• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think saying one-hitting is cheap gets thrown out the window once you're on NG++. It's your third time through the game, you should be expecting the difficulty to be ramped up. Yeah, if it was the first playthrough and he could one-shot your guy with 50 Vit, that would be cheap...but NG++? Eh, I don't think that's a problem with From scaling. As you said, it's probably just you aren't used to the slower dodge.

Four Kings. Every other boss I've gotten their timing and when to dodge down, but for some reason the Four Kings just frustrate me and I end up having to just tank their attacks instead of dodging.

It's not the one shotting that bothers me. At all. It's the fact that it's BOTH unblockable and a 1HK. But of course, the real "problem" is that I can't dodge properly without the DWGR yet, but still, having a 1HK unblockable attack in the game isn't challenging, it's just cheap. =/

Yeah, I suck at 4 Kings too, lol... It took me like 20 tries to get them in NG++. :p

@Oxigen_Waste: did you try to block with a decent shield? I tried in NG+6 with Artorias's Shield and I managed to block the attack.
Also yes, that attack can kill you in one hit if you don't get out of the way but he is not the only boss like that. Seath's tail swipe is OHKO, Gaping Dragon flying attck can kill you in one hit as well.

I beat Artorias twice: once with a str build by blocking and the other with an int build by rolling to dodge the attack (I'm not under 25%) and that makes already 2 different ways to beat him. The fight made you angry because I didn't work like you expected, but with a little work it becomes easy. The learning curve is always huge in this game.

I was using Silver Knight Shield+5... it was the heaviest I could afford to use without becoming >25%.

The fight didn't make me angry, I beat him the 3rd try. The cheapness of that attack just left me in a state of disappointment. That's a first, with FROM.

Also, for fuck's sake, I had forgotten how annoying this game is when there are alot of people playing. I want to try the damn duel arena and I just can't. As soon as I connect I get invaded. Literally! I even went offline, positioned myself in front of that specific sword, quit, and come back online and as soon as I connect I'm being invaded. I can't try the damn arena. :D Gahhhhhhhh

One of
Manus'
dark orb attacks, the one where they circle around you and then fly into you at once. Strangely I was able to just walk out of it the first time I saw it, but I haven't been able to dodge since. I actually have no idea how to avoid it at all, because I've tried rolling at every direction and at different timings, but I'll always get hit.

OH MAN, you don't even know!!!!! This made me so freaking MADDD! Check this out, after I beat him the first time, I came back to fight him without the pendant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQc3cQWZazg&list=PLFBBDE8FD663440DB&index=42&feature=plpp_video

I recommend staying close/mid range from him, and closing in when you see him wind up. Trying to dodge it, running away from him is a lot harder, but still possible.

Soulhouf

I was using Silver Knight Shield+5... it was the heaviest I could afford to use without becoming >25%.

You're doing it wrong dude.
You can't have everything, you have to make a choice: mobility or defense. If you can't dodge, sacrifice mobility to be able to block all the attacks by using the Great Shield of Artorias. It's as simple as that.

You're doing it wrong dude.
You can't have everything, you have to make a choice: mobility or defense. If you can't dodge, sacrifice mobility to be able to block all the attacks. It's as simple as that.

Well according to Gamefaqs I don't even have the only shield that can block his attack, so it's not like Eagling it would've made a difference.

Also, I can't ever sacrifice mobility, I hate tanking in these games, lol. But I have to relearn how to dodge now, lol. It fucking sucks that I can't use DWGR at all. Literally, the only way I can use the DWGR with my weaps is if go around naked with nothing but the weapon. Gah... :S

And now I'm obliged to wear the Havel ring + fav and fortune at all times if I want to keep using my STR weaps and retain mobility. :(

Learn to accept the mid-roll :p

It's totally viable against Artorias and many other bosses.

Nah. Been a light guy ever since DeS. Only reason I went for a STR build in DaS was precisely BECAUSE I was supposed to be able to retain those light dodges. Wish I had gone DEX now...

Soulhouf

Well according to Gamefaqs I don't even have the only shield that can block his attack, so it's not like Eagling it would've made a difference.

Also, I can't ever sacrifice mobility, I hate tanking in these games, lol. But I have to relearn how to dodge now, lol. It fucking sucks that I can't use DWGR at all. Literally, the only way I can use the DWGR with my weaps is if go around naked with nothing but the weapon. Gah... :S

And now I'm obliged to wear the Havel ring + fav and fortune at all times if I want to keep using my STR weaps and retain mobility. :(

The thing is, if you are using heavy weapon, you have to accept tanking/blocking attacks otherwise change your weapon for a light one.
Again,the game allows you to make whatever you want but you have to be careful when building/equiping your character and that's the key to victory.

The thing is, if you are using heavy weapon, you have to accept tanking/blocking attacks otherwise change your weapon for a light one.
Again,the game allows you to make whatever you want but you have to be careful when building/equiping your character and that's the key to victory.

Tanking/blocking uses up way more stamina than dodging, and heavy weapons use up alot of stamine per swing... in other words, heavy weapons work alot better with dodge since most of the times you only have enough stamina to attack once after defending. Plus, heavy armor means a decreased stamina regen.

koryuken

Learn to accept the mid-roll :p

It's totally viable against Artorias and many other bosses.

I gotta say, I have been playing around as an INT build and doing some PVP. Instead of going with the conventional wisdom and going Wolf Ring + light armor + Moonlight Sword = light roll, I tried Havel's Ring + Giant's Armor + Moonlight Sword = mid roll. I am raping way more people with the mid roll setup, I have to say.

Booshka

Tanking/blocking uses up way more stamina than dodging, and heavy weapons use up alot of stamine per swing... in other words, heavy weapons work alot better with dodge since most of the times you only have enough stamina to attack once after defending. Plus, heavy armor means a decreased stamina regen.

What weapon do you use?

What weapon do you use?

DGA, DGM and DGH, mainly. I also used the BKGA alot for PvE, but now it sucks.

My non strenght weaps are 3 Lightning weaps: the Uchigatana, the Murakumo and the Gargoyle's Halberd. Then I have 1 fire Uchigatana.

I also have a battle axe and mace, since they have decent STR scaling and are portable.

Then I have alot of weapons I carry with me all the time and are maxed (almost) but don't really get used because I don't like their moveset like the Claymore, the men serpent great sword, the butcher's knife... great club... basically any weapon that has a B or higher STR scaling stat.

For all effects and purposes the 3 DG weaps are my main weaps. I may resort to the lightning or fire weaps for some specific bosses, but for the most part, I use those 3.

Booshka

DGA, DGM and DGH, mainly. I also used the BKGA alot for PvE, but now it sucks.

My non strenght weaps are 3 Lightning weaps: the Uchigatana, the Murakumo and the Gargoyle's Halberd. Then I have 1 fire Uchigatana.

I also have a battle axe and mace, since they have decent STR scaling and are portable.

Then I have alot of weapons I carry with me all the time and are maxed (almost) but don't really get used because I don't like their moveset like the Claymore, the men serpent great sword, the butcher's knife... great club... basically any weapon that has a B or higher STR scaling stat.

For all effects and purposes the 3 DG weaps are my main weaps. I may resort to the lightning or fire weaps for some specific bosses, but for the most part, I use those 3.

Whenever I use big ass weapons like that I usually don't even use a shield, I just 2H the weapon and roll around. You have to be real careful when you choose to attack with those huge weapons, so I want to make the damage count and 2H. You also usually have a chance of stunning most enemies with that first hit when you 2H. It's tough in PvE, especially on NG+ and beyond, but you can make it work with a lot of practice.

Being able to stagger is a great benefit to those weapons, along with the damage, so expecting to be able to block extremely well, have good armor and fast/flip roll all that the same time is unrealistic, and was rightly fixed with the patch.

Whenever I use big ass weapons like that I usually don't even use a shield, I just 2H the weapon and roll around. You have to be real careful when you choose to attack with those huge weapons, so I want to make the damage count and 2H. You also usually have a chance of stunning most enemies with that first hit when you 2H. It's tough in PvE, especially on NG+ and beyond, but you can make it work with a lot of practice.

Being able to stagger is a great benefit to those weapons, along with the damage, so expecting to be able to block extremely well, have good armor and fast/flip roll all that the same time is unrealistic, and was rightly fixed with the patch.

I don't expect good armor and blockage. Only good rolling. But now even that doesn't work unless I'm completely naked with nothing but the weapon.

Anyway, as for the rest, after 200 hours playing the game that way don't you think I know that already? :p I don't usually use a shield either I just have Grass crest on my back for the stamina regen, but now I HAVE to use a shield, at least 'till I can make due with the regular rolling, as I fail too many dodges, for now. ^^

Booshka

I don't expect good armor and blockage. Only good rolling. But now even that doesn't work unless I'm completely naked with nothing but the weapon.

Anyway, as for the rest, after 200 hours playing the game that way don't you think I know that already? :p I don't usually use a shield either I just have Grass crest on my back for the stamina regen, but now I HAVE to use a shield, at least 'till I can make due with the regular rolling, as I fail too many dodges, for now. ^^

Wait, so you can't get used to fast rolling? It's not much different than flipping, little less invincibility frames, but it's close enough that you should get used to it soon.

Checking the Character builder, if you have 40 Endurance, you should be able to wear a few light armor pieces, use Havel's ring and be able to flip roll. Just can't have any other weapons or a shield. This might sound like blasphemy, but maybe you should re-roll a character that focuses solely on heavy weapons and fast/flip rolling with high endurance. If you'd like I can help you transfer your items to your new character, and give you whatever items I can spare to help you level up, and upgrade your gear/estus flasks.

Wait, so you can't get used to fast rolling? It's not much different than flipping, little less invincibility frames, but it's close enough that you should get used to it soon.

Checking the Character builder, if you have 40 Endurance, you should be able to wear a few light armor pieces, use Havel's ring and be able to flip roll. Just can't have any other weapons or a shield. This might sound like blasphemy, but maybe you should re-roll a character that focuses solely on heavy weapons and fast/flip rolling with high endurance. If you'd like I can help you transfer your items to your new character, and give you whatever items I can spare to help you level up, and upgrade your gear/estus flasks.

Ahah, it's okay bro, I've only been "back" for 2/3 hours (I pretty much just got to the PvP arenas), I'm sure I'll get used to the regular rolling in no time, don't you worry. :D

Right now I've been rocking the Havel+fav and fort, the black leather set with mask of the child and grass crest shield on my back along with 2 handed DGA. The only trouble so far were the 2 bosses, because I don't have the dodge timing down yet, but don't worry I'll get there. :D

Re-rolling at this point makes no sense, as I'm in it for the PvE challenge and the ocasional PvP duel at this point, so NG and NG+ would be too easy at this point. Don't worry, I'll do fine, I was just a bit DWGR dependent, I'll detox in no time.

dokish

Banned
Just started my game.

It's been a long time since I played Demons Souls, but IIRC, you had MP instead of 'spell usage', right? You don't have MP on this game? Is this bad or good? Since I'm going Sorcerer/Pyro I'm afraid I will be limited by it... or no?

Booshka

Just started my game.

It's been a long time since I played Demons Souls, but IIRC, you had MP instead of 'spell usage', right? You don't have MP on this game? Is this bad or good? Since I'm going Sorcerer/Pyro I'm afraid I will be limited by it... or no?

No, it's just different, every spell has a set number of casts, those casts refill at bonfires, or after a successful co op summon. In order to get more casts of a specific spell, you have to purchase/find that spell again and put it into an Attunement slot. Leveling up Attunement is important if you want to have a multitude of different spells at your disposal. It's different, but a little more balanced, since you can't just refill your casts with an item, you have to progress, or backtrack and try again to refill the casts at a bonfire.

Manus on NG+

Jesus Christ

I get summoned into someone else's game to fight him. I'm wearing the Guardian Set with Havel's shield. I drop down and he immediately takes off 3/4 of my health with one blow. With 40 VIT with FAP ring. Then I heal up. He grabs me and starts slamming me on the ground like a gorilla. My health goes down to zero. I died.

Booshka

Manus on NG+

Jesus Christ

I get summoned into someone else's game to fight him. I'm wearing the Guardian Set with Havel's shield. I drop down and he immediately takes off 3/4 of my health with one blow. With 40 VIT with FAP ring. Then I heal up. He grabs me and starts slamming me on the ground like a gorilla. My health goes down to zero. I died.

I've gotten summoned for a couple NG+7 and beyond Manus runs with crazy Japanese players, it's fucking insane. And at level 100 too. I've been able to help about 3 people beat it out of like 10 or more tries. It's fun as hell though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And... ascended to the Dark Soul.

Too bad I waited as long as I did since the DLC didn't add any achievements like I thought it would. Oh well, at least it helped break the slab grind down to 1 and half playthroughs to where the only two playthrough thing (arguable at that if you use Gwyn's sould for the magic then exit the game after the achievement pops) is the all rare weapons since you have to do two full playthroughs and a half playthrough for all the weapons.

Booshka

Congrats, the DLC does make the Dark Soul trophy much easier with the extra slabs they give haha. But if you just XMB out it's the same.

Jawmuncher

So i'm not playing the DLC i'c actually playing through the whole game for the first time.
Picked it up at launch and its been sitting in my backlog after I played it for about 10 hours.

Anyway I just rang both the bells and grabbed the Rusty Ring for Sens Fortress.
I have a few questions though.

-In the Asylum the boss you can fight after falling through the floor is an asshole, should I keep trying or just come back later when I have better stuff (I'm still using the damn drake sword since I can't use Boss Souls to make better weapons yet)

I'm still a little confused about this as well.
I have a +10 katana that im going to use with a boss soul, however the game when its equipped says I can't use it and the equipment even shows it grayed out with an X.
however I can equip and use it just fine with one hand or two. Whats the deal with that?

Also Havels ring is fucking Bad Ass

Booshka

So i'm not playing the DLC i'c actually playing through the whole game for the first time.
Picked it up at launch and its been sitting in my backlog after I played it for about 10 hours.

Anyway I just rang both the bells and grabbed the Rusty Ring for Sens Fortress.
I have a few questions though.

-In the Asylum the boss you can fight after falling through the floor is an asshole, should I keep trying or just come back later when I have better stuff (I'm still using the damn drake sword since I can't use Boss Souls to make better weapons yet)

I'm still a little confused about this as well.
I have a +10 katana that im going to use with a boss soul, however the game when its equipped says I can't use it and the equipment even shows it grayed out with an X.
however I can equip and use it just fine with one hand or two. Whats the deal with that?

Also Havels ring is fucking Bad Ass

Your dexterity is too low, since you are going to upgrade it to a boss weapon, start leveling your Dexterity now, and keep leveling it (stop at 40). The Katana you have at +10 will do much more damage than the Drake Sword, and it has bleed damage. The katana you forge will do even more damage fully upgraded and combo'd with Humanity scaling. Bleed weapons are also excellent against the Stray Demon back at the Asylum, so start investing in Dexterity and go back to that boss, you should be able to take him out.

Jawmuncher

Your dexterity is too low, since you are going to upgrade it to a boss weapon, start leveling your Dexterity now, and keep leveling it (stop at 40). The Katana you have at +10 will do much more damage than the Drake Sword, and it has bleed damage. The katana you forge will do even more damage fully upgraded and combo'd with Humanity scaling. Bleed weapons are also excellent against the Stray Demon back at the Asylum, so start investing in Dexterity and go back to that boss, you should be able to take him out.

Awesome thanks for the help!
Looks like i'll start farming that dexterity.

Booshka

Awesome thanks for the help!
Looks like i'll start farming that dexterity.

Don't get too caught up in it, you'll do plenty damage with like 20 dex, focus on Vitality and Endurance as well, it will make the game much more manageable and fun. Once you get higher HP and equip burden so you aren't getting worked by enemies, you can then focus back on your Dex

Jawmuncher

Don't get too caught up in it, you'll do plenty damage with like 20 dex, focus on Vitality and Endurance as well, it will make the game much more manageable and fun. Once you get higher HP and equip burden so you aren't getting worked by enemies, you can then focus back on your Dex

Ok will keep that in mind as well.
Gotta get my character in shape because at the moment hes a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Ill Saint

Ok will keep that in mind as well.
Gotta get my character in shape because at the moment hes a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Most peoples first character usually ends up that way. Don't get hung up on specifics, enjoy the experience and worry about builds and stats and all that stuff on your next character.

Jawmuncher

Most peoples first character usually ends up that way. Don't get hung up on specifics, enjoy the experience and worry about builds and stats and all that stuff on your next character.

Yeah I was kind of noticing that lol.
Whats funny is I basically did that in Demons Souls as well, guess I never learn.

Anteater

Depend on how much damage you're doing to him, his attacks are easily avoidable if you stay behind his butt, but if you think he takes too many hits to kill, then go back later.

Guevara

I think I've made a huge mistake. In my rush to get to the new DLC, I started a new game and got as far as O&S in 7 hours. Which means I'm vastly under prepared for that fight at level 33 with nothing but a +5 longsword.

What a good weapon buff for this and later fights? I've never looked into sorcery at all.

I think I've made a huge mistake. In my rush to get to the new DLC, I started a new game and got as far as O&S in 7 hours. Which means I'm vastly under prepared for that fight at level 33 with nothing but a +5 longsword.

What a good weapon buff for this and later fights? I've never looked into sorcery at all.

I had the same problem with my 2nd character, I bulldozered through to O&S and get pounded into the dirt because I can barely scratch them. It depends on what your character build is and how patient you are I guess, if you want to play it safe just upgrade your preferred weapon to +10 and use the fire buff item, it's going to take a while though. If you are confident and want to finish the fight as quickly as possible, using Power Within and 2-handing your weapon will give you a substantial attack buff, but you'll need to dodge like a madman.

Also, getting Qualaag's fire sword will also help in this fight, its attack is probably higher than what you have right now and neither O&S is resistant to fire.

RedSwirl

You guys think it's worth trading in my 360 CE of this game. I just got the PC version (I was gonna re-roll anyway) and I was really disappointed with the US Dark Souls CE. Also, I feel like I made a mistake buying it on 360.

I don't usually trade with GameStop but they're having this 50% bonus in trade-ins towards a deal tomorrow.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Guys, I need help. I took a break from Dark months ago at the front door of Sen's Fortress. I picked up where I left off and I'm getting completely destroyed. Like, I don't even stand a chance. Areas up until now were hard but fair, but now I feel to weak for this part. The lizard guards only need a couple of hits to take me down (blink, and I'm dead) and I can't even get past the first snake mage creature with its lightning bolts.

I'm a lvl 44 Pyromancer. Fire orb deals great damage to the lizards, but that should be an emergency measure. I'm still rocking the Drake Sword, which was a big help but really weak now against the lizards. I also have a +9 long bow, but my arrows do like 30 damage a pop :/

I'm going to take a look at guides to see if there are optional areas I missed, but it seems I should be able to tackle this area at lvl 44. It's kicking my ass though.

Any help is welcome.

SxP

I'm a lvl 44 Pyromancer. Fire orb deals great damage to the lizards, but that should be an emergency measure. I'm still rocking the Drake Sword, which was a big help and is now suddenly weak against the lizards. I also have a +9 long bow, but my arrows do like 30 damage a pop :/.

Do you have combustion? Because that's great against both the lizards and the mages. Double Combustion (one from Firelink, one from Blighttown) should be a huge help (I don't know how far you've upgraded your Pyro flame though). A good option would be to just use combustion until you get the Lightning Spear, that should tear trough basically all enemies in Sen's. 32 casts of combustion should be enough.

Luring enemies into traps is a huge help, but requires some precise timing.

I did it Sunday with a Drake Sword +3 and I never encountered much difficulty, but I guess the +0 difference is quite large still.

Guys, I need help. I took a break from Dark months ago at the front door of Sen's Fortress. I picked up where I left off and I'm getting completely destroyed. Like, I don't even stand a chance. Areas up until now were hard but fair, but now I feel to weak for this part. The lizard guards only need a couple of hits to take me down (blink, and I'm dead) and I can't even get past the first snake mage creature with its lightning bolts.

I'm a lvl 44 Pyromancer. Fire orb deals great damage to the lizards, but that should be an emergency measure. I'm still rocking the Drake Sword, which was a big help but really weak now against the lizards. I also have a +9 long bow, but my arrows do like 30 damage a pop :/

I'm going to take a look at guides to see if there are optional areas I missed, but it seems I should be able to tackle this area at lvl 44. It's kicking my ass though.

Any help is welcome.

The thing is that the Drake Sword is a trap. It feels soooo overpowered versus everything right up until that point. Because Drake Sword is so good until to that point, you never learned how to upgrade weapons. It might seem like a chore/hard/weird at first, but pretty much any decent weapon you can carry at that point upgraded couple of times is better than the Drake. It's pretty much the most important thing (IMO) you must learn after how to kindle fires. I am almost sure that the difficulty jump is there on purpose.

Good news is that you should have enough stuff in your inventory to make some better weapons: pick the strongest weapon you can carry / the one you like the moveset of the most and upgrade it (and your shield, maybe your armor too) at the first locksmith.

Took me like hour to get the tail drop from
Kalameet
. Then another 30 minutes to actually bet him because it was rather... boring. I think I have done everything in the DLC now, except craft the weapons and get that one spell...

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So I'm in Anor Lando right at Smough and Ornstein and I am getting my ass handed to me. What is a decent area to just grind some souls for levelling in?

So I'm in Anor Lando right at Smough and Ornstein and I am getting my ass handed to me. What is a decent area to just grind some souls for levelling in?

Killing the Silver Knights near the bonfire nets you tons of souls. Also you can improve your backstabs there :)

I spent hours and hours there last Xmas killing those Silver Knights, I really fell in love with the area.

Speaking of which, I just did a co-op of Anor Lando from the bottom of the elevator right through to boss completion, amazing! One of us fell off from the archers but the host and I managed it, and went on to complete the level. So good. Amazing co-op game, 250+ hours and still loving it

I completely left the DLC once I got to the second bonfire in Oolacile Township, I started a new character and I've just been doing tons of co-op in Blighttown and Sen's like before the DLC hit. I don't know if I'm trying to savour the DLC or I'm scared of the difficulty spike! :3

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I completely left the DLC once I got to the second bonfire in Oolacile Township, I started a new character and I've just been doing tons of co-op in Blighttown and Sen's like before the DLC hit. I don't know if I'm trying to savour the DLC or I'm scared of the difficulty spike! :3

It's not really too difficult, Atorias aside. It's just stupid bullshit HP tanks and them doing more damage to you than you doing damage to them.

ArynCrinn

Banned
So did anybody ever find a way to do that sweep kick that Chester does, or is it a Chester-only move? Sorry to ask, just too lazy to hit the wiki atm.

uh oh. My ps3 just randomly shut off while playing. I got the blinking red lights. Dark souls is killing my ps3!

Edit; Am I able to backup my demon souls and dark souls saves to USB thumb drive or are they copy protected?

Assuming my ps3 even turns on again

Jawmuncher

Depend on how much damage you're doing to him, his attacks are easily avoidable if you stay behind his butt, but if you think he takes too many hits to kill, then go back later.

Yeah that's what I figured, after I can finally use these boss souls im going back to end his ass......literally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom