• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

@Wuthering_Heights
IMO there are at least 3 differ
3- Moonlight greatsword build: this one is a special build because you don't need to put many points in att, but use the R2 attack instead and always have repair powder on you to repair the weapon. Repair powder = Fresh/Old Spice in Demon's Souls in this case.

Vit > 20
Att 16
End > 20
Str 16
Dex 12
Int 40
Fai 8

Don't even need anything more than 12 or so Att for MLGS, really. You just won't be casting much, if at all. Same goes for Dex; 10 for the sword itself is sufficient.

Another benefit is that because the MSGS is so good, Int becomes a viable stat for just raising your AR, and as a result you can also stack Vit to 40+.

Dyno

A pro-tip I want to offer is something I've discovered on this run through with a new character.

Upgrade your equipment and buy items as much as you can before you buy levels.

If I had the stones to upgrade my weapons I would. If I had a big chunk of souls I would upgrade my pyro glove. I bought new spells over anything else. I would only up my stats if I had lots of souls and nothing to buy with them.

The result was I was 45th level after Anor Londo and I hadn't yet gone into the Darkwood areas. I had Ascended Pyro Flame +5, Lightning Estoc +5, Uchigatana +10, and Gargoyle Helm +5 (best helm pound for pound.)

And nothing could touch me. It's become like a starter level. Everything was one shot or two shot. I was stun locking the Darkroot guardians and killing them with one stamina bar. Sif was way too easy: Three Chaos Fireballs and maybe half a dozen swings of the katana. I used two estus the whole fight!

Because you get so powerful with gear you barely die! It means you save time and never lose any souls. Because I cannot upgrade or buy anything else that I want I ended up earning 20 levels in the Darkroot areas. I have not had to grind at all in this playthrough.

Also the lower your level, the more you get summoned. I see now there is no point in even having a character approach 100 level or higher. You can play a very effective role (like Pyro/Dex or Faith/Str) and be done levelling by 50th level, 75th level for something uber. A 100 level build is for a character that wants to do it all.

Levelling is the last thing you want to do - which is very counter-intuitive to a life-long RPGer like me. Learning the game is best, then equipment, then levels. Who knew?!?

dosh

I have not had to grind at all in this playthrough.

On that note, I heard a lot of my friends complaining about the necessity to grind in order to get to higher SL/upgrade gear. They always seem shocked when I explain that all they have to do is spend a an hour or so getting summoned in front of the Iron Golem or S&O. It's a lot of fun and that means tons of souls and humanities (and sunlight medals) just getting handed to you.

Soulhouf

Don't even need anything more than 12 or so Att for MLGS, really. You just won't be casting much, if at all. Same goes for Dex; 10 for the sword itself is sufficient.

Another benefit is that because the MSGS is so good, Int becomes a viable stat for just raising your AR, and as a result you can also stack Vit to 40+.

Right!
You can also stop Str at 12 and 2H your sword.

Sullichin

What exactly was the nerf?
I loaded my strength character and tried it and that weapon still has more than 600 physical damage and decent speed for a weapon that strong.

I've read that only the R1 attack was nerfed (but who would use the R2 on that weapon anyway?) . I tested it out on one of my PS3 strength characters and it still seems really strong, I couldn't even notice a difference, so it still seems pretty great with this supposed nerf to me! It has been a while since I used the weapon previously though. I don't have a character that uses it on PC, which is where the nerf was first reported, maybe it's only there. I also read that the AR is unchanged in the menus, but the R1s do less damage. I haven't noticed.

By the Gods..

Sen's Fortress is brutal as a low-level pure sorc.

Best bet is probably to lead the snake men into the traps.

Dresden

With the visual glitch in the AotA areas, I can't see dark magics cast at me and it's making rolling those orbs and such so much harder. >.>

e: just got to the chasm again and holy shit, I can't see the ghosts except from certain angles.

dosh

That speedrun is pretty amazing! Especially the S&O part like KennyLinder said!

I love how he purposely takes damages just before fighting them to trigger the Red Tearstone effect. I never used that ring, and holy shit at the buff it gives him. Queelag, for instance, really gets slaughtered, poor beast.
I'm going to try this in pvp, should be fun.

I love how he purposely takes damages just before fighting them to trigger the Red Tearstone effect. I never used that ring, and holy shit at the buff it gives him. Queelag, for instance, really gets slaughtered, poor beast.
I'm going to try this in pvp, should be fun.

That would be pretty great: 0 points to VIT, everything in to STR, DEX and END (for example) + Red Tearstone + Wolf Ring (or RoFaP, Cloranthy??) + lots of poise

Anything I am missing?

Voidguts

I picked this up yesterday (Steam/PTD) and already got to the gaping dragon with my co-op buddy - the only thing stressing us out so far is potentially running out of humanity somewhere down the line. I was wondering if there was an easy way to grind for it early/mid game?

Akito

I picked this up yesterday (Steam/PTD) and already got to the gaping dragon with my co-op buddy - the only thing stressing us out so far is potentially running out of humanity somewhere down the line. I was wondering if there was an easy way to grind for it early/mid game?
Early in the game: the rats in the Depths
Mid/end game: the skeleton babies in the Tomb of the Giants or Pisacas in the Duke's Archives
Best way: Humanity Phantoms in the last level of the DLC.

@the speedrun
The shortcut in the Duke's Archives and the navigation in the Tomb of the Giants blew my mind. And poor Gwyn got obliterated in like 2 seconds.

dosh

Akito summed it up. You can also get summoned and receive one humanity for each boss you help slaughter.
At this stage of the game you probably don't have anything to buff your item discovery, so grinding rats in the Depths might take a while. Also note that the more humanities you use (upper left counter), the higher your item discovery.

deim0s

Goad him to land... Use a bow, use the corners of the walls to avoid breath weapon then 2-hand weapon and hack at the heels.

Man, they weren't kidding with the PS3 DLC glitches. Half of the effects disappear, including the magic most of the time. So annoying. Also hard to see where items are, good thing I know many of them from the PC version already.

Any word of a patch?

Wowbagger

Man, they weren't kidding with the PS3 DLC glitches. Half of the effects disappear, including the magic most of the time. So annoying. Also hard to see where items are, good thing I know many of them from the PC version already.

Any word of a patch?

It still isn't fixed? Damn... guess they may be forced to release a patch then. But will they? They have been pretty stingy with patches. :/

It's just a network issue, though, so playing in offline mode is an option.

Soulhouf

Any word of a patch?

The glitch wasn't there before last night. WTF?
Did they do something?

Currently playing with my dex build and I'm at a point where I can invest some points into Int or Faith. Int for GMW at 15 int or possibly either Darkmoon or Sunblade with 30 Faith, but the requirements for Darkmoon is kinda steep.
Chameleon, Repair, Hidden Weapon and Fall Control seems useful. Cast Light situational in one place.
Then there's WoG, Replenishment, Great Lightning Spear, Homeward, and Great Heal. Just looking at what faith has doesn't entice me to go that route.
Don't want to invest points into a stat that I'll regret later >_>

Thought the glitching was just me, it just started a couple of days ago and I thought I'd scratched the disk or my PS3 was on it's way out.

Hope they fix this real soon, this could destroy online play.

Soulhouf

Thought the glitching was just me, it just started a couple of days ago and I thought I'd scratched the disk or my PS3 was on it's way out.

Hope they fix this real soon, this could destroy online play.

Same here.
Did they make a silent update that introduced that glitch or something? I'm sure it wasn't there before...

Sigh, I think I've done nearly everything there is to do now but conquer New Londo. I don't even know what is supposed to be DLC and what isn't, but I would rather do that if I could than go to Londo. I've gotten 3 lordsouls, a chaos weapon, and just defeated the hydra(or however man heads it had). Where is the DLC and how do I get to it?

Speaking of Londo, is it possible to go through it without cursing yourself?

Has anyone ever seen BP enemies on NG? I'm starting to wonder if eurogamer was right about this in their recent article, that they only spawn on NG+. I'm fairly certain the few times I've had them was on my original character on NG+. If there were a way to reliably spawn BP's into your world, that would seriously inject the terror back into the game. I've been summoned into a host's gravelorded Sen's and Anor Londo and it was absolutely mental.

I'm kinda dreading it, but I guess I gotta take the plunge at some point.

Transient curses last a long time. It's no big deal.

There are 6(?) transient curses throughout New Londo, and the ghosts drop them so there's really never any need to buy them.

Where is the DLC and how do I get to it?
1. Rescue Dusk (kill the Darkroot Basin Hydra, reload, then in the alcove behind is a crystal golem, kill it, Dusk appears, then she can be summoned near the tree where the armour item is.
2. Get the pendant from the golem in the first room of Dukes archive
3. Go back to the alcove where you rescued Dusk, a black mist has appeared, interact with it.

Transient curses last a long time. It's no big deal.
Cool, I'll stop being a wuss and get on it. *deep sigh*
There are 6(?) transient curses throughout New Londo, and the ghosts drop them so there's really never any need to buy them.

1. Rescue Dusk (kill the Darkroot Basin Hydra, reload, then in the alcove behind is a crystal golem, kill it, Dusk appears, then she can be summoned near the tree where the armour item is.
2. Get the pendant from the golem in the first room of Dukes archive
3. Go back to the alcove where you rescued Dusk, a black mist has appeared, interact with it.

Ah, I just defeated the hydra, so I'll get on this. Also, in the Depths, where is the key to unlock the door for whoever that is behind it? I've looked everywhere and I'm at a loss.

FatCat

After 40 hours of hard work trying to advance forth in this game, I finally got to Ash Lake.

You can't imagine the sense of relieve getting there...something so peaceful about arriving at the bottom of the world. The music is wonderful.

I have some so much more to do, this really is a daunting game, I thought I got through the hardest parts and now I have
demon ruins, tomb of giants
to crack.

Ah, I just defeated the hydra, so I'll get on this. Also, in the Depths, where is the key to unlock the door for whoever that is behind it? I've looked everywhere and I'm at a loss.
There's a bonfire behind the door, the key is in the room with the large rat, I think it's the item you can reach from the other side of the bars (not needed if you have the master key).

Dresden

Never really made a str build before, so I made one and ran him through the game (also in response to the dlc stuff).

Greatshield of Artorias really trivialized everything. Nothing better than tanking everything Manus throws at you and you still have 80% stam left.

dosh

After 40 hours of hard work trying to advance forth in this game, I finally got to Ash Lake.

You can't imagine the sense of relieve getting there...something so peaceful about arriving at the bottom of the world. The music is wonderful.

I have some so much more to do, this really is a daunting game, I thought I got through the hardest parts and now I have
demon ruins, tomb of giants
to crack.

Ash Lake is great. I got cursed on the way down, so I was really happy to find such a beautiful place. It was worth the trip.

Demon Ruins is quite straightforward, and can be quite fun. Tomb of Giants on the other hand... my first time down there was a real struggle.

FatCat

Ash Lake is great. I got cursed on the way down, so I was really happy to find such a beautiful place. It was worth the trip.

Demon Ruins is quite straightforward, and can be quite fun. Tomb of Giants on the other hand... my first time down there was a real struggle.

Will try demon ruins then; I finished the catacombs quite easily and then made the mistake of venturing into unknown territory without thinking...so tomb of giants will be for another day.

dosh

Will try demon ruins then; I finished the catacombs quite easily and then made the mistake of venturing into unknown territory without thinking...so tomb of giants will be for another day.

Well, you'll have to get to it eventually. Tomb of the giants can be a breeze if you're prepared to face what it has in store. That first time, I wasn't. At all.
(but that wasn't the hardest part, by a long, long shot)

maomaoIYP

There appears to be a strange glitch, my covenants are leveling up by themselves without me doing anything. I joined the darkwraiths, didn't do a single lick of PvP didn't donate any humanity and I'm already darkwraith +3. Heck I don't even have the red orb yet.

Dresden

There appears to be a strange glitch, my covenants are leveling up by themselves without me doing anything. I joined the darkwraiths, didn't do a single lick of PvP didn't donate any humanity and I'm already darkwraith +3. Heck I don't even have the red orb yet.

brb joining darkmoon

maomaoIYP

brb joining darkmoon

I'm gonna do that next LOL.
I don't know how the glitch activated though, but it sure is worth a try.

edit: Hmm. Donating 1 humanity does nothing, I still don't get the covenant rewards. I hope this doesn't screw up all my covenants permanently.

Hmm...I have the master key, but still can't open it. Let me run back and check it out.
Oh, maybe you mean the one down the short ladder close to the bonfire room that is by the bars that separate it from big rat room?

That door opens from the otherside, just before Domhall and the way to the gaping dragon - it's a shortcut back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom