• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
My advice for characters on the DLC: start a new character if you've already gotten the Covenant of Artorias (abyss-walking ring). Otherwise do the DLC first before you go after it.

That's all I'm gonna say detail wise.

Post Smough & Ornstein is the best time to tackle the DLC level-wise (SL55-80).

So, do all the DLC before going to see Sif? Is the DLC a fairly linear path you follow?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The answer to your questions is yes. That isn't to say there isn't a lot to explore but it's all fairly linear.

Booshka

Is the 'agreed upon' PvP soul level still 120, or has it been lowered to 100. I can take my character to 100 and have it leveled and geared very well. But at 120, I can be a beast against NG+ and beyond bosses. I'd like to go to 120 so I can do NG+ boss runs and co op, but still PvP with most players, but if level 100 is the new 120, then I'll just stay down there.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So how's the new content? Anything that is obviously OP so far or is everything alright?

Damn, Atorias of the Aybss is pretty tough. That opening boss fight. D: Managed to get through it but definitely didn't expect THAT for an opening.

I downloaded the DLC, did what I needed to do to access it, strolled in thinking "oh, hey, I finally get to explore a new area, I wonder what awesome things await--OH DEAR GOD JESUS HELP ME OH GOD I'm dead...welp, this is definitely Dark Souls."

Love, love, love the new DLC. Boss fights so far have been spectacular (the two I did), there's that mounting terror of "what's around the next corner" that disappears after you're familiar with the main game. Now knowing if you're close to a new bonfire or a shortcut, so you tread super carefully. The scream of terror as a new type of enemy lunges out at you from the darkness. I had a stupid smile on my face the entire time I was playing, even after several stupid deaths.

I can tell I'm From's bitch, whenever the next Souls games comes out I'm going to be all over it, no matter the cost. If they release more DLC I'm all over it, no matter the cost. There is no experience like the Souls game experience.

koryuken

Is the 'agreed upon' PvP soul level still 120, or has it been lowered to 100. I can take my character to 100 and have it leveled and geared very well. But at 120, I can be a beast against NG+ and beyond bosses. I'd like to go to 120 so I can do NG+ boss runs and co op, but still PvP with most players, but if level 100 is the new 120, then I'll just stay down there.

The new PVP level is 100 because of the arena. The arena matchmaking is XX - SL100. SL 101- SL200. So if you were 120, you could fight against SL 200.

Killed the Santuary Guardian on my fourth try, but cut the tail off before my first death. Great boss fight and introduction to the new area - just what I expect from From, a challenge right from the get-go.

Exploring the Royal Wood and the Stone Guardians are kicking my ass. I'm sure once I get their attack patterns down they'll be a breeze, but I'm having to play very cautious around them. The first Scarecrow I encountered got a ripost on and dropped his weapon, oh yeah!

Royal Wood is really pretty and feels HUGE compared to Darkroot Garden. I got invaded, but never saw the invader and they eventually died/suicide jumped. The views to the town below is really nice and fits great with the rest of the game, I just love how you recognise parts of the wood, it's just really well thought out.

I want to just blitz through the whole thing in one sitting, but I'm leaving it for the night, just fell off a cliff rolling back to dodge a Stone Guardian and I'm too scared to brave going to get my bloodstain for now.

Booshka

The new PVP level is 100 because of the arena. The arena matchmaking is XX - SL100. SL 101- SL200. So if you were 120, you could fight against SL 200.

Thanks, good to know. PvP over SL 130 seems idiotic too me, you are able to do too much, or min/max way too hard. SL 100 should be more enjoyable anyway, there will be less crazy weapon buff builds.

I'm still unclear how it matters. At SL1 you can invade someone who's SL245; at SL245 you can get invaded by someone who's SL1. What's special about SL120 besides the fact it was the unwritten PvP cap in Demon's Souls? (Been asking this since launch and have never gotten a good answer.)

Your PvP build should have a SL that's as low as possible; i.e., as low as you can handle it being without getting creamed by your opponents, or as high as it needs to be in order to roll whatever gear & skills you want to roll. If that number is SL1, awesome. If it's SL45, rock & roll. If it's SL120, word up. No further thought truly required like with Demon's Souls.

It also says "You returned to Human" instead of "Humanity Restored". Rad!

The return of the original text is as big a joy as the new DLC for me. "You Defeated" is simply unmatched. On that note, does the OT name need to be changed or will that be for the next version? It needs to change to "Text returned, Namco Bananas defeated" (or something similar) now that the text is back to normal.

I'm still unclear how it matters. At SL1 you can invade someone who's SL245; at SL245 you can get invaded by someone who's SL1. What's special about SL120 besides the fact it was the unwritten PvP cap in Demon's Souls? (Been asking this since launch and have never gotten a good answer.)

Your PvP build should have a SL that's as low as possible; i.e., as low as you can handle it being without getting creamed by your opponents, or as high as it needs to be in order to roll whatever gear & skills you want to roll. If that number is SL1, awesome. If it's SL45, rock & roll. If it's SL120, word up. No further thought truly required like with Demon's Souls.

SL 120 was chosen (although it ended up settling more at 125) because it supplies a suffiicent amount of soul levels so that you can level up: Vitality, Endurance, one attack skill and one buffing skill (or a combination of course) suffiently high that a greater build variety was available than stopping earlier or later would achieve (because earlier than this elemental weapons were too powerful and later than this all builds gradually became the same due to the diminishing returns after level 40 [with more after 50] on a stat). It has now settled to SL100 because the middle arena bracket has an upper limit of SL100 and the highest arena bracket has a limit of 200 (which means if you're going to play in that you shouldn't stop at 120 anyway). With the lowering of the elemental weapons' effectiveness and nerfing of the Dark Wood Grain Ring, SL100 is a sufficient place for a decent build variety. As far as I'm aware, that lack of an invading limit only exists for certain covenants (if I remember correctly a level 3 Darkwraith can invade anybody, any amount of levels higher than him for example) and there is always a limit on how much lower an opponent can be. The dueling stones still require you to be of a similar level, above and below.

koryuken

You are ill informed bro. In Dark Souls you can only invade players that are minus ten soul level from you on the low end, and any level higher than you on the high end. Thus, if you want to get any PvP action, you cannot level too high.

If you are level 245, there will not be anyone around 235-245 to invade, and certainly almost no one higher than 245.

Booshka

I feel 100-120 is the most balanced soul level range for fair duels. You can have 40 Endurance, 40+ Vitality and then focus on one or two offensive skills to fight with. The battles aren't too ridiculous with tons of spells and high scaled buffed weapons, like you get at 150+ ranges but aren't too silly with low HP and elemental weapons at low level ranges.

Invasions can range from anywhere sure, but when players want fair duels, characters within the 100-120 SL range offers the best fights.

koryuken

I feel 100-120 is the most balanced soul level range for fair duels. You can have 40 Endurance, 40+ Vitality and then focus on one or two offensive skills to fight with. The battles aren't too ridiculous with tons of spells and high scaled buffed weapons, like you get at 150+ ranges but aren't too silly with low HP and elemental weapons at low level ranges.

Invasions can range from anywhere sure, but when players want fair duels, characters within the 100-120 SL range offers the best fights.

Once again, it has nothing to do with fair fights. It has to do with how matchmaking and the arena work.

Booshka

Once again, it has nothing to do with fair fights. It has to do with how matchmaking and the arena work.

It has to do with all of those things, there was no arena before the DLC or in Demon's Souls, and the matchmaking/invasion soul level rules isn't the only reasoning behind that soul level being the most common for PvP.

So I started a new character.
Damn you Jackben! :D

Still going with a strength build. Beat the Sanctuary Guardian already we another character. Was easier than I thought it was going to be, BUT THAT DAMN TAIL! Took me forever to figure out how to bait him into leaving he's tail exposed without taking, massive damage or a huge chunk of my stamina. Really enjoyed it though.

Trying to go through this blind as I used the wiki and various FAQs here and there for my first run.
Praise the Sun!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The answer to your questions is yes. That isn't to say there isn't a lot to explore but it's all fairly linear.

Can you say why, on spoiler tags, you should do the dlc before Sif? I just beat him because some said nothing changed othet than a minor variation in the cutscene prior to the fight.

Booshka

I need some PS3 friends btw, just started playing on it. My ID is Booshka_ I'll mostly play Dark Souls, but might play some other games if I get into the library at all. Twisted Metal is one example.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So I started a new character.
Damn you Jackben! :D

Still going with a strength build. Beat the Sanctuary Guardian already we another character. Was easier than I thought it was going to be, BUT THAT DAMN TAIL! Took me forever to figure out how to bait him into leaving he's tail exposed without taking, massive damage or a huge chunk of my stamina. Really enjoyed it though.

Trying to go through this blind as I used the wiki and various FAQs here and there for my first run.
Praise the Sun!
Good man. Just wait until you get through the Royal Woods. You betta praise the sun!

Can you say why, on spoiler tags, you should do the dlc before Sif? I just beat him because some said nothing changed othet than a minor variation in the cutscene prior to the fight.
That's correct. But it's probably the best alternate cutscene in the entire game. Up to you whether you think it's worth starting a new character for I suppose. YMMV.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like this isn't the place if you're looking to go into the new content blind. Already had the "opening" surprise ruined =/

Guess I'll duck out of this (and all DS threads) until I feel I'm done with the new stuff - or until I get incredibly stuck and need a clever hint or two.

That mofo Artorias and his tricksy DLC are ready, waiting for when I get home. Today is gonna be slow...

MechaX

Holy shit, maybe I shouldn't have started the DLC on my NG+ character. Not only are the bosses really beefy, but the bosses must have some insane sorcery defense (or just a shitload of HP).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit, maybe I shouldn't have started the DLC on my NG+ character. Not only are the bosses really beefy, but the bosses must have some insane sorcery defense (or just a shitload of HP).

Shit load of HP, really. Their magic defense and physical defense are both kinda high but it's really a high-HP endurance battle, I feel.

The DLC is kinda weak, it's nice backstory
(what backstory in Dark Souls?)
and it's nice to see Atorias, but it isn't really worth $15, IMO. Most of the DLC is retreaded Darkroot Basin with a few area changes and maybe 2-3 new areas, one of which is good for those that want to hurt themselves playing the crap PvP modes that the Souls series have. :/

Shit load of HP, really. Their magic defense and physical defense are both kinda high but it's really a high-HP endurance battle, I feel.

The DLC is kinda weak, it's nice backstory
(what backstory in Dark Souls?)
and it's nice to see Atorias, but it isn't really worth $15, IMO. Most of the DLC is retreaded Darkroot Basin with a few area changes and maybe 2-3 new areas, one of which is good for those that want to hurt themselves playing the crap PvP modes that the Souls series have. :/

I think it was worth it alone for the boss fights. At least
Sanctuary Guardian and Artorias
are equally as good as S&O and Sif, the two best boss fights in the main game. I just wish the merchants were more interesting and/or had some new items as opposed to just selling the same ol' stuff.

TheSeks

I'm still unclear how it matters.

Invasions are capped at 10% above/below your SL unless you're in the three convent that breaks that cap and that's the DarkWraiths (IIRC) for sins and killing sinners, the forest hunters and the one other "summoned by a ring/NPC matchamaking" convent like it in another area that isn't Darkroot Basin.

Incendiary said:
>>Stuff<<

I absolutely loathe S&O so that isn't a good comparison.

In fact, the
dragon bossfight
is downright stupid with the shitload of HP they have.
Atorias isn't bad
but attacks really fast. I dunno how they compare to
Gwen
the others are mostly forgettable.

And yeah, the lack of new items unless you find the three armor sets or craft the spell/weapons with boss souls is kinda disappointing. Again: Not really worth $15.

MechaX

Man, Artorias is pissing me off at this point. It seems like the nerfs hit all the worst aspects of this character; can't flip so I'm not that speedy (and shield stun makes rolling at times so unsafe), greatsword swinging is slower so I basically have no real opportunity to get him between attacks with the MLGS, and sorceries are so slow that it might as well not even be an option, and his HP is through the rough.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Man, Artorias is pissing me off at this point. It seems like the nerfs hit all the worst aspects of this character; can't flip so I'm not that speedy (and shield stun makes rolling at times so unsafe), greatsword swinging is slower so I basically have no real opportunity to get him between attacks with the MLGS, and sorceries are so slow that it might as well not even be an option, and his HP is through the rough.

Go in light and try to time your dodges to evade his strikes, you'll eventually get the timing to hit him with nearly any melee weapon or maybe a spell or two.

MechaX

Go in light and try to time your dodges to evade his strikes, you'll eventually get the timing to hit him with nearly any melee weapon or maybe a spell or two.

I tried doing that and it really only worked half of the time (his leaping attack always caught me at inconsistent moments). But I did not know that you could just hit him out of his power-up phase, so that solved things tremendously.

Also, the Lord Blade Set is one of the most fantastic looking armor pieces in the entire series.

Socreges

Banned
So if I've just gotten this game, is this where I should be asking questions? Or is this thread filled with spoilers that I wouldn't want to see?

So if I've just gotten this game, is this where I should be asking questions? Or is this thread filled with spoilers that I wouldn't want to see?

Yeah ask away, right from the very start we are here to help! :)

Don't worry about spoilers, most people cover them up, although a few are slipping through still :(

Socreges

Banned
Awesome, good to hear. *pitches tent*

Is there no actual way to pause the game? And what do souls do? Should I care much if I lose the ones I've collected (and am unable to work my way back to the bloodstain)?

That said, the game seems to be doing a decent job answering my questions as I think of them. New situation - > Problem - > Solution scrawled on ground. Gives the game a nice pace, not holding your hand, nor throwing you to the wolves.

Very early impressions: combat seems to have a ton of potential. Everything else is... a bit meh. I'll need more time obviously. I don't think the game will remain as linear as it has been so far. At least I hope not.

Dresden

Awesome, good to hear. *pitches tent*

Is there no actual way to pause the game? And what do souls do? Should I care much if I lose the ones I've collected (and am unable to work my way back to the bloodstain)?

That said, the game seems to be doing a decent job answering my questions as I think of them. New situation - > Problem - > Solution scrawled on ground. Gives the game a nice pace, not holding your hand, nor throwing you to the wolves.

Very early impressions: combat seems to have a ton of potential. Everything else is... a bit meh. I'll need more time obviously. I don't think the game will remain as linear as it has been so far. At least I hope not.

1. No pausing.

2. Souls are used to purchase gear, items, to level up your stats, and to repair, etc. It's the currency for this game.

3. Don't worry about losing souls. Losing them is just a part of the game. That said, spend them as much as you can early on, when you're still getting used to the game. Endurance followed by vitality is your most important stat, when starting out.

^ Just to add to that.

No pausing - but once you've cleared an area or are standing in an area with no enemies nearby, you can leave the game indefinately - unless you get invaded by another player you're safe.

Levelling up - After VIT/END and putting a few around to get up to using a bow etc, try to choose and focus on one main other stat to level up. Souls games aren't where you want to distribute points evenly through your stats - pick one of strength, dex, faith, int and level that up too. Your choice will be tied to your playstyle and character type - Want to use miracles, level up faith. Magic? INT. Big weapons and heavy armour? Strength. Etc.

TheSeks

LMAO. Gwyndolin goes down pretty damn fast with
Black Fire
/one of the DLC magic/pyromancies. Simply rush up to them, cast. Repeat like 4 more times and #dead.

Socreges

Banned
^ Just to add to that.

No pausing - but once you've cleared an area or are standing in an area with no enemies nearby, you can leave the game indefinately - unless you get invaded by another player you're safe.

Levelling up - After VIT/END and putting a few around to get up to using a bow etc, try to choose and focus on one main other stat to level up. Souls games aren't where you want to distribute points evenly through your stats - pick one of strength, dex, faith, int and level that up too. Your choice will be tied to your playstyle and character type - Want to use miracles, level up faith. Magic? INT. Big weapons and heavy armour? Strength. Etc.
Leave the game indefinitely? Like... save the game, you mean? And invaded by another player??

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Leave the game indefinitely? Like... save the game, you mean? And invaded by another player??

Thanks for the responses, guys.
I mean leave the game as is - just put down the controller whilst still playing. If you're in an area with no enemies, or you killed all the enemies around you and ones further in the level aren't aggro'd - you're safe. So no pause, but you can quit to the menu or hang out in such a safe area.

Invasions are part of the online play. When you are in human form you are open to be invaded by other players who will appear in your world as a red or blue phantom and try to kill you. The other side of online play is co-op where you can summon other players to help you (white and orange phantoms).

When you start the game you are hollow - your character looks like a zombie - but if you go to any bonfire and unhollow using one active humanity (the number top left of the HUD) you will go to human form. You cannot be invaded or summon helpers unless you are in human form.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/online

I've just been reading the fantastic Eurogamer article about our lovely Dark Souls and there is something I realised I never experienced, even after getting Platinum trophy and basically seeing everything.

How do you get Gravelorded? So you get the huge red Gravelords hunting you down? And, what are they? NPCs? I did the Gravelord requirements but never saw them!

Soulhouf

OMG DLC get. I made new character from scratch and I'm already there after one session :lol
I almost forgot how does it feel when you explore a new area for the 1st time!
I'm like a kid in a candy store right now.

I've just been reading the fantastic Eurogamer article about our lovely Dark Souls and there is something I realised I never experienced, even after getting Platinum trophy and basically seeing everything.

How do you get Gravelorded? So you get the huge red Gravelords hunting you down? And, what are they? NPCs? I did the Gravelord requirements but never saw them!

Gravelords are a covenant you can make in the Catacombs if you haven't completed Tomb of the Giants yet. Basically, you use Eye of Deaths to place a summon sign into someone else's world that let's them invade you. As long as you're alive, Gravelord Black Phantoms will spawn in their world. So it is usually up to them to either leave the area or invade you to stop the summoning.

OMG DLC get. I made new character from scratch and I'm already there after one session :lol
I almost forgot how does it feel when you explore a new area for the 1st time!
I'm like a kid in a candy store right now.
Same. I forgot what the fear of entering a new unexplored area was like!

The DLC is kicking my ass. The difficulty is definately notched up. The bosses I've faced so far have been exciting and challenging. I've been invaded quite a few times and even the regular enemies I'm having to be careful around.

Just bought the DLC now!!!

What's this about the Abyss Walker ring?

I've already killed Sif and the Four Kings in my NG++ save file, and I AM NOT RESTARTING THE GAME, so can somebody please explain what this is about?

Yay, From ruined my build. Dark Wood Grain Ring has been nerfed and is now useless. Hooray. Hey, look, they also nerfed my fav weapon! For fuck's sake... :(

Socreges

Banned
Thanks, Liquorice.

So... seems like this game allows you to take different directions, some much more difficult than others? So there's that tension of battling very tough enemies... but having greater rewards? If not, then I'm just terrible.

lol, every time I help someone beat the Sanctuary Guardian, we get his life bar down to half then try to go for the tail. XD

Haven't help anyone do it yet though. :[ I should really start messaging before we start the boss. Wish this game had voice chat sometimes.

Think I ran into a GAFer too. Soulhouf I think? Felt bad for the guy we helped, because he kept taking damage while I was just waiting for the tail to go down. At least he got "You Defeated". :]

I came to post this. I just booted up my PS3 version, (after playing the PC version) and realized that one of my characters was Gravelorded! I logged out, and back in, and the red phantoms were still there. So this is going to make it interesting. I wish, I could start a NG with these parameters. Half way through like NG+++ and saw them for the first time.

So, if the game is permanently showing gravelord enemies everywhere, does that mean, that there's a sign somewhere I got to find, or is it just glitched?

Soulhouf

lol, every time I help someone beat the Sanctuary Guardian, we get his life bar down to half then try to go for the tail. XD

Haven't help anyone do it yet though. :[ I should really start messaging before we start the boss. Wish this game had voice chat sometimes.

Think I ran into a GAFer too. Soulhouf I think? Felt bad for the guy we helped, because he kept taking damage while I was just waiting for the tail to go down. At least he got "You Defeated". :]

Yeah that was me.
I'm trying to figure out an effective way to cut that damn tail.

This is the first time I play as a magician, and I still have melee reflexes x)

Sooooooo anybody want to come help me beat the dragon thing in the Depths? Im sick of trying and with my new character, it just doesn't go well! Let me know! (xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom