• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yep.

EDIT: might have spoke too soon. Just tried it on a different character and still didn't get it. Maybe it doesn't show up until the DLC is bought? Would make sense since it has no use for non DLC owners.

BTW, I'm also seeing those miracle resonance things a lot now. I'm in Darkroot right now and I'm literally seeing them EVERYWHERE. Before the patch I had never seen them outside that one place in the catacombs.
That's weird. I guess the patch adds that extra Golem, but obviously any new content has to be bought.

Good to hear about the miracle resonance rings.
Even better to hear about YOU DEFEATED!!

Edit:
Maaan, 500k souls and I'm stuck in Sen's Fortress.

Don't wanna try making it back to Firelink for fear of losing them, haha.
You could spend half of them on upgrade stones from that Berenike Knight in the tower, at least. Or go get the cage key from the bottom of that tower and shortcut your way back to the Parish.
Home safe!

This is when you use a ring of sacrifice.

All I had was a Rare Ring of Sacrifice. Went ahead and put it on, though.

Took the shortcut cage down, killed the Serpent guy, and got knocked down into the muck by one of the blades. Scrambled around trying to find the way out, dodging those Demonite guys, and managed to find the way up and out...

Sheesh, what a run!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is when you use a ring of sacrifice.
I've been using them a lot more recently, as I usually have about 4-5 left upon finishing a playthrough. Now I'm worried I won't have any for the DLC areas...

By the way, is it true that you can equip a RoS on your way to fetch your bloodstain/lost souls, and if you die, your old bloodstain won't be 'replaced'? What's the deal there?

I've been using them a lot more recently, as I usually have about 4-5 left upon finishing a playthrough. Now I'm worried I won't have any for the DLC areas...

By the way, is it true that you can equip a RoS on your way to fetch your bloodstain/lost souls, and if you die, your old bloodstain won't be 'replaced'? What's the deal there?

Several people that I watch on Youtube have said the same thing. If you equip a ring of sacrifice, you don't lose your bloodstain.

Edit: Also, I made it back to Firelink okay, after buying 100k worth of upgrade stones from Crestfallen.

Went down to Blighttown and upgraded my Pyro Flame to +20, and bought a ton of pyromancies.

Bought 20 each of toxin and poison curing moss.

Bunch of poison arrows.

And then leveled my endurance up to 35.

Not a bad way to spend 500k. =P

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh, I wonder if the PtD patch has fucked up the WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THIS STAMINA build I was preparing to do with two Grass Shields thanks to the BB glitch. :(

Wowbagger

That's the whole point of that ring! :)

And the difference between the rare and regular versions is that the latter will not preserve your old bloodstain if you get cursed.

Mort

Banned
I usually don't bitch about nerfs and balancing, but the greatsword nerf saddens me. The Black Knight Sword was my favorite weapon for New Games and I'd always kill the three black knights that drop it right away hoping for it. The swing speed nerf makes it feel really sluggish to me. I'm not sure if I like it anymore.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That's the whole point of that ring! :)

And the difference between the rare and regular versions is that the latter will not preserve your old bloodstain if you get cursed.
See, I never sussed that use for them! I just took it as a gamble like upon approaching a difficult bit, "I lose a ring slot, but don't lose my stuff". Seems like they work well as an insurance policy, too =)

Thanks for clearing up the Pyro confusion as well.
I miss Pyro. It doesn't make sense for any pure-melee build to go without it, unless you're doing an ultimate-pure melee run. Never really experimented with Iron Flesh or Power Within, but they look like they each yield results in both PvE and PvP. Time to invest some remaining souls before the DLC...

Mort

Banned
See, I never sussed that use for them! I just took it as a gamble like upon approaching a difficult bit, "I lose a ring slot, but don't lose my stuff". Seems like they work well as an insurance policy, too =)

Thanks for clearing up the Pyro confusion as well.
I miss Pyro. It doesn't make sense for any pure-melee build to go without it, unless you're doing an ultimate-pure melee run. Never really experimented with Iron Flesh or Power Within, but they look like they each yield results in both PvE and PvP. Time to invest some remaining souls before the DLC...

Indeed. I mean even if you're going pure melee, you really should grab a +0 pyromancy catalyst and Power Within. You sacrifice nothing and get a really powerful damage increasing cooldown in return.

Does anyone have any idea what time the DLC will be available?

I went pure Melee and had the maxed out Pyro Glove, it was amazing. I tried Power Within against Gwyn on NG+ and he totally fucked me constantly, in the end I stopped using it :D

Is the catalyst different to the glove?

I think the DLC will be out regular time, so 5PM GMT for UK/Euro PSN (Wednesday), I guess 10PM ish GMT for US (Tuesday)?

So close to the DLC!

Starting a totally new character for it because I've completed the game so many times, made so many builds - I want to make this one really challenging, so will probably use some odd weapon combination I'm not comfortable with.

Lately been using a Lucerne/target shield/power within build. Target shield is a must, I have parrying down pretty well now in the pre-Lord Vessel part of the game I love it. Lucerne is such a great weapon, I don't know the difference between it and the Halberd but I just like the moveset. The halberd weapons are deceiving when you get them because testing it out the empty attacks stagger and you think "this is crap!" but that stagger only happens when you hit empty space - no stagger with you hit an enemy. Maybe not the best for PvP, but I've done pretty well so far.

Mort

Banned
I went pure Melee and had the maxed out Pyro Glove, it was amazing. I tried Power Within against Gwyn on NG+ and he totally fucked me constantly, in the end I stopped using it :D

Is the catalyst different to the glove?

I think the DLC will be out regular time, so 5PM GMT for UK/Euro PSN (Wednesday), I guess 10PM ish GMT for US (Tuesday)?

No I'm just talking about the Pyromancy flame, but there is a trick to it. The damage increase you receive from Power Within doesn't scale when you upgrade the pyromancy flame. However, the damage you take from Power Within increases when you upgrade the Pyromancy Flame. So if you use Power Within, you want to use a completely unupgraded catalyst. You might also want to use the Lingering Dragon Ring because it spreads the dot out even further to the point where you won't even notice it, but I don't do that.

Ashler

400 hours in this game and I have a feeling that with the new DLC and the prospect of the new PvP area, i'm not playing any other video game anytime soon.

Right, are we keeping this thread, or creating a new OT for the content that is separate from the PC version? There was concerns yesterday about spoilers etc from people playing on PC, and that it would be good for new players to come in and talk about DS from the very beginning.

Any takers? Or happy in here?

Soulhouf

I need to beat the game with my SL1 no upgrade character before the DLC but I'm stuck against Gwyn :(
I guess I will allow myself to summon Solaire for help. It's a shame because I managed to go so far without summoning NPC...

MrWisker

I need to beat the game with my SL1 no upgrade character before the DLC but I'm stuck against Gwyn :(
I guess I will allow myself to summon Solaire for help. It's a shame because I managed to go so far without summoning NPC...

I spent 2 months on a SL1 character and Gywn before finally beating him (now stuck on Nitro in NG+). Dodging and patience ending up being the key for me. Also a bit of luck as well as I would usually end of dying by getting stuck or cornered by a stupid pillar.

I guess you should try to cheese him with a pillar. I managed to get him stuck behind one, giving me much time to recover stamina/health.

MechaX

Tried out the 1.06 patch today. Made me realize how reliant I was on the DWGR because normal rolling is going to take some getting used to.

I would say the changes hit my Darkmoon INT Build the hardest; Can't benefit from flipping in moderate armor (black knight armor) and the Moonlight Greatsword is noticeably slower now even when two-handed. I also used the Moonlight Butterfly Horn as a secondary weapon for shield poking, but the decreased speed for spears while holding spears up was definitely noticeable.

I feel like there is a way to salvage this one (probably just putting on havel's ring and get used to fast rolls as if I were playing Demon's Souls), but I can't think of it ATM. Regardless, I'll probably use this character to go through the DLC even though SL 125 may be a bit high for it.

Sullichin

Yup you get another chance to get your bloodstain, a new one won't appear. And if you do make it to your bloodstain, you can take off the RoS and it won't break.

Oswald (the guy you meet after the gargoyles) sells ten of them for 5,000 souls each.

Cleared my way through Anor Londo. Wasn't too bad. Still trying to get parry timing down on all the Silver Knights. Up to O&S right now.. kinda dreading fighting them.

PS: Where's the best place to grab a summoned helper for these two? The second bonfire?

jimi_dini

I just invaded someone in the catacombs. He was at the 2nd switch. I went to the first switch and used it, so the bridge went back and he was definitely at the 2nd switch. I waited for him to pass the 2nd bridge, instead strangely he backstabbed me somehow.

How is this possible? Homeward bone doesn't work, so how did he manage to get back up there although the bridge was down. Anyone has a clue?

I just invaded someone in the catacombs. He was at the 2nd switch. I went to the first switch and used it, so the bridge went back and he was definitely at the 2nd switch. I waited for him to pass the 2nd bridge, instead strangely he backstabbed me somehow.

How is this possible? Homeward bone doesn't work, so how did he manage to get back up there although the bridge was down. Anyone has a clue?
Are you sure it wasn't Patches at the switch?

jimi_dini

Are you sure it wasn't Patches at the switch?

lol

I even shot the player with a bow. Patches would be semi-invisible. The player was definitely there. He walked down and up to the switch twice, but it was hard to hit him with the bow. I really don't know what happened. It shouldn't have been possible.

krakov

There are two routes from beyond the first bridge that lead up to the first switch.

jimi_dini

There are two routes from beyond the first bridge that lead up to the first switch.

back up? How?

Just read somewhere that there is a path near patches, but I don't know exactly where. The hidden bonfire path doesn't lead out. But yes, there has to be one otherwise one could get stuck there without the lordvessel.

I even got the printed guide and I can't figure it out.

one85x

back up? How?

Just read somewhere that there is a path near patches, but I don't know exactly where. The hidden bonfire path doesn't lead out. But yes, there has to be one otherwise one could get stuck there without the lordvessel.

I even got the printed guide and I can't figure it out.
I believe the path that leads back there is right after the first bridge. There is a room directly on the right that has a collapsible floor which leads to a couple of crystal lizards. If you follow that path, you'll end up back at the controls for the first bridge.

jimi_dini

I believe the path that leads back there is right after the first bridge. There is a room directly on the right that has a collapsible floor which leads to a couple of crystal lizards. If you follow that path, you'll end up back at the controls for the first bridge.

God damn. That's the one.
I played this game maybe around 200 hours or so and that's a path that I never knew about lol. Thank you. Just used it while invading someone.

btw. just had an insane invasion. I'm level 10. I invaded someone maybe around level 30 or 40 or so - maybe even higher - that even had a partner with him. He must have been way higher (did most of the work). They knew I was there and I played cat + mouse with them. If I fought them directly, I wouldn't have had a chance.

I escaped them by going to the blacksmith. Then after that I escaped again by hiding behind the prowling demon. I wounded one of them right there. Then I tricked them into thinking I would stay up there, instead I used the way to the black knight. I made the black knight active and lured him to the path they took (the one with the 2 archers and the fire throwing guy). Well, when the chaos ensued I went in (had around 1/4 health left, because of all the falls). Got the host 1 or 2 times (did minimal damage), then he locked onto me and got 2 shooted by the fire guy from behind (had his back turned to him). It was quite insane. Dark Souls is missing a youtube video capture feature like the one in Just Cause 2.

Soulhouf

You defeated!
Finally I managed to beat Dark Souls SL1 without upgrading my gear.

dssl1na_zps030c7e16.jpg

Gwyn kicked my ass many times so I summoned Solaire and he did it, so all the credits go to him against that boss.

I would like to thank 2AdEPT for the original idea for the challenge. It was very challenging and sometimes even frustrating (I died like 50 times against 4 Kings) but the experience was so unique.

Now I'm ready for the DLC!

Soulhouf

Stunning. I didn't even know you could summon Solaire for Gwyn.

With such low health could he one shot you?

Yes he one shot me many times.

After this run, I'm now convinced that it's impossible to completely ruin your game even if you make big mistakes. There are always a way to get through.
4 Kings and Gwyn were definitely the hardest bosses in the game. I almost killed everything except demon titanite in Sen, Anor Londo, Catacombs and Lost Izalith and the Hydra in Ashe Lake because they are a fucking pain in the ass with that setting.

krakov

Yep. There is also a path from the "hidden room" where you get the darkmoon seance ring that leads back to the top level.

Sullichin

You defeated!
Finally I managed to beat Dark Souls SL1 without upgrading my gear.

dssl1na_zps030c7e16.jpg

Gwyn kicked my ass many times so I summoned Solaire and he did it, so all the credits go to him against that boss.

I would like to thank 2AdEPT for the original idea for the challenge. It was very challenging and sometimes even frustrating (I died like 50 times against 4 Kings) but the experience was so unique.

Now I'm ready for the DLC!

Congrats! Yes, now go get the DLC

As a huge Demon's Souls fan, I bought Dark Souls on PS3 the day it came out. Played it for a few hours, but then life got in the way and I never found the time to really dig in.

Just double-dipped and bought the PC version on Steam- it's downloading now.

I wanna use a mage-type character, so I hopped over to the Wiki to look up some builds. It's overwhelming though, anyone have any advice on good magic character builds?

Also, now that the game's been out a while, any general advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom