• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

Yeah im getting the hang of it. Got him about 4 times when my controller crapped out. I'm using a knight shield+15. Is the Astoria shield better for parrying?

If you are going to parry, use a Black Knight Shield, you can farm for it on the Black Knights on your way to the boss. It resists 95% Fire and has good stability, it's almost overpowered for this fight. So you can block one or two attacks, then parry when you get the timing. Parrying Gwyn is easiest if you block then wait for his three hit combo, the attacks are predictable and telegraphed so it is easier to parry, a little practice and you'll get it easy.

protip: if you need a weapon/shield for the trophy, you only have to hold it. you dont have to keep it. so someone could drop it for you, you pick it up, and drop it back.

Sajjaja

Sorry man, I just got DAT WHITE TENDENCY.

0279_0mna2xyht.gif

There are no black invaders.

Yeah, but they aren't allowed the color. Name only, red color.

1336785323499.jpg

You don't call SunBros Yellow phantoms, you call them White Phantoms. Colour is irrelevant, name is all that matters.

Vaporak

Question, I thought I new how stunlock worked in this game. But I just got stunlocked by a shotel with 38 poise which I didn't think was possible. Anyone know?

maomaoIYP

Question, I thought I new how stunlock worked in this game. But I just got stunlocked by a shotel with 38 poise which I didn't think was possible. Anyone know?

Think of poise as a meter. The higher the poise, the larger the meter. As you get hit, the meter gets reduced. Once it empties, you get stunlocked. You can technically get stunlocked with any weapon.

Vaporak

Think of poise as a meter. The higher the poise, the larger the meter. As you get hit, the meter gets reduced. Once it empties, you get stunlocked. You can technically get stunlocked with any weapon.

Yeah, but a Shotel wouldn't stunlock on the first hit at 38 poise right? Thats what happened, he got a hit in and then could just keep pounding on me for maybe 4 hits total.

TUSR

Banned
I helped someone with the gamertag of DOC HOLLIDAY 707 or something like that, I've been doing level 50 Anor Londo summons, helping people out. Dunno if that's you, or if you are on PS3, don't recall.

I was referring to the No Fun Allowed picture.

Haven't had time to play in a while, after this finals week.

dosh

I was wondering something: when you start your nth new character and playthrough, and tear through the game like a bullet, do you like to solo your bosses or do you summon other players?
I tend to do the latter, the coop in Dard Souls being way too good to pass: it's quite funny to gang up and bully the gargoyles or that poor Gaping Dragon. I also find myself summoned more often by hosts who know the game well, rather than players obviously going through their first ng.

6for8

Yes. The DLC is the 1.06 patch, it's just that you cant access any of it unless you buy the DLC on the store (which is in fact a unlock key).

If you haven't purchased the DLC you can't access the new areas and some of the items. You can use the weapons and armour if someone drops them to you. Not sure if you can use the boss souls, but you can drop them. This info is anecdotal. I have dropped to friends that swear they don't have the DLC but who knows, they could be lying.

Anyone that doesn't have the DLC that wants to test this send me a psn invite (profile). I will drop some gear and a boss soul so you can try that as well.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I have pretty much accomplished everything in this game now. I don't know what else to do :(

I invade people and even thats not a challenge anymore.

You can pretty much run through Catacombs and TotG without engaging any enemies once you know the layout.

Catacombs has a short cut of a couple of drops from top to bottom you just run to Pinwheel from the ledge with Leeroy's summon sign, one bonewheel skeleton might sometimes chase you, you just dodge it and keep running.

TotG you can run past everything to the first bonfire, reset their positions and run to the next one - Black Knight will need dealing with once - from the second bonfire you can run past everything to Nito.

Arjen

Only problems i had with the ToG were those damn skeleton dogs, but then i figured out my choas fireball one shotted them.

Akito

Yeah, if you have some decent ranged attack, they should not be a challenge at all. Hell you could shoot most of them down the cliff by using the Dragonslayer Greatbow/Gough's Greatbow even if you don't have the stats for them. Still, I would not dare going down there without the Sunlight Maggot.

So I'm losing interest in Dark Souls, so I thought this is the perfect time to start a SL1 run. My weapon of choice will probably be reinforced club, with the Balder Shield. I'm probably going to skip the Depth and go through Blighttown backwards using the shortcut because I want Power Within. I want to unlock Sen's as quickly as possible so I can get large titanite shards to +10 my weapon. Finally I'll go get the DWGR and probably kill Sif before heading to Anor Londo.

It's actually quite liberating playing SL1 since I don't need souls to level up, I have plenty of souls to spend on anything I want

Soulhouf

So I'm losing interest in Dark Souls, so I thought this is the perfect time to start a SL1 run. My weapon of choice will probably be reinforced club, with the Balder Shield. I'm probably going to skip the Depth and go through Blighttown backwards using the shortcut because I want Power Within. I want to unlock Sen's as quickly as possible so I can get large titanite shards to +10 my weapon. Finally I'll go get the DWGR and probably kill Sif before heading to Anor Londo.

It's actually quite liberating playing SL1 since I don't need souls to level up, I have plenty of souls to spend on anything I want

It's recommended you get the chaos ember after beating Quelaag and then go to the Asylum and Great Hollow to pick up some Red Titanite Chunk.
After that you clear up Catacombs while making your reinforced club Chaos+1.

Easy mode.

What's the deal with weapons? Everything I find is too heavy, so I'm still using a Longsword +5. I think only one of my stats is above 20. I haven't put points into anything but vitality, endurance, dexterity, and strength. At least one of those might be redundant.

What's the deal with weapons? Everything I find is too heavy, so I'm still using a Longsword +5. I think only one of my stats is above 20. I haven't put points into anything but vitality, endurance, dexterity, and strength. At least one of those might be redundant.
Some weapons have minimum stat requirements, usually Dex or Str. If there's a weapon you want to use, increase your stats to the min. Stat requirements are on the item stat page for each weapon.

Longsword is a great weapon, no real reason to switch if you don't want to. Its normal attack is a pretty fast swing that can hit multiple enemies in close quarters, and its strong is a good lunge attack for covering distance or using in tight quarters.

Quick question: is Artorias' armor set worth upgrading? I love the look of it. Also, how is his sword? I figure it would look pretty good with the armor set.

Drewfonse

Ugh, Super Smough is kicking my ass. I've already beaten O&S on a previous play through, but this time has been brutal using a Pyro, as opposed to a Sorceror on my first play. Tips?

I'd love to summon Solaire, I don't have any Humanity.

Some weapons have minimum stat requirements, usually Dex or Str. If there's a weapon you want to use, increase your stats to the min. Stat requirements are on the item stat page for each weapon.

Longsword is a great weapon, no real reason to switch if you don't want to. Its normal attack is a pretty fast swing that can hit multiple enemies in close quarters, and its strong is a good lunge attack for covering distance or using in tight quarters.

New armor and weapons slow me down no matter what. I don't even see any stat correlated to it.

Ugh, Super Smough is kicking my ass. I've already beaten O&S on a previous play through, but this time has been brutal using a Pyro, as opposed to a Sorceror on my first play. Tips?

I'd love to summon Solaire, I don't have any Humanity.

Dark Wood Grain Ring made all the difference for me in NG+, for what that's worth.

New armor and weapons slow me down no matter what. I don't even see any stat correlated to it.
Do you mean movement speed? That's related to your Equip Load. You increase your ability to have heavier arms and armor equipped without slowing down by increasing Endurance.

If you have under 1/4 of your total Equip Load equipped, you are most nimble; under 1/2 you are normal speed; above that you move really slowly and have the 'fat roll.'

ProTip: heavy armor is generally not worth the burden of being slowed down. That is, it's better not to get hit at all, either through blocking (or parrying), moving, or rolling away from attacks. Use the saved weight to equip heavier weapons that you want to use.

Stencil

[summoning question]

Woop, my bad. Found it on the wiki...

Seems as though I never found Solaire, therefore I don't have the White Sign Soapstone... Shit I totally forgot where the boss battle took place where Solaire appears.

He should still be there though, right? That item seems like it should be unmissable.

First time poster (ITT at least) and I feel like a total loser at this game. Getting the hang of it but can someone explain Summoning to me?

How do I summon someone (NPC or another player) ? Is it only for boss battles? How do I make myself available for summoning?

I just don't understand. The Dark Souls Wiki seems to have no info about it, as though it's just common knowledge, I have no items that refer to it other than the Cracked Red Eye Orb and Black Separation Crystal, but those are of no use to my query.

Please help!

If you use humanity, then put it in a bonfire to become human, you can summon other players to enter your game and help you. People you summon have to stay within the area you summoned them into, and once you kill the area's boss, they get sent home (and you won't be able to summon anyone in that area anymore).

[summoning question]

Woop, my bad. Found it on the wiki...

Seems as though I never found Solaire, therefore I don't have the White Sign Soapstone... Shit I totally forgot where the boss battle took place where Solaire appears.

He should still be there though, right? That item seems like it should be unmissable.

Go across the bridge where you fought the Taurus Demon, turn left and Solaire should be down some stairs. He'll do his thing and give you the stone after you agree to listen to him.

Then get ready to PRAISE THE SUN!

Arjen

Finished it last night thanks to a helpfull phantom.
I'm so glad GAF led me to this game, it was absolutly amazing. Been a while that i've been immersed in a game like this.
Started NG+ right after, going to finish up some Achievements.

So for reason the bridge Drake didn't appear at all for my SL1 character, I ran up the bridge expecting it to come down as usual, it didn't show up. I got back on the bridge and ran through the second half, and it still didn't show up. Finally I ran all the way through the bridge from the sunlight alter, and the drake is still missing.

Has anyone experienced this before?

So for reason the bridge Drake didn't appear at all for my SL1 character, I ran up the bridge expecting it to come down as usual, it didn't show up. I got back on the bridge and ran through the second half, and it still didn't show up. Finally I ran all the way through the bridge from the sunlight alter, and the drake is still missing.

Has anyone experienced this before?
no, but i did have something similar happen with solaire not showing up. quitting and reloading the save a few times fixed it...might want to try that?

I almost forgot how luck-based the Ceaseless Discharge fight is, sometimes he will stand there picking his nose while I easily get into position, other times he will spam the full-screen attack the second he sees me. I can deal with that when I have the health to tank the hits, but this is simply unacceptable as SL1.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question: is Artorias' armor set worth upgrading? I love the look of it. Also, how is his sword? I figure it would look pretty good with the armor set.
If you love the look of it, then why not? If you've gone to the end of Crystal Caves, you can farm the Man Clams there for Twinkling Titanite no problem.

I made an Artorias build that fast rolls with the full (upgraded) armour set and sword. No magic and nothing in the off-hand ;)

It's pretty fun, and the full set gives 36 poise, I think. I even went crazy and put some points into RES, which has actually improved my rate of survival somewhat. My only real foes are those bastards with Ultra Greatswords. The patch didn't seem to nerf stunlocking like I thought it would...

Pretty much every PvP battle apart from that is great fun, especially as the Abyss Sword moveset is so varied. Catching people with the forward somersault move is ridiculously satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom