• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Killing chickenhawkers in the parish with my new Tarkus build. The Greatsword is savage. Love the R2, but I know most people prefer the Zwei.

im going to make a iron golem build and troll sens all day erryday

also met my 2nd vagrant today. did a soul spear attack thing on me, thats how i noticed. almost killed me one hit.

Further adventures in no-melee land:

- Ceasless Discharge - Huge pain in the ass. I died, had to homebone out once I got my bloodstain. Tried a few more times but found it difficult to lead him back to the fog gate. I need to look this up as I always do it the first time I enter. Doing it when he is already active is more difficult. The first time he one shot me in the back, since then I bought Flash Sweat, but I still need to take him out. :/

- Seath was easy but took a while (I always assumed his magic resistence is pretty high)

- Gwyndolin - A fun fight. Never had a problem with him after the first time, his patterns are easy to dodge and it's just an endurance test really. Using mid-powered spells since the longer casts meant he could teleport away before they came out.

- Nito was a huge pain. I had no divine weapon to kill the skeletons so had to constantly dodge and use homing mass to keep them at bay whilst I tried to aim spells for Nito. I used two rings of sacrifice because I didn't want to lose my 70,000+ souls bloodstain.

- Santuary Guardian - A fun fight actually, not difficult he seemed to do his swooping attack more than usual - maybe because I was constantly at mid-range? - if only he did it that often when I had something to cut his tail off with!

- Artorias was quite easy for me without melee. Just a case of dodging, I always keep light, so I was mainly using crystal homing mass and not too much to worry about.

The area in Oolacile just before the big horned guardian dude gave me loads of trouble. For a start I was online, so couldn't see the casters dark magic. I used the slumbering dragon ring to give me a little more time to pull each enemy away from the crowd. I got a bloated head catalyst for my troubles though - first time I've had the drop. :)

Edit - whoah, Dusk Crown+Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring+Tin Crystallization Catalyst = Insane damage! (And with Dusk ring, you don't half number of casts either) <3

Booshka

Edit - whoah, Dusk Crown+Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring+Tin Crystallization Catalyst = Insane damage! (And with Dusk ring, you don't half number of casts either) <3

Yeah this is how I beat Manus on a NG+7 Run, if I got hit once I was pretty much dead anyway, so I just stacked damage and casts and it ended up working out. Still took like 20 Crystal Soul Spears though.

maomaoIYP

Haha, I know! It is the very definition of glass cannon!

How could you top this - Power Within, Red Tearstone, Sanctus to offset or slow down Power Within?

You can top that by taking the Lingering something something ring as well, it extends Power within's duration AND slows the health decrease rate.

Has anyone tried out the Hunter class? I started one this evening and I'm pondering how to level the build. Currently thinking Str/End/Dex would be a good idea. Maybe a splash of Vitality and the Ring of Favor and Protection to get a little extra.

Arjen

I want to give a big up to the community playing this.
Got invaded in Anor Londo while trying to get to S&O, dude saw me fighting with those knights, i freaked when i saw him, tried to roll away from the knight but he blocked my path and i died. Got a message from him saying he was sorry he blocked my way.
Got invaded making my way trough Duke Archive, i guess the dude noticed i was trying to progress the story, because he ran straight past me and showed me the nearest bonfire and then just left.
Really awesome to see this behaviour online, when you're used to playing Gears where everyone just insults your mother.

Feindflug

Got invaded in Anor Londo while trying to get to S&O, dude saw me fighting with those knights, i freaked when i saw him, tried to roll away from the knight but he blocked my path and i died. Got a message from him saying he was sorry he blocked my way.
Got invaded making my way trough Duke Archive, i guess the dude noticed i was trying to progress the story, because he ran straight past me and showed me the nearest bonfire and then just left.
Really awesome to see this behaviour online, when you're used to playing Gears where everyone just insults your mother.

Yeah the community went smaller after Blops 2 and Halo 4 came out but it's definitely for the best. :)

cluto

I wish that was how my invasions went. I would just get constantly invaded and lag-stabbed by the same people over and over.

Just saw on Reddit... Same guy (I think) who had the 1:01 speed run has now beaten the game in under an hour. No glitches. Any speed run in this game is notable in my book

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0t97aEhFWI

Still can't believe how strong the BK Halberd + red tearstone combo is. Bosses go down in seconds.
Either I've seen this before or his starting method is identical to the last attempt - It's the little things I love like changing equipment whilst walking through fog door or getting that little bit of extra damage on the plunging attack because of the leaping R2.

Edit - still watching. That jump down to the bottom of Blighttown is seriously amazing. He does it twice, it's got to be pixel perfect surely.
Putting on and taking off armour just for the ladder up to Ingward, wow.
The items he drops in 4 Kings, is that as some kind of marker?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
... Are your invaders white by any chance?

Just checking ;) Glad to hear you're having good experiences. It's tough when one of the best aspects of the game sours people from playing online.

Continuing adventures in no-melee sorcerer land:

- 4 Kings. No problem here. Always looking out for magic users when summoning, so I figured it should be a breeze. The hardest part was avoiding all the enemies on the way there (to save spell casts) and summoning Beatrice - I used slumbering dragon ring as help.

- Painted World - There are quite a lot of regular mobs in this area, so I cleared the level of items before refilling my spellcasts at the bonfire purely for Priscilla, but before her - Jeremiah is pretty resistent to magic, so even a crystal soul spear didn't take that much off. Not a difficult fight, but maybe the strongest NPC phantom so far, in comparison I remember Leeroy going down in 1 shot. I died once to the bonewheel skeletons too due to casting speed vs them steamrolling me!

Priscilla - I died twice because after she went invisible, not locking on means firing blind at the footprints or R2 - non of which made her visible. A quite trip to YT and I found the answer was to lock on immiediately as you walk through the fog, and the lock on will stay on a split second as she turns invisible and teleports - any decent strength spell will knock her out of invisiblity - I used a crystal soul spear it took off half her lifebar! One more left her with the tiniest sliver of health and then she was gone!

I only have Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith left. Ceaseless Dischage was causing me major problems, so will have to see how it goes. If I can't lead him back to the fog door, this might be it for this playthrough because I've never been able to dodge his attacks. I know Gwyn will be a pushover, 4 or 5 homing soul masses should see him down, it's just getting past Ceaseless :/

Edit: Ceaseless Discharge GET! Gold Hemmed Set + Flame Ring + Lingering dragon ring + Flash Sweat + Dragon Shield + 5 Dark Beads and he was down!

Guevara

Trying to imagine all the hours he must have spent on wipes or mistakes or the Halberd not dropping.

I always wonder about this.

I guess the Black Halberd is the way to go. It's in some other runs too. Is it just a early good weapon or is it OP?

Akito

I always wonder about this.

I guess the Black Halberd is the way to go. It's in some other runs too. Is it just a early good weapon or is it OP?
Pretty much all of the BK weapons are overpowered for NG, you're set for the whole game if you get any of the BK to drop his weapon.

No melee playthrough complete!

Centipede Demon - easiest I've ever beat him, think it took 4 or 5 soul spears.

Bed Of Chaos - n/a, but did it first try, just stuck Havel's set on punched the bug!

Asylum Demon - 2 dark beads, lol! Seriously the first one took off 75% of it's health!

Ash Lake Hydra - This was fun like the first one, but went down far quicker. Crystal/Soul Spears not locked on but just manually aiming for the heads as they're in the ground. 1 spear per head, I think it took 4 shots to kill.

Gwyn - 5 x crystal homing mass = RIP :3

Verdict:
50 INT + Dusk Crown, Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Tin Crysalization Catalyst meant the latter half of the game was way easier than the first half. Undead Parish was actually a real challenge, managing number of casts and grinding a little bit for souls. Magic is incredibly powerful at higher levels and I didn't ever run out of casts because almost everything was a one shot by the end. Lots of fun though!

I got a titanite slab from one of the crystal lizards in the great hollow too - only time I've got one as a drop from the lizards and I didn't need it.

shaneskim

Anyone else been having issues with summons lately on PS3?

Everytime I put my sign down and get summoned, I shift to the persons world but then am booted out.

Similarly, when I have tried to summon, the person enters my world but then is booted out straight away.

I've forwarded the ports on my router but no change - any help would be appreciated, really want to get collecting those sunlight medals.

No, but I have had an odd thing happen on PS3 several times - It is when I am summoned and climbing the ladder in Sen's after killing Ricard. I had it happen about 3 or 4 times in one session a few weeks ago - forgot all about it then just a couple of nights ago it happened again, but just before I got disconnected the other white phantom did right before me, so it couldn't've just been a fault at my end. Strange one.

Arjen

Goddamn, Lost Izalith made me go blind, what a horrible, horrible place. And then Bed of Chaos made me threw my controller away in rage. But i didn't stop until i beat that fucker.
That satisfaction was soooo good.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Question for all the no-upgrade SL1 people: Doing this run myself, so wanted to ask what is the best course of action to do the Catacombs, in respect to Divine weapons? Do you just rush the boss room with a shortcut, clear everything while dealing with respawns, or downgrade the Occult Club?

Ill Saint

Question for all the no-upgrade SL1 people: Doing this run myself, so wanted to ask what is the best course of action to do the Catacombs, in respect to Divine weapons? Do you just rush the boss room with a shortcut, clear everything while dealing with respawns, or downgrade the Occult Club?

Forget divine weapons, just rush through and drop all the way down using the shortcut.

I've been killing silver knights for 2 hours and got 10 straight swords, 2 spears and still haven't got one fucking shield. Fuck this random drop shit.

Arjen

Damn, Gwyn is eating me for breakfast. 2 blocks and my stamina is gone.
Read that the best way is to parry him, but i just can't seem to get the timing right.
Did everything else in the game, so i want this dude gone so i can get to NG+ :(

Arjen

25% of his heatlh left, 16 estus flasks left.
"Please reconect your controller"
Yeah, that was a rage quit... he will be my bitch tomorrow.

Soulhouf

Damn, Gwyn is eating me for breakfast. 2 blocks and my stamina is gone.
Read that the best way is to parry him, but i just can't seem to get the timing right.
Did everything else in the game, so i want this dude gone so i can get to NG+ :(

Are you using the Great Shield of Artorias?

Arjen

Yeah im getting the hang of it. Got him about 4 times when my controller crapped out. I'm using a knight shield+15. Is the Astoria shield better for parrying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom