• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

Also posted this in the console DLC release thread:

I can't tell if my character is too weak, I'm specced wrong, or I'm just out of practice. I haven't played Dark Souls since December of last year after I platinum'd it. I played as a pure melee character, so I don't really have any spells. I'm around level 120, and I believe halfway through NG+++. My best weapons from what I can tell are a Fire Spear +10, Demon's Greataxe +15, BK Halberd +5, and Lightning Iaito +10. I have a horrible memory when it comes to coming back to games like this, even though it was my 2011 GotY.

Killing the Hydra and the Armored Boars at the Archives was actually pretty tough and took a few tries to do. The first boss of the DLC is just wrecking me. I just can't tell what the problem is, if I should level up because the enemies are too strong or I just need to practice more.

I can't tell if my character is too weak, I'm specced wrong, or I'm just out of practice. I haven't played Dark Souls since December of last year after I platinum'd it. I played as a pure melee character, so I don't really have any spells. I'm around level 120, and I believe halfway through NG+++. My best weapons from what I can tell are a Fire Spear +10, Demon's Greataxe +15, BK Halberd +5, and Lightning Iaito +10. I have a horrible memory when it comes to coming back to games like this, even though it was my 2011 GotY.

Killing the Hydra and the Armored Boars at the Archives was actually pretty tough and took a few tries to do. The first boss of the DLC is just wrecking me. I just can't tell what the problem is, if I should level up because the enemies are too strong or I just need to practice more.

Practice. Your equipment is fine. The armored boars are super resistant to physical attacks and the DLC enemies on NG+ hit hard and are super aggressive.

What is your equip load? They nerfed the DWGR so if you were ninja flipping before, chances are you will have medium run/roll now. I suggest sacrificing poise and wearing light equipment to stay under 25%. Being able to run fast and evade helps a lot in the DLC.

Celegus

Oh geez, under 25% now? I thought something seemed off. It was pretty hard to hit <50% but I'll give lighter armor a shot. I was running with upgraded Elite Knight armor and Havel's or Artorias' Greatshield. I like to be able to take a hit, but I'll try some other stuff out. Thanks for the advice!

Practice. Your equipment is fine. The armored boars are super resistant to physical attacks and the DLC enemies on NG+ hit hard and are super aggressive.

What is your equip load? They nerfed the DWGR so if you were ninja flipping before, chances are you will have medium run/roll now. I suggest sacrificing poise and wearing light equipment to stay under 25%. Being able to run fast and evade helps a lot in the DLC.
The ninja flipping is gone?!?! Just got the dlc and started a new character..

maomaoIYP

I suggest sacrificing poise and wearing light equipment to stay under 25%. Being able to run fast and evade helps a lot in the DLC.

I like that the DWGR has been nerfed, it frees up a ring slot and there's a lot of new freedom with equipment selection. Poise can be just made up using the Wolf Ring anyway.

So....what does everyone think of pursurers? I love that magic users finally get some love. It's still not difficult to counter though.

Celegus

I finally facetanked my way through the first DLC boss. I tried the light armor / ninja flip thing but I don't know his tells well enough and got killed really quickly. Threw on Havel's armor, blocked everything until I had an opening, and pounded his face with my giant axe. Progress through the next area is... slow. I'm so hilariously out of practice at this game.

don't forget, elementals are also nerfed a bit

So I managed to solo O&S at level 40 last night, nothing too amazing but it's the first time I tried soloing them. It was pretty tough, as expected. I didn't use any ridiculous attack boosting tricks like Power Within or Red Tearstone, so I wasn't doing enough damage to go nuts. Killed Smough first because super Orstein is a push-over honestly. But soloing them really makes me appreciate the fight to the fullest, it really forces me to mind my positioning so I don't get flanked and instant-die.

At first I tried to kill Orstein first, but his defense is so high and he's so mobile it's much harder. Trivial moves like Orstein's side-hop becomes terrifying when solo because not only did you lose your chance to attack, you're now sandwiched between them, so you need to give up attacking and find a better position. Little things like that really make me appreciate the game more when I'm playing it differently.

Played an INT build for the first time, crystal weapon buff is so much fun, it looks cool, buffs damage, and I can use it multiple times, but I'm slightly underwhelmed by the damage output, it's probably because I didn't put enough points into INT and I'm using a shit catalyst.

I finally facetanked my way through the first DLC boss. I tried the light armor / ninja flip thing but I don't know his tells well enough and got killed really quickly. Threw on Havel's armor, blocked everything until I had an opening, and pounded his face with my giant axe. Progress through the next area is... slow. I'm so hilariously out of practice at this game.

I did the opposite for
Manus
, I initially went in with heavy armor and medium roll but he just did way too much damage on NG+ for me to tank it, and I couldn't get the medium roll timing right at all. So I put on Painting Guardian set, put on DWGR, and ninja flipped my way to victory.

Guevara

I ninja flipped my way to victory against Artorias last night. That's a really fun fight. I was only able to do damage on him safely after a few of his moves (
crouching jump, long slide thrust
). Light and mobile is the way to go here.

Although it took me like 10 tries, it never felt hopeless like O&S did the first time I attempted them solo.

Trolling invaders with Silver Pendant is really funny. There was this one invader that lead the people into the elevator and then Emit Force'd every of the platform, hilarious! Just had a good Manus fight but just when he was doing the summoner died to too :(

edit: Chesters hat / no clothes + Silver Pendants x 100 + Prostration stance = one confused invader

Soulhouf

Okay! So Manus's tail won't go off no matter what lol
I tried in my NG and now in NG+, after many failures, I decided to go and check the wiki... *facepalm*

Oh boy, that reminds me my effortless (and countless) tries against the Titanite Demon in the beginning of the game...

Okay! So Manus's tail won't go off no matter what lol
I tried in my NG and now in NG+, after many failures, I decided to go and check the wiki... *facepalm*

Oh boy, that reminds me my effortless (and countless) tries against the Titanite Demon in the beginning of the game...

Yeah, it's weird how the tail is always on the ground and it's like NOPE. And then Kalameet who never puts the tail down has one, dang.

I am an awful summon, out of 11 tries, 0 clears :|

Yeah, it's weird how the tail is always on the ground and it's like NOPE. And then Kalameet who never puts the tail down has one, dang.

I am an awful summon, out of 11 tries, 0 clears :|

I remember one of my summon experience in Anor Londo, an egghead guy summoned me and another person, we got all the way to super Smough, then I got instant killed by his butt-slam. I assumed that the 2 of them where probably enough to get through. So I started invading people, and I invaded THE SAME GUY, so I guess he didn't survive after all. I almost didn't want to kill him because I can tell from his gear that he's new but I still did it for the comedy. Then I redeemed myself by getting summoned by him AGAIN and helping him finally beat O&S.

So I'm pretty much the most scumbag white phantom ever

MechaX

Most of it is the fact that the DLC enemies do a lot of damage compared to when you would typically visit the area on first playthrough (mostly meant for SL 80+ characters). It's like going into the Painted World immediately after Anor Londo and scratching your head on how and why these grunt enemies do so much damage all of a sudden. I was floored when Dark Sorcery was taking off so much health on NG+.

And combine that with how NG+ makes each boss tank-like (high HP and higher resistances than most of the main game bosses), and well.. you get the rest.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, dat pendant reveal.

I mean, it was kind of obvious all along, but still. Brilliantly played.

Manus = "a human who goes crazy over a pendant"
Hahaha, brilliantly played.

Jawmuncher

I'm playing right now and just got all 4 of the Big Boss souls.
Gotta say though, I don't know whats going on but the game seems a lot easier now.
I guess it's my Equipment and Soul Level or something

Off the top of my head im soul level like 23
With my important stats
Strength
Stamina
Health
Dexterity

all at least 25

Dresden

SL1 run is actually difficult now thanks to the DLC bosses. Those guys tank split ele damage like nothing else.

It's kinda funny how the SL1 run has become harder and harder with the patches. Once upon a time any lowbie could take a Crystal Ring Shield and capnamerica his way to victory.

Soulhouf

OMG the new spell Dark Bead is so powerful.
The bigger the boss, the faster it dies since it eats all the hits.
I one shot Sif with it :'(

maomaoIYP

I really must learn from my mistakes and quit playing when I'm sleepy. Just lost 44 humanity and 900K because I dozed off trying to retrieve my bloodstain.

Soulhouf

I really must learn from my mistakes and quit playing when I'm sleepy. Just lost 44 humanity and 900K because I dozed off trying to retrieve my bloodstain.

I'm sorry to hear that...
Why don't you equip the Ring of sacrifice when you go to retrieve your bloodstain?

Strife91

Hey guys! I'm currently building a pyromancer character. I'm wondering what's the best way to make a really powerful one.

I've upgraded my pyromany flame to max(15+?). Apparently the flame scales on Intelligence, but I don't know if I want to put any more points there. My characters physical attacks are already really weak.

Serra

Apparently the flame scales on Intelligence, but I don't know if I want to put any more points there. My characters physical attacks are already really weak.

It does not scale on intelligence. Intelligence only affects the damage the actual pyro glove does when you hit people with it.

For example, it won't affect the damage a fireball will do.

Pyromancy can still be affect by items that increase sorcery damage such as the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.

EDIT: to answer your question in my opinion going with a "pure" pyromancer, who relies on firespells to do damage, is not really viable. Pyromancy is a good addition for all melee characters (iron flesh, flash sweat) but I don't think it will purely carry you through the game. What soul level are you and how far are you into the game?

EasyMode

Hey guys! I'm currently building a pyromancer character. I'm wondering what's the best way to make a really powerful one.

I've upgraded my pyromany flame to max(15+?). Apparently the flame scales on Intelligence, but I don't know if I want to put any more points there. My characters physical attacks are already really weak.

You can ascend that flame and upgrade it another 5 times.
There's a trainer in Blighttown that appears when you reach +10. She's at the bottom sitting next to a pillar towards those boulder throwing troll guys. She has powerful pyro spells.

Strife91

It does not scale on intelligence. Intelligence only affects the damage the actual pyro glove does when you hit people with it.

For example, it won't affect the damage a fireball will do.

Pyromancy can still be affect by items that increase sorcery damage such as the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.

EDIT: to answer your question in my opinion going with a "pure" pyromancer, who relies on firespells to do damage, is not really viable. Pyromancy is a good addition for all melee characters (iron flesh, flash sweat) but I don't think it will purely carry you through the game. What soul level are you and how far are you into the game?

I see. I'm level 28 and I'm in Anor Londo.

Guevara

It seems like there really isn't a viable play style that doesn't rely on melee at least somewhat. Magic is very powerful in the game, but with limited castings you'll always default to a weapon for dealing with mobs. That's one thing I'd like to see changed in future Souls games actually.

Soulhouf

It seems like there really isn't a viable play style that doesn't rely on melee at least somewhat. Magic is very powerful in the game, but with limited castings you'll always default to a weapon for dealing with mobs. That's one thing I'd like to see changed in future Souls games actually.

Pyromancy is very limited but sorcery is not. You have much more castings. As a sorcerer, right from the beginning you have like 60 castings of soul arrows, which is more than enough.

Guys, I was just watching Kotti at http://www.twitch.tv/thekotti speed run DS. Well, on one of his attempts, he came to fight a Black Knight in Darkroot Basin, and the Knight didn't have enough strength/endurance to use it's own Halberd. He was swinging slow, and he was also overburdened.

It was a very unusual glitch, but has anyone else seen enemies move with slow movement before?

I'll try to get a link to the video when he finishes his run.

Guys, I was just watching Kotti at http://www.twitch.tv/thekotti speed run DS. Well, on one of his attempts, he came to fight a Black Knight in Darkroot Basin, and the Knight didn't have enough strength/endurance to use it's own Halberd. He was swinging slow, and he was also overburdened.

It was a very unusual glitch, but has anyone else seen enemies move with slow movement before?

I'll try to get a link to the video when he finishes his run.

Is Kotti doing the speedrun w/ glitch that allows for under 40 minute completion times? I'm looking for speedruns without that jump into pit and quit glitch being used.

Despera

Banned
Just bought the DLC off of PSN even though I already own the PC version. Gotta do coop with some friends who only got the PS3 game.

btw, this the first time I've ever purchased DLC. Guess it's a way of showing my appreciation to the awesome guys and gals at From Soft.

maomaoIYP

I'm sorry to hear that...
Why don't you equip the Ring of sacrifice when you go to retrieve your bloodstain?
I was sleepy, and getting a little too cocky for my own good. =(

Is Kotti doing the speedrun w/ glitch that allows for under 40 minute completion times? I'm looking for speedruns without that jump into pit and quit glitch being used.

This one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHJ90zZETA&feature=relmfu

Ok, the video is at 1:15:06-ish.

http://www.twitch.tv/thekotti/b/338371247

LOL. Watch it for a couple minutes, you'll see what I mean.

How the hell did he do that glitch? It looks odd as shit, as if he stripped the black knight's stats.

Akito

How the hell did he do that glitch? It looks odd as shit, as if he stripped the black knight's stats.
Exacly the same glitch happened to me a couple of hours ago, on the same Black Knight and also on a speed run-though so it may be reproducible lol

Exacly the same glitch happened to me a couple of hours ago, on the same Black Knight and also on a speed run-though so it may be reproducible lol

Challenge Accepted. Hahaha, Next time I load up DkS, I'll try to check him out on a new character. Soooo... Odd!

Jawmuncher

Beat the game yesterday for the first time ever.
Went with a Pyromancer. By the end I was level 80 and hand my Pyromancy Flame at +12.
Loved the game but I have to say after I beat Ornstein and Smough it sort of petered out.
I don't know why, but it felt like it got really easy after that. A lot of the fun I had especially in the beginning of the game was getting my ass beat and trying all sorts of different techniques to get through.

The last boss though was a bit of a pain until I tried beating him with parrying though.
Seriously parrying with a Hornet Ring and Fire Sword just breaks that boss fight immensly.

Regardless still loved the hell out of it and will probably play it again to get the Evil ending.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, very odd indeed. Going through so fast that the poor BK doesn't have time to level up!

"Oh no, here comes that guy... nrrrgh! Got to... nngha! Get him!... Mmmmrrrrmust... try! Grrrawwwgghhhoohhh dead."

Edit: Congrats Jawmuncher! Maybe you were just burnt out with it by the end, so the last part didn't seem like such a rush.
Take a little break from it, come back in NG+ (or start a fresh build) and grab the new content before checking out the other ending. You shalln't regret it!

Jawmuncher

Haha, very odd indeed. Going through so fast that the poor BK doesn't have time to level up!

"Oh no, here comes that guy... nrrrgh! Got to... nngha! Get him!... Mmmmrrrrmust... try! Grrrawwwgghhhoohhh dead."

Edit: Congrats Jawmuncher! Maybe you were just burnt out with it by the end, so the last part didn't seem like such a rush.
Take a little break from it, come back in NG+ (or start a fresh build) and grab the new content before checking out the other ending. You shalln't regret it!

Yeah I think that might have been it. I was working with a bit of a dead line.
I'm definetly grabbing the DLC and playing a NG+ though in a month or two!

My DEX build is going well and making progress. I've done something I've never done in Dark Souls before; summon help with every boss fight. I've done it once it twice and certainly played in other players games before, but with my two other characters I never summoned people in to help. It's been great :D

I was using an Estoc +7 which is a both good and utterly shit. It's very fast and can stab whilst guarding, but it's rather weak. I might convert it into a Lightning one later. I've since switched to an Uchigatana which is AWESOME. I am considering converting it into a Chaos Blade as I've never tried one out before, despite making one for my Platinum build.

Still not played the DLC :)

Loved the game but I have to say after I beat Ornstein and Smough it sort of petered out.
A lot of people feel like this.

I always spend a lot of time co-oping and waiting for invaders in Sen's because (it's an awesome area and) I know after Anor Londo it all gets a little less awesome (Dukes is another favourite though). The first half of the game is definately stronger.

Jawmuncher

A lot of people feel like this.

I always spend a lot of time co-oping and waiting for invaders in Sen's because (it's an awesome area and) I know after Anor Londo it all gets a little less awesome (Dukes is another favourite though). The first half of the game is definately stronger.

Glad to know it wasn't just me.

Soulhouf

So....what does everyone think of pursurers? I love that magic users finally get some love. It's still not difficult to counter though.

It's very effective against invaders if they don't have the silver pendant.
But I hate spells that take 2 slots -_-

Dark Bead on the other hand is a very powerful and multi usage spell. Very effective against bosses and invaders as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom