• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said the same many times - it's hugely annoying seeing other summoned helpers just run through ahead of the host and slice through everything and then kill the boss in seconds. The host isn't learning anything about how to play.

I think most people whining over the loss of the bb glitch has prepared a bunch of characters already.
They're going to run out soon though. It's going to be interesting seeing how the online community play develops - between this and the 100 SL 'cap' rather than 120.

Ridley327

The patch must've been Prepare to Die balance changes.

The Lightning Spear has been nerfed. :(

Down to 144 from 160.

To add to this, I think that it's been noted that in general, elemental weapons got a slight nerf in PTDE across the board. Chaos weapons are still beastly, but those always relied on the amount of soft humanity you had on you.

Another ring nerf that I know of: the Fog Ring gives you a translucent outline now, so it's pretty much only useful for PvE now.

Ridley327

I expect more changes/fixes/gameplay balance in the console DLC since the PC version has been for a while.

I'd laugh if they still kept one of the ways you can kill the final boss of the DLC in; I still think they did that on purpose, but it's soooooo anti-climatic compared to how you're supposed to do it.

I started over and decided to get the Drake sword this time around since I actually understand the game a lot more. Didn't want to be too reliant on it initially. Holy shit...this thing is brutal lol.

Ridley327

Oh cool, the patch added the new bonfire warps. Being a PC player, I can only imagine the pain that you guys must have gone through when it came to accessing Tomb of the Giants and Duke's Archives, so make sure to enjoy the hell out of those new warps.

BadWolf

A list of some of the confirmed changes posted by gamefaqs user FinalWolf:

Confirmed Patch Changes (1.06)
Weapon and Shield Changes

Greatswords and Curved Greatswords are slower than before
Elemental Weapons are weaker than before
Eagle Shield down to 95% Physical Reduction from 100%
Blocking drains more stamina than before.
Stamina consumption increased for spear attacks from behind a shield.

Armor Changes

Mask of the Father only provides 5% equip load bonus, down from 15%.
Mask of the Mother only provides 10% HP increase, down from 15%
Elite Knight Set poise is 46 (fixing irregularities caused by region and patch inconsistencies)

Ring Changes

Dark Wood Grain Ring only enables unique rolling animation when under 25% equip burden. Increased movement speed at 25%-50% encumberance also removed.
Hornet Ring damage modifier lowered from 50 to 30

Other General Changes

More Bonfire Warping locations - Undead Parish, Tomb of Giants, The Depths, Duke's Archives, Painted World of Ariamis; removed useless Bed of Chaos warp point
Crystal Golems AoE attacks now inflict curse.
Critical damage reduced. This includes backstabs and riposte
Twilight Anor Londo NPCs no longer respawn
Environmental Lava Damage increased

Glitches and Fixes

Bottomless Box Glitch removed
Dragon Head glitch removed
Spell Swap glitch removed
Prism Stone item duplication glitch removed
Bow Backstab removed
Pendant Description fixed: "A simple pendant with no effect. Even so, pleasant memories are crucial to survival on arduous journeys"

Mxrz

They're going to run out soon though. It's going to be interesting seeing how the online community play develops - between this and the 100 SL 'cap' rather than 120.

They'll simply go back to standard mule duping. The BB glitch just evened the field for people who didn't want to wiki/forum beg and cut down on the tediousness of it. Even ignoring that, its never been that difficult to obtain max gear without leveling up much. Its part of the Souls experience at this point.

The PvP arena caps shouldn't change much. Sl40-80 have been popular since that is where the most invasions are found outside of the Burg. Japanese/Asian pvp was usually sl100 centric for Dark Souls. The Sl120-125 mostly came about as a carry over from Demon's, and the wiki and other forums wanting full buff builds without sacrificing anything vs elemental. Those guys will have to adjust, but then they done okay hosting their own tournaments. Maybe they'll keep on. Used to see some big rows about whether sl80-100 was more balanced with variation than sl120.

The nerf to elementals and a 100 cap could shake things up. But I'd guess people will just drop health to keep up max damage potential, and the end result being a bunch of frail characters fishing for a backstab or stunlock. Which might be worse.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Audίoboxer;43471982 said:
Belief dead.
It really was a troll all along. Or simply people misunderstood or mistranslated the developer stating why he would choose the pendant. It was about making Dark Souls a harder game all along!

Audioboxer

They'll simply go back to standard mule duping. The BB glitch just evened the field for people who didn't want to wiki/forum beg and cut down on the tediousness of it. Even ignoring that, its never been that difficult to obtain max gear without leveling up much. Its part of the Souls experience at this point.

The PvP arena caps shouldn't change much. Sl40-80 have been popular since that is where the most invasions are found outside of the Burg. Japanese/Asian pvp was usually sl100 centric for Dark Souls. The Sl120-125 mostly came about as a carry over from Demon's, and the wiki and other forums wanting full buff builds without sacrificing anything vs elemental. Those guys will have to adjust, but then they done okay hosting their own tournaments. Maybe they'll keep on. Used to see some big rows about whether sl80-100 was more balanced with variation than sl120.

The nerf to elementals and a 100 cap could shake things up. But I'd guess people will just drop health to keep up max damage potential, and the end result being a bunch of frail characters fishing for a backstab or stunlock. Which might be worse.

It's always going to be true the most hardened of advantage seekers will go to any length for the edge, but the bottomless box glitch was super easy for anyone to do. Most importantly it could be done on your own, no need to go on forums and ask for help/trades/ect.

It should somewhat cut down on the ridiculous summons you see early game.

What do you guys think is the best view in the game?

Maybe it was the effect of finally getting out of the oppressive darkness of Sen's Fortress, but the view from the bridge between the boss door and Tarkus' summoning spot has to be the best view in the game, so far. Looking down at the cathedral and the city and then being able to see the Duke's Archives a bit closer. It's such a great spot to just sit and look around for a bit. Plus you can see for miles to the horizon. Makes me wonder what else might be out there!

Ridley327

Maybe it was the effect of finally getting out of the oppressive darkness of Sen's Fortress, but the view from the bridge between the boss door and Tarkus' summoning spot has to be the best view in the game, so far. Looking down at the cathedral and the city and then being able to see the Duke's Archives a bit closer. It's such a great spot to just sit and look around for a bit. Plus you can see for miles to the horizon. Makes me wonder what else might be out there!

Spoiler alert: things that will kill you.

Larsen B

Man, and just when I finally got a Murakumo +5, it becomes slower. Also the nerfing of ripostes doesn't sound like it makes Gwyn any more fun.

Anteater

What's a good weapon for a level 1 dude? I'm still using this hand axe from pyromancer, moveset is passable but I don't mind trying out some alternatives

The 1st bell for me. All the way through the Parish and Burg felt like such a trek then once you get atop the tower... Damn you feel so small in the world.

jimi_dini

I'm currently replaying Dark Souls and currently I'm at the boss of Sen's Fortress as level 7. Someone wanna help me and is lowlevel as well? (I'm on PS3)

The fortress boss wasn't that hard.

Anyway, holy shit

I just beat
4 kings
alone as level 10 :p And without any cheap tricks. Dodging their attacks isn't that hard and then they are a piece of cake. Had to use 2 or 3 estus flasks.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I didn't get a prompt for an update (UK) and can still BB glitch. I guess it isn't up in the UK yet. DLC is Wednesday for Euro, right?
Yeah I believe so. You should be able to exploit and glitch to your heart's content until the update actually gets applied.

Sullichin

What are the PvP arenas like? I haven't really seen anyone talk about them at all ever since the PC version came out - do people use them or not?

There's more PVP activity in the area right outside of this arena, through traditional invasion means. For me at least. It takes absolutely forever to find a match so I don't even bother. You also don't get any souls if you win so I only want to play it when I'm totally done leveling/creating my character. I'd probably play in the arena a lot if I could get matches consistently but the online in the PC version kind of blows.

Anteater

fucking intruder kicked my ass, i swear I couldn't hit him, but got him to 60% health somehow, but got killed by his fire dagger or whatever he had.

but I kicked the gargoyles' ass so I'm feeling better about myself

SxP

So I was planning to get a Lightning Iato +5 and then focus levelling on VIT/END. Seemed like a good combo with an Ascended Pyro Flame. Have they nerfed Lightning enough to make it pure garbage? It should still perform better than a Iato +15 pre 35-ish DEX right? Because if they nerfed it hard I might just focus levelling on DEX for a while longer. It's currently +7, so I still have some time to decide while I collect some Large Titanite Shards.

Babalu.

I have the game on 360 and its probably my favorite game on 360.

But i'm seeing all these comments about how the DLC is awesome and makes the game better and i'm seeing all of the comparisons when upping the resolution and things.

I just built a new PC thats a beast and want to play it on it with the better resolution

My question is if this is possble.

I have a 65" panasonic plasma with onkyo 5.1 surround and want to play it there. I have an HDMI cable going from my PC to the receiver and thats how I watch movies.

Is the game on steam?
I want to use the xbox controller and I have the PC dongle for it, does the game take xbox controller controls well or should I use keyboard?

I really just want to play the pc version on my couch. Is it worth it with an xbox controller and big TV or should I use keyboard/mouse

regarding the DLC:
And I went through the whole game a couple times without ever using 1 spell/magic. Is that viable anymore since I heard it was kind of nerfed in favor of pyro/magic. I was a berserk guts type character.

Want to start over with a new character, what kind of build would you guys recommend?

I didn't really do armor my first time so just throw out some suggestions y'all have had fun with and ill try it out!

Want to start over with a new character, what kind of build would you guys recommend?

I didn't really do armor my first time so just throw out some suggestions y'all have had fun with and ill try it out!

I've recentlyish started an INT build and he's amazing. Soul Spear and Homing Soul Mass are fucking incredible, and the Moonlight Horn is a formidable piece of kit too.

INT 50
Attunement 16
VIT 20
END 18

Crimson head and body gear +3
Elite Knight leggings and arm +5
Cadecus Kite Shield +5
Sorcerer Catalyst

So rad?

Random questions:

In Sen's, at the tunnel underneath the platform where you fight the Iron Golem, with the lone Baldur Knight inside of it. Is there any significance there? It's like he's guarding something but the path just ends in a dead end right after.

Also, are the Painted World and Oolacile connected at all? I know it's reaching, but Priscilla and Dusk could almost be sisters, the way they talk the exact same way.

So I was planning to get a Lightning Iato +5 and then focus levelling on VIT/END. Seemed like a good combo with an Ascended Pyro Flame. Have they nerfed Lightning enough to make it pure garbage? It should still perform better than a Iato +15 pre 35-ish DEX right? Because if they nerfed it hard I might just focus levelling on DEX for a while longer. It's currently +7, so I still have some time to decide while I collect some Large Titanite Shards.

With 35 DEX, +15 is always better. Iaito has A scaling.

Even before the patch, elementals were inferior to +15. They're useful for low level builds or VIT/END gauge builds. Or for those few weapons with absolute shit scaling.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Audίoboxer;43472493 said:
It's always going to be true the most hardened of advantage seekers will go to any length for the edge, but the bottomless box glitch was super easy for anyone to do. Most importantly it could be done on your own, no need to go on forums and ask for help/trades/ect.

It should somewhat cut down on the ridiculous summons you see early game.

I kind of doubt this. Everyone who has already done the BB glitch at least once can still invade with their crazy shit at low levels. It'll probably stop new people from duping, but honestly, everything is already fucked up and unfair. It's not going to get any better.

SxP

With 35 DEX, +15 is always better. Iaito has A scaling.

Even before the patch, elementals were inferior to +15. They're useful for low level builds or VIT/END gauge builds. Or for those few weapons with absolute shit scaling.

Yeah, so that was what I was planning to do, but I wondered if they nerfed lighting so hard that it really wouldn't do good damage. My DEX right now is 20 (the minimum for Iaito) and I was planning to keep it that way.

Random questions:

In Sen's, at the tunnel underneath the platform where you fight the Iron Golem, with the lone Baldur Knight inside of it. Is there any significance there? It's like he's guarding something but the path just ends in a dead end right after.
Nothing there no, except maybe another nice sniper shot to take out the giant dropping the boulders.

Don't know about the other question, but I don't think there is any connection.

Nothing there no, except maybe another nice sniper shot to take out the giant dropping the boulders.

Don't know about the other question, but I don't think there is any connection.

Ah, I never thought of a sniping spot. Good call.

Also, this game is hell on my older plasma. Burn in city! I have to remember to switch it over to TV every hour or so for a few minutes to get rid of the build up!

Audioboxer

I've recentlyish started an INT build and he's amazing. Soul Spear and Homing Soul Mass are fucking incredible, and the Moonlight Horn is a formidable piece of kit too.

INT 50
Attunement 16
VIT 20
END 18

Crimson head and body gear +3
Elite Knight leggings and arm +5
Cadecus Kite Shield +5
Sorcerer Catalyst

So rad?

What did you start as, pyromancer?

Did you try reloading your game?
Yep.

EDIT: might have spoke too soon. Just tried it on a different character and still didn't get it. Maybe it doesn't show up until the DLC is bought? Would make sense since it has no use for non DLC owners.

BTW, I'm also seeing those miracle resonance things a lot now. I'm in Darkroot right now and I'm literally seeing them EVERYWHERE. Before the patch I had never seen them outside that one place in the catacombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom