• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosh

*cough* It's not just a clone, if you're into the game's lore entering that area should've had you creaming your pants.

Ha, would you care to elaborate? I loved the dlc, if only because it means more Dark Souls, but what's so fantastic about the Royal Wood?

Celegus

Just bought the DLC off of PSN even though I already own the PC version. Gotta do coop with some friends who only got the PS3 game.

btw, this the first time I've ever purchased DLC. Guess it's a way of showing my appreciation to the awesome guys and gals at From Soft.

This was my first DLC purchase as well. I hope it sold well for them, which it seems to have. This is the right way to do DLC - actual new content, not overpriced costumes.

Hey GAF:

Well it's mid-week again, (if you've been following) so that means a new episode in my hunter-style playthrough is going up!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL964jgaL-2u-XMgFTXZi0BsGrvcLa0hjL&feature=plcp

In episode 5, I head into Sen's Fortress and make pretty short work of it.

If you don't know, this playlist is kinda like a compressed Let's Play, where emphasis is on the important bits, and all the filler is edited out. I pretty much cram a 45 minute-1 hour gameplay session into >15 minute episode. With post-play commentary as well, so check it out!

maomaoIYP

It's very effective against invaders if they don't have the silver pendant.
But I hate spells that take 2 slots -_-

Dark Bead on the other hand is a very powerful and multi usage spell. Very effective against bosses and invaders as well.

Dark Bead is insane, it has a tiny cast time and very hard to roll away from. Pursurers just means that everyone's switched to Crest shield, it blocks it without any problems.

Dyno

My DEX build is going well and making progress. I've done something I've never done in Dark Souls before; summon help with every boss fight. I've done it once it twice and certainly played in other players games before, but with my two other characters I never summoned people in to help. It's been great :D

I was using an Estoc +7 which is a both good and utterly shit. It's very fast and can stab whilst guarding, but it's rather weak. I might convert it into a Lightning one later. I've since switched to an Uchigatana which is AWESOME. I am considering converting it into a Chaos Blade as I've never tried one out before, despite making one for my Platinum build.

Still not played the DLC :)

I'm playing a similar character : a Pyromancer who uses Dex. weapons. I use both the uchigatana and the estoc.

The uchi is B rated for Dex and if you keep reinforcing it becomes an A rated weapon. That is why you should simply build up the uchi to +15. It will do high damage, can still use resins, and will be competitive.

The estoc however is a D-C Str-Dex weapon and once reinforced can become D-B. Not the best for a weapon that runs off stats. It is therefore a great weapon to make fire or lightning because it won't run off stats.

That's the basic strategy for weapon building. If it can eventually give you an A rank or higher, straight reinforcement. If it stays in the D, C, or B range, that's when you should think of converting it to elemental or magic/divine.

I'm playing a similar character : a Pyromancer who uses Dex. weapons. I use both the uchigatana and the estoc.

The uchi is B rated for Dex and if you keep reinforcing it becomes an A rated weapon. That is why you should simply build up the uchi to +15. It will do high damage, can still use resins, and will be competitive.

The estoc however is a D-C Str-Dex weapon and once reinforced can become D-B. Not the best for a weapon that runs off stats. It is therefore a great weapon to make fire or lightning because it won't run off stats.

That's the basic strategy for weapon building. If it can eventually give you an A rank or higher, straight reinforcement. If it stays in the D, C, or B range, that's when you should think of converting it to elemental or magic/divine.

Cheers. I am tempted to maybe +15 the Uchi (I have one on an older build and it was rad), and buy another one to convert to Chaos Blade to try it out.

Hmm Lightning Estoc would be cool :)

Dresden

C or B is fine, B in particular. Also note that weapons with the same stat-scale rank doesn't necessarily scale in the same way.

If it's split between C/C you can just invest in both and reap the benefits from both stats (27/40 for str/dex split commonly).

Right now, +15 is better than elemental in almost every way, after the nerf, and the way the new bosses are built to tank split damage.

Soulhouf

WTF I just discovered that magic long bow + Moonlight arrows is very powerful. The 80 magic damage of the arrows is added to the bow's base damage + S scaling applied to that = win.
I didn't know bow magic ascension was a viable solution...

This is the 1st time I play a magician, so I still discover new things everyday...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
WTF I just discovered that magic long bow + Moonlight arrows is very powerful. The 80 magic damage of the arrows is added to the bow's base damage + S scaling applied to that = win.
I didn't know bow magic ascension was a viable solution...

This is the 1st time I play a magician, so I still discover new things everyday...
Would that make a significant increase over the traditional Dex build and Pharis +15?

dosh

I was using an Estoc +7 which is a both good and utterly shit. It's very fast and can stab whilst guarding, but it's rather weak. I might convert it into a Lightning one later. I've since switched to an Uchigatana which is AWESOME. I am considering converting it into a Chaos Blade as I've never tried one out before, despite making one for my Platinum build.

If you've never tried it, and since your character is focused on Dex, you might want to take a look at the great scythe (B scale on Dex).
Over time, it has become my favorite weapon, along with some uchigatana and rapier here and there. A +15 great scythe enchanted with crystal magic weapon does some really nasty damages, with great reach and bleed. And it offers some pretty nice moves (the forward+R2 is mean).
I also converted one to +5 lightning for my SL50 character: been really fun to play :)

maomaoIYP

Would that make a significant increase over the traditional Dex build and Pharis +15?

Most likely you're not going to make that swap even if it's better, both would require substantial investment into dex/mag to make it worth it. Also a Magic build plays differently from a Dex build.

deim0s

My third run in the game... farming humanity with the skelly-kids. Am wondering why Patches won't go to Firelink?

Should I kill Nito first before he sets up there or my response should be no when he asked to forgive him?

Soulhouf

I don't think so. A pure dex build will always be stronger with bows, especially Pharis. But I didn't expect the result to be that good.

Also a Magic build plays differently from a Dex build.

Sure, but it's always useful when you start attacking an enemy with your bow to get his attention and you see that the hit takes a good chunk of his health. When he comes at you, you finish him with a soul arrow.

maomaoIYP

That....is amazing.

Sure, but it's always useful when you start attacking an enemy with your bow to get his attention and you see that the hit takes a good chunk of his health. When he comes at you, you finish him with a soul arrow.
Oh I know what you're saying, I'm just saying to Jackben that it's not advisable to swap mid way through his character build if he's already been working on building dex.

If you've never tried it, and since your character is focused on Dex, you might want to take a look at the great scythe (B scale on Dex).
Over time, it has become my favorite weapon, along with some uchigatana and rapier here and there. A +15 great scythe enchanted with crystal magic weapon does some really nasty damages, with great reach and bleed. And it offers some pretty nice moves (the forward+R2 is mean).
I also converted one to +5 lightning for my SL50 character: been really fun to play :)

Nice one, cheers. Y'know, I've never played with weapon buffing before from items like "Magic Weapon" etc. That's Faith based, right? I guess I'd probably need quite high Faith to use Crystal Magic Weapon...

Will try it out once I've gone to Catacombs. :D

dosh

Nice one, cheers. Y'know, I've never played with weapon buffing before from items like "Magic Weapon" etc. That's Faith based, right? I guess I'd probably need quite high Faith to use Crystal Magic Weapon...

Will try it out once I've gone to Catacombs. :D

Magic Weapon is Int based actually. You will need 25 to cast Crystal Magic Weapon (15 for Great Magic Weapon). Not quite worth putting tons of souls into it you're really far from the 25 goal, but I've had some fun with it :)

The Balder Side Sword is really nice, too, if you prefer swords: pierce and slash moves, decent damages, nice design, and pretty cool to use.

Magic Weapon is Int based actually. You will need 25 to cast Crystal Magic Weapon (15 for Great Magic Weapon). Not quite worth putting tons of souls into it you're really far from the 25 goal, but I've had some fun with it :)

The Balder Side Sword is really nice, too, if you prefer swords: pierce and slash moves, decent damages, nice design, and pretty cool to use.

Ah OK, cool. I might try that out on my INT build then, he is INT 50 :)

Akito

My third run in the game... farming humanity with the skelly-kids. Am wondering why Patches won't go to Firelink?

Should I kill Nito first before he sets up there or my response should be no when he asked to forgive him?

It doesn't matter if you forgive him or not but yeah, you need to defeat Nito first.

Celegus

Are there any decently fast weapons that are strength based? My quicker weapons I used before the patch aren't doing a thing to Manus (Fire Spear +10 & Lightning Iaito +5). I have 50 strength and tend to use giant axes/swords, but would prefer something quicker for this fight.

And there's still no way to respec, correct? I have way too many points in Faith and do nothing with it (I dumped a lot in when I was pretty much finished with the game last year just to use the Grant).

Akito

Are there any decently fast weapons that are strength based? My quicker weapons I used before the patch aren't doing a thing to Manus (Fire Spear +10 & Lightning Iaito +5). I have 50 strength and tend to use giant axes/swords, but would prefer something quicker for this fight.

And there's still no way to respec, correct? I have way too many points in Faith and do nothing with it (I dumped a lot in when I was pretty much finished with the game last year just to use the Grant).
Black Knight Greataxe or Man Serpent Greatsword. And yeah, there's no respec option.

Celegus

BK Greataxe? Hm, I'll try it out. I figured it would be about the same speed as my demon's greataxe. I'll try the other one too and see how I like it, thanks for the tip.

BK Greataxe? Hm, I'll try it out. I figured it would be about the same speed as my demon's greataxe. I'll try the other one too and see how I like it, thanks for the tip.

Don't remember if it's moveset is different but it's clearly one of the best weapons in the game.

My new favorite weapon is the Gold Tracer, it looks cool and the blood loss is so devastating. One combo -> 1900 damage for my char.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Question: What would be the best straight sword overall damage-wise for a Knight class base-SL. Would it be the Divine Broadsword +10, or the Occult Broadsword +5, or something else?

Anteater

I just noticed my character looks like michael j fox in drag, damn it

9GhPZ.jpg

I just found out that the Black Knight Greataxe was nerfed in the Prepare To Die console patch... what a bummer lol.

With wich weapon could I replace it? I got 42 STR, not really interested in buffs.

Sullichin

I just found out that the Black Knight Greataxe was nerfed in the Prepare To Die console patch... what a bummer lol.

With wich weapon could I replace it? I got 42 STR, not really interested in buffs.
It's still good with the nerf.

You could go with the Demon Great Machete, Large Club, Great Club, reinforced club, Demon Great Axe (2H), Greatsword... lots of strength weapons. With a DGA+15 and power within, you can kill bosses incredibly fast.

Are there any cool... sorcery armor sets you can pick up early game? Like robes, etc?

Look up the crimson set, which you can get very early on by taking the back entrance to blighttown (easiest with master key). You'll also get the tin banishment catalyst which has a melee attack that's pretty damn good for the early game.

2AdEPT

My DEX build is going well and making progress. I've done something I've never done in Dark Souls before; summon help with every boss fight. I've done it once it twice and certainly played in other players games before, but with my two other characters I never summoned people in to help. It's been great :D

Still not played the DLC :)
You might want to try the washing pole for a dex build....not as good stat count for damage as uchi but once you go big you never go back.

say no to gt more humanity off him...then kill nito first unfortunately.
Are there any cool... sorcery armor sets you can pick up early game? Like robes, etc?

Most mentioned...definitely get crimson/tin catalyst early quickly followed by the dusk crown then the bellowing drgoncrest ring from griggs in lower burg. Logans looks best for later, but is also the best once upgraded...witches is prolly good also but I never seem to get it as I rarely hire Beatrice for 4 kings.

You might want to try the washing pole for a dex build....not as good stat count for damage as uchi but once you go big you never go back.

Funny you mention that, I bought a Washing Pole and two extra Uchi's last night. I forgot to acsend them past +5 though and I am just about to go into Anor Lando. IIRC Giant Blacksmith won't be able to do that. I do have my usual +10 Uchi which I am going to turn into a Chaos Blade.

Will then try out an Uci Lightning and maybe Washing Pole Lightning too. Who knows!

Celegus

Black Knight Greataxe is a beast! Dunno why I never tried it before, but I took down NG+++ Manus with it on my second try. Time to take down that dragon now!

Black Knight Greataxe is a beast! Dunno why I never tried it before, but I took down NG+++ Manus with it on my second try. Time to take down that dragon now!

It is! But since I read it was nerfed with the patch... It does not feel the same to me, lol. I wonder exactly how much was the downgrade, in terms of stats.

I will try the Demon Great Axe+15, as suggested by Sullichin above.

Thanks for all the robe suggestions. :)

Also, could I get some advice on sorcery builds?

Should I go heavy into Intelligence right off the bat, or only raise it to a certain point and focus on endurance/vitality?

Or should you even mess with vitality, since you're not wearing much armor it seems like you're going to die in one hit to anything challenging, anyway.

I suppose I should try and look up what weapon I'd want to end up using, so I can slowly put whatever points into strength and dex that I'd need.

maomaoIYP

Thanks for all the robe suggestions. :)

Also, could I get some advice on sorcery builds?

Should I go heavy into Intelligence right off the bat, or only raise it to a certain point and focus on endurance/vitality?

Or should you even mess with vitality, since you're not wearing much armor it seems like you're going to die in one hit to anything challenging, anyway.

I suppose I should try and look up what weapon I'd want to end up using, so I can slowly put whatever points into strength and dex that I'd need.

I have a SL 79 sorcerer I use for PvP.
Vit 20
Att 23
End 8
Str 9
Dex 12
Int 50
Fai 28

I pretty much leveled my Vit till 20 and dumped everything into Int. Str 9 is for heater shield, and dex 12 is for enchanted bandit knife / rapier. Fai 28 is for WoG. The logic behind this glass cannon build is to rely solely on magic, miracles and pyromancy. You should always be firing spells from range anyway, so you don't need Vit or End.

Celegus

It is! But since I read it was nerfed with the patch... It does not feel the same to me, lol. I wonder exactly how much was the downgrade, in terms of stats.

I will try the Demon Great Axe+15, as suggested by Sullichin above.

That's one of the weapons I was using before. It sure hits hard, but is just too slow to use in certain situations especially bosses. I definitely prefer the BK axe.

Soulhouf

@Wuthering_Heights
IMO there are at least 3 different sorcery builds in addition to the one maomaoIYP suggested:

1- Pure sorcerer: you increase int to 50 and att to 23. You can put some points into End and the rest into Vit.

Vit > 20
Att 23
End > 8
Str 9
Dex 12
Int 50
Fai 8

2- A mix sorcerer + str/dex build for weapon buff: less att, more points to end, Vit and str or dex to use crystal weapon magic buff.

Vit > 20
Att 16
End > 20
Str 27 or
Dex 40
Int 50
Fai 8

3- Moonlight greatsword build: this one is a special build because you don't need to put many points in att, but use the R2 attack instead and always have repair powder on you to repair the weapon. Repair powder = Fresh/Old Spice in Demon's Souls in this case.

Vit > 20
Att 16
End > 20
Str 16
Dex 12
Int 40
Fai 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom