and all, I wanted to share a Dark Souls tribute I made with fellow fans on here. Nothing special - just bits of cutscenes and trailer footage cut together as lovingly as possible. Hope you like =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ38k3LdCuM

By the way, headed down to
Demon Ruins
with my latest faith build today, and for the first time really looked at that place. Peering down to the lower levels of
Lost Izalith
is really quite cool. And one thing I definitely didn't notice before is that you can see
Centipede Demon all crusted up and clinging to the wall
across from the second bonfire. This must be my 10th playthrough or so, and I'm still spotting things like this... incredible.

zewone

reports are coming in anywhere from 2-10 hours...lol

I think the 2 hour guy rushed through though with a high SL cannon...8-10 hours is the developers idea including every last thing you could possibly do so maybe a little over -assessed, most say 4-5 hours....But depends on hom many times you attempt bosses and wheter you bring a decked out character or a developing one.

I have spent over a 1000 hours playign souls games over 3.5 years doing different things etc. so how long it takes me to do things is largely irrelevant....but I noticed no-one else anwered your question!! ;)
I appreciate that. Thank you!

i-Lo

Where does Quelana leave to after she gives you the Fire tempest spell for fulfilling her request? Since she's the only one who can ascend pyromancy flame (needed to trade it with Snuggly for red titanite slab).

2AdEPT

Where does Quelana leave to after she gives you the Fire tempest spell for fulfilling her request? Since she's the only one who can ascend pyromancy flame (needed to trade it with Snuggly for red titanite slab).

Bad news...once she disappears she is gone for good.

Good news, she is not the only pyro ascender. If Laurentius from the great swamp is hollow and you killed him, then Einygi at the daughter of chaos covenant location is the man to speak to. He never goes away unless you killed him?!?!?!?!

@ B-Genius - nice clip...I liked the music and your choice of scenes as it played out.

And one thing I definitely didn't notice before is that you can see
across from the second bonfire. This must be my 10th playthrough or so, and I'm still spotting things like this... incredible.
Never noticed that either and I was just there last night.

On NG+5 and I tried him once and died even with a summon and Solaire, then just couldn't be bothered so I just went back to the spider girl and popped 30 humanity in the covenant for the shortcut so I could do Bed Of Chaos. I just hate that stupid Centipede Demon the camera always goes completely screwy when he comes close - whether you stay at the door or go round the corner to the larger area.

Soulhouf

Hey folks,

seeing as this is the official thread and all, I wanted to share a Dark Souls tribute I made with fellow fans on here. Nothing special - just bits of cutscenes and trailer footage cut together as lovingly as possible. Hope you like =)

Demon Ruins
with my latest faith build today, and for the first time really looked at that place. Peering down to the lower levels of
Lost Izalith
is really quite cool. And one thing I definitely didn't notice before is that you can see

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

As for your spoiler, I noticed it only lately as well and that blew my mind.

Lightning Weapons are overpowered beyond imagination. I don't think there are any enemies that had lightning resistance anyway.

Black Knights, Dark Wraiths and the Giants in Anor Londo are a few examples of enemies who are resistant to lightning.

I prefer the chaos path, the most powerful over all except for Demon Ruins & Lost Izalith.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Occult weapons are strongest against other players and human enemies in general.

I prefer straightforward reinforcement myself, +15 beats all.

aasoncott

I bought Dark Souls the week and came out and I'm still on my first playthrough. I've put in ~60 hours. I've been pouring in a bunch of time again and just had the most epic invasion I've ever experienced. I mostly rely on my pyro, and was almost out of everything when I was invaded. He kept his distance, trying to snipe me to death. When I finally closed, there were a series of epic spars -- one of us almost defeating the other, then the other would manage to take off running, gaining just enough distance to heal. Finally, I was totally out of pyro and completely out of flasks. I happened upon a summon sign and brought someone else into the fight... who didn't survive more than a minute or two. He finally took me out in the end, but damn, we'd probably been fighting for ten minutes.

I love this game.

So, are the Darkwraiths in the New Londo ruins, the only way to get more titanite slabs? They drop titanite chunks like candy, and I have about six dark hands now. Just how rare are these things!? XD

Still experimenting with my knight character (str/dex/faith) and I tried the crossbow for shits. Normally I find it useless because of the lack of manual airm, but on this charchter it is a great fit.

Instead of using it like a bow I'm using it as a ranged compliment to my sword. Having it to chip away an advancing mob or to take a quick shot in a stand-off followed by switching to my sword and following with a kick is a great combo. Also the time of dropping your guard, firing a bolt, and back to blocking is ideal for medium range or while in a fight without committing to a strike. Luke Balder knights who set for a riposte I can fire a bolt and stop their parry.

Hey folks,

Nice!

Demon Ruins
Lost Izalith

Hah, just yesterday I was doing some PvP in Undead Burg and for the first time I noticed that you can see Firelink Shrine from just outside the first bonfire. Amaze.

Making my way through Sen's fortress. Question: how did the boulder mechanism change by itself? Fucking died because of a boulder that surprised me since I had already rerouted it. Also, goddamn at all them headless thingers. That sludge sure doesn't make it easy.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Making my way through Sen's fortress. Question: how did the boulder mechanism change by itself? Fucking died because of a boulder that surprised me since I had already rerouted it. Also, goddamn at all them headless thingers. That sludge sure doesn't make it easy.
Do you have the Rusted Iron Ring from
returning to the Undead Asylum
?
That will help keep your footing in the sludge (and water).

As for the ball mechanism, I'm not 100% positive but if it wasn't an invader then I think it simply resets itself sometimes (maybe it's the snakemen or giants)...

Thanks for the kind words on the vid guys!

^ The boulder mechanism resets by itself depending where you are in Sen's - If you want to put it in the game, the dude dropping the balls could also reach down and spin it I guess! ;)

This might be a dumb question, but is summoning tied not only to soul level, but also NG+? (I think I know the answer is 'no').

On NG+++++(5) I've had a tough time summoning anyone for bosses, especially ones like 4 Kings. I haven't levelled up since NG+, still at SL125. Up to this point I haven't noticed much difference, but NG+5 has been a struggle to summon anyone.

Edit: Now I'm thinking I couldn't summon because I hadn't drained New Londo? I thought I'd already done it, but ran down to get the ember and just stopped short of the water, after I drained it - Summon signs were pretty frequent - coincidence or not?

So, are the Darkwraiths in the New Londo ruins, the only way to get more titanite slabs? They drop titanite chunks like candy, and I have about six dark hands now. Just how rare are these things!? XD

The shiny bug things in The Great Hollow drop them randomly with quite a good droprate IIRC.

Edit: Now I'm thinking I couldn't summon because I hadn't drained New Londo? I thought I'd already done it, but ran down to get the ember and just stopped short of the water, after I drained it - Summon signs were pretty frequent - coincidence or not?

yeah, can't summon until you drain. i made that mistake too lol.

i-Lo

^ The boulder mechanism resets by itself depending where you are in Sen's - If you want to put it in the game, the dude dropping the balls could also reach down and spin it I guess! ;)

This might be a dumb question, but is summoning tied not only to soul level, but also NG+? (I think I know the answer is 'no').

On NG+++++(5) I've had a tough time summoning anyone for bosses, especially ones like 4 Kings. I haven't levelled up since NG+, still at SL125. Up to this point I haven't noticed much difference, but NG+5 has been a struggle to summon anyone.

Yea, it had to do with the drainage. Also, summoning is primarily tied to soul level. I am on my first playthrough last night I got summoned to a NG+ + final boss battle.

aasoncott

Question about a late-game boss:
Can I cheese the Bed of Chaos by casting Iron Flesh and just trudging from one root to the other? Would that prevent him my knocking me off? I just figured I'd ask before I waste time trying it myself.

Astra

Question about a late-game boss:
Can I cheese the Bed of Chaos by casting Iron Flesh and just trudging from one root to the other? Would that prevent him my knocking me off? I just figured I'd ask before I waste time trying it myself.

You'd probably end up getting killed. Being so slow, and unable to dodge, you'd take a lot of hits. This boss can be a pain in the ass, as one false move is death. However, it's actually pretty easy once you learn its attack patterns, and just hide behind the trees alongside the boss. You cannot be hit here, so you can take your time watching the boss' attacks, and timing your movements.
It may take a few tries though, since you might not know when the floor will crumble, so you'll fall there, or dodge in time, only to be smacked by the boss.
I feel this boss is very cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom