• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyMode

For those trying to get Sanctuary Guardian's
tail, the best time is when he does that flying dive attack. Roll to the side to avoid it, break lock-on, and hit the end of the tail with a vertical chop.

Just bought the DLC now!!!

What's this about the Abyss Walker ring?

I've already killed Sif and the Four Kings in my NG++ save file, and I AM NOT RESTARTING THE GAME, so can somebody please explain what this is about?

Yay, From ruined my build. Dark Wood Grain Ring has been nerfed and is now useless. Hooray. Hey, look, they also nerfed my fav weapon! For fuck's sake... :(

Bumpetty bumpetty bump! Also, where is the DLC? How do I access it?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If you refuse to start a new file or start NG+ before doing the DLC, don't worry about it. It's not major just a nice extra.

You can access the DLC after saving Princess Dusk and killing the Crystal Golem just inside Duke's Archives. From there, proceed to the area where you first fought the golden golem that held Dusk.

Socreges

Banned
Is it worth spending souls at the merchant or is it better to use found items instead and use the souls to level up?

Also, the item that let's you write... can it only be purchased or will I eventually come across it?

Is it worth spending souls at the merchant or is it better to use found items instead and use the souls to level up?

Also, the item that let's you write... can it only be purchased or will I eventually come across it?
Depends. Low level better for levels, though getting items like the bottomless box or repair and smithing kit are worth it.

And it's the orange soapstone, you buy it from the undead merchant in Undead Parish

If you refuse to start a new file or start NG+ before doing the DLC, don't worry about it. It's not major just a nice extra.

You can access the DLC after saving Princess Dusk and killing the Crystal Golem just inside Duke's Archives. From there, proceed to the area where you first fought the golden golem that held Dusk.

But what exactly is that extra? You can tell me I don't mind spoilers.

Anyway, went and killed the Hydra to get Dusk and got the pendant and voilá, here I am. 1 min in and I'm already ridiculously overwhelmed, ahah!
This sanctuary guardian guy is incredibly hard! At least on NG++ at SL125. My god, dude... 2 hits and I'm dead!

I also feel like I can't even play the damn game now, Dark Wood ring was my bread and butter, paired with Paladin's Set. Now that it's been nerfed medium armors are too slow to use and light ones are a joke against NG++ bosses. I feel incredibly inadequate, ahah! I guess the real Dark Souls starts here, am I right? :p

Sadly no :(

What would be the best way to go about it with a level 29 sorcerer? I had no problem with my last melee character, but with my new guy one tail swipe and I'm dead

Just keep that shield up and keep dodging his attacks. When he does that lunging attack that makes him get "stuck" to the ground for a few seconds, that's when you dive in for the kill. Couldn't be easier, really!

MechaX

Anyway, went and killed the Hydra to get Dusk and got the pendant and voilá, here I am. 1 min in and I'm already ridiculously overwhelmed, ahah!
This sanctuary guardian guy is incredibly hard! At least on NG++ at SL125. My god, dude... 2 hits and I'm dead!

I also feel like I can't even play the damn game now, Dark Wood ring was my bread and butter, paired with Paladin's Set. Now that it's been nerfed medium armors are too slow to use and light ones are a joke against NG++ bosses. I feel incredibly inadequate, ahah! I guess the real Dark Souls starts here, am I right? :p

I pretty much felt the same exact way (I'm going through the DLC on my SL 125 NG+ Sorc build). Apparently, the defense of the bosses do not change too much in NG cycles, but their attack goes through the roof and the doubled HP literally makes them complete tanks. I swear some of these bosses are just input reading for Estus Flasks; Artorias managed to have a perfect counter every time I even though about drinking the flask. And trying to adjust to the roll after a year of flipping is just... whoa. At this point, I'm just going the DeS route of using extremely light equipment and making damn sure to start learning boss and enemy patterns.

I pretty much felt the same exact way (I'm going through the DLC on my SL 125 NG+ Sorc build). Apparently, the defense of the bosses do not change too much in NG cycles, but their attack goes through the roof and the doubled HP literally makes them complete tanks. I swear some of these bosses are just input reading for Estus Flasks; Artorias managed to have a perfect counter every time I even though about drinking the flask. And trying to adjust to the roll after a year of flipping is just... whoa. At this point, I'm just going the DeS route of using extremely light equipment and making damn sure to start learning boss and enemy patterns.

Same. I just fully upgraded a complete black leather set and slapped on Havel's Ring so I can still use my weapons (I'm a pure STR build, so all my weapons are really heavy, I need Havel's ring to be below 25% even if I'm naked lol)... have to get used to the game all over again, lol.

Here's hoping the DLC's awesome!

Also, is it just me or has the BKGA been severely nerfed? It was my fav PvE weapon! :(

MechaX

Holy shit, after 30 minutes of dodging this boss's attacks, I finally got the Obsidian Greatsword (which is a misnomer since it is seemingly a great axe, albeit with a greatsword moveset). Jesus, this was more of a nightmare to get than Seath's tail with this build (only just barely) since its tail is only vulnerable when it does two attacks (one of which required really specific spacing and the other required me to be in the exact right position or else I would have lost my chance in seconds). I homeward bone'd my ass directly out of that boss battle right when I cut off the tail too. That boss is going to face the full fury of my sorceries when I get back to his bitch ass...

Of course, I can't even really use the Obsidian Greatsword with this build, but eh, I'll take another tail weapon for my collection.

Also, is it just me or has the BKGA been severely nerfed? It was my fav PvE weapon! :(

Yeah, I think next to the Mom Mask and the DWGR, the BKGA was pretty high on FROM's nerf list.

I swear some of these bosses are just input reading for Estus Flasks; Artorias managed to have a perfect counter every time I even though about drinking the flask. And trying to adjust to the roll after a year of flipping is just... whoa. At this point, I'm just going the DeS route of using extremely light equipment and making damn sure to start learning boss and enemy patterns.
Haha, I felt the same way too about healing during the Artorias fight. I had to summon in the end I was carrying too many souls to lose.

Reading all the woes of DWGR users makes me glad I dropped using it way back in favour of the fast roll. Heavy armour is off-limits, but the roll is worth it.

Dunno which thread to post this in but according to this eurogamer article gravelording only works in ng+ and beyond
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-25-becoming-the-dark-soul

mind blown if true
I read that about Gravelording I think on the DeS wiki forums and wondered if it was true too.

Come to think of it, the only time I really remember getting gravelorded myself was when I was working through the NG+'s and I forget if it was + or ++ or +++ etc, but I remember it being my first time and having Anor Londo completely overrun by BP Silver Knights - before that I'd never seen them.

Now I think about all the times I did a suicide run to Nito at the start of the game just to join the covenant and all for nought!

Artorias is "You Defeated"!

Only took five tries. But man did he kick my ass those first few tries. Really awesome fight. Liking this DLC so far, and exploring every nook and cranny. Wish I had gone in completely blind for the main game. Not knowing what to expect is making this far more enjoyable.

Soulhouf

Is it me or 4 Kings regained their glory pre 1.05 patch?
I find that they respawn much faster since the last update.

BTW I really like the balance they did. Ninjas does not flip with heavy weapons/heavy armor. Now that feels right.
Also, this is the first time I see an enchanted weapon+5 surpasses a lightning+5 with only 28 int. Hallelujah that path of upgrade is no longer useless.

BTW I really like the balance they did. Ninjas does not flip with heavy weapons/heavy armor. Now that feels right.

The only problem with that is... Medium armors are now completely useless! Heavies trump mediums in every single way now. Also, the DWG ring is now essentially useless as well, it's become a cosmetic item, as that extra invulnerability isn't enough to justify taking up a ring slot...

Soulhouf

The only problem with that is... Medium armors are now completely useless! Heavies trump mediums in every single way now. Also, the DWG ring is now essentially useless as well, it's become a cosmetic item, as that extra invulnerability isn't enough to justify taking up a ring slot...

You have medium rolling for medium armors, fat rolling with heavy armors and fast rolling with ninja flip if you put the ring with light armor/naked.
It's a fair distribution and you have to make tough decisions now. Defense or mobility or a balance in-between? You can't have everything like it used to.

Got a dilemma that google isn't quite clarifying. So, I was gifted 800ms points to an old account (silver). Dark Souls DLC being 1200 points, I'd only need to add another 400. The problem is, all my DS saves are on my other account. If I buy the DLC on that old unused account, will I be able to play it on my main tag. Both tags are on the same console. I'd appreciate any input on this issue.

Dyno

I have to say it feels real good to read all of this DWGR whining! The Real Dark Souls starts here, eh bitches! You wanna flip like a ninja? Well now you gotta dress like one, Cheese Knights! I lost my chance to get that ring so I've been playing like a real man from day one! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Had a great time last night helping people through The Depths. My sign was picked up easy from Levels 35 to 45. This is my first Dex. build character and I am loving the uchigatana and the estoc as my go-to weapons.

Prison_Mike said:
Sooooooo anybody want to come help me beat the dragon thing in the Depths? Im sick of trying and with my new character, it just doesn't go well! Let me know! (xbox)

The key to Gaping Dragon is that you spend half the fight far away from him, close in to get a hit or two, and then go way back out. So it's a fight of patience. When you disengage from GD you can avoid all damage while he charges into a wall. Get in for only a couple wacks, then use the rest of the time to get far away again. If you try to get lots of hits in then he will strike you back and it can be devastating.

This is also a prime summoning fight. With two people the GD aggro can be easily passed back and forth.

You have medium rolling for medium armors, fat rolling with heavy armors and fast rolling with ninja flip if you put the ring with light armor/naked.
It's a fair distribution and you have to make tough decisions now. Defense or mobility or a balance in-between? You can't have everything like it used to.

The idea is that the medium roll is not good enough to justify the loss of defense from heavy armor nor the loss of mobility from light armor. It's usually a good idea to specialize in either defense or mobility, trying to satisfy both with medium armors you just end up missing out on both, you can't reliably get out of harm's way when the attack is too strong for you to tank, and you take a whole lot more damage when you get hit by those attacks.

It's pretty funny actually, I downloaded the patch and loaded my stock PVP character with full giant armor, flip ring and mask of father. The very first thing I did was press the roll button, and my character went *splat and did a hilarious fat man roll, the nerf hit hard.

mattp

i'm on my ng+ about to go to blighttown
dex build w/ a +15 iaito
so i prefer/need light to medium armor

anyone have suggestions for an armor set?
when i played through the game last year i got overwhelmed trying to find a good armor set, got impatient and just said fuck it and leveled up a silver knight set cuz i didn't care and it was good enough to just finish the game

but i think i should take the time to get better armor now. io just don't know what's best when upgraded and im lazy. this is where you come in ;)

edit: i use havel's ring to up my weight max, and am willing to use a ring slot to keep it if it means heavier armor

I bought the DLC earlier today and had to decide whether I should push on with my only character (NG+, SL96) or roll a new one. I decided to start over and thank god it was a lot easier than the first time around. I also decided to make use of summons, which made it very simple - I am afraid I failed to pick up loot as we were rushing to the bosses. Obviously, I also helped out to beat some bosses as well, still feels good. On my way to The Depths now.

Lots of skilled players, with gear that I would not expect at such a low level - having some weird katana in the Undead Burg ?! Probably people that have gone through the game a lot before and are also starting over for the DLC.

The game seems to feel more alive than before (I last played it in May). Ghost players everywhere and I got regular flashes (+1 flask) for lit bonfires and the sound of ringing bells. I had the choice of half a dozen summon signs and I usually got summoned myself within a few minutes at most. Hope it keeps up!

For some reason, I decided to upgrade my gear only, rather than SL (only for the skill requirements) Is there a drawback to this? I figure I can easily catch up later?

But that's the thing though... heavy armors dont mean fat rolling, at 40 endurance with havel's you can wear full giant's set+5, with a heavy weapon and shield and still be under 50% burden. So what's the point in wearing a medium armor set at this point? They were only relevant because of DWG ring. Because DWG ring basically meant you retained light armor's agility but with slightly more defense.

OT but what the hell. Has any Dark Souls lovers played Dragons Dogma? Just wondering what you guys thought of it? Sounds like interesting but not too sure about it without finding out a little more.

OT but what the hell. Has any Dark Souls lovers played Dragons Dogma? Just wondering what you guys thought of it? Sounds like interesting but not too sure about it without finding out a little more.

Loved everything about the game, other than actually playing it. I know it doesn't make any sense, but that's how I feel about it. =P

NinjaBoiX

I'm absolutely loving this game, but I'm struggling a little.
I killed the asylum demon, then made my way to the undead burg. I killed the Taurus demon, but didn't manage to get him to break the wooden panel on top of the tower. I guess I should've done. Anyway, I kicked down the ladder to the bonfire at the undead burg, and did the grinding trick where the dragon toastes the dudes for an hour or so. I've now got health, strength, dexterity and agility (?) up to level 20, and the rest at level 13 or so. Where should I head next? Blighttown? New londo? I need to ring the two bells right?

Please don't hold back on info, I don't really care about spoilers! Any help is appreciated.

Regarding your question on the first boss fight, you are fine - he is not suppose to do anything other than dying at your hands.

Where to go next? From the bonfire (with the kicked-down ladder), you can access an area that leads under the roasted bridge (if you see three annoying rats you are in the right direction...). That would be my first next step. Don't try to go up the spiral staircase (well, maybe once to learn your place).

I killed the asylum demon, then made my way to the undead burg. I killed the Taurus demon, but didn't manage to get him to break the wooden panel on top of the tower. I guess I should've done. Anyway, I kicked down the ladder to the bonfire at the undead burg, and did the grinding trick where the dragon toastes the dudes for an hour or so. I've now got health, strength, dexterity and agility (?) up to level 20, and the rest at level 13 or so. Where should I head next? Blighttown? New londo? I need to ring the two bells right?

Please don't hold back on info, I don't really care about spoilers! Any help is appreciated.

Yep you need to ring the two bells. Go for the one in Undead Burg first, it's easier. After that head to Depths, which takes you to Blighttown, which in turn allows you to ring the second bell.

What soul level are people who have finished fighting (second DLC boss)
Artorias
? I'm level 56 right now I think (maybe slightly less) and the previously mentioned boss is absolutely destroying me. I do about 70HP worth of damage with every swing of a Balder's Side Sword +10 or 77HP with a Lightning Washing Pole +4 and I'm barely touching their life bar. With only 28 VIT he's obliterating me in one or two hits (I'd imagine he's taking off 90% off my HP in one attack and if the boss hits me once and I survive, without an Estus I won't survive the next attack [and I'm not going to use anymore than a bonfire reinforced once]). I can get him down to about 40% of his life bar remaining (I'm under 25% equip load by the way) but at this stage I always end up messing something up and have to chug Estus Flasks to survive a few more seconds. I'd rather not any massive spoilers as I've been playing the DLC blind (and will continue to do so after this) but I'm just wondering if I'm too underpowered at the moment to fight him properly or if I just need to practice actually rolling more (the timing difference has really thrown me off).

EDIT: On that note, this boss is also my favourite thus far in the game (and I'm undecided as to whether it's my favourite boss fight in the Soul series). The boss reminds me of (suggests how the fight is and the name of the second DLC boss)
Flamelurker, False King Allant, and Gwyn (without riposting) and although I never had much difficult with those bosses Artorias is shredding me.
For now, I'll blame it on my low level and the roll messing up my timing I've acquired via the use of the flip :p.

What soul level are people who have finished fighting (second DLC boss)
Artorias
? I'm level 56 right now I think (maybe slightly less) and the previously mentioned boss is absolutely destroying me. I do about 70HP worth of damage with every swing of a Balder's Side Sword +10 or 77HP with a Lightning Washing Pole +4 and I'm barely touching their life bar. With only 28 VIT he's obliterating me in one or two hits (I'd imagine he's taking off 90% off my HP in one attack and if the boss hits me once and I survive, without an Estus I won't survive the next attack [and I'm not going to use anymore than a bonfire reinforced once]). I can get him down to about 40% of his life bar remaining (I'm under 25% equip load by the way) but at this stage I always end up messing something up and have to chug Estus Flasks to survive a few more seconds. I'd rather not any massive spoilers as I've been playing the DLC blind (and will continue to do so after this) but I'm just wondering if I'm too underpowered at the moment to fight him properly or if I just need to practice actually rolling more (the timing difference has really thrown me off).

EDIT: On that note, this boss is also my favourite thus far in the game (and I'm undecided as to whether it's my favourite boss fight in the Soul series). The boss reminds me of (suggests how the fight is and the name of the second DLC boss)
Flamelurker, False King Allant, and Gwyn (without riposting) and although I never had much difficult with those bosses Artorias is shredding me.
For now, I'll blame it on my low level and the roll messing up my timing I've acquired via the use of the flip :p.

Yeah, just keep on practicing the timing on your rolls. The only one I still had difficulty with after dying 5+ times to was his long range leap. Out of curiosity, are you knocking him out of his power-up move?

NinjaBoiX

Yep you need to ring the two bells. Go for the one in Undead Burg first, it's easier. After that head to Depths, which takes you to Blighttown, which in turn allows you to ring the second bell.
So where do I go for the top bell?
The Dragon has the ladder exit covered. The only other way I can see to go, is down the circular staircase instead of up to the Taurus demon. And the big metal dude at the bottom is nails. Is that where I need to go?

EasyMode

The Dragon has the ladder exit covered. The only other way I can see to go, is down the circular staircase instead of up to the Taurus demon. And the big metal dude at the bottom is nails. Is that where I need to go?

You can go
underneath the bridge that the dragon is protecting. There's a doorway near the ladder you kicked down.
That will lead you towards the upper bell.

For the first bell, you need to progress to
Undead Parish. From the bonfire, climb up the ladder attached to the wall at the right-hand side of the door; you will arrive under de bridge that is being torched by the dragon. If you progress through this level, you will arrive at a building that contains the first bell at the top.
. If you encounter a
Mecha Boar
you are heading in the right direction. Also, to make life easier:
the path on the right of this building leads to a bonfire and a blacksmith.

Yeah, just keep on practicing the timing on your rolls. The only one I still had difficulty with after dying 5+ times to was the boss's long range leap. Out of curiosity, are you knocking the boss out of their power-up move?

Ok, this explains it then. Everytime the boss has used it I've retreated since it appears to act like Wrath of the Gods. This is where the major problem is occuring as, following this, it's a guaranteed one hit kill on my character. I can dodge most moves rather well, it's just the short range of the Balder Side Sword which require me to have to move in a bit closer to him after dodging, at which stage he has almost recovered and I can only get a single hit in before he recovers. I should probably use Pyromancy but I'd rather continue as I have been for a few more attempts at least. Thanks for the help.

Ok, this explains it then. Everytime the boss has used it I've retreated since it appears to act like Wrath of the Gods. This is where the major problem is occuring as, following this, it's a guaranteed one hit kill on my character. I can dodge most moves rather well, it's just the short range of the Balder Side Sword which require me to have to move in a bit closer to him after dodging, at which stage he has almost recovered and I can only get a single hit in before he recovers. I should probably use Pyromancy but I'd rather continue as I have been for a few more attempts at least. Thanks for the help.

It takes a few hits to actually stagger him out of it, so be sure to two-hand your sword when going for it. I know when I tried, I only got the stagger right before the explosion would have come out.

It takes a few hits to actually stagger him out of it, so be sure to two-hand your sword when going for it. I know when I tried, I only got the stagger right before the explosion would have come out.

Well, I want to thank you for your help. I upgraded the Side Sword and it did 133 HP of damage to the boss per attack, almost doubling in power, and, after knocking him out of the blast ,I beat him on my first try after returning from the blacksmith. Thanks for the help. I wish I hadn't upgraded the sword though, it became almost too easy after that , not that I'm complaining :p.

Need some help with a certain NPC.
Found the lord blade, and wondering if I should give her the soul of Artorias or just keep it for myself. Would it effect anything?

Found the lord blade, and wondering if I should give her the soul of Artorias or just keep it for myself. Would it effect anything?

Keep it. She gives you her weapons, but you can just kill her for her weapons AND armor. Do it immediately too, because she disappears on the next reload no matter how you answer.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

If you give it to her:
She will give you her twin blades, two fast attack weapons with a flashy special attack animation and the ability to poison.

If you don't give it to her:
She will get depressed and be gone the next time you enter the area. However you can kill her for both blades and her armor (unique and unobtainable any other way) and still use the soul to craft the Abyss Greatsword

Not giving it to her is the best option for a non-morality / completionist playthrough.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm keeping it for myself. :]

Just got to the
Chasm of the Abyss
. This Place is scary as hell. Maybe I should go back for a sunlight maggot....

NinjaBoiX

You can go
underneath the bridge that the dragon is protecting. There's a doorway near the ladder you kicked down.
That will lead you towards the upper bell.

For the first bell, you need to progress to
Undead Parish. From the bonfire, climb up the ladder attached to the wall at the right-hand side of the door; you will arrive under de bridge that is being torched by the dragon. If you progress through this level, you will arrive at a building that contains the first bell at the top.
. If you encounter a
Mecha Boar
you are heading in the right direction. Also, to make life easier:
the path on the right of this building leads to a bonfire and a blacksmith.
Thanks guys. I'm on it!

Socreges

Banned
Re: messages

Is it just other online players leaving them? Some of the time they don't make much sense. 'Here!' in a random place or 'Try Death'. I understand that they can be meant to mislead (one is telling me to jump out a window and is rated +5... but I'm pretty sure that would just kill me), but sometimes they don't serve any purpose. And leaving a message, or even just a rating, costs 100 souls? So these people are spending their souls on this stuff?

A lot of the time they're really helpful, though. It's a cool little element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom