• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, let's talk stats:

Where is the diminishing returns/scaling level at and what stats are probably the most important to raise for PvP/PvE respectively?

Thinking of making a new character for Prepare to Die and kinda want to do a low level and/or raising levels to the stat scale point without grinding for scaling/few returns.

Messing around with character builds - my VIT/END/RES build went nowhere - everything into RES after putting VIT/END up to 40-45~. I didn't notice much difference other than taking ever so slightly longer to poison in Blighttown.

Also made a build where I put everything into VIT/END only (save a few in STR/DEX for bow/Uchi) - I think it was 75 VIT, 55 END - nice but with both builds my weapons were underpowered of course and the hornet ring/lagstab brigade still took 60-70% health off, 2 wake-up WotGs and you're still back to the bonfire. And the boost in VIT/END I could've got from a ring/mask combo.

The most success/fun I ever had in PvP was with my Black Knight Axe STR build - it just cuts me up that I gave in to the masses - I still want to find a kooky stats/weapon/gear build that works in PvP too! I think almost any gear/weapon combo can work if you're a master at the game though.

Just got past sen's fortress, went in looking raggedy with balder armor and a drake sword. Came out like a g with steel armor and a lightning spear.

best game ever

krakov

Messing around with character builds - my VIT/END/RES build went nowhere - everything into RES after putting VIT/END up to 40-45~. I didn't notice much difference other than taking ever so slightly longer to poison in Blighttown.

Also made a build where I put everything into VIT/END only (save a few in STR/DEX for bow/Uchi) - I think it was 75 VIT, 55 END - nice but with both builds my weapons were underpowered of course and the hornet ring/lagstab brigade still took 60-70% health off, 2 wake-up WotGs and you're still back to the bonfire. And the boost in VIT/END I could've got from a ring/mask combo.

The most success/fun I ever had in PvP was with my Black Knight Axe STR build - it just cuts me up that I gave in to the masses - I still want to find a kooky stats/weapon/gear build that works in PvP too! I think almost any gear/weapon combo can work if you're a master at the game though.

Almost everything works in PvP I'd say, how do you generally engage in it? My advice is to get the red eye orb as soon as possible and start experimenting. Avoid the forest and dark anor londo. Play defensively and pay attention to how you opponent is playing. Losing doesn't come with a cost so just keep trying.

Almost everything works in PvP I'd say, how do you generally engage in it? My advice is to get the red eye orb as soon as possible and start experimenting. Avoid the forest and dark anor londo. Play defensively and pay attention to how you opponent is playing. Losing doesn't come with a cost so just keep trying.
I tend to wait around to be invaded in hotspots like the Parish or (Dark) Anor Londo and then troll invaders by playing hide and seek, using poison arrows, using the environment to my advantage - drop attacks, lifts, gates etc - I really like to use the area which I'm in.

Once I've used my bag of tricks and it's down to business - then it's me; naked except for a sack on my head with a target dagger at level 12 - vs - them, in derp mask, havel/giants gear, flippy ring and fully upgraded lightning weapon/hornets ring etc - you get the picture - you have to use the gear everyone uses or you're toast.

Later on, they're still in the same gear of course, I'm using the best I can with Havels ring whilst still keeping the fast roll because my main advantage in PvP is speed - running away to a more advantageous terrain, using the environment, getting them pissed off enough to rush in and make mistakes - I'm not interested in a quick 30 second duel, I like to paw at my pray first!

krakov

I tend to wait around to be invaded in hotspots like the Parish or (Dark) Anor Londo and then troll invaders by playing hide and seek, using poison arrows, using the environment to my advantage - drop attacks, lifts, gates etc - I really like to use the area which I'm in.

Once I've used my bag of tricks and it's down to business - then it's me; naked except for a sack on my head with a target dagger at level 12 - vs - them, in derp mask, havel/giants gear, flippy ring and fully upgraded lightning weapon/hornets ring etc - you get the picture - you have to use the gear everyone uses or you're toast.

Later on, they're still in the same gear of course, I'm using the best I can with Havels ring whilst still keeping the fast roll because my main advantage in PvP is speed - running away to a more advantageous terrain, using the environment, getting them pissed off enough to rush in and make mistakes - I'm not interested in a quick 30 second duel, I like to paw at my pray first!

Well, as you describe you can fight even without using a weapon. Locking people out in the Parish, pushing them off ledges, fighting on ladders, etc. Anything goes. If you level towards 100 there wont be such a big difference between derp gear and regular stuff. While maxed out lightning weapons are powerful at SL 12 they are pretty weaksauce at 100+. Fighting naked is also completely viable.

Just tripping through the Parish to the Sunlight Altar and on my way back noticed a 'dead' undead in the oddest position under the bridge with the archers at the gate:

dscf00057ixk7.jpg

dscf001046bjm.jpg

I've seen some weird ragdoll physics in this game, but this dude floating under the bridge like he's sky diving takes the crown!

Got hit with a reality check when I got to anor londo, everything is bodying me, those giant knights that can heal, lautrec and his friends, smough and ornstein

gonna have to resort to youtube for these

I've been keeping out of both threads for fear of Artorias of the Abyss spoilers (I literally know nothing about it other than the tweaks and the arena soul levels) so I am wondering, if it is possible to answer without spoiling anything, what soul level is PVP going to be after the DLC? Is it still 120/125, will it move to 100 or is it being raised to 200? I'd appreciate any spoiler free answer.

Wowbagger

I've been keeping out of both threads for fear of Artorias of the Abyss spoilers (I literally know nothing about it other than the tweaks and the arena soul levels) so I am wondering, if it is possible to answer without spoiling anything, what soul level is PVP going to be after the DLC? Is it still 120/125, will it move to 100 or is it being raised to 200? I'd appreciate any spoiler free answer.

I've been watching a lot of PC PVP on Youtube and Twitch while waiting for the DLC and it seems the vast majority use SL100 characters.

I've been watching a lot of PC PVP on Youtube and Twitch while waiting for the DLC and it seems the vast majority use SL100 characters.

Thanks. I wonder what that'll do to the build variety. It seems to me that it might change the standard amount of endurance within builds (hybrid builds especially). Can you tell if the elemental nerf is enough to overcome the decreased amount of levels in the stats or will elemental weapons end up at only a slight disadvantage again?

NBtoaster

That's because the PVP area tier 50-100 is by far the most popular. And at level 100 you are still just in the pvp/co op range of level 120 characters.

If on console everyone goes into the new content with level 120 characters the 100-200 tier might be more popular (which I wouldn't recommend - start a new game for the new content or it might be too easy).

Finally beat Dark Souls! Final boss music is pretty awesome. The build I was using had really low health and decent defense. Tried out NG+ right away and it's like my character is naked. Getting hit takes off half of my health now. :O Kind of has me dreading playing it again, but I will try.

Overall I enjoyed this game much more than, Demon's Souls. This game has jumped up to one of my favorite games of all time. Truly outstanding game. The DLC can't come soon enough.

Mxrz

The pvp ranges are weird. Its not like From doesn't know what the community uses. I'd kept my first couple characters at the sl 95 range, and then raised them up to 110-120 for the hell of it. Oh well.

Wowbagger

Thanks. I wonder what that'll do to the build variety. It seems to me that it might change the standard amount of endurance within builds (hybrid builds especially).

Yes, I think it will. Some may choose to sacrifice vitality instead. Hybrids will have to settle for less of both. Will balance those ridiculous weapon buffs a tiny bit better, I hope.

Can you tell if the elemental nerf is enough to overcome the decreased amount of levels in the stats or will elemental weapons end up at only a slight disadvantage again?

The nerf is 8-10%, iirc. And elemental weapons do less critical damage than +15 now. No idea how it will work out. At least the hornet ring, lightning zweihander crowd got hit hard.

If on console everyone goes into the new content with level 120 characters the 100-200 tier might be more popular (which I wouldn't recommend - start a new game for the new content or it might be too easy).

My impression is that most don't want to face SL200 builds, but we'll see.

The pvp ranges are weird. Its not like From doesn't know what the community uses. I'd kept my first couple characters at the sl 95 range, and then raised them up to 110-120 for the hell of it. Oh well.

I've read that the 120-125 cap is a western thing and that Japanese players prefer to stop at 100. No idea how true that is.

Finally beat Dark Souls! Final boss music is pretty awesome. The build I was using had really low health and decent defense. Tried out NG+ right away and it's like my character is naked. Getting hit takes off half of my health now. :O Kind of has me dreading playing it again, but I will try.

Congrats! Saw you playing it a bunch. Thought about asking if you needed help with anything, but never got around to it. Maybe we'll do some co-op once the DLC is out.

The SL100 PvP cap + DWGR nerf should result in more balance play I can only assume. A little bit less VIT/END or a little less damage/spell power and maybe some new tricks and tips to be learned, I think it should be good.

I'm so ready for the DLC, it's still a month or so away! I'm ready now!

Congrats! Saw you playing it a bunch. Thought about asking if you needed help with anything, but never got around to it. Maybe we'll do some co-op once the DLC is out.

I'm down for that. Hardly ever did co-op in this game. Only summoned once for Ornstein & Smough.

So how does this DLC work? Is it an Expansion or will we have to start a new save? Got a SL92 battle mage type build, and a SL122 Warrior. Kind of want to start my warrior over because I stupidly put a few points into faith and int. But with dat Demon Great Machete, he's still pretty beast. :]

krakov

I think a lower cap will bring a lot more variety and it's great we will see a lot less ninja flipping and derp masks. The really heavy armor sets will pretty much be tied to the medium roll unless you want to take END way beyond 40.

I think a lower cap will bring a lot more variety and it's great we will see a lot less ninja flipping and derp masks. The really heavy armor sets will pretty much be tied to the medium roll unless you want to take END way beyond 40.

I know consoles are getting the DLC, obviously, but are we certain they're going to include the patch in terms of nerfing things as well? I mean I'm all for it, but...

Welp, I'm about to uninstall. Last boss is too damn hard. The game was fun though, but I don't have the patience to die 30 times in a row hoping I'd be lucky enough to pull off enough parry-attacks in a row to kill the SOB.

Why wouldn't they?

Well the difference is that the Prepare to Die Edition is the only PC version and so all adjustments came in the game from the start. Consoles are getting DLC separately, but they're not going to patch ONLY for people who download the DLC, which means they have to send the patch through the Microsoft/Sony process separately, right?

That's the only reason I'm wondering about it.

Dresden

Welp, I'm about to uninstall. Last boss is too damn hard. The game was fun though, but I don't have the patience to die 30 times in a row hoping I'd be lucky enough to pull off enough parry-attacks in a row to kill the SOB.

Just practice on the knights on the way. His parry timing is slow and really lenient.

You don't need to parry at all, either, it's just that it's easier that way.

I never bothered learning to parry his attacks either, although I've been using the target shield almost exclusively lately and have gotten a lot better at it since.

Gwyn is a piece of cake if you are a magic user, half a dozen crystal soul homing masses and he's down. When not a sorcerer, I also use the Avelyn/pyro at a distance (and a few sword slashes when he goes in for his grab).

Also, you can summon - that always helps :)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"About to uninstall, Dark Souls last boss is just too hard."

Really man? You've been through Seath, Tomb of the Giants, Smough and Ornstein, the bullshit that is Bed of Chaos and everything else just to give up at the last boss because you can't get the parry timing down?

You're better than that.

Weakness: Resignation

i finally found time to play this again. Haven't touched it since Dec. I'm trying to figure out which weapon I was going for. I'm thinking it was Iaito since my stats are 14 STR and 20 Dex. What's the best way to upgrade that? Lightning? I'm rocking a +5 winged spear right now.

I'm not liking blighttown right now. I made it to the bonfire and turned it off. haha

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
i finally found time to play this again. Haven't touched it since Dec. I'm trying to figure out which weapon I was going for. I'm thinking it was Iaito since my stats are 14 STR and 20 Dex. What's the best way to upgrade that? Lightning? I'm rocking a +5 winged spear right now.

I'm not liking blighttown right now. I made it to the bonfire and turned it off. haha

Elemental upgrades kill stat scaling, so you'd be ruining your Iaito if you plan to put points into Dex.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Is it wrong to admit I've never killed Gywn using only parries? I've maybe done it three or four times a fight, then finished him off normally.

If you want the best chance of tanking and fighting him the right way, upgrade the Black Iron Greatshield to +14-+15, best shield for tanking Gywn aside from the Black Knight Shield. Use lots of stamina regen grass or gear too, or Power Within if your Vitality is high enough. Black Knight Greataxe +5 works well too, as do the +5 Fire Halberds.

Well the difference is that the Prepare to Die Edition is the only PC version and so all adjustments came in the game from the start. Consoles are getting DLC separately, but they're not going to patch ONLY for people who download the DLC, which means they have to send the patch through the Microsoft/Sony process separately, right?

That's the only reason I'm wondering about it.

They've already patched the game twice on both consoles. Don't see why they can't do it again.

Is it wrong to admit I've never killed Gywn using only parries? I've maybe done it three or four times a fight, then finished him off normally.

If you want the best chance of tanking and fighting him the right way, upgrade the Black Iron Greatshield to +14-+15, best shield for tanking Gywn aside from the Black Knight Shield. Use lots of stamina regen grass or gear too, or Power Within if your Vitality is high enough. Black Knight Greataxe +5 works well too, as do the +5 Fire Halberds.

Not really wrong at all but I'd say it would be rather unusual, solely because parrying seems to be the easiest method once you get the timing correct. Afterall, you can literally just stand there, parry, riposte, drink an estus flask (when the estus flash drinking animation allows you to cancel it with a parry the timing is the same as Gwyn's stand up-swing animation so you can immediately parry it. Or at least, that's what I do anyway) and repeat. Otherwise he is comparable to Flamelurker in terms of his aggressiveness so it's more difficult to beat him in normal combat.

Is thread dead now the PC thread has come to the community section? Well, not quite dead....

There are few things as satisfying as trolling low-level invaders who use high level gear.

Just had great fun trapping an invader in the Parish - when you get through the gate without going through the fog door to the bridge above, so they are 100% stuck behind the gate - lol.

And also using the jump to Lower Undead Burg, I've noticed a few times if you've already killed Capra Demon, as soon as you go down the steps into the Depths it automatically sends the invader home similar to when you walk through a boss fog.

I've had a lucky couple of drops today - Speaking of Capra, I got a Demon Great Machete from him, never had one drop from the main Capra Demon before, and also a Trident from the Channeller in the Depths. I don't need it with this character so the first magic user I see in co-op I'll drop it for.

Good times, hurry up DLC. :)

Posted this in the other thread:

SHould I quit? Honest to god should I? I've been playing for a few hours and have made zero progress. Zero. I can't even get past the tarus demon. Even if I do get to him, I die too fast because I'm gang uped on by 8 guys with 3 throwing fire bombs. I, have no stamina like ever, and I'm just not learning. No souls, no ability to level up.

Posted this in the other thread:

SHould I quit? Honest to god should I? I've been playing for a few hours and have made zero progress. Zero. I can't even get past the tarus demon. Even if I do get to him, I die too fast because I'm gang uped on by 8 guys with 3 throwing fire bombs. I, have no stamina like ever, and I'm just not learning. No souls, no ability to level up.

when you enter the taurus demon's area, immediately head to the right and climb the stairs to kill the 2 archers. go back down. trigger the taurus demon, and run back to stairs. when your up there, jump down and attack midair to do an attack that takes off 75% of his hp. then roll/ run away and either try it again, or slash him for that last 25%

when you enter the taurus demon's area, immediately head to the right and climb the stairs to kill the 2 archers. go back down. trigger the taurus demon, and run back to stairs. when your up there, jump down and attack midair to do an attack that takes off 75% of his hp. then roll/ run away and either try it again, or slash him for that last 25%

But, everytime I try to go up the stairs I die. Every single time. The soldiers block the stairway and knock me off or I take a ton of damage trying to get up because they're instantly attacking me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
But, everytime I try to go up the stairs I die. Every single time. The soldiers block the stairway and knock me off or I take a ton of damage trying to get up because they're instantly attacking me.

Which stairs?

Have you ever tried using a "pulling" tactic? It's where you gradually move closer to draw the attention of a single enemy (or as few as possible) and then run back (not too quickly) to an area where it's easier for you to fight.

thats hella weird yo. i guess try to equip as much armor that gives you as much def/poise even if you fight roll just to deal with the soldiers on top.

then once they are dead, equip lighter armor that lets you middle/fast roll and trigger the taurus.

I don't understand this, the two enemies on top of the tower won't attack until you're at the top. Are you sure you're talking about the two enemies at the top of the ladder after going through the fog?

Climb up the ladder, get on the roof so they don't knock you off the edge, deal with the two hollows, go down trigger the Taurus Demon - run back and climb the ladder, wait till he's stood under the tower and do a plunging attack for 'massive damage'.

In general until you learn enemy attack patterns, it's safer to get enemies 1-on-1, bait them out slowly either by walking slowly or with an arrow - wait for them to attack, block it and then get your hit in. When starting out never rush through an area, enemies will follow you and then you're toast when they corner you.

You say you never have stamina, it regenerates VERY slowly with your shield UP, so when you don't need it, lower your shield. This is why you don't want to take on a lot of enemies at once, every hit blocked costs stamina - 2 or 3 enemies hitting your shield = no stamina, no blocking/attacking, dead.

And DON'T QUIT. Every new area, enemy, every corner is a learning experience. Death is not the end in Dark Souls! You'll soon be laughing at the Taurus Demon, honest!

Dresden

Just remember two things about the Taurus Demon.

One: He swings very slowly.

Two: You can run through him in between his legs.

I've never enjoyed RPG's, but I'm absolutely hooked on this game, such a throwback the difficult games of my childhood.
I made it to Blighttown last night, and surprisingly I'm not having too hard a time with the game, I'm hoping the difficulty ramps up soon. Just for reference percentage wise how far into the game am I?

Sullichin

I've never enjoyed RPG's, but I'm absolutely hooked on this game, such a throwback the difficult games of my childhood.
I made it to Blighttown last night, and surprisingly I'm not having too hard a time with the game, I'm hoping the difficulty ramps up soon. Just for reference percentage wise how far into the game am I?

You're about 25% in. There's tons of optional areas though so it's hard to say. It's a really big game.

I finally decided to tackle the cemetery and the catacombs after being afraid of them for so long as I got owned when I first tried to go there at the beginning of the game.

I headed there after beating O&S in Anor Londo.

Im finding them more isolating than Blightown, I feel like im playing Turok, cant see too far and its a scary place.

Very close to one of the bonfires I can hear what sounds like "stars shinning" I dont know how else to explain it, I wonder what it is.

Finished NG+, then went in a third time for platinum. :]

Tried to do everything a little different. Like clearing the catacombs first, and ringing the second bell first. And, it creeped me out that no matter what you do, Lautrec will get free somehow and kill the firekeeper. Killed him as soon as he showed up(I didn't even free him D:) the 3rd time so I wouldn't have to deal with his BS. I also managed to backstab the armored boar, and laughed way harder than I should've. XD

I was pretty much breezing through NG+, until I got to Gwyn again. He does so much more damage in NG+. Tried everything, magic, iron flesh, block then attack, then rolling more. Finally I said fuck it, and equipped the hornet ring, dodged his jump attack ran up to his face and parried him to death. Way harder than I thougt he was gonna be, but man was it satisfying to beat him and finish the game again.

Also, the hornet ring is probably my fav ring to have equipped. Made some parts in NG+ a lot easier for me.

With platinum done I can focus on RE6 till the new DLC comes. Love this game. :3

Finished NG+, then went in a third time for platinum. :]

Tried to do everything a little different. Like clearing the catacombs first, and ringing the second bell first. And, it creeped me out that no matter what you do, Lautrec will get free somehow and kill the firekeeper. Killed him as soon as he showed up(I didn't even free him D:) the 3rd time so I wouldn't have to deal with his BS. I also managed to backstab the armored boar, and laughed way harder than I should've. XD

I was pretty much breezing through NG+, until I got to Gwyn again. He does so much more damage in NG+. Tried everything, magic, iron flesh, block then attack, then rolling more. Finally I said fuck it, and equipped the hornet ring, dodged his jump attack ran up to his face and parried him to death. Way harder than I thougt he was gonna be, but man was it satisfying to beat him and finish the game again.

Also, the hornet ring is probably my fav ring to have equipped. Made some parts in NG+ a lot easier for me.

With platinum done I can focus on RE6 till the new DLC comes. Love this game. :3

i plan to make a shiva of the east build and have Hornet ring/Ring of Favor with rapier/daggers on hand (shiva didnt use rapiers but i'm not totally suicidal).

sure i will die 90% of the time, but the hornet ring unique animations will make it sweeeet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom