• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

Thought the glitching was just me, it just started a couple of days ago and I thought I'd scratched the disk or my PS3 was on it's way out.

Hope they fix this real soon, this could destroy online play.

I thought it was just me as well. It only happened in the Chasm at least, Oolacile and the forest were fine.

Oh, maybe you mean the one down the short ladder close to the bonfire room that is by the bars that separate it from big rat room?

That door opens from the otherside, just before Domhall and the way to the gaping dragon - it's a shortcut back.
You know what, I actually meant the area right before the depths. My fault. The one with the poison hounds and fire at the entrance. The lower part of the city. I can't remember the name of it...

You know what, I actually meant the area right before the depths. My fault. The one with the poison hounds and fire at the entrance. The lower part of the city. I can't remember the name of it...
Lower Undead Burg - the residence key opens that, buy it from the Undead Merchant in (upper) Undead Burg - especially if you're a spellcaster.

Lower Undead Burg - the residence key opens that, buy it from the Undead Merchant in (upper) Undead Burg - especially if you're a spellcaster.
Ah, that's it. Thanks, you guys are ultra helpful. Amazing this game has so much to figure out, even when you think you know a lot about it. I really like how inputs buffer. That is my shit right there. Reminds me of the huge buffer window in killer instinct.

Guevara

I'm getting crazy summons by Artorias. What's funny is I sit there on the steps at level 60 waiting to help on Artorias but people summon me to fight the dragon.

People are terrible at fighting Artorias btw. Like, summon 2 people and still die because they rush or get caught by the bigger pounce. Take your time people! I'd say half the fights end because the summoner died.

Still love that fight.

I'm getting crazy summons by Artorias. What's funny is I sit there on the steps at level 60 waiting to help on Artorias but people summon me to fight the dragon.
I did that yesterday because there seemed to be no other place to summon for Kalameet, I walked up and down the area with the dogs getting invaded several times before I gave in and summoned from outside the Artorias steps. The phantoms seemed to know what I wanted, so it must be quite common.

Arjen

Hey guys, i always held of getting this game, affraid of the difficulty, but i decided to give it a go, copy should arive this friday. Any good beginners guides out there i can read as preperation? Thanks

Hey guys, i always held of getting this game, affraid of the difficulty, but i decided to give it a go, copy should arive this friday. Any good beginners guides out there i can read as preperation? Thanks

-Don't attack friendly NPCs
-Once you've reached firelink shrine there will be several paths for you to go, the path you're suppose to take is the one where the monsters won't instantly pound you into the dirt. Find out for yourself.
-Read item descriptions and find out what every stat does
-Resistance is a useless stat
-If you've heard of the Drake sword thing, avoid using it, the early parts of the game is crucial in teaching you the mechanics of the game and the Drake sword lets you bypass it, not a good thing.
-Shield is very important, the stability of a shield is the most important stat
-Always play patient, just because you've gone through an area before, doesn't mean you can blow through it carelessly
-Learn to backstab as early as possible
-Exploration is strongly encouraged
-Dying is not a bad thing, giving up is

You'll be fine, honestly.

I'm an absolutely terrible gamer and I didn't find it that difficult overall. The final boss ate my lunch and I had to ask for help there, but other than that.. not bad.

Have fun. :)

Booshka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c21w40cHQdE
Check out this vid, it's old, but a great crash course for the game. It helped me greatly when first playing, a lot of info that the game won't tell you and is crucial to your success in getting through the learning curve.

The game is a lot easier than you've heard of. It simply punishes you whenever you die, it always requires your concentration and the hints on how to beat bosses and areas are subtle.

Game is far too good and far too enjoyable for so many people to skip it due to its difficulty. I'm sure you've beaten a shooter or action game that was harder than this one. This game simply is very fair. Almost all your deaths will be your fault and yours alone.

Moaradin

I've been playing this game for the first time this week. I always avoided it because of hearing how crazy hard it is, but it's not that bad. Decently challenging but not insanely hard like I was expecting. Having a ton of fun though. Not sure how far into the game I am, but I'm 30 hours in and I just rang the second bell in blighttown.

Also, does anyone know how viable a paladin type build would be? Currently a strength/faith Knight build and so far it's been pretty good. Not sure if I'll end up regretting it later on though.

Dresden

Also, does anyone know how viable a paladin type build would be? Currently a strength/faith Knight build and so far it's been pretty good. Not sure if I'll end up regretting it later on though.

It'll work fine. Should decide which stat to focus on first though. Strength to 34 will let you use the best shield in the game, which trivializes a lot of the content.

SxP

Beat Ornstein and Smough! Was dreading the fight due to all the talk about it's difficulty but thankfully it only took me 3 tries. Pyromancy made the first part of the fight a cakewalk and using the pillar strategy vs. Super Smough made that even easier. If I would've tried meleeing them both I would probably still be stuck though, I tried that the first two times and got smashed.

Bought the game at launch, but I just beat it last night for the first time. In my first file I was stuck in Anor Londo at the pillar/archers run. My build wasn't very good and at the time I had Arkham City waiting to play, and unfortunately I got away from going back. Two and a half weeks ago I knew I was going to have some downtime from my job, so it was time. Followed some advice from a friend and went with a dex build.

When I finished last night, my build was something like this:

Lvl - 95(I'm thinking this really helped me out, as I'm sure this is way high for the first playthrough)
Dex - 40
End - 40
Vit - 30-32
Int - 18

Didn't really touch the other stats. I was rolling with a +15 Balder Side Sword, Bloodshield +10, and Elite Knight Armor at around +8 or so(was using Arms of Favor, though). I'm going to get into spoiler-y stuff, and I don't know if anyone tags it in this thread anymore or not, so I will.

The hardest fight for me was probably Artorias(played on 360), which is strange since it almost didn't seem that difficult. I'd take him down to 1/3 or more before making a stupid mistake, but I kept managing to repeat that scenario over and over. The other DLC bosses didn't feel quite as tough in comparison.

I summoned another player for O&S and we crushed them, but I got stomped a couple times before I did that. That seemed like a really tough fight on your own. I played with the master key and skipped most of Blighttown. Fuck that place and the framerate. I got in, farmed a bit of titanite, then ended up taking Quelaag down after a few deaths by using a +5-7 Uchigatana. I just two-handed and went for it(she kicked my ass plenty on my first character).

I think I did all the optional areas in the game. Went back to the Asylum, then to the Painted World. I chose to leave there without fighting Priscilla. I was trying to play a decent character and she was really the only character who avoided a fight. I did, however, kill Gwyndolin, as that whole scenario gave me a creepy vibe. Felt like it needed to happen.

I felt awful and was totally surprised when Solaire attacked me out of nowhere in Lost Izalith. It was surprising and I killed him more to defend myself than anything. How do you save him? I'm assuming you can.

I linked the fire at the end. It felt like the more correct decision. I saw on one of the wiki pages that it would end the suffering of the undead. The story is obviously not given outright, so if someone could help me out and elaborate for me, I'd appreciate it. Gwyn had gone into hiding why? Who was he afraid of? This inevitability? Why had he lost so much of his power again?

So. I'm even more interested in playing Demon's Souls now. I'll have to borrow a PS3 from a friend to do so, but I'm considering waiting a couple months and then going for it. Is it tough to go back to it after playing Dark Souls? Does anything in the game really feel inferior in comparison/will it be frustrating because of any systems in place? I played 1-1 before and I know the game is stage based, but beyond that I don't really know what's different between the two.

So. I'm even more interested in playing Demon's Souls now. I'll have to borrow a PS3 from a friend to do so, but I'm considering waiting a couple months and then going for it. Is it tough to go back to it after playing Dark Souls? Does anything in the game really feel inferior in comparison/will it be frustrating because of any systems in place? I played 1-1 before and I know the game is stage based, but beyond that I don't really know what's different between the two.
I think they really refined the combat and movement in Dark Souls. Going back to Demon's felt a little clunkier for me - but you get used to it. I definately got through the first few levels quicker than I originally did having come to it as a Dark Souls player. I trailed off and went back to Dark, but I really want to start a new playthrough soon, the itch is back.

Still I think the look of Demon's is better, it really gets the gothic medieval look down, where as Dark Souls is a little less.... dark!

I think they really refined the combat and movement in Dark Souls. Going back to Demon's felt a little clunkier for me - but you get used to it. I definately got through the first few levels quicker than I originally did having come to it as a Dark Souls player. I trailed off and went back to Dark, but I really want to start a new playthrough soon, the itch is back.

Still I think the look of Demon's is better, it really gets the gothic medieval look down, where as Dark Souls is a little less.... dark!

Atmosphere definitely goes a long way. One thing I was wondering, does Demon's Souls have any sort of upgrade system? Is leveling similar? Can you only level between stages?

Akito

Atmosphere definitely goes a long way. One thing I was wondering, does Demon's Souls have any sort of upgrade system? Is leveling similar? Can you only level between stages?
It has a similiar upgrade system to the one in DkS but the ingredients are much harder to find/farm for (curse the DS crystal lizards).
Yes, you can only level up in the main hub of the game.

It has a similiar upgrade system to the one in DkS but the ingredients are much harder to find/farm for (curse the DS crystal lizards).
Yes, you can only level up in the main hub of the game.

Can you exit from a stage to the hub in order to spend them, or are your souls generally at more risk in Demon's?

Akito

Can you exit from a stage to the hub in order to spend them, or are your souls generally at more risk in Demon's?
There is a miracle and item that let you do so, much like the Homeward Bone in DkS. I don't think you are generally more at risk in DS cause each stage is not that big and there are almost always clever shortcuts that leads back to the beginning of the stages.

There is a miracle and item that let you do so, much like the Homeward Bone in DkS. I don't think you are generally more at risk in DS cause each stage is not that big and there are almost always clever shortcuts that leads back to the beginning of the stages.

Ah, k. Yeah, I remember after killing that Phalanx at the end of 1-1 that a portcullis or something opened so you could walk straight through.

I linked the fire at the end. It felt like the more correct decision. I saw on one of the wiki pages that it would end the suffering of the undead. The story is obviously not given outright, so if someone could help me out and elaborate for me, I'd appreciate it. Gwyn had gone into hiding why? Who was he afraid of? This inevitability? Why had he lost so much of his power again?

He hadn't gone into hiding, he had left everything because he had to use his own body to keep the First Flame alive. He lost a lot of his power because he split his soul in several parts. Both Seath and the Four Kings got parts of it.

Daante

Had around 50 attempts earlier today to cut of the tail of Kalameet.
Watched some vids on how you are supposed to do it, but i find it really hard to execute.

The battle will continue tomorrow.

Dresden

I found that camping near the ladder got Kalameet to do the stand on back leg-> breathe black fire thing more, which let me break lock, and do a sprint attack on the tail itself. It doesn't need a lot of damage to sever as long as you hit the right spot--about 600 ish damage should do it.

He hadn't gone into hiding, he had left everything because he had to use his own body to keep the First Flame alive. He lost a lot of his power because he split his soul in several parts. Both Seath and the Four Kings got parts of it.

There isn't a beginning tag on the quote you made. I edited one in but I guess that doesn't change the quote in your post.

Anyway, thanks. That makes a bit more sense.

Watched some vids on how you are supposed to do it, but i find it really hard to execute.

Equip Greatshield of Artorias (to block everything), wait for Kalameet to do the long dash attack. Then run directly under the tail, hope that Kalameet does the tail stomp, dodge, bash away as long as you can then repeat.

Still, it took me like 45 minutes to get the tail but that move is way easier to perform than the long fire dodge IMO.

maomaoIYP

I've cut it off over 5 times now. There's only 2 attacks that leaves him open, one being the tail smash and other is the 2 legged breath attack. The problem is to recognize the difference between the 2 legged breath and the telekinesis attack. During the telekinesis attack Kalameet raises its arms looking like it's ready so squeeze something, during the breath attack the arms are limp.

When you are going solo, it is super easy to cut his tail. I got summoned to help out with a dragon with a total of 3 players in game and trying to get the tail off was a nightmare lol.

Took about 20-30 min.

The best way I think it if you have a shield that can take the force of the flying swoop attack he does. If you are holding a Greatshield and you block that attack, you will flip back from the impact and you will end up directly behind him. Not sure how much a small shield will function.

maomaoIYP

When you are going solo, it is super easy to cut his tail. I got summoned to help out with a dragon with a total of 3 players in game and trying to get the tail off was a nightmare lol.

Took about 20-30 min.

The best way I think it if you have a shield that can take the force of the flying swoop attack he does. If you are holding a Greatshield and you block that attack, you will flip back from the impact and you will end up directly behind him. Not sure how much a small shield will function.

With a small shield I just roll to the side when he swoops, then roll under this tail to activate the attack, then roll away from the smash.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That would be pretty great: 0 points to VIT, everything in to STR, DEX and END (for example) + Red Tearstone + Wolf Ring (or RoFaP, Cloranthy??) + lots of poise

Anything I am missing?
Don't think anyone answered this, so I thought I'd get back to ya!

I don't think Wolf Ring or poise in general will help at all if you're seriously planning to abuse the Red Tearstone buff. Seeing as you need a low percentage of your health for it to activate, most enemies (let alone other players) will one-shot you, making poise redundant.
FaP ring is what the guy uses, so guess you can't go wrong there. You could always try a Pyro version of "hyper mode" and use Bellowing Dragoncrest (which I believe boosts Pyro as well as Sorceries). That would mean you could concentrate on DEX (for casting speed) and END, without worrying about INT/FAI.

I haven't watched all of that run yet, but so far it's amazing. I think the only time he levels VIT is when he needs to take a more powerful hit (to activate Red Tearstone and not die) xD
But yeah, just go crazy and get back to us with your results!

Don't think anyone answered this, so I thought I'd get back to ya!

I don't think Wolf Ring or poise in general will help at all if you're seriously planning to abuse the Red Tearstone buff. Seeing as you need a low percentage of your health for it to activate, most enemies (let alone other players) will one-shot you, making poise redundant.
FaP ring is what the guy uses, so guess you can't go wrong there. You could always try a Pyro version of "hyper mode" and use Bellowing Dragoncrest (which I believe boosts Pyro as well as Sorceries). That would mean you could concentrate on DEX (for casting speed) and END, without worrying about INT/FAI.

I haven't watched all of that run yet, but so far it's amazing. I think the only time he levels VIT is when he needs to take a more powerful hit (to activate Red Tearstone and not die) xD
But yeah, just go crazy and get back to us with your results!

I was thinking about the poise for a shield that has 100% physical block so you could block at least some attacks to not die from one hit.

oh manus you and your surprise abyss balls :|

Which reminds me that I think blocking the abyss balls/black magic with Silver Pendant is the coolest thing ever.

Daante

Finally cut Kalameet tail! (YAY)

Thanks for the tips guys =)
Guess it was eaisier than i thought if you just had some patience , and block+ roll his swoop attack. What i got the most hits of though was running around him once we does his breath and the tail is on the ground.

Despera

Banned
I just farmed 4 Souvenirs of Reprisal in less than 30 minutes, with only 358 in Item Discovery.

Did they modify the Crow enemies' drop rate in the latest patch or something?

I still haven't been able to try the DLC yet... tonight is the first time in 3 weeks I've had time to wipe my own ass, let alone get anywhere near a console.

So how is the performance in comparison to the PC version? Hopefully not full of slowdown?

Beat Manus yesterday, and killed Kalameet (and got Obsidian Greatsword!) as well thanks to a very friendly and helpful phantom. I have no idea how anyone can solo Kalameet. He's probably one of the hardest bosses I've fought in this game next to Four Kings, who I had to cheese out with Iron Flesh and two-handing.

Now to go see that
Sif cutscene
I've been hearing about. I'm trying to fight Gwyndolin first, since I didn't do that during my first playthrough. Keep getting hit by his homing magic. :p

Beat Manus yesterday, and killed Kalameet (and got Obsidian Greatsword!) as well thanks to a very friendly and helpful phantom. I have no idea how anyone can solo Kalameet. He's probably one of the hardest bosses I've fought in this game next to Four Kings, who I had to cheese out with Iron Flesh and two-handing.

Kalameet is in my opinion pretty easy as the moveset is easy to figure out, plus the normal attacks (non-magic) are blockable. The problem is that he has a shit-ton of health so beating him takes ages, when you get bored you get easily killed by the magic attacks that do big amount of damage.

Arjen

Goddamn what an amazing game, so glad the promised difficulty didn't stop me. It's hard, but it's fair, i'm loving it so far.

Soulhouf

I had this weird glitch in my game where Rhea appeared in 2 different places at the same time:
- in Firelink Shrine, presumably hollow (she attacked me)
- in the church in Undead Parish like usual, except I can't speak to her

I went back and forth between the 2 places and she is still there...
What's going on? Did somebody else have this?

Booshka

I had this weird glitch in my game where Rhea appeared in 2 different places at the same time:
- in Firelink Shrine, presumably hollow (she attacked me)
- in the church in Undead Parish like usual

I went back and forth between the 2 places and she is still there...
What's going on?

Go check Duke's see if she is there as well. Also, try to Dark hand her, you should get humanity in Undead Parish and possibly Firelink, but not in Duke's. If you kill the other clerics in a weird order or too early, I think it breaks her scripting, I've never seen her duplicate herself though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom