• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
uh oh. My ps3 just randomly shut off while playing. I got the blinking red lights. Dark souls is killing my ps3!

Edit; Am I able to backup my demon souls and dark souls saves to USB thumb drive or are they copy protected?

Assuming my ps3 even turns on again

"Prepare to Die?"

But yes, you can do a backup of your game saves, individually if your lucky. If you have an external HDD, you can do a complete backup IF they are copy protected.

Here: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2570/ps3_how_to_backup_ps3_game_save_files/

Unless things have changed, that should work.

"Prepare to Die?"

But yes, you can do a backup of your game saves, individually if your lucky. If you have an external HDD, you can do a complete backup IF they are copy protected.

Here: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2570/ps3_how_to_backup_ps3_game_save_files/

Unless things have changed, that should work.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to use it if I get another PS3 but I might not buy another ps3. Most of the games released on PS3 make it to PC anyways. I will just start a new char on the PC version. Now to decide on a 2 hand strength build or a claymore faith one. Faith would give more variety but I think it would be fun to run around with a huge weapon.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm about to fight the Gaping Dragon, any suggestions on how to beat it? Also, is there anything I need to buy from the peddler that'll help me out right now?

So I'm at the Manus fight right now, so far the DLC is kinda lame... A Darkroot Garden clone, a Tomb of the Giants clone and one good new area. How far in am I? 40/50%?
Sanctuary Guardian was awesome though... And so was Artorias, kind of...

Guevara

I'm about to fight the Gaping Dragon, any suggestions on how to beat it? Also, is there anything I need to buy from the peddler that'll help me out right now?

Without spoiling too much, make sure you really look around the depths before entering that fight.

All dragons are weak to lightning, he sells gold pine resin.

In the fight, don't get greedy, get a few hits and then get out, his stomps and tail swipes hurt. His head is a weakspot so when he comes down you have time to run in and get a few hits in then roll/run out. Get the tail cut off weapon too, one of the easier to get even solo.

So I'm at the Manus fight right now, so far the DLC is kinda lame... A Darkroot Garden clone, a Tomb of the Giants clone and one good new area. How far in am I? 40/50%?
*cough* It's not just a clone, if you're into the game's lore entering that area should've had you creaming your pants.

Cheddahz

Banned
I just went into the battle, with my just my sword and I managed to cut off it's tail and defeat it first try. I feel good right now...well since I got all of those souls from the dragon, should I invest it into stats or should I get something from the peddler near Blighttown?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I just went into the battle, with my just my sword and I managed to cut off it's tail and defeat it first try. I feel good right now...well since I got all of those souls from the dragon, should I invest it into stats or should I get something from the peddler near Blighttown?
Domhnall the peddler will move to Firelink (under the aqueduct) permanently, so don't worry too much about him for now.
If you defeated Gaping first try, you probably don't need to invest in stats too much.
What's your build like? Maybe upgrade some weapons or bits of armour you use often.
As I'm sure you know, Blighttown is the next logical step, but it won't pose you too much trouble if you're careful. Stocking up on moss from the female undead merchant might be a good call, too.

Booshka

Had no idea how powerful the demon's great machete is. I have it at +14 and I'm two shot-ing the stone guardians.

Ya it's amazing, you only need to have 27 STR to 2H it and it will do like 640 damage. It also has a great wide sweep, roll poke attack and can stunlock. It's no joke, just have to deal with the weight.

Soulhouf

I pretty much spent the last 13 months playing this game (more than 1000 hours) and the new areas all felt new to me. And holy crap when I saw these "things" first time in Chasm of the Abyss O_O
Best bosses in the entire game, my favorite area as well. I didn't expect that much so I'm more than satisfied.

Jawmuncher

Playing through the game in Offline Mode (Don't have a good internet connection where im at for gaming)

Finally got to Smough and Ornstein............
Fuck these guys.
This is the first truly hard part that I have gotten to.
Mainly because just getting up the boss requires me to fight at minimum 1 Knight and 2 big sield guys if I want to be able to summon the Sun Knight.

Running past them I can get the bosses to about half but man both of them just ganging up on you is terrifying. Even when im using the pillars to block some of their movement from one another.

Any tips since I won't be able to summon any online players to help.

Soulhouf

@Jawmuncher: Eagle Shield +10 used to do wonders in that battle.
Before the last patch, even alone the fight was pretty easy with that shield. I don't know what became of it now but you can give it a try. Its hi stability + low weight + hi lightning resistance made it very useful in that fight.

@maomaoIYP: OMG that's fascinating...

Jawmuncher

@Jawmuncher: Eagle Shield +10 used to do wonders in that battle.
Before the last patch, even alone the fight was pretty easy with that shield. I don't know what became of it now but you can give it a try. Its hi stability + low weight + hi lightning resistance made it very useful in that fight.

@maomaoIYP: OMG that's fascinating...

Thanks i'll look into that.
I dont believe I have the newest patch (The last one I grabbed I beleive was the very first one)

I can get the bosses to about half but man both of them just ganging up on you is terrifying. Even when im using the pillars to block some of their movement from one another.

Any tips since I won't be able to summon any online players to help.
You only have to kill one of them to get to the second part of the fight, so only concentrate on one of them. Let Solaire distract one of them for you. Mobility is key for this fight IMO, so keeping your equipment burden low enough for fast roll is very useful.

Which ever you kill second determines who's armour you can purchase afterwards.

Jawmuncher

You only have to kill one of them to get to the second part of the fight, so only concentrate on one of them. Let Solaire distract one of them for you. Mobility is key for this fight IMO, so keeping your equipment burden low enough for fast roll is very useful.

Which ever you kill second determines who's armour you can purchase afterwards.

Ahhh ok.
Was wondering about that.
Think i'll try and kill Ornstein first, since he's just a major pain each time I've tried.

tyler

Can anyone give me some help with NG++ Four Kings? It's a tough fight, on my own I'm just about killing two but getting nowhere near defeating them all. If anyone's got a character on X360 at SL88-128, let me know. Cheers.

*cough* It's not just a clone, if you're into the game's lore entering that area should've had you creaming your pants.

I know it isn't a clone per se, but just because there's a deeper meaning behind it doesn't mean the place doesn't feel repetitive. And I would've loved the area had it been in the base game... but as a part (35%!) of paid DLC, it's a scam. And as good as the Dark Souls lore is, the day I cream over VG lore is the day I'm braindead.

I pretty much spent the last 13 months playing this game (more than 1000 hours) and the new areas all felt new to me. And holy crap when I saw these "things" first time in Chasm of the Abyss O_O
Best bosses in the entire game, my favorite area as well. I didn't expect that much so I'm more than satisfied.

Well, I expected alot more. It was too short, too repetitive and too expensive, considering. I paid 20$ for the whole game, so 15$ for 3 hours worth of game which mostly consisted of clones of previous areas felt like a scam to me. This is the last time I'll ever purchase DLC of anything. I should've learned my lesson with Fallout 3... Not to mention, you're not exactly the best judge here, since you've logged more than 1000 hours into the game... Even after 3 complete playthroughs I'm not even at 200 hours, so I can only imagine how many times you've played the damn thing. :D

As for the bosses, Guardian was amazing, Artorias was pretty nice, Kalameet was average and Manus was gimmicky and mostly forgetable (this is just my opinion, of course).

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You purchased the game at a discounted price; most did not buy it for $20. I think the price is quite reasonable. They added a lot more besides just the areas and bosses in terms of items, multiplayer and rebalancing. It sounds like you just don't get along with DLC, which is okay, but that doesn't make this a scam.

You purchased the game at a discounted price; most did not buy it for $20. I think the price is quite reasonable. They added a lot more besides just the areas and bosses in terms of items, multiplayer and rebalancing. It sounds like you just don't get along with DLC, which is okay, but that doesn't make this a scam.

The price doesn't make sense for 3 hours of gameplay. The new items are all fine and dandy, but there's nothing game changing in there, the go to stuff is still the same, nothing new... I do like the PvP arenas, sure.

The rebalancing has nothing to do with the DLC though... non DLC owners got the 1.06 patch too.

As for it being a scam or not that will obviously change for each of us, but I'm used to buying my games for 15-20$, and as such 15$ for the amount of content I got from this DLC feels like a scam, in my case. There's not enough stuff, and most of what there is... is a rethreading of old ground.

Soulhouf

Well, I expected alot more. It was too short, too repetitive and too expensive, considering. I paid 20$ for the whole game, so 15$ for 3 hours worth of game which mostly consisted of clones of previous areas felt like a scam to me. This is the last time I'll ever purchase DLC of anything. I should've learned my lesson with Fallout 3... Not to mention, you're not exactly the best judge here, since you've logged more than 1000 hours into the game... Even after 3 complete playthroughs I'm not even at 200 hours, so I can only imagine how many times you've played the damn thing. :D

As for the bosses, Guardian was amazing, Artorias was pretty nice, Kalameet was average and Manus was gimmicky and mostly forgetable (this is just my opinion, of course).

I understand, it's fine. Perhaps I like the game too much.

As for the number of time I beat the game, I lost counting but that makes more than 20 times for sure.
I tried every possible build, did speed runs, low level runs (SL1, SL2) and even a SL1 run without upgrading anything. The game is running through my blood right now.
It's a shame I don't have a capture card otherwise I would make some videos of my runs.

Also I shamelessly bought the 3 versions of the game like I did with Demon's Souls.

@koryuken: haha, that's hilarious :D

So... Gough's Greatbow surpasses Dragonslayer Greatbow if you're a 50 STR char, correct?

Also, Gough arrows > Dragonslayer arrows in either of the bows. Yes?

Akito

So... Gough's Greatbow surpasses Dragonslayer Greatbow if you're a 50 STR char, correct?

Also, Gough arrows > Dragonslayer arrows in either of the bows. Yes?
I have 37 STR and GG+5 is already making 28 more damage than DG+5 (plus having a lightly longer range). Gough arrows are per se better yes.

Socreges

Banned
Looking to get into pyromancy/sorcery/miracles now, but am not totally sure how they work or which I should exploit. My guy is a Wanderer and has 8 faith so I don't know if miracles are really an option. I haven't got access to pyromancy yet so I don't really consider that an option. Sorcery seems more accessible, but I don't know if it will be as valuable.

So difficult making choices when I have no idea what the best course would be. I guess this is the nature of a virgin run.

And how do I even equip sorcery and miracles? nm figured it out I think

Socreges

Banned
For a little more leveling advice, if you'd like you could put one point into Attunement to get one magic slot, then use Pyromancy, or put a couple points into Intelligence or Faith and try out some spells. For new players I highly suggest having one magic slot, taking your Faith to 12 and using the basic Heal spell. It has 5 casts and can heal about as much as an Estus flask. This spell can really save your life and allows you to get through areas and make it to the next bonfire easier. Use the Spell after fights and out of battle if you can, and use your Estus for those sticky situations because the cast time on the spell is much longer than chugging an estus or two. It also helps when you help as a phantom in another persons game, where you cant heal yourself with Estus.
Isn't 4000 souls a bit more expensive for just five casts? Or is there a cheaper way to get Heal scrolls?

As for attunement slots, do wanderers start with one? Because I've already got one and an pretty sure I haven't leveled up attunement. Is it worth getting a second slot if I'm going to be using mainly physical attacks?

Jawmuncher

So I was able to beat Ornsten and Smough yesterday. Thanks for the tips about the Eagle Shield. That coupled with the Warrior of Sunlight made the boss a breeze.

Anyway i'm sitting at about 30 hours in the game now and was wondering if thats on track to beating the game in about 60 hours? Normally I wouldn't care but I have a limited of time with my PS3 and TV before I have to send them back home. Just trying to figure out the time here since i'd prefer to be able to beat the game and then on a second playthrough do all the stuff I missed out like painted world etc.

So I was able to finish the DLC with couple of friends. First at SL81(thanks WOW), then again at SL55. I really enjoyed it. The Sanctuary Guardian, and Artorias
What a BADASS
, were the highlights of the DLC for me. The other two boss fights were good, but they didn't have as much impact on me.

Also,
The side story with Sif, and having him fight with you in the past was awesome. Having to fight each other in the present makes me a sad panda though. Always felt a little bad when Sif would start to limp near the end of the boss fight. Now I'll feel even worse.

Doing a SL1 run as well. Beat capra, and on my way to ring the second bell. I'm upgrading stuff though. Don't know if I would ever do a no upgrade run. Been fun so far, but I know some parts are bound to drive my crazy.

Jawmuncher

Finally in the catacombs now.
Using the Zweihander as my Holy weapon since I don't have much else with good damage that I can use with my strength.

Anyway you know a game is really good when while playing it, you're already thinking about what you'll be doing when you play through it again! Hell i'm excited to get to the end of the game just to play it again. That doesn't happen often.

Uriah

I just beat the butterfly boss and I have some questions. So far I've just upgraded my starting equipment rather than equipping any I find. Is this a bad idea? I haven't found any other light equipment other than the one's I started with and I'd like my character to move fast.

Jawmuncher

I just beat the butterfly boss and I have some questions. So far I've just upgraded my starting equipment rather than equipping any I find. Is this a bad idea? I haven't found any other light equipment other than the one's I started with and I'd like my character to move fast.

From what I was told thats sometimes the better option.
However a good idea is looking up how good an item gets when upgraded and if something else down the line will actually be better than it in the long run.

I've been doing that a few times mainly for my weapons (Don't care much about armor with Havels Ring so I just through whatever new thing I get on)

Jawmuncher

I just wanted to say I got to the boss at the abyss

OH MY GOD THAT BOSS START UP WAS TERRIFYING, completely black space and just seeing that boss zoom into you from being so small scared the hell out of me. But it was so awesome.

Serra

Not too far off from S-Ranking Dark Souls on the PC.

Im on NG+ right now on my main (str build)

Need to cut off Priscilla's Tail for the drop, kill Seath and then get the other ending. Blitz through NG++ to kill Sif and gain access to the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo to craft the last boss soul weapon I need for Knight's Honour achievement. I am also missing the silver knight straight sword so I need to farm that in Anor Londo too.

Then finally blitz through the game on my mage to get all the sorcery spells.

Shouldn't take too long as I feel my knowledge of the areas and bosses is pretty good so I can basically run through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom