• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

Results of my experiments on Black Knights with a 50 faith, 40 dex character.
AR:
- Occult Ushigatana+5 = 484
- Divine Ushigatana+10 = 483
- Ushigatana+15 = 420

Backstab on Black Knights:
- Occult Ushigatana+5 = 623
- Divine Ushigatana+10 = 565
- Ushigatana+15 = 581

Occult wins!
So definitly occult weapons can be useful even if the difference is not that big.

I also noticed for the first time that Dark Hand has an occult modifier (130). Well, that makes sens when you think about it...

maomaoIYP

when i use my darkmoon character, i stick to forest. If i use the ring, it's just asking to be triple teamed in anor londo.

I've run into plenty of triple teaming SL 300s in the forest too. Also, have you tried Oolacile township recently? It's a hotbed to get triple teamed immediately as you spawn.

Any ideas on how to take out the wyvern that is on the bridge? I want the claymore. Really stumped. It just keeps breathing fire on the bridge and I lack the dex to use a short bow.

Dresden

Any ideas on how to take out the wyvern that is on the bridge? I want the claymore. Really stumped. It just keeps breathing fire on the bridge and I lack the dex to use a short bow.

You can just wait behind the wall for him to jump down eventually. When he jumps down, run through his legs and grab the claymore, then run to the bonfire.

You can just wait behind the wall for him to jump down eventually. When he jumps down, run through his legs and grab the claymore, then run to the bonfire.
Made it to the bonfire with Flash Sweat and a Spider Shield+5. Liking my new sword already. Gonna have to deal with that Wyvern some other time.

dosh

I've run into plenty of triple teaming SL 300s in the forest too. Also, have you tried Oolacile township recently? It's a hotbed to get triple teamed immediately as you spawn.
Maybe doing it the other way around? Go into the forest or Ariamis in body form, and wait for invaders to pop. I've had plenty of nice fights these past few weeks by doing that.
From time to time, another player will invade while I'm already fighting my first opponent, but that's quite fun. Some wait for the fight to end before they engage themselves. And if they don't wait, well it's a very good reason to start casting great combustion and make everybody burn.

And wow at the ravioli technique.

If only...

dark_souls_arcade_cabinet_magazine_ad_spoof_by_semsei-d5ln5cc.jpg

Holy fuck...

YES PLEASE.

Arjen

Mmm, blighttown wasn't that bad, just had a couple framerate drops. I leonidas'ed (spear+shield) my way down to the swamp pretty easy. Those swamps are annoying though with their posion build up. Hope the boss is nearby so i can get out of here.

dosh

Mmm, blighttown wasn't that bad, just had a couple framerate drops. I leonidas'ed (spear+shield) my way down to the swamp pretty easy. Those swamps are annoying though with their posion build up. Hope the boss is nearby so i can get out of here.
The boss is not far from the bonfire you reached. The area is quite big though, with tons of stuff to collect and discover. When you know the layout a bit, it's not that bad. The only things I still loathe to this day are the forever respawning mosquitoes of the forever spawn. Annoying, annoying bugs.

So, a bit of a story. I just had a PS3 YLOD, so I obviously lost everything. 4 years of saves but also my NG+ that I had ready for Artorias. Reluctantly I started a new game, all the while dreading, DREADING O & S. So I get to Anor Londo today and thankfully am not invaded the second I turn human. Summon someone and we get into the boss room. I get us killed after Smough dies. He sticks around for run #2 and we beat them both easily. After trying nearly 50 times to beat them solo the first time I played, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for this random phantom who helped me get through these assholes.

Best game, man. Best.

DSmalls84

Just grabbed this off of the Amazon sale and had a few questions.

Related to Durante's mod. What does turning on Ambient Occlusion do? I don't really notice much of a difference with it on or off, except that if I have it on high my fps drops to 15 when trying to cross a foggy bridge (New Londo is the name I believe).

Also is the Thief a good class for beginners? I tried the Knight but his slow speed makes it pretty difficult to avoid some of the enemies.

tafer

Welp, another newbie joins the late party of this game.

Used to play Demon's Soul like crazy and it really feels just like it with some exceptions.

I'm already level 40 or something like that, after getting stuck in the dungeon bellow the catacombs, some manly tears were shed after finding a way out (not without dying and losing everything way too many times)

And now that I'm "free" from that awful dungeon, I'm trying to find what is missing to do some progress in new Londo.
The temporary curse is doing wonders, but I'm missing a key or something because there is nowhere to continue, since everything is closed or not working

Soulhouf

Welp, another newbie joins the late party of this game.

Used to play Demon's Soul like crazy and it really feels just like it with some exceptions.

I'm already level 40 or something like that, after getting stuck in the dungeon bellow the catacombs, some manly tears were shed after finding a way out (not without dying and losing everything way too many times)

And now that I'm "free" from that awful dungeon, I'm trying to find what is missing to do some progress in new Londo.
The temporary curse is doing wonders, but I'm missing a key or something because there is nowhere to continue, since everything is closed or not working

The are an NPC there who will give you the key if you got the Lord Vessel.
You can also kill him for the key.

dosh

Also is the Thief a good class for beginners? I tried the Knight but his slow speed makes it pretty difficult to avoid some of the enemies.
Thief is generally considered an experienced players class. Wanderer or pyromancer are easier classes for a first playthrough. The warrior is perhaps an even better choice for beginners: quite good armor, and not as encombering as the knight's, which means you can effectively roll. Also good shield and sword, and his stats are high enough to wield most of the weapons found early in the game.

daedalius

Got the game on the Steam sale and have been playing it quite a bit since.

Just heading to Blightown for the first time now... although I made a detour to find a big wolf.

That pretty weird, never seen that happening before.

Yeah, like I mentioned in the description:

"I had red ring equipped both times, but I can't see how that would attribute to anything.

The first clip, I can write off saying, maybe it's a graphical glitch, and I didn't see the archer's arrows or something, but the 2nd one? There's literally no other enemies around."

I have no idea what's going on. Not really annoyed, I've played this game enough now, that I don't usually get angry with deaths anymore, but I just think it's pretty random, and kinda funny to be honest. More curious than anything else.

Sullichin

Results of my experiments on Black Knights with a 50 faith, 40 dex character.
AR:
- Occult Ushigatana+5 = 484
- Divine Ushigatana+10 = 483
- Ushigatana+15 = 420

Backstab on Black Knights:
- Occult Ushigatana+5 = 623
- Divine Ushigatana+10 = 565
- Ushigatana+15 = 581

Occult wins!
So definitly occult weapons can be useful even if the difference is not that big.

I also noticed for the first time that Dark Hand has an occult modifier (130). Well, that makes sens when you think about it...

Interesting stuff, thanks

"I had red ring equipped both times, but I can't see how that would attribute to anything.

The first clip, I can write off saying, maybe it's a graphical glitch, and I didn't see the archer's arrows or something, but the 2nd one? There's literally no other enemies around."

I have no idea what's going on. Not really annoyed, I've played this game enough now, that I don't usually get angry with deaths anymore, but I just think it's pretty random, and kinda funny to be honest. More curious than anything else.

Yup, like you said the first one could have been the gargoyle's lightning with the effects missing. I've been hit by the lightning at that exact spot before. In Smough's room, I have no idea. Although a couple of times I have died because Super Smough has spawned directly on top of my character.

Booshka

I managed to upload a video of some random ass deaths I had in DkS.

I have no idea what killed me, and it's happened 3 times now, 2 of which I got captured:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQkGuJqfEQE

The first one is a pretty common fall damage glitch that happens on those narrow walkways leading to and from the archers. I've gotten pretty good at avoiding the damage; by slowing your speed or rolling at the right time you can avoid it. If you run down the whole way, you will take a little fall damage, it's probably happened to you before, but because it killed you, you finally noticed it. Whenever I invade Anor Londo, that's an important detail in the level geometry because taking any unnecessary damage as an invader is a pain in the ass.

The second death is a mystery to me. It looks like the point of impact for the damage is at the end of your crossbow, but I am not sure what exactly caused the damage. My best guess is that the rubble from those broken columns glitched and counted damage against you. I've had that happen in other games, where broken pieces of the environment glitch and cause damage, but I've never seen it in Dark Souls.

The second death is a mystery to me. It looks like the point of impact for the damage is at the end of your crossbow, but I am not sure what exactly caused the damage. My best guess is that the rubble from those broken columns glitched and counted damage against you. I've had that happen in other games, where broken pieces of the environment glitch and cause damage, but I've never seen it in Dark Souls.

Ahhhh I see, there's a little graphical flash at the end of the crossbow, but still, WTF?

The first one is a pretty common fall damage glitch that happens on those narrow walkways leading to and from the archers. I've gotten pretty good at avoiding the damage; by slowing your speed or rolling at the right time you can avoid it. If you run down the whole way, you will take a little fall damage, it's probably happened to you before, but because it killed you, you finally noticed it.

Yes somebody mentioned this in the comments of that video. I've never noticed it before, and I run around with the Red Ring on quite often, so I guess I just got lucky that it hasn't happened to me until this point? I dunno, still, weird.

Anyways, thanks for the input.

Fall control is good for use on jumping down to the first Titanite Demon in Sen's too, it's saved me a few times when I've forgot to put the rusted ring on or something like that.

It doesn't work on the upper level in the painting hall of Anor Londo as I found out when trying to be clever trolling an invader a long time ago! YOU DIED :3

maomaoIYP

Like the rest mentioned, the 1st one is pretty common. There's another spot where you can take damage from odd geometry as well, as you sprint down the giant spiral staircase to the darkmoon tomb near the end you can get caught in some geometry resulting in you falling a short distance and taking some damage.

tafer

The are an NPC there who will give you the key if you got the Lord Vessel.
You can also kill him for the key.

Hehe thanks for the info, after some small research (trying to avoid any form of spoilers) I found I can continue other routes before.

Man, On these games I'm always a coward or a brave idiot just when the occasion calls for the opposite. Same stuff almost made me quit Demon's Souls back in the day.

Back on the game after moving house, and back to Anor Lando, now with my 3rd character. No Internet until Friday though so just grinding a bit right now and trying out weapons. Not sure what's best for my DEX, going to try some things out, but I've recently:

- Acquired Sliver Knight Straight Sword and upgraded to +5. It's savage against Silver Knights, not sure how it will perform elsewhere but it's great and has a very impressive (and fast) move set. I really love the weapon though, really cool!

- Chaos Blade +3ish. Upgraded my Uchi +10 into one and it's fairly decent for sure, but the Silver Knight Sword does more damage. I like the weapon, but will be converting a Washing Pole into Lightning once I've gotten the Lordvessel (forgot to +6 it before getting to Anor Lando , damn).

I've just started using Silver Knight helm +3 and arms +3, with the Pyromancer cloth +9 which I like, and Black Hemmed cloth legs (not upgradable). Not sure what to go with, will probably go to Elite Armour but I've used that on a build before and fancy something else.

Arjen

Passed the dreaded archers part in Anor Londo in the first try.
Felt awesome and unstopable.
Got invaded after i lit the bonfire and killed in a couple blows, felt humble again.

Booshka

Back on the game after moving house, and back to Anor Lando, now with my 3rd character. No Internet until Friday though so just grinding a bit right now and trying out weapons. Not sure what's best for my DEX, going to try some things out, but I've recently:

- Acquired Sliver Knight Straight Sword and upgraded to +5. It's savage against Silver Knights, not sure how it will perform elsewhere but it's great and has a very impressive (and fast) move set. I really love the weapon though, really cool!

- Chaos Blade +3ish. Upgraded my Uchi +10 into one and it's fairly decent for sure, but the Silver Knight Sword does more damage. I like the weapon, but will be converting a Washing Pole into Lightning once I've gotten the Lordvessel (forgot to +6 it before getting to Anor Lando , damn).

I've just started using Silver Knight helm +3 and arms +3, with the Pyromancer cloth +9 which I like, and Black Hemmed cloth legs (not upgradable). Not sure what to go with, will probably go to Elite Armour but I've used that on a build before and fancy something else.
If you are going to level Dexterity, don't take that Washing Pole to Lightning, it will do more damage at +15. The Chaos blade will do more damage if you take it to +5 and have 10 Humanity in your counter; along with 40 dex and it has the highest attack rating of any katana (450), and the fastest swing speed as well.

If you are going to level Dexterity, don't take that Washing Pole to Lightning, it will do more damage at +15. The Chaos blade will do more damage if you take it to +5 and have 10 Humanity in your counter; along with 40 dex and it has the highest attack rating of any katana (450), and the fastest swing speed as well.

Ah OK cool, cheers for the advice :) Forgot about the Humanity to boost it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
NG++ and getting my ass handed to me by Kalameet on a silver platter. I'm lvl 115ish, 45ish health, 40 faith, maxed out stamina, 26 or something strength, 13 dex. How am I supposed to beat this motherfucker alone when two of his hits kill me?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
semsei, if you're for real then the mods need to sort out that junior status POST HASTE.

By the way, I've been having some fun Darkmooning with my Artorias build. Got a fast roll going with the Abyss Sword and full armour; no shield for authenticity ;)
It's pretty damn fun. Not the best poise, so if I get hit by an ultra GS then it's all over, but other than that I can give most folk a good run around. Disengaging lock-on then rolling towards them with a directed swing usually yields good results, and every so often I even land the two-handed somersault attack! Recommended if you want to try something a bit different.

Just started what is to become a Ciaran build. It's gonna be all about quick movement and dual-wielding the tracers of course, but I was wondering if any of you had any tips before I make any heavy stat investments?

Cheers Soul Bros!

maomaoIYP

Just started what is to become a Ciaran build. It's gonna be all about quick movement and dual-wielding the tracers of course, but I was wondering if any of you had any tips before I make any heavy stat investments?

Cheers Soul Bros!

Go for Dex, two hand the gold tracer, destroy everything.

Insaniac

has there been any changes to multiplayer summoning? My friend and I got the DLC and I'm SL 140 and he's SL 135, we're both at the dukes archives but we don't see our summon signs, it used to work really well before the new patch.

Booshka

Or he can be just like one of those tools running around with the Dark Silver Tracer trying to roll bs you all day.

that shit's been happening since Day 1, I can handle those d bags. It's the Dark Magic spamming assholes that make PVP a chore now, especially on PS3 where the DLC is glitched to shit so you can't even see it hitting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom