• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

Go check Duke's see if she is there as well. Also, try to Dark hand her, you should get humanity in Undead Parish and possibly Firelink, but not in Duke's. If you kill the other clerics in a weird order or too early, I think it breaks her scripting, I've never seen her duplicate herself though lol.

Where exactly is she supposed to appear in the Duke's Archives? I will go and check right now.
Thanks for the tips!

I had this weird glitch in my game where Rhea appeared in 2 different places at the same time:
- in Firelink Shrine, presumably hollow (she attacked me)
- in the church in Undead Parish like usual, except I can't speak to her

I went back and forth between the 2 places and she is still there...
What's going on? Did somebody else have this?
I had something like this where I killed her in the Parish, but then next time I was in Firelink she was there hostile. Unfortunately she only drops her items once though.

Soulhouf

She is in one of the cell's in the prison, one that needs a key and I think has a brave warrior soul.

I just checked and she isn't there.
That would be hilarious if she duplicated herself in 3 different places lol

@Red Liquorice: after killing her? I wonder what's the normal trigger that makes her hostile in Firelink because she never was before in my game.

The Boat

Finally had some time to play more of this, had it since launch but haven't had a lot of time. I reached the archer section in Anor Londo... fuck this shit. Seriously, fuck it up the ass. First time in the game they go off the deep end instead of the usual fair difficulty. I was enjoying the Dark Souls marathon, but this is too much. Furthest I got was right up to one of the archers, but I ended up dead.

maomaoIYP

Rhea shows up in Duke's??? Whaaaaa??? At which point in her events does she show up? I've played through maybe a good 30+ times and I've never found her in a cell there! Holy shit Dark Souls never ceases to amaze me.

Akito

Finally had some time to play more of this, had it since launch but haven't had a lot of time. I reached the archer section in Anor Londo... fuck this shit. Seriously, fuck it up the ass. First time in the game they go off the deep end instead of the usual fair difficulty. I was enjoying the Dark Souls marathon, but this is too much. Furthest I got was right up to one of the archers, but I ended up dead.

Easily the worst part of the game but you'll still get the hang of it once you've tried died often enough. You could always cheese them out with (poison) arrows like demonstrated in this video, they surely deserved it :lol.

The Boat

Easily the worst part of the game but you'll still get the hang of it once you've tried died often enough. You could always cheese them out with (poison) arrows like demonstrated in this video, they surely deserved it :lol.

Yeah but I don't have any and I kinda want to avoid going aaall the way back to buy some.

Akito

Yeah but I don't have any and I kinda want to avoid going aaall the way back to buy some.
The Crestfallen Merchant in Sen's Fortress sells several types of arrows (albeit no poison arrows but they're not a must) and it's really easy to get back and fort between there and Anor Londo, just talk to the bat-winged demon.

The Boat

The Crestfallen Merchant in Sen's Fortress sells several types of arrows (albeit no poison arrows but they're not a must) and it's really easy to get back and fort between there and Anor Londo, just talk to the bat-winged demon.

Hmm I might do that tomorrow. Thanks!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I just had a guy "help" me through
Oolacile Township and Chasm of the Abyss
by running ahead and destroying everything, including
Manus
with his bow.

I finally caught up to him just outside the wall of white light, where he was sniping down. I bowed to him, then shrugged to convey my bafflement with this play of heroics. Suddenly YOU DEFEATED appears, with the emptied boss health bar remaining on screen (will post a pic later). I got the souls and the phantom went home...

Fortunately I'm already familiar with the DLC, but that would have sucked for someone on their first time through. I was grateful and all, but come on guy.

Manus
with his bow.

I finally caught up to him just outside the wall of white light, where he was sniping down. I bowed to him, then shrugged to convey my bafflement with this play of heroics. Suddenly YOU DEFEATED appears, with the emptied boss health bar remaining on screen (will post a pic later). I got the souls and the phantom went home...

Fortunately I'm already familiar with the DLC, but that would have sucked for someone on their first time through. I was grateful and all, but come on guy.
That is so not cool, I would've used the black crystal before he went off too far, what's the point other than showing off, the host doesn't get anything out of it.

@Red Liquorice: after killing her? I wonder what's the normal trigger that makes her hostile in Firelink because she never was before in my game.
After killing her in the Parish yes, she was back at Firelink hostile.

I assume she goes hostile if you kill Petrus. I think if you do things in 'weird' orders, you can get things like this happening. I don't remember, but I would guess this was when I had rescued Rhea from TotG very early before going to the Depths or maybe even Undead Burg.

Also if you rescue Rhea before going to the Parish the black knight will not show up until Rhea is dead. (Might just be that you can go to the Parish but haven't killed the black knight? - I guess they can't both be in the Parish altar at the same time).

Dresden

Manus
with his bow.

lol, you can shoot through the fog at Manus? Getting some flashbacks here.

dosh

Yeah, I was guilty of this on one instance. I didn't want to show off, just make the other guy's life easier. Then, mid-level, I realized I was not helping at all, since the guy obviously didn't know the place (it was Anor Londo) that well and probably wanted to do stuff on his own, with me acting as support when things got a bit too tense.
Same thing goes with bosses: when the guy summon another blue phantom and me, I never know if he's relieved that we smashed S&O or Iron Golem in a matter of seconds, or if he's disappointed that we made things too easy.

Soulhouf

I was happy they fixed the major issues with the last patch but it seems the DLC brought new glitches, which makes me sad :(
Can we hope for a new patch with new balances as well or is this too much to ask?

@maomaoIYP: I believe if you buy everything from her, she goes hollow in the Duke's. It's a weird choice for a place and I never saw her my self there.

I have no problem with cheesing Manus from outside the fog gate - you can do it with dung pies @ the Capra Demon and you could do it in DeS with one of the gargoyle types - you don't have to do it, but if you want to - it's there, for that one fight.

It's a weird choice for a place and I never saw her my self there.
Her outfit is found there of course, but also don't the squid girls have story connection to Rhea? They were priestesses who were used for experiementation by Seath, right?

Voidguts

DLC question:
soo I was in the Chasm of the Abyss a few minutes ago near the elevator and I found a cave that led to.. some kinda white, smokey rat? every time I got close enough to melee he'd run and vanish (3 times and then he disappeared) and I can't get him to spawn again. what the hell? can't find anything on google, either.
hoping I didn't miss something. :\

Akito

DLC question:
soo I was in the Chasm of the Abyss a few minutes ago near the elevator and I found a cave that led to.. some kinda white, smokey rat? every time I got close enough to melee he'd run and vanish (3 times and then he disappeared) and I can't get him to spawn again. what the hell? can't find anything on google, either.
hoping I didn't miss something. :\
It's supposed to be the young Alvina, she's probably not so amused about to be called a rat I would reckon :lol
She actually tried to led you to a secret, try to look around the area where she appeared last for a invisible wall.

Soulhouf

Her outfit is found there of course, but also don't the squid girls have story connection to Rhea? They were priestesses who were used for experiementation by Seath, right?

You're right! That makes sense...

I have no problem with cheesing Manus from outside the fog gate - you can do it with dung pies @ the Capra Demon and you could do it in DeS with one of the gargoyle types - you don't have to do it, but if you want to - it's there, for that one fight.

I don't agree. The fact that it's possible to do it means that many players will exploit it, and possibly ruin something...
That's stupid IMO.

The game got improved compared to the very first version (lol) but some bugs need to be fixed and balance to be applied.

Dyno

This might make you mad dude but that part of the game is easy, you just have to be masterful with the controls. It doesn't matter what kind of character I'm playing I get through that part in one go.

And there is no big trick or technique. Most fast with shield up. Time your rolls when the arrows are coming. Do not dilly-dally on those narrow ledges, just move straight as an arrow in the direction you need to go. Beat that first knight off the ledge and then go around the corner to heal up and catch your breath. You can jump off at that point and continue your adventure but you know what? That second knight DESERVES to die! Get back out there with shield up. Get over to him, rolling as needed. Then smash him.

Master your fear, master your character, and blast through that point. It's a test. You can pass it.

To people who are still having trouble with the Anor Londo archers, always remember one thing, once you've reached the ledge between the 2 archers, do NOT block their arrows, the push-back from blocking the arrows will almost always push you off the ledge. Roll under them instead. Do not panic when the archer at the left shoots you in the back, you won't fall off from that.

The Boat

This might make you mad dude but that part of the game is easy, you just have to be masterful with the controls. It doesn't matter what kind of character I'm playing I get through that part in one go.

And there is no big trick or technique. Most fast with shield up. Time your rolls when the arrows are coming. Do not dilly-dally on those narrow ledges, just move straight as an arrow in the direction you need to go. Beat that first knight off the ledge and then go around the corner to heal up and catch your breath. You can jump off at that point and continue your adventure but you know what? That second knight DESERVES to die! Get back out there with shield up. Get over to him, rolling as needed. Then smash him.

Master your fear, master your character, and blast through that point. It's a test. You can pass it.

It would be easier if the arrows didn't send me flying off the ledge at an impossible angle. Oh and the crestfallen merchant doesn't have any poison. What a fun, sexy time.
To people who are still having trouble with the Anor Londo archers, always remember one thing, once you've reached the ledge between the 2 archers, do NOT block their arrows, the push-back from blocking the arrows will almost always push you off the ledge. Roll under them instead. Do not panic when the archer at the left shoots you in the back, you won't fall off from that.

My only problem is the final ledge.

Wowbagger

I was happy they fixed the major issues with the last patch but it seems the DLC brought new glitches, which makes me sad :(
Can we hope for a new patch with new balances as well or is this too much to ask?

1.07 will only fix the graphical glitches in the DLC areas. I doubt we'll get another balance patch. If it weren't for the DLC we'd probably still be playing 1.05.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
1.07 will only fix the graphical glitches in the DLC areas. I doubt we'll get another balance patch. If it weren't for the DLC we'd probably still be playing 1.05.
Glad to hear they're addressing the graphical glitches. Anyone know if it was something of a more sinister nature?

Not sure if it was due to the recent bugs, but a friend and I wasted a good hour at the weekend trying to do co-op, and I only ever saw his sign once (summoning failed).
We've never had so much trouble with it before, and wondered if something fishy was going on or if it was just mega busy...

What in the actual shit...

I just accidentally beat the game. Literally. I didn't know that was the final battle. I don't think I can go back to my old save that I had not completed the dlc on, right?

Arjen

Ok, this maybe a really dumb question, i'm not that far in, but is there anyway i can sel my stuf to merchants?

oracrest

If only...

dark_souls_arcade_cabinet_magazine_ad_spoof_by_semsei-d5ln5cc.jpg

Guevara

I'd kill for a 2D Dark Souls game, or even something close. I was picturing more like Zelda II than the above (which looks like Golden Axe) but either way that's awesome.

Soulhouf

In reply to this: (posted on Demon's Souls OT)

Some of the upgrades just do not make sense to me. Why we got enchanted and magic? Has anyone ever used an occult weapon? Raw?

I think occult weapons were originally meant to be more important (story and gameplay-wise) but for an obscure reason they didn't.
Even the ember itself the "Dark Ember" and its description:
The church long hid the forbidden black ember,
and no living blacksmith knows of it.

Occult weapons were used to hunt the gods,
and are effective against their following and kin.

You can see the potential of the thing but in practice, is there really a usage of that? Even damage wise, with 50 faith a divine weapon is more effective.
It's a shame because they could make something awesome with it...

The Enchanted upgrade on the other hand is really good for a magic build, even if it doesn't make much sens because
it comes from Oolacile, the land where magicians don't use their intelligence for magic
. It seems like they switched magic and enchanted...

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
In reply to this: (posted on Demon's Souls OT)

I think occult weapons were originally meant to be more important (story and gameplay-wise) but for an obscure reason they didn't.
Even the ember itself the "Dark Ember" and its description:
The church long hid the forbidden black ember,
and no living blacksmith knows of it.

Occult weapons were used to hunt the gods,
and are effective against their following and kin.

You can see the potential of the thing but in practice, is there really a usage of that? Even damage wise, with 50 faith a divine weapon is more effective.
It's a shame because they could make something awesome with it...

The Enchanted upgrade on the other hand is really good for a magic build, even if it doesn't make much sens because
it comes from Oolacile, the land where magicians don't use their intelligence for magic
. It seems like they switched magic and enchanted...
I thought the idea was that Dark weapons are stronger against living players, while Divine is better against undead players, tipping the balance regardless of FAI. This would kind of tie into the description, and why the
church - who hunt the undead - wanted to hide the black ember.

Soulhouf

I thought the idea was that Dark weapons are stronger against living players, while Divine is better against undead players, tipping the balance regardless of FAI. This would kind of tie into the description, and why the
church - who hunt the undead - wanted to hide the black ember.

Really?
That would be awesome if true but did somebody do some tests to check?

My understanding is that occult weapons are effective against the "gods" and their following and kin. That's what the description says.
If that true, it could be effective against Gwyn and his knights for example.

Arjen

So i got the key to head down to blighttown, i'm around level 35. Smart thing to go down there, or better to explore some other area's? I heard its a long way down.
And i hate myself for not getting this game sooner, it's digitalized crack,so good.

Akito

So i got the key to head down to blighttown, i'm around level 35. Smart thing to go down there, or better to explore some other area's? I heard its a long way down.
And i hate myself for not getting this game sooner, it's digitalized crack,so good.
35 is plenty, Blighttown is loathed for the bad frame rates, assholes blowdart guys and the poison swamp but those have little to do with your SL. Just pack in some Blooming Purple Moss Clumps before going down there, the Spider Shield is also pretty useful.

Arjen

Allrighty then. I just hope i don't have to deal with those damn curse giving frogs anymore, those things creeped me the fuck out.

Guevara

It's true. The knights are weak against dark, just like how the skeletons are weak against holy.

The problem for me is that it is worth carrying around a faith weapon because it prevents the skeletons from respawning. It would have been cool if the black knights reset like all other enemies unless they were killed with occult weapons or something. In that case, it would be worth carrying around an occult weapon.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Really?

My understanding is that occult weapons are effective against the "gods" and their following and kin. That's what the description says.
Yeah, purely going by the description that would make sense. But is Gwyn even a god anymore? I guess his 'next of kin' would be followers of the gods/church/sun/etc. I just remember reading that Occult is good against humans (NPCs? Hosts?) while Divine is good against undead (Skeletons, Black/White Phantoms?)

Edit:
It's true. The knights are weak against dark, just like how the skeletons are weak against holy.
Oh, cool! So yeah, about that Havel chap...

What freaks me out is
the Occult Club hidden with the rest of Havel's gear in Anor Londo... Plus in the room where that secret passage is located, there are (homeward) bones all over the place. What kind of bishop was he!?

By the way, this gave me a good end-of-week boost:
tumblr_mdtlc2lMqP1ryxuzmo1_500.gif

ArynCrinn

Banned
Really?

If you're rolling a base Knight class or similar there's no better upgrade path outside of elementals than Occult for O&S, melee at least. So it definitely does increased damage to the "god/knight" bosses. A +4 Occult Broadsword out stripes a +9 Divine Broadsword against O&S pretty decently.

All in all, the stranger upgrade paths only make really long term sense when paired with stat and weapon-type restrictions.

Soulhouf

If you're rolling a base Knight class or similar there's no better upgrade path outside of elementals than Occult for O&S, melee at least. So it definitely does increased damage to the "god/knight" bosses. A +4 Occult Broadsword out stripes a +9 Divine Broadsword against O&S pretty decently.

All in all, the stranger upgrade paths only make really long term sense when paired with stat and weapon-type restrictions.

Thanks for the info! I will max out an occult Ushigatana and try it against them with my dex/faith build.

Yeah, purely going by the description that would make sense. But is Gwyn even a god anymore? I guess his 'next of kin' would be followers of the gods/church/sun/etc. I just remember reading that Occult is good against humans (NPCs? Hosts?) while Divine is good against undead (Skeletons, Black/White Phantoms?)

Edit:

Oh, cool! So yeah, about that Havel chap...

What freaks me out is
the Occult Club hidden with the rest of Havel's gear in Anor Londo... Plus in the room where that secret passage is located, there are (homeward) bones all over the place. What kind of bishop was he!?

By the way, this gave me a good end-of-week boost:
tumblr_mdtlc2lMqP1ryxuzmo1_500.gif

@Havel: mind blown.

Booshka

I think I found the best way to get 76 poise. Hollow Soldier Waistcloth, Gargoyle's Helm and Giant Gauntlets equal 36 poise, add the Wolf ring and BAM! 76 Poise. The gear only weighs 14.7 so you have room to use a light weapon (5.0 and under) with no equip load rings (FaP or Havel) Medium weapons (5.0-8.0) you can use the FaP ring and Heavy (not huge) weapons (8.0-12.0) Havel's ring and be able to fast roll. I'm thinking of the possibilities of being able to flip roll and have 76 poise with a decent weapon and it seems unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom