• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
The easiest way to do Bed Of Chaos if you're worried about your souls/humanity is to homebone out after each hit, since it doesn't reset.

So slash one branch, homebone, run back next branch, homebone, drop down the the middle, slash little bug, profit???

Also, I'm NG+6 now thanks to two awesome Japanese players who basically tanked Gwyn for me whilst I healed and Avelyn'ed. Is this the last NG+ that damage scales? I admit I'm reaching burnout, and a few weeks off till the DLC drops would be best I think!

Astra

The easiest way to do Bed Of Chaos if you're worried about your souls/humanity is to homebone out after each hit, since it doesn't reset.

So slash one branch, homebone, run back next branch, homebone, drop down the the middle, slash little bug, profit???

Also, I'm NG+6 now thanks to two awesome Japanese players who basically tanked Gwyn for me whilst I healed and Avelyn'ed. Is this the last NG+ that damage scales? I admit I'm reaching burnout, and a few weeks off till the DLC drops would be best I think!

I think NG+7 is where it finally stops increasing. I couldn't make it that high, as I always end up wanting to create a new character and try out different builds. The most I managed was NG+3.

Cat Party

I would love love love some help. I took a long break with this game after ringing the second bell, but I got back in a week ago. Just made it to Anor Londo last night. I'm level 50, with 30 strength. I've been using the Black Knight Sword for a long time, as it is getting the job done (using Havel's ring so I can still evade). Is there another weapon I should be using/looking for with a strength focused build at this point? What's something good to use if I want somewhat quicker attacks?

Astra

I would love love love some help. I took a long break with this game after ringing the second bell, but I got back in a week ago. Just made it to Anor Londo last night. I'm level 50, with 30 strength. I've been using the Black Knight Sword for a long time, as it is getting the job done (using Havel's ring so I can still evade). Is there another weapon I should be using/looking for with a strength focused build at this point? What's something good to use if I want somewhat quicker attacks?

My favorite for my strength build was the Lightning Zweihander. I also liked using the Manserpent Greatsword. Zweihander is an Ultra Greatsword, so is a little slow, but does massive damage, and is great for stunning the enemy.

The Man-Serpent Greatsword scales the best with strength, I believe. Someone can correct me on that if I am wrong.

Dresden

Black Knight Greataxe, but there's only one chance to acquire it before the end of the game. That said someone might be able to hook you up, since it's a pretty common weapon after that point.

The Black Knight Sword is decent but you really want to move on to a better weapon. Demon's Great Machete is another great choice.

My favorite for my strength build was the Lightning Zweihander. I also liked using the Manserpent Greatsword. Zweihander is an Ultra Greatsword, so is a little slow, but does massive damage, and is great for stunning the enemy.

The Man-Serpent Greatsword scales the best with strength, I believe. Someone can correct me on that if I am wrong.
Using a Lightning weapon defeats the purpose of using a strength build, as it doesn't scale with strength--or any stat--at all.

MSG scales pretty well.

Astra

Black Knight Greataxe, but there's only one chance to acquire it before the end of the game. That said someone might be able to hook you up, since it's a pretty common weapon after that point.

The Black Knight Sword is decent but you really want to move on to a better weapon. Demon's Great Machete is another great choice.

Using a Lightning weapon defeats the purpose of using a strength build, as it doesn't scale with strength--or any stat--at all.

MSG scales pretty well.

True, but it did the best damage for me earlier on in the game. Until I got the Black Knight Great Sword and the Axe. I switched between those quite a bit.

I could hook Cat up with an Axe or a Sword. I have a character around level 50, I believe.

Actually, just quit/re-load game and you will appear outside of the boss gate, saves the run back from the bonfire.

- Do right branch
- quit game
- Do left branch (found it easier to navigate to the left branch than the right once the floor starts to drop), think you can also hit it with arrows if your so inclined
- quit game
- Deal with the middle

Cat Party

True, but it did the best damage for me earlier on in the game. Until I got the Black Knight Great Sword and the Axe. I switched between those quite a bit.

I could hook Cat up with an Axe or a Sword. I have a character around level 50, I believe.

Oh, I wouldn't want you to do that, even if possible (I'm on 360). If I don't finish this game by Monday, it will take another long break thanks to Borderlands 2.

Wowbagger

I have two characters in NG+7 and am pretty sure it's not any harder than NG+6. You don't get more souls from enemies in NG+7, at least.

Actually, just quit/re-load game and you will appear outside of the boss gate, saves the run back from the bonfire.

- Do right branch
- quit game
- Do left branch (found it easier to navigate to the left branch than the right once the floor starts to drop), think you can also hit it with arrows if your so inclined
- quit game
- Deal with the middle

Well that's pretty nifty! I have never had problems with Bed Of Chaos though, I just run around wtih 25% equip load and I very seldom die in it.

The easiest way is to actually quit and reload :)

Edit: Oh I see I was beaten like Rihanna.

Fox1304

Finally got back in the game, feels so good.
Currently trying to take care of Nito, already did Bed Of Chaos and Seath.
The area before Nito is hard as fuck, I can't manage to go through alone as a Pyro. Having to light up the area means I don't have my shield up, and I'm nearly one shotted by everyone. Currently rocking a maxed out pyro glove and a lightning spear + 3, with an hybrid silver knight / seath servants set.
No humanity left to seek help too.
But that game is so satisfying ...

Fox1304

Finally managed to get to the second bonfire, summoned a sunbro, and defeated the boss.
Who's next then ? Four kings right ? No idea where to find them, got to look.

Whoah, got Gravelorded in the Dukes Archives for the first time. I slid down the ladder in the garden and turned the corner to see a BP golem next to the regular blue one, took me by total surprise! :O

Had some fun tonight helping others out with Seath. I co-op'ed with a host who seemed completely unfamiliar with Dukes/Crystal Caves - Didn't know about the moving bookcase and was super cautious on the chests and invisible walkways - I was at SL125 so I always think anyone summoning me knows the game inside out, I guess they were super overlevelled?

We hit up Seath, but just as I dealt the final blow the host died (cursed maybe too?) It was kind of heartbreaking! What happens did it count or would he fight Seath again?!

For myself, hitting a brickwall on NG+6. 4 Kings is a nightmare, sorcerers are a must for summons. I had one helper not even make it to the Abyss, they got one-shotted by a Darkwraith. Ceaseless Discharge one-shotted me too @ SL125, with VIT at 48 and wearing mask of Mother, I'm kinda fucked I think because I can never, ever dodge his attacks, although I can now do the easy kill method - it's just getting him to the fog gate without him out-shotting me!

Edit: Black Iron Set + Mother Mask + Flash Sweat + Cheap method = Ceasless Discharge dead. Now to pump 30 humanity into Daughter Of Chaos just so I can skip the Centipede Demon!

Thanks Soulhouf, I had quick a session this morning and did it, Japanese players are great for 4 Kings, lots of spellcasters.

Just Gwyn to do, but I think I'm going to leave him since I want to keep this character for PvP in the Kiln, and don't want to go through NG+7 to do that. Really pleased I got to the very end of NG+6 though, it's been great fun. Going to try some crazy/weird builds now I think using odd armour and weapon combos.

george_us

Forgot how colossal this game is. I've put in 65 hours into it, still on my first play through, and I still have to collect the four
Lord Souls

Truly an epic game.

Trying not to spoil the DLC for myself, but I'm not watching but listening to ENB's current playthrough and the wait for it to hit consoles is killing me :(

If my PC was up to it, I would've got the PC version day 1.

Soulhouf

Trying not to spoil the DLC for myself, but I'm not watching but listening to ENB's current playthrough and the wait for it to hit consoles is killing me :(

If my PC was up to it, I would've got the PC version day 1.

Reading all the talk about mods & cheats in the OT made me sick. Now I'm happy I didn't buy the PC version. The release date isn't that far and we can hope they will add some balance into the console version by then.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Reading all the talk about mods in the OT made me sick.
Huh? The only GAF efforts in the OT towards mods are all to improve game performance via graphics or to tweak visuals which have no impact on core gameplay.

Also you have to remember a good deal of exploitation took place on the consoles. Save editors, dragon Head glitching, bottomless box exploit to dupe items and prey on low-level characters etc.

I've played through to getting the Lordvessel on PC and I've yet to meet any hackers or cheaters.

Honestly there isn't more dirty play going on via the PC version than on consoles IMO.

Wowbagger

I accidentally backstabbed one of the octopus monsters in Duke's Archives today. Had no idea that was possible. Guess I've been too afraid of their grab attack to ever go that close.

Amazed I can still learn new things after playing this game for one thousand effing hours (why did I calculate that, lol).

I accidentally backstabbed one of the octopus monsters in Duke's Archives today. Had no idea that was possible. Guess I've been too afraid of their grab attack to ever go that close.

Amazed I can still learn new things after playing this game for one thousand effing hours (why did I calculate that, lol).
I did this accidently too just the other day, it was the docile ones that drop the miracles, I too had no idea you could do that since I always pyro/avelyn them.

Wowbagger, are you PS3? A few days back, probably last weekend I summoned someone for help with 4 Kings and they had a PSN tag same/very similar as your GAF name. I wasn't sure so I didn't message "yo GAF crew!" or anything like that! ;)

i-Lo

So I didn't want to be a puppet of the primordial serpents any more. I was under Firelink Shrine at the altar for Lord Vessel when I discharged some lightning bolts at Frampt. He went of a diatribe as to how I am not the chosen one and disappeared. My question is, if I warp out of that place, can I simply pop back in by dropping into the hole left by Frampt?

Wowbagger

Wowbagger, are you PS3? A few days back, probably last weekend I summoned someone for help with 4 Kings and they had a PSN tag same/very similar as your GAF name. I wasn't sure so I didn't message "yo GAF crew!" or anything like that! ;)

That could have been me. My PSN ID is W0Wbaggr.

If it was me, I hope I wasn't using one of the SL100 builds I'm creating in preparation for the DLC. Since I don't want to go through the new content completely overpowered, I haven't maxed out their damage output yet. And I found out the hard way that's not good for fighting the kings in NG+ and beyond. :)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So I didn't want to be a puppet of the primordial serpents any more. I was under Firelink Shrine at the altar for Lord Vessel when I discharged some lightning bolts at Frampt. He went of a diatribe as to how I am not the chosen one and disappeared. My question is, if I warp out of that place, can I simply pop back in by dropping into the hole left by Frampt?
Yep. You can also warp there from any Bonfire.

Just messing around with a new stabby, stabby sorcerer build and I wanted a jagged ghost blade early, which I got but on my way back I tried to kick the hollow that is sat across from the transient curse corpse/jar off into the water and instead I got a little backflip/slash move. Are there any other weapons that change the kick move?

That could have been me. My PSN ID is W0Wbaggr.

If it was me, I hope I wasn't using one of the SL100 builds I'm creating in preparation for the DLC. Since I don't want to go through the new content completely overpowered, I haven't maxed out their damage output yet. And I found out the hard way that's not good for fighting the kings in NG+ and beyond. :)
That was it yes, I think I died :-x

Mxrz

Been avoiding the PC/dlc talk for the most part, but yeah editors are out there apparently. Its hard, but going into the new areas blind will be worth it.

The shiny bug things in The Great Hollow drop them randomly with quite a good droprate IIRC.

Unfortunately, I killed most of them without humanity, and no serpent ring earlier in the game. Also, wish I had known about quitting and reloading from where they spawn sooner. Would've made hunting them down easier. :D

Managed to get one slab out of the ones that were still there, so I guess it wasn't a total loss. Got one from the Darkwraiths too after killing oh 5000 of them......

Cleared Duke's Archives and Crystal Cave. Kinda disappointed by the boss fights after Anor Londo. Seath was way too easy. Cut his tail off for the weapon and that was the hardest part of the fight. Nito too. Isn't this guy supposed to have the strength of lords?

Aside from that really enjoying the game. I don't want it to be over! Can't wait for the DLC. :3

So, I kill the Taurus Demon, start exploring the next part of the level and then this dragon appears and kills me. And I spawn at the first bonfire in the level. Seriosuly?

Also, a question. Do demons drop the big souls when you kill them like in Demons' Souls? I didn't get anything from Taurus.

Soulhouf

Huh? The only GAF efforts in the OT towards mods are all to improve game performance via graphics or to tweak visuals which have no impact on core gameplay.

Also you have to remember a good deal of exploitation took place on the consoles. Save editors, dragon Head glitching, bottomless box exploit to dupe items and prey on low-level characters etc.

I've played through to getting the Lordvessel on PC and I've yet to meet any hackers or cheaters.

Honestly there isn't more dirty play going on via the PC version than on consoles IMO.

All the PS3 exploits I've seen were into the game's limit. You can't do any save editing and other no sense overpowered builds (SL1 with 99 stats, unlimited HP, stamina...).
As for mods, OK there are one which is there to improve the game but countless ones that break it, not to mention ugly equipment mods, characters proportions and that kind of non sens stuff.
Being able to do good things open the door to do bad things as well and that makes me sick.

I will continue to stay away from the PC version and wait for a proper PS3 version.

i-Lo

So, I kill the Taurus Demon, start exploring the next part of the level and then this dragon appears and kills me. And I spawn at the first bonfire in the level. Seriosuly?

Also, a question. Do demons drop the big souls when you kill them like in Demons' Souls? I didn't get anything from Taurus.

Well you get the boss soul that, like in demons souls, is to be either consumed (not recommended) or be used to forge weapons.

Wowbagger

There are scorch marks and bodies on the bridge, but yeah... still a little cheap. You should have expected that to happen, though, having played Demon's Souls. :)

Some do, some don't. Taurus doesn't.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
All the PS3 exploits I've seen were into the game's limit.

I will continue to stay away from the PC version and wait for a proper PS3 version.
Exploiting the game to get infinite souls wasn't an intentional feature of the game and I don't rate it much higher than actively editing the save file (which actually WAS present in the console versions either way).

But OK. I don't want to play sides here, if you just prefer the console version that's cool with me. I don't really see anything sickening about the kinds of mods being posted on GAF. Certaintly not more sickening than seeing phantoms Dragon Head glitching or Let's Play videos of people SL 350 running around with full Havel's and a health bar that goes all the way across the screen.

Mxrz

Exploiting the game to get infinite souls wasn't an intentional feature of the game and I don't rate it much higher than actively editing the save file (which actually WAS present in the console versions either way).

But OK. I don't want to play sides here, if you just prefer the console version that's cool with me. I don't really see anything sickening about the kinds of mods being posted on GAF. Certaintly not more sickening than seeing phantoms Dragon Head glitching or Let's Play videos of people SL 350 running around with full Havel's and a health bar that goes all the way across the screen.

I've heard of save editing on the 360, but nothing on the PS3 side. Glitches like the Bottomless Box and Dragon-head Souls don't give you any advantage in pvp that you can't get normally. 50 Vit + fap actually give you the full health bar. That's not that unusual.

Using the dragonhead to toss infinite daggers, or buff elemental weapons is bad and hopefully gets patched. But people still aren't invulnerable. Things like negative/infinite health and sl1s with max stats are on a different level of awful. Editors/trainers likely aren't on gaf (gotta avoid the pc thread for spoilers) but they do exist, seemingly in great number.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'd argue that the bottomless box glitch gives you a really unfair advantage in PVP that you can't get normally, something that's actually been fixed in the PC version along with nerfing the dark wood grain ring.

Like I said, I've yet to really experience any hackers in my time playing the PC version. I did 3 playthroughs on the PS3 as well. I don't think the PC version is in any worse condition but ymmv, I just think it's a bit narrow-minded to consider one version or the other 'proper'. The equivalent would be if I were to bust up in here a bunch with commentary like "ugh the low resolution and messy textures disgust me, just can't go back after the proper PC high resolutions".

Booshka

I'd argue that the bottomless box glitch gives you a really unfair advantage in PVP that you can't get normally, something that's actually been fixed in the PC version along with nerfing the dark wood grain ring.

Like I said, I've yet to really experience any hackers in my time playing the PC version. I did 3 playthroughs on the PS3 as well. I don't think the PC version is in any worse condition but ymmv, I just think it's a bit narrow-minded to consider one version or the other 'proper'. The equivalent would be if I were to bust up in here a bunch with commentary like "ugh the low resolution and messy textures disgust me, just can't go back after the proper PC high resolutions".

Balancing the Flip ring is excellent, but the bottomless box glitch is just for saving time and effort on creating builds. You can spend the time and get a twink build normally for low level ganking or do it with Bottomless box glitch, it doesn't matter either way, just one way takes less time. Most players use the box glitch to create new level 120 characters and builds quickly for PvP, instead of having to spend to 20+ hours to build a character the old fashioned way, which all of us have done plenty of times already.

Soulhouf

Infinite souls will make you out of my range for PvP so I don't give a fuck.
As for the BB glitch, it will enable you to make a PvP character faster, but in any case you will break the game's limits. Besides, these items you transfer, you did earn them at least once properly.

When the PS3 version will hit, these glitches will be fixed. This besides the fact that you can't edit PS3 saves, will make it a proper version.
Of course other glitches may appear as well but the PC version on top of that has all the trainer thing, save editing and mods.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You're right, the console versions are clearly the proper ones. I don't know what I was thinking associating myself with the disgusting PC version.

Carry on.

ds8.jpg

Am I crazy or do From put things like the BB glitch intentionally for this very purpose - so that longtime players can make new character builds fast? The BB glitch wasn't known about for a while was it? If that is the case, then maybe they block up one hole, but make another to be discovered.

Is that too conspiratorial, should I take off my tinfoil hat?

MechaX

Am I crazy or do From put things like the BB glitch intentionally for this very purpose - so that longtime players can make new character builds fast? The BB glitch wasn't known about for a while was it? If that is the case, then maybe they block up one hole, but make another to be discovered.

Is that too conspiratorial, should I take off my tinfoil hat?

Given the rather random incident of needing to completely fill up the character slots, I doubt the BB Glitch was intentional.

I personally do see its usefulness in making builds very fast for older players (and can even spice up run-throughs when considering you'll be able to speed past certain frustration spots and skip some areas that you really don't need to go to easily), but it is still such a shame that its primary purpose was to create low-level twink builds to camp out in the Burg.

i-Lo

No cheating or glitching here but at level 202 (and 10.7m souls still at hand for levelling all earned through hours of invader farming) I feel grossly over levelled for my first incomplete playthrough. Makes me wonder if I'd need to level up in NG+ or ++ for PVE.

In general what's the average SL for NG+ and specially ++?

You're right, the console versions are clearly the proper ones. I don't know what I was thinking associating myself with the disgusting PC version.

Carry on.

ds8.jpg

wtf is this!?

Mxrz

No cheating or glitching here but at level 202 (and 10.7m souls still at hand for levelling all earned through hours of invader farming) I feel grossly over levelled for my first incomplete playthrough. Makes me wonder if I'd need to level up in NG+ or ++ for PVE.

In general what's the average SL for NG+ and specially ++?

wtf is this!?

For strictly online/ pvp meta, people stop leveling at sl125 at the highest. There isn't so much a level range per cycle, just whatever level of challenge you want or whatever range of pvp you want to be in. At sl200, you likely won't feel any pve challenge until after a couple of cycles, and probably won't see many players outside the forest.

That is a host/player
hiding in the coffin leading to the Gravelord covenant in the catacombs
and a darkwraith about to give him the business.

i-Lo

For strictly online/ pvp meta, people stop leveling at sl125 at the highest. There isn't so much a level range per cycle, just whatever level of challenge you want or whatever range of pvp you want to be in. At sl200, you likely won't feel any pve challenge until after a couple of cycles, and probably won't see many players outside the forest.

Ah I see, thanks.

That is a host/player
hiding in the coffin leading to the Gravelord covenant in the catacombs
and a darkwraith about to give him the business.

LoL, yea I have been in it myself but I didn't know that the player was vulnerable from an attack during this segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom