• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

that shit's been happening since Day 1, I can handle those d bags. It's the Dark Magic spamming assholes that make PVP a chore now, especially on PS3 where the DLC is glitched to shit so you can't even see it hitting you.

Spamming pursurers? I've fought some dudes that escape it perfectly without using the silver pendant, just keep running if you're far, roll in circles if they're near. Can't help you with dark bead though.

Booshka

Spamming pursurers? I've fought some dudes that escape it perfectly without using the silver pendant, just keep running if you're far, roll in circles if they're near. Can't help you with dark bead though.

Dark bead is what usually kills me, I can get away from pursuers, I just roll through it. It's just extremely cheesy and not fun to fight Dark magic spammers. If I can't even see the magic cuz the DLC is glitched to hell, then fuck it all.

Arjen

Do those silver/copper/gold coins surve any purpose? I saw i can get a decent amount of souls for them, but i'll hold on if they get any other use.

Do those silver/copper/gold coins surve any purpose? I saw i can get a decent amount of souls for them, but i'll hold on if they get any other use.

No, not really. They are just part of the lore.

"Coin made of gold, with Allfather Lloyd and his white halo shown on its face.
Even coins of great value in the world of men have little value in Lordran, where the accepted currency is souls.
Those who dream of returning to the outside world are fond of carrying these around."

Selling them is pretty useless too as you only get 5000 souls for them which can be mined in seconds.

Arjen

No, not really. They are just part of the lore.

Selling them is pretty useless too as you only get 5000 souls for them which can be mined in seconds.

Eh..i'm not that far in the game that 5000 souls can be earned in seconds. But thanks, guess i'm going to cash them in.

Back to DS from my DeS sojourn, and I'm going to start a character that ONLY uses magic, pyro and miracles, I won't even carry a weapon other than a target shield drop from the lower undead burg assassins. I guess I could start as thief for that, but I want those extra 30 soul arrows from the sorcerer build - or may Pyromancer would be better since soul arrow is soon outclassed by better spells, but fireball will always be useful? I have no idea if this will play out well or I will fall at the first hurdle (Capra Demon probably) :3

Eh..i'm not that far in the game that 5000 souls can be earned in seconds. But thanks, guess i'm going to cash them in.
Once you get far enough in to the point where you can sell items, 5000 will be zip.

Insaniac

have you guys successfully summoned you friends post 1.06 patch? My friend and I tried co-oping in the DLC last night but to no avail we couldn't find each others summon signs, he is SL 135 and I'm SL 140. It worked smoothly before in 1.05, so I don't know if they changed something or not. We tried restarting our xboxes and stuff like that too.

dosh

have you guys successfully summoned you friends post 1.06 patch? My friend and I tried co-oping in the DLC last night but to no avail we couldn't find each others summon signs, he is SL 135 and I'm SL 140. It worked smoothly before in 1.05, so I don't know if they changed something or not. We tried restarting our xboxes and stuff like that too.

I played the full DLC content with a friend, so yes, it works. I'm on ps3 though, but I don't think it matters much.

Moonlight Butterfly kicking my ass on my no weapon, magic-only run (started as a Pyro).

I did a suicide run (that I survived) jumping down to the lower Burg for Griggs, then once I'd got a second lot of soul arrows, decided to go for the Wolf Ring. Then decided to go for the Moonlight Butterfly, but forgot I couldn't summon Beatrice since I was hollow - went for it any way.

I'd used up all my fireballs on the way there, and had about 50 soul arrows and 10 great soul arrows. I got it down to about 20% health but ran out of Estus. I've never had a problem rolling through the slow magic 'comets', but blocking those magic spears with the Knight Shield wasn't cutting it. When it landed usually I just hack away, but it had a chance to do a AoE spell that I've never seen before.

Think if I save my fireballs for the fight it will go down in no time as per.

I've been having fun with my dragon build

i didnt know what i was doing to i wasted a lot of stats, but im too far in to start fresh.

I love the challenge. PvE is tough as hell so i have to go with armor, but pvp i stick with my dragon's roar and flame. I am limited in weapons since i didnt plan stats well and i still havent found a good fit.

my friend and other dragon covenant peers swear by the giant club since dragon body users have 0 poise/def, so its better to make to hit hard since you're dead if you get hit anyways. BUT i have found the gargoyle's halberd to work well for me. it has range, doesn't leave me as open as the club, and i dont have to do the same old roll-r2 attack.

combined with leo ring (which i am still confused if it works with my gargoyle halberd or not), i get in close, use the roar to stagger, then quickly r1 them for extra damage. the r2 attack of the gargoyles does a double 360 spin that hits all around. Works well against backstab fishers, but leaves me open for the duration. it doesnt work well against high poise 2h sword users because they hit hard and i can die in 2-3 hits.

i also use the demon spear. stab stab stab from hella far, and if they get in close dragon's roar and roll away. but i find this too cheap.

i always carry a +5 lightning Avelyn with lightning and heavy bolts. Does hella good damage vs casters and anyone trying to run away from me

Koeta

Noob question.. I'm trying to get attunement slots so I can use "Cast Light" I never used magic before, so never put any point into int, I was told if I got 14 int I would get slots and have the int needed to cast the spell.

Well I Grinded out the levels and at 14 int I have yet to unlock a single attunement slot, not sure what's going on here.

Johnas

Moonlight Butterfly kicking my ass on my no weapon, magic-only run (started as a Pyro).

I did a suicide run (that I survived) jumping down to the lower Burg for Griggs, then once I'd got a second lot of soul arrows, decided to go for the Wolf Ring. Then decided to go for the Moonlight Butterfly, but forgot I couldn't summon Beatrice since I was hollow - went for it any way.

I'd used up all my fireballs on the way there, and had about 50 soul arrows and 10 great soul arrows. I got it down to about 20% health but ran out of Estus. I've never had a problem rolling through the slow magic 'comets', but blocking those magic spears with the Knight Shield wasn't cutting it. When it landed usually I just hack away, but it had a chance to do a AoE spell that I've never seen before.

Think if I save my fireballs for the fight it will go down in no time as per.

You might consider returning to the Undead Asylum and grabbing the Crest Shield. I realize that might fall outside the parameters you set for yourself for this particular run.

ijed

Noob question.. I'm trying to get attunement slots so I can use "Cast Light" I never used magic before, so never put any point into int, I was told if I got 14 int I would get slots and have the int needed to cast the spell.

Well I Grinded out the levels and at 14 int I have yet to unlock a single attunement slot, not sure what's going on here.

You can only unlock attunement slots by levelling up .... attunement.
Need 10 Attunement for 1 slot

ijed

Oh also less smarmy answer is there are also a couple of rings that grant you extra attunement slots
white seance ring and dark seance ring
if you just need the slot temporarily for cast light and can spare a ring slot you can use this instead of levelling up your attunement :)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Go for Dex, two hand the gold tracer, destroy everything.
Pretty much, if you have 53 or god forbid 76 poise, you can just spam R1 and never lose.
Or he can be just like one of those tools running around with the Dark Silver Tracer trying to roll bs you all day.
Guys, guys, guys. I am shit at PvP anyway, so if I take the time to roleplay a character, I will do it with style and flair. Mugenmonkey tells me I'll have 60 poise with the full Lord's Blade set and Wolf Ring, and I'll probably equip the Hornet ring for authenticity. However, I won't be bs fishing, thank you very much!
has there been any changes to multiplayer summoning? My friend and I got the DLC and I'm SL 140 and he's SL 135, we're both at the dukes archives but we don't see our summon signs, it used to work really well before the new patch.
I don't know if it was since a patch or not, but I've been having a lot of trouble playing with friends I could play with before (straight after the DLC released). We can see each other's signs (very rarely) so level/conditions aren't a problem. I think it's just on the pile of general glitchyness recently. Hope they get it sorted soon.

You might consider returning to the Undead Asylum and grabbing the Crest Shield. I realize that might fall outside the parameters you set for yourself for this particular run.
Yeah, I did think of that but turned human and summon Beatrice to help. Her + fireballs made it easier. It did do the AoE attack again though, but this time in the air as it passed over from side to side - I've never seen this attack before in all the time I've played this game.

After that I did go back to the Asylum, it took a couple of tries to get the crest shield because I never unlock the door below the boulder guy, so I had to deal with one black knight, by the time I got to Oscar I had very few decent spells left, so unlocked the door, bonfire to get my spell count back and then back for the shield.

Spent most of my souls on getting up to 5 attunement slots - Soul Arrow x 2, Great SA, Heal, Fireball. I consumed the butterfly soul because I was desperate to get an extra slot, knowing I didn't need it for a weapon, but forgot it's used for the magic shield I think, so that might've come in handy, 1200 souls wasn't really worth consuming it.

Not using anything but spells is really challenging, you don't want to waste a single spellcast, and stuff like soul arrow can easily miss if the target moves, those damn rats are the worst! I've resorted to using the pyro glove and catalyst R2 to beat hollows to death - slowly - just to save on casts.
It's been really fun so far though, last night I waited for ages to get invaded in the Parish just for someone to lift the gate behind the dragon because I didn't want to run past it - out of 3 invasions not one of them lifted the gate, I couldn't believe it!

When does Rhea appear in TotG, after Capra Demon or Depths?

I haven't rang the gargoyle bell yet, but just killed Pinwheel (second attempt, thanks Leeroy for not walking through the fog door first time!) - ran to Rhea's place in TotG but had to homebone out since she was nowhere to be seen. I've gone there early before and rescued her, but this might be the earliest I've ever gone there.

Leeroy basically did Pinwheel for me, the first time I ended up with 5 or 6 Pinwheels and ran out of Estus, and was fucked - interesting how this no-melee playthrough is making the easiest of bosses a challenge.

Akito

This is after Capra. But don't you have to talk to her in Firelink Shrine first before she goes on her quest in TotG with her buddies?
Nope, I almost never talk to her, or Petrus, or her companions and she will always be down in the TotG, if I didn't skip the Capra Demon that is.

Yeah I often never even see her at Firelink let alone talk to her there, Petrus is a must for the shrug gesture, essential for PvP! ;)

No-melee fun continues: Capra down like a bitch. Took both dogs out with one fireball, after that it was a homerun. Currently grinding souls to upgrade pyro glove because I don't have enough power or casts atm for Gaping Dragon, even when summoning Lautrec and Solaire. Oh and Kirk really doesn't like fireballs /evil laugh.

cluto

When does Rhea appear in TotG, after Capra Demon or Depths?

I haven't rang the gargoyle bell yet, but just killed Pinwheel (second attempt, thanks Leeroy for not walking through the fog door first time!) - ran to Rhea's place in TotG but had to homebone out since she was nowhere to be seen. I've gone there early before and rescued her, but this might be the earliest I've ever gone there.

Leeroy basically did Pinwheel for me, the first time I ended up with 5 or 6 Pinwheels and ran out of Estus, and was fucked - interesting how this no-melee playthrough is making the easiest of bosses a challenge.

I just made this mistake yesterday. Pretty sure if you defeat Pinwheel before defeating the Capra Demon, she won't ever appear.

Soulhouf

No-melee fun continues: Capra down like a bitch. Took both dogs out with one fireball, after that it was a homerun. Currently grinding souls to upgrade pyro glove because I don't have enough power or casts atm for Gaping Dragon, even when summoning Lautrec and Solaire. Oh and Kirk really doesn't like fireballs /evil laugh.

90 soul arrows are more than enough to take down Gapin Dragon, unless you don't plan to upgrade your attunment...

90 soul arrows are more than enough to take down Gapin Dragon, unless you don't plan to upgrade your attunment...
I started as Pyro, so I have 60 soul arrows, although I didn't have them equipped, I switched 2xSoul Arrow out for Fire Orb and a second lot of Great SA. 5 attunement atm, it's the only stat I've really levelled up so far. Will try it again with regular soul arrows.

I could really do with Dusk's crown, but the Hydra might give me trouble - bows are my MO for Hydra, that's out. I've only melee'd it once before, that's out. Will be an interesting fight!

I just made this mistake yesterday. Pretty sure if you defeat Pinwheel before defeating the Capra Demon, she won't ever appear.
Hope not. I've done Pinwheel first thing lots of times before and had her show up. I think she might not ever show up at Firelink maybe, but definately in TotG - fingers crossed!

Upgraded my Chaos Blade to +5 and loaded 10 Humanity, it's doing badass damage now. I love how you don't lose health if you hit the enemy after parrying, a neat risk/reward mechanic :)

Not sure it's a good idea to use in the S+O fight though, but we will see.

I've been having fun with my dragon build

i didnt know what i was doing to i wasted a lot of stats, but im too far in to start fresh.

I love the challenge. PvE is tough as hell so i have to go with armor, but pvp i stick with my dragon's roar and flame. I am limited in weapons since i didnt plan stats well and i still havent found a good fit.

my friend and other dragon covenant peers swear by the giant club since dragon body users have 0 poise/def, so its better to make to hit hard since you're dead if you get hit anyways. BUT i have found the gargoyle's halberd to work well for me. it has range, doesn't leave me as open as the club, and i dont have to do the same old roll-r2 attack.

combined with leo ring (which i am still confused if it works with my gargoyle halberd or not), i get in close, use the roar to stagger, then quickly r1 them for extra damage. the r2 attack of the gargoyles does a double 360 spin that hits all around. Works well against backstab fishers, but leaves me open for the duration. it doesnt work well against high poise 2h sword users because they hit hard and i can die in 2-3 hits.

i also use the demon spear. stab stab stab from hella far, and if they get in close dragon's roar and roll away. but i find this too cheap.

i always carry a +5 lightning Avelyn with lightning and heavy bolts. Does hella good damage vs casters and anyone trying to run away from me

Ohh what's a dragon build? What are you using? Sounds interesting :)

Soulhouf

I started as Pyro, so I have 60 soul arrows, although I didn't have them equipped, I switched 2xSoul Arrow out for Fire Orb and a second lot of Great SA. 5 attunement atm, it's the only stat I've really levelled up so far. Will try it again with regular soul arrows.

I could really do with Dusk's crown, but the Hydra might give me trouble - bows are my MO for Hydra, that's out. I've only melee'd it once before, that's out. Will be an interesting fight!

Hope not. I've done Pinwheel first thing lots of times before and had her show up. I think she might not ever show up at Firelink maybe, but definately in TotG - fingers crossed!

You can't rely on pyro when you only use cast to beat enemies because the number of casts is not enough.
Besides dragons are resistant to fire, so you have to use sorcery against Gaping Dragon.

Arjen

Any tips for Ornstein and Smough? When i fight alone, the lock-on system is fucking me over, constantly switching between the 2.
Tried summoning, but also failed horribly, and now i'm running really low on humanity..
Pure melee, best weapons are a Quelaag's Furysword and lighting spear.

Any tips for Ornstein and Smough? When i fight alone, the lock-on system is fucking me over, constantly switching between the 2.
Tried summoning, but also failed horribly, and now i'm running really low on humanity..
Pure melee, best weapons are a Quelaag's Furysword and lighting spear.

It's a very tough fight for sure. Try to keep them separated from each other, concentrating on one at a time (as after you have killed one of them, the other will get their energy back). Use the breakable pillars to your advantage.

Also, if you're hoping to go for Platinum trophy or 1000/1000 in the game consider taking Smough out first now, and then Ornstein first in NG+. Ornstein is a bastard in his 2nd form on NG+. Something to consider if you are going for all weapons in the game.

Try summoning Solaire too, as he will distract one of them so you can concentrate on the other. He's a bit shit though really and won't last long, but it will certainly help. Also, try summoning humans back on the bridge outside (where you come down the elevator and see the first Gargoyle). It's quite busy for summoning there, and they will be able to help you. I wouldn't recommend trying to summon by the bonfire as there isn't much action there (not in my experience at least).

Good luck, it can be a fucker of a fight but it's a damn good one! :)

Arjen

It's a very tough fight for sure. Try to keep them separated from each other, concentrating on one at a time (as after you have killed one of them, the other will get their energy back). Use the breakable pillars to your advantage.

Also, if you're hoping to go for Platinum trophy or 1000/1000 in the game consider taking Smough out first now, and then Ornstein first in NG+. Ornstein is a bastard in his 2nd form on NG+. Something to consider if you are going for all weapons in the game.

Try summoning Solaire too, as he will distract one of them so you can concentrate on the other. He's a bit shit though really and won't last long, but it will certainly help. Also, try summoning humans back on the bridge outside (where you come down the elevator and see the first Gargoyle). It's quite busy for summoning there, and they will be able to help you. I wouldn't recommend trying to summon by the bonfire as there isn't much action there (not in my experience at least).

Good luck, it can be a fucker of a fight but it's a damn good one! :)

Thanks, i summoned someone twice at the bridge yesterday (same dude) but that didn't really help, i'll try with Solaire.
Right now i don't really care about the 1000/1000, i just want the fuckers dead.

You can't rely on pyro when you only use cast to beat enemies because the number of casts is not enough.
Besides dragons are resistant to fire, so you have to use sorcery against Gaping Dragon.
Hmph. Did not know this thanks. I know they're weak to lightning, which makes me think I should join the Sunbros for the lightning spear miracle, didn't think of that till now.

Also, try summoning humans back on the bridge outside (where you come down the elevator and see the first Gargoyle). It's quite busy for summoning there, and they will be able to help you. I wouldn't recommend trying to summon by the bonfire as there isn't much action there (not in my experience at least).
On PS3 at least I find the exact opposite to be true, it probably depends on your SL, but I find between 30-50 the bonfire room is littered with summon signs.

Arjen

I'm on 360 SL 59.
While were at summoning, what's the common thing to do? I like to just dash to the boss asap without wasting time on the mobs. But the dude i summoned yesterday was pretty keen on killing al 4 of those giants first.

I'm on 360 SL 59.
While were at summoning, what's the common thing to do? I like to just dash to the boss asap without wasting time on the mobs. But the dude i summoned yesterday was pretty keen on killing al 4 of those giants first.

I usually just follow the summoner, I'd say that is the best practise. Maybe show some cool treasures on the way.

Gold Tracer is the best and it looks cool too.

dosh

I'm on 360 SL 59.

Most people simply wait for the summoner to show the way. Understanding a player's agenda as a summoned blue phantom is not always that obvious though. I sometimes get a message via the PSN explaining what the plan is, which is cool. But some people just wait idly and I'm never sure if I'm supposed to wait or lead the way.

No-melee adventures continue:

- Blighttown was a nightmare, I was basically using more pushing off ledges than actual magic died a few times, got gangbanged more than once trying to run through, but made it through. Once in the swamp it was a piece of cake, got the DWGR, Queelag no problem, I had bought the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring by this point.

- Sen's Fortress, mainly using the traps, again more than magic. I've probably spent more time in Sen's than any other area of the game (co-op, PvP), so know it like the back of my hand.

- Darkroot Hydra - this was fun actually. I set up camp at the edge of the deep water with my back to the waterfall, and blocked it's lunging head attacks. Magic does not reach the body where you lock on, so you have to wait for the heads to come down and kind of stand so they're in front of you when you shoot - timing/spacing is vital. Quite weak to magic though. Dusk crown GET!

- Anor Londo - Gargoyles very weak to magic. I died to the archers, put on a ring of sacrifice and changed strategies. At first the right archer wouldn't unsheath his sword and I thought I would get pushed off from the arrows at such close range, eventually he uses the sword, and I get a very lucky parry in after about 5 attempts and 2 heals (I usually use the target shield, but had the crest shield for 100% block) - A BAREFIST reposte, and I manage to inch past him and as I turn the corner to drop to the fog door, he falls off! One of my most memorable runs in the game ever!

I've dropped Pyro completely, with 6 attunement slots, the various strength soul arrows give so many casts I never run out between bonfires. S&O will be a piece of cake since it's all long range, will probably solo it without Solaire (no human co-op allowed this run).

Still. loving. this. game!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just started using the gold tracer in the off hand.

Holy shit.
Haha! This post alone has inspired me to stay up late tonight crafting my Ciaran role-play build.

Care to elaborate? I plan on purely dual-wielding the Tracers and am sure there are benefits to each being in either hand.

Dresden

Haha! This post alone has inspired me to stay up late tonight crafting my Ciaran role-play build.

Care to elaborate? I plan on purely dual-wielding the Tracers and am sure there are benefits to each being in either hand.

Gold tracer is built for offhanding, dst for mainhanding.

tafer

Ok, this game is starting to piss me off. It certainly feels like Demon's Souls, but I can't stop thinking that some parts are just "cheap". Or maybe I'm sucking more than usual, and the trauma from the last game has been forgotten, hard to tell at this point.

Has the Artorias DLC been patched? I haven't played it since I beat Artorias and the first dude. The framerate was really bad and I had flickering glitches.

Soulhouf

Could you elaborate a bit more as to why? I swear you're usually more articulate than this ;)

The normal attack in offhand is a simple slash and the strong attack is a double slash (you cant parry with this weapon) and it's very fast and causes strong bleed effect.
Gold Tracer is the only weapon that performs 2 special attacks while it is in the left hand.

DST has a toxin effect that you can do only with the strong attack of the right hand and has the highest critical modifier in the entire game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
The normal attack in offhand is a simple slash and the strong attack is a double slash (you cant parry with this weapon) and it's very fast and causes strong bleed effect.
Gold Tracer is the only weapon that performs 2 special attacks while it is in the left hand.

DST has a toxin effect that you can do only with the strong attack of the right hand and has the highest critical modifier in the entire game.
Thanks! Sounds pretty nifty. I'll still switch it up every now and again when I feel like trying to parry something (assuming the DST can parry). Anyway, gotta get to the bloody things first...

mattp

wow, so, thank god i checked a youtube video because i never would have known you can
mash square to use the pendant continuously to block black magic. i was having SO much fucking trouble trying to time it to block manus' magic attacks because i didn't know i could keep hitting square to extend it's use.

Killing chickenhawkers in the parish with my new Tarkus build. The Greatsword is savage. Love the R2, but I know most people prefer the Zwei.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom