• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Ok, I just got to Anor Londo and good fucking christ. Firstly, the design of this game is absolutely amazing. This place is beautiful.

Now on to the aggravation. I just beat the 2nd gargoyle after lowering the bridge to the big castle on the other side. I am hating these huge shielded guys the more I fight them as I always screw up in some way.

And then there's those flying electric bastards. Oh, 2 in a small circular area? With 2 black knight archers firing at you? Lol have fun.

I'm also beyond pissed that I can't find any summon signs in this whole area. I am dying for one (literally).

/end venting

So I forgot how much I hate fighting the Capra Demon, anyone have any tips on how to defeat it?

As soon as the fight starts, run up the stairs and kill the 2 dogs, and then the fight should be manageable. A good shield is key, if you can block all his attacks he's very easy, but if you can't then you'll need to watch out for his 2-handed swings, it's very slow if I remember correctly so you might be able to avoid it simply by walk backwards

Ok, I just got to Anor Londo and good fucking christ. Firstly, the design of this game is absolutely amazing. This place is beautiful.

Now on to the aggravation. I just beat the 2nd gargoyle after lowering the bridge to the big castle on the other side. I am hating these huge shielded guys the more I fight them as I always screw up in some way.

And then there's those flying electric bastards. Oh, 2 in a small circular area? With 2 black knight archers firing at you? Lol have fun.

I'm also beyond pissed that I can't find any summon signs in this whole area. I am dying for one (literally).

/end venting

You'll learn to ignore the shield guys, they take way too much effort to beat for the souls they have, just run past them. Actually you might want to ignore the flying demons as well, because the silver knight archers will be a pain.

Welcome to the infamous silver knight archers, one key thing to remember, never block the arrows, ever, the push-back is likely you push you off the ledge. Ignore the archer on your left, he might hit you once or twice but very unlikely to kill you, roll to dodge the arrows coming from the right archer, once you get close to him he'll take out his sword, and then it becomes a mini-black knight fight on a super narrow ledge, if you're a tank, 2-hand your weapon and swing away, if you play DEX it's slightly harder, you can either take the risk and roll to dodge his attacks, or you can parry him a few times.

Remember, run full speed up the bridge, once you're on the ledge between the 2 knights, roll to dodge the incoming arrows, and once you get close, it's all about fundamentals/

Booshka

/end venting

For the big knights, strafe to their right (your left) and go under their legs as well. A mix of lock on and not locked on is best, sometimes when you attack locked on you will aim at their shield. You can also slowly walk up the stairs on one side and attract the attention of one of them while the other will stay passive. Or you can stay at a certain spot on the stairs and cheese them with arrows.

Bucca

How far is the vendor in Anor Londo? Is there even one? I really need to buy some arrows and other things.

Bucca

Very far actually, he's essentially on the opposite side of the level.

mHTm1.gif

Booshka

http://i.imgur.com/mHTm1.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

To be honest, it's actually not too hard to go back to Sen's and restock back in the Parish or from the merchant in Sen's. There are no enemies on the way back, and you are already familiar with the area so it shouldn't be a problem.

Bucca

To be honest, it's actually not too hard to go back to Sen's and restock back in the Parish or from the merchant in Sen's. There are no enemies on the way back, and you are already familiar with the area so it shouldn't be a problem.

There's a merchant inside Sen's Fortress?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Booshka

There's a merchant inside Sen's Fortress?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

On the top actually,
the broken bridge that the giant throws bombs onto, jump across the broken part and he will be in the tower. Down those stairs is one enemy and a key on a corpse that opens up a very handy shortcut down to the bottom of Sen's.
If you need a break from Anor Londo, go back and explore Sen's a little more, there is a lot to discover.

If you need a break from Anor Londo, go back and explore Sen's a little more, there is a lot to discover.

I'm on my third playthrough and I'm yet to venture into the bottom pit of Sen's with any of my characters simply because of
all the Titanite Demons
. Still too scared but I know there's some stuff down there, right?

Booshka

I'm on my third playthrough and I'm yet to venture into the bottom pit of Sen's with any of my characters simply because of
all the Titanite Demons
. Still too scared but I know there's some stuff down there, right?

It's not too crazy, if you fall down correctly and manage the enemies, you only have to fight one at a time. They each drop
demon titanite (4 total) and the normal Scythe and a Brave Warrior soul are down there as well. The ladder that leads up and out has a illusory wall right in front of it after you reach the top.
Go down there and explore, just make sure you put on the
rusted ring before you drop into the tar.

Posted in the other "Guide" thread by mistake..

Gargoyles done on my DEX build. It's crazy how lightweight this guy is compared to my STR tank and my INT dude. I grabbed the Ring of Favor and Protection from you know who, it's a cool ring that I plan on using for a long while.

Posted in the other "Guide" thread by mistake..

Gargoyles done on my DEX build. It's crazy how lightweight this guy is compared to my STR tank and my INT dude. I grabbed the Ring of Favor and Protection from you know who, it's a cool ring that I plan on using for a long while.

I switched to RFP on my tank char as DWGR was gimped, I prefer light roll to flip anyway. Great ring.

Soulhouf

ever since the patch i'm getting these drops I can't pick up :eek:

I forgot to ask but how comes you have a Japanese UI with English text?
I would kill to have this because the western switch between X and O in the SONY consoles is an eternal frustration for me...

Anteater

I forgot to ask but how comes you have a Japanese UI with English text?
I would kill to have this because the western switch between X and O in the SONY consoles is an eternal frustration for me...

My ps3 and the game is the asia version, so I have O for confirm, it makes some games confusing if it uses the Western config though :( (press X to save, press O to confirm on xmb, lol)

So
Gough
is pretty much more badass than Tarkus.

Kalameet
is the last DLC boss that I need to take care of, he seems pretty easy to take on normally, but cutting off his tail is going to be a nightmare.

Also, I think it's finally time to play an INT character, I've play this game for 200+ hours and 3 characters and I haven't cast a single sorcery yet, that's simply unacceptable.

EasyMode

So
Kalameet
is the last DLC boss that I need to take care of, he seems pretty easy to take on normally, but cutting off his tail is going to be a nightmare.
If you stay near the edge of lock-on range he might to his swooping dive attack. Roll to the side, break lock-on, and position your self under the base of his tail. If you do it right, he'll do a tail slam, which gives you enough time to block and give the tip a chop.

After killing Ornstein first I am gutted as I missed out his boss soul. Was the weapon any good that you make? I am using a Moonlight Butterfly Horn right now (INT build).

I have it on my "Platinum" build but I never used it as he was STR.

Knight Artorias is broken. An amazing boss that is nontheless ridiculously cheap because of his (unblockable) leap. It kills me (full life) in that 1 single hit. And it's unblockable. I can't dodge it. From's decision of nerfing DWGR now means I am incapable of properly dodging in the game and am FORCED to use Havel's ring in order to remain at under 25% seeing as all STR weapons are heavy as shit. Nonetheless, this fight forces you to be able to dodge... it makes no sense to give a boss an attack that is both unblockable and kills you in 1 hit. My first true disappointment with FROM. You don't fuck something like that up, it screws up the game's whole premise of dealing with any situation in whichever way you like it...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
We've all been there man, it's frurstrating. But I don't think he's broken, it just takes practice and timing.

Also FWIW FROM didn't nerf the DWGR, they just patched the game so that it operated as intended. They never meant for dudes wearing heavy armor or wielding huge STR based weapons to flip around.

Knight Artorias is broken. An amazing boss that is nontheless ridiculously cheap because of his (unblockable) leap. It kills me (full life) in that 1 single hit. And it's unblockable. I can't dodge it. From's decision of nerfing DWGR now means I am incapable of properly dodging in the game and am FORCED to use Havel's ring in order to remain at under 25% seeing as all STR weapons are heavy as shit. Nonetheless, this fight forces you to be able to dodge... it makes no sense to give a boss an attack that is both unblockable and kills you in 1 hit. My first true disappointment with FROM. You don't fuck something like that up, it screws up the game's whole premise of dealing with any situation in whichever way you like it...

I don't recall his leap attack ever doing that much damage to me on NG+, it does a quarter damage at most, and less if I had my shield up. And I was wearing medium armor.

And dealing with any situation in whichever way you like doesn't mean you can do anything and expect it to work out, if you don't pump enough points into VIT, you're going to be fragile.

dokish

Banned
I'm done with XIII-2 (the last dungeon was so bad that I watched the ending on YT lol).

I will pop this up as soon as I get home from college (which is around 11PM)

Can't wait!

Sorcerer/Pyromancer here we go!

Try roll dodging instead, and with a bit of practise you'll get it. And it's a good thing they didn't use rinse/repeat formulas, and make you try other methods.

The DWGR allowed you do use medium armor's WITH poise, higher resists, AND give you fast movement/roll WITH extra invulnerability frames. It was rightfully nerfed. If you want fast speed, use light armor and Wolf Ring, if you want tank, use medium armor with poise. If you want invulnerability frames, use the DWGR.

Using Havel's ring in your case, is probably your best bet, so good call on that. You can mix some light/medium armor and Wolf Ring for a decent result.

Also, if your really struggling, and just want to beat it, I'm sure there's dozens of people around here willing to help you out if you ask for it, via summon. Just keep at it, it's worth it in the end.

We've all been there man, it's frurstrating. But I don't think he's broken, it just takes practice and timing.

Also FWIW FROM didn't nerf the DWGR, they just patched the game so that it operated as intended. They never meant for dudes wearing heavy armor or wielding huge STR based weapons to flip around.

I've beaten him already, don't worry. But... no dude. It's not about practice or timing. He is inherently broken. No boss should EVER in the history of time have an unblockable attack that instakills you. That's about as broken as it gets. The boss itself is easy. But as soon as he whips out that one specific attack out that's it, I can't do shit. IF I could dodge his attack I would be fine... but that's where the DWGR's nerf comes in... I've been playing with it for the last 200 hours, now I have to unlearn and then re-learn how to dodge all over again, and guess what? I still haven't mastered it... and 9 times out of 10 I can't dodge his pounce. So that's pretty much it, I managed to beat him out of sheer luck. But what's broken about him is that I was FORCED to play in a specific way because it's impossible to beat him playing any other way.

I don't know what he's like in regular play, but in NG++ he's just broken, no 2 ways about it, lol.

If I COULD use the DWGR, I would... but I need Havel's and the ring of favour anf fortune to be at under 25% burden. Father mask+Havel's doesn't work with my weapons. So my 2 ring slots are taken and... that's pretty much it, I guess. *sigh*

I'm glad to be done with him, but what could have been one of the best bosses in the game is completely destroyed by that one flaw.

I'm still wondering how that leap attack can possibly one shot you, because I've taken 3 of those in one life and survived, what's your VIT and what playthrough are you on?

If something is not working, don't keep doing it. Try roll dodging instead, and with a bit of practise you'll get it. And it's a good thing they didn't use rinse/repeat formulas, and make you try other methods.

The DWGR allowed you do use medium armor's WITH poise, higher resists, AND give you fast movement/roll WITH extra invulnerability frame. It was rightfully nerfed. If you want fast speed, use light armor and wolf ring, if you want tank, use medium armor with poise. If you want invulnerability frames, use the DWGR.

Using Havel's ring in your case, is probably your best bet, so good call on that. You can mix some light/medium armor and Wolf ring for a decent result.

Also, if your really struggling, and just want to beat it, I'm sure there's dozens of people around here willing to help you out if you ask for it, via summon. Just keep at it, it's worth it in the end.

I've already beaten him, like I said.

Anyway, I didn't keep doing it. I was trying to dodge it, obviously. But like I said, I am failing hard at dodging after all those hours spent DWGR'ing it.

I'm not complaining about the DWGR being nerfed, I'm fine with that, gives me an excuse to remaster the game, lol. I'm complaining about the boss being broken. It FORCES you to dodge. That's a first in the Souls games... being forced to play a specific way to kill a boss was never an issue, you can beat any boss any way you want. Except here. You have to dodge that attack. No other way around it. Unblockable attacks should NEVER kill you in 1 hit. It defeats the game's purpose of being punishingly hard but fair. This is completely unfair.

As for the summons, I don't endorse that. MP in the Souls games imo should be PvP only. The game's supposed to be hard in PvE.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't remember that attack at all. But I think your frustration with it is coloring your perception of the entire encounter. He's really not broken.

Also I don't use DWGR on my main and the <25% roll did me fine for dodging his attacks. I guess I would need to see a video to know what leap you're talking about.

EasyMode

I'm pretty sure that powerful leaping attack of his does not track you (unlike the flipping one). I avoided it last night by walking under him, he just flew over me.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Also other bosses have 1HKO or near-death attacks that can't really be blocked because they take too much endurance or simply bypass shields. Super Ornstein's Lightning spear impale attack for example.

I've beaten him already, don't worry. But... no dude. It's not about practice or timing. He is inherently broken. No boss should EVER in the history of time have an unblockable attack that instakills you. That's about as broken as it gets. The boss itself is easy. But as soon as he whips out that one specific attack out that's it, I can't do shit. IF I could dodge his attack I would be fine... but that's where the DWGR's nerf comes in... I've been playing with it for the last 200 hours, now I have to unlearn and then re-learn how to dodge all over again, and guess what? I still haven't mastered it... and 9 times out of 10 I can't dodge his pounce. So that's pretty much it, I managed to beat him out of sheer luck. But what's broken about him is that I was FORCED to play in a specific way because it's impossible to beat him playing any other way.

I fought him as a slow-dodging melee/faith build with Ornstein's Set on and I was 1) able to dodge that attack easily, and 2) when it did hit I was able to recover from it, it didn't one-shot me, and my Vit's only at like 17 or 18 max. Are you playing on NG+ or something?

EDIT: And yeah, as other people posted, a lot of the main game bosses have unblockable attacks that will kill you if your VIT's low.

I think it's the plunging attack, from above. And I think the reason you can't block it is because it comes down on you, not from in front of you, where your shield is. There is other bosses in this game, and enemies that also have attacks from above, that can't be blocked, just like this.

I'm still wondering how that leap attack can possibly one shot you, because I've taken 3 of those in one life and survived, what's your VIT and what playthrough are you on?

50 (plus ring of fav and fort). NG++.

I don't remember that attack at all. But I think your frustration with it is coloring your perception of the entire encounter. He's really not broken.

Also I don't use DWGR on my main and the <25% roll did me fine for dodging his attacks. I guess I would need to see a video to know what leap you're talking about.

I'm not saying the roll isn't fine... I'm just not used to it after so many hours using the DWGR... so I fail at it, lol. I just think it's weird that they'd allow and unblockable attack to 1 hit you. It's unlike From. It's cheap. =(

I think it's the plunging attack, from above. And I think the reason you can't block it is because it comes down on you, not from in front of you, where your shield is. There is other bosses in this game, and enemies that also have attacks from above, that can't be blocked, just like this.

But they don't 1 hit you.

--------------

Disclaimer, guys... it's alright you know? The game is still my fav game this gen along with DeS and Journey, lol... You don't need to get so defensive about it. :D

Btw, the chester set looks sweet. :p

EasyMode

Well since we're on the subject: What attacks do you guys suck at avoiding?

For me it's Nito's
Gravelord Greatsword from the ground attack. The one where he screams and the thing pops from the ground and flips you like a ragdoll. As far as I can tell it tracks you and there's only an audio cue for when to roll out of the way, which is around the time his scream reaches a high point.
If there's an easier way I'd love to know!

I'm not saying the roll isn't fine... I'm just not used to it after so many hours using the DWGR... so I fail at it, lol. I just think it's weird that they'd allow and unblockable attack to 1 hit you. It's unlike From. It's cheap. =(

I think saying one-hitting is cheap gets thrown out the window once you're on NG++. It's your third time through the game, you should be expecting the difficulty to be ramped up. Yeah, if it was the first playthrough and he could one-shot your guy with 50 Vit, that would be cheap...but NG++? Eh, I don't think that's a problem with From scaling. As you said, it's probably just you aren't used to the slower dodge.

Four Kings. Every other boss I've gotten their timing and when to dodge down, but for some reason the Four Kings just frustrate me and I end up having to just tank their attacks instead of dodging.

One of
Manus'
dark orb attacks, the one where they circle around you and then fly into you at once. Strangely I was able to just walk out of it the first time I saw it, but I haven't been able to dodge since. I actually have no idea how to avoid it at all, because I've tried rolling at every direction and at different timings, but I'll always get hit.

Soulhouf

My ps3 and the game is the asia version, so I have O for confirm, it makes some games confusing if it uses the Western config though :( (press X to save, press O to confirm on xmb, lol)

Sweet. I didn't know the asian version had the Japanese input.
Yeah I'm in the same boat and it's a pain in the ass. Seriousely, SONY should give you the option between O and X in the system setting and all the games should follow that setting.

After killing Ornstein first I am gutted as I missed out his boss soul. Was the weapon any good that you make? I am using a Moonlight Butterfly Horn right now (INT build).

I have it on my "Platinum" build but I never used it as he was STR.

That's a good weapon for a dext/faith build, so you don't miss much.

@Oxigen_Waste: did you try to block with a decent shield? I tried in NG+6 with Artorias's Shield and I managed to block the attack.
Also yes, that attack can kill you in one hit if you don't get out of the way but he is not the only boss like that. Seath's tail swipe is OHKO, Gaping Dragon flying attck can kill you in one hit as well.

I beat Artorias twice: once with a str build by blocking and the other with an int build by rolling to dodge the attack (I'm not under 25%) and that makes already 2 different ways to beat him. The fight made you angry because I didn't work like you expected, but with a little work it becomes easy. The learning curve is always huge in this game.

You can just run towards the direction he jumps from and it will miss 100% of the time. Dodge roll to 3 hit combo is rather easy too, the timing and direction takes some time to get used to. Plus Greatshield Of Astorias can take the whole hit with lvl 40 stamina so theres that.

No reason to blame FROM on that at all

EasyMode

Four Kings. Every other boss I've gotten their timing and when to dodge down, but for some reason the Four Kings just frustrate me and I end up having to just tank their attacks instead of dodging.

Even when you do know when to dodge, it can be tricky to manage your stamina between rolling and attacking fast enough to avoid getting ganged up on. I usually just tank it too :p

One of
Manus'
dark orb attacks, the one where they circle around you and then fly into you at once. Strangely I was able to just walk out of it the first time I saw it, but I haven't been able to dodge since. I actually have no idea how to avoid it at all, because I've tried rolling at every direction and at different timings, but I'll always get hit.

Sound like you don't have the
Silver Pendant. It's hidden in Oolacile Township and creates a barrier that blocks those orbs. Look for a message that says "Let there be light."

Peace Tea

If anyone here could provide a post-Quelagg-fight save file (PC), that'd be awesome.

Stupid fuckin Coffin Creep decided to die at the edge of a cliff, in Sen's Fortress, thus leaving the lightning spear in mid air.

EasyMode

If anyone here could provide a post-Quelagg-fight save file (PC), that'd be awesome.

Stupid fuckin Coffin Creep decided to die at the edge of a cliff, in Sen's Fortress, thus leaving the lightning spear in mid air.

Ouch! Save files are tied to your GFWL account.

Is there any chance you enabled the backup feature in DSFix? It's not enabled by default, but it creates a backup of your save every X minutes if you use it.

Silver Pendant. It's hidden in Oolacile Township and creates a barrier that blocks those orbs. Look for a message that says "Let there be light."

Son of a bitch, I actually came across that message and assumed I needed the Light sorcery, which I can't use. Looks like it's time to play a INT build and fill my Dark Souls with LIIIIIIGGHT

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Equipping the Sunlight Maggot at that spot works too, but I'm not sure if Pyromancy or anything else does.

EasyMode

Only discovered that feature about half an hour after this whole ordeal, so....

That sucks :(

If it makes you feel any better, lightning weapons were nerfed in PTD/1.06 and spears now use more stamina when blocking. Have you been upgrading anything else?

Son of a bitch, I actually came across that message and assumed I needed the Light sorcery, which I can't use. Looks like it's time to play a INT build and fill my Dark Souls with LIIIIIIGGHT

A Skull Lantern or Sunlight Maggot
will do the job as well.

Even when you do know when to dodge, it can be tricky to manage your stamina between rolling and attacking fast enough to avoid getting ganged up on. I usually just tank it too :p

What! Had no idea such thing existed. Gotta look for it!

And to the guy lost the spear, maybe someone can drop it to you. I would but I am on PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom