• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wowbagger

And leaving a message, or even just a rating, costs 100 souls? So these people are spending their souls on this stuff?

It doesn't cost anything, unless the patch changed that and I just haven't noticed yet.

A lot of the time they're really helpful, though. It's a cool little element.

Praise the sun!

edit: if the message picture shows a knight then it's a developer message.

Socreges

Banned
It doesn't cost anything, unless the patch changed that and I just haven't noticed yet.
Yeah I just noticed that. When I bought the item it seemed like it was per use.

Wowbagger said:
Praise the sun!
Is that a reference that I'll understand in time? I see it everywhere and sometimes with high ratings. Same with 'Need humanity' or 'Try humanity' -- is that because when someone uses humanity, other people in the area get one?

[edit] I just used humanity to reverse hollow... left the bonfire... got ready to fight some enemies... and when I tried to run pressed left at the same time and immediately rolled off the cliff.

And that's the second time I've done that.

Himself

Where can I usually find a summon sign for or stein/smough? I can't find any other than the NPC and he just gets walloped by the giants then i get megafucked by OS.

Is soul level 60 generally considered too low for this point in the game?

Where can I usually find a summon sign for or stein/smough? I can't find any other than the NPC and he just gets walloped by the giants then i get megafucked by OS.

Is soul level 60 generally considered too low for this point in the game?

Near the bonfire. Seems like a long trek, but with summons you'll clear through the enemies to the fog gate in no time. Plus if you get invaded there's little to worry about with 1 or more helpers.

Lvl 60 seems about right. Was at Sl 50 when I went there recently. Had no problems finding summon signs. Summoning them, well that's a different story....

Himself

Near the bonfire. Seems like a long trek, but with summons you'll clear through the enemies to the fog gate in no time. Plus if you get invaded there's little to worry about with 1 or more helpers.

Lvl 60 seems about right. Was at Sl 50 when I went there recently. Had no problems finding summon signs. Summoning them, well that's a different story....

Thanks. I've tried at three different times on three separate days and no luck with a single summon. I'm starting to get the hang of the fight and making decent progress, but I'm ready to move on at this point. Just need some backup.

NinjaBoiX

I have a question,
on the Taurus demon fight, if you climb back up the ladder to the circular platform, there is a wooden floor with something visible under it. Can you get him to smash through it? If so, is there any other way? Is it worthwhile?
Cheers.

Wowbagger

Is that a reference that I'll understand in time? I see it everywhere and sometimes with high ratings.

I dunno, lol. It's related to the sunbro covenant, I guess. Never really thought much about it.

Same with 'Need humanity' or 'Try humanity' -- is that because when someone uses humanity, other people in the area get one?

No. You'll get a humanity after killing a certain number of enemies in an area.

I have a question,
on the Taurus demon fight, if you climb back up the ladder to the circular platform, there is a wooden floor with something visible under it. Can you get him to smash through it? If so, is there any other way? Is it worthwhile?
Cheers.

I don't think you can break that floor. If you could, you'd just drop down onto the broken stairs in the room below from which you exited onto the rampart.

Will F

What's the closest bonfire to Pinwheel? I went through the entire Catacombs and only found the first bonfire. I really need to rest....

That's the only one. But you can skip most of the level by jumping down from the bridges on to ledges. It's like the shortcut in 2-2 of Demon's Souls, you can get to pinwheel relatively quickly that way.

That's the only one. But you can skip most of the level by jumping down from the bridges on to ledges. It's like the shortcut in 2-2 of Demon's Souls, you can get to pinwheel relatively quickly that way.

Thanks dude. :)

I just forged ahead into the Tomb of Giants. Found the bonfire near Patches. This place is scary. :(

NBtoaster

I didn't know this game respawned enemies without you dying or using a bonfire. I went from firelink shrine to the undead burg merchant (didn't use a bonfire) and when I came back the firelink enemies had respawned. Learn something new everyday!

Also, back to playing the console version to enjoy the multiplayer :3

Booshka

I didn't know this game respawned enemies without you dying or using a bonfire. I went from firelink shrine to the undead burg merchant (didn't use a bonfire) and when I came back the firelink enemies had respawned. Learn something new everyday!

Also, back to playing the console version to enjoy the multiplayer :3

I have both the PS3 and 360 version, so if you wanna do some jolly cooperation or friendly duels, hit me up. 360 GT is Booshka, and on PSN it's Booshka_

I have characters from 60-290 on Xbox, and a level 100 and like 10 on PS3, my 100 is a Dex build, and the 10 is going to be a level 100 Large Club faith build, any help getting it built would be appreciated.

Soulhouf

OMG Kalameet. He kicked my ass many times. Is there a way to cut off his tail when you fight him alone? That's what I call an epic boss fight.
I didn't expect to have a more epic boss fight than Artorias, but they did it.
These 2 are definitely my favorite bosses in the entire game.

Himself

Dudes...Ornstein and Smough...

I've been fighting these guys for a week. Even went in with two phantoms who got whupped. I'm running out of humanity, only found a phatom to summon about 2 of the 15-20 times ive attempted fighting them. The run from the bonfire to the boss fight is incredibly tedious. NPC summon isn't much help. Getting ready to throw the towel in.

Booshka

I've been fighting these guys for a week. Even went in with two phantoms who got whupped. I'm running out of humanity, only found a phatom to summon about 2 of the 15-20 times ive attempted fighting them. The run from the bonfire to the boss fight is incredibly tedious. NPC summon isn't much help. Getting ready to throw the towel in.

What level are you? Throw down your summon sign and help others until you get better at fighting them, then try to tackle it in your game.

Forkball

These guys made me pull my hair out too and I took a break from the game because they infuriated me to no end. Here are my tips:

1. Go do other stuff. This sounds silly, but you need to put them on the backburner. There is still a ton of stuff you can check out. Darkroot Garden, Painted World, Return to the Asylum, upgrading weapons/armor, getting humanity from the rats in the Depths/Firelink. Did you get the Firekeeper Soul in New Londo Ruins? It's a suicide run but you can get it and upgrade your Estus.

2. There is actually a shortcut to the boss from the Solaire bonfire. Did you fight a Silver Knight guarding a chest with Silver Knight armor? If so, you can access the door to that room on the same floor as the bonfire and it will lead you to the main hall very quickly with little to no enemies. I had no idea about this until phantoms showed me the way.

3. Summon phantoms. It took me two tries for this because the mage guy I summoned got instakilled by standing around doing nothing during the fight (he redeemed himself in the next fight). People are going to tell you "oh if you do this you can easily take them on without any phantoms just blah blah blah." Don't listen to them, cheese this fight as hard as you can. Look at who you're summoning. I recommend getting someone who looks kinda like a mage and a warrior. Your goal is to stay away from the boss, let them do damage, while you get in some cheap hits and pop Estus to heal your party.

I almost fainted from joy after I beat them.

OMG Kalameet. He kicked my ass many times. Is there a way to cut off his tail when you fight him alone? That's what I call an epic boss fight.
I didn't expect to have a more epic boss fight than Artorias, but they did it.
These 2 are definitely my favorite bosses in the entire game.

Amen, sunbro. Kalameet is my #1 boss in Dark Souls. The build-up to the fight, the arena, the music, his moveset, everything just made this fight feel like the most epic thing in the game.

Himself

What level are you? Throw down your summon sign and help others until you get better at fighting them, then try to tackle it in your game.

Good idea, never thought of that. Level 60.

These guys made me pull my hair out too and I took a break from the game because they infuriated me to no end. Here are my tips:

1. Go do other stuff. This sounds silly, but you need to put them on the backburner. There is still a ton of stuff you can check out. Darkroot Garden, Painted World, Return to the Asylum, upgrading weapons/armor, getting humanity from the rats in the Depths/Firelink. Did you get the Firekeeper Soul in New Londo Ruins? It's a suicide run but you can get it and upgrade your Estus.

2. There is actually a shortcut to the boss from the Solaire bonfire. Did you fight a Silver Knight guarding a chest with Silver Knight armor? If so, you can access the door to that room on the same floor as the bonfire and it will lead you to the main hall very quickly with little to no enemies. I had no idea about this until phantoms showed me the way.

3. Summon phantoms. It took me two tries for this because the mage guy I summoned got instakilled by standing around doing nothing during the fight (he redeemed himself in the next fight). People are going to tell you "oh if you do this you can easily take them on without any phantoms just blah blah blah." Don't listen to them, cheese this fight as hard as you can. Look at who you're summoning. I recommend getting someone who looks kinda like a mage and a warrior. Your goal is to stay away from the boss, let them do damage, while you get in some cheap hits and pop Estus to heal your party.

I almost fainted from joy after I beat them.

1). There are only two Or three areas I know of that o haven't explored yet and I'm honestly ready to give the game a break and come back in a few months with a different character. I'm just trying to finish this one ASAP. I need a break from this game. I let my frustration get the better of me last night and used all the boss souls I had been saving just for a little stat boost. Might have to farm some humanity though, so thanks for the rat tip.

2).
I'm currently using the first bonfire in Anor London as my home base. I'll go to the other one. I believe I know the shortcut you're referring to.

3). Maybe I'll have better luck summoning phantoms at the other bonfire. There are none in sight at the first bonfire.

Thanks!

Himself

OS down! Moved to the other bonfire, summoned two badasses and killed em. Wooo! This was the only fight in either souls game where I absolutely needed phantoms to help out.

Socreges

Banned
Hmmm is it possible to sell weapons or should I just be dropping the poor ones? I've been putting them in the bottomless box but there's no point if they'll never serve any purpose.

Loving the combat.

EasyMode

Hmmm is it possible to sell weapons or should I just be dropping the poor ones? I've been putting them in the bottomless box but there's no point if they'll never serve any purpose.

Loving the combat.

Just put them in the box. You can sell them to someone later on, but the amount of souls you get for them is very low.

Finished the downloadable content earlier on and I felt it was outstanding and that it is, without a doubt, my favourite area within the game. The biggest problem I had resided in the
Oolacile Township
area after the second boss where I felt the standard enemies did not pose enough of a threat, especially when the enemies that precede this are taken into account. The spellcasters were slightly more challenging than the melee users but overall I felt the difficulty of the enemies in this area wasn't high enough. The entire DLC, as with the base game, is designed marvellously well and it was a joy to explore a new intricately connected world. I felt the areas flowed better here than in the main game, transitioning in such away that it didn't feel odd that one area was connected to the previous one but in this sense the DLC probably benefits from its small size. The real saving grace of the downloadable content comes in the form of its bosses however with (optional boss)
Kalameet
(despite, in my opinion, not posing as much of a threat as I would have liked) and (second boss in the DLC)
Artorias
(who I must admit I had great difficulty with and, for me, is the best boss fight in the game) consisting of my favourite moments in the entire game, justifying the price of the downloadable content alone for me. The one boss I was slightly disappointed with was the final boss of the downloadable content who, despite having a large amount of life, does not pose much of a threat due to the extremely slow start up time of every attack in his disposal (even so, it is an enjoyable fight but I feel it could have been more enjoyable if he was more of a threat). Finally, the addition of a hard mode (specifics)
via the addition of the Calamity Ring
was a very good choice in my opinion. I just wish the Bottomless Box glitch was still included so that this could be utilised from the very beginning of a fresh playthrough.

Overall I absolutely adored the downloadable content and I started it again on another character immediately after finishing it.

EDIT: Exr, that's because the patch contains the downloadable content, hence the size of 319MB (or at least I imagine it contains the DLC so as not to break the online play) and then the actual downloadable content is simply an unlock code (since it has already been downloaded).

Hindle

Banned
Does this new DLC have achievements? I'll still buy it but if it doesn't have them then it will be something I pick up at a later date.

Hindle

Banned

Don't give up dude. This is a real back to the wall fight, it will take everything you have.

Socreges

Banned
So I just summoned someone for the first time and was immediately invaded by someone far, far stronger than either of us. The guy was even able to hit me with his sword from several feet away. Didn't make any sense.

Is this a common thing? An invader is supposed to be within 10 levels, I think, but there's no way he was anywhere near my level. The weirdest thing is that the loser was making some weird demon voice through his mic, haha.

Eccocid

I guess it is the best place to ask;

I am at ng+ around level 100. Right before entering to Sen's Fortress.
I downloaded the patch and bought DLC. But is there any sign that game has unlocked it? I was expecting a new title screen etc.

And should i start form beginning for DLC? Can i just enter from my old game...IS level 100 too high for that area?

EasyMode

So I just summoned someone for the first time and was immediately invaded by someone far, far stronger than either of us. The guy was even able to hit me with his sword from several feet away. Didn't make any sense.

Is this a common thing? An invader is supposed to be within 10 levels, I think, but there's no way he was anywhere near my level. The weirdest thing is that the loser was making some weird demon voice through his mic, haha.

There's a lot of low level invaders with late game equipment. I don't know what they get out of beating up on people that don't stand a chance (well actually I do). There's a few items that when used say phrases like "I'm sorry!" He might have been using that, I know invaders are partial to it.

What level were you and where were you invaded?

Anteater

ever since the patch i'm getting these drops I can't pick up :eek:

APcuw.jpg

Socreges

Banned
There's a lot of low level invaders with late game equipment. I don't know what they get out of beating up on people that don't stand a chance (well actually I do). There's a few items that when used say phrases like "I'm sorry!" He might have been using that, I know invaders are partial to it.
But... how? Don't you need high attributes to use late game equipment?

EasyMode

Usually it's just the huge weapons that require a lot of stat investment to use, plus two-handing lowers the strength requirement. Whatever he was using was probably fully upgraded along with the rest of his gear.

Booshka

Min/maxing stats and perfecting builds. Having the exact skills needed and equip load for specific gear, then focusing on becoming an expert at that specific build. If you only level a few skills and completely ignore the rest, you can focus on high level spells or high level melee weapons and not bother with anything else. Also, putting just enough points into Strength to two hand weapons, as opposed to going all the way to the 1 hand requirement, can save you a lot of levels. Most PvP is fought 2 Handing your weapon anyway.

Eccocid said:
I guess it is the best place to ask;

I am at ng+ around level 100. Right before entering to Sen's Fortress.
I downloaded the patch and bought DLC. But is there any sign that game has unlocked it? I was expecting a new title screen etc.

And should i start form beginning for DLC? Can i just enter from my old game...IS level 100 too high for that area?
I would stay at level 100, it's the standard PvP level for the Arena areas in the DLC. Even if you don't care about PvP you will see a lot of activity-summon signs and invasions, and it is a perfectly fine level for difficulty. If you want it to be more of a challenge then you can start a new character, but the DLC seems tailored for level 75+.

Anteater

son of a bitch, killed all the frogs in the depths but somehow got killed by a few rats at a corner when I'm looking for my way out, fml.

will fight the ugly dragon tomorrow, hopefully blighttown isn't too bad at lvl1 with the poison shits.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
A lot of it is due to exploits that console users took advantage of allowing them to move items on their high level characters onto their low level characters by using the Bottomless Box item. Lots of tutorials appeared up on YouTube about it, casual and hardcore console players alike taking advantage of the exploit to make the game easier or transfer items between characters. Same as dragon-head glitchers, the console version of Dark Souls has been plagued with exploits and hacks since day 1 but a lot of it has gotten better, just a shame that a lot of console players didn't want to beat the game with skill, the honest way.

Fortunately the major glitches/exploits are fixed for the PC version and should be patched out in the current console version whether you have the DLC or not.

Eccocid

Have they fixed the exploit to earn easy exp at forest? Ya know you agro those guys in the forest run to the edge of cliff and then they fall.

Booshka

A lot of it is due to exploits that console users took advantage of allowing them to move items on their high level characters onto their low level characters by using the Bottomless Box item. Lots of tutorials appeared up on YouTube about it, casual and hardcore console players alike taking advantage of the exploit to make the game easier or transfer items between characters. Same as dragon-head glitchers, the console version of Dark Souls has been plagued with exploits and hacks since day 1 but a lot of it has gotten better, just a shame that a lot of console players didn't want to beat the game with skill, the honest way.

Fortunately the major glitches/exploits are fixed for the PC version and should be patched out in the current console version whether you have the DLC or not.

Bottomless box glitching wasnt really a problem for being cheap, outside of duping items that shouldn't be duped (slabs, divine blessings). If you are going to get really into PvP, you probably know the main game backwards and front and have gotten all the loot and spells legit many times on multiple playthroughs.

When you just want to make new builds for PvP the bottomless box glitch was invaluable, it's not so much about making it easy or exploiting, just about saving you tons of time. It can take 20-30 hours to legitimately build a character in Dark Souls. If you want to have multiple characters and experiment, that is just way too much time to have to spend on getting that character built. Especially when you've already done it legit plenty of times.

Most PvP players had the skill to make twink builds and run through the game amassing all they need to get their build, but not all of us had the time or interest. When you just want to PvP, having to play through the game over and over can be tiresome.

is the game dead on ps3 or something? trying to get summoned at lvl 100 seems hopeless.. been waiting at O&S for ages, redropping my sign many times.. :(

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
what is this patch exactly... is there info somewhere? Is it just a DLC primer?

nvm found the patch notes.

Booshka

is the game dead on ps3 or something? trying to get summoned at lvl 100 seems hopeless.. been waiting at O&S for ages, redropping my sign many times.. :(

The main game seems a little dead, most people are playing the DLC it seems. There are still tons of Japanese players playing though, you just have to be on late at night. I was getting summoned within a minute for an hour last night, shit was crazy

I would try putting your sign down in the DLC areas if you have it.

Booshka

I wish they would let you spectate the rest of the boss battle after you die as phantom, I'm usually so invested in the fight that I would love to see if the other 2 or 1 are able to pull it off after I die. Food for thought for the next Souls game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom